Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

Middle school sucks!  Especially right now.  The students are driving me insane, with I don't wanna, this class doesn't count, so what if I fail it, it doesn't mean anything. 

Student:  You lied to my parents, I didn't refuse to do my work.

Me:  Did you do your work?

Student:  No, but I didn't refuse to do my work.

Me:  Just because you didn't scream I refuse to do my work, doesn't make it any different.  If you choose not to do it, you did refuse!  (Hits head on desk)

My energy is being sucked dry.  I slept most of Saturday away and wondered where did my weekend go?  Some of these students I will not miss ever...I'm afraid the feeling is mutual.  But I have seen really bad students change in high school and some as soon as their freshman year.  The problem I think most students have in common is that everything is so easy for them now.  Teachers are expected to give everything on a sliver platter.  We were allowed to be bored in school, to have monotone teachers and have to learn how to learn on our own.  Now kids are supposed to be entertained and heaven forbid you take their phone away.  lol

Good news school is almost done and hopefully I'll be feeling more alive soon.  Otherwise maybe Amara sucked my soul away or I'm in the empty waiting for Dean.  lol.  Not a spoiler, just my warped sense of humor.  So hang in there, this too shall pass.  :)

• Love 3

Small Talk: The Impala... Speaking of which, my daughter and I went to an event supporting Random Acts at the Hollywood Blvd theater to view the finale last night on the big screen. It was great seeing the boys in "super size".  But we saw something else too... a rebuilt 1967 Chevy Impala decked out for the boys. We had photos taken (again, money to support Random Acts) and we also took some camera shots of the car. First, the open truck which has all the things the boys carry. Second, the guy who restored "Baby" dressed as Bobby.  A great night for a great cause! 

Trunk Clip.jpg

Here's the Impala. The wonky site won't let me upload both at the same time.

Impala and Bobby.jpg

• Love 3

So...was there a grenade launcher in there?!

Hey, all...anyone looked at their personal messages lately?  I'm trying to get to a message but any time I go to my inbox, I get a "something went wrong" error message.  Just want to know if it's only my inbox, or something systemic.

15 minutes ago, Omegamom said:

Hey, all...anyone looked at their personal messages lately?  I'm trying to get to a message but any time I go to my inbox, I get a "something went wrong" error message.  Just want to know if it's only my inbox, or something systemic.

I just sent you a message. Let me know if you got it.

7 minutes ago, Diane said:

Micklady just wanted you to know if you see this we are thinking of you. Hope you are doing alright and sending strength your way. We miss you!

So Say We All!!!

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Omegamom said:

I haven't had any issues with my messenger, @Omegamom, but I do know you can disable the messenger, maybe you did this by accident? 

(edited)

This isn't about SPN so I didn't put in the media thread, but it's an interesting article on the abundance of TV shows, the influx of movie starts into TV and how it's both good and bad:  

The Business of Too Much TV

There are more great shows in production now than ever before — but it’s never been harder to make one.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/peak-tv-business-c-v-r.html

A excerpt I found interesting. .

This new reality doesn’t mean veteran TV actors are suddenly out of work, or even working for less than they once did. The big broadcast networks are more than happy to offer employment to someone like Michael Weatherly, who left NCIS and quickly found work on Bull, which CBS just ordered to series. But if someone like Weatherly wanted to go and star in a series for Netflix or Amazon, there’s a good chance he’d come away empty-handed. “People who are really well known for having been a part of a successful show, it’s more difficult for those type of people [to break out],” says a partner at a major agency. “It’s going to be very hard for someone like that, someone who was [the star] of a giant CBS procedural at one time, [if] all they want to do is the next cool Showtime thing.” That’s because, for the most part, premium networks and even some basic-cable channels aren’t interested in TV stars anymore

