Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Nia Risks It All

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

After a chaotic first week in Los Angeles, things do not settle down when Abby and Holly have their biggest and most shock fight ever, causing Holly to go behind Abby's back to work with a huge star despite the consequences. Maddie prepares for another big Hollywood job, and all the girls soon are on edge when Abby announces an open call audition in Los Angeles. Holly and Now grow especially fearful of their futures with the ALDC.

I was impressed with Nia's singing, but unfortunately I can't stand Aubrey O'Day. It is nice if she is genuinely interested in Nia's future and is trying to help her. Hopefully Abby doesn't find a way to ruin it, which I'm sure she will try. Only Maddy and Mackenzie are allowed be successful.

• Love 1

How the hell did JoJo get lice?

Probably from rolling around in a dance studio floor, sharing brushes, costumes, etc., where another kid had lice. Gym mats are notoriously filthy. Google wrestling mat herpes some time, if you're brave.

Jojo is really good and doesn't bother me, but she and her mother seem to be irritating the dance moms (Abbey's an idiot who doesn't count) more than any other duo on there. Lots of annoying moms have eventually been accepted, and I don't think they've disliked any of the other kids, but there are so many eye rolls and smirks at her. 

The thing that annoys me the most is that I get the distinct feeling that some juicy stuff goes on that causes the huge blow ups and we are not privy to it. Much like christy's blowup when Abby allegedly said something about Chloe's eye but it wasn't aired, something had to have been said off camera or unaired to make Holly lose it like that.

So much wrong, I missed the first 8 minutes, but apparently they were 8 important minutes, so while I get the jist of what happened I don't know exactly what happened.

Lice-gate... What the f with Jojo's moms slam about getting it from the other girls!? Did any other girl miss practice for lice!? Its not like a cold or a runny nose, where someone could have spread it and not neccessarily shown symptoms... Lice are pretty much either you have them or you don't. Plus how they kept saying she was getting "treatment" it made it sound like she was undergoing chemo or something.

I will say I do not really agree with Abby pushing for her to watch "Carrie" I'm 32 and I've never seen it, but I know it's a violent movie, probably not appropriate for Jojo. But I think it was a little shady/sneaky that clearly Jesslyn didn't think it was appropriate, because she did have plenty of time with all of the lice treatments for jojo to watch it if she wanted to, I doubt jojo just sat there all day... But instead of disagreeing with Abby she said she didn't have "time"

I'm not sure I agree with Holly's methods, but I do think she has a point that the other moms are saying they have her back but the minute Abby walks in the get silent... But she was the exact same way when Christi had issues... And she even talked a little trash once Christi was gone.

OH! I almost forgot... Nia is such a better person than I am, because when snotty little Jojo said backstage "now you know how I feel" I would have stabbed her in the eye... That was so inappropriate of Jojo, and I'm glad all of the girls were quick to correct her that Nia is an actual team member.

• Love 1

Jojo's mom said "Abby's not in her right mind" and on the last episode Kira said something similar. Plus that weird moment backstage last week where she seemed out of it and had two water bottles on her desk. Is Abby hittin' the sauce?

I would not be surprised at all if Abby had a drinking problem. I have a gut feeling that she seems the type to abuse prescription pills, but I have nothing to back that up.

I just want to know if jojo might suffer some self esteem issues as she gets older. Jessa Lynn even said she wanted a blonde baby but was disappointed her daughter wasn't born a natural blonde.

I missed some of Jojo's earlier days on the show, so I missed that she's a bottle blonde? Yikes, Jessalyn is a lunatic.

I'm just watching it now but the first thing that is stange is that the girls are lined up in their dance attire when Holly starts in on Abby. Then Abby says " Girls - you can go in the other room and can dance." The girls are already filing out as she says this and in their coats and sweats so something happened and a bit of time passed between the 2 shots. But the cameras did stop rolling and the girls were already told to gather their things and move to the other room. Why they would put on their coats and sweats just to move to another room which they wouldn't know which room as they had just arrived at the new studio. This was obviously filmed out of sequence.

