Type keyword(s) to search

Child Genius - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think the reason going first is actually a legitimate disadvantage is not because you can weed out the information that has already been asked, but because you can start to familiarize yourself with the question format. My guess is that they are given (for example for vocabulary) all the words and definitions. But the question format of say changing one word in the definition to make it work would be startling if you were first and could throw you off a little.

True but to hear Sam whine AGAIN about something he considers unfair was just too much.  This is the same kid that bitched about the number of cards he had to memorize not being exactly 52 and then in another round that the questions weren't fair or something to that affect.  Good grief get a grip!

• Love 1

True but to hear Sam whine AGAIN about something he considers unfair was just too much.  This is the same kid that bitched about the number of cards he had to memorize not being exactly 52 and then in another round that the questions weren't fair or something to that affect.  Good grief get a grip!

I know he's just a kid but Sam bugs just as much as paleo mom.

• Love 1

It's a memorization contest. They are given ALL the material that will be asked. They don't need to understand it, They memorized the paintings and don't have to know what the meaning of the paintings is or how the artist fit into his time and into the history of art. It's really stupid to me. They don't need to understand the artistry of Shakespeare, or his brilliant use of language or the irony in the play-just memorize the characters and the main plot lines of all of the plays. 

Sometimes they have some former knowledge which makes a category easier, like the one boy I am sure already knew a lot about the famous composers. If you don't memorize everything during the time given because you want to take a piss, you can get one wrong. 

Even in logic, they knew the EXACT  types of problems they would be given so were able to learn the tools to easily solve them so it was not that impressive as for us seeing these formats for the first time.

The pressure to spit back memorized facts is way too much for children. This contest is just mean to children and pointless really. 

Edited by operalover
  • Love 3

WTF?  I did not know this.  What a waste of time for the kids and myself.

It was super obvious in the current events round. No one would be an expert in all those different areas of sports, TV, movies etc. The questions were so widespread, asking for superbowl MVPS and soccer teams and Emmy winners and Oscar winners. Even an adult who kept up with all of that would be lucky to get a 4/10 because the questions were all over the place and so specific.

Claire answered one question "Saturday night LIVE" pronouncing "Live" as in Olive not as in Alive. Which proves she knows nothing about the program! she doesnt even know the name of it yet - or that it is a live show- yet she got that question right. It was on the study sheet. Which is why the parents get so stressed between themes as they have a lot of material to know inside out. And you need a memorization method and study method to be sure.  That is stress and time-consuming, no time for potty breaks

Edited by operalover
  • Love 3

Claire answered one question "Saturday night LIVE" pronouncing "Live" as in Olive not as in Alive. Which proves she knows nothing about the program!

Last week some of the kids badly mispronounced the names of some painters. composers and writers too, which bugged me.  So the show mostly seems about which kid can memorize the most, without necessarily understanding or appreciating the material.

I thought that this batch of kids performed pretty badly in the non-memorization competitions (logic problems, complicated mental arithmetic) compared to last year's kids.

I wish that one mother (can't remember which one) would stop yapping about how home-schooled kids often outperform kids in regular schools.  Well, sure they do, but many other kids under-perform.  Kids are home-schooled for all sorts of reasons, and not only because they're geniuses.

Adrian is growing on me; I love that happy little wiener!  Sam's parents need to buy him a blazer about 3 sizes smaller.  And why does Claire have to wear a party dress all the time?

Edited by DeepRed
  • Love 3

Sam needs a visit from the hickory switch as my grandma used to say. I hate ragging on a kid but he's such a whiny little brat and I can't believe his mom let him yell at an adult like that.

I just can't warm up to Chancellor's mom, I love him and his dad and his grandma was great, but the mom needs to lighten up. Let the kid be a kid. The other parents are controlling too but they seem to let the kids relax and play once in a while.

I love Claire, but she talks so fast that I have a hard time understanding her. She's a cute girl.

• Love 3

Sam needs a visit from the hickory switch as my grandma used to say. I hate ragging on a kid but he's such a whiny little brat and I can't believe his mom let him yell at an adult like that.

