Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E08: Auditions #8

• Start Topic

What did I miss with that blonde kid who played piano and guitar? His voice was unlistenable to me, I thought he was awful but the judges all loved him.

I noticed something with him and a bunch of other young contestants - the judges haven't been saying "you're not quite ready...come back next year" to anyone!. This kid you mentioned was 15 (he looked 12), and his voice was cracking, and they still sent him to the next round!

This must be the last season, and the judges must know it, and are likely taking it into consideration. That's my guess, at least.

• Love 4

Perhaps oddly, what I think about when they send truly questionable people through is, I hope it's not a financial hardship to get themselves out to Hollywood if it's likely they'll be turning right back around. Sure, there are people who surprisingly come alive during Hollywood week, we can't know who'll shine and who'll implode so I guess that's the thinking in letting so many through. It's a hella memorable experience for them all, no matter if they get released soon. But yeah, some really shouldn't be making the trek and may have their adorableness if not their singing voice to thank for being gifted a golden ticket.

• Love 1

I noticed something with him and a bunch of other young contestants - the judges haven't been saying "you're not quite ready...come back next year" to anyone!. This kid you mentioned was 15 (he looked 12), and his voice was cracking, and they still sent him to the next round!

This must be the last season, and the judges must know it, and are likely taking it into consideration. That's my guess, at least.

I keep thinking it's just because younger kids are what most of the audience wants ("who cares if they're the best singer, awwww, they're so cute!"). And the producers can control them more easily throughout the show and afterwards. The older contestants seem to be kept around as a nod to tradition, but I'll bet next year or the year after, they'll drop both the age floor and ceiling.

I keep thinking it's just because younger kids are what most of the audience wants ("who cares if they're the best singer, awwww, they're so cute!"). And the producers can control them more easily throughout the show and afterwards. The older contestants seem to be kept around as a nod to tradition, but I'll bet next year or the year after, they'll drop both the age floor and ceiling.

But my whole point was that there won't be a next year. Sure, they like young contestants, but in the past, if they were on the fence re: the really young auditioners, or if they felt their voices or maturity weren't there yet, they'd say no, and soften the blow by encouraging them to come back next year. They haven't done that at all this year.

This is a very expensive show to produce, and the ratings have declined rapidly over the last few years. I think this is finally it.

Edited by LotusFlower
  • Love 1

That girl during the Hollywood or Home/You Be the Judge commercial break segment sounded pretty good and 76% of audience voters thought she was going to Hollywood, so it was weird that she was given the boot and no reason given other than a "no."

Can't wait for Hollywood Week!!

No one has said anything about this being the last season. If it was, they would have made a huge deal about it. And they are still pulling in an average of 10 million per episode, those aren't low enough numbers to warrant canceling the show. I think it's got at least 1 more season in it.

The judges are saying yes because young and cute wins and they probably think watching these kids try to sink or swim in Hollywood will be good entertainment. Like having to watch a group deal with that girl who sang Want U Back, or a group getting pissed because Daniel's voice keeps cracking, etc. They probably think watching super experienced older contestants would be too much like The Voice and they want to differentiate themselves by making one of the green kids a "star."

• Love 2

Can anyone tell me who the woman pre-judge is?  She looks familiar but I can't place her.  The same goes for one of the guys who they showed sitting beside another guy.  Are these former contestants?

I like that we don't have to see all the "special snowflakes" but seriously, how is it possible for a parent to build up their child and expose them to something like this knowing they aren't up to snuff?  That's just cruel.  I will never believe that some of the parents who encourage their children really believe their children have talent - or should I say enough talent to actually make a career out of music.

And if some of these people going forward have already passed an audition process so to speak and are still horrible then this is for added drama nothing else.  I didn't watch the auditions for years because I hated to see all the horrible singers get made fun of.  I like watching Harry and Keith have fun so decided to watch this year but didn't enjoy the last couple of auditions so glad they are over!  

My dh wanted to know why the guy who was beating up his guitar was put through by the first set of judges ?   I think it's because he wasn't as bad at the pre-audition as he was in front of the SHOW judges.

The judges are saying yes because young and cute wins and they probably think watching these kids try to sink or swim in Hollywood will be good entertainment. Like having to watch a group deal with that girl who sang Want U Back, or a group getting pissed because Daniel's voice keeps cracking, etc. They probably think watching super experienced older contestants would be too much like The Voice and they want to differentiate themselves by making one of the green kids a "star."

I'm not so sure all the young contestants is a conscious choice by the producers as much as a result of the fact that older more experienced contestants are purposefully picking The Voice and what is left are the inexperienced teens of the type that auditioned for X-Factor US back when that show was still around.

