Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

But I am hoping that we find out AU Kate actually does read Castle's books but was pretending not to in the promo scene to not seem to fan-girly at work.

Yeah would be nice if AU Beckett tells Castle about the books and when Castle gets back he asks real Beckett about it.

Would have been fun if they had Demming back for that episode (not Josh though).

The angsty ones with the sad, realistic endings are the worst in terms of ripping your heart out.  There are a few that touch on Castle and Beckett parting ways forever due to miscommunication, and it's all too real.

I enjoy reading them because at their best they can be so very realistic, poignant and heartbreaking, they're much harder to write well.

Do you mind telling me which fic that was you were reading before with Josh if you can remember? It sounds right up my street LOL. An author who does some great ones is airbefore she's does "happy ever after" fic too and they're good but some of the more angst filled ones have had me thinking about them for days afterwards at what might have been. There were quite a few done around the douchebag arc by various writers that made painful reading but felt so real to me as how it probably would have gone if this had been a real life situation. I know some fans can't abide the idea of them not always having a happy, ever after ending but honestly given what the writers have put them through over the years and how they've behaved towards each other at times there's a wealth of subject matter to explore there. 

Edited by verdana

Verdana, this is the (unfinished) AU fic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10493732/1/Conundrum

I seem to recall some others with a similar premise where one party has forgotten the other, and another one where Castle saves Johanna Beckett's life but the price is he doesn't get to be with Beckett... but I forget the titles.  Anyone?  I do enjoy AUs so if anyone can recommend some well written AU fanfics, please feel free to do so.

Edited by madmaverick

From TV|Line:

Question: Do you have any scoop on Castle Episode 8? —Jess
Ausiello: Titled “Kill Switch,” the episode revolves around a routine investigation that turns deadly when a gunman takes hostages on a subway car — including one of the 12th’s finest. BONUS SCOOP: Married with Children‘s Ted McGinley is set to guest star in Episode 9’s Expendables riff as Brock Harmon, an aging, larger-than-life B-movie action vet (and the husband of the recently cast Krista Allen). The ep revolves around the murder of a Stallone-like movie star.

Thanks tljgator.

I guess this must be the Espo-centric episode they mentioned and he gets taken hostage. At least Tamala will have something to do this episode other than talk about lividity - she will be allowed to sob to camera about her beloved.

I wonder if this experience means an Esplanie wedding will be on the cards a little later?  It's like buses you don't one for ages then two come at once....

Edited by verdana

Gosh, goth!Alexis is the real shocker (did she marry Pi also? :P).  And looks like they are living in a different loft.  Sacrilege, I know, but is Castle even a murder mystery writer?  Maybe he writes non-fiction or he's a journalist like Jameson Rook.

Love the pic of Caskett all casual and cosy and domestic, kissing in the kitchen.  That's the kind of easy intimacy that can be sexy.  Got to say Nathan's looking pretty good in that v-neck.  No robes on both, thankfully!  Oh wait, maybe Beckett is wearing a robe. I was too distracted by the kissing and the bicep heh.

At least Tamala will have something to do this episode other than talk about lividity - she will be allowed to sob to camera about her beloved.

Lol.  Poor Tamala and poor Lanie. ;)  Not too excited about an Espo-centric episode, especially coming off the heels of a Caskett-centric AU and a Western episode. But I guess since they already did the Castle as hostage plot, they can't go there again.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

@CastlePromos: *** WARNING *** CASKETT SPOILER *** http://t.co/kkm6JJPWed

I sort of love this still.

I guess I'm confused as to how if Castle and Beckett didn't meet Alexis ends up with black hair. I mean, he's always been a great parent, so not meeting Beckett would have no bearing on how he raised her and what decisions she made. Unless maybe they go for the angle that Alexis finally rebels because she's tired of Castle hovering, and that by Castle working with Beckett he's turned into less of a helicopter parent than he would have been or something.

I know, but is Castle even a murder mystery writer?  Maybe he writes non-fiction or he's a journalist like Jameson Rook.

I guess it depends how AU the world is.  If it is just them never meeting, then everything he did before the pilot still happened.  He would have killed off Derek Storm and had writer's block, but then not been inspired by Beckett.  Maybe he didn't write anything after that? Or wrote something else that was less successful?

Based on the decor of the loft and Martha's wardrobe, I'm thinking he ran into trouble and Martha somehow came into money and she bought the loft, but they all still live there? How would Beckett have an impact on Martha's wealth though?

