Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

ITA. I will also add that if this situation was flipped and it was Stana and her loyal fanbase they were trying to push a new show off I would be equally annoyed.

Yes, I don't rate Fillion but Castle works best when he and Stana are together, and if only one of them is there it would be just like any other run of the mill cop/P.I. show at best, with the Castle version probably more of a comedy and the Beckett version probably more dramatic. Castle working with the 12th and the chemistry the two leads generated is what raised the show above the pack.

• Love 2

Sigh.

Would they really describe Stana as "the star?" Or say she had to be released from her contract? I'm holding on to that.

Well we keep getting reminded who is No1 on the Call Sheet so she doesn't quite meet the criteria of "its star", and she also doesn't need to be released from her contract, does she, because as far as anyone knew she'd only signed on for S8. So if Ausiellos's choice of words is accurate it doesn't quite point to Castle.

(edited)

I think all roads lead to Beckett in that blind item especially the part

"I’m told the death will occur toward the end of the episode, which will leave just enough time for an emotional, season-ending cemetery scene in which [redacted] bids an emotional farewell to [redacted]."

Total bummer.

I think he has chosen his words very deliberately when mentioning the contract stuff just to cloud things a little.

Also are we to assume that Castle is returning next season then?? Double bummer!

Edited by BellyLaughter
(edited)

I feel a little hypocritical weighing in since I quit watching after s8e2 but I think I would be okay with them killing off Beckett in advance of a season 9.  As much as I like "Caskett", I wanted to see Hart to Hart or Nick and Nora (Thin Man) after they got married, not the mess they currently have.

A writer and his muse... well, Beckett doesn't have to be alive to be his muse.  Maybe this could be the thing that makes Castle a serious writer?  Or solving the COTW, the only thing that gets him out of his depression about losing her?  And since Castle killed off Derek Storm, there would be a weird symmetry with Nikki Heat's inspiration. It would also bond Castle with Beckett's team, if they wanted to keep the precinct as part of the show. 

I don't know.  I can see why fans of SK would hate it but I'd give it a chance.  I might even have to start watching again to see if they are dropping anvils.

ETA:  I'd give them bonus points if they faked Kate's death to put her in witness protection. That way she isn't really dead but their marriage would have to be, to keep her alive. 

Edited by tessaray
  • Love 1

Someone pointed out that Castle went from a "Could go either way" show to a "Safe bet" show on TVLines renewal card about the same time that blind item was posted.....I know lots of Castle fans are ruling out Castle for various reasons but I don't trust Ausiello to be really 100% on his Castle info as he has NEVER championed the show or shown interest. He may have simply assumed Stana and Nathan are under contract without checking.

The timing of the change in that list can't be ignored.

Someone pointed out that Castle went from a "Could go either way" show to a "Safe bet" show on TVLines renewal card about the same time that blind item was posted.....I know lots of Castle fans are ruling out Castle for various reasons but I don't trust Ausiello to be really 100% on his Castle info as he has NEVER championed the show or shown interest. He may have simply assumed Stana and Nathan are under contract without checking.

I don't necessarily agree about Ausiello's lack of interest in Castle since TVLine is essentially his site. And let us remember he did have another blind item - the split - that turned out to be true.

Not saying this BI is Castle related, but there has been a lot of press over there.

I don't necessarily agree about Ausiello's lack of interest in Castle since TVLine is essentially his site. And let us remember he did have another blind item - the split - that turned out to be true.

Not saying this BI is Castle related, but there has been a lot of press over there.

I guess it is true that Castle gets press but it seems to come more from Matt Mittovich than Ausiello. I did notice Matt has taken to mild mocking in his reviews and comments these days....

Has it really come to this - mocking and blind items.....

And remember the summer blind item that couldn't possibly be Castle.....

Yep I'm nervous.

Remember that everyone thought the blind item last fall (about a "co-lead" dying or almost dying in the fall finale) was about Beckett too.

I heard that 

Once Upon a Time

is already filming their season finale and filmed in a cemetery yesterday. So it could be someone on that show.

