Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E04: Blast From The Past

• Start Topic

If this turns out like Bunim-Murray's other fight shows, then I totally get why the main cast is mostly unlikable. It's like Bad Girls Club now, basically, so each new cast member will be ganged up on by the others. It'll automatically make the newbies seem likable by comparison and maybe even turn them into heroic characters, and the early-arrivals will be the bullies. By the end of the season, the bullies won't outnumber the heroes, who will most likely come out on top. Built-in story arc.

Other than that, the blonde girl everybody looks down on is the most interesting so far. She's smart to go solo. It's not like they can vote her out for doing her own thing, and as long as she does interesting shit, she'll get her own storyline featured.

The other brunette girl who was way more upset than the one whose boss moved in? She was just trying to get the hate-train running hard before her nemesis arrives, right? She's an angry person. A strategic angry person.

Edited by Liqidclark
  • Love 1

It was sylvia who technically got the unwelcome guest. Although, violetta made it all about her. Oh and the real world is now officially the bad girls club. Awesome. Except not really. This show shouldn't be called real world anymore. It's not about strangers learning to live together. It's shock tv. That's fine but it's far removed from the initial concept.

• Love 2

Doesn't the format of RW turn off would-be candidates? I mean, would you go into a situation where you know you're going to get ambushed, even if you get some drinking and nookie out of it?

Big fat "whatever" to tonight's episode . . . I don't think anybody looked good, not even Nicole.

• Love 2

Doesn't the format of RW turn off would-be candidates? I mean, would you go into a situation where you know you're going to get ambushed, even if you get some drinking and nookie out of it?

Big fat "whatever" to tonight's episode . . . I don't think anybody looked good, not even Nicole.

You get to be on TV, so no. If these were your average sane/logical thinking people, they wouldn't sign up for this in the first place.

He had some very funny moments last season but when he said he work up next to Jonna, looked at her, and then immediately knew he had to end it.....it came off douchey.

In Jon Murray's Reddit chat someone asked him if it was true that Alicia was originally cast, but when they interviewed Sylvia they decided to cast her instead and he said "I'll never tell" so I believe its true.

Edited by choclatechip45

I'm sorry, but I just can't with Violetta. Whether it's an act or not, her Ms. Bossy Badass routine is getting on my last nerve. I don't have a problem with her siding with and defending her original roommates, but why be so over-the-top dramatic. If I was Alicia, I might've started swinging at some point. But Alicia is probably doing the best thing (for now), just don't react much and let the others make themselves look bad.

I don't care for Sylvia's hotheadedness either. The problem is she was actually in the right when it came to Tony not paying his fair share. But because she went the overly dramatic route, she made herself look like the bad person. I know Bruno was being a dick earlier, but you can't let that drive you to insanity.

Jason made sense on a couple fronts. Yeah, you shouldn't take the new girl's words at face value. But he also was right when he told Madison to think for herself. Believe me, it's not easy being neutral and low-key when others are trying to browbeat you into being on their side. But you have to show some backbone and own your personal feelings.

I didn't even love Nicole this week (her strong personality seemed a bit too strong this episode). I'm not trying to bag on just the girls, it's just that they're so much more demonstrative. Tony and Bruno have certainly had their meltdowns, but they're usually doing them as reactions to others getting in their faces.

• Love 1

Just as if I were auditioning for The Bachelor, I would never tell the truth about what I'm afraid of so I wouldn't be forced to, say, bungee jump, I also would not, in an audition for The Real World, give the true identity of anyone I wouldn't want to see "surprising" me during the season.  These kids, of course, are too dumb to answer such questions with strategery.

• Love 3

Well, the roommates really showed their ass this week, particularly Violetta. IA with everyone who said that was a preemptive strike so the roommates would be shitty to her "skeleton(s)". And boy was she an asshole! I'm not sure how much of that was her defending Sylvia/prepping for her own skeleton vs. her normal attitude, though; she's been a dick from day one.

Why does Alicia (Sylvia's boss) look like Jessica's (RW:Portland) older sister?