I guess I'm confused as to how if Castle and Beckett didn't meet Alexis ends up with black hair. I mean, he's always been a great parent, so not meeting Beckett would have no bearing on how he raised her and what decisions she made. Unless maybe they go for the angle that Alexis finally rebels because she's tired of Castle hovering, and that by Castle working with Beckett he's turned into less of a helicopter parent than he would have been or something.

Well, I wouldn't say Alexis dying her hair black means Castle wasn't a great parent.  I can see them doing the angle that Beckett's advice to Castle over the years had an impact.  But it could also be because of however Castle spends his time when he doesn't work with the NYPD.  Or maybe there was another woman he met instead and she had an influence?

They probably just wanted to give Molly something fun to do.  I hate when writers make decisions like that though.

Edited by KaveDweller

I'd like to think Alexis' black hair doesn't mean anything other than a fashion choice but Castle writers aren't exactly subtle with stuff like that ;) and my guess is that it means Castle and Alexis aren't as close or even estranged in this AU.  Which wouldn't really make sense even if Castle had never met Beckett, but anyway... one thing that I don't think's going to change in any AU is that Castle will be working hard to win Alexis' favour. ;)

Good call about the loft possibly being Martha's given the decor.  It could be an interesting reversal if Martha was the wealthy one and Castle was the dependent one with a difficult relationship with his daughter in this AU (again not sure how that factors into Beckett changing his life but anyway...) though I'm not sure how much time would be spent exploring these different family dynamics.   Maybe even Castle's the lost one looking for a solid Beckett in this AU.

I like the fruit! :P

Edited by madmaverick
It could be an interesting reversal if Martha was the wealthy one and Castle was the dependent one with a difficult relationship with his daughter in this AU (again not sure how that factors into Beckett changing his life but anyway...) though I'm not sure how much time would be spent exploring these different family dynamics.

Castle had a LOT of money before the show started, so I don't think he would be dependent on Martha even if he never made a cent after the last Derek Storm book.  But that doesn't mean they won't go there.

Maybe even Castle's the lost one looking for a solid Beckett in this AU.

I wonder about that scene in the promo where they are talking about getting past this. I initially thought it was Beckett being worried about something, but maybe it is Castle hesitating about being ready for the wedding.  Then he goes into the AU and realizes life is awful without her and he wants to get married right away. 

Guess that settles the Montgomery/Gates debate. ;)

Ha.  The plot thickens....

I'm assuming this will be going the route of success in a career but actually miserable at home.  It's cliche but could still be good.

ABC ANNOUNCES NOVEMBER 2014 SWEEPS PROGRAMMING

“Castle” – “The Time of Our Lives” - A murder investigation launches Castle into what seems to be an alternate universe where he's never met Kate Beckett. Castle has to convince Beckett, Esposito and Ryan -- now complete strangers -- to let him participate in their investigation so he can find his way back to his own world. This inspires Castle & Beckett to finally take a trip to the altar, MONDAY NOVEMBER 10 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

“CASTLE” – “Once Upon A Time In The West” -- When Castle and Beckett learn that a murder victim may have been poisoned at an Old West-style resort; they visit the resort -- posing as newlyweds -- to uncover the truth, MONDAY, NOVEMBER 17 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

They had better not be just posing. If Marlowe doesn't get them married and fucks this up again he will never find a bunker secure enough to hide away from the masses of severely pissed of fans. 

“CASTLE” – “Kill Switch” -- When subway passengers, including Detective Esposito, are taken hostage by a mysterious gunman, Castle, Beckett and the team must uncover the gunman's agenda before it's too late, MONDAY, NOVEMBER 24 (10:01- 11:00 p.m., ET).

And the final episode in sweeps, not sure why an Esposito one made it into the cut. Yawn.

Edited by verdana

In "our" universe, IIRC, Castle wrote his first novel in college and became successful/rich at an early age.  For alternate universe purposes, what if he hadn't become an author, or at least a successful one?  What career might he have chosen?  Maybe teaching?

Well at least I know that there's going to be some genuine affection between them in this episode by the looks of that kiss. Nice one, Nathan looks hot in that tee too which always helps, I'm with mad maverick this is just the kind of thing I need to see more often when they're at home and have it treated as normal loving behaviour not saved up for special occasions. 

