Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

Yes, it's mostly PR, but remember that demo numbers are subject to ... inflation? I don't know if that's an apt comparison, but numbers that would have gotten a show canceled (even) in 2009 are decent nowadays. There was less competition, especially from cable networks. If a show keeps its demo (or something relatively close), it's doing well.

It's true and false at the same time. True, beacuse numbers which were a straight way to cancellation when Castle started are a sure bet for renewal now.

And false because ratings are not numbers on a fictional scoreboard, where it's enough to be ahead of the competitors. Ratings means how many people (at least theoretically) watch an ad for which the advertiser pays. No matter how much the channels try to show the opposite and are trying to make their stand, if an ad in a show costed a 100k bucks when it had 3 million viewers in their target group it doesn't worth the same when they have only 2 million.

The biggest mistake what fans made is they forget that the advertisers do not need to advertise on TV - they do it only and until it is more cost effective than the other ways. Previously reaching 2-3 million people at the same time (like eg. with a movie premiere ad) was possible only on TV. Now a YT video or a twitter post can have the same reach. So why would they want to pay the same as before?

But the production costs doesn't decrease with the audience, mainly not proportionally. So even though fans can encourage themselves that "2.0 is the new 3.0", it's not true: 2.0 is the new 2.0. Does anybody think that Castle's cast and crew get 30% less money now than in S3? Or that they can rent the soundstage, the equipment, pay 30% less for the different licences? 

OFF: I wonder for how long the last lifeline of the network channels, the sytem of syndicate airing will survive? I mean in the age of Netflix how long a system of airing repeats on a fixed schedule will remain? 

• Love 1

halaci thanks for the explanation and how they got to that with the +L7.  I don't know enough about the ratings system or follow them that closely but it's always interesting to listen to people who do discuss them. 

(edited)

If Castle does have amnesia, to whatever extent, then it's unlikely they'll show his side of things in opening 2 parter because they'll want to keep what he went through a mystery to the audience.  Which would be a pity, because I was hoping that this supposed deeper exploration of Castle's character in S7 could start with his reaction to his tortuous ordeal, and show his fighting back to be with his family.

I think that's a mistake if they only show things mainly from Beckett's POV, especially given their comments about wanting to showcase more of the Castle character. That's really going to go down well with those already looking for signs that they're serious about doing this yet they get more focus on Beckett instead.  I agree with you that's the perfect time to start it. The show only works for me when I get to see them both working through things when they face trouble. 

Still a bit sceptical about these clues that supposedly exist in the finale that we've surprisingly missed, as per Mr. JML.

I'm more than skeptical I just don't believe him and think he's bullshitting. 6.23 felt like it was a standalone screw up of an episode that they pushed out without giving it any thought. Everyone was tired and wanted the season over with, Veritas had wrapped up Bracken and it was time for some zany "fun" as they knew damn well there was going to be no wedding to plan.

I disagree with those saying it's like a two parter and Marlowe wanted to reveal his master plan in 7.01 and make 6.23 then look stellar because you get the whole picture of what had always been carefully planned. John Lopes and his increasingly tiresome tweets to all and sundry teasing we're missing something and Marlowe is a genius make me eye roll. I don't think I've missed anything because there was nothing there to see in the first place. 

Edited by verdana

halaci thanks for the explanation and how they got to that with the +L7.  I don't know enough about the ratings system or follow them that closely but it's always interesting to listen to people who do discuss them. 

You or anybody are welcome, anytime :)

(edited)

Fred @FredBC77  ·  8h

1st pic!!! #Castle #S7 @MollyQuinn93 and Susan...

https://twitter.com/FredBC77/status/489662399603961857

Guess it belongs in here, Molly and Susan posing with two of the crew, presumably outside near the set.  I see that Molly has her tux on, not too sure about her hair was it like that before and I just didn't notice?

Good to see them both there, another thing that annoyed me about 6.23 was Beckett going to the scene alone and there was no sign of Alexis or Martha, clearly they wanted the focus to be solely on Beckett at that moment but it still felt off to me.  Obviously they're filming right where they left off and hopefully we get to see some Alexis/Martha/Kate interaction at the scene.

