Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E17: Rescue Me

Enzo and Caroline go on a trip and find another doppleganger; Elena and Damon learn about Jeremy's bad behavior at school; Bonnie has an encounter with Luke that leaves her unsettled.

I fell asleep several times watching this ep last night so I only caught a few things, the most memorable being Stefan and Caroline napping on a floor, Tom the doppelganger's fantastic hair and what a poster on TWoP described as Bonnie having the world's worst cramps.

So I assume it was Markus (spelling??) that passed back on over to our side through her? I hope he's cute. /shallow

No one talking about tonight's episode?  C'mon, it wasn't that bad!

It kind of was that bad.

Poor Tom.  The worst thing that can happen to someone on this show is for one of the MF gang to decide to help them.  That's a guaranteed death sentence.

I like the trio of Jeremy, Matt, and Tyler which is an improvement because I was wanting Matt to die.

No one talking about tonight's episode?  C'mon, it wasn'that bad!

Apparently, not many people watched!

On one hand, I'm sick of Elena and Damon (who I've never really liked), but on the other hand, I want their suckage contained apart from the other characters as much as possible. Last night, it looked like Planet Jeremy changed its orbit to get away from the Black Hole of Abuse and Neglect, so good for him.

I love Stefan and Caroline, whether as friends or a couple or whatever. They don't need his brother or Elena, they get stuff done as their own little group. It is rotten that Stefan is being his brain fried as part of the deal to get the antidote, yet Damon and Elena can't even stop acting like dogs in heat long enough to ask after him. 

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 1

Ahhh, TV land, where girls put their bras on their chests and then reach behind their backs to fasten them. And you can talk about killing doppelgangers at full volume in a restaurant without the people at the table next to you overhearing. And you can talk about how you broke up with your boyfriend and then boned him while standing in line for your brother's parent-teacher conference surrounded by parents and no one hears a word!

When Caroline said she couldn't kill Tom, even to save Stefan, all I could think was oh gawd, now they're going to give Caroline the Elena treatment with the "I'm such a good person and my humanity is my weakness!" She even told Enzo that she's a good vampire (which made me think of Glinda asking Dorothy if she was a good witch or a bad witch). Never mind that she has killed before, but she just can't kill someone who has Stefan's sweet little face. Ugh. So her solution was to let Tom run away to live somewhere else and then let the travelers kill her BFF Stefan? I'm not saying she SHOULD have killed Tom, but if she can't live with the guilt of killing Tom herself then how could she live with the guilt of knowing she let her best friend be murdered by the travelers?

Also annoying - when Elena told Damon, "It's not just that we're bad for each other. It's that when we're together, we do bad things for each other. And I can't live like that." Oh, so it's okay for everyone else to do bad things to save Elena? Just not Damon?

I'm at the point where I feel like everyone on this show is a big fat hypocritical jerk so there's no one left for me to root for or side with. If the show had the balls to kill any of them off, I wouldn't care. which is sad because in S1 i would have been gutted if any of these characters had been killed off. Now my reaction would be more along the lines of ehhhh, they had it coming (plus I can't believe that any of the main characters stay dead on this show). Maybe I'm just still sad about TWoP closing and I can't think straight. Actually, I'm sadder about that than I would be if TVD got canceled or half the main cast got killed off. I don't know if that says more about how much I loveTWoP or how much I don't like TVD anymore.

Of all the people who are left, Jeremy is the only one who I want to live no matter what. I'm not clear on why he was so set on Damon not killing Liv, believing Liv when she was clearly still keeping things from him, etc. but I can at least understand why he's moving out given that his alternative is staying with Damon and Elena at Mossy Manse while they continue to fight/break up/have sex,  And hey, he's just moving into a different mansion so it's not like he's downgrading to some crappy shack. Plus he's moving into a mansion with two other dudes and no adult supervision! Now Elena won't side eye him every time he drinks!