What the hell were they thinking having Alexis with black hair? It does nothing for her, she could be a member of the Adams Family with that do and pale skin. I love the boots though but why do I sense they're going to portray her as a bit of handful? Then again no change there if she's a pain in the arse and Castle's grovelling to her in the AU version too.

I'm assuming this will be going the route of success in a career but actually miserable at home.  It's cliche but could still be good.

That's the obvious route to go down which means it will happen - they'll both be miserable. I agree with you about Beckett but Castle? Not so sure about him, probably knowing the writers he'll be unhappy at home and work. 

Here is the sneak on youtube since I couldn't watch it on the ABC site.

Beckett being captain feels right to me, that's where she should be by rights given how good she is. 

Would it be too much to hope that Castle's wardrobe gets transformed too in the AU world?

Edited by verdana

I've posted the link in the media thread but I here's what Matt at TV Line has to say about the episode.

Laying out the “rule book” for the reality-skewing episode, showrunner David Amann tells TVLine, “Castle has never written Nikki Heat, because he’s never met Kate, and she has no idea who he is” — not even as a successful novelist, mind you. “The people around him, including Martha and Alexis, are different as well, in different kinds of ways, in direct reaction to the path his life has taken.”
Meaning you can also expect to spy subtle changes in Ryan and Esposito, as a result of their Castle-free years.

“There’s a lot of fun to be had,” Amann promises. “Nathan is brilliant in it, playing the fish out of water situation. It’s a delightful episode” — especially, one must imagine, given the wedding bells that ring it to a close.

That suggests to me the wedding is at the end, no shock there but I wonder how long they're going to give it? Fans are already starting to pester Matt on twitter asking how long the wedding will be, I bet he's thrilled heh.

I'll hope and pray there's genuinely lots of fun to be had with this story, the writers version of "fun" and mine don't often gel together that well. 

Edited by verdana

I had been hoping for the successful, fun, sexy playboy author RC that we saw in S1.  But the tee shirt looks okay...unfortunately, right now I'm getting an It's a Wonderful Life vibe and I never really warmed up to that.  Hopefully I will be surprised and happy by the end of the episode.

What career might he have chosen?  Maybe teaching?

When I first heard the concept of Child's Play, I thought they were going to have Castle go into the school as a substitute and claim he has a degree in teaching that he got in case writing didn't work out.  I can definitely picture him as a teacher.

not even as a successful novelist, mind you.

That's kind of depressing, why wouldn't she have still read his books?  He was successful before Nikki Heat.

Maybe they are saying them never meeting means there was no kind of contact, including her reading the books? Like that was their first meeting?

Edited by KaveDweller
Would it be too much to hope that Castle's wardrobe gets transformed too in the AU world?

Nope! Castle still remembers who he is so no change.

Castle said he wrote his first book and he blew the money from that so he had to write more .... or did I read that in a fanfic? lol. 

The loft looks like decorated Martha style ... ala it's her place in the alternate world. PS: Anyone think that Castle just has a dream/nightmare and that's this "alternative world, b/c how else can it be explained?!?

(edited)

When I first heard the concept of Child's Play, I thought they were going to have Castle go into the school as a substitute and claim he has a degree in teaching that he got in case writing didn't work out. I can definitely picture him as a teacher.

That would've been interesting and even more fun to watch if Beckett could've been there watching too.

Oh wow the loft looks so different with bright and light furnishings and placement. Kinds looks more Martha's taste with the chandelier and wallpaper. I'm kinds surprised that they put Molly in a black wig instead of shade of brown that would would look natural if she was a brunette.

Castle said he wrote his first book and he blew the money from that so he had to write more .... or did I read that in a fanfic? lol.

He mentioned in Lucky Stiff that he spent his 1st book earnings on stuff when he's looking around the victims apartment.

Edited by turnitwayup

The Ryan Report revisited

Because it came up in tonight’s episode of Castle we decided it was time to revisit The Ryan Report because it appears many fans are unaware it exists.

Season 1

In 2009 Ryan started a blogspot blog in which he wrote about issues arising from his work as a detective at the 12th Precinct.

DetectiveRyan.blogspot.com

Seasons 2 & 3

In September that year Ryan’s blog moved to a new home on ABC’s website and after it was rumored in 2011 that the blog would be discontinued we archived the posts up until part way through season 3  which makes it easy for you to catch up.

