Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: People In Glass Houses Shouldn't Throw Fish

I thought it was a solid premiere. I was so embarrassed for Mary Jane. That was the point, but damn.

I want to give Niecey a chance, but my patience is running out with her and we're only on the first episode. She's so shiftless.

• Love 3

I was embarrassed for Mary Jane, too.  She just can't catch a break and I hate how desperate she is sometimes.  I feel so bad for her.

And I really dislike most of her family members--everyone except maybe her father and mother.  Niecy, in particular, is a mess.  I hate how her life is so messy and she has two kids she can't afford.  And whenever someone tries to confront her on her decisions and tries to push her to be better, she turns it around to make herself look like the victim.  I wouldn't have the patience for her, either.

• Love 3

Another show that you can add to my theory that every single show and movie must have a vomit scene :) 

Who is the designer of the multicoloured graphic dress Gabrielle was wearing when Mary Jane confronted (Valerie?) in the store?  I know I've seen it before but I forget from who.

Tonight's soundtrack list:

http://www.bet.com/shows/being-mary-jane/photos/2015/01/artists-from-episode-201.html?cid=socialMusicCeleb_20150204_39891277&adbid=923553514331245&adbpl=fb&adbpr=387383781281557

I was glad the show is back but....... do have closure yet??!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I am disappointed that David's girlfriend is pregnant.  That takes the zing out of any hope they will reconnect.  When a kid enters the picture things go downhill as far as sexual tension or future possibilities.  

The fish through the window seemed out of place.  Other than a costly repair, you cannot leave your house unattended until it is fixed. Practical consideration, I know but I do think of these things!   And how does this serve the plot development?  

I love this show so I am hoping things get better fast.  

• Love 3

Oh my, what a strong opener. Mary Jane really brought out her bitchiness this episode. I get you're hurting but good God girl! Save all that venom for the fake doctor friend who I would not have in my house, drinking my wine, eating food, and ke-ke-keing in my kitchen after she told David about the sperm. That was BETRAYAL! She is not trust worthy. The faking being drunk last season and bringing MJ to Davids house to make an even bigger fool of her was the worst!

The only way I like fish is filleted and broiled but seeing that poor fish gasping like that made me really sad! WTF MJ?!

That married couple was an interesting addition, LOVE Salli Richardson but her character's husband was an ASSHOLE! I I get that they were friends of David, but the wife had every right to talk to Mary Jane solo in the living room and he could have went on about his business. 

David plays way too many games.....

Edited by Fairlily26
  • Love 1

Glad this show is back, love Gabi. Whatever MJ, get a backbone, stop chasing unavailable men, and demanding explanations and closure from people who owe you nothing. She is so pathetic, get over David, move on. And don't get me started with Niecy, what a loser. Her Grandma is right, GTFO if you don't like the rules. I have no patience for someone with know means of support who chose to bring not one, but two kids into the mix, and then has the audacity to get smart with the person helping her out, oh hell nah. I would've shown her the door. She has no appreciation, and needs to learn self-sufficiency.

• Love 1

Yes! And it helps the story because it says she feels like a fish out of water, gasping for air or maybe she needed to hurt something like she was hurting. Shoot, breaking up can physically hurt. IMO

hmmmmmmm, interesting.  I like this. It makes sense. 

• Love 1

I agree with the person upthread who said the doctor would never be invited back into my house. Lisa's bullshit argument about whether you'd like to be working class in America or Africa--go fuck yourself. I'd rather not worry about my nephew getting shot by an untrained cop. 

MaryJane is one of the most unlikeable characters ever presented on television. She's a nasty drunk. She's the crazy ex-girlfriend men are always talking about. I love her clothes and her house but there's not a damn thing relatable about her. Sure I went a little crazy after a breakup but I was 23! David broke up with her for going through his phone and lying about it. She lied straight to his face again about Andre when they were attempting to get back together. What is she confused about? If she's being punished it's by her own conscience because she royally screwed up what could have been a great relationship.

Am I supposed to root for this woman? Why?

Edited by ThomasAAnderson
  • Love 5

I love this show.  Mary Jane is exhibiting the desperate behavior of someone in love who made a huge mistake and is hurting.  Sure, she is not acting in a reasonable or aware way. Do we all keep our cool in situations that involve the heart?  Of course not. This is a drama showing different aspects of life that do exist. 

And yes, Neisy has a difficult life resulting from poor choices.  This happens and they are showing us the flip in Mary Jane's life, within the same family.  They are showing the disparity in life choices,  They are telling a story here.  And I am more than willing to enjoy the unfolding of human foibles and ways to be in this world. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

I really want to like this show, but watching it makes me feel like I've walked into the middle of a conversation with no context to what's going on.  And I've seen all aired episodes.  I've never understood the "David is the one who got away and MJ is so devastated and heartbroken" stuff when the show spent several episodes on Andre.  It doesn't help that I don't see much romantic chemistry between Stephen Bishop and Gabrielle Union.