This season is going to end up like last season where I liked the "exes" more than the original cast members. Last season I only liked Arielle from the original cast, but I thought Brian ("I'm a deep dude"), Hailey, Jenna, and Ashley (Arielle's ex) were cool. I'm thinking the "skeletons" could end up looking better than the original cast members by the end of this as well. Nevermind. I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate everyone by the end of this season.

Violetta is insufferable and beyond batshit crazy. Most of the arguments in this house make no sense and are alcohol-induced, but her hatred for Alicia (who does seem pretty lame) is based solely on what Sylvia has said about her. It's so junior high to make judgments on people based on gossip. Alicia and Sylvia are enemies, so, of course, they're going to bad mouth each other. No one knows what the truth is, and it's ridiculous to rush to judgment. It's one thing to have your roommate's back and quite another to automatically hate someone who you haven't given a fair shake. Obviously, out of respect for Sylvia, they should tread cautiously and not try to be her BFF like Madison did, but being rude to her right off the bat is so juvenile.

I'm sure when Violetta called the producer and said "you know that somebody's going to get killed, right?" that the producer responded with a "yeah, we hope so." I can't wait until the security guards come out like last season.

I don't know why, but Sylvia can do no wrong by me. I really like her. She can soil the confessional couch, have poor tastes in guys, i.e. her ex was an abusive drug dealer and Bruno, or unleash her crazy on Tony for not paying his bar tab. Normally this type of behavior would cause me to dislike a person, but I give her a pass because I see a beautiful person there who can be mature and rational. She's kind of like the sexy house mother who cleans up, but also gets drunk and streaks. I thought she was right to yell at "Two Beers" Tony. You should have to pay for what you drink. These people do need take responsibility for their actions and should be called to task when they mess up. 2 beers, my ass. He wouldn't have gotten that drunk off of 2 beers. 

I'm glad to see Bruno, at least, admit his douchebaggery. That's the first step. However, he seems to get off on rubbing his relationship with Carla in Sylvia's face. He sucks for that. They really shouldn't talk about it since Sylvia ends up crying every time. My concern is that his relationship with Carla goes beyond a showmance and that she will see the "5-minute" man episode with Pamela. I'm not sure the order of events, but it seems like he hooked up with her after he met Carla and already seemed smitten with her. That could provide a difficult moment in their relationship if it lasts past the show. I'm sure Bruno will screw it up by then though. His "skeleton" will probably screw everything up.

Tony, Tony, Tony! DO NOT sleep with Madison. That's going to be the biggest mistake of his life. I thought he was going to be smart enough not to do that, but my initial impression that they were going to sleep together was right. His ex-girlfriend will come and we could be in for a big cat fight or maybe another mud wrestling session. I hope so. That would be the best thing that could happen.

One thing that bothers me is the ease with which these kids can get jobs. I bet you there are unemployed people in Chicago right now that would love to "work" at a bar and wouldn't get hired if they applied. However, the Real World kids can bring revenue and notoriety to the bar so they're automatically given jobs. I know that cast members have been fired in the past, but they also get special treatment. Sylvia seemed to be working hard while Madison went outside and played with a dog. Most employees wouldn't be allowed to do that. I think Violetta took a shot while working too. I don't think that's allowed under typical work situations. I guess they're working at least, but I still find it irksome.

• Love 1

Maybe Violetta used to work at SUR. They sneak drinks all the time on Vanderpump Rules.

I knew Tony and Madison would bang, and I figured it'd be right before his girlfriend showed up as his "skeleton". I just thought it wouldn't happen for another episode or two.

I'm sorry, but I just can't with Violetta. Whether it's an act or not, her Ms. Bossy Badass routine is getting on my last nerve. I don't have a problem with her siding with and defending her original roommates, but why be so over-the-top dramatic. If I was Alicia, I might've started swinging at some point. But Alicia is probably doing the best thing (for now), just don't react much and let the others make themselves look bad.

I don't care for Sylvia's hotheadedness either. The problem is she was actually in the right when it came to Tony not paying his fair share. But because she went the overly dramatic route, she made herself look like the bad person. I know Bruno was being a dick earlier, but you can't let that drive you to insanity.