Catch up here

Edited by verdana

BTS 7.09 

You can see the ring on Nathan plain as day in these two shots, at least they're remembering to keep it on. Love the bottom one.

Maybe Nathan Fillion is secretly married and is wearing his very own ring! Just teasing ;-).

Nice picture, don't think it is Stana but for a second I did wonder!  May be this is her giving followers a clue as to how she'll be looking in the wild west episode.

It's a clue that someone's 'whipped' in the house.  No surprise there. ;)  Or something kinky's going on on their honeymoon. :P

I think she was just going for the Western theme.

Edited by madmaverick

Nice picture, don't think it is Stana but for a second I did wonder!  May be this is her giving followers a clue as to how she'll be looking in the wild west episode.

Yeah there were some BTS pics of her on set in an outfit very similar to this. 

Edited by S55

Definitely looking forward to the AU episode and intrigued by what changes the writers opted to explore, but trying to keep expectations down low because it won't be the first time that a premise with potential was left unfulfilled.  And zero expectations for the wedding after last time.  It's going to happen and that's my feeling about it right now.  They'll have to inspire all those deep, heartfelt, romantic feelings of wanting to spend the rest of your life with someone and not wanting to wait another second for that to start with their skillful writing in the episode.  I'll be pleased if I feel the culmination, the heart and the impact of their relationship like I did in Still.

“There’s a lot of fun to be had,” Amann promises. “Nathan is brilliant in it, playing the fish out of water situation. It’s a delightful episode” — especially, one must imagine, given the wedding bells that ring it to a close.

They really are taking pains to reassure us that we're getting the real deal this time, aren't they? ;)  

Figured they'd play the fish out of water situation, but I hope Castle isn't mopey and depressed in this AU for a lot of the episode (when he realizes he's lost his fiance, and likely his daughter and also his career).  Would kind of put a dampener on a wedding episode.  Poor guy if he loses his joie de vivre in his AU as it's always kind of defined his character.  But they do have to create some pathos from the situation and not just play the comedy.  Castle has a lot to lose if he can't get back to his own life.  Even knowing there's a chance he can't, I'd like to see him proactively trying to create happiness for all his loved ones in the AU.

I love the boots though but why do I sense they're going to portray her as a bit of handful? Then again no change there if she's a pain in the arse and Castle's grovelling to her in the AU version too.

I suspect Alexis will always have the upper hand in the father/daughter relationship as they write it.  I just hope they don't make it that she's a rebel or whatever because Castle's a bad father.  I really do think Castle would be a good father in any universe even if doesn't have a successful career or a happy personal life.  But i guess it can't be smooth sailing otherwise no drama. ;)

Agreed that this is the likely route for Beckett.  All work and no play.  Somehow writers rarely go this route for a man... ;)

Capt. Beckett is a well earned position.  But even in that sneak peek she comes across as somewhat different to the Beckett Castle first met in the pilot.  More... polished, less edgy, equally reserved?  Well, she's in management after all.  

Looks like Castle definitely won't be recapturing that playful, edgy vibe.  He'll be the good, lost, somewhat clueless and hopefully not too bumbling dude.  I just hope they remember to write Castle in such a way that it would make sense for Capt. Beckett to be attracted and drawn to him.

That's the obvious route to go down which means it will happen - they'll both be miserable. I agree with you about Beckett but Castle? Not so sure about him, probably knowing the writers he'll be unhappy at home and work.

They'll probably make it that he can't write (writer's block) or never found success as a writer, poor guy.  His daughter hates him and he's living under his mother's roof.  What I said above: hope they don't make him too unhappy for too much of the episode.  It's always tough watching Castle be really unhappy and so unlike himself.  They'll have to write well to make any epiphany poignant and moving.  But honestly, Castle doesn't really seem to be in need of an epiphany to me either. He knows he's a lucky man.  

Heh.  That thought did occur to me.  I will say he's looking good in that black v-neck.  But wouldn't it be fun to imagine him dressed like a bad boy, or Doctor Motorcycle Boy for a change? Leather and ripped tee shirts.  Who knows what Capt. Beckett finds attractive? :P

I would have loved to see an episode in earlier seasons when they were struggling with UST with Caskett having to pose as newlyweds or a married couple undercover.  Surprised they didn't go to that old well.  Hopefully going undercover as newlyweds when they actually are newlyweds (if that makes sense) will be fun too.  The image of Castle carrying Beckett while both are dressed up Western style, all happy and smiley, does seem like fun.  Feels like I'm watching another show. Another AU where they are different people altogether!

