Type keyword(s) to search

Fat and Back (TLC)

I ended up having to turn it off because she was such a pill.  I do admit to liking the part where the rugby players were honest with her.  I think she was really shocked about their opinions of her body.

I thought her experiment made little sense. Obviously, diet and exercise will make people lose weight. She mentioned emotional eating but no health problems that can cause some people to very, very easily gain weight. But, what lost me is, of course a person who has no emotional ties to eating too much or associated health problems could gain a lot then have little to mild trouble losing it. So, how is she proving anything?

It would be like a non-alcoholic binge drinking once and then stopping "cold turkey." Sure you can because you're NOT an alcoholic.

If you're suddenly having to force yourself to eat so much that you're constantly sick and distraught and "hating fat people for making you do it"...news flash, you're trying to make yourself have an issue that you just...don't.

It's patronizing and doesn't prove anything except that you aren't logical or compassionate.

I've always been underweight sometimes due eating problems sometimes not. Once I went on antidepressants, I..in 3 weeks..gained 20 pounds and got up to a healthy weight. I didn't change my diet but was exercising a little more. Two weeks after this, I quit the medicine and did mild exercise 3 times a week. I lost the twenty pounds over a 3 month period and have kept it off just returning to what I usually do. It seemed to me to take longer to reverse the effects the meds had on my metabolism than for the meds to slow it down.

Anyway, I don't go around saying I understand what it's like to be overweight. I don't. But, I have very mildly experienced feeling little control over my weight rising where I've not changed what I've been doing (food and exercise-wise).

It sucked.

I like watching other people's points of views, but I don't agree with this one. I felt it was more about highlighting that she was thin, it was SO gross and hard to put on weight. Yes, it has hard for some people to put on weight. And, she's forcing herself to be sick just to show overweight people how easy it is to lose and be thin. Umm hello. It is for her, not for every single other person out there!

• Love 5

I have to admit she was not a likable person. Now, I am not sure if it was because she was very British and didn’t sugar coat her feelings towards overweight/obese people or just her general overall attitude. I will tune in to the 2nd half though.
I’m guessing that she just wants to prove that with determination, you can lose weight through diet and exercise to disprove the one girl she met who said no you can’t. Which really isn’t much of a revelation because doctors have been saying for years you need a healthy balance of both diet and exercise to successfully lose weight and keep it off.  She just wants to do it herself to prove that it can be done. The fact that she is gaining weight I found horrible due to her comments (fat people are making me do this), her body obviously is fighting back by not adding the weight fast enough as she liked it to be packed on and her lack of empathy to obese people overall.   She doesn’t understand that gaining weight so quickly is rare and that people who are obese have more than likely been gaining weight over a long period of time.
I cannot wait to see her struggle to lose it (because it’s always harder to gain than to lose), her struggle with clothes while she is overweight and general moving around.  It’s different being overweight or obese than being a thin person. Trust me I know. I have been both.
I am hoping that they have someone else with her losing the weight (i.e. the woman that wanted to lose 4 stones) just to compare Katie’s weight loss to their own.  People who struggle with obesity have other issues such as food addiction.  It can be as bad as being addicted to tobacco or alcohol.  She didn’t touch on that.
On a shallow note, she looked more like a pregnant belly than actual weight gain overall in her body.  I didn’t find her thin shape any more flattering than her fat shape.

• Love 2

I created an account just to post about how awful this show is! She is not simulating an actual fat simulation. Most people don't get fat in 12 weeks time from determinedly eating all day! I also suspect she will lose the weight through personal trainers, something that most people don't have access to!

I spoke to my English friend and he said that Katie Hopkins is pretty widely hated by all...

• Love 2

Since her own little addictions are running and restricting food, she shouldn't need a trainer, but maybe she will use the one who was helping her gain at the end.  I hope not.  

I don't put much stock in anything she "proves" for the reasons you guys listed.  She doesn't have an inactive, overeating lifestyle to address, which is the hard part of weight loss.  I hope we see her struggle and gain some compassion.  If nothing else, she has to have learned how people look at you differently when you're overweight, and judge you.  Though she really does just look pregnant.  And slightly more unattractive.  

The scene of the men telling her she didn't look good was pretty enjoyable, given her intolerable personality at the start.

I take little stock in someone who fat-shames, yet clearly has food issues of her own. When the Rugby players gave her some truths and the doctor said that she was actually UNDERweight, it was the only time I enjoyed the show. Boo-freaking-hoo. You inhaled food for two weeks and didn't gain anything. I feel so fucking sorry for you. Not.