JMO but Sam's too young for this show (he's 9; the youngest competitor there, I think) and way too immature if he reacts like that and hides under tables when feeling stressed..

Last night's ep?  Meh.  A different kind of memory recall.  The more difficult math questions were kind of interesting.  I for one couldn't give you the cube root of a 5- or 6-digit number off the top of my head, but there are tricks to finding cube and square roots that some of the older kids there could learn and retain, I'd guess.  The key to this show seems to be pressure; the kids who can do all that stuff while under pressure win, but I'm not sure that makes them geniuses.  YMMV of course.

Another dietary lecture from Jaden's mom and another even fussier pink dress on Claire.

Geebus, Adrian's dad sucks. He thinks his being with Adrian and his mom is a good thing but no, no, no.

Yeah, the guy's quite the showboater.  Acts like he's God's gift.  Kudos to Olga, Adrian's mom, for not biting the guy's head off.  Even poor Adrian seemed frustrated by his dad's interference.

• Love 2

Chancellor thanking his dad and telling him happy birthday, then getting a 10 in math was the highlight for me.  Sam needs a trip to the wood shed.  I'm pretty much happy with anyone winning over Sam and Claire at this point.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

I don't think anyone here stated that the diet or life style was weird or unusual.  It's the parents, specifically the mother, that bugs.  It's her as a person that rubs me the wrong way for reasons I can't specifically state but as previous posters have said that perhaps she comes across as a bit judgmental (I'm paraphrasing) so again yay to Jaden and his palo diet but mom enh not so much.

Yeah, it was said. End Table did, (prior page) "I noticed that too. What crazy diet do they have him on?"   When I made my statement, I was specifically noting the word "crazy", but not quoting the author. 

• Love 1

Sam randomly being chosen first again made my day. (If you need me I'll be in hell).

Jaden's brother reminds me of Mason Disick---based solely on looks.

"Paleo-Eating Un-Schooled Kid Goes on Reality TV Child Genius Competition Show." Could have been an article in The Onion 15 years ago.

Arnav's baby sister is adorable. And I love his dad. Such a genuine smile. Lights up his face.

I love Sekou's enthusiasm. ///end sarcasm///

• Love 2

JMO but Sam's too young for this show (he's 9; the youngest competitor there, I think) and way too immature if he reacts like that and hides under tables when feeling stressed..

Sam is 12; not 9. Vivek and Arnav are both 9 and they are the youngest remaining contestants. Even Jaden was only 11 (or he was when the show started at least).

Chancellor's family is great, I loved his grandma.  

Grandma was the hero of the whole piece. Which made Mom (was it her daughter? or daughter in-law?) seemed even more of a wacko in contrast.

Last week some of the kids badly mispronounced the names of some painters. composers and writers too, which bugged me.  So the show mostly seems about which kid can memorize the most, without necessarily understanding or appreciating the material.

It's not like in any real sense Saturday Night Live means squat (it's legacy has a ceiling that stops short of it mattering to global history, as much as we might celebrate how it affects pop culture history). That said, yes. It shows a real weakness in this contest that they're just regurgitating back things they've memorized. I know memory is cited as an important key to intelligence by MENSA, but I think they weigh it far too heavily. 

• Love 2

I thought all of the kids were pretty great on the last episode. Although, I hate how Adrian's dad unnerves him. His mom is a saint for holding her tongue. I liked Arnov's dad and his approach. I liked Jaden's family working out. He must be a trainer. Sam is very immature and acts out when things don't go his way. To be honest he is probably just parroting what his mom is saying behind closed doors, but she is savvy enough to know not to say those things on camera. I think that the language of what he is saying are definitely topics that have been discussed behind closed doors. Sounds just like a mom and son that I knew from martial arts tournaments. The reason her kid didn't win was always because he got randomly picked first (not because he wasn't skilled enough). The whole thing about how unfair it was and the crying and whining. It was major Deja vu for me. 