Yeah, but last week there was that Deadline article about how ABC was negotiating with Nathan so that could be an influence the change as well. Maybe they have a similar source and got the same story.

These articles are all depressing me....I shouldn't care about a TV show, but the idea of killing off Beckett is just awful to me.

I guess it is true that Castle gets press but it seems to come more from Matt Mittovich than Ausiello. I did notice Matt has taken to mild mocking in his reviews and comments these days....

Has it really come to this - mocking and blind items.....

And remember the summer blind item that couldn't possibly be Castle.....

Yep I'm nervous.

I guess most of us can't believe it's Beckett because of the impact we imagine it ought to have on Castle and the show going forward, however most of us couldn't believe that the new showrunners would be dumb enough to split them up, so who knows what a "fun" future they might have in mind for a Beckettless S9.

• Love 4

Remember that everyone thought the blind item last fall (about a "co-lead" dying or almost dying in the fall finale) was about Beckett too.

I heard that 

Once Upon a Time

is already filming their season finale and filmed in a cemetery yesterday. So it could be someone on that show.

Yeah, but last week there was that Deadline article about how ABC was negotiating with Nathan so that could be an influence the change as well. Maybe they have a similar source and got the same story.

These articles are all depressing me....I shouldn't care about a TV show, but the idea of killing off Beckett is just awful to me.

You're not alone.  To kill Beckett off would take so much away from the story.  I guess it's totally naive to watch a TV show hoping that the story can play itself out to a satisfying conclusion (too many moving parts I guess) but for so long Castle seemed like a show that could do that.  It felt like a nice little safe corner of TV land that one could escape to each week.  How stupid of me to think that my safe little show would be immune to the cutthroat business decisions of Hollywood because that is exactly what killing Beckett off would be - a cutthroat business decision of a desperate network.  

Lesson learned I guess.

• Love 4

I heard that 

Once Upon a Time

When Ausiello posted an article about an interview Stana gave on Jul 27 he said this "In a new interview with our sister site Deadline," so there is evidence that TV Line shares info.

You're not alone.  To kill Beckett off would take so much away from the story.  I guess it's totally naive to watch a TV show hoping that the story can play itself out to a satisfying conclusion (too many moving parts I guess) but for so long Castle seemed like a show that could do that.  It felt like a nice little safe corner of TV land that one could escape to each week.  How stupid of me to think that my safe little show would be immune to the cutthroat business decisions of Hollywood because that is exactly what killing Beckett off would be - a cutthroat business decision of a desperate network.  

Lesson learned I guess.

Well I'm not sure how much store we can put in anything the showrunners say at this point after so many other comments have proven fruitless but on Mar 4 Hawley told EW

When will Castle tell us more about LokSat? — Murphy

The show will “touch on it again a couple of times driving toward what’s going to be the finale,” says EP Alexi Hawley, who promises both a reveal and some frustration in the season-ender — especially if the show doesn’t get renewed. “Our hope is to get to a place where they do get to confront LokSat and get something satisfying,” he adds. “It would be great to have something of a cliffhanger.”

As his idea of "fun" often seems at variance with most people's definition I'm not sure we can take too much comfort with his use of "satisfying" in this context, as it could easily mean Beckett dying with the knowledge that she has taken down Loksnore once and for all, although that wouldn't seem to go with his plans for a cliffhanger, unless the cliffhanger could be the unknown as to whether Beckett survives, which depends on Stana re-signing. But we've already been down that road, however Hawley seems to have relished in revisting several episodes from earlier seasons so this could just be the icing on the cake. But the Blind Item says there is a funeral so that would seem to discount Beckett featuring in the cliffhanger.

Well I'm not sure how much store we can put in anything the showrunners say at this point after so many other comments have proven fruitless but on Mar 4 Hawley told EW

When will Castle tell us more about LokSat? — Murphy

The show will “touch on it again a couple of times driving toward what’s going to be the finale,” says EP Alexi Hawley, who promises both a reveal and some frustration in the season-ender — especially if the show doesn’t get renewed. “Our hope is to get to a place where they do get to confront LokSat and get something satisfying,” he adds. “It would be great to have something of a cliffhanger.”

