Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

(edited)

- Halwiederman specified that in his insider spoiler Castle is thought/suspected to have been involved in the accident, it isn't proven, but his amnesia objects him to tell what happens. I must say, I don't really care. I have strong reservations about using amnesia as a plot tool, because it is the second worst one after apperance of the never mentioned identical twin, but with utmost care it even could be good. My problem is that with or without amnesia this spoiler says that the conflict is basically a longer version of Probable Cause, and I think it was enough once. Castle is a suspect, he can't defend himself, the evidences point to him and he could only rely on Beckett's trust in him, while she has to make decisions listening to her heart instead of her head. It was nice once, but it wasn't so well done to repeat it not even two years later.

I agree it's sounding too much like Probable Cause all over again and yeah may be the amnesia story could work out "with the utmost care" and that's the big problem these writers don't give me the impression they can put the required effort in to make it work.  And really what's so exciting about this? The guy doesn't appear to remember so what's Kate expected to do? I don't fancy a lot of *worried look* Beckett on my dash for weeks on end as she struggles with her dilemma. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
Also, I wonder if AWM & Co have any intention addressing Kate's whole "previous marriage" storyline now that they know (at least I'm assuming they know) that so many fans were upset by it. I'm inclined to think that they are just going to leave it be like they have so many other times. I just have to say that I'm still really annoyed with that addition to her character. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Stana read the FBOW script for the first time. lol

Marlowe likes to make all episodes self contained wherever possible very rarely does a topic carry over into the next one. I'll bet the Rogan marriage will never be mentioned again. In any case why would he want to remind fans once again about that train wreck of a finale and the stupid Beckett/Rogan gaping plot hole if he doesn't strictly need to? 

Coming out of vacation isolation because it's raining and there's nothing to do here and couldn't see the video (my phone doesn't play well with whosay, unfortunately), but I saw the gifs. Is that recent? Because Nathan's looking really great. I'm hoping Luke doesn't make him look ... well, like boring-Castle.

(edited)

Marlowe likes to make all episodes self contained wherever possible very rarely does a topic carry over into the next one. I'll bet the Rogan marriage will never be mentioned again. In any case why would he want to remind fans once again about that train wreck of a finale and the stupid Beckett/Rogan gaping plot hole if he doesn't strictly need to?

He can continue with plot holes and turn it into a big set up by whoever drove Castle into the ditch. They set the whole thing up by creating that still married crap. Why Rogan would go with it. Who knows. They'll come up with a stupid excuse like money. It sure is a big bag of coincidences that Castle would be driving alone to the office to sign the papers and get the documents and back to the Hamptons. Wasn't Beckett's presence needed since she was the one without the divorce papers?

And the first tweets begin with: this is gonna be a fun season.

Dude I heard something similar about the last and let me tell ya, it was everything but funny or the best.

Edited by cappuccino
(edited)

Trying to make the plot hole fixable or using it in some way to to pretend some big bad was behind it makes it even worse because it opens up more questions (such as the above) than answers. I would love that her marriage to Rogan be an error, it was wrong on so many different levels (and I have my doubts Stana thought it was that wonderful either). I'd be interested if someone on one of these media sites that regularly follow the show did bring it up with Marlowe (or Amann) closer to S7 starting but they all want to stay on side so they'll probably ignore it. 

Although I'm quite certain there will be more gaping plot holes in the two parter, when you've dug yourself this deep into crap I figure you'll need a soap opera style plot and yet more suspension of disbelief to crawl back out. 

As for the tweets from writers, cast etc that are starting up saying how exciting, fun or romantic it's going to be well I've seen all this before and I try and ignore it because if there's one thing I've learnt is what they tell me rarely pans out on screen as they describe it.

Penny Johnson Jerald @btwprod  ·  2h
Going to see my favorite TV family soon:)))))))) hey @Stana_Katic @NathanFillion @Jon_Huertas @seamusdever @tamalajones @MollyQuinn93 Susan!

I hope Penny gets more to do next season, the Gates sister story was a damp squib that didn't really flesh out her character that much and the scene with Beckett was a total waste of time reduced down to a simple exchange of case exposition instead of genuine character development between them. I wish they would spend more time building up the relationship of two strong women working together and we see their growing respect and support for each other and for once it doesn't resolve talking about the men in their lives. 