Edited by verdana

Gosh, people tracked them down all the way out in the countryside?  I guess people are really dedicated these days.

I hope Alexis & Martha get to be in the heart of things too 'cause Castle really is their nearest and dearest.  I have no doubt SS would kick ass at any scene of shock and grief.  I think Beckett might be inclined towards the numb kind of reaction, with a breakdown later on.  Alexis might get angry.  Since they're going this route, I hope we get some time to let the intense emotional reactions of the characters sink in before they reveal he isn't dead, or maybe, they never believe it to begin with.

Castle never got to see Beckett in her mother's wedding dress.  Sad to think of it.  Maybe he never will if they go with another kind of wedding next time.  The wedding dress isn't that important in the scheme of things, but I hope they get that moment where his eyes light up as he sees her in it for the first time; they both deserve that.

Rewatched FBFW recently, and one of the things that still really bothered me about it was the way they characterised Beckett.  Not just the drunken, forgotten marriage that made Castle no longer be her 'one and done' (ugh), but the way she was written as basically kowtowing to Rogan, the biker gang etc... doing illegal stuff like breaking and entering to meet their demands.  This wasn't the kick ass Beckett I'd known.  She normally wouldn't give the time of day to those degenerates who were threatening her like this. She seemed to have forgotten that she was a cop!  Thanks for nothing, AM/TM! ;)  And I didn't care for how the writers wrote Castle as needling her about her 'husband' endlessly.  Once was too much, but obviously the writers thought it was funny 'cause they did it a few more times. Beckett obviously was irritated by it and more, and Castle should have been more sensitive to that.  I understand that his default position is to joke, but I find AM/TM often get it wrong in terms of the right time and place for it.  One of the reasons I don't trust them to write Castle well, with sensitivity.

I think that's a mistake if they only show things mainly from Beckett's POV, especially given their comments about wanting to showcase more of the Castle character. That's really going to go down well with those already looking for signs that they're serious about doing this yet they get more focus on Beckett instead.  I agree with you that's the perfect time to start it. The show only works for me when I get to see them both working through things when they face trouble.

Agreed.  I think most of the meaty dramatic work is going to come in the 2 parter, and then we might not get anything of substance till midseason, so I'd like to see NF get to do some stuff dramatically.  I thought he delivered that well in Target/Hunt especially, when he actually got some dramatic meat to work with.

• Love 1

I have no idea which thread tweets belong in like this from the cast so I'll stick it in here.

Molly C. Quinn @MollyQuinn93  ·  2h
About Castle script 701...
There r some scripts so good I read them over and over.
Thanks David Amann.
#CastleWritersAreAwesome

I'm determined not to get my hopes up too high that the premiere is going to wash away the foul stench of 6.23 given I've read tweets like this before from the cast about episodes that turned out to be major disappointments. 

Um... we'll see.  Luckily no one in the cast posted similar comments re 623 before airing heh.

I did like Valkyrie a lot more than I did Watershed, but just because the proposal was improved upon and the FBI arc was alright doesn't change my mind about the fact that I think Watershed, and Caskett in the supposed arc leading up to it were poorly written.  I still think it's a great pity that what should have been a joyful, romantic, Castlesque proposal, an epic milestone moment in their relationship was forever ruined at the hands of Marlowe.  You can't take it back.

So maybe I will like 701 more than I did FBFW, and it's likely since AM didn't write it ;) and because you'd think there's nowhere to go but up ;), but that won't change my mind about how poorly conceived FBFW was. 

(edited)

Rewatched FBFW recently, and one of the things that still really bothered me about it was the way they characterised Beckett.  Not just the drunken, forgotten marriage that made Castle no longer be her 'one and done' (ugh), but the way she was written as basically kowtowing to Rogan, the biker gang etc... doing illegal stuff like breaking and entering to meet their demands.  This wasn't the kick ass Beckett I'd known.  She normally wouldn't give the time of day to those degenerates who were threatening her like this. She seemed to have forgotten that she was a cop!  Thanks for nothing, AM/TM! ;)  And I didn't care for how the writers wrote Castle as needling her about her 'husband' endlessly.  Once was too much, but obviously the writers thought it was funny 'cause they did it a few more times. Beckett obviously was irritated by it and more, and Castle should have been more sensitive to that.  I understand that his default position is to joke, but I find AM/TM often get it wrong in terms of the right time and place for it.  One of the reasons I don't trust them to write Castle well, with sensitivity.

