Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Discussion

Glory

I Lived is actually a pretty good final group song. I can handle that. I'm shocked they never did more OneRepublic songs actually (I love "Secrets" by them)

There are about a billion storylines where Apologize would've worked.

I'd rather listen to Becca or Heather or New Roderick Guy or anyone who is an actual member of New Directions sing that Sue or random VA songs or child stars or whoever. It's absolutely ridiculous that in your final 13 episodes you'd give 7 solos to some random guest star with no actual story and not to your main characters. It's ridiculous that each of the Originals and Blam wouldn't get a solo. 

I almost never care for the random competitor songs, even if they're good (and this VA incarnation, they tend to all sound the same to me). I tend to like songs more when there's an emotional context I care about, and the chances of that happening go up when they have actual characters singing. So yes, this is really stupid. 

• Love 3
The music this season is has been a mess. This really indicates show runners who really stopped giving a fuck a long time ago, or who just don't have a clue.

So Much Truth.  I can't add a thing to this comment. 

Rise sounds fine for a group song, but feels like I have heard it dozens of times before, formulaic anthemic type.

Ditto for I Lived.

As for "I Lived" being the last song it is okay but I wish they had done something older to honor Glee's classic rock start.

In a way, selecting I Lived is a perfect metaphor for Glee.  Glee started out inspiring millions with a soaring rendition of a classic song by a legendary band. It's ending with yet another bland, formulaic, pop anthem 101 selection made popular by a group that's maybe one step above a boy band.  Yeah, that feels about right.

• Love 5

It just confirms that even with just 13 episodes this year Glee's writing team are past the expiration point. For whatever reason they've lost all motivation for any old character, they simply don't care.

The writers, actors, directors, choreographers, whoever is in charge of the music...

• Love 2

If Parks & Recreation was a musical show, I'm sure main and significant recurring characters would have had ample song coverage in their final season...and then some old faves sprinkled in for nostalgia. Nope, we get people we don't care about singing as the big countdown to the end approaches. So, let's see how another show in its final abbreviated season (mis)handles their big send-off...

I almost never care for the random competitor songs, even if they're good (and this VA incarnation, they tend to all sound the same to me). I tend to like songs more when there's an emotional context I care about, and the chances of that happening go up when they have actual characters singing. So yes, this is really stupid. 

It would be one thing if there were actually storylines involve any of the characters in VA (such as the way the Warblers were handled back in season two), but with Will having left them, there's absolutely no reason to give this much focus to them. And there's no reason for all of these random VA numbers. It's overkill (and not in a good way).

It's not as if the show has so much time to spend building up all these divergent storylines and spending an entire episode focused on a walk on character that we'll never see again. Rachel's story is going to get a jet-pack attached to it to rush her back to success by the end of the season (which is sure to make it oh so satisfying), Kurt's got no storyline now that he's married and Blaine and Sam are spinning their wheels. This is one of the moments where I really wish that FOX had gotten the balls to do what was necessary and cancel this season rather than trying to let RIB save face.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 3

Rachel's story is going to get a jet-pack attached to it to rush her back to success by the end of the season (which is sure to make it oh so satisfying), Kurt's got no storyline now that he's married and Blaine and Sam are spinning their wheels. This is one of the moments where I really wish that FOX had gotten the balls to do what was necessary and cancel this seasons rather than trying to let RIB save face.

The only story I've been completely satisfied with this entire season is Brittana and Santana/Abuela. So I'm glad I got that, but as for everyone else? Yes, this is massively disappointing. 

And it's a shame because I thought the first two episodes this season had promise. But it looks like Rachel is going to win everything without even trying, Kurt and Blaine's only purpose was to marry each other (to be fair that's kind of true of Brittana but I guess it bugs me a little less with them because their relationship and Santana coming to grips with her sexual orientation was her biggest story--I don't feel the same applies to Kurt). 

And everything else just feels. . .irrelevant. I don't care if Glee Club still exists, I don't care if they win sectionals, I don't care about Sue and whatever craziness they're going to make her do (and I'm actually dreading it). I don't care about vocal adrenaline or the wanted guy. I just wanted to see the originals (and even Blam) get satisfying endings. 

