Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Don't Tell Jeffrey!

• Start Topic

I think I must be crazy. We got back from a week in Florida yesterday afternoon, and tomorrow morning my club is have a lecture fundraiser to raise money for charity. I volunteered to make mini quiches to contribute to the refreshments. I have a meeting Tuesday afternoon, after which we are getting company for the rest of the week through Sunday. I'm doing my best to make the kitchen not look like a dirty dish bomb went off. My daughter's suggestion of getting the quiches at Sam's was looking pretty good earlier this afternoon, but they are done. Okay, I'm done venting to my cooking friends.

• Love 1

Oooo, grisgris!   You're a brave soul to have had that surgery.  How well are you walking these days?  I hope you're soon as good as new (or better).  You must have had an empty tummy to have dreamed about food and Ina and Jeffrey.  I wouldn't have minded having a dream about a private cooking lesson with Ina!  I thought the funniest part of your dream was Ina teaching you a recipe for yet another crisp!

Hope you'll soon be jumping rope with the other girls in your neighborhood!

Annzeepark914, there are LOTS of recipes from the two Silver Palate cookbooks that we enjoy.  A few of our favorites include Pasta Primavera Gregory, Creamy Pasta Sauce with Fresh Herbs (good on angelhair and fettuccine), Pasta Carbonara ... and we love the Stuffed Artichokes Fontecchio.  I tend to gravitate toward their veggie dishes because it seems I'm liking less and less meat these days.  There was a recipe of theirs in Parade's Sunday supplement about 10 years ago that caught my eye.  It's now one of our favorite one-pot meals.  I can't think of the name of it because we always call it "beans and greens." 

Chessiegal, talk about living on the edge!  I hope your Sam's Club quiches got you through the luncheon OK.  At least no one can accuse you of not living life to the fullest!

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

Hi. I am doing as well as can be expected two weeks out from surgery. It's slow-going, but still beats the total heck out of the awful pain I was in before. I wish I could have a "Cooking with Ina" dream where she reveals the secret to the HVPoD. LOL!

@Lura: I have a page from an old Parade magazine from 2002 and there was a recipe for "Tuscan Oven Greens and Grains" that I have, to this day, never tried. At first, I thought maybe it was the recipe you referred to, but after re-reading your post, noticed that there are no beans in the recipe I found.

and we love the Stuffed Artichokes Fontecchio.

I just looked up that recipe, and it sounds delicious!  Next time I pick up some artichokes (they grow pretty much year-round here), I'll be giving that a try.  I'm drooling in anticipation.

I am getting so excited for Ina's new book that comes out the 28th.

I don't entertain much anymore, and family gatherings are normally potluck. Plus my arthritis can interfere at the last moment. But I am doing a luncheon for 4 late in Nov and Christmas Eve for 3 and it dawned on me I could divide one of Ina's recipes (like the pastitcio, chocolate cake) and problem solved! And some fill ins to go with them.....

I highly recommend to those interested to watch the video on QVC (just search Barefoot Contessa) and lots and lots of recipes are shown on a huge table. She is pure Ina in the 22M segment. So many ideas and recipes I'm apt to regroup over and over on a menu but so relieved to I can pull the little parties off and do both ahead! And for those that entertain lots of people at a time...win-win.

Good grief...there is even a do-ahead turkey (???!!!) and a prosciutto wrapped pork tenderloin, stuffed potatoes - regular and sweet. And on and on.

But then I love Ina's philosophy of make some things, buy some things, and assemble some.

• Love 2

Maggiemae, your enthusiasm is contagious, and you have me excited to see the cookbook, too!  I know what it's like to cook through pain, so I hand it to you and some others for keeping going!  I think it's great that you continue to go on with your luncheon and other plans at holiday time!  I know it isn't easy.

Here is the recipe for "Beans and Greens."

BLACK-EYED PEAS AND GREENS PASTA

If Swiss chard is unavailable, spinach is an acceptable substitute.  It will required 1 or 2 minutes' less cooking time.  Parsley may be substituted for the cilantro; but definitely use the stems -- that's where the flavor is.

1 cup dried black-eyed peas                                                                                               

1 bouillon cube (vegetable or chicken)

1 bunch Swiss chard (washed, with stems trimmed), chopped

3 Tablespoons olive oil

1 medium-sized onion, chopped

2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced

2 medium-sized red bell peppers, cored, seeded, coarsely chopped

1/2 green jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced

1 tablespoon dried oregano* (see note below)

1 teaspoon ground allspice ** (see note below)

2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian plum tomatoes, crushed, with juices

2 Tablespoons tomato paste

1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro

Salt and pepper, to taste

1 pound rigatoni or penne pasta

1.  Soak peas overnight, covered with water.

2.  Drain peas and cover again with water.  Add bouillon cube, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until peas are just tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour; set aside.