• Love 1

Chancellor is growing on me, both his parents are hilarious xD
Vivek seems sweeter now too, also growing on me.
Nonsense about Sam being too young, there was a small girl in the UK version called Niha who was just as young, if not younger, and incredibly witty and well-spoken. It depends on the person but Sam seems like a brat, again. But lol that he's actually 12.
Surprised people made so many mistakes on the memory round, it seemed easier than the maths round xD But I guess stress.
If the USA version is like the UK, Adrian is going to win because he's getting the most screentime.

Nonsense about Sam being too young, there was a small girl in the UK version called Niha who was just as young, if not younger, and incredibly witty and well-spoken. It depends on the person but Sam seems like a brat, again. But lol that he's actually 12.

Surprised people made so many mistakes on the memory round, it seemed easier than the maths round xD But I guess stress.

If the USA version is like the UK, Adrian is going to win because he's getting the most screentime.

Sam is cute but he wears me out. Chance has posted pictures of he and Sam watching the show together so it seems like only adults find him tiresome. Maybe. I think he is coming close to the end of his mental strength for the competition if he crying about every.damn.thing that doesn't go his way. Clearly he is a smart guy; he just doesn't have the emotional or mental fortitude needed for this competition.

Although I am 100% on Chance's side, if he cannot win

I would be ok with Adrian or Claire and maybe Arnav. But I do spend the whole episode praying that Chance has done well.

Sam is cute but he wears me out. Chance has posted pictures of he and Sam watching the show together so it seems like only adults find him tiresome. Maybe. I think he is coming close to the end of his mental strength for the competition if he crying about every.damn.thing that doesn't go his way. Clearly he is a smart guy; he just doesn't have the emotional or mental fortitude needed for this competition.

Although I am 100% on Chance's side, if he cannot win

I would be ok with Adrian or Claire and maybe Arnav. But I do spend the whole episode praying that Chance has done well.

• Love 1

Sam is 12; not 9. Vivek and Arnav are both 9 and they are the youngest remaining contestants. Even Jaden was only 11 (or he was when the show started at least).

I stand corrected.  Wow, 12 is way too old to be acting like that.  Sam comes across as a much younger, petulant baby.  Ugh, I hate that I dislike a little kid so much.

• Love 4

Sam is clearly his momma's cute li'l button-boy.   I'd not be surprised if he's been approached for film -or, maybe, more realistically- commercial roles.  However, the immaturity and disrespectful attitude towards those in authority does not bode well for him, particularly in situations where he has to work cooperatively.  He'd better aspire to work in situations where he - or his mother - is the boss.

Arnov and his father have a nice sort of father-son relationship. It's not like the dad just showed up to be, well, a showboater.  Arnov's dad clearly admitted to uncertainty with respect to helping Arnov study.  It was nice to see Arnov succeed with his father's help;  there is something about his mother, though, that I just can't stand: Her intensity, her expression?  I don't know, it's just ---- something...

My reason for not wanting to see Arnov get the prize:  His mother.

I like Vivek, despite his "I smell something bad" expression.  Specifically, I liked his father's statement about their being middle class, and his humble nature. They could use the money (the oft-mentioned, "$100,000.), whereas I get the feeling some of the other families, particularly Chance's, are doing pretty well.

My reason for wanting Vivek to win:  His parents.

Claire in her pink Big Bird outfit....  I like Claire but, whew....  Those parents are another pair of perfectionists x 100,000,000,0000.   It would not hurt any of them one bit to see Claire on the lower rung for a change.  My reason for not rooting for Claire:   Her parents.

And, although I am always on edge re: Chance, wanting him to make it all the way to the top, I think of the money again; it certainly would appear his family is not exactly "middle class," in the traditional sense of the word.  One grandfather is a judge, another one a lawyer, his mother is an attorney, etc. etc. Looks like they have plenty of family support - financial and otherwise.   So, for that reason, I won't be too upset if Chance doesn't get the big money prize and the title of "Child Genius." (IMO, they're all little geniuses, academically, anyway.)