As his idea of "fun" often seems at variance with most people's definition I'm not sure we can take too much comfort with his use of "satisfying" in this context, as it could easily mean Beckett dying with the knowledge that she has taken down Loksnore once and for all, although that wouldn't seem to go with his plans for a cliffhanger, unless the cliffhanger could be the unknown as to whether Beckett survives, which depends on Stana re-signing. But we've already been down that road, however Hawley seems to have relished in revisting several episodes from earlier seasons so this could just be the icing on the cake. But the Blind Item says there is a funeral so that would seem to discount Beckett featuring in the cliffhanger.

I guess all that is on the table but as I personally feel we have been condescended to all season long by Hawley I can't help but second guess every word that comes out of his mouth as you also hinted.  TBH I am not really convinced he would be ultimately calling the shots on such important decisions regarding continuing the show sans Beckett.  He may just have to do as he is told - which is sort of ironic if you think about it!

Do things in TV land turn on a dime?  I wouldn't be surprised if things have suddenly changed from when he did that interview.

For me, killing Beckett would be on par with the horrible, horrible HIMYM series finale. I would sell my Castle DVDs and never watch another episode, new or a repeat, again.

Yep my iTunes would have a very different look/feel to it if it happens!! 

The details for the Break Up Blind Item were a little vaguer but there was nothing that would have discounted Castle, unlike the hints he's given for this one

I’ve learned that a hit series will throw caution to the wind and put a (possibly permanent!) pin in one of TV’s most popular love stories — a game-changing move that threatens to seismically alter the DNA of the series.

Oh, and it will also piss off a lot of people, a backlash The Powers That Be are said to be fully prepared for and not necessarily all that fearful of; the aging series could benefit from having its core rocked, many believe.

OK, now for a few hints:

♦ The fandom-shattering split (which was first teased in Ask Ausiello) is slated to air in early fall.

♦ The show in question airs on one of the Big 5 broadcast network.

♦ It’s a one-hour drama.

I'm not sure what would be the benefit that "many believed" would accrue from the break up, it certainly hasn't resulted in a leap in the ratings.

with the horrible, horrible HIMYM series finale

Oh, God, that was horrible. And I did get rid of my DVDs of that show. That's how bad it was.

And now back to our regularly-scheduled program!

The details for the Break Up Blind Item were a little vaguer but there was nothing that would have discounted Castle, unlike the hints he's given for this one

I’ve learned that a hit series will throw caution to the wind and put a (possibly permanent!) pin in one of TV’s most popular love stories — a game-changing move that threatens to seismically alter the DNA of the series.

Oh, and it will also piss off a lot of people, a backlash The Powers That Be are said to be fully prepared for and not necessarily all that fearful of; the aging series could benefit from having its core rocked, many believe.

OK, now for a few hints:

♦ The fandom-shattering split (which was first teased in Ask Ausiello) is slated to air in early fall.

♦ The show in question airs on one of the Big 5 broadcast network.

♦ It’s a one-hour drama.

I'm not sure what would be the benefit that "many believed" would accrue from the break up, it certainly hasn't resulted in a leap in the ratings.

And by changing the DNA of the series its merely turned Castle into a 3 legged beast that people opening laugh at and mock......yep, genius idea TPTB!

• Love 1

Twittle Dee and Twittle Dumber AKA Winters and Hawley have been quiet since PA got the boot so perhaps they are not as secure as they once thought.  Seamus mentioned earlier in interviews before Allen left that it was good that the Studio was invested in the show's future, not said much since.  IMO if KB is the UNLIKELY subject of that post, Andrew Marlowe better write another Air Force Once since the money will dry up fast for this show.  I watch now and wonder how hard they worked to frack it up, or were they that stupid all along and Marlowe kept them in line.  Still curious as to Hanning not getting the job, listed as Co-Executive Producer long before Winter was and Hawley is a Brilliant Writer, but puts on his stupid clothes when becoming a Show Ruiner. Not all writers can run the whole show, as Castle PAINFULLY as experienced.  Betting if there is a S 9 one or both of the Bobsey Boys is GONE

I feel a little hypocritical weighing in since I quit watching after s8e2 but I think I would be okay with them killing off Beckett in advance of a season 9.  As much as I like "Caskett", I wanted to see Hart to Hart or Nick and Nora (Thin Man) after they got married, not the mess they currently have.