I wasn't crazy about Liv during her first few episodes but if she's going to keep snarking on the NSDR, then let's keep her! I loved when Damon told her to pull up a chair and talk to the Mystic Falls amateur therapists and she said, "Never - EVER." But even better was when Damon took a break from torturing her to have another spat with Elena and Liv just said in the most exasperated tone, "OMG, just kill me already!" She reminds me of S2/S4 Spike on Buffy, totally annoyed that he has to put up with these idiots even when they're about to kill him.

It actually took me almost two hours to watch this episode. I kept stopping it because I was bored/annoyed/exasperated with these dummies.

When Enzo snapped Tom's neck, I thought FINALLY, now can we be done with this "Caroline is too nice to kill the doppelganger" plot? What would happen if Caroline had to choose between killing Tom or her other BFF Elena?

So mixing Stefan and Elena's blood together is the traveler equivalent of drinking the kool-aid?

I loved Liv's anti-eavesdropping spell. It's about time someone used one of those, especially since everyone on this show insists on having private conversations about top secret/supernatural stuff in public and/or within earshot of supernaturals with extra super good hearing/whoever isn't supposed to hear their top secret info.

Her big hair reminds me of Natasha Lyonne and Fauxmanda Clarke on Revenge. Maybe Liv's hair is so big because it's full of secrets.

I couldn't believe that Elena was comparing Jeremy ditching school to, well, pretty much every decision she has ever made on this show. It wasn't even a matter of the pot calling the kettle black. It was like the pot calling the kettle a big dumb stupid refrigerator. It made no sense at all.

I agree that Elena questioning Jeremy's judgement after he skips school was a bit of a head scratcher for me, of the multitude of issues she's involved in recently, that's what she wants to focus on? Hopefully moving in with Matt and Tyler will give all three of them something to do-- Tyler in particular seems to just float by in a handful of scenes a week without actually doing much of anything. I don't want to get on the horrible merry-go-round of Tyler/Caroline again anytime soon but he needs to do something to justify the actor's paycheck. 

Thanks for pointing out it was Marcus that crossed back over through Bonnie, I was seriously confused at the end there, but that makes sense. 

First Liv 1985 called....they want their hair back, I think she keeps her Grimoire in that mess.

Enzo you ROCK! keep him please

Caroline you SUCK!

I'm sorry but I can't help it, I LIKED the episode overall. I mean not like this season has much to compete for greatness with, these last two episodes were much better, though I agree a little too compartmentalized. I will confess I love Damon and like him and Elena so there is that.

Jermey should be close to 18 so I love that he is showing some sack and taking control of his life. I think he, Tyler and Puddin' Pop as roomies is awesome and so bang on. Just what he should be doing to progress in growing up. And as someone else said, just get a GED and ditch high school. Sorry did I missed something,  WTH when did he become a Hunter AGAIN? I thought that died with Silas?

If Damon and Elena are co-dependent then so are Stefan and Caroline.  I can't stand Caroline never could she was a bad human and a bad vampire. How can one person grow from bad person as a person to a good person as a vampire? When she was trying to kill DoppleTom she looked like she was going to strangle him first, sorry but hand to the chest was in order, she can't even halfheartedly try? Don't get me wrong I don't mind the friend chemistry with Stefan and Caroline, but they so BS each other about which one is the best bestest best ever good person. RME news flash you are VAMPIRES not people and neither of you are good.

I'm glad the hoard of singing Travelers morfed into Marcus b/c that could not go on much longer, but I'm now interested in this bringing several stories together, with Jermey, Bonnie, Tyler, Puddin' Pop, and I'm Gay so Gay Luke into the story with Caroline and Stefan. I'm interested in this story.