You all are going to be sick of me! How did Abby know that Holly called O'Day and asked if she wanted to help Nia? And again - here she goes sabotaging Nia.

Abby's statement about "Parents know that if they go against Abby - even though it's not the kids' fault - they are the ones to suffer" - has been the whole premise of this show from the beginning - Kelly, Christie and now Holly - and I think this is the biggest mistake Abby makes when it comes to her personna. She and Nia are supposedly real close behind the scenes - but Joe Blow on the street only sees how she abuses and takes it out on the kids if she has a problem with the mom. I thought it was also interesting how quickly Nia "learned" the dance. She had to have some idea of the steps and formation before hand.

I agree with the above poster about Abby wanting Jojo to see Carrie - I thought Jojo did wonderful without viewing it. I disagreed with Abby, who may need glasses - I thought Jojo had great expressions - I got the story just from watching her. I think Kendall's music stopped on purpose so she would be awarded more points. She was a trooper though and did well.

Group dance I really liked - but again - Maddie is the focus point.

Now Matty B - I had to look that up - an "up & coming?' Justin Bieber.

I missed some of Jojo's earlier days on the show, so I missed that she's a bottle blonde? Yikes, Jessalyn is a lunatic.

Since she was around two!  Momma wanted a blonde baby and by gravies-she got one with a bottle of Clairol.  That child will not have any hair by the time she is 20.

• Love 3

I guess they didn't need anymore drama for this episode -- but they went up against Club Dance this week (Kalani's actual studio!) and I'm surprised they didn't make at least a little bit of a storyline out of it.  

Not surprised that Abby didn't give Maddie a solo this week, despite all the hoopla about Talia last week, this week's competition was probably even harder and Kendall was up against some amazing dancers.  I can see why she seemed so nervous backstage, and why Jill and Abby seemed very happy with how she placed.

She beat Jaycee's solo: http://youtu.be/aOAAtHnwCW0

and she beat Brynn: http://youtu.be/MiAmvHjf8cE

I also thought the girls looked REALLY surprised to win the group category, so I looked into what the competition was...

They beat this: http://youtu.be/u7AZbFbaQow

and this: http://youtu.be/-154vfVXxPs

I guess dance is subjective! Although its not a fair competition really.  I couldn't find the Sheer Talent versions of these solos on youtube, so I posted other ones and by some of the dates you can see the other girls have known their dance for months.  Still though, that shouldn't really matter as far as a judge is concerned. 

Anyway, this episode was all over the place.  I do think Holly is in the right, but she also needs to get a grip and stop embarrassing herself on tv.  I don't remember her being this ridiculous in the past about Nia being a "star".  And Abby seems actually insane at times.  At the end of the pyramid at the beginning of the episode when she started doing her pouty-i'm-going-to-cry face I couldn't help but laugh a little bit.  She tears these little kids apart, and then cries and runs away when anyone even remotely answers back.  And why did she give Nia that sweatshirt that said "stay strong" -- but still didn't let her dance? And why is Jojo around at all?  I guess its in her contract... its not like she is winning or blowing anyone away.  Same old I guess! 

Edited by sofiah

Save the tears for your pillow Abby.  She's such a weepy moody mess--  I wouldn't be surprised if she was hitting the sauce.  Booze is one thing you can sneak around a lapband.  Poor JoJo.  I thought she did fine as well and Carrie (one of my favorite movies) isn't appropriate viewing for a ten year old.   I thought Kendall was great this week.  Nia impressed me with her poise and dignity-- the adults could learn a thing or two from her.  As to the whole Nia being a star busines--do we really need more auto-tuned pop songs?  Her singing was ok, but not much better than "MackZ" or Brooke's.

I can't believe that my original motivation for watching this show was to see DANCE and DANCE TRAINING. LOL.

Edited by Gianthambeast
  • Love 3

I guess they didn't need anymore drama for this episode -- but they went up against Club Dance this week (Kalani's actual studio!) and I'm surprised they didn't make at least a little bit of a storyline out of it.  