.Not surprisingly, this doesn’t always sit well with actors. “There’s a pride thing that comes into it,” the agent explains. “They’re not getting the roles they’re accustomed to getting.” And yet, he quickly adds that many of these big TV stars aren’t wasting too much time sulking. “People who ordinarily only want to be No. 1 on the call sheet, and the key player in the show, they’re now thinking about being the fourth lead on a [streaming series],” he says. Helping to ease the pain of making the transition from broadcast big shot to a supporting star on streaming is that it’s often not that big of a financial hit, given the sums Netflix and others are now throwing around. “If they have a $100,000 quote from being a lead on a CBS show, they can probably get $75,000 to be the third or fourth name on a streaming show,” the agent says. And while their faces might not be front and center on billboards and bus shelters, their reputation as actors might be much improved. “You get to be a part of a show that’s probably going to be part of the awards circuit for the next five years,” he says. “You’re just not going to be at the center of it.” Indeed, the sheen of streaming is such that some actors who’ve been significant co-stars on network hits — including, per multiple sources, Parks and Recreation’s Nick Offerman — are now telling their agents they only will consider doing a streaming show or HBO.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

I'm not 100% sure this bodes well for our guys. After SN, I'd rather see them (Jensen especially) in another high quality series on cable or stream. Better I think, than an occasional smaller role in a movie or two. So, not good news if this is accurate. :(

• Love 1
4 hours ago, FlickChick said:

I'm not 100% sure this bodes well for our guys. After SN, I'd rather see them (Jensen especially) in another high quality series on cable or stream. Better I think, than an occasional smaller role in a movie or two. So, not good news if this is accurate. :(

I think our boys are wise to ride that Supernatural train until it's boring and they are prepared to live in the reality of acting that is out there.  It's possible to get another series but look at the "Friends", "Seinfield" and other well known actors.  It's slim pickins and takes YEARS to get traction.  So, I expect both are trying to setup for never having another dollar of new show/movie/whatever income.  They'll have residuals, conventions, etc... but otherwise, getting movie parts is very hard and getting another primetime series is just as bad if not worse.  It's like the actors fall off the radar after 6 months and pop up again 5 years later.  SOME keep working, but being the headliner?  Not so much. 

• Love 3
On 5/27/2016 at 4:35 PM, SueB said:

They'll have residuals, conventions, etc... but otherwise, getting movie parts is very hard and getting another primetime series is just as bad if not worse.  It's like the actors fall off the radar after 6 months and pop up again 5 years later.  SOME keep working, but being the headliner?  Not so much. 

It's a gamble and many have gone behind the scenes.  So I don't blame them for sticking with SN until they've grown tired of it.  But Jensen is friends with some good directors so he might have a chance...

Kind of frustrated.  My boss told me by accident that I was changing rooms again.  This is my 4th room in 4 years.  My biggest gripe...that I'm told one day before school is out with the kids.  Now I've got to pack everything up and I'm losing more storage again. 

The only up side...I didn't unpack all of it because I was scared it would happen again.  The tears are over, but I really wish I could find another career.  I don't get why I'm the person that people feel they can just dump on.  I had sent an email asking weeks ago and was lead to believe I wasn't changing rooms.  I just love how I'm ignored.  She is a new boss, but not making me excited to have her right now.  Don't think she'll be as bad as the one she replaced, but I guess I was right not to trust her...

• Love 2

Bummer 7kstar. It's never good when you feel like you can't trust your boss.  Maybe she'll gain some insight over the next few months.  

• Love 1

Yikes, catrox. I hope nothing got broken. The largest I've experienced was a 4.6 (to maybe 4.9... there is a variance), but the center was maybe a 120 miles away or so. It felt so odd, I wasn't even sure what it was at first. My hubby slept through it (because it was at 5 in the morning), but I was awake thinking "what the heck is that?" It felt sort of like that feeling on a plane when the plane all of a sudden goes doooooooown really fast (like a downdraft) with a little added vibration.

But that exercise game - not to be played watching early season 1... when Sam drives the Impala a few times - or one would be in a world of hurt... or at least I would, since I'm pretty sure 500 pushups would pretty near kill me.