Brave of you to re-watch I couldn't face it. I loathed the fact she was so willing to break into that car for that lousy bugger. Getting married shouldn't have turned her brains to mush, she's smart and it was upsetting to see her acting that way, yet more OOC writing by the very people you should least expect if from. And yeah my sense of humour obviously took a vacation during that episode because I don't understand why Castle making constant fun of her over something she clearly wanted to put behind her was endearing.

Why do the writers increasingly want to make Castle out to be an insensitive arse? In the early days he could tease her but it was always done in a way I found genuinely amusing and not offensive but now not so much. I really hope we don't see a return of Castle acting like a douchebag with Beckett (or any one for that matter) when this new mythology or whatever the hell Marlowe and co are planning for Castle kicks in. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

Bringing this from the other thread just in case it's a spoiler.

Cast/crew are back filming at Raleigh today. I know they shoot out of order so I was a little surprised they filmed the pick up scene after the finale scene first. Perhaps get it out of the way before [more] fans find the location where their filming? lol. Shoot those scenes and film everything else in studio and/or on a studio back lot.

Wondering when Nathan will be back on set .. or is he already? I.E: today? Hmmmmm?

Nathan was back on set today.
(edited)

Oh was he? They shot in studio so who leaked it? lol.

Spoiler Pics

The limo was used to transport Beckett and Martha back to the house to change

No one leaked it... but in terms of chances he was (aka studio as opposed to location - even if it was for a photoshoot) I'll take the 90%+ category thanks!

Going by Andy B's tweet looks like Jeannot will be back to direct (maybe episode two or three?).

http://twitter.com/AndrewBikichky/status/489848857862234112

“@Chouquette333: Andy , can we hope the return of Jeannot Szwarc to the realization of a new episode ?:)

Edited by Nadine

But the problem with advertising is something that all shows across the board are going to have to deal with. Which means, the game is still the same, but the numbers are lower. What ultimately is going to happen is either that TV is going to have to find a new source of revenue (because other mediums, like Netflix, internet, and TiVo are going to take away the value of a advertisement) or they're going to have to find ways to lower production costs. Or they could use a different yardstick - ie. not the 18-34 demo - to value shows on. (Shows have even tried experimenting with product placement as a revenue source; even Castle tried when they tried to show closeups of Castle using a Windows phone in late S3, but the problem with that is it's often blatant and rather annoying, which could turn off viewers, which is exactly what they don't want.)

Anyway, the ratings struggle is not something unique to Castle. The numbers are lower and the numbers are lower across the board and Castle is still a workhorse, despite the lower numbers and that's really all ABC is worried about at this point. It's been dependable, which is a lot more than they can say about a lot of their other shows.

Castle's ratings aren't all sunshine and day at the beach. It's more like ... partly sunny and enough to comfortably go outside, so ABC is content to live with it.

• Love 2

The thing about the 18-34 that makes them so valuable is not their incomes, but they are forming lifetime habits. DD got her first credit card as part of her freshman package at university. No income, huge debt, but she was going to have a good income when she graduated (she fooled them there, ha!) and would be loyal to that bank.

The late twenties and early thirties are broke too, because they are forming families and buying homes.

My own demographic (first year Boomer) may have much more money and income, but we are not spending and we are not forming new brand loyalties. Heck, there's a rotary dial phone in my rec room. So we are much less valuable to the advertisers.

We are not the consumer for Castle. We are the product being sold to the advertisers on Castle.

Thanks Nadine. I would have thought they would want to get it out the way knowing that fans might turn up looking to get a scoop. Although I think they'd probably let certain things come out just to generate some excitement after the lukewarm reaction to the finale, just like last season. 

(edited)

But the problem with advertising is something that all shows across the board are going to have to deal with. Which means, the game is still the same, but the numbers are lower. What ultimately is going to happen is either that TV is going to have to find a new source of revenue (because other mediums, like Netflix, internet, and TiVo are going to take away the value of a advertisement) or they're going to have to find ways to lower production costs. 