• Love 3

I ended up having to turn it off because she was such a pill.  I do admit to liking the part where the rugby players were honest with her.  I think she was really shocked about their opinions of her body.

I think she assumed they would find her attractive. With a horrible body like hers I wouldn't be talking about anyone else. She looked about 90 yrs old without clothes.

Her stomach when thin was very odd, were those her ribs or some kind of weird 6 pack? Then when she gained weight like greekmom said it looked like a firm pregnant belly, most people who gain weight their stomach is more floppy (and yes I know this all too well).

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 2

I despise this woman with a passion. This entire 'project' was created because she is so insecure about herself that she needs to constantly be told how thin she is. Nothing about it is the least bit scientific. Yes, everyone who eats 6,000 calories a day will gain weight, and everyone will lose some weight when they stop eating like this. This says nothing about long term weight gain or loss, emotional eating, menopause or a zillion other reasons why a person might be overweight.

What do rugby players have to do with anything? They were there only to tell her how skinny she looked, as was the doctor.

She wants to show a typical American who is overweight so she visits a 600 pound woman and participates in a competitive eating challenge. She can kiss my ass. 

• Love 2

I despise this woman with a passion. This entire 'project' was created because she is so insecure about herself that she needs to constantly be told how thin she is. Nothing about it is the least bit scientific. Yes, everyone who eats 6,000 calories a day will gain weight, and everyone will lose some weight when they stop eating like this. This says nothing about long term weight gain or loss, emotional eating, menopause or a zillion other reasons why a person might be overweight.

What do rugby players have to do with anything? They were there only to tell her how skinny she looked, as was the doctor.

She wants to show a typical American who is overweight so she visits a 600 pound woman and participates in a competitive eating challenge. She can kiss my ass. 

She does remind me of an anorexic's mind-set; always fishing for complements I fkng HATE people that wont eat.

I kind of agree with her that the young kids need to stop stuffing their faces. Its one thing when you get older and slow down and you gain weight, but childhood obesity is out of hand.

I DVR'd this and was interested in it as a "sociology lite" show, which I love. Of course, her experiment is all kinds of wrong. She looked more pregnant than overweight, and I understand that's the easiest kind of weight to get rid of, belly weight, she didn't seem overweight in any other areas! And of course, she will just start running again and use the trainer to help her eat small, healthy meals, because she already knows how to employ that method. There are so many varied factors as to why it's difficult to lose weight, busy schedules, food addiction, stress eating, depression, economic factors, the list goes on and on. Obviously she doesn't seem to have any of those issues. Let her deal with any number of hindrances, and we have a show.

Edited by cpcathy

I thought that she's as addicted as anyone else - just to running instead of food. I didn't think she had an attractive body at all (although I realize anyone who is onscreen has to keep their weight down and I see a lot of "hot bikini bodies" in mags like The Star that seem much too skinny). I did agree with her that eating competitions are gross.

Oh, this bitch is a nutter. She believes that you SHOULD fat shame and SHOULD tell your kids that they're fat. My mother subscribed to that theory. She called me names growing up. She fat shamed me, even when I weighed five pounds more than her and swam competitively. She bought me diet pills. What did it do to me? I lived through my college years and 20's sticking my finger down my throat. I snuck food. God, this woman is fucking clueless and cruel. The psychologist tried telling her that her experiment was not valid for those who have gradually gained weight for most of their lives and she completely dismissed her. She completely dismisses heredity and health issues factoring in. I'm sorry, TLC, but WHY are you showing this shit? 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 6

I think her project is rubbish.  She really has learned NOTHING about being overweight. She still looks down at people who struggle with obesity and weight issues and thinks she is better than them in general.
If the lady in green shirt who called the cops goes to the gym 3xs a week and seriously works out then I am shocked. I don’t think she has seen a gym in a long time.
The only person that made sense was the woman who had the gastric bypass. Don’t judge people until you hear their story.
I loved the psychologist telling Katie like it is. It’s just Katie is so set on Katie being right that she doesn’t even want to hear anyone else’s opinion. No matter how correct it is.  I cannot believe how stupid Katie is that she doesn’t think people can be addicted to food.
Is there an overall problem with obesity in certain countries. Yes. We are moving less, eating more or eating highly processed foods that are loaded with fat, sodium and sugar.  What did Katie teach us by her social experiment? Nothing.  What did Katie *learn* from her social experience. Again, absolute nothing.   No respect, no understanding, no sympathy for people who are overweight or obese and the struggle in their daily lives. 
In my honest opinion. Katie all in all is an idiot.  I’m hoping she doesn’t get into her skinny jeans and the last 5 pounds (which are the hardest to lose) stick on.