I went into this season deciding it was poorly written fanfiction, and for the most part, I'm sticking with that. To me, it ended in New Directions with Will saying goodbye to the choir room (which based on this season I feel like will be more satisfying than the actual ending). 

It would be one thing if there were actually storylines involve any of the characters in VA (such as the way the Warblers were handled back in season two), but with Will having left them, there's absolutely no reason to give this much focus to them. And there's no reason for all of these random VA numbers. It's overkill (and not in a good way.

It's not as if the show has so much time to spend building up all these divergent storylines and spending an entire episode focused on a walk on character that we'll never see again. Rachel's story is going to get a jet-pack attached to it to rush her back to success by the end of the season (which is sure to make it oh so satisfying), Kurt's got no storyline now that he's married and Blaine and Sam are spinning their wheels. This is one of the moments where I really wish that FOX had gotten the balls to do what was necessary and cancel this seasons rather than trying to let RIB save face.

It almost feels like this last season is written as a revenge/screw you tactic to FOXTV for not giving Ryan his full 22 episodes order. I mean there has got to be some logical reason they are trashing this final season so badly. Even if its not that's the theory I'm going with because if this is the writers still attempting to make an effort than may they never ever get another writing gig!

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 1

DarrenCrissNews confirmed that Darren has an original song in the finale too.

Makes me wager more on Blaine becoming a songwriter for a career - if they actually tell us what people not called Rachel are doing 5 years down the road.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Makes me wager more on Blaine becoming a songwriter for a career - if they actually tell us what people not called Rachel are doing 5 years down the road.

You're probably right given that makes absolutely no sense continuity wise.

Blaine is such a blank slate of a character though that it doesn't even matter what he ends up doing, everything will be kind of a surprise. I mean, before he got into NYADA I didn't even know he wanted a career in showbusiness given that the show had never had him say anything about dreams or aspirations. I mean, except for being-with-Kurt, the only actual motivation he ever had.

So, sure, song-writer, why not. Hell, Quinn is studying drama at Yale, apropos of nothing.

• Love 2

You're probably right given that makes absolutely no sense continuity wise.

Frankly, it makes more sense to me than becoming a doctor or a teacher. At least it's singing/performance related, and Blaine's showboated more than I care to remember.

With these showrunners, I can believe their attitude for Season 6 was :  "You know what? you fans are always bitching and moaning about song distributions for the characters, well guess what , FUCK YOU, we are going to give a nameless VA guy most of the solos for the season and Sue also more than the old characters, and give the rest to mostly the new characters.  So again, FUCK YOU and you're whining!"

I mean, it's sort of  awe inspiring in a complete asshole kind of way....

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

I'm often all for awe-inspiring middle fingers to the establishment, but aren't these people the establishment now? Don't they have multiple shows across multiple networks? Seems a silly hissy fit if it's that over a creative choice or contractual thing nobody not in the negotiations would ever understand.

Would anybody at FOX care given the season 5 finale numbers and everything after? This show can't be something anybody serious cares about beyond getting it off the books ASAP. Would they get involved in any creative decisions? I doubt it unless they thought the FCC was about to fine them for something. Unless Will is going full frontal, I'd think they'd be letting them finish this out however so long as the budget wasn't busted.

• Love 1

Yep.  I really feel like that is what the majority of this season has been about.  "The Hurt Locker" was almost entirely about that.  And I have to say as much as I loathe Kurt/Blaine I feel like their fandom has been the biggest target.  Now some in the fandom may deserve the mocking but not everyone or even the majority of their fandom deserves it.   Besides that the writers mocking those fans who have stuck with the show, while so many other have bailed, is bad form.  

As far as song distribution that seems to be both about tweaking fans and showcasing Max George. Weird and annoying.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 3

Speaking of uncertain connections, Lynch refuses to acknowledge the budding romance between Sam and Rachel. Perhaps speaking as Sue, she simply tells us, “There really is no Sam-Rachel relationship. I think they’re just friends. That’s all there is.”