3.  Place Swiss chard in a pot with 1/4 cup water and cook, covered, over medium-high heat to wilt for 3 to 4 minutes.  Drain and reserve.

4.  Heat 2 Tablespoons oil over low heat.  Add onion, garlic, red peppers and jalapeno pepper; cook, stirring, until vegetables wilt, about 10 minutes.

5.  Add Swiss chard, oregano and allspice.  Cook, stirring, 5 minutes more.

6.  Add tomatoes, tomato paste, cilantro, salt, pepper and cooked peas.  Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring sauce occasionally.

7.  Before serving, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.  Cook pasta until al dente, or just tender.  Drain and return to pot with 1 cup of sauce to moisten it.  Divide pasta among 8 bowls or plates and ladle remaining sauce on top of each.  Makes 8 servings.

NOTES

* I use 1 teaspoon of oregano for flavor.

** I use only 1/4 tsp. of allspice because it threatened to overtake the recipe, acc'ding to my taste buds.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

My birthday is next week, so my husband ordered the new cookbook for me. It won't get here in time for my birthday, but that's okay. She posted a recipe for cookies from the new book on her FB page today. They sound yummy.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1

Chessiegal, what day next week is your birthday?  Even though you won't have your cookbook by then, please let us know what you think of it.  Mine is on pre-order, and I don't remember when they'll send it.

Speaking of birthdays, mine was yesterday, and I went to my parents' house for dinner.  One of the their gifts to me was a 5-piece set of Progressive magnetic stainless steel measuring spoons, which I had seen recommended in another thread.  I haven't used them yet, obviously, but I really like the concept: because they're magnetic, they stay together without needing to be on a ring, and when you accidentally jostle them in the drawer, the stack won't tumble down.  Plus, each spoon has two ends of the same measurement - one round and one oval, increasing the chances you can fit the spoon into the opening of any given container (and letting you measure the same amount of liquid and dry ingredients with one spoon).  And the base of each of those two sides is flat, so they don't tip over if you set them down.

And I had a delicious dinner of my favorite surf & turf (which I request every few birthdays): my dad grilled filet mignon, my mom made her oft-requested crab cakes (with only enough non-crab ingredients to just make them hold their shape) and we accompanied that with some roasted asparagus and a mixed-greens side salad.  Plus a lemon cake for dessert.  And a nice bottle of cabernet.  Tonight I'm having dinner with a small group of friends at a great local wine bar.  Tomorrow will be such a culinary let-down.   

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

Belated Happy Birthday, Bastet!  It sounds like you had a delicious celebration!  Your parents went all out on that meal.  I saw those Progressive measuring spoons somewhere, and I loved them, but I didn't buy because I already have too many.  Somebody was really thinking when they designed those.  I hope your mother is getting around without discomfort now.

Thank you for asking about my mom, Lura (and for the birthday wishes).  Yes, she recovered very well from her knee replacement surgery, amazing her medical team with how quickly she regained flexibility and strength and how little pain management she needed.  So we're hoping she has the same trajectory when she has the other knee done after the first of the year.  (The only pain she's had for months now is in that knee, which is in just as bad shape as the first one was - bone on bone.)  And, of course, we look forward to seeing Chester the Therapy Cat in action again.

Ina's new cookbook just came in the mail today.  I haven't had a chance to really look through it yet, but I did read the index.  My impression -- and it was only my first impression -- was that there were a lot of familiar recipes in it from shows we've seen.  I did become semi-excited about a French Chicken Pot Pie until I saw that Ina merely substituted the usual veggies with a couple that the French enjoy, such as leeks.  Didn't Ina make French Toast on her show?  There's a recipe for Raspberry French Toast.  I hope I'm wrong in my fear that Ina has completely exhausted every recipe in her cache.

I think I've spotted something new: Parsnip and Pear Gratin.  Anyone remember it?

Edited by Lura

My book arrived today. My first impression is that it's not just a cookbook, it's a read with information I want to take some time with. My husband is going through it with things he wants to try. Good thing is, when I'm cooking, he always says, what can I do to help?, and he does!

• Love 2

I got an email from ATK that included a rating of box brownie mixes, and along with Ghiradelli,they recommended Ina's Outrageous Brownie Mix. Didn't they dislike it not too long ago? I thought she got out of boxed products. (Yes, I know she's getting out of the frozen dinner mixes).

