Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: S01.E11: Die But Once / S01.E12: Who I Am

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

In the Season 1 finale, Lucious has a secret that's about to change everything as he and Jamal seem on their way to forming a music-centered relationship. Meanwhile, Hakeem decides to flirt with the enemy; at the same time, he's trying to figure out what's the best move for his career; and Cookie cooks up a plan to get herself back on top.
  • Love 1

Looks like this is the end for now.  I can't say that I was all that impressed with this show's freshman season, but I'm hoping it goes out with a bit of a bang.  Then have the show return with more cohesiveness in the storytelling.  Fingers crossed!

Ain't it just like evil to live forever.

I don't know how to take that Lucious was misdiagnosed with ALS.  Is it a change due to the runaway success of this series?  Or was it planned all along?

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 4

LMAO!!!  Girl, THIS.  Just knew hell was bout to be unleashed in my living room.

It took me the entire commercial break to stop saying "No they didn't! No they DIDN'T!"

I may have more coherent comments after the finale, but I cannot promise anything.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 6

Oh jeez.. I wonder how many viewers just went to Urban Dictionary to define Batty Man?

Oh no!!  Cookie's got a broom!!!!  EDIT -- FALSE ALARM.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 8

I'm curious as to why Lucious saw no need to confront Boo Boo Kitty after catching her with his baby son's dick inside of her.  Furthermore, how could Lucious not want to pounce on Hakeem?  It's these lack of scenes that make me crazy!

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 8

I yelled "Aw hell na!" when Lucious no longer had ALS.

Same here. I'm kind of ashamed Myasthenia is the reason. I've had nearly 27yrs of accepting it screw's with me. But saving Lucious too now? Betrayal! ...though you can still die from a Myasthec Crisis or if it impacts your breathing a lot... So maybe if we're lucky...

• Love 7

ALS isn't going to kill this man? Ugh, fine hand me a gun and I'll do it!

Cookie and Anika's fight had me rolling.

Oh jeez.. I wonder how many viewers just went to Urban Dictionary to define Batty Man?

Not me! Sometimes the slang in this show goes over my head but I know what that means.

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 4

Uncle Vernon is dead?  Such a waste!  He was the mover and the shaker that this show needed.  Sigh!  Rhonda's pregnant?  By whom?

OK!  Where's Vernon's body?  Did Andre and Rhonda bury him somewhere?  Good grief!

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 9

Great finale. Shifting alliances, an arrest, and a death. Oh shit, Rhonda killed Vernon. Farewell Malik Yoba.

Terrance Howard was amazing tonight. He played Lucious as the devil incarnate. The laughing when he found out that he did not have ALS as scary as hell. Too bad Cookie did not kill him. I was surprised that he gave Empire to Jamal though. I still don't buy Lucious' contrition. He has some damn nerve calling Cookie a ghetto rat.

I was not surprised about Jamal threatening to throw Bertelli over the balcony. Jamal is the son most like Lucious. I was surprised that he did not beat down homophobic Black Rambo instead of challenging him. 

Cookie and Anika weren't playing. That fight was hilarious.

So Hakeem and Anika did the deed. Damn. Hakeem and Andre conspiring against Jamal was delicious as was Vernon betraying Lucious.

Patti La Belle and Jussi Smollet were great together in the final song. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8

These people need Annalise Keating. For real!

Vernon is everyone's secret keeper. I shoulda known he was a goner.

Boy - the power went to Jamal's head right quick!

That little throwback performance Hakeem & Jamal did in honor of Lucious was cute.

Speaking of which...is this the most we've heard from Lucious' back catalog? I love his album names-lol.

Wait - did Lucious just have a Don Draper-like confession?

And Mama Patti to take us on home!

This show owns me so much it is sad.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 6

Jamal is like Tyrion Lannister. The son the father least wanted is the son most like the father.

And Andre inadvertently cleaned up for Daddy (thanks to Rhonda) one more time.

This finale was everything I could have asked for. Next season is set up nicely.

• Love 15

So many twists and turns I feel like I was on a roller coaster.  Good thing Fox decided to forgo the "limited commercial interruptions" with ads every 5 minutes so I can write some coherant thoughts that will meld into a long list of moments.

They actually do it on a bearskin rug.  Lucious with his constant posturing then his drug fuelled halluciation.   The really tacky gifts (though it took me a minute why Cookie got a pillow.)  The multiple double crossings. The cat fight that turns into a team up. The unexpected death that I did NOT see coming.  Lucious getting his comeuppance...for now.

Oh show. What the fuck am I going to do until you come back!  (Other than watch Terrance Howard on another Fox show in May and hate on him there.) Thank you for the last 11 weeks of sheer wackiness, music, and turning TV upside down this year.  

To the Empire!

• Love 6

I'm a little shocked that the best thing from this cliffhanger for me is that Anika will still be a viable character next season. She's not my favorite, but she is desperately needed on this show.

Oh, but I do love how there is always a storyline twist to get Lucious off the hook and out of the corner he so intricately painted himself into. Vernon's dead. Ooops. Sorry Andre, I think he was going to tell you his plan before Rhonda dropped the hammer.

• Love 7

So much happened my head hurts.

Andre's just petty. He could have easily helped Jamal and then work his way over him. He couldn't wait for that and Jamal? I have no idea his mentality for wanting Jamal out and the company taken over. He and Jamal are close. The goof troop coming together with Cookie and BooBoo just made me root for Lucious and Jamal.  They couldn't have Jamal in charge so much they'd go give Empire stocks to this white George Bush looking guy with his awful rapping grandson? They've sunk low and for no reason. Cookie and Anika have reason, the boys are just looking ungrateful spoiled brats and petty.

Didn't think Malik had long for this cast when he didn't do any press and they didn't have him at the Emmy panel, not to mention what he said about Jussie in the press. Was shocked Rhonda's the one that committed the murder though, she was the last one I expected to be the killer. 

So Vernon turned to the FBI and was their star witness. Rhonda and Andre helped Lucious there. 

Love Jamal going badass, he's throwing people off balconies and he's doing rap battles alone. Then the look he gave Cookie when he knew what she did. 

The scene of Jamal and Lucious at their old house while they fought and then sang together was brilliant. So amazing a scene. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 6

In all honesty, I thought the wheels came off the bus a little bit -- Jamal and Andre's storylines moved so fast it just about gave me whiplash -- but at least they did not hold back!  Lots of interesting threads left hanging whenever S2 picks up. 

As backstabby as it was, a part of me kind of loved the Cookie/Anika/Andre/Hakeem team-up. That's a really interesting quartet of characters. 

Do they really think nobody's going to find Vernon?  Did he go into Andre and Rhonda's secret woodchipper?  Silly as hell.

• Love 5
Manslaughter and then a pregnancy announcement?  I need to pick Anika's pearls off the floor so I can clutch them!!

Please share some with me!

Jamal is the son most like Lucious.

Yep - I sort of enjoyed his turn to the dark side.

dammit, now I have to join twitter.

You do not understand how angry I am at myself for choosing this year to go on a Twitter fast for Lent!

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3

I may have to loop the Cookie vs. Annika fight! The most awesome part, of course, was that each time it looked like they might have calmed down they just went back at it! I love/hate the soapy twist of Rhonda's pregnancy, especially after she took out Agent Carter's key witness (which means, of course, that Luscious' stay behind bars will be considerably shorter than Cookie's. I wanted Andre to sing "Take Me To Church" to J.Hud. Everyone's singing it. I'm going to miss this crazy series!

• Love 2