Just because a problem is across the board it doesn't make it smaller to one particular show. IRL example: just because your neghbour can't pay their bills either, it won't make your life easier. Finding new income sources and reducing the production costs are not an either/or question, they need to do both. Yes, product placement is often very clumsy (I remember that White Collar's last season sometime seemed as a badly written Ford catalogue), but it's one of the easiest way. (And from an outsider POV those aren't clumsier than breaking the story at every 8-10 minutes to show lipsticks or toothpastes in the middle of a thriller.) Channels don't keep the shows with low ratings because they are satisfied - they keep the least bad ones because they need to air programs, regardless how much money they lose on one show.

Or they could use a different yardstick - ie. not the 18-34 demo - to value shows on.

The thing about the 18-34 that makes them so valuable is not their incomes, but they are forming lifetime habits.

We are not the consumer for Castle. We are the product being sold to the advertisers on Castle.

The score is at femmefan1946. 18-34 or 18-49 aren't picked by the channels, those are picked by the advertisers. They watch those age groups because they are whose decision making on buying can be affected by TV ads.

And the other side of this coin is even more important than this. If I had as much dollars as many times I have read the complaint that "why do they neglect the older ones, they have money and spend it", I could have my own TV channel. The problem with the older age groups isn't that they don't spend - the problem is that the preferences on which they decide are usually can not be changed by TV ads. So using this kind of advertising to them is a waste of money.

The icing on the cake is that older people have not only preferences, but usually have very strong dispreferences as well, and TV ads are simply not able to deal with those. Somebody who is convinced that "A" car brand is a shit (because he had once and it broke down often) and "B" is a good one (because he uses the third car from them and is satisfied), he won't change his mind because of an ad.

Edited by halaciHU
(edited)

Thanks Nadine. I would have thought they would want to get it out the way knowing that fans might turn up looking to get a scoop. Although I think they'd probably let certain things come out just to generate some excitement after the lukewarm reaction to the finale, just like last season.

Agree with you there. It'll be interesting to see how much exactly is leaked in terms of BTS pics, over the two parter. Edited by Nadine

"TVLine has learned exclusively that Ryan Sands, best known for his portrayal of Officer Lloyd “Truck” Garrick on The Wire, has been tapped to guest-star in the ABC drama’s Season 7 premiere. He’ll play Tagger, a Hamptons police sergeant who helps Beckett investigate the most difficult case of her career (presumably, Who the hell ran Rick off the road?)."

(edited)

They can't have Beckett investigating the case for crying out loud, that's for the Hamptons PD. If they have her calling the shots during the investigation I'll eye roll. 

And what's happened to Chief Brady? I kind of liked the guy thought he was funny, pity they couldn't get him back it would have been a great bit of continuity. 

Edited by verdana

I wouldnt even mind Beckett being the sole investigator, after all the show is one big eye roll fest regarding police procedure, starting with Beckett and Castle. And it only gets worse with every public announcement they make, engagement, wedding...

I have to say I like what I have learned about Season 7 so far... apart from a few emotive terms in the Amann/Marlowe which have been already pointed out in another thread.

(edited)

Just because a problem is across the board it doesn't make it smaller to one particular show. IRL example: just because your neghbour can't pay their bills either, it won't make your life easier. Finding new income sources and reducing the production costs are not an either/or question, they need to do both.

No it doesn't make it smaller. But to continue with your example, in this case it's not

only my neighbour but the whole town, and a few other rivaling cities. Meaning there is some power behind and it becomes the mayors task to solve the problem for the citizens because otherwise only a ghosttown is left.

And I'm not sure about the advertisers. Only because my real wage declines yearly, I don't stop buying the things I like unless I find a cheaper and as satisfying alternative.

BTW...I'm not good with analogies :-)

Edited by Sonik Tooth

Marlowe is writing 7x02 .. per TVLine.com

And what's happened to Chief Brady? I kind of liked the guy thought he was funny, pity they couldn't get him back it would have been a great bit of continuity.