Jane is me.

• Love 2

From Jane Lynch's article here it seems the 5 year time jump is only a few scenes which I figured.  Here is my guess. 

• The framing around 2009 is Rachel trying to choose between NYADA and Broadway which makes her reflect on where it all began.  It ends with her choice.  
  • We spend part of "Dreams Come True" seeing Rachel off including ending the Sam/Rachel whatever.  
  • There is one last scene in the choir room before Rachel leaves where Will is singing to the group.  This is teach your children
  • We do some quick flashforwards in this year of ND at Nationals/Rachel at NYADA (as I think she goes back to school)
  • We do the longer flashforward of 5 years where Rachel wins her Tony
  • Then the party which has the original 5, Jesse, Will, Blaine, and Sam
  • Last song is out of context in that Rachel/Will are reminiscing at the party about all the people who have come through ND.  Fade to song.  If it isn't a Rachel/Will scene (which I would bet good money it is) it could be the whole group just talking and we fade to the song
Edited by camussie

Knowing that Jonathan Groff is coming back for the finale is all I need to know that Samchel is not endgame. 

Speaking of uncertain connections, Lynch refuses to acknowledge the budding romance between Sam and Rachel. Perhaps speaking as Sue, she simply tells us, “There really is no Sam-Rachel relationship. I think they’re just friends. That’s all there is.”

Jane is me.

Jane is all of us.

• Love 7

I was 50/50 on it.  Simply because of how far the show went in completely downplaying Sam/Mercedes by having Mercedes be Sam/Rachel's biggest cheerleader.   The main reason I was 50/50, though, was them recasting Sam/Rachel's high school interactions into something much more than they were while simultaneously writing Finn as some dude in the choir.   I realize the Glee writers are idiots but there was no reason to go that far to erase either Sam/Mercedes or Finn to sell the Sam/Rachel fling.  

Then again them going that far just seems like part of their long line of screw you's to fans this year.   Some people were against Sam/Rachel last year because they thought it was too soon after Finn passed?  Well screw you fans.  For not liking our vision we are going to erase Finn from Rachel's high school memory wall and replace him with Sam.

Season one Rachel would shank one of her fathers for a Broadway role. I'm not sure where the conflict is.

Season 1 Rachel hadn't blown up her Broadway career through immaturity and inexperience.  Everything Carmen predicted would happen, did happen and it seems what is coming up is Rachel not wanting to make those mistakes again.  Since season 1 Rachel wanted a career on Broadway (versus one or two roles which she blows thus becoming persona non grata) it seems older, wiser Rachel is trying to decide how to best achieve S1 Rachel's dream.  By going back to Broadway even though she still may not be ready?  Or by going to school to develop the foundation she needs?

Edited by camussie
  • Love 3

See I thought for those reasons they weren't endgame, add the hypno, Sam singing a love song to Cedes, its what Glee does, not too mention verything was one sided, Rachel's side.

Anywho, love Jane LOL

I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or relieved that we probably won't also get flash forwards of everyone else. On the one hand, I certainly feel like all the originals deserve the same amount of closure as Rachel, Klaine, and Sam (and I'm saying Klaine since I'm sure there's will be a joint flash forward). On the other, I feel like I could come up with endings more satisfying to me than the Glee writers could, and I get the feeling I'm going to hate wherever most of these characters we are getting FF will end up. 

Also, on the note of Samchel, although we're pretty much known this since we've known Jesse is coming back: Thank da Lord Samchel isn't endgame. Knowing how awful these writers are, I wouldn't have been surprised if it had gone that route, although I'm not particularly surprised they aren't either. It's bad enough they went there to begin with. 

<p>

From Jane Lynch's article here it seems the 5 year time jump is only a few scenes which I figured. Here is my guess.