• Love 2

It really is just like saying...I'm going to show everyone else that I can go through a similar situation as you for a month but come out relatively unscathed.

So?

People don't have the same emotions, options, addictions, problems, or thoughts...let alone body chemistry and history.

She isn't as smart as she thinks she is. But, she knows she's as rude as she thinks she is. She just doesn't care. That gets my GOAT.

• Love 2

I keep coming back to this.

Her hypothesis was she could gain weight in 3 months and then turn around and lose it in 3 months. However, she didn't lose all the weight in those three months. Therefore, she just disproved her hypothesis.

I realize when she started this experiment she was underweight but I have to wonder if not losing down to that weight was just her way of dealing with the fact that she couldn't lose all the weight in 3 months and she just didn't want to admit it.

The other thing was that she never took into consideration that a person doesn't gain all the weight in a short period of time. It is generally something that happens over time.

I missed parts. Was she married? Have kids? What kind of job does she have? There are so many things that go into gaining and losing weight.

I agree with the above poster. What a nutter.

She is married and I think she has kids... but not sure? Maybe not...

I found this interesting but the moment she could NOT even gain weight her entire project was pointless. Only people with major major issues are eating 6000+ calories a day.  If you have to work THAT hard to gain weight then you are not in the norm. 

I don't like to nit pick at people's appearances but she did have a very bizarre body shape, I was surprised she was that "thin" because her face gives the appearance that she's much heavier. 

I'm glad she decided to keep some weight on but I don't doubt that after filming she continued to lose more weight going on with her normal daily activities. 

• Love 1
If the lady in green shirt who called the cops goes to the gym 3xs a week and seriously works out then I am shocked. I don’t think she has seen a gym in a long time.

You might think this if you see me too, but you would be wrong. It has taken me an entire year of working out 5 days a week to lose 60 pounds and I have more weight to go. You can't make assumptions about people; you don't know their story.

Nothing about this special was useful to anyone trying to lose weight. The vast majority of overweight people do not eat 6,000 calories a day, have not gained all of their weight in 6 weeks, and cannot lose it in 6 weeks. She is also not saying anything useful about childhood obesity. Shaming your child and calling them names will only lead to an eating disorder. Calling adults names for their weight will never help them either.

She is an awful person and I personally am concerned about her children because she may be restricting their calories to make sure they are under weight and under fed, which can cause problems with brain development. Her husband appears to be of the same mindset.

• Love 1

Madding Crowd I would agree with you if she elaborated but she didn't. She didn't say,"I go to the gym 3xs a week, I've lost so far x amount of weight."  She just took the defensive and didn't handle herself very well.  The one who had the gastric bypass, I felt told Katie off pretty well and handled herself much better with Katie's stuck up attitude. 

But people who are overweight don't have to justify themselves or be specific about their weight loss plans to strangers. I don't feel anyone has the right to say disparaging things about another persons life ( except on tv forums of course).

• Love 2

Madding Crowd I would agree with you if she elaborated but she didn't. She didn't say,"I go to the gym 3xs a week, I've lost so far x amount of weight."  She just took the defensive and didn't handle herself very well.  The one who had the gastric bypass, I felt told Katie off pretty well and handled herself much better with Katie's stuck up attitude. 

Didn't she say she was a trainer?? 

This woman's attitude is vile and I feel sorry for her kids.  They will almost definitely have issues with food being raised by her.  

The meeting with the overweight people seemed exaggerated, I don't think that woman truly called the police.  I do believe she goes to the gym though.  I wouldn't even be speaking to Katie if she came in and immediately started insulting me.

• Love 1

But people who are overweight don't have to justify themselves or be specific about their weight loss plans to strangers. I don't feel anyone has the right to say disparaging things about another persons life ( except on tv forums of course).

My sister had a gastric bypass operation a few years ago, and lost a bunch of weight. It was a health issue, and now she's much better. Who the hell does this woman think she is, and why the hell would anyone give her a bully pulpit for this?

• Love 2
(edited)

I missed parts. Was she married? Have kids? What kind of job does she have?

Katie Hopkins has been married twice. She has three kids. She was on The Apprentice in 2007. Her job is journalist slash publicity whore.

And now she's fat shaming Kelly Clarkson. Guess she didn't learn anything after all.

I love Kelly Clarkson's response: "She's tweeted something nasty about me? That's because she doesn't know me. I'm awesome!"

She needs to have those moles she has all over her body checked out.

^This.

Edited by editorgrrl