Having said that, I do think several of the girls in this episode showed that they can sing (Hunter, Tara and Adanna in particular).  While they all could have used a bit more seasoning, hopefully at least a few of these teens will step it up as the season progresses.

No one has said anything about this being the last season. If it was, they would have made a huge deal about it. And they are still pulling in an average of 10 million per episode, those aren't low enough numbers to warrant canceling the show. I think it's got at least 1 more season in it.

Concerns about the show's plummeting ratings have been going on for years. Yes, the ratings are still pretty good compared to other network shows, but not only are the numbers way down compared to past seasons, but it's a really expensive show to produce. I read speculation that they might cancel the show last season, but they had just spent gazillions building a new set, and needed at least another season to make the investment worthwhile. Then there's all the money they spend on the auditions across the country, as well as the huge salaries they pay J. Lo, Seacrest, etc... The advertising dollars are way down to support the expenses.

I can't say I agree about the appeal of young and cute contestants, either, as past winners and the top 10 have not had many, if any 15 or 16 year-olds. I agree they want a good mix in the top 20 or top 10, age, gender, race, singing styles, etc... but the not-ready-for-prime-time are usually weeded out pretty quickly. Total speculation on my part about it being the last season, but I just think it's pretty interesting that when the judges were on the fence over a young and immature singer in the past, they told them to come back next year a lot. This season they never said it once! I think my theory will be tested during the Hollywood rounds - making the top 10 cuts are always the hardest for the judges and contestants, and they use the "try again next year" encouragement a lot when delivering a blow to someone they really like.

That's interesting that nobody has been told "come back next year", but there's always the alternate explanation that the producers just told the judges to stop saying that (rather than that the show is in its last season).

The Idol powers MUST be noticing what's happening with "The Voice" and are probably trying to reposition the show so it's more about the teen girl who sings into her hairbrush in the mirror, rather than the more serious 20-something musicians who have been gigging for years. There's plenty of people who tune in for the former, and it's probably a safer route to prolonging the show's existence as opposed to trying and failing to focus on the latter, which "The Voice" does better.

Though it would be funny if the producers tried to save the show by cutting costs. No blinged-out limo for you, Keith, J-Lo, and Harry. You're taking the bus to the auditions! And Ryan Seacrest gets replaced as host by Guillermo from the Jimmy Kimmel show.

Edited by Prairie Fire

That's interesting that nobody has been told "come back next year", but there's always the alternate explanation that the producers just told the judges to stop saying that (rather than that the show is in its last season).

Why would they do that? 

The Idol powers MUST be noticing what's happening with "The Voice" and are probably trying to reposition the show so it's more about the teen girl who sings into her hairbrush in the mirror, rather than the more serious 20-something musicians who have been gigging for years. There's plenty of people who tune in for the former, and it's probably a safer route to prolonging the show's existence as opposed to trying and failing to focus on the latter, which "The Voice" does better.

I think it's too late for them to try to change the show that much.  If their intention was what you suggest, I think they'd make a change in a major way, as in announcing a different age criteria, as opposed to the subtle ticket-to-the-next-round approach.  I truly think this is it.  I think they want to go out strong, but they're also kind of coasting.

15 year old should come back in three years when he doesn't look like he's 12 and his voice has settled down.  He has talent and he isn't shy.

And when he doesn't think the best way to woe a girl into giving up the digits is sticking your tongue out behind her in a selfie! Lol!

Why did Harry think it was okay to send 15 year old girl to H'wood but not 15 year boy?

Are you talking about the little pixie near the end of auditions or the very last one whose family was homeless and had to sleep in a church? Maybe Harry thought the last young lady was mature enough to handle Hollywood. But, she was a little sharp (according to Keith). 

The pixie -- as cute as she is -- IMO could not sing. She didn't finish her notes and had no real charisma (other than her cuteness). At least the homeless church girl seemed charming. 

I believe the woman pre-judge was Carly Smithson (2008 or 2009?).  I didn't recognize the guy.

It was Michael Orland, one of the music coaches and the guy who's been playing piano during some of the auditions.

I believe the woman pre-judge was Carly Smithson (2008 or 2009?).  I didn't recognize the guy.

Thank you.  That's her.

It was Michael Orland, one of the music coaches and the guy who's been playing piano during some of the auditions.

Sorry I should have asked that differently.  I was referring to one of the two guys sitting side by side doing the same job that Carly is doing.  He was part of the pre-audition process.  He was younger than Michael.