On 6/10/2016 at 3:59 AM, catrox14 said:

So that was quite a little earthquake we just had...5.2. Shaked, rattled and rolled. Not even kidding. Yikes!

Yikes, never experienced and earthquake.  Hope everyone and everything is okay. 

13 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

But that exercise game - not to be played watching early season 1... when Sam drives the Impala a few times - or one would be in a world of hurt... or at least I would, since I'm pretty sure 500 pushups would pretty near kill me.

My days of exercise games like that is long gone, but 500 pushups would kill nearly anyone wouldn't it?  I guess the real question, is how many times has Sam really been allowed to drive the car over the seasons?

Mick Lady hope you're feeling better and if you check in anytime soon, let us know how you're doing?

• Love 1

LOL I think the 500 pushups for Sam driving the Impala was to point out how rarely he does drive it. 250 seems more reasonable. Adjust the game according to your specific health needs.

Which BTW why isn't there 16 ounce curls....! ? ( beer joke)

Yeah everything is fine, re earthquake but they showed almost 500!! aftershocks in that vicinity. Either pressure was released or we are all doomed. Potatoe/Potato

FYI. Misha has taken over Tumblr for GISHWHES. They are doing the scavenger hunt online for the next 30 hours.  I made a longer post in the SuperNormal thread. 

I don't know about ya'll today, but I'm just incredibly saddened by the Orlando shooting.  I can't even watch convention coverage.  I just don't WANT to be happy.  Or light-hearted.  

So... I'm literally distracting myself today with Supernatural (S01 episode catch up to those doing the rewatch). Because. 

• Love 4

I was really dishearten by Christina Grimmie's death, such a peaceful loving soul and then the next day was the Orlando shooting.  Today I have the migraine from hell.  So not feeling upbeat.

On 6/12/2016 at 6:27 PM, SueB said:

So... I'm literally distracting myself today with Supernatural (S01 episode catch up to those doing the rewatch). Because. 

Maybe this would be a good idea.  Trying to get myself to clean and declutter, so I could do two things at the same time...

Hugs to you, 7Kstar.

Is anyone here Zennefair on AO3?  Not a writer, hangs there as a reader.

My 11-year-old car needs $2,500 worth of work...so after delaying it for two years, I'm taking the $$ and putting a down payment on a new (used) car.

And it's fire season here in NM; there's a wildfire about 30 miles south of us and very visible from our house.  Last night, the wind shifted around midnight and our bedroom suddenly smelled of smoke.  Much better than having it, say, four miles away!  But I am sorry for the folks who live right near the fire; pretty thinly populated area, but still...

And my muse has deserted me.  No story ideas percolating.

1 hour ago, FlickChick said:

I actually liked Air Supply back in the day. *runs and hides in shame*

Just because I'm trying to avoid my life right now, I'll tell you a silly little story. When I was 8- or 9-years old, my best friend had a portable 8-track player. When I say portable, I mean it wasn't really all that portable. It had to weigh 20 lbs and was probably 2 feet wide (yeah, that's probably an exaggeration...sue me!). Anyway, we would lug that thing out to the football field and listen to her two 8-track tapes during recess--singing and dancing along. We were such dorks! One tape, was Chicago and the other Air Supply.

Needless to say, when Dean started singing All Out of Love back in S7, I almost fell on the floor laughing. Good times, I tell ya!

Maybe later I'll tell you my Def Leppard story... .

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Diane said:

This 80's grad did (does) to, cough cough.

Same. I LOVED Air Supply...until one day I didn't. LOL I still like them though.

Re the Orlando murders. I have to watch in bits and pieces. I watched baseball and the con coverage because it made me smile and I needed to smile. I'm sad but I'm mostly angry.

