Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Houston We Have a Problem

This was a really painful episode to watch. As horrible as that sex scene was with Michelle and Brett, I'm glad it resulted in them agreeing to go to counseling. I think that they love each other but are having problems communicating and part of that stems from not being honest because they don't want to hurt each other's feelings. Having a therapist walk them through some of their issues in a neutral way should help (I hope).

And Alex was so right - that was the biggest cock block in the history of cock blocks! He was also correct about the fact that their friendship consists mostly of Tina telling him what to do. She is such a hypocrite for thinking that she can do whatever she wants with whomever she wants but that Alex has to be devoted entirely to her, especially since you know that in reality, she would never deign to date someone like him. He's good enough to be her support system but not good enough to be her boyfriend.

Obnoxious drunk Tina reminded me exactly what I have disliked Amanda Peet in her previous roles.

• Love 4

especially since you know that in reality, she would never deign to date someone like him. He's good enough to be her support system but not good enough to be her boyfriend.

I feel like she would date even a slightly more successful Alex, but one who's long-term unemployed and broke -- sorry, "an actor" -- is a bit of a tough sell.  But still, for me, she didn't just seem like she was just cock-blocking Alex for not being the center of attention but because she was legit jealous.  Which, of course, she doesn't have a fair claim to be, but <shrug>.

Side note: as a struggling actor, shouldn't Alex have a side gig?  (or more accurately, a main day job)  Is he just trying to make it work entirely with acting jobs?

Alex and Pam's dancing was very charming.  It was a weird kind of uncomfortable power play between Alex and Tina, but when Pam begged off on the dip move and they just dosie-doe'd and decided to have fun, that was very nice.

I think that they love each other but are having problems communicating and part of that stems from not being honest because they don't want to hurt each other's feelings.

Yeah, but it's frustrating.  Probably very real, but it's not like Michelle doesn't know what she wants. She's told Tina all about it, so she can articulate it. She just can't say it to Brett yet.

• Love 3

I agree that Tina was totally jealous, which I find annoying because if she isn't willing to date Alex then she shouldn't be cock blocking him. She wants to have her cake and eat it too.

I loved when Alex and Pam gave up on the dance contest and just started their silly do-si-do. That said a lot to me about Alex and Pam. Having fun was more important than outdoing Tina.

• Love 1

This was a really painful episode to watch. As horrible as that sex scene was with Michelle and Brett, I'm glad it resulted in them agreeing to go to counseling.

That was painful but also hilarious. Until Brett broke off and shared his real feelings. You just know someone really had that conversation in real life.  I feel for both of them. Alex and Tina are fascinating but I agree she was out of line. She seems to be playing a game with Alex and I agree she wants him as her main support but doesn't want him as her boyfriend. I feel for her though because I do feel like she may not know what to do. She is used to acting a certain way and can't quite break out of it even though she clearly has feelings for Alex. That hug was sort of touching and sort of a desperate plea to Alex. But I didn't like her messing with his head with the offer of a hand job.

This is one of my favorite shows of the season.

Another great funny/sad episode, and using the soundtrack to Urban Cowboy can only endear it more to me. If Alex/Tina were Lookin' for Love, Michelle/Brett were Love the World Away.

I feel for her though because I do feel like she may not know what to do. She is used to acting a certain way and can't quite break out of it even though she clearly has feelings for Alex. That hug was sort of touching and sort of a desperate plea to Alex.

Definitely last night felt like a slightly more dysfunctional Harry and Sally, I'd wager Tina doesn't have any men she's friends with, while she definitely has feeling for Alex, she just doesn't want to lose this friendship. She did apologize for the cockblock, and I actually thought it was super funny when she offered the 'handie' and more importantly his response, because I think they really do get each other, it's pretty awesome to watch even when they act like Crazy People. 

Michelle and Brett were painful, and I am getting a bit aggravated with Michelle, she had multiple opportunities to tell Brett: yes I DO want something different, yes I do want to flip over, NO I do NOT want the damn pillow, I want X and Y give it to me baby. She was completely fucking with him while he was trying to fuck her and I did not blame him at all for losing it. I get that maybe the problem goes deeper than just the mechanics of the sex, but at least TRY communicating honestly about that aspect and see what happens. She's making this a much bigger deal than it is, just spit out sweetie.

Yeah, but it's frustrating.  Probably very real, but it's not like Michelle doesn't know what she wants. She's told Tina all about it, so she can articulate it. She just can't say it to Brett yet.