• The framing around 2009 is Rachel trying to choose between NYADA and Broadway which makes her reflect on where it all began. It ends with her choice.
  • We spend part of "Dreams Come True" seeing Rachel off including ending the Sam/Rachel whatever.
  • There is one last scene in the choir room before Rachel leaves where Will is singing to the group. This is teach your children
  • We do some quick flashforwards in this year of ND at Nationals/Rachel at NYADA (as I think she goes back to school)

• We do the longer flashforward of 5 years where Rachel wins her Tony
  • Then the party which has the original 5, Jesse, Will, Blaine, and Sam
  • Last song is out of context in that Rachel/Will are reminiscing at the party about all the people who have come through ND.

Fade to song. If it isn't a Rachel/Will scene (which I would bet good money it is) it could be the whole group just talking and we fade to the song

There's also a flashforward with Will/Emma and their children, and one with Kurt/Blaine in NY. Edited by Sara2009

It seems like Tina, Artie, and Mercedes will also be included in the flash forwards if only at Rachel's party.  I bet we find out what they have been up to. We also see future new direction and Will with another baby so that takes care of him as well.  

Edited by camussie

It seems like Tina, Artie, and Mercedes will also be included in the flash forwards if only at Rachel's party. I bet we find out what they have been up to. We also see future new direction and Will with another baby so that takes care of him as well.

Two new babies actually. Aren't twins the ultimate wish fulfillment? LOL

I love all the Samchel tweeters now claiming they prefer no end game for them, just a journey for Rachel to find love again. Bullshit.

Haaaaa!!!!!! I'm sorry. I am being so petty. I'll do better.

And Mercedes has a solo in the FF, and according to one of he costume people, her outfit is epic!!

Do we think that was the scene Chord mentioned on Twitter? do we think maybe that means Sam is there and they end up together? Ugh..... I kind of don't want that now. These writers have ruined Samcedes for me. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens. I bet I'll get all sappy/nostalgic anyway and love it.

• Love 1

On another note there is one thing I like in the preview for this week - when Rachel says the kids are quiet, Will asks her if she is doing all of the talking.  I like this because I am desperately hoping that when Rachel leaves Lima she says she needed to be there to re-charge but she also realizes she doesn't have the right talents to be the type of teacher those kids need.  If this show wants to honor the arts and education it would be nice if they didn't end on a note of well anyone has what it takes to be a great teacher but only the special people can be performers.  

On another note there is one thing I like in the preview for this week - when Rachel says the kids are quiet, Will asks her if she is doing all of the talking.  I like this because I am desperately hoping that when Rachel leaves Lima she says she needed to be there to re-charge but she also realizes she doesn't have the right talents to be the type of teacher those kids need.  If this show wants to honor the arts and education it would be nice if they didn't end on a note of well anyone has what it takes to be a great teacher but only the special people can be performers.  

I know they won't do this but It would be a nice touch if Rachel did junior master classes for young girls in the future.  And of course I have said before I wish her Mck legacy would be her setting up a booster club for the ND and/or arts education.

• Love 1

I actually hope they don't have Rachel do a junior masters class because it would just underscore Glee's skewed view that anybody has the talent to teach but only the truly special ones can make it on the stage.  I would prefer that Rachel and Kurt both end their tenure with ND saying it gave them what they needed but they realized it is not something they are built for unlike Will.  Bonus if there is a glance to Finn's picture in a conversation like that.  

• Love 1

I actually hope they don't have Rachel do a junior masters class because it would just underscore Glee's skewed view that anybody has the talent to teach but only the truly special ones can make it on the stage.  I would prefer that Rachel and Kurt both end their tenure with ND saying it gave them what they needed but they realized it is not something they are built for unlike Will.  Bonus if there is a glance to Finn's picture in a conversation like that.  

No it would show Rachel giving back to the community as many professionals do when they shared their experiences to young people every day all over the world. 

A masterclass is not taking place of a real teaser it is a extra chance for the student to get to learn from a professional.    It is  a good tool that many experienced  teacher and schools use all the to time. to enhance the children's  learning experience.   It would actually be a extension of thier push for the importance of arts education. 