And while a little over to top I like delena so that stuff was good for me and I thought showed a little movement at the end even if it ate a little too much show. It seems clear Damon and Elena love each other, but don't know if they can make it work. I always thought stelena was puppish high school love and delena is somewhat realistic of more adult messy early adult love. YMMV

I always thought stelena was puppish high school love and delena is somewhat realistic of more adult messy early adult love. YMMV 

Whereas I thought Stefan and Elena was for the most part, a fairly healthy relationship, as healthy as anything can be in that crappy universe and Damon and Elena has been an unhealthy, toxic and gross disaster. Between her constant excuses for his shitty behavior which she has been doing even before they were a couple and not giving a shit that he basically tried to kill her brother AGAIN and his being a pathetic needy mess who goes all "me bad, me murderer" whenever his poor whittle feelings are hurt, they are just a hot mess of whiny and pathetic.

But I am fine with them staying together as I hate Elena and want her nowhere near Stefan so Damon can have her. I just wish we'd get one week without watching their tired, neverending shit. Oh and Plec and Dries should know that if you do something enough, it loses its luster. The furniture banging sex scenes were maybe hot the first time. Now it's just desperate and gratuitous. I also love that the ratings were shit this week. Hmm, you think maybe viewers are getting tired of the same stupid storyline they've been telling for two seasons now? And all that Elena and Damon sex against the wall in the promo didn't make the viewers run to watch?

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I so often want to stab Damon in the neck when I occasionally tune in to the show. Elena SUCKS as a sister. She should be ashamed of herself, but that would require a level of self-awareness and compassion that the vapid tramp lost a long long time ago. Like holy hell, why are you daydreaming about screwing your disgusting boyfriend at a parent-teacher conference. Can you possibly be any more incompetent as a guardian? 

I know that she does suck as a guardian, but why is she his guardian? Isn't she 19 or something like that. At 19 she should be dating the wrong guy and making some dumb choices. 

She's a guardian because unfortunately all of their family is dead. Their parents are dead and their aunt who was their guardian after their parents died was murdered by Klaus. And frankly I don't mind that Elena isn't suzie homemaker to Jeremy but it'd be nice if she's just shown to at least give a damn or have any interest in him at all other than a passing comment here and there that reminds viewers they're siblings. As someone noted above the girl couldn't take five minutes away from her Damon obsessing to focus on Jeremy while she was at a damn parent/teacher conference for him. And then because her lack of self awareness has no bounds, she has the gall to tell him she didn't trust him because he hadn't been making good decisions lately. Like are you serious?

• Love 1

I know that she does suck as a guardian, but why is she his guardian? Isn't she 19 or something like that. At 19 she should be dating the wrong guy and making some dumb choices. 

So much THIS.

I mean Aunt Jenna was a terrible guardian and openly admitted it often and she was late 20s at least. I don't see Elena being worse guardian to Jer than she was to Elena back in the day, I mean Elena was hookin' up with a vampire and Aunt Jenna was clueless.

One reason I like Delena is that it is soooo something a young adult girl who lost all her family would do. I mean her life is shit so screw being the "good little girl".

I love Damon but I think one reason everyone lets him slide when he tries to kill Jer including Jer himself is b/c Damon OWNS that he is a vampire, they are NOT cuddley little kittens if you are going to hang with a vampire and you aren't one, then death is pretty much a constant threat, I think Jer gets this, Elena maybe no so much.

I love Damon but I think one reason everyone lets him slide when he tries to kill Jer including Jer himself is b/c Damon OWNS that he is a vampire, they are NOT cuddley little kittens if you are going to hang with a vampire and you aren't one, then death is pretty much a constant threat, I think Jer gets this, Elena maybe no so much.

I disagree. Damon does not try to kill Jeremy because he's thirsty and needs human blood. Everytime he's tried to kill Jeremy is because he got his poor feelings hurt by Elena. If it was so about being a blood thirsty vampire, why the hell doesn't he kill her since she's the one hurting his whittle feelings. This has nothing to do with Damon owning that he's a vampire imo. S1 Damon that was going around terrorizing everyone including Stefan was owning his vampirism. Since then this has been about Damon and his so called angst and man-pain and how apparently he is crippled by his super amazing love for Elena and cannot be good unless she loves him and adores him and wants him. He is a weak, whiny man-child. And in my opinion, the real reason his shit is not addressed is because the writers don't want it being called out in canon. They can't have Jeremy truly pissed about Damon trying to kill him again because it would further spotlight how much of a shitty sister Elena is that she can still claim to be so in love with someone who continues to have such little regard for the only family she has left. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

In fairness, I thought they did a good job establishing the new role Elena has taken on as the world's worst guardian. This episode was probably the first that I actually considered it safe to fast-forward scenes (particularly the Delena scenes) but I managed to hang on through the whole thing.

