Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers With Speculation

SueB
Message added by ohjoy

Please keep your speculation and comments on the end of Supernatural in the Supernatural Ending topic. Use this topic here or the Bitter Speculation topic for discussion of the upcoming season only. As always, keep Bitch vs. Jerk discussion in its own topic.

Thank you.

• Start Topic

Supernatural is probably the CW's most steady show right now. The ratings mostly hold no matter where they put it and it's got a huge built in fanbase and it's fairly inexpensive for them to produce since it's got a history of 10 seasons behind it. Seems like a no-brainer for it to be renewed. So, my belief is the show will probably only get canceled if and/or when people say they won't come back. Not just Jared and Jensen--although they're the biggest ones--but if producers and writers also declined another season.

• Love 1

and it's fairly inexpensive for them to produce

In terms of salaries, old shows are getting extremely expensive. I don`t think this one is exactly cheap these days. It`s not "we get a million per episode" Big Bang style for CW-shows, it probably costs even with that small a cast. It`s still a good bargain for the studio because they get the syndication money and overseas sales etc. The CW doesn`t get any of that so it probably is a question on how good a deal Warner cuts with them.  

(edited)

Well, sure salaries go up, but the actual cost to produce the show goes down the longer it runs because they have sets already built they can re-purpose, a warehouse full of props, a team of folks that are already a well-oiled machine and a built in fan base. Taking on a new show means they have to invest in new sets and such, plus they have to do a lot more advertising to get the word out. So, it's relatively cheap to produce in comparison to taking on a new show. 

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

Granted, it`s always a risk with a new show but the network has to be looking at pumping in some fresh blood. If they had a stable line-up of "middle-aged" shows and two or three more Pilots they were really confident about, something as ancient as an 11th year show would be the first to go. But they don`t so it stays. Foiled by the incompetence of others time and time again. Sigh.

Now that I could get behind.  Chuck as Prophet works for me.  Let God work through him like he did before.  I just can't see how they can have God appear on the show without totally jumping the shark, so I really hope they don't go there.  

IDK. Their source of data is the TVLine article, which matches what the ecumenical article said.... except for the title... which implies Chuck is God. But it's not definitive.    So... I think what we know for sure: "Rob Benedict will reprise his role as Chuck in Episode 20." I think everything else is "fill in the grey space" by the article writers.

• Love 1

Actually, I think my ideal ending would be the boys, bloody and triumphant after defeating whatever the biggest-bad-in-the-universe the writers had come up with, staggering to the car together, supporting each other and grinning. Then Dean tosses the weapons into the trunk, says, "we've got work to do," and they smile and nod at each other, slam the trunk lid down and ride off into the sunset.

This is mine too!!! This or a truly happy ending, which I think is probably unrealistic.

• Love 3

It would suck for Sam to lose his only friend Castiel but every season, Cas is linked to the boring-ass angels/heaven story which drags the show down so maybe it is time for Cas to go and take the other angels with him. 

I really don't understand why TPTB don't just clip Cas' wings and be done with the whole angels/heaven crap. No other angel character has been as popular as Cas. Since they can't bear to let him go, they keep attempting to create separate Heaven/angel stories for Cas (because God forbid he be with the boys! Can't piss off the 'brothers only!' fans) and they consistently fall flat as a pancake, IMO.

I was excited to see him as a human back in S9; I thought that would be a very interesting and compelling story. Instead, they had him fuck a possessed woman and then grab some other angel's grace so that he could be powered up again. What a waste of potential.

Just de-angel him permanently, stick him in the bunker as a friend/family member/resource (a la Bobby) and boom, problem solved. No boring-ass Heaven/angels "stories" and Cas needn't be in every episode to appease the 'brothers only' fans.

I think the show has done well enough to continue another season, but I'm wondering if Jensen and Jared are interested in doing that.  I don't have anything concrete to point to really, just a few things they've been saying recently about time with family, kids starting to really be aware of their absences, etc.  If they do go one more year, I think that will be it.  

On the other hand, unless they both plan to retire from the business, any other gig is going to take them away from their families.  Not too many tv shows or movies being filmed in Texas, I wouldn't think.

I know nothing of their salaries but would Jared and Jensen even need more work? 11 seasons...surely they must have made decent money? Throw in all the conventions they attend (and can probably continue with even after the show's over) and I can't help but wonder if they ever need to work again...