I kind of get why she can't say it to Brett.  He's kind of dismissive and argumentative with her.  She's not very confident - he must know that about her after 10 years.  And it's obvious that she wasn't into the sex too much.  But instead of him being like "Tell me what you want" or TRYING to make it enjoyable for her, he was doing the same old/same old and essentially telling her to shut up and let him concentrate when she was trying to tell him (in her own annoying way) that she wanted something different.  

Counseling should be interesting. I think it's far more likely she's going to cheat  - or almost cheat - with that city council guy.  

• Love 1

I love this show. All the characters are interesting and, I think, sympathetic. 

Tina is treating Alex like her gay friend. She can do whatever she wants around him because she feels safe sexually with him. I guess even though she's not attracted to him physically, she doesn't want to lose him to another woman. Anyway, I liked this storyline. I really liked seeing how all of Tina's friends liked him, particularly of course Pam. That was so sweet. I love the way Alex handled the aggressive, taunting way Tina was dancing.

As for Brett and Michelle, that was great. It felt so real to me, and I could see both sides. I hope they do go to counseling. I want to see what comes up.

• Love 2

But instead of him being like "Tell me what you want"

Eh he pretty much said those exact words before they got going: is there something you want to try/do? And when she mentioned flipping over, (Is that what you want to do?  NO NO) she denied she wanted or expected to do ANYTHING differently yet then continued to critique his technique. It was bullshit. As soon as he mentioned the pillow all she had to say is let's get crazy: forget the damn pillow!

• Love 1

Alex was kind of a jerk on the plane, communicating that he was jealous about Tina's hookup with the producer in the poutiest way possible. In more ordinary circumstances I would think that Tina would pick up on that and be thrilled to see him trying to hook up with someone else. Her jealousy and cock blocking says that she has some sort of attraction to him that mystifies me.

Staying stopped at a green light at bar closing time is a pretty dumb and dangerous thing to do. Speaking of which, everyone seemed cool with Alex driving home drunk, until she played that card on Alex. She did seem genuinely impaired, so that wasn't cool.

Brett and Michelle seem like exactly the type of couple for whom couple's therapy would work, if they would just freaking go already.

Eh he pretty much said those exact words before they got going: is there something you want to try/do? And when she mentioned flipping over, (Is that what you want to do?  NO NO) she denied she wanted or expected to do ANYTHING differently yet then continued to critique his technique. It was bullshit. As soon as he mentioned the pillow all she had to say is let's get crazy: forget the damn pillow!

I think she still didn't want to have sex in any form, and she was trying to take Tina's advice and do it for Brett. Then all the things about Brett's "routine" that bother her so much hit harder than she expected, and on top of that, he was having trouble staying aroused even though it was for him (in her mind -- Brett wasn't being consciously selfish).

Michelle should have trusted her instincts that she did not want sex with Brett as things stand, and Brett should have picked up on her obvious relief when he took it off the table the first time, and let her off the hook again, later. That would probably have been a better starting point for their conversation than after the failed attempt and shouting match. But my impression is that what happened is still OK. At least they finally talked about it, a little, as a start.

• Love 2
Her jealousy and cock blocking says that she has some sort of attraction to him that mystifies me.

I think it's a combination of things - she sees his potential (some women like projects/men they can fix), he was kind to her (rescuing her when she ran into her ex in front of the restaurant in the pilot), he is fun (TPing said ex's house), he has been supportive of her career (going to that meeting with the bounce house client instead of asking her why the hell she has a bounce house business in the first place), up until this point he has obeyed her (exercising, going to talk to Sandy Cohen), and he hasn't expressed overt sexual interest in her which makes her feel safe (women get hit on all the time so finding who doesn't spend all his time actively trying to convince you to sleep with him is refreshing).

• Love 2

Im liking this show more with each episode. The dynamics between Michelle and Brett are being so well portrayed. That whole sex scene was agony, and while I can kind of see where each one was coming from, I can also understand why they couldn't understand what was going on with the other one.

I think a lot you are spot on about Michelle's motivation and hangups. I'm interested in Brett's point of view too. He just got injured in the last episode from trying some new foreplay, and he may have been feeling "Damn, my wife wants something totally different and I screwed it up", even though it wasn't really anyone's fault. Tack on to that the worry that maybe his wife hasn't been happy with their sex life for their whole relationship, her overall reluctance to have sex at all, and then her telling him that he wasn't hard enough- well, it just seems like e a recipe for him to explode.

Not saying he was right and she was wrong, because I think they're both right and both wrong. Each so caught up in their own stuff that they're totally unable to see the other person's point of view, or the situation as a whole. I imagine these kinds of problems happen in marriages, and it's compelling to watch. But I sure do hope counseling can help, because it's also hard to watch.