I think all the secondary cast (okay may be not Espo or Tori if she can even be called secondary) are worthy of a little more time and attention by the writers and this could be achieved without affecting to any huge degree the "bread and butter" as Marlowe called it of Caskett.  

If as I suspect Stana and Nathan demand more time off they'll surely have no choice but to start expanding some of the secondary characters that are paper thin at the moment, unless they're simply going to increase the COTW exposition of which there is already way too much.

Edited by verdana

"I second the motion to dump his wardrobe and change to t-shirts, jackets and jeans/chinos :) He is really bulky, but in those ones he is powerful as well - maybe that's why they never use it. Whiny, doormat Castle in these clothes? C'mon." halachihu

Bulky? I guess there are just not a lot of actors with that hockey player build. Although he's a bit small for the NHL. Same with his most famous physical attribute. Here in Canada we call it 'skater's ass'. Both hockey and figure skaters have well developed glutes, needed for fast hard skating.

McManda--Apparently just in the past couple of days. The tasee is Josh Wingate, his trainer (and doing a great job!) and actor who played one of the scumbag rappers (314 - Lucky Stiff). Seems they had a bet that Wingate couldn't add 1000 Twitter followers before his appearance in Teen Wolf. Wingate lost-- he got the followers he didn't think he could, and Nathan got to tase him.

(edited)

Yeah I think so - look at her hair.

There was another one from the "shut the front door" moment in Always floating around which also looked great.  If this was a clip from the deleted Always scene, tumblr would be in meltdown by now. 

Edited by verdana

My vote is fan made.  Looks like the final scene of "Murder, He Wrote", just turned sideways.

Yes, fan made - I have seen it before, 5x04 image flipped. Just imagine what's going to go off when that scene leaks onto the internet and I have full confidence that it will be leaked.

(edited)

Oh yeah considering the lack of heat and physical intimacy we've seen from them since that moment. I can only imagine the giant meltdown from passion starved fans when that scene comes out no doubt just in time for the premiere. 

Edited by verdana

I would love nothing more than for Jerry Tyson and Dr. Neiman to have been behind the whole debacle that was the season finale! From the marriage licence popping up, to the venue change, to the new dress. All that. But basically Beckett being married b/c that's what kicks all of the crap off.  Think about it .. Jerry got 2 people to get plastic surgery to look like Lanie and Espo .. how hard would it be to do some tricky w. a fake marriage licence. B/c I refuse to believe this marriage didn't come up in all of Beckett's work/tax background checks. 

Keep Jerry and Neiman popping in back and forth, as the big bad of the season, until mid season aka the winter finale. Bring back Dana Delaney as Agt Shaw in the winter finale to assist the tam in catching them both. Make it a cliffhanger/ 2 parter. Winter premiere is part 2 thus wrapping up the 3XK arc.  Castle's season 2, 2 parter, especially the 2nd episode Boom, is still the show's highest rated episode in the 18/49 demo. Get back one of the reasons it was .. Dana Delaney aka Agt Shaw. Also do it by wrapping up another big arc that was started 4 seasons ago! 

• Love 4

Is that late? That seems late to me. But maybe September starts in a Tuesday, so the 4th Monday is really that late.

DWTS starts two weeks earlier and on 22th the special off-time premiere of Forever will be in Castle's timeslot. (Forever's second episode will be on next day, 23rd wich will be its regular slot.)

Don't know if this is PR speak, but hopes for much real change definitely going down.  And I guess AM/TM may be writing 7.02.  Darn, I was really hoping for TPW's writing to help get the show out of its hole.  7.02 will likely be where the climatic resolution comes in and I did not want AM writing Caskett for that moment.

http://www.givememyremote.com/remote/2014/07/15/abc-at-tca-paul-lee-on-the-castle-showrunner-change/

I second the motion to dump his wardrobe and change to t-shirts, jackets and jeans/chinos :) He is really bulky, but in those ones he is powerful as well - maybe that's why they never use it. Whiny, doormat Castle in these clothes? C'mon.

He is bulky but he doesn't have to look frumpy!  I see big guys dressed sharply with a slimmer silhouette on other shows but Luke just doesn't seem to know how to do that well.  He should be dressed better, and younger, within reason of course, rather than looking like someone around Luke's age.  Castle needs his mojo and so do his clothes!  We've had scenes where Castle looked at Beckett's physical attributes and found her desirable but it feels like we haven't had the same from Beckett to Castle in forever.  It would help if Luke would put Castle in some understated powerful clothes and have him be sexy without knowing it, but Beckett definitely takes notice.