^I agree, I like Chance now but I wouldn't want him to win because his family seems absolutely loaded, so they don't need it. Although I'm not buying Adrian's mother's "we're so poor" speech. Also agreed about Vivek's mother, his dad is the cool one. And yeah.. I wonder if Claire actually likes those pink dresses.

• Love 1

Sam is clearly his momma's cute li'l button-boy. I'd not be surprised if he's been approached for film -or, maybe, more realistically- commercial roles. However, the immaturity and disrespectful attitude towards those in authority does not bode well for him, particularly in situations where he has to work cooperatively. He'd better aspire to work in situations where he - or his mother - is the boss.

Arnov and his father have a nice sort of father-son relationship. It's not like the dad just showed up to be, well, a showboater. Arnov's dad clearly admitted to uncertainty with respect to helping Arnov study. It was nice to see Arnov succeed with his father's help; there is something about his mother, though, that I just can't stand: Her intensity, her expression? I don't know, it's just ---- something...

My reason for not wanting to see Arnov get the prize: His mother.

I like Vivek, despite his "I smell something bad" expression. Specifically, I liked his father's statement about their being middle class, and his humble nature. They could use the money (the oft-mentioned, "$100,000.), whereas I get the feeling some of the other families, particularly Chance's, are doing pretty well.

My reason for wanting Vivek to win: His parents.

Claire in her pink Big Bird outfit.... I like Claire but, whew.... Those parents are another pair of perfectionists x 100,000,000,0000. It would not hurt any of them one bit to see Claire on the lower rung for a change. My reason for not rooting for Claire: Her parents.

And, although I am always on edge re: Chance, wanting him to make it all the way to the top, I think of the money again; it certainly would appear his family is not exactly "middle class," in the traditional sense of the word. One grandfather is a judge, another one a lawyer, his mother is an attorney, etc. etc. Looks like they have plenty of family support - financial and otherwise. So, for that reason, I won't be too upset if Chance doesn't get the big money prize and the title of "Child Genius." (IMO, they're all little geniuses, academically, anyway.)

One nit about Chance, mom is not a lawyer. She was working on Wall Street but is 100% stay at home mom now. She has a younger daughter to care for at home in addition to Chance. But, clearly, they don't need her money. They are in fact very well taken care of. Chance has access to support that maybe Adrian doesn't (he has been talking about needing the money too I think) but I don't think that is a reason for him not to win.

• Love 1

I like Vivek, despite his "I smell something bad" expression.  Specifically, I liked his father's statement about their being middle class, and his humble nature. They could use the money (the oft-mentioned, "$100,000.), whereas I get the feeling some of the other families, particularly Chance's, are doing pretty well.

My reason for wanting Vivek to win:  His parents.

LoL!  He's got the who farted face *tee hee hee*  But his family does seem kinda cool and I just LOVE his little baby sister.  Seeing her strapped to dad's torso is just too cute.  I would be happy if he won as well. 

Plus I would like to see a kid win who maybe didn't always place 1st but who worked thru the difficulty and said in the game.  Having someone like Adrian or Claire win just would be so anti climatic for me.

StayingAfterSunday, what makes you say that you wouldn't be surprised if Sam had been approached for movie or TV roles? He's nothing special, he just looks like a typical boy wearing a suit that's too big.

I can't believe that kid is 12! My 4 year old grandson is better behaved and can handle stress better than that kid can. Plus if he ever tried to speak to an adult the way Sam does, he'd be disciplined.

Sam is a brat.

I like Chance and his dad, but there's just something about his mom that rubs me the wrong way. She's so smug, she seems like a total snob to me.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1

I hate to keep ragging on her because somebody here say they know her, but my god, Chance's mom bugs. She keeps talking like she's the one competing, she keeps saying "I want to win". She gives no credit to Chance for what he does, she just complains about him.

Her ordering him to answer and not pass also made me mad, I'd like to see her up there doing what these kids are doing.

I cheered like a crazy woman every time Chance passed.

I'm sorry to see Chance go though. He seems like a great kid and I liked his family.