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1
I actually hope they don't have Rachel do a junior masters class because it would just underscore Glee's skewed view that anybody has the talent to teach but only the truly special ones can make it on the stage.  I would prefer that Rachel and Kurt both end their tenure with ND saying it gave them what they needed but they realized it is not something they are built for unlike Will.  Bonus if there is a glance to Finn's picture in a conversation like that.

This.

Sometimes the best and brightest artists are the WORST teachers.

They say Ted Williams,the great Redsox hitter was a bad batting coach because it came so instinctive to him he didn't have the patience to teach mechanics to young baseball hitters.

Edited by caracas1914
A masterclass is not taking place of a real teaser it is a extra chance for the student to get to learn from a professional.    It is  a good tool that many experienced  teacher and schools use all the to time. to enhance the children's  learning experience.   It would actually be a extension of thier push for the importance of arts education.

I don't think Rachel has what it takes to do a masters class.  As of right now she is too self involved for something even as limited as that. After all she is supposed to be giving back right now and in doing so she promised Kitty she wouldn't bail but we know she does just that.  Now I am sure it is with Kitty and the rest of ND's blessing but that still tells me Rachel has no business teaching anything, including a masters class, ever again.  Let her shine on stage I say but keep her away from classroom instruction forever because teaching in any form is not in her skill set.  It would be a dream come true of Glee actually acknowledged that.  Instead I am betting she gets praise heaped on her for being a great teacher as she bails on them to go to NYC.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

Gee who would have  thought suggesting Rachel in the future gives back to kids as a mentor would be a bad thing. 

she promised Kitty she wouldn't bail

She promised she wouldn't leave until her job was done and glee  club was permanent .   And with Mr Shue at the helm and I am sure other things like Sue in check that will be true.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

As for Rachel being a mentor I don't think it is giving her too much heat to say that the Rachel I see as of right now wouldn't be a good mentor.  She is, of course, an insanely talented performer but that doesn't automatically equate to being a good mentor.  The really frustrating part of this is I thought through "Jagged Little Tapestry" we were seeing a different side of Rachel - one that has been chastened by her mistakes and therefore was determined to forge a better path forward.  Her stint at being a coach was pleasantly surprising me and then it went off the rails the second she asked Will to throw the invitational.  It went further off the rails when the focus of Rachel's story shifted away from her getting ND back on its feet to her dating Sam and everyone and their dog taking a turn to gird her whatever challenges life brought her.

Edited by camussie

I think the one and only time they actual gave her time as a mentor with Jane she was encouraging and gave her good advice.   

SMH is shaking my head becasue  I do  not get why future Rachel could not be a good mentor and it it would show the growth everyone is always whining about.

• Love 1

Whining?  It isn't whining to have a different opinion about Rachel's growth or lack there of. As for her being a mentor in the future I would need to see some build towards that in the present and unfortunately since around the 30 minute mark of "Jagged Little Tapestry" they have all but given up on telling the story of Rachel coaching those kids or for that matter Rachel showing some growth.  

Believe me I wish this season was shaking out differently but it isn't and yes I include Rachel bailing on ND after she made Kitty that promise.  I am sure she leaves it in Kurt's and Will's capable hands but that doesn't change it is one more thing she doesn't see through.  The dumb part is it wouldn't be such an issue that she doesn't see it through if she didn't make an explicit promise to Kitty.  The writers had to know the season was ending with Rachel leaving ND before they made it to nationals but they went ahead and included that promise anyway.  

Finally, believe me, I wish I was happy future Rachel was going to win that Tony but from spoilers we have so far it seems like wish fulfillment fanfic that is completely unearned.  TPTB had one last chance to set Rachel's story right this season and they blew it with too much focus on her whatever with Sam and with taking the easy route of just giving her another chance rather than having her earn it through owning up to her mistakes (like saying I blew it instead of "it fell apart") and then putting herself out there again.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 5

No the whining part  is that it repeating it over and over again not the sentiment.   I actually agree about the lack of growth.

And again I think Rachel will honor what she promised which was she won't leave until she knows glee club is stable.  I see no problem with that.  She didn't promise to stay with glee or that she would get them to Nationals or anything else just that the club would be there.   I think they worded it that way intentionally. 

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1