I am in 100% agreement with you about Ghirardelli chocolate, Annzeepark914.  Several years back, I did a little experiment.  Every time I baked with chocolate, I used a different brand.  I tried six or seven of the "best brands."  Ghirardelli came out better than all the rest (with me, that is) in taste and texture.  Some of the other chocolates had a sharp or harsh flavor, as if they were trying to announce themselves in brownies and frostings.  Ghirardelli was strong but mild tasting with a very pleasant aftertaste.  The consistency was even more pronounced.  Ghirardelli (as you said, annzeepark914) was smooth and creamy, much more so than the others.

Has anyone else tried those Ghirardelli chocolate squares that come in a small bag?  They're a little bit on the expensive side, but they're an amazing treat!  They come in several varieties, my favorite being the milk chocolate with the caramel inside (which I think they all have).  They're like little 2"X2" wafers.  Do yourself a favor and try a bag when you want to indulge in a guilty pleasure.  If you want to sample Ghirardelli's creaminess, this is a wonderful and delicious way of doing it!  Wouldn't you say that "doing research" is a great excuse for eating chocolate?!

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

When Costco has a bag of those squares on special, my parents and I share one as a treat.  I love the dark chocolate and mint ones best, but some of the milk chocolate varieties are quite tasty, too, even though I much prefer dark chocolate.

Hey, Lura: Wow...a taste test of brownie mixes--love it!  I'd say we are all indebted to you for your major sacrifice in time & then, gee, having to eat all those brownies (a tough task but we love ya for doing it! :>)  Glad Ghiradelli came out on top in your survey.  A few years ago, I was trying to watch sugar (heh heh...so, make brownies, of course) and so I bought Pillsbury's sugar free brownie mix or something like that.  I think I added a tiny bit of vanilla to that mix as well.  They weren't the worst (a little gooey in the texture); they were ok which was fine considering they were sugar free.

Happy Halloween everyone!  Mr. Park914 is answering the door, handing out candy to the kids, wearing a jester's hat. He wanted to wear a red mask with it but I said that would be too bizarre.  It's really cold out tonight--49 degrees.  Hope the kids are wearing their woolies under their costumes :>) 

I love the Ghiradelli squares!  My favorite is the sea salt one. 

I used Ghiradelli for a chocolate friand and ganache recipe this weekend, and it was really fantastic.  I use Hershey for cocoa, though.  Does Ghiradelli make cocoa?  Is it better than Hershey?

• Love 1

Yes, Ghirardelli makes unsweetened cocoa powder and sweetened hot chocolate mix. I used to make the brownie recipe on the Ghirardelli can, which gives a result that is similar to their box mix, so I just use that. I am not really a fan of mixes, but there are a couple - Ghirardelli brownies, Krusteaz lemon bars - that give a better result than what I can make from scratch.

Thanks, annzeepark914, for the compliment, but I didn't use brownie mixes.  I made them from scratch and used the same simple recipe for all of the chocolates.  It had nothing added, like chocolate chunks or nuts, to distract from the chocolate flavor.   

With the exception of Ina's Outrageous Brownies, I don't especially care for brownies.  They always taste so dry to me, as if they need a creamy frosting or ice cream with them.  I made them in this test because I thought they'd be the best at showing the true chocolate flavor.  Incidentally, I did frost them because that allowed me to taste the chocolate in two different applications, the brownies and the frosting.

Edited by Lura

Thanks, maggiemae. I found that recipe and 2 things gave me pause - 1) pass through a food mill, don't have one, don't want to buy one, and 2) 4 cups of packed basil!? I love basil as much as the next person, and I can see the recipe makes a huge batch, but it seemed like too much. Although on poking around on line, it almost seems like a fusion between a Martha Stewart and Michael Chirarello recipe. Now that I think about it, I wanted a soup that was smoother, so I could do this one, I think with less basil, and use my immersion blender.

I'm hosting a meeting for 11 women next Monday, and I was thinking, now that the weather here has turned cooler, one of the things I could serve for lunch was tomato soup.

• Love 1

Speaking only for myself, I would much prefer Ina's Tomato Soup with Basil than I would any soup with eggplant.  I can't be the only person with an aversion to eggplant.  Of course, if you know these women's tastes very well, you might have a good idea about what they like and don't like.  Of course, I love just about anything that contains basil, so my choice of soup is a no-brainer!  Can you still get fresh tomatoes where you live, chessiegal?

In addition to the Senate Bean Soup I mentioned upthread, Joy of Cooking also has a fantastic recipe for vegetable beef soup.  I quadruple the recipe, then serve one batch and freeze the rest.  It's wonderful to have on hand for a hearty and delicious lunch.