Sam got some easy ones tonight, the Great Wall of China and Mount Rushmore, really? My non genius 7 year old granddaughter knows those.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1

I missed stone-face Sekou last night.

Little Carmen Miranda made me laugh when normally she just bugs.

"Ten year old high school senior Adrian needs a tux for prom." LOL! He should take Claire as his date.

The kids are really sweet to each other and it makes me have way too many feels.

You can probably say this about several other rounds, but what in the world is the point of being able to spell a word backwards???? Will this EVER come in handy later in life?

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 3

I hate to keep ragging on her because somebody here say they know her, but my god, Chance's mom bugs. She keeps talking like she's the one competing, she keeps saying "I want to win". She gives no credit to Chance for what he does, she just complains about him.

Her ordering him to answer and not pass also made me mad, I'd like to see her up there doing what these kids are doing.

I cheered like a crazy woman every time Chance passed.

I'm sorry to see Chance go though. He seems like a great kid and I liked his family.

Sam got some easy ones tonight, the Great Wall of China and Mount Rushmore, really? My non genius 7 year old granddaughter knows those.

No harm, no foul on talking about my girl. She is not coming across well at all so I understand how folks don't feel good about her.

I'm sad for Chance. He is a sweetie. I hope to meet him sooner than later just to give him a high five! He is an awesome kid.

Adrian at prom...the thought tickles me. And his "requirements" really made me chuckle. I love him. Yes, he and Claire at prom would be the cutest possible.

• Love 1

I am disturbed about Vivek's speech.  Does he live in India or the United States? He says den and dis and tings. Also she says Vin and Will and leaves out articles. 

The landmarks questions were easy. we got a glimpse of the study materials. They were given cards with a photo of the landmark on one side and a list of facts about it on the other side. Strict memorization. They didn't do that well on the spelling, especially the unscrambling, which challenges a certain part of the brain. I would expect a true genius would be very good at it, these kids sucked.

As for the $100,000 scholarship, EVERY one of these kids is going to be offered a full ride at the college of their choice so the money does not make that much difference.

I am disturbed about Vivek's speech. Does he live in India or the United States? He says den and dis and tings. Also she says Vin and Will and leaves out articles.

The landmarks questions were easy. we got a glimpse of the study materials. They were given cards with a photo of the landmark on one side and a list of facts about it on the other side. Strict memorization. They didn't do that well on the spelling, especially the unscrambling, which challenges a certain part of the brain. I would expect a true genius would be very good at it, these kids sucked.

As for the $100,000 scholarship, EVERY one of these kids is going to be offered a full ride at the college of their choice so the money does not make that much difference.

Is Vivec homeschooled? I ask bc if he has only been taught at home maybe he hasn't had his pronunciation corrected. Even if schooled outside the home, I think most speak what they hear at home.

I agree that these kids are more likely than not to get full rides to school when they go. Another question - are all the kids in more advanced grades like Adrian or are they just getting advanced work in their regular grades/classes?

The spelling round usually shows up these geniuses, doesn't it?

The scrambling thing though is interesting. It brings something new to this round. And the backwards spelling? Hah!

Adrian, Arnav, and Sam continue to bug. Adrian and his forced precociousness continue to bug. Those squeals that came out of Arnav shouldn't come out of any kid.  And Sam? Well he wasn't the whiner this time, but instead was smarmy. 

Vivek really grew on me this episode.  He was really sweet to Arnav after he tanked his first round, and his Dad seems really cool too.  

I felt sorry for Chance because of that annoying Tiger Mom of his. Grandma WAS there, we could see, but it didn't help.

Claire seems like an okay kid, but once again she showed that she's just a memory machine. "Constantanipple"?  Come on kid! Actually LEARN something for a chance rather than just memorize!