Not surprised that Abby didn't give Maddie a solo this week, despite all the hoopla about Talia last week, this week's competition was probably even harder and Kendall was up against some amazing dancers.  I can see why she seemed so nervous backstage, and why Jill and Abby seemed very happy with how she placed.

She beat Jaycee's solo: http://youtu.be/aOAAtHnwCW0

and she beat Brynn: http://youtu.be/MiAmvHjf8cE

I also thought the girls looked REALLY surprised to win the group category, so I looked into what the competition was...

They beat this: http://youtu.be/u7AZbFbaQow

and this: http://youtu.be/-154vfVXxPs

I guess dance is subjective! Although its not a fair competition really.  I couldn't find the Sheer Talent versions of these solos on youtube, so I posted other ones and by some of the dates you can see the other girls have known their dance for months.  Still though, that shouldn't really matter as far as a judge is concerned. 

I think the if Kendall got second place, there was no worry about Maddie "losing."  It's nice to see a variety of dancers, not just Maddie all the time.  It looks like Maddie's dance from last week and Kendall's dance were not the usual competition slop.  Especially Maddie's looked professionally choreographed.  Clearly not done by Abby or the other one. This will definitely give them an edge over the other girls.  I'm sure the judges appreciate a little variety and are tired of watching repetitive turns over and over and over. 

The thing with Nia was boring and silly.  It was obviously planned and set up by the show.  And why wouldn't Holly understand that if you miss a practice, you lose your place in the competition?  She needs to teach Nia that she needs to make hard choices.  As the saying goes,  you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Everybody on this show is cracking up besides the girls.  Or at least everyone besides Nia.  How that girl is so calm, cool and collected I don't know.  I really don't know what Holly expected.  The second Chloe was gone, it was obvious that Nia was going to be the next punching bag.  And if Nia were to leave, it would become Kendall.  No surprises there.

The only reason I can think of that these moms stay despite Abby being insane is that they have seen Maddie's legitimate success with the Sia thing and are hoping it will rub off on their girls.  Besides the success of Dance Moms and the fame that came from the show on its own, the Sia business is the first real success from the show.  They can pretend all they want that MackZ and these other smaller things are a thing, but they aren't.  So despite the fact that they know Abby is really only super invested in Maddie, I don't think they can bring themselves to walk away completely.

As for Abby being portrayed worse than normal, while it may be part of the storyline, I also wouldn't be surprised if she just has pissed off the entire production at this point.  Rule number one.  Don't mess with the people that control your edit.  If she's that hateful to everyone else around her, assuredly that extends to production.

• Love 1

Sorry guys, having some trouble with my posts... so trying again.

I think the if Kendall got second place, there was no worry about Maddie "losing."  It's nice to see a variety of dancers, not just Maddie all the time.  It looks like Maddie's dance from last week and Kendall's dance were not the usual competition slop.  Especially Maddie's looked professionally choreographed.  Clearly not done by Abby or the other one. This will definitely give them an edge over the other girls.  I'm sure the judges appreciate a little variety and are tired of watching repetitive turns over and over and over. 

Well, if the competition is not totally rigged, then Maddie loosing to Brynn and/or Jaycee would be a real possibility (not to belittle Kendall, I love Kendall, but I think even she was a little surprised at where she placed).  Abby would know this too, because she has a relationship with Club Dance and their teacher Alexa, and she knows how good those dancers are.  There is no repetitive turning in their solos.   It's not competition slop.  Brynn won mini best dancer at the Dance Awards with that solo, and Jaycee has beat Maddie before (I think it was at Nuvo last year).  Anyway... I'm not saying Maddie would lose, she certainly can hold her own, but it would certainly be a possibility.  But who knows, maybe Abby doesn't actually care.  Maybe it was just Kendall's turn since Maddie went last time.  I agree it is nice to see the others dance too. 

I agree Maddie's last solo was really beautiful though.  I was really impressed.  I think she's really improving.  

Everybody on this show is cracking up besides the girls.  Or at least everyone besides Nia.  How that girl is so calm, cool and collected I don't know.