• Love 1

Yes, all of this. And, I love how they are really exploring Neicy's character by asking her why she thinks the way she does. Remember how she talked about having her second baby with the guy with nice hair, and she just told us why she picked LPN over something that THEY thought she should do. Don't get me wrong. I am mad at her for what she has done to her young life, like serious self-sabotage, but her story is so familiar. Hell, we all do things to sabotage ourselves - just different things. 

And, I have been a fool for a man and a dummy after a break-up. For real. So shamed.

• Love 1

I felt last season that this show was up and down, but had the potential to be good once things started to gel.  Watching the season premiere, I felt like things had finally gelled. There wasn't much for me to nitpick, to be honest.  While I think MJ is a nasty drunk, is of questionable character at times, and I don't *like* her much, at the same time she is interesting and layered and makes me want to watch.  Gabrielle Union is doing a much better job this season than last in depicting MJ's layers. I also think the cast of characters (literally) around her are also interesting, even though I question many of their choices (e.g., Niecy).  After last night's episode, I've realized that I don't have to root for someone to like a show.  As long as the characters are interesting and the writing is pretty strong and the story lines compelling, then I'm in.  This show seems to meet that criteria for now.

Last night's high points for me were: 1) MJ's mom giving Niecy the business about her choices and entitled attitude. That scene tied into the one where Salli Richardson's character talked about the documentary she watched with her kids about the mother bird and her babies.  2) MJ revealing that she terminated David's baby, and then saying "that was supposed to be our baby." 3) MJ sneaking out of her own house to go to avoid dealing with more drama. 4) I even liked when Chris called David and made MJ take the phone to end all of the nonsense.

• Love 4

Ugh, I can't stand David.  Why is he with that other woman anyway?  He probably is only with her because she's pregnant, which isn't a good enough reason to stay with someone.  MJ should tell David to fuck off and be done with him.  He's not all that.  

I'm bad though because last season, when I saw that Dvid was with a white woman, I thought, "typical" as a lot more black men marry non black women that the other way around.  MJ should consider dating men who aren't black.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

Ugh, I can't stand David. Why is he with that other woman anyway? He probably is only with her because she's pregnant, which isn't a good enough reason to stay with someone. MJ should tell David to fuck off and be done with him. He's not all that.

I'm bad though because last season, when I saw that Dvid was with a white woman, I thought, "typical" as a lot more black men marry non black women that the other way around. MJ should consider dating men who aren't black.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe the highest rates of inter-racial marriages are between Black women and White men, (as per the most recent data) second to Asian women and White Men. David has his own issues but the race of his current girl friend isn't one of the reasons he's not with MJ IMO.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe the highest rates of inter-racial marriages are between Black women and White men, (as per the most recent data) second to Asian women and White Men. David has his own issues but the race of his current girl friend isn't one of the reasons he's not with MJ IMO.

That may be true, but only recently.

I still can't quite figure out why David isn't with MJ, he clearly cares about her.  I want to shake both of them, life's too short for bullshit.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe the highest rates of inter-racial marriages are between Black women and White men, (as per the most recent data) second to Asian women and White Men.

I actually think the reverse is still true.  The Pew Report published the following in 2012:

Broken down by gender, black men were more than twice as likely as black women to marry someone outside their race - 24 percent to 9 percent. The reverse held true for Asian men - 17 percent intermarried, compared to 36 percent among Asian women.

Of course, that still leaves the other 76%, but I think it was statistics like this that led to the BWE movements that have become prominent on the Web.  It used to be that BW dated BM, while BM dated whomever they pleased.  I think BW are now much more open to dating the full spectrum.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 5

Finally getting to catch up on this season.

Am I wrong but didn't David lay it out for MJ at least once last season about why they broke up? If I'm not wrong, she got an answer but it's not the one she wants so "I need closure." STFU! Girl, please! I mean was giving him back the sperm a bunch of BS? I generally like MJ. The times I don't is because she's vicious for no damn reason. She really didn't need to come for Salli Richardson's character like that. Then has the nerve to show up and "apologize" and then goes to her house after the "apology." She wouldn't have been in my house ever again.

I'm going to presume her and the doctor had it out and made peace so that's why she's at the dinner party. I was surprised she was there as well.

Grandmom laying into Niecy was kinda of awesome. I was taken aback and thought it rude in front of company. I mean she could've handled it better in front of the girl. She didn't deserve that. Here's hoping Niecy really is serious about getting herself together.

Finally getting to catch up on this season.

Am I wrong but didn't David lay it out for MJ at least once last season about why they broke up? If I'm not wrong, she got an answer but it's not the one she wants so "I need closure." STFU! Girl, please! I mean was giving him back the sperm a bunch of BS? I generally like MJ. The times I don't is because she's vicious for no damn reason. She really didn't need to come for Salli Richardson's character like that. Then has the nerve to show up and "apologize" and then goes to her house after the "apology." She wouldn't have been in my house ever again.

I'm going to presume her and the doctor had it out and made peace so that's why she's at the dinner party. I was surprised she was there as well.

Grandmom laying into Niecy was kinda of awesome. I was taken aback and thought it rude in front of company. I mean she could've handled it better in front of the girl. She didn't deserve that. Here's hoping Niecy really is serious about getting herself together.