A writer and his muse... well, Beckett doesn't have to be alive to be his muse.  Maybe this could be the thing that makes Castle a serious writer?  Or solving the COTW, the only thing that gets him out of his depression about losing her?  And since Castle killed off Derek Storm, there would be a weird symmetry with Nikki Heat's inspiration. It would also bond Castle with Beckett's team, if they wanted to keep the precinct as part of the show. 

I don't know.  I can see why fans of SK would hate it but I'd give it a chance.  I might even have to start watching again to see if they are dropping anvils.

ETA:  I'd give them bonus points if they faked Kate's death to put her in witness protection. That way she isn't really dead but their marriage would have to be, to keep her alive. 

Same here. I stopped watching once it became such a debacle.

Twittle Dee and Twittle Dumber AKA Winters and Hawley have been quiet since PA got the boot so perhaps they are not as secure as they once thought.  Seamus mentioned earlier in interviews before Allen left that it was good that the Studio was invested in the show's future, not said much since.

Allen? Do you mean Paul Lee here?

I guess all that is on the table but as I personally feel we have been condescended to all season long by Hawley I can't help but second guess every word that comes out of his mouth as you also hinted. TBH I am not really convinced he would be ultimately calling the shots on such important decisions regarding continuing the show sans Beckett. He may just have to do as he is told - which is sort of ironic if you think about it!

I thought this 2011 interview with Laurie Zaks who was Executive Producer on the show back then was interesting, especially this bit:

How much input does the ABC have in general storylines? Do they change a lot?

Laurie Zaks: They have a lot to say. Some they like. In the big storylines, like the mythology, that's always discussed ahead of time. At this point, in fourth year, they've been loving everything this year. Every once in a while... Like the writers have been up really late or, you know, every once in a while, they'll just say "Uhh, no."

But generally they really love the creative direction of the show and they've been wonderful. They're wonderful collaborators and part of our family. Every once in a while there's a clunker and Andrew would just try and sell it and they're like "No, no." I think there's a Columbine story last year. No, it's not gonna happen. But I've worked on many other shows and a script goes through many stages before they're shown on the air so I've been on shows where they're throwing them out left and right. But that happens on more often in the first year than anything else. As the years go on, you get less and less network involvement. But we like our network, we like them to be around.

Seems clear the network would have signed off anything major happening, the separation and Locksat as a major story arc and how it pans got the thumbs up which doesn't say much about the critical faculties of those ultimately calling the shots at the time.

As far as the rumors pertaining to their show, Castle showrunners Terence Paul Winter and Alexi Hawley assured EW that it’s not true. As Winter put it, “We killed off Montgomery in season 3. We’re not killing anymore people off.”

Hawley joked: “[if it were true], I can’t imagine we’d be sitting here saying you’re going to be excited to see what happens in January. ‘Beckett’s dead, but dont worry about it, it’s still going to be fun!’ No, we’re not. It’s absolutely not true.”

In this article from EW back in October when there was a similar concern, Hawley apparently doesn't consider "fun" to be killing off either of his co leads and they don't plan to to it again - although given that I don't trust Hawley further than I could throw him I'm not that reassured, especially given how quickly things can change.

It may prove a blessing in disguise for Katic to leave as I fear what a S9 could bring for her at the hands of Hawley in his quest for "satisfying" "fun" storytelling and I believe Katic has given up fretting about protecting her character, she seems to have disengaged. There are worse things than death for a beloved TV character - at least for me - actor apathy, bad writing and constant character assassination.

If a character is abused constantly by the showrunners seemingly for shits and giggles I get to the stage where I wish they had been written off the show, at least leave me with some decent memories instead of watching characters I no longer recognize get torn apart.

It would be entirely fitting given how bad this season has been that they end it with Beckett's life in the balance as Hawley rehashes yet another defining Caskett moment and fans spend the long hiatus in a state of unrest.