Jason made sense on a couple fronts. Yeah, you shouldn't take the new girl's words at face value. But he also was right when he told Madison to think for herself. Believe me, it's not easy being neutral and low-key when others are trying to browbeat you into being on their side. But you have to show some backbone and own your personal feelings.

I didn't even love Nicole this week (her strong personality seemed a bit too strong this episode). I'm not trying to bag on just the girls, it's just that they're so much more demonstrative. Tony and Bruno have certainly had their meltdowns, but they're usually doing them as reactions to others getting in their faces.

Madison is still the worst to me.

The overeagerness to meet the new people, the blankness when told WHY it's probably not a good thing, and then the decision to throw the bed over the railing and THEN asking Jason permission to put it back when he literally JUST TOLD HER to think for herself.

She borders on too stupid to live.

Maybe Violetta used to work at SUR. They sneak drinks all the time on Vanderpump Rules.

I knew Tony and Madison would bang, and I figured it'd be right before his girlfriend showed up as his "skeleton". I just thought it wouldn't happen for another episode or two.

My bartender drinks all the time. Well, he used to, but he's got high blood pressure. 

He switched from shots of Jameson to a diluted glass of wine he keeps full all shift.

• Love 4

Well, the roommates really showed their ass this week, particularly Violetta. IA with everyone who said that was a preemptive strike so the roommates would be shitty to her "skeleton(s)". And boy was she an asshole! I'm not sure how much of that was her defending Sylvia/prepping for her own skeleton vs. her normal attitude, though; she's been a dick from day one.

Why does Alicia (Sylvia's boss) look like Jessica's (RW:Portland) older sister?

Omg, when I first saw her I thought "She looks like Jessica!!"

One thing that bothers me is the ease with which these kids can get jobs. I bet you there are unemployed people in Chicago right now that would love to "work" at a bar and wouldn't get hired if they applied. However, the Real World kids can bring revenue and notoriety to the bar so they're automatically given jobs. 

I think it's more likely they set it up the way they did in the earlier seasons.  From Miami on, people were expected to quit their day job and go to one arranged for them by BM for the duration of their stay, complete with pre-arranged vacation time to do the requisite trip to a beach.  Their jobs used to be a lot bigger part of the episodes, now it's just drinking, sex, and fighting, and if they happen to mention work, it's almost more like an editing mistake.

• Love 1

I think it's more likely they set it up the way they did in the earlier seasons.  From Miami on, people were expected to quit their day job and go to one arranged for them by BM for the duration of their stay, complete with pre-arranged vacation time to do the requisite trip to a beach.  Their jobs used to be a lot bigger part of the episodes, now it's just drinking, sex, and fighting, and if they happen to mention work, it's almost more like an editing mistake.

Yes, this is definitely true. I remember the group job for all of the cast members being a major part of the plot in past seasons. Now with gimmicks like "ex-plosion" and "skeletons", the job is more of a non-factor that doesn't get much attention. I guess MTV wants to hook them up with jobs so the cast can pay for their own alcohol, which, in turn, will cause them to get into arguments and create drama. I thought MTV covered bar tabs, but we're learning this season that they don't cover them (or at least all of them).

Struggling to pay bar tabs has been a major source of conflict this season. Of course it's possible that MTV gives them a booze stipend and these clowns have burned through it with their excessive drinking. There seems to be an abundance of alcohol on The Challenge, so I thought it was freely provided on The Real World too.

While I'm glad they have to "earn" money, it still does bug me that these kids can come to Chicago and have jobs handed to them when there's so many people who can't find work. But I understand that it's all set up by production and that the bar is more than pleased to get the publicity that this show provides them.

Edited by jmonkey

Struggling to pay bar tabs has been a major source of conflict this season. Of course it's possible that MTV gives them a booze stipend and these clowns have burned through it with their excessive drinking. There seems to be an abundance of alcohol on The Challenge, so I thought it was freely provided on The Real World too.

It started a fight last season on The Challenge were CT was left to pay over $700 at a bar they were at.