I was sad and mystified that schoolchildren were murdered by someone with an assault weapon and that didn't compel us to take action to ban those types of firearms. I was sad and angry about the Aurora shootings because those hit me a bit too personally as they happened literally 3 miles from the house I grew up in and my mom lived in until she died. I was shocked and hurt that someone could mow down 75 people and kill 12 just because they went to a movie, with an assault weapon.  And now 49 murdered and 50 others shot because an assault weapon was used. Would that shooter have taken lives without one? Probably but he wouldn't have mowed down that many people in that short amount of time.  

I'm just disgusted.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I'm sad but I'm mostly angry.

Warning major rant ahead. I'm angry and I need to vent. So I apologize in advance...

I agree. I mentioned elsewhere that it annoys me having these feelings of wanting to do something to fix things (when I can't), and having questions that likely won't be answered... The latest example of that was tonight. My hubby is a CNN kind of guy, so if there's nothing else on, I generally let him watch that before he goes to sleep. Well, tonight the police chief was on to potentially answer one of my big questions - which was how did the gunman get inside when the security guard saw him, but it took so long for help to arrive? - except he didn't answer that question really. He made more questions in my mind, and completely pissed me off. What he said made some sense - that the guard waited for backup when he found out he was outgunned, but the chief said that backup took a matter of minutes and then they went in right afterwards and those actions caused the gunman to retreat which saved a lot of people, because the police were actually inside getting people out... but then came the part that annoyed me and pissed me off. He said that after they scared the gunman into the bathroom area, that there was no more shooting. He repeated this multiple times with emphasis. I've been watching the coverage. Unless the "matter of minutes" for the backup to arrive was closer to 45 minutes, this contradicts the stories I'd seen previously.* Like the guy who texted his mother from the bathroom, saying that he was trapped and scared and that the gunman was coming. That guy died... in the bathroom as far as we were told. So someone isn't telling the entire truth. And their were other stories from people hiding in the bathroom about hearing the shooting and the guy coming closer and into the bathroom where other people were shot, including on of teh survivor's friends who was in the bathroom. So are those survivors lying or mistaken? Or is the police chief pushing his agenda (and I can't believe Anderson Cooper didn't call him out, but he might've needed time to put together the discrepancy.)

That makes me angry when people are using a tragedy to further their own agenda, cover their own ass, or both. If the story about that poor guy texting his mom was real - along with other witnesses' stories about how that animal shot people hiding in the stalls - then how dare that police chief diminish their deaths just because he wants the police to be the heroes, and insist that no one else died after the heroic police came to the rescue "a few minutes" later. I don't begrudge them waiting the time after that to blow the door, because they needed to assess the situation and wanted to try to negotiate, but to say that there was no more shooting after the gunman was chased into the bathroom when so many stories had said otherwise. Just no. And it means we may never know exactly what happened, because it sounds like the victims here are going to be considered less important than twisting the truth and covering ass.

* And if it was only a "matter of minutes" when the police came in with no shooting after that, how did he shoot nearly 100 people, many multiple times, in such a short time period?

I'm so angry, and like you, catrox, disgusted.

• Love 3

Just FYI, if y'all can handle the subject matter, I cannot recommend the ESPN 30 for 30 about OJ Simpson  "OJ Made in America" enough. It's the best documentary ESPN has ever done and they do some good stuff.  Incredible. Amazing. Also it's very tough because they show some horrific and graphic crime scene photos.

All episodes are on ESPN on demand and check your listings for the air dates

1 hour ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Just no. And it means we may never know exactly what happened, because it sounds like the victims here are going to be considered less important than twisting the truth and covering ass.

We may never know the whole truth, but I can tell you when I got robbed at the bank, we hit the alarms before they entered and it took the police ten minutes to even show up,   In my case they were long gone and no one was hurt.

Also from the training we were required to do, the death rates or injury goes up when you have a live guard.  The valid question is how this guy got in armed.  Chaos once the shooting began would definitely create problems and we may never have the whole truth of what happened. 