I know! Nia was so awesome this episode.  I feel like she has a real inner strength.  All the other girls also seemed to be really affected by her not being there, and really genuinely happy to have her back.  They were also very quick to defend her against Jojo's "now you know how I felt" comment.  I feel like Nia is very well liked by everyone.  Kendall also often makes little comments that make her seem really level headed, especially when you consider she just turned 12! 

Edited by sofiah

The show seems to have degenerated to a total mess.  I can't imagine it would have lasted had this been one of the first couple of episodes.  That was a complete disaster and either both Abby is on alcohol or drugs or it's completely staged and scripted..  Holly no longer seems real either.

• Love 3

Maddie has three "real" solos this year that I have had the chance to see competed. I'm pretty sure that one of those three will be performed next week at Jump. There's also a competition later this season in which she goes against one of the girls mentioned in this thread (I'm not sure what constitutes a spoiler since it's freely available information) that I had the pleasure to see in person. Really good stuff. 

Well, if the competition is not totally rigged, then Maddie loosing to Brynn and/or Jaycee would be a real possibility (not to belittle Kendall, I love Kendall, but I think even she was a little surprised at where she placed).  Abby would know this too, because she has a relationship with Club Dance and their teacher Alexa, and she knows how good those dancers are.  There is no repetitive turning in their solos.   It's not competition slop.  Brynn won mini best dancer at the Dance Awards with that solo, and Jaycee has beat Maddie before (I think it was at Nuvo last year).  Anyway... I'm not saying Maddie would lose, she certainly can hold her own, but it would certainly be a possibility.  But who knows, maybe Abby doesn't actually care.  Maybe it was just Kendall's turn since Maddie went last time.  I agree it is nice to see the others dance too. 

I think most solos have too many turn sequences. I think if there are more than 2 fouette sections, there is too much turning.  It gets really boring.   And that is a competition thing and a dance team thing.   Of course all of these top girls are super talented dancers.   But there seems to be a lot of "showing off" certain skills or moves, all running together.  No real artistry.  I think that's what sets Maddie apart from the other top girls.  Her artistry at such a young age is remarkable. 

And these girls need to remember that there are many extraordinary young dancers training that do not compete. Maddie should stop competing, it's a waste of time.  Nia should stop too if she wants to be serious about her singing. 

I don't think competing is a waste of time. It's fun and does provide feedback but the whole aspects of winning at all costs is wrong. I also agree that I hate the tricks and turns. That's not dancing

I believe ALDC is going to NYDA this weekend. My daughter will be watching the live feed along with other dance live feeds.

ALDC competed at NYCDA last weekend. Their Seniors won Critics Choice and Sarah won a mini or junior outstanding solo award. This weekend they are going to JUMP and their live broadcasts are always great. I believe all of the girls except Kalani (who will likely do JUMP with her real studio) have solos. 

Dark, where are the live feeds broadcast? I'd love to watch those!

Just goggle name of competition jump dance, Hall of fame or nuvo, and I believe nycda live feeds, I'm sure there's more I just can't think of them right now.

Adrenaline http://m.ustream.tv/channel/testing-show-one

Showbiz http://www.showbiztalent.com/live/

Here's Jump http://m.ustream.tv/channel/jump-dance-convention-webcast

Nuvo

http://m.ustream.tv/channel/nuvo-dance-convention-webcast

HOF http://m.ustream.tv/channel/alameda-ca

HOF also might be doing life feeds in multi cities so click on their website http://www.halloffamedance.com/mobile/

If anyone wants to watch ALDC here's the Jump schedule http://www.jumptour.com/competition_schedule.php?id=327

My daughter is looking forward to watching Nick :)

Edited by Darknight

Abby was an only child, right? Her mom and her dog died, so she must be pretty alone. She only just got out of bankruptcy and she under the control of the producers (I'm guessing that was behind that rant about his she just wants to be creative, etc.). Plus, she has tons of moms asking her when their kid will attain Maddie's success (despite the fact that Maddie didn't audition and was cherry-picked by Sia; Abby didn't reall have anything to do with it), why haven't their kids had the same opportunities, etc. I despise Abby, but I can understand why she's cracking up. Even Melissa only puts up with Abby so that her kids can get ahead. Abby doesn't seem like she has anyone in her life besides people who want a piece of what Maddie has.