Edited by verdana

I thought this 2011 interview with Laurie Zaks who was Executive Producer on the show back then was interesting, especially this bit: 

Seems clear the network would have signed off anything major happening, the separation and Locksat as a major story arc and how it pans got the thumbs up which doesn't say much about the critical faculties of those ultimately calling the shots at the time.

In this article from EW back in October when there was a similar concern, Hawley apparently doesn't consider "fun" to be killing off either of his co leads and they don't plan to to it again - although given that I don't trust Hawley further than I could throw him I'm not that reassured, especially given how quickly things can change.

It may prove a blessing in disguise for Katic to leave as I fear what a S9 could bring for her at the hands of Hawley in his quest for "satisfying" "fun" storytelling and I believe Katic has given up fretting about protecting her character, she seems to have disengaged. There are worst things than death for a beloved TV character - at least for me - actor apathy, bad writing and constant character assassination are worse.

If a character is abused constantly by the showrunners seemingly for shits and giggles I get to the stage where I wish they had been written off the show, at least leave me with some decent memories instead of watching characters I no longer recognize get torn apart. 

It would be entirely fitting given how bad this season has been that they end it with Beckett's life in the balance as Hawley rehashes yet another defining Caskett moment and fans spend the long hiatus in a state of unrest. 

This is from one of their first interviews to TV Line on May 20.

“There’s always a Plan B,” Hawley said when asked if there was in place a means to abruptly write out Detective Kate Beckett, who as Season 7 closed was pondering both her professional (a run for state senate?) and personal futures. “But it would’ve been a fundamentally different show, and that would’ve been quite a mountain to climb.”

Acknowledging the obvious — that the Rick Castle/Kate Beckett relationship “is very much at the center of the show” — Hawley, whose Castle resume includes a Seasons 2 through 4 run as a producer, opening with a stint as executive story editor, said with a laugh, “I’m thrilled not to have to come up with a show that doesn’t include Stana. That’s a high-wire act.”

As for what he and Winter do have on tap for Season 8, as they replace showrunner David Amann (who himself succeeded series creator Andrew W. Marlowe a year ago), Hawley said, “It’s very, very early days,” especially given that he’s still “closing up shop” on Fox’s recently cancelled The Following (where he served as co-showrunner).

“At this point, we haven’t even sat down and talked about it yet,” he said. “Fundamentally, Beckett and Castle’s relationship has room to have movement in it. So for me — and I can’t speak for Terence — we’re just excited to go in there and see what the future holds.

“ABC just really wants to tell good stories,” Hawley noted. “And I think there’s still a lot of great stories to be told.”

It seems Hawley was more prepared to go with his Plan B when it came to the solo episodes he has written this season, completely ignoring Beckett, and I've included the second paragraph as another indication that the showrunners detailed plans for the season could have played little part in Stana's decision to re-sign.

I really, really hope they don't kill her off. To me, when they do that, it makes it hard to enjoy former episodes in syndication or DVDs.  A show I used to love (also on ABC) did that to a main character last season, and now it is hard for me to even rewatch the old episodes.

I really, really hope they don't kill her off. To me, when they do that, it makes it hard to enjoy former episodes in syndication or DVDs.  A show I used to love (also on ABC) did that to a main character last season, and now it is hard for me to even rewatch the old episodes.

FBOW did that for me when Marlowe decided that Castle wasn't Beckett's "one and done" just to "take her down a peg or two" and it took a long time before I dusted off the DVDs after that, even now it still tarnishes my enjoyment of some episodes. If Beckett doesn't survive the series that might be the final straw, even so the events of S8 are going to hang heavy on any future season, hard to know what is actually meant to be canon anymore. If these showrunners are still at the helm we might even discover that it was only a Tyson lookalike that died in Reckoning as nothing much they've written for S8 has been very original.