My only worry with not knowing about their renewal is how it will affect the writing. Will they leave it open-ended and risk no answers for the fans if the show isn't renewed? Or kind of end it (e.g. Hell closes, big bads defeated) but leave themselves with the option of a final season of MOTW cases?

I know nothing of their salaries but would Jared and Jensen even need more work? 11 seasons...surely they must have made decent money? Throw in all the conventions they attend (and can probably continue with even after the show's over) and I can't help but wonder if they ever need to work again...

They don't stay with Supernatural for the money. IMO they stay with the show, because it has been their life even before they got married and had kids.  The show also employs HUNDREDS of people .  I always thought Jared was the one that couldn't let go of the show but I've changed my mind on that. I think Jensen would be lost without working in his chosen industry. He's a director and an actor so I would think he would need that work for his own sanity.  I think Jarpad would take a break from it all once the show is over and then maybe get into producing.  

So yeah I don't see either of them just stepping away from the industry forever. I would be shocked if that happened.

They don't stay with Supernatural for the money. IMO they stay with the show, because it has been their life even before they got married and had kids.  The show also employs HUNDREDS of people .  I always thought Jared was the one that couldn't let go of the show but I've changed my mind on that. I think Jensen would be lost without working in his chosen industry. He's a director and an actor so I would think he would need that work for his own sanity.  I think Jarpad would take a break from it all once the show is over and then maybe get into producing.  

So yeah I don't see either of them just stepping away from the industry forever. I would be shocked if that happened.

I didn't mean to imply that they would retire; I meant to say that they might be in the enviable position of not having to worry about when they'll get another pay cheque. If they wanted, I suspect they could take a break from acting etc. and just enjoy their young kids until they've grown enough to not miss their daddies when they do find work outside of Texas.

I think they get paid well, but I also think there's a lot of cost involved in being actors and a lot of other folks get a piece of that pie--albeit a pretty large pie--so I don't know that they'd be set for life or anything. It all depends on how they've managed their money, I guess?

They have talked a little about it in some of the convention videos, Jared said he probably wouldn't audition for parts, but if he was asked he would consider it.  He has been pretty outspoken about after the show is over spending more time as a husband and a father.  Jensen seemed like he still want's to work. That is what I have interpreted at least.

(edited)

I think they get paid well, but I also think there's a lot of cost involved in being actors and a lot of other folks get a piece of that pie--albeit a pretty large pie--so I don't know that they'd be set for life or anything. It all depends on how they've managed their money, I guess?

I'm actually super curious about that. They have that bodyguard (Clif?)...is he paid by the studio or the actors?

Also, since Jared and Jensen have steady employment, would their agent fees be lower since they likely aren't having to work as hard (shopping around for work for their clients)?

They fly/travel a lot but I suspect that their travel for cons is paid for, and all their round tips between home and Vancouver probably net them significant frequent flyer miles. :D

Hell, didn't Jensen state that they constantly wear clothes from the set? It would certainly explain why you see them wearing the same clothes as each other. They don't even have to buy CLOTHES. ;)

Do they get a discount on their Vancouver accommodations since they have to be there for work? Is it provided by the studio or subsidized in some way?

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 1

Jared already has ownership in a bar in Austin...I suspect that is not the only business ventures they are each involved with. There were rumors about them starting a brewery or a winery too.  They both have homes on the Lake in Austin that must be worth millions of dollars. I wouldn't be surprised if the apartments they have in Vancouver are either provided for them or they at least get a housing allowance.

• Love 1

I would imagine they're both pretty well off at this point.  But normally actors like to act, so I don't see them just walking away and retiring.  Jared did say he would take some time off, but Jensen didn't commit to anything, one way or the other.  But Hollywood is fickle, and there's no guarantee that you'll find other work, or work that is as satisfying as what you have, so I would think that they would stick with SPN as long as the network sticks with them.

• Love 1

I'm sure you're probably right, Demented.  He's making commercials while he's a hot commodity.  Once the show is over and he stays away from the cameras for a bit, these companies will not be soliciting his services.  There'll be a new flavor of the month.  

In my opinion, I think that Jensen could have the best shot at landing another acting gig after SPN is over.  I do find him to be the stronger actor of the two, and he can handle both comedy and drama equally well.  And selfishly, I'd hate for him to hide his pretty face behind the camera!!