But having different stories of what happened from the survivors isn't surprising.  In my robbery, the person standing next to me said there wasn't a gun.  I said two guns with very detailed descriptions and the rest said only one gun.  There weren't any shots being fired.  Now add to someone being shot and what you remembered wouldn't be the same but take the parts and you can paint a bit more of what really happened. 

People believe their point of views even if it isn't totally true.  I don't doubt all of these stories are have some truth.  The question is how long did it take to get the police into the bathrooms.  Time for the victims could feel forever and fly by at the same time. 

I had training to be observant and still had trouble with parts of what happened.  Most people aren't trained and with emotions running high it will be hard to find out all pieces.  But the police will have the agenda to make people feel safer even if it isn't totally true.  My problem is that the news isn't objective like it should be and hasn't been for a long long time. 

I don't know if anything I'm saying is making any sense or even if it helps, but maybe it will start a conversation for a real solution.  Would tighter gun laws help, not sure because someone that wants to do something like this won't have any problems breaking any rules.  But if we can start a conversation, we might find some better solutions.

6 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Is that the one that's a miniseries - like 10 episodes? If so, I have heard it's really good, catrox. I have on demand, so may have to check it out.

You might be thinking of the FX docudrama The People Vs OJSimpson which I also HIGHLY recommend which features Gordon aka Sterling K Brown as Christopher Darden.

The one I recommended above is an actual documentary that's 5 episodes 90 minutes each. It looks at OJ's whole life from his youth to now. It's fascinating.

(edited)
1 hour ago, 7kstar said:

People believe their point of views even if it isn't totally true.  I don't doubt all of these stories are have some truth.  The question is how long did it take to get the police into the bathrooms.  Time for the victims could feel forever and fly by at the same time.

Oh, I completely agree. However with the case of at least two of the victims, there were text messages which I assume have time stamps.* So we know the son who texted his mother was still alive at 2:51 AM. (they had the mother who shared the text messages on CNN). The son ended up being one of the victims, so he died sometime after 2:51 AM when his last text was. (and eerily his last two texts were "he's [the gunman] a terror" and "yes" (to his mom's question "Is the man in the bathroom with U?"). After that the mother's texts went unanswered.

There was also a daughter who called her parents after 2:30 AM. She was also one of the victims, though she was wounded in the arm by the time of the phone call. The news reports said as of Tuesday afternoon, her parents still didn't know how she died. If there is any question of what time their daughter called, the phone company should have the record.

So in these cases at least, there should be time documentation evidence if someone can figure out the rest of the details. The daughter may have died of an arm injury sustained before running into the bathroom, but I don't think that was the case for the son.

And if the police didn't get into the club until after 2:45 or 2:50, I'd call that a little more than "a matter of minutes."

*(I'm a weirdo. I have a "dumb phone" and I had the phone provider turn off texting.)

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

You might be thinking of the FX docudrama The People Vs OJSimpson which I also HIGHLY recommend which features Gordon aka Sterling K Brown as Christopher Darden.

The one I recommended above is an actual documentary that's 5 episodes 90 minutes each. It looks at OJ's whole life from his youth to now. It's fascinating.

I was thinking of the documentary. The guy who made the documentary was a guest on Jimmy Fallon, I think. They showed a clip. Coincidentally, he was just on Seth Myer's show also talking about making the documentary. (My TV says that the episode wasn't a rerun, so he must've first been on Jimmy Fallon. Those are the only two I watch.)

Edited by AwesomO4000
Shortened post - no need for so many details. The info is on the interent.
17 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

was thinking of the documentary. The guy who made the documentary was a guest on Jimmy Fallon, I think. They showed a clip. Coincidentally, he was just on Seth Myer's show also talking about making the documentary. (My TV says that the episode wasn't a rerun, so he must've first been on Jimmy Fallon. Those are the only two I watch.)

Oh okay. Yeah check it out. It's pretty remarkable.

Will do!