Would have been nice continuity but, in this case, I'm not mad. Brady played the comic relief role. The fum bumbling small town cop who couldn't find his own as w. a map and flashlight. Couldn't take him seriously and this, from all accounts, is a serious episode. Better to bring in another investigator. 

(edited)

Got any Castle scoop? Like, guest cast or who’s writing 7×02? –Sandra

On the casting front, you probably have seen this fresh bit of scoop. As for the writer of Episode 2, which involves the murder of a toy mogul, that’d be a gentleman named Andrew W. Marlowe. (IOW, the premiere isn’t a two-parter per se.)

Greetings from Germany! You talked to Castle‘s Andrew Marlowe and David Amann. Soooo, is there anything else they shared about the new season in their interview? –Mandy

Greetings from America! Your new showrunner Amann teased “a really fun episode,” somewhere in the first four of the season, “that deals with what seems to be an invisible killer — and the characters take a lot of pleasure in that.” TVLine

Ok so now it's not a two-parter anymore ? The season hasn't even started yet and they already don't have their facts straight ? Or am I just missing something ?

Really fun episode .... yeah I guess my motto will be: wait and see this season.

MattMitovich

@TotallyCastle I made an assumption, and I was "slightly" off the mark. But it's not NOT a two-parter....

Yeah whatever.....

Edited by cappuccino

No it doesn't make it smaller. But to continue with your example, in this case it's not

only my neighbour but the whole town, and a few other rivaling cities. Meaning there is some power behind and it becomes the mayors task to solve the problem for the citizens because otherwise only a ghosttown is left.

And I'm not sure about the advertisers. Only because my real wage declines yearly, I don't stop buying the things I like unless I find a cheaper and as satisfying alternative.

BTW...I'm not good with analogies :-)

to the first part: nobody denies that the financial/production structure of the network TVs is in a deep crisis. That's the core of the problem. FOX's chairman told sometime in the winter (if I remember well), that they quit doing pilot seasons, spendig millions to pilots which they know from the beginning, they won't order. Everybody tries to avoid to be the only citizen in a ghosttown. But life sucks and these things happens.

A good 20 years ago if somebody needed a four page colour leaflet, the process from the visual idea till the printing machine required about a dozen skilled participants, special (and very expensive) equipments, office spaces, etc. Now it is usually done by one person at home in their armchair, the equipment is at the fracture of cost and those people (and their expertise) needs no longer to anybody. The unions of the printing industry workers in the UK looked as strong as the different writers' and actors' guilds now but in a few years time (during wich they fought heavy fights to keep their privileges) they were completely defeated. The power behind this is the progress and no matter how hard the channel executives try to push the genie back into the bottle, they can't stop the internet, the streaming, the on demand viewing and all the other changes which undermine the old structure.

I don't really understand what did you want to say in the second part, regarding the advertisers. The fact is, that no advertiser buys screentime right in Castle or in any other show. (Some big events, like the Superbowl are exceptions.) Big media agencies buy the advertising times in bulk (say 10 minutes in every primetime hour on each of the Big4) and if a company wants to make a campaign, they specify their target group and their budget, then the advertising agencies try to allocate the money to achieve the highest possible reach. Nothing is black and white, personal relationships, routine, etc. plays here as well, but in the end of the day the agency will book the times where they can get the highest number of viewers for their budget. They don't care whether it's on ABC or NBC, that it's a thriller or a sitcom until the demography fits.

(edited)

Marlowe writing 7.02 and now we're not even sure if it's really a two parter? *shrug*

By the sounds of it then Castle and Beckett will be reunited very quickly and we will be back to ordinary cases by 7.02, guess they've realised that after the no show on the wedding they couldn't afford to piss of the fans any more than they have done with a long dragged out reunion. Then we will be left with the question of who could have done it but the writers are safe in the knowledge that they can drop it as fans have Caskett back working together which is what most want to see.

Greetings from America! Your new showrunner Amann teased “a really fun episode,” somewhere in the first four of the season, “that deals with what seems to be an invisible killer — and the characters take a lot of pleasure in that.” TVLine

So Amman has assumed Marlowe's mantle with aplomb and is quickly learning his catchphrases "really fun" dear God that could mean anything but fun. And the case again sounds gimmicky as hell, at that stage I'm willing to bet Castle has already forgotten whatever terrible trauma he may have suffered in 7.01.