I can't stand Sam, is he the oldest one left now?
Poor Claire, if she's not a girly girl, being stuck in all those puffy pink dresses xD
I wonder if Adrian's mum started talking in Russian in order to leave his father out xD
Really I think I'd only be happy with a Claire or Vivek win. You guys can excuse Arnav by speculating that he's autistic but I'm not convinced, and these tantrums are too much.
Did Claire answer a question "Constantinipple" by the way! :D
So in the top 5, we have two Russians, two Indians and.. what is Claire, Chinese? But her dad doesn't look Chinese?
Oh nooooo it looks like Claire is out next :'C

Vivek is adorable. I'm pulling for him and Adrian. Adrian is buckling it seems he wasn't as happy as previous round s this week. He just seemed down.

Sam and other boy seem bratty. Claire is doing well and I'm happy for her.

• Love 1

awwww I actually love Sam! not so much when he gets super whiney but some of the things that come out of his mouth crack me up.  I didn't realize he was one of the oldest though.  I thought he was one of the youngest which might be why my perceptions is skewed.  

And to the person who asked, he is the oldest left now.  He's 12 and the rest are 9 and 10.

I really wish they would sequester the kids and not have them watch others - ask them all the same questions, have the questions weighted by points, easy question get less points, harder questions get more points.  I dislike that we can tell who's going right at the end of the 2nd round.

• Love 2

I really wish they would sequester the kids and not have them watch others - ask them all the same questions, have the questions weighted by points, easy question get less points, harder questions get more points.  I dislike that we can tell who's going right at the end of the 2nd round.

I also wish the parents weren't in the room. I feel like it makes the kids more nervous. But then if no other kids and no parents in the room, who would be the audience? I suppose it doesn't make sense.

I can't stand Sam, is he the oldest one left now?

Poor Claire, if she's not a girly girl, being stuck in all those puffy pink dresses xD

I wonder if Adrian's mum started talking in Russian in order to leave his father out xD

Really I think I'd only be happy with a Claire or Vivek win. You guys can excuse Arnav by speculating that he's autistic but I'm not convinced, and these tantrums are too much.

Did Claire answer a question "Constantinipple" by the way! :D

So in the top 5, we have two Russians, two Indians and.. what is Claire, Chinese? But her dad doesn't look Chinese?

Oh nooooo it looks like Claire is out next :'C

Arnav is a textbook Asperger case. His outburst last night about the 9/10 and sitting in his chair obsessing was so typical. The temper tantrums are a huge part of his type of autism. He was so weird about that spider web too. I've been around a lot of these kids and he is just like them. They don't seem to spend much time with him either. I wonder why?

This time in the logic round it really was bad to go first. So you know what to do and what to pass on. I didn't understand one of Arnav's questions at first.

Aww Vivek :( Come on, Claire to win. Adrian seemed very cocky dancing about his 10/10 right in front of Vivek who was in danger.

Olga said she was in America for her CHILDREN? Adrian has a sibling?

Those sudokus where they gave 2 numbers and they had to guess the 3rd were so easy, how did they all get them wrong?''

POINTS OFF FOR MAGNA CARTER WHAT, that's exactly how any Australian would say it, it's so close enough to be correct, just an accent thing. How is that incorrect but Saturday Night Liv was ok! Poor Vivek because his wasn't English pronunciation but his was actually incorrect so right he went home.His family was really nice about it.

• Love 1

POINTS OFF FOR MAGNA CARTER WHAT, that's exactly how any Australian would say it, it's so close enough to be correct, just an accent thing. How is that incorrect but Saturday Night Liv was ok! Poor Vivek because his wasn't English pronunciation but his was actually incorrect so right he went home.His family was really nice about it.

The correct answer was The Daily Show, so Claire's pronunciation of Saturday Night Live didn't matter. She was already wrong.

I'm sad, because Vivek was my favorite from the beginning. I think he's adorable. I like Claire, but wow. Her mom is nasty.

• Love 4

I agree with the Magna Carter ruling. She didn't know what it was at all and remembered it as Magna Carter so it was not a pronunciation--she didnt have it memorized cold. When she was saying out loud in study I bet she said Magna Carta but didn't really know it 100%. The brain is funny that way - you know but you don't know and can guess something quite close to correct.   Vivek was trying to pronounce the French using English phonetic rules. His parents English is quite Indian but maybe they did not know the French word either but I think he never said it aloud.  Ver-Sall-Es is what he said which is Versailles spoken with English rules. He may have learned it by reading and never said it aloud to be corrected. He knew it- in a written test he would have been correct. Clare would have been wrong in a written test.