And weirdly when I said that he was just on Seth Myer's show, that was literally... as in right after you were recommending we watch it in your post above, the guy who made the OJ documentary was being interviewed on my television.

• Love 1
(edited)

I figured something silly would be helpful and Oh My Gods. The silly in this. I literally laughed until I cried watching this. This just ticks my silly bone in all the right ways

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

This is one reason so many people died in Orlando and Sandy Hook. On the right is a standard 9mm bullet from a pistol. On the left is a 5.56 mm that the AR 15 rifle uses. These bullets tear people apart. One survivor described helping one of the injured and said that his arm was like it was divided in two. The rifle has one purpose - killing people. It shoots these bullets at the rate of about 45 rounds per minute. 

It's just horrifying to think about.

More info here http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/01/02/gun_control_ar_15_rifle_the_nra_claims_the_ar_15_rifle_is_for_hunting_and.html

9mm_large.PNG

12 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

Our team is DeepPurpleWings. You can search for it and join. If you can't find it, pm your email and I can send an invite. 

Done!

• Love 1
(edited)

Time for an overshare... skip if it squicks you...

So, when I was 19, I was nearly raped by a frat-boy who was walking me home so I would be 'safe' after being at a party.  I fought and yanked on his privates and got away.  Near miss and like many women was too ashamed to do much but cry and get support from my friends.  I survived and was much more cautious after that.  Well, the guy had a beard. And honestly, I never thought much about beards before then but since... well, I won't let my husband or son have one.  I didn't want to literally touch one again. I mean, I was okay with my bearded brother in law giving me hugs but ...IDK.  Anyway, at DCCon, Mark Shepard (for reasons I cannot possibly understand) gave me a fabulous hug and a check to check picture with his beard.  And it was soft.  And I wasn't squicked.  I was too busy being delighted. Of course I got massive hugs from ALL kinds of bearded handsome men at the Supernatural convention and it didn't phase me. And now I see a picture of Misha Collins, one of the gentlest souls I have ever met, and I realize... damn, I think I'm over it.  My beard issue, that is. So, I think I owe the boys of Supernatural a thanks.  I probably won't mention this to hubby or son, but I think I also won't fuss at them if they get a beard. So long as it's soft. 

Edited by SueB
  • Love 3

Perception is a funny thing. My asshole-of-a-father had/has a beard and I still don't trust men who have them. Every time I see pictures of these nice family guys, I just have to look away. I don't like thinking of them as skeevy assholes. My brother in law is currently sporting one and it makes me shiver to look at him sometimes. I just have to keep telling myself, he's really a nice guy underneath that beard.

So, don't feel bad @SueB, I'm right there with ya.

• Love 1

I'm sorry that happened to you, SueB.:( I saw a photo op story someone posted on Tumblr and she said that Jensen's beard is soft so maybe that will help reinforce your more positive reactions to beards now. :)

• Love 1

Sue B, So sorry to hear what happened.   I'm glad you've found a replacement image and a positive reaction to beards.   I'm not a big fan of beards, but there are a few guys that look better with them.  However most of the time, I'm like nope you look better without. 

One of my nephews, it looks good on him, it's neat and trimmed and not very long.  His brother, however, nope I don't like it. 

Sometimes I wish we could meet in person and hang out, but then I wonder if I would find myself just staring and not saying anything at all.  It's easier for me to write than talk in a group setting.  Went to a retirement party and was ready to leave in a few minutes as I didn't have much in common with anyone and found myself tongue tied.  Give me a script and I don't have a problem in front of a crowd but creating my script...

I forgot about this until today. It was a pet fur Castiel I made for GishWhes last year. It only came to mind because of the wings. It was made from the fur of my beloved Siberian Husky. He really needs a miracle right now. He had surgery but he's not coming back from it very well. If there is no improvement tomorrow, I'm going to have to let him go. The fur isn't sticking very well anymore. My other two dogs are the coat, pants and tie. I am going to find a way to preserve it. 

IMG_2749.jpg

• Love 1