Andrew W. MarloweVerified account ‏@AndrewWMarlowe  21h21 hours ago

Seven years ago, a little show premiered Monday night on ABC. Thank you all for giving us a chance. We're so very grateful. Always. #Castle

Bringing one quote over from the Rating thread:

And is it a coincidence that the two solo episodes penned by Hawley this season have been the two that have not included Beckett, you could almost think he has an aversion for writing about her now, but I guess we'll never know for sure what instigated her being left out.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence as he also wrote Headhunters. Makes sense IMO. And he is the boss, so he would have no problem to assign the following Slaughter episode to him as well. The GDS episode touched upon the linking of Castle’s and Beckett’s “mystery”, so I would assume that’s also his or Winter’s business to solve/ write. As for Beckett’s non- appearance, the episode had the big Haylay revelation, so it makes sense that the character is present. Also due to Beckett’s absence there is a greater conflict potential which they will probably exploit later on.

That being said, I don’t believe in the Stana-and-her-character-being-dissed conspiracy. Consequently one has to believe the Nathan-and-his-character-being-dissed conspiracy and Molly-and-her-character-being-dissed conspiracy from earlier years (and still happening).

• Love 4
Juliana DeverVerified account ‏@CleverDever  Mar 9

Visiting this dreamy guy on set while trying on my wardrobe. Yep. JENNY IS RETURNING to #CASTLE! #7YearsOfCastle

Jenny's back, presumably so they can do a few minutes on what's been going on Ryan's personal life for the season, she can have the baby and then disappear again. 

Edited by verdana

May be he's dead, like most things that should be very important, they tend to happen off screen. 

Either that or he's been kidnapped by Locksat and they're so incompetent (or busy evilly scheming elsewhere) they haven't got around to telling Beckett yet. 

Watch what you love. ‏@Sandraxf  7 hrs7 hours ago
#Castle Episode 8.16 "Heartbreaker" - Synopsis

https://twitter.com/Sandraxf/status/708272993005400065

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
That being said, I don’t believe in the Stana-and-her-character-being-dissed conspiracy. Consequently one has to believe the Nathan-and-his-character-being-dissed conspiracy and Molly-and-her-character-being-dissed conspiracy from earlier years (and still happening).

Agreed, I don't see what so terrible happens to Beckett that hasn't previously happened to every other character on Castle, several times over. Not that it's not terrible, mind you, but I kind of got used to it some seasons ago. This much lamented "character assassination" is far from the first one on the show, let's be honest Beckett just had it better than the others for the most part, when it came to character continuity and moral high grounds (lol). It's sad, but was to be expected IMO as the show was running out of characters to "assassinate" in its continuous search for higher stakes and more shocking cliffhangers. LokSat and the separation shtick makes everyone look and act dumber, not just Beckett.

Edited by Gant
  • Love 1

They haven't done Beckett any favors in the last 2 or 3 seasons but I think Castle has actually been treated much worse overall. They have systematically stripped him of most of the good qualities that made him an intersting character. From being a good father who could be strong when he had to be to the quick witted writer with a devilish side. He is more or less just a clown now. Just horrible characterization all around. I do regret that the days of the brassy & sexy (but still sort of straight-laced & vulnerable) Beckett colliding with a reckless & irreverent Castle are long gone & never to return.

• Love 5

Castle Vital Scenes

Castle Vital Scenes – ‏@BecklebeeCastle

FYI as per Jim Adler, he is co-writing #Castle 8x21 (the penultimate episode for Season 8)

It's a given that Hawley has to be writing the finale, or maybe he'll let Winter in on the act too but I'm guessing he'd prefer to do it alone with Rob 'light off!' Bowman to direct. Edited by verdana

I think the person who got the most screwed over in the past few years is Susan Sullivan.   I'm absolutely amazed they have her under contract and they don't use her.  It's a shame. 

• Love 5

I think the person who got the most screwed over in the past few years is Susan Sullivan.   I'm absolutely amazed they have her under contract and they don't use her.  It's a shame.

It's really a double shame, because not only are the wasting a tremendous talent, but the character's past could have been a much richer source of storylines.

• Love 3

Interesting that they are trying a repeat of different show, maybe testing out how something else does in this time slot? Or just trying to gain a few extra viewers for the new show (which is already airing after Scandal, one of ABCs sweetest spots).  They supposedly aired that Sunday episode because they needed to fit an extra episode in.  But now they are pulling an episode?