• Love 1

I think she still didn't want to have sex in any form, and she was trying to take Tina's advice and do it for Brett. Then all the things about Brett's "routine" that bother her so much hit harder than she expected, and on top of that, he was having trouble staying aroused even though it was for him (in her mind -- Brett wasn't being consciously selfish).

Michelle should have trusted her instincts that she did not want sex with Brett as things stand, and Brett should have picked up on her obvious relief when he took it off the table the first time, and let her off the hook again, later. That would probably have been a better starting point for their conversation than after the failed attempt and shouting match. But my impression is that what happened is still OK. At least they finally talked about it, a little, as a start.

She was the one making the suggestion after the movie (most likely out of pity).  Had Brett refused, wouldn't that be seen as rejecting his wife's affection ?

After 10 years of marriage, the lack of communication was very sad

There was really no way to know how Michelle and Brett got to that place so I don't feel like there can be blame on either. Michelle might have been going off previous behavior from her hubbie and vice versa. That is why I think it is so sad - the audience is coming in on a completely messed up situation where years of little things have culminated in this disastrous way of communicating needs and not getting feelings hurt.  Really well done.

She was the one making the suggestion after the movie (most likely out of pity).  Had Brett refused, wouldn't that be seen as rejecting his wife's affection ?

After 10 years of marriage, the lack of communication was very sad

It would depend on how he did it. The best approach, I think, would have been to say, yes, we should, but we need to talk first. Turning her down flat with no explanation, or an accusatory "You don't really want to, do you?" would have been terrible, of course.

And, I don't want to be too hard on Brett, he took Michelle at her word, and thought that his admirable patience earlier was paying off.

Part of their problem is that they are both trying to say the "right things" without really saying what they want to say. Their best moment of honest communication was the nonverbal shared smile of embarrassed amusement after the dominatrix thing fell apart. 

Edited by Latverian Diplomat

Why do they make it so complicated?  Why not power through it, get it over with, like all the other married couples with unsatisfactory sex lives? </Maher>

Edited by scrb

I'm nervous writing this, because that scene with Brett and Michelle was pretty much my life. His line about looking down at his wife's face and seeing that she is dreading having sex -- I've been there, and Michelle's conversation with Tina was pretty awesome, too, when you've been married so long that you don't have sex very much, and then when you try after a while ...  It's amazingly hard to be with the same person for a decade, and when life catches up (and overwhelms you) making love gets sacrificed pretty fast. 

And then Brett's speech about trying to hold everything together -- a night where he tried everything to make it right, and she still didn't want him and he's trying to find a way to ... man, I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, that was beautifully acted, amazingly accurate and just damn painful to watch. Then he tried to bring it back, to apologize for being honest but he couldn't, when she asked him if he meant it and he gave the only answer you can give "Kinda." I would have never thought Pete from The league could have pulled off that scene, but he did. 

And the last scene, when you know things are screwed up but you still love them and you don't want to get divorced so you just agree to hang on .. that's pretty true, too. 

And I thought Tina owed him a handy. But that's just me  :)

Edited by whiporee
  • Love 7

It would depend on how he did it. The best approach, I think, would have been to say, yes, we should, but we need to talk first. Turning her down flat with no explanation, or an accusatory "You don't really want to, do you?" would have been terrible, of course.

I can tell you that there is nothing worse than feeling rejected by your spouse. That's a stab in the gut that is hard to get over, and both of these characters have been on both sides of it. In a marriage of that length there is so much you don't talk about because you know how it will go -- he knows how the conversation will turn out. So does she. So instead of fighting you ... try something else. 

• Love 1

The bedroom scenes have been so brutally honest, even if the dominatrix stuff was played for laughs.

I'm wondering if them going to therapy will bring out some of what happened for them to get this way--frankly, the way Michelle feels seems like something brought on by resentment, which can kill your sex life! Some of the same themes are brought up in the film The One I Love, which stars Mark Duplass, and I think it's such a wonderful, understated movie, for anyone who's interested (it's streaming on Netflix)

• Love 1

I have been married for nine years and have two small children. This show really makes me appreciate my sex life.

However, you can see that the married couple's problem is that they are no longer friends and therefore can not be lovers. They are two ships passing in the night and have forgotten the joy they originally found in each others company. This is such a common problem and I am glad that it is being addressed within a television couple. Michelle was so dreading the sex that I doubt she even enjoyed the night of freedom from the children.

She also understands that overall Brett is good family man and this makes her feel very guilty about her feelings.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 2