Edited by Lura

Lura, none of the recipes I looked at had eggplant in them. Our produce stands have closed, but since Ina's call for roasting frersh plum tomatoes, I'm sure what I can get at the grocery store will work. I also like that she says it can be served hot or cold, so I'm thinking I can make it the day before and just warm it up the day of the meeting. I also think I'll use my immersion blender to get it to the consistency I want. I'm  still not sure about 4 cups of basil.

I'm  still not sure about 4 cups of basil.

IMO, that sounds like a recipe destroyer.  I'd just buy one of those basil "plants" in the produce dept, snip off a few leaves, cut into slivers and toss into the soup. How bad can that be?

Edited by annzeepark914

I know you have moved past the waffle festival, but I was catching up, and you should know about another new cookbook:  "Will It Waffle?" by Daniel Shumski ($14.95).  I have read about it, not seen it, but it does sound like anything that did not move faster than the author had to answer the question.  Reviews say his ideas are great.

And annzeepark914,  I have so many favorite Silver Palate recipes!  Chicken Marbella (best make-ahead recipe ever); liver pate mousse that friends still ask for, twenty years later; best avgolemono soup (just ate some!); carrot-ginger soup that I must make every Thanksgiving; best chocolate truffles (which I use as frosting to rave reviews); terrific banana cake that a friend wants every birthday (which I frost with the truffle mixture), etc.  It is full of traditions for feast days among my friends! 

• Love 1

Chessiegal, just use your immersion stick blender for the tomato soup, I think it works just as well and is half the work!  Plus, I like texture in my soup, and I think the stick blender keeps that attribute.

Is there a reason you want to avoid cream?  You can add a splash for richness and it doesn't really alter the appearance of the soup at all. 

I don't use a recipe myself when making tomato soup.  I saute onions, add some garlic and thyme, add diced carrots, and then add tomatoes.  I'll make an oven roasted tomato, toss in a few fresh tomatoes, and then use the whole peeled tomatoes out of the can.  I think it gives the soup a lot of dimensions and flavors.

Lura, I am kind of with you-I am very specific about how and when I like eggplant.  I like it in Eggplant Parmesan, I like it grilled, and I liked it in the way Sean Brock prepared it with blue crab at Husk Restaurant in Nashville, but that is it.  I find it tasteless with a weird texture most of the time, the exceptions being those listed above.  However, I did try out a spread that I can freeze that also works as a pasta sauce with roasted eggplant and roasted red peppers and it's also quite good.

My DH likes being the programmer of shows to be taped.  He tells me that there's no new Ina this week.  Does anyone know what's going on?  It was my understanding that Ina had begun a new season of shows.  We've only had a couple of them, and now it's back to reruns, I guess.  Am I wrong?  Once again, I'm disillusioned, disappointed and confused.

I'd almost be willing to send Ina down the river and latch on to someone else's show, but whose?  Is there one person with a cooking show on either channel who is good and reliable?  IMO, Ina is so good at doing what she does that nobody else seems to come close.  Actually, I'd think that Ina has done her part and completed the taping of ten new shows, which means that the FN is doling the shows out, every few weeks, one at a time.  Does anyone feel like complaining to the FN?  I will -- if I have company!  One complaint wouldn't amount to anything.

Edited by Lura

Is there one person with a cooking show on either channel who is good and reliable?

I don't get the Cooking Channel, so I don't know whose shows air there, but among the FN cooking shows, Ina's is the only one that features recipes I consistently like.  My favorite cooking shows are all on PBS.

I agree the best cooking shows are on PBS. CC shows I like are Bobby Flay's brunch show and Kelsey Nixon's Kelsey's Essentials. One show she did sandwiches and said one was going to be on a baguette. I thought big deal, but then she showed how to make the baguette, and she made it look easy.

Edited by chessiegal

I love Symon's Suppers on the Cooking Channel.  I also like Bobby's brunch show, too.  A few people have mentioned that they like that Nadia chick, but she drives me absolutely batty.

Awwww,  dear Nadia from the old Bitchin' Kitchen show...we love her! (and her crazy compadres).  If you ever want a laugh, look up her "never gonna drink again" song on youtube.  We especially enjoy the guy whose name no one can pronounce.  But she can be a bit much if you're not in the right mood ;>)

I'll have to watch Symon's Suppers--love Michael Symon.  Yes, indeed...we who love the BC now have to search for cooking shows that are as interesting as hers (and that's not easy).  So thanks for the tips!

• Love 1

I LOVE Brunch with Bobby!   As a matter of fact, I hoped it would be on the Forums list, but I didn't see it. I tried to add it several times, but I must have been doing something wrong because I couldn't do it.  If anyone feels like playing angel today and adding it to the list, it sure would be fun to talk brunch -- Bobby's in particular.