Edited by verdana
I'm reading here is that Castle just doesn't remember what happened in the last two months.

So there will be a time jump? Hmmm? So Castle will forget the havoc leading up to the wedding? Oh how we all wish we could forget that shit. Castle, you lucky son of a bitch. lol. 

Lol agree Samantha!

What I have surmised from the info I had and the stuff I'm reading here is that Castle just doesn't remember what happened in the last two months. I'm guessing who messed with their wedding will be the new mythology Marlowe was talking about.

Also would like to add that a mob guy is involved. I think it's Vinny the guy from Murder He Wrote. But I can't exactly remember. Pretty sure it's him though.

The Vinny thing makes sense with the Hamptons, etc.

They can't have Beckett investigating the case for crying out loud, that's for the Hamptons PD. If they have her calling the shots during the investigation I'll eye roll.

Well she definitely wouldn't officially call the shots, but there's no way in hell Beckett would just sit back and let Hamptons PD investigate without her.  If they barred her, she'd just look into things on her own and probably keep running into them, so I can see how they might end up letting her have some involvement.  Totally unrealistic IRL, but reasonable for the show.

An invisibly killer and a toy mogul in the first four episodes? So, yeah, after they find Castle I guess things go back to normal (until sweeps).  Which I guess is good for the show, but it makes the whole thing kind of a waste. But I guess it gives Marlowe and Amman a new dramatic "go-to" for their big episodes.

Well she definitely wouldn't officially call the shots, but there's no way in hell Beckett would just sit back and let Hamptons PD investigate without her.  If they barred her, she'd just look into things on her own and probably keep running into them, so I can see how they might end up letting her have some involvement.  Totally unrealistic IRL, but reasonable for the show.

However unrealistic it may be, preventing Beckett from being involved would probably make for a real drag -- watch Beckett shuffle papers and fume; watch Beckett make phone calls; watch Beckett stare morosely unfocussed into the distance; watch Beckett deal with her second messed-up wedding dress. I think not. I'd far rather watch Beckett unrealistically run down leads and clash with authorities, and all the rest of the regulars assisting or impeding (with Gates possibly assisting).

• Love 1

I should have clarified my earlier statement I wasn't thinking she shouldn't investigate at all because we know what happens when she gets told she can't do something in these circumstances but I hope they do give some token nod to realism and her position. She can be a drafted into liaise or act as a consultant after Gates calls in a favour or something but I don't want to see Beckett in charge as if the Hamptons have suddenly come under New York police jurisdiction and there are no restrictions to what she does. 

An invisibly killer and a toy mogul in the first four episodes? So, yeah, after they find Castle I guess things go back to normal (until sweeps).  Which I guess is good for the show, but it makes the whole thing kind of a waste. But I guess it gives Marlowe and Amman a new dramatic "go-to" for their big episodes.

That's exactly how I thought they would handle it, lets kick start the "new mythology" leaving fans guessing who could be behind it but Castle is rescued very quickly. But then they drop it completely certainly by 7.03 and it's business as usual, they can then dip into it much later on in the season which is totally how Marlowe handles what few major story arcs he's had. Yeah I agree it all sounds a bit of a waste. I think the way Matt mentions 7.02 and the fact Marlowe has chosen to write it means that there might be (for once) some emotional continuity for the characters and what's happened in the premiere is mentioned again as they are still dealing with stuff but it will happen alongside an ordinary COTW.  

The Vinny thing makes sense with the Hamptons, etc.

Whoever is involved it really has to be someone we've already seen or at the very east have heard mentioned not some new villain that comes plain out of nowhere to mess with them. 

(edited)

Well at last she's remembered to wear her ring that staves off the complaints there were surely going to get if she couldn't be bothered to wear it at this stage with her beloved gone awol.

Okay here is what I don't get about that picture, if Castle is the on the murder board then presumably they think he's dead? But if they had found a charred body they would be able to ascertain pretty quickly that it's not him from dental records and if there's no body then there is no victim, it's just a missing guy.  