• Love 1

http://talk.csifiles.com/threads/tvs-highest-paid-stars-what-they-earn-2014.70132/

$175K per episode back in 2014. I'm pretty sure SAG/ACTRA rules require some annual raise built in.  I'm not sure how often they renegotiate their contracts but the show doesn't exist without those two. And they get the same amount. On everything, including convention stuff.  The ONLY difference at conventions is for those items which are auction bids.  The M&G's in particular.  And Misha gets 2 times what they get per "chair" (he only takes in 10, not 20). Of course Jensen gets money for directing (No less than $40K/episode is Director's Guild pricing for a one hour drama).  

But in terms of show costs, J2 are not the only one who's salary increases.  Look at how all the writers are listed as producers.  That's so they can pay them more than standard writer pay.  So, paychecks do increase as the years go on in a TV show. Plus they added Mark and Misha as regulars. Which guarantees them a certain amount of dollars/episode and a minimum number of episodes they will be paid for (even if they don't appear).  I'm fairly certain that making Misha a regular was likely part of the J2 deal because they simply needed to have fewer hours in the day.  So the pay matters but so does things like number of hours/day they work and time off.  

I'm actually super curious about that. They have that bodyguard (Clif?)...is he paid by the studio or the actors?

I think Clif is paid by the studio to be their driver and paid by J2 personally for his bodyguard duties.  I think it's their call whether they take him someplace (see Fangasm M&G report from NashCon) ... I think a little adult supervision might have benefited Jared that Saturday night as he was still slightly skunked in the morning and claimed to be suffering a bit.  Which was pretty funny to watch the gold panel.  He was talky.... I mean you wouldn't know he'd been drinking if he didn't tell you, but I did notice he was talky.

But back to episode costs. I read an analysis a few years ago, the advertising dollars do NOT cover most of the CW shows.  They are in it for the other revenue sources as well. Mark Pedowitz has made more than enough statements to suggest money would not take Supernatural out of the lineup. I suppose if the ratings tanked and yet somehow the actors didn't sense it was time to quit... he MIGHT suggest it, but I think J2 will pull the plug before the network does.  

As for whether or not they will wrap it up in S11, I think the answer is HIGHLY UNLIKELY.  I suspect there is some agreement that if they need to wrap it up, The network lets them know that with sufficient warning to do so properly.  This is not FOX (who EAT their young).  IF they felt they had to push Supernatural off the line-up, they'd give them a minimum of 13 episode season as a final season. More likely, they would announce the final season at the time they are renewed.  That's how they handled Smallville and frankly, they owe SPN even more.  I had an unintended twitter exchange with Jim Michaels yesterday (and today-ish) and he's pretty confident about S12.  So, I'm not worried at all. 

• Love 1
(edited)

http://tvline.com/2016/03/08/blind-item-drama-series-death-season-finale-spoilers/

Arrow isn’t the only hour-long drama sending a major character to an early grave.

TVLine has learned exclusively that a series currently airing on one of the Big Five broadcast networks (i.e. ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, The CW) is killing off its star in its season finale. I’m told the death will occur toward the end of the episode, which will leave just enough time for an emotional, season-ending cemetery scene in which [redacted] bids an emotional farewell to [redacted].

According to sources, the actor/actress in question has not yet been officially released from his/her contract, which has led some to speculate that the show could be setting up a Buffy-style bait and switch. A well-placed insider, however, maintains, “As it stands now, [redacted] is not returning next season.”

Who knows which show, just thought I would share.

Edited by Diane

The bit that seems to say "not this show," to me is the supposedly leaving enough time for an emotional goodbye in a cemetery part. In my opinion, if it were Sam being killed off, there wouldn't be a cemetery farewell. Dean would give Sam* - if there was a body left after whatever happened - a hunter's funeral. No question about that in my mind. And if there was no body, there would be no need for Dean to put a grave marker in a cemetery. He thought the one for Mary was kind of pointless, so it would be unlikely he'd put an empty grave headstone in the ground for Sam in any known cemetery setting.

So the specific mention of a "cemetery scene" - rather than say a "graveside scene" which might include a funeral pyre - to me, seems to leave out Sam or Castiel... and likely Dean as well. If Sam were crazy enough to bury Dean again rather than give him a hunter's funeral, it would be somewhere private like last time, not in a cemetery.

Just my opinion there, but I think based on show history.

* Or anyone he was close to. Castiel also would get a hunter's funeral.