My only hope is that if they aren't going to fire the cannon on Stefan/Caroline, they will just stop putting in these "moments." Shiptease is annoying even when you're not really invested, but it becomes ridiculous when you are. I'm getting Chlois flashbacks here.

Damon does not try to kill Jeremy because he's thirsty and needs human blood. Everytime he's tried to kill Jeremy is because he got his poor feelings hurt by Elena. If it was so about being a blood thirsty vampire, why the hell doesn't he kill her since she's the one hurting his whittle feelings. 

Agree! So much agreement. My question is, and maybe I didn't notice, I tend to be multitasking when the episodes are on nowadays, but does she know about the most recent time with Damon trying to kill Jeremy. I know Jeremy knows, obviously, but has anyone told Elena?

I mean, I know the sex can't be THAT good

Not sure I can agree with this particular statement! Hee. Probably not good enough to erase the him trying to kill Jeremy again. But I again, I am still unclear whether Elena actually knows this. 

I still don't think it was that bad an episode.

I won't get into shipper wars but Stelena was no more healthy a relationship than Delena.  The adorable Stefan stalked her for months to begin with and then with all the ripper stuff and her being so...her, it was just as bad.  Being paired with Elena guarantees either Salvatore a crappy storyline and a pretty crappy personality to go with the storyline.  Elena sucks everything fun and lovable out of both the Salvatores.

Fun things in this episode: Damon being snarky again.  Everything Enzo and the awesome death by doorknob.  Tom Avery's non-hero hair (so awful it was fun!) and his enthusiasm for those waffles.  Bonnie's little comment about Damon and Luke being cute too.  Stefan and Caroline's friendly cuddle in the minivan.  Jeremy moving in with Matt and Tyler.  Matt and Tyler telling the witches that Jeremy and Elena were their friends, and sometimes Damon too!  The Travelers dying so hopefully we won't have to listen to their chanting any longer. 

Overall, not so bad an episode.  If they would just have Elena go on an extended vacation, oh, maybe to New Orleans where the witches, vampires or werewolves will kill her, the show would be saved!

I don't ship Stelena or Delena, though I used to ship both, but in the times that Stefan and Elena were actually together (so, not counting him being the Ripper and having his humanity turned off by Klaus), they were clearly a healthier couple than Damon and Elena. So many reasons that are off-topic in this thread, though we can get into them somewhere else! But step one: Stefan doesn't hurt or threaten to hurt her friends and family. So to answer the previous poster's question: No, as far as we know, Elena isn't aware of Damon's most recent attempt to kill Jeremy. Honestly, I wouldn't be sure except that Elena wouldn't be so surprised that Jeremy wanted to move out. But at this point, I really don't think it's that big of a drama, compared to all the other things Damon's done this season and even just in the time Kat was in Elena's body, so I don't even think the writers are saving it for some big moment of shock and anger. I think they just don't care to address it.

^^ Agreed. Even though neither relationship is totally healthy, Delena is bubonic plague compared to Stelena and I'm not even shipping Stelena. Stefan's continued love towards Elena has become pathetic and I enjoy the character much more when he's far removed from her. As for Damon, I just want him to go to hell and take his twitchy eyebrow along with him.

Episode was just ok, much like the whole season. I'm still watching because...oh, hell, I have no freakin clue. But hey, at least they've set up for the next in line Big Bad so I'm mildly curious to see what the travelers are all about.