I agree if it turns out to be Vinnie or connected with him I think I'll have a giggle. He came over as you typical cartoonish mob boss, even the name's bad enough he hardly gave me the chills. 

Edited by verdana
(edited)
Okay here is what I don't get about that picture, if Castle is the on the murder board then presumably they think he's dead?

Not necessarily.  They used a murder board when Alexis was kidnapped even though they knew she wasn't dead.  The board's used just to gather facts and brainstorm. 

Edited by rspad

The slapping - even once would be too much for me but yeah may be it's a guy thing. I hope the deleted scene is worth it too,

Yeah, the slapping kind of sealed it for me that Nathan is one of THOSE people...you know, the people in high positions who likes to do "funny things" to underlings but don't want the same done to them.   I don't think it was well received by a lot of people, which is why, much later, Nathan came out with a video with someone (can't remember who) slapping him.  It was one of those too little too late moments.

This tasing thing was awful too.  I don't care why it was done and really the whole, "if I can get lots of people to follow you, then I'll tase you thing"  feels a little like a lynch mob to me.  It could have hurt the guy.  Fillion is severely maturity stunted, needs to grow up.  I do not think he's very nice at all.

It ALL would have been much better received if it was mutual.....but when it's "see, look at me hurting this person for a laugh".....welll, that's the kind of thing that bullies do.  What a jerk.

• Love 1

I don't think it's fair to assume that none of it was mutual, or to call someone a bully or a jerk when we don't know the context or the relationship of the people involved. 

From what I recall, Jon & Nathan had some fun making videos on twitter with the theme of Nathan trying to get the better of Jon at something only to be bested instead so he seems just as happy to be laughed at himself as to laugh at others. And I doubt the slapping thing would have been been included in the bloopers if it was part of bullying behaviour.  The tasing thing was well-milked by the 'victim' on twitter and he didn't come across as not willingly being part of the joke, though obviously YMMV on whether the joke was funny.

By all accounts, NF seems to be a well-liked and well respected guy in the industry, and to have good relationships with people he's worked with.   Guest cast have only had nice things to say about him and the rest of the cast, and he sets the tone as the lead on the call sheet.  Obviously, I don't know him, but I don't think he would have that reputation if he was such a terrible person.  I may not get his sense of humour all the time, but humour can be a very subjective thing.

• Love 6

"Really fun" has just about become the least enticing way to sell a Castle episode.  Perhaps creative energies are being conserved elsewhere. ;) One can only hope.

Not too keen on AM writing 7.02 as it likely means he'll be writing the reunion scene.  If we had to suffer through the plot that he gave us in FBFW, he damn well better give us a brilliant reunion scene.  But alas, his track record hasn't been that great when it comes to romantic, emotional payoff scenes  (with the exception of Always). It's usually too passionless, too short, strikes an emotional off note, and it's quickly onto the next bit of exposition.  Let's hope he proves me wrong.  After all the melodrama in FBFW, we deserve a reunion scene befitting of the dramatics.  Though I don't need to see Castle walking alive out of the flames lol.

If Castle has amnesia, but only for the period of his disappearance, then I'm not sure that would make for a particularly compelling storyline.  Especially if they're only interested in exploring the whodunit 'mythology', which will be forgotten (ha ;)) after Castle comes back until they take another 'bite' of the mythology as AM likes to put it ;)  Complete with Castle getting cheesy headaches and sudden flashbacks of himself locked in a dark room.  But what does it all mean?! ;)

The only way I would find an amnesia storyline compelling, maybe, is if they focused on Castle's emotional journey as he struggles to find himself, and his footing in his relationships again.  But if he's quickly back to having fun investigating toy moguls and invisible killers, then that really puts a kibosh on a more sober meaningful emotional journey from his ordeal.  And if amnesia doesn't change anything in his relationship with Beckett, then the whole kidnapped plot doesn't generate new ground to explore with Caskett, and I don't see why it was storytelling that had to happen before their wedding, or why it would make them delay the wedding any longer.

Again, let's see if this is a rehash of the dull way AM handled the 'secrets' storyline in S4 and the 'secret relationship' storyline S5 when he tackled them in just about the least interesting way possible, failing to tap into much of the dramatic potential.