• Love 2

I don`t think we`re dealing with a "released from contract" situation on SPN. At this point, it keeps getting renewed because the Js renew their contracts. At this point yearly IMO. And for that very reason they would not be let go from a contract. This spells ensemble show in my mind. Maybe something like Grey`s.

I would have guessed NCIS but Michael Weatherly is already announced to be leaving. As for the CW, Arrow teased the gravestone plot already.

http://tvline.com/2016/03/08/blind-item-drama-series-death-season-finale-spoilers/

Arrow isn’t the only hour-long drama sending a major character to an early grave.

TVLine has learned exclusively that a series currently airing on one of the Big Five broadcast networks (i.e. ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, The CW) is killing off its star in its season finale. .

SPN has two leads though, so the use of "ITS star" negates SPN, in my opinion. I also think their spoiler is hilarious because...could it be more vague? I mean, "a series running on one of these five networks..." Hee! :) 

Doesn't even thin the herd by indicating if it's a popular show on the network... :D

• Love 1
(edited)

nless they go back to Stull Cemetery....  You know, full circle, Swan Song redux....

Oh, don't mind me, I'm just stirring the pot.  ;-)

I don't think that's a bad guess at all.  Given all the ties to seasons 4 and 5. I could see one of them jumping back into the pit...or finding some other way via Stull Cemetery to put Lucifer back in hell. Or the entrance to the Empty is through Stull Cemetery.

As to the" ITS star"  if we want to be technical about it, Jared is number 1 on the call sheet. He's technically the lead actor. It's not 1a. and 1b.  Sam could end up jumping into Hell again at Stull Cemetery. 

I know they said they would leave together...but who knows....maybe Jared wants a break and sending Sam into the empty at the end of the season....if they are renewed ...becomes the quest to get Sam out of the Empty.

Not that crazy if you ask me

Edited by catrox14

It is interesting to think about.  I'd be surprised if Jensen continued on without Jared, but I guess anything's possible.  They could ramp up Misha and Mark's roles a bit to pick up the slack for a missing Jared.  He is on record for saying he'd just take time off to be with his kids.  I guess we'll know soon enough.

See, I think if they go that route, it will be the other way around to close out the arc of Sam not looking for Dean in S8.

Hmm.  I suspect Carver wants to avoid revisiting that particular story line.  In any way.  ;-)

• Love 1

Graveyard is a dead (no pun intended) giveaway that it's NOT Supernatural. Plus..would anyone BELIEVE it? Like REMOTELY?  If it's Supernatural it's going to have J2 and Misha (because I'd be surprised if they didn't insist on having other regulars as part of their contract these days... for mental/physical health reasons).

I think it's Beckett on Castle. If not that, then someone whom it's possible that death is the real deal. That takes out most of the shows where the characters earn frequent flyer miles for rising from the dead.

Graveyard is a dead (no pun intended) giveaway that it's NOT Supernatural. 

It doesn't mention a graveyard.

Do I genuinely believe this is about Supernatural?  No.  Do I think it's possible?  Yes.  I know that Jared and Jensen have always said neither will do the show without the other, but things change.  It really sounds like they are not in the same mindset.  

Life really changes when the kids reach school age.  Things you did before -- like taking a vacation at the drop of a hat -- have to be put on hold because nothing is as important as their education.  You want to be there to help when they need it.  You want to go to their sporting events, school plays, dance/music recitals, parent/teacher conferences, etc.

When work interferes with being part of your child's life, you start to resent the work.  But maybe that's just me.  Years ago, I had a job with odd hours.  I wanted to take time to go to my daughter's events, but my boss felt I was the only one who could do the job.  Since it was an hourly position, it was go to work or get fired.  I hate that I waited so long to leave that job but we thought we needed the money.  In retrospect, we could have -- should have! -- eliminated some expenses so I didn't need to work.  But hindsight is 20/20.

I would not be surprised at all if that, plus his mental health issues, led Jared to consider leaving the show, even if only temporarily.

(edited)

I would be fascinated to see where the show would go without Sam. It could go in a completely different direction with the introduction of a new partner for Dean. Or they could just move Cas into the bunker or pull Adam up from hell. Either one could be a replacement for Sam without changing the show much at all. Or they could add a romantic element for Dean, which would really change the original premise. Although, I would hope Sam would be gone for real. A season of Dean searching for Sam doesn't appeal to me at all.

The impact on fandom would also be interesting. Ratings, conventions, social media etc.