• Love 1

It started a fight last season on The Challenge were CT was left to pay over $700 at a bar they were at.

Yes, I remember that. I think they might provide alcohol at the Challenge and Real World houses, but maybe the cast is on their own when they go out to bars. 

• Love 1

Yes, I remember that. I think they might provide alcohol at the Challenge and Real World houses, but maybe the cast is on their own when they go out to bars.

They are not allowed to bring booze in the challenge house. people get into trouble for that.

Yes, this is definitely true. I remember the group job for all of the cast members being a major part of the plot in past seasons. Now with gimmicks like "ex-plosion" and "skeletons", the job is more of a non-factor that doesn't get much attention. I guess MTV wants to hook them up with jobs so the cast can pay for their own alcohol, which, in turn, will cause them to get into arguments and create drama. I thought MTV covered bar tabs, but we're learning this season that they don't cover them (or at least all of them).

I used to enjoy watching them when they had the group jobs or projects that they worked on. I thought it was far more (pardon the pun) "real" that way.

I think it's kind of sad and funny at the same time how Jersey Shore was even more realistic in this regard, when they all worked at that t-shirt printing place.

They are not allowed to bring booze in the challenge house. people get into trouble for that.

I've heard that production provides booze on The Challenge. I see a lot of drinking in the Challenge houses, so they must if the cast members aren't allowed to bring booze into the house. However, I'm not so sure about The Real World. Sylvia's skeleton, Alicia, brought some alcohol into The Real World house in the last episode and Madison and her enjoyed it. That didn't seem to be a problem. If production provides free booze at the house though, I'm not sure why the cast would go out to bars and ring up ridiculous bar tabs they can't pay for. I guess it's kind of required of them to go out and party on shows like these. I suppose The Challenge and The Real World have different policies when it comes to alcohol.

Edited by jmonkey
  • Love 1

I've heard that production provides booze on The Challenge. I see a lot of drinking in the Challenge houses, so they must if the cast members aren't allowed to bring booze into the house. However, I'm not so sure about The Real World. Sylvia's skeleton, Alicia, brought some alcohol into The Real World house in the last episode and Madison and her enjoyed it. That didn't seem to be a problem. If production provides free booze at the house though, I'm not sure why the cast would go out to bars and ring up ridiculous bar tabs they can't pay for. I guess it's kind of required of them to go out and party on shows like these. I suppose The Challenge and The Real World have different policies when it comes to alcohol.

I think it depends on the location I remember an interview with Leroy when Vegas 2.0 was airing that the club at the Hard Rock provided them free bottle service. It was one of the reasons he was so pissed at Adam because the Hard Rock threatened to take that away due to how he was acting.

From what I've been able to tell from interviews, the booze is provided in The Challenge house, because they want to control when they're drinking.  People still try to hide it, but they give them a limited amount so they aren't getting drunk on days they're expected to do a dangerous challenge.  I can't remember who it was, but they're supposed to not give them very good alcohol either, which is part of the reason they try to sneak it in.  If they go out to a bar, they're on their own.

• Love 1

I used to enjoy watching them when they had the group jobs or projects that they worked on. I thought it was far more (pardon the pun) "real" that way.

I think it's kind of sad and funny at the same time how Jersey Shore was even more realistic in this regard, when they all worked at that t-shirt printing place.

Yes, the group job used to be one of my favorite parts of watching The Real World. My favorite group job was the after-school program in the Boston season. There were a lot of touching moments associated with that job for the cast and kids. I can't imagine the cast on this season doing something like that. The casting is so different now that the group job has to either be a restaurant/bar or something fun. Otherwise these kids just won't show up for work. Of course not showing up for work was grounds for dismissal on previous seasons of The Real World.

This is rather moot anyway since The Real World is all about the gimmicks now and the group job is no longer one of the focal points of the show. However, I agree that it would be more "real" to put these cast members in positions of responsibility. I much prefer that kind of conflict to the drunken shenanigans and manufactured drama we're getting with "ex-plosion" and "skeletons."

Edited by jmonkey
  • Love 1