The only way the toy mogul COTW could sound any less boring is if it were a sex toy mogul lol, but it's AM so never going to happen.

I didn't particularly care for the Vinnie scene in the Hamptons episode because it irked me how they wrote Castle as not paying attention to Beckett (her cooking skills) when he's always been characterised as a very astute observer of her (and people, in general).  I found it hard to believe that Castle wouldn't know Beckett was a good cook after all their years of partnership, not to mention romantic relationship at that point.  Sometimes it seems like Castle was written as closely observing Beckett before they got together, to the point of anticipating her wants and needs, and that was an attractive quality of his.  But after they became a couple, the writers have more often than not written him as clueless about her.  To generate drama and misunderstandings because they don't know how to do it otherwise?  

I found it hard to believe that Castle wouldn't know Beckett was a good cook after all their years of partnership, not to mention romantic relationship at that point.

I thought that was just a vague callback to the idea that Beckett couldn't cook reference in "Tick Tick Tick" (when Castle says all that's in her fridge is a styrofoam temple and expired bacon). That line has lead to a pretty large fan assumption that Beckett can't cook, at least. (I always just assumed that line was a reference to her not having the time or desire to cook all the time, because she was busy solving crimes. I mean, she cooked Castle a giant breakfast the next episode, for goodness sake.) But yeah, it's just another detail that the writers forgot.

It's not been confirmed that Castle's disappearance has anything to do with Vinnie, though, has it? They seemed to be on pretty good terms in MHW (except when Castle was not-so-subtly accusing him of murder), so it's doubtful to me that all of a sudden the guy would want Castle dead. Actually, I'm okay with no one from MHW showing up in the premiere. There has to be more people in the Hamptons than the handful of people we saw. And I liked Chief Brady, but him handling a public, rather high profile case of maybe-murder ... I think even he would know he needs help (heck, he admitted to Beckett and Castle he needed help the last time). If he shows up (and I know he won't), I'd rather it be for support because he likes Castle and Beckett than because he's running the investigation.

Terence Winter is writing 7.05 supposedly according to one blog but there was no link provided, I don't know if that's already been mentioned or not, I thought we only knew the writers up to 7.04. Winter is my favourite writer and No 1 Fan for me was the best episode of S6.

It ALL would have been much better received if it was mutual.....but when it's "see, look at me hurting this person for a laugh".....welll, that's the kind of thing that bullies do.  What a jerk.

But it's actually not like that. Like MadMaverick said, the Josh guy was all over this tasing episode for several days, it got him way more than a thousand followers and he livetweeted his episode of some show getting much more Twitter traction than if NF would have simply asked his followers to follow Josh. I'm pretty sure if it wasn't his own idea, it was a mutual plan and from PR side it was just right. It's just really hard to imagine NF going around Hollywood tazing unwilling people and still managing to be talked about as the nicest guy. Sure H-wood is fake but not self-destructively fake I think.

I also don't understand how Jon and Seamus can be seen as "underlings", they're not in the army and NF is not some legendary Emmy/Oscar winning industry vet that no one can say "no" to. Or may be you mean he uses his phisical size against fragile vegan Seamus and poor shy ex-marine Jon lol, only if we believe their little videos it always somehow turns against him, leaving NF a fool and JH a cool guy. I really can't see how a bullying dynamic in their relationship could manifest like that.

Guess if celebrities want to be liked above all else, they should just stop showing any personality, I often notice that the blander you are the more respect you get from some circles. People may not have much to say about you, but what they can say is usually good because blandness is convenient for projecting our own likes and values.

• Love 3

Maybe Nathan Fillion got slap happy from Neil Patrick Harris. Both were in Dr. Horrible and a long-running gag on How I Met Your Mother was the slap bet, with a series of slaps given without warning. Of course, NPH's Barney got a few.

Or maybe it's just something guys go for.

But if neither party objects, and it's all in fun, well - I don't see the issue. And I personally can't ascribe the "bully" label to anyone without knowing the facts. As was said, NF has the reputation of one of the nicest guys in the biz from all he comes into contact with. So it doesn't sound like he's some big douche.

• Love 1