While I can understand all that and I do think underneath it all Abby is a very lonely woman, a large part of the reason that Abby doesn't have anybody in her life is because she treats people horribly.  She might not have siblings or maybe even other biological family members, but I tend to think a lot of the reason that she doesn't seem to have any real friends is on her.  You can't treat people horribly and then complain when nobody is in your corner.

• Love 4

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/07/abby-lee-miller-dance-moms-engagement-fake/http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/07/abby-lee-miller-dance-moms-engagement-fake/ Abby was reported to be dating and engaged to this guy but she now says that it was to make her mom feel like she had someone and that she wouldn't be alone.

Abby is not an unattractive woman and she can be kind when she wants to but I think she has a tendency to be very strong and abrasive even in real life. Maybe it's a defense mechanism as she's been hurt in the past or maybe she was like this to take charge of "her students" when she as a teacher was as young as they were to get their respect and attention. She obviously has a lot of connections now but I think most of those have happened because of the show.

Supposedly - she and Cathy from Candy Apples were actually friends before the show and Cathy was the first person cast for the show on Dance Moms wiki. Their relationship now - outside of Dance Moms is questionable. I think Abby let a lot of this go to her head and it's turned off a lot of people who knew her before the show.

As far as the pressure of the other moms wanting to know when their kids will get a break. Maddie has and always will be Abby's favorite and the girl the show promotes. She's always been forefront and center in the group routines and her solos are well choreographed. Had the other girls had the individual attention and choreogaphy Maddie has had and as much emphasis been placed on them - they may have been the ones attracting attention.

It may be because it's gone on so long that it's losing viewers - but we know that the viewers are not really watching for Abby - or her spin off AUDC and Dance Studio Restoration would still be on the air. Viewers loved the girls - and when each girl left the group - they had fewer viewers. Others just got fed up with her treatment of the girls. I think Abby has finally realized what her previous actions have caused her but can't accept that she was he cause of all this.

Dark TY so much for the link! I forgot about the competition Fri but I'm watching it now and just saw the ALDC Dance Mom girls do Dancing in the Rain. Maddie was beautiful but my eyes were really drawn to JoJo - she was great. Mac was alottle behind everyone in a couple of sequences but the girls did wonderful and this is much more enjoyable then watching them on Dance Moms!

Abby's Junior Hip Hop team was not too good. Maddie and Kendall's duo was very pretty but after any of the ALDC groups dance - someone has to come out and pick up stuff off the stage that fell off. Abby has thrown fits about pieces coming off during the dances on the show.  Mini group with Sara was beautiful! Shes' another Maddie to Abby - you can tell by how she was featured.

I only watched the afternoon session of Jump with the Dance Mom girls but was surprised that the other studios got more of the top awards than ALDC did. Not that the other studios didn't do well - but Abby's girls did seem more in sync and fluid than a lot of the other dancers from other studios. Again - maybe real judges are getting sick of having their actual results skewed and in the end it's reflected in their scores for the ALDC. I'd love to know who the other girls was in the ALCD dance with Maddie, Mac, Nia, Kendall, Kalani and Jojo and if she's going to be a new official member in future episodes.

ALDC got plenty of the top awards for solos and groups in mini & junior; a few in teen and almost none in senior.

Which means their mini/ juniors are better than their teens/ seniors. I hate when this happens at studios. One studio near me has an awesome mini company but not so awesome senior company. It should be the other way around.

Kalani seems to be the invisible girl, nothing special, time to go.

Holly and Nia can also vanish, Jojo and Jessalyn can replace them.

I still want Sarah and Tea back on this team.

I like Kendall and Mackenzie, they can stay,  but Maddie is still my favourite.

Serenity now,.....lol.