I think next week is also the episode where Castle and Beckett decide to stop their break up charade, at least based on their "I can't do this anymore" from the promo. I assume that will be the very last scene of the episode though.

• Love 1

Interesting that they are trying a repeat of different show, maybe testing out how something else does in this time slot? Or just trying to gain a few extra viewers for the new show (which is already airing after Scandal, one of ABCs sweetest spots).  They supposedly aired that Sunday episode because they needed to fit an extra episode in.  But now they are pulling an episode?

There was originally supposed to be a week's break between 8x18 and 8x19 (Rob Hanning's episode) per Rob. But now, according to Hawley, they will be airing 8x16 straight through to the finale.

I think next week is also the episode where Castle and Beckett decide to stop their break up charade, at least based on their "I can't do this anymore" from the promo. I assume that will be the very last scene of the episode though.

Yes, and 8x16 is the episode in which Beckett finally comes back home. I'd been enthused that it was airing in March as well; kind of disappointed that it's not to be.

So the 'badass Beckett' episode next week (as I see it being referred to in some quarters) then another break for this pilot.

By now this term makes me mentally barf as much as "organic", "mythology" and "fun". Like any mention of "Samantha" in TXF. My reaction is immediate and uncontrollable. The curse of being in a fandom for any long-running show I guess.

• Love 1

By now this term makes me mentally barf as much as "organic", "mythology" and "fun". Like any mention of "Samantha" in TXF. My reaction is immediate and uncontrollable. The curse of being in a fandom for any long-running show I guess.

Especially since some (like moi!) find "Badass Beckett" as badass as Elmer Fudd.

• Love 8

Is it really a "badass Beckett" episode though??

She's teaching at the academy and someone gets murdered....doesn't sound very high stakes?? Are we sure it isn't just the Stana 'ultra' fangirls who are imaging it???

Yeah, I didn't get the sense this was a "Badass Beckett" episode either, just that Beckett had a lot to do.

I think the Badass Beckett will be when we get back into LokSat.

Especially since some (like moi!) find "Badass Beckett" as badass as Elmer Fudd.

I get that not everyone is into "badass Beckett" and respect that, but this made me laugh out loud because this cartoon character is the perfect description for how I view the character of Castle in a lot of situations.

• Love 3

I get that not everyone is into "badass Beckett" and respect that, but this made me laugh out loud because this cartoon character is the perfect description for how I view the character of Castle in a lot of situations.

Cool!  :-)  But at this stage (S8), this is around the time (late in the show game) when any character on any given show sort of becomes a shadow of themselves. I have yet to watch a TV show where the characters are from when they started in a long-running series.

Old TV series law, I guess!

• Love 1

Cool! :-) But at this stage (S8), this is around the time (late in the show game) when any character on any given show sort of becomes a shadow of themselves. I have yet to watch a TV show where the characters are from when they started in a long-running series.

Yep! And why TV series should end sooner rather than later! On the law of averages I think they should cap all TV dramas at either 4 or 5 seasons. If they were truely in it for storytelling they would but when there's still a big Ol buck to be made....

• Love 3

Cool! :-) But at this stage (S8), this is around the time (late in the show game) when any character on any given show sort of becomes a shadow of themselves. I have yet to watch a TV show where the characters are from when they started in a long-running series.

Agree.  However with Castle it's not just age related, it's also the results of a change in the shows DNA,  a possible new spinoff?  Castle P.I.,  Castle G.D.S.?

• Love 1

Agree.  However with Castle it's not just age related, it's also the results of a change in the shows DNA,  a possible new spinoff?  Castle P.I.,  Castle G.D.S.?

That plan seemed to be from Paul Lee, though. Since he's gone, I don't think we'll know until May what Channing Dungey wants. Although, even with poor ratings, most 10:00 p.m. shows are not doing much better, so it seems like a toss up as to whether the show continues and in what format. Maybe SOME of the crappy writing comes from trying to keep options going. (Being charitable.)

• Love 1