Vivek is lucky this is the first time he was out for pronunciation as his English pronunciation is horrendous. WE don't roll our R's in American English (nor British english) and he does. It's a very defined trill. He says "V" for "w" and "D" for "th" and Speen-AHHch for spinach and a myriad of other heavy Indian English pronunciations. Arnav's parents are from India but he does not sound like them. Once you hit 10-12 years old it is extremely difficult to lose an accent, in fact it's nearly impossible because the hearing becomes much less acute. This is why most people arriving to a new country with a new language after the age of 12 have accents and younger than that do not. 

awwww bye vivek :(  I will miss you.

I feel like Sam is sort of the comeback kid.  He was having a pretty wrong time up until a week or so ago.  They are all probably expecting him to crumble and fall each round but he keeps sneaky by.

Claire very obviously said car-TER.  Not car-TA.  It was not an accent thing. But that is a very good question about when Saturday Night Liv was said. Perhaps they just get a bit more picky at this point in the competition.  They may even tell the parents that at a certain point pronunciations must be exact. 

Vivek is lucky this is the first time he was out for pronunciation as his English pronunciation is horrendous. WE don't roll our R's in American English (nor British english) and he does. It's a very defined trill. He says "V" for "w" and "D" for "th" and Speen-AHHch for spinach and a myriad of other heavy Indian English pronunciations. Arnav's parents are from India but he does not sound like them. Once you hit 10-12 years old it is extremely difficult to lose an accent, in fact it's nearly impossible because the hearing becomes much less acute. This is why most people arriving to a new country with a new language after the age of 12 have accents and younger than that do not. 

What's interesting is that his dad seems to have even less than an accent than Vivek lol 

Edited by gunderda

I agree with the Magna Carter ruling. She didn't know what it was at all and remembered it as Magna Carter so it was not a pronunciation--she didnt have it memorized cold. When she was saying out loud in study I bet she said Magna Carta but didn't really know it 100%. The brain is funny that way - you know but you don't know and can guess something quite close to correct.   Vivek was trying to pronounce the French using English phonetic rules. His parents English is quite Indian but maybe they did not know the French word either but I think he never said it aloud.  Ver-Sall-Es is what he said which is Versailles spoken with English rules. He may have learned it by reading and never said it aloud to be corrected. He knew it- in a written test he would have been correct. Clare would have been wrong in a written test.

Yeah, actually he kind of says W for V, or at least I heard something like "Wer-say-lies". Is it his English pronunciation or does he just have a lisp? They should have had both Claire and Vivek come up and spell their answer to check what they meant. 

Having the kids spell the words is a great idea. It's not fair to deduct points because of their accents.

I just can't like Adrian, I've tried but I can't. I don't know what it is but the whole schtick just doesn't seem real. He's the exact bratty, nerdy kid who would be the annoying next door neighbor on a sitcom or something, straight down to his clothes.

It's hard to explain but when I see the other kids, I see regular kids, when I see Adrian I see a character, not a person.

• Love 3
I just can't like Adrian, I've tried but I can't. I don't know what it is but the whole schtick just doesn't seem real. He's the exact bratty, nerdy kid who would be the annoying next door neighbor on a sitcom or something, straight down to his clothes.

It's hard to explain but when I see the other kids, I see regular kids, when I see Adrian I see a character, not a person.

Word.  I wanted to like him but I just can't.  Bratty is the correct adjective to describe him; I hated his smug attitude at receiving a perfect score while everyone else was upset about their low scores.  If you are as smart and as self aware as you claim to be you would realize that other people where hurting and didn't want to see your fat ass doing a happy dance!  Gah!  I hate that I feel this way about a 10 year old kid but wow I just want to punch him every time he's on my screen. 

• Love 1