Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: In Plain View

After a man is found bludgeoned to death on the side of the road, Jane and the squad team up with another detective who believes he is hunting the same roadside killer. Meanwhile, Maura discovers she has had her identity stolen and recruits Angela to help track down the culprit.

Meanwhile, Maura discovers she has had her identity stolen and recruits Angela to help track down the culprit.

Oh, for Pete's sake, show!

Yes, if I was Maura and my identity was stolen, I'd certainly turn to a meddling bartender rather than one of my numerous colleagues in, you know, law enforcement.

• Love 4

Were we not supposed to recognize Nial Matter as H!ITG! (the perp) with the blond hair?

If Maura is so wealthy that she can afford to let that degree of spending continue for even one minute while she "observes" the thief, then she should be working sans salary for the city if she really wants to work.

So is Maura being stupid the new theme now? Because I feel like the show is screaming it at me but I'm not buying it. Yes Maura's reaction to the identity theft was naïve and indulgent. So? The con artist was obviously not exactly a brain trust. So she let scientific curiosity and a bit of thrill override her sense to call in the police for about three days. And she went to a busy, public restaurant in the middle of the day to spy. I realize she was not listening to her smartest instincts here but I just didn't see the need for all the moron looks and tones they were giving her. Then again none of them were really freaking out about her safety. They were freaking out at the money involved which clearly didn't phase Maura. I assume that is because as she told Jane once, most of her money is tied up in investments and trusts so I'm guessing what this thief had access to was really only her living money. That black and white dress with the black and white heels was killer though. Then the black Birkin, OMG.

One redeeming thing in that storyline was Maura's conversation with Susie. I love their relationship. I love that they both knew Maura was getting what Susie was saying, she just didn't care. And that's Maura. But Susie lost major points for running to Jane when Maura specifically said she didn't want to yet. She's a grown woman, Susie. Even if it has to be with Angela, I would enjoy seeing Maura doing new things whether it's a restaurant or a new store.

I didn't like this case. It felt like it switched from not a clue who did it to obviously the detective did it with no intrigue in between.

• Love 1

Were we not supposed to recognize Nial Matter as H!ITG! (the perp) with the blond hair?

Did he have blond hair?  (I've already deleted it from my DVR.)  I thought it was just really, really short (I only know him from 'Eureka', so I don't know what his hair 'usually' looks like).

I agree that Maura was really casual about somebody spending her money.  I guess that she is covered if the person was using her credit cards, but wouldn't she worry about her credit rating?  One scene I thought was kind of sloppily written was at the boutique, when Maura asked if the saleswoman had that pink dress in her size.  Maura bought the dress (since we saw her wearing it later at the lab--pretty dress, but totally inappropriate for work-wear, IMO), but how did she pay for it?  I'm guessing she didn't pay cash, but if she used a credit card the saleswoman would have seen that there was a second 'Dr. Isles'. 

• Love 1

Okay, since my birthday is over, I feel free to say that Susie said she had already swabbed the handkerchiefs for DNA, because Frankie made such a huge deal about them being next to each other and possibly having cross contamination, so what was the big deal about them getting wet? They didn't lose the samples they had already taken.

• Love 1

I am so over this show!!! Both the plot and sub-plot had wholes in them so large you could drive a truck through. 

Now, I suppose to believe self-assured Maura is so insecure that she would let a person impersonate her and spend her money. I don't believe she would have allowed that woman to continue to impersonate her and not confront her.

To kill a guy for teasing you at camp 25 years ago, how lame is your life.

I am out!! I will catch on demand when there is nothing else to watch.

Well at least Angela was not acting stupid this episode. Oh Maura, sigh.

Do summer camps even have reunions?

I guessed the perp right away, and I don't usually guess the perp.

It was a nice moment with Jane and the little boy and the toy.

Maura bought the dress (since we saw her wearing it later at the lab--pretty dress, but totally inappropriate for work-wear, IMO), but how did she pay for it?  I'm guessing she didn't pay cash, but if she used a credit card the saleswoman would have seen that there was a second 'Dr. Isles'.

This is totally what I was thinking!

I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't recognize him, and I'm a pretty big fan. I even watched Primeval New World for him. I knew I liked the actor but didn't know who it was. I came here to find out!

• Love 1

I'm far from a slob, but I'm no fashionista, either.  So for me to notice clothing - good or bad - is uncommon.  That pink dress that was such a focal point?  I found it ugly as all get out.

• Love 2

I'm far from a slob, but I'm no fashionista, either.  So for me to notice clothing - good or bad - is uncommon.  That pink dress that was such a focal point?  I found it ugly as all get out.

Yes, I think that was perhaps a "fashion statement" (pun) by the wardrobe people. It served to illustrate that the real Dr. Isles was wearing rose colored glasses (another pun) regarding the taste of the thief.
I guessed the perp right away, and I don't usually guess the perp.

It's frequently the most recognizable guest star.  I hate that.

Taste is subjective.  I liked it, but it made no sense that she changed into it to go back to work.

• Love 1

One thing I don't get about this case.  Why did the killer visit the victim at this home?  What were they yelling about?  And why didn't the victim want his wife to know?  Also, when Jane was questioning the son about that, not once did she ask him if he heard what was said.  Wouldn't you think that would be important?  The kid kept saying he heard voices, yelling.  Surely he probably heard something, a word or two.  Anything would have been helpful.  And Jane didn't ask him?

One thing I don't get about this case.  Why did the killer visit the victim at this home?  What were they yelling about?  And why didn't the victim want his wife to know?  Also, when Jane was questioning the son about that, not once did she ask him if he heard what was said.  Wouldn't you think that would be important?  The kid kept saying he heard voices, yelling.  Surely he probably heard something, a word or two.  Anything would have been helpful.  And Jane didn't ask him?

Jane did ask Logan if he heard what the man and his father talked about.  Logan said he was so scared that he put a pillow over his head.  

I can't believe I didn't recognize Nial Matter - and even after knowing it was him, I have trouble recognizing him. I loved/hated him on Eureka.

Maura's plotline was totally done better, with more logic, on Friends. At least Monica was always sort of ridiculous, whereas Maura has always had it together and pretty much lived life on her own terms. What I couldn't believe is that immediately after an episode where they shamed Maura for frivolous spending, they went back to the light teasing they used to do - completely ignoring the "growth" of the last episode.

It seemed to me that the little boy must have told Jane some of what he heard - that was a pretty specific set of sentences they had the initial suspect read.