ETA: And it's not just the characters, but the possible storylines padalecki's departure could open up. The writers could have their spin-off without technically writing a spin-off because they would be in a position do drop the old formula. They could really explore heaven, they could make Dean a younger, hipper Bobby; teaching the next generation. There are so many directions they could go.

Edited by Bessie
  • Love 1

I don't think there's any chance at all of this coming to fruition but I'd love for Sam to essentially retire from hunting; maybe grab Eileen and settle down. Perhaps he can do research...as long as it still allows him to have a 'normal' life; he and Dean keep in touch and have a healthy brotherly relationship; Dean can scale back on the active hunting and focus on being a teacher/mentor/resource to the next generation (because I don't see Dean removed from hunting completely). Cas can stick around and help on both fronts (training and research)...happy ending for all three.

Heh, yeah right! ;)

• Love 1

Again, I don`t believe it`s SPN but if it was, why is Jared the only candidate? IMO Jensen would be just as likely and there is story potential to write Dean out. I don`t get why it automatically is assumed that it`s Jared. Jensen had said just as much that he wants more family and he isn`t the one gushing over this Season. 

I know the blind item says "the star". And I know it is Samnatural. But the marketing is still close enough to a two-lead show. Like Bones or Castle or something like this where respectively two people are equally considered "the star". Michael Weatherly is also not "the star" of NCIS, that would be Mark Harmon but I`m guessing the phrasing of the blind item isn`t so overly literal to exclude prominent main cast members.

That said, I also exclude him because his exit was announced. He is not renewing his contract so it isn`t a question of being let out. It has to be an actor who has a contract and is in the process of being let out of it. That is why I posited Grey`s (still a million more characters remaining) or recently Shemar Moore on Criminal Minds. Rumour mill says he wants out and I`m not sure if he contracted or not.

• Love 1

Again, I don`t believe it`s SPN but if it was, why is Jared the only candidate? IMO Jensen would be just as likely and there is story potential to write Dean out. I don`t get why it automatically is assumed that it`s Jared. Jensen had said just as much that he wants more family and he isn`t the one gushing over this Season. 

I'm suggesting Jared over Jensen based upon my observations of their words and actions over the past year.

1. Jared cancelling his appearance at a con.
  2. Tweets about his "real job" and spending more time with family.
  3. Other business opportunities he's taking advantage of.
  4. Jared's recent commercials.
  5. Decrease in tweets about episodes/story lines.

Any one of those things, on its own, means almost nothing.  But slap them all on a canvas and a picture is starting to form for me.  

As always, mileage varies.

• Love 1

Official description of Red Meat.

WEREWOLF ATTACK! – Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) battle a pair of werewolves who have captured two victims. Just as the brothers are about to win, one of the werewolves shoots Sam. Dean gets his brother and the victims out of the house but learns a pack of werewolves are hot on their tail, hoping to kill them all. Nina Lopez-Corrado directed the episode written by Robert Berens & Andrew Dabb (#1117). Original airdate 3/30/16

So it seems the trailer we got for Safe House was for more than Safe House, since we saw Sam injured and bleeding in the trailer.

Edited by catrox14

Back to the death speculation.  I'm on the Arrow board and we've been speculating on Laurel Lance's fate...I wonder if this is actually the confirmation of that death. She is the 2nd billed actor after Stephen Amell..

Hmmm.  Off to the Arrow board.

Count me as intrigued by the Red Meat description. First, we've got what appears to be classic MOTW with Sam & Dean & werewolves.  But it's Beren's and Dabb writing.  If it's simply a case of reminding us that MOTW are in fact NOT a "gimme", I'd be okay with that.  But I feel like there's more here.  Just the title "Red Meat"...if this is referring to the horror game "Amnesia"... well, damn.  That's messed up.  I haven't played it but a little google-fu has put me off pork. 

Back to the death speculation.  I'm on the Arrow board and we've been speculating on Laurel Lance's fate...I wonder if this is actually the confirmation of that death. She is the 2nd billed actor after Stephen Amell..

That would make the article fairly redundant, since the first line is:

As to the Red Meat description, werewolves, but probably no mention of Garth or Kate.  Also, a werewolf shoots Sam?  That seems... odd.

Heh. I barely read headlines like that.  Maybe I was just hoping for confirmation that Laurel is going to die and never come back, because I need that in my life. 

Heh. I've just finished season 1 and I was rooting for her to die near the end of it. The S1 finale cemented by hatred of her. Sad to hear that she's still around... :)

• Love 1