Although I thought the whole premise was supposed to be: If Caskett never met. Not hey Caskett's lives are totally different.

That's what I thought when the details first came out but now it seems that Castle has been given (or given himself) a whole new life and back story during his little adventure, according to Amann he's not even a successful writer which he was prior to meeting her. I can't say I'm overly thrilled they've seemingly gone in that direction and I'm confused by how all of this can be explained in 45 minutes and they fit a wedding in that doesn't feel rushed and superficial. 

I'm starting to wonder about everything. Was he ever married to Meredith? Or Gina?  Is he going to be some sad sack who is a failed writer or not even a writer at all and a disappointment to his family? 

I wonder if Samantha is on to something here and they're going to have him waking up and this whole AU business has been some kind of weird dream. 

They'll probably make it that he can't write (writer's block) or never found success as a writer, poor guy.  His daughter hates him and he's living under his mother's roof.

Thanks you saved me the trouble I was coming back to say this. They have too many moments where Castle ends up looking like a fool/loser and downtrodden and I don't want them repeating that in the AU just to ram home the point that his life is pretty shitty without Beckett  around.

I'm looking forward more to the AU aspect and how they dealt with it that than the wedding which however it happens is not going to please everyone, that's impossible. Although it's important that it happens at this point it's not going to define the season, my expectations have been duly lowered accordingly (if the lighting is good and Jim gives Kate away I'll count that as a win). It's a one off event probably lasting no more than 5 minutes in a 23 episode season long run. I'd rather they concentrated on improving the overall quality of the cases and Caskett interaction especially if the show is to continue for a few more seasons. 

Edited by verdana

I have been thinking about it, and I kind of like the idea that the AU is Castle and Beckett never having any contact before (and not just that they never met).  IF her not reading her books is just part of that AU rule, and she's also even more walled off because she didn't even have his books to help her after Johanna died.  But if they go the route of Castle never having been successful at all I will be disappointed.  Because that's not a "what if Beckett and Castle never met" story, it's a "what if Castle was never a successful writer" story.  Which could also be interesting but is less romantic and not what we were promised.

Or, they make this whole thing turn out to be a dream, and Castle doesn't know how much an impact the books had an Beckett before they met.  Then after he tells her about the dream and she tells him about what they meant to her.  (I am positive it won't happen, but it would be awesome).

I can see them never meeting having on Alexis though.  Beckett gave Castle a lot of parenting advice in the first few seasons.  That's not to suggest that Castle would have been a bad parent without her, just that there was an impact.  I don't think you're only a good parent if your kid ends up clean cut and at an ivy league school.

• Love 2

And the final episode in sweeps, not sure why an Esposito one made it into the cut. Yawn.

One of the strongest episodes last season was "Under Fire", so I wouldn't necessarily discount this one.

• Love 3

I can see them never meeting having on Alexis though.  Beckett gave Castle a lot of parenting advice in the first few seasons.  That's not to suggest that Castle would have been a bad parent without her, just that there was an impact.  I don't think you're only a good parent if your kid ends up clean cut and at an ivy league school.

May be her odd appearance isn't mean't to signal anything that serious has been going on with Alexis but these writers are hardly known for their subtlety.

I'll be pissed if they make Castle out to be bad/incompetent dad in the AU. I know Beckett did give him (and Alexis) occasional advice back in the early days but if she hadn't been around I don't think it would have made much difference given how strong and loving their relationship clearly was at that time. She wasn't a problem child or stupid, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to imagine as a smart, caring parent he would have figured out what do to on his own. Although Kate's advice was welcome and was a great way of establishing a link to Castle's world by the writers in S1/S2 I feel her influence has been minimal on Alexis overall.

The secret to this AU working is that they keep it relatively simple and straightforward. They don't want to create unnecessary frustration or confusion with an overly ambitious story about this couple in the same episode Castle and Beckett finally get married.

Edited by verdana

The promo and sneak peek seem to indicate that Castle and Beckett are on a case in yet another dodgy warehouse, they get separated, Castle gets hit (sucked into the time/space continuum ;)), wakes up to find Beckett and her car gone, runs back to the precinct to get help from the guys and meets Capt. Beckett.  I'm not sure they'll even bother to explain how he ended up in an AU, just that he'll wake back up at the warehouse location when it's over.