I almost feel like we should have a funny meta scene where Beckett gifts Castle with an ugly piece of clothing (like Jenny did Ryan that ugly tie before he started turning up in snazzy, expensive 3 piece suits all the time!) to explain why we're subjected to horrible Castle clothes.  Did Castle give away all his clothing budget to Beckett or something? ;) Actually, I think it'd be fun if they're sitting on the couch as they seem to love doing ;), or in bed, and reading magazines, and Beckett asks Castle for his opinion about women's shoes or something, and it turns out that he's well-informed about them, being the metrosexual and SATC watcher that he is lol.  Or Beckett goes on about shoes and Castle goes on about gadgets in the same way.  Or maybe Beckett doesn't like fashion magazines but likes to read about muscle cars instead.  Who knows? ;)  Just saying that not every personal Caskett scene has to be about a dead serious issue, or wedding planning!  Need more playfulness and fun.

Because Nathan's looking really great. I'm hoping Luke doesn't make him look ... well, like boring-Castle.

Tbh, I'm a bit afraid of Luke's "flourishes" at this point, that he seems to love adding to Castle's outerwear.  I don't mind Castle being dressed simply in classic mens pieces, as long as they are well-tailored!

I'm not sure about the taser thing, I mean how much it was real, but NF's sense of humor is sometime strange to me. Like when he slaps everybody as a joke. I know he does it as a joke and I'm sure that everybody around him is well versed about this habit, but I would find it very annoying and not funny if I were on the receiving end.

The slap thing's not really my sense of humour either, but I did love how Stana sassily responded to that by saying "Mr. Fillion knows better" lol than to have her on the receiving end of one.  I think he fake-slapped her once (slapped his own hand) in bloopers, and Molly as well.  I'd imagine in this day and age, any guy would be careful not to slap a woman even as a joke in the workplace to avoid it being misconstrued.  Maybe it's guy humour 'cause I remember Seamus funnily asking why Nathan hadn't slapped him after he'd flubbed a line, and I think Jon and Nathan did a bit where Jon turned the slapping back against Nathan.  I guess it's something you only do if you're really comfortable with someone and they share your sense of humour.  Hope we get some good bloopers this season, though I guess all the attention will be on the deleted scene.  Just hope it's not much to do about nothing!  It's become this mystical, elusive thing like a joint interview heh.

(edited)

DWTS starts two weeks earlier and on 22th the special off-time premiere of Forever will be in Castle's timeslot. (Forever's second episode will be on next day, 23rd wich will be its regular slot.)

In addition to the DWTS lead in, I guess it’s an honour? They wanna snatch some Castle viewers ... with “Eric Vaughn”;-)

The Blacklist continues on September, 22 but NCIS LA luckily starts its new season also on September, 29.

Edited by Sonik Tooth

Don't know if this is PR speak, but hopes for much real change definitely going down.  And I guess AM/TM may be writing 7.02. 

I do wonder about their division of responsibilities. I think generally it might make sense to have two people at the top, the management person who takes care of finance, scheduling, hiring, overall organization and the creative person who is in charge of the writers room, of the storylines, of the characters and makes sure that everything fits from the writing room to editing. Uh, and I would like to introduce a new management tool (if it doesn’t exist yet…): The equivalent of Learning Outcomes in HE, asking the hard questions of What do you want to achieve with that story, How does this episode fit into a greater connection and context of the season, What do we learn about the characters, What are their contributions to the story, Is that a plothole or something worse :-)

I do wonder about their division of responsibilities. I think generally it might make sense to have two people at the top, the management person who takes care of finance, scheduling, hiring, overall organization and the creative person who is in charge of the writers room, of the storylines, of the characters and makes sure that everything fits from the writing room to editing. Uh, and I would like to introduce a new management tool (if it doesn’t exist yet…): The equivalent of Learning Outcomes in HE, asking the hard questions of What do you want to achieve with that story, How does this episode fit into a greater connection and context of the season, What do we learn about the characters, What are their contributions to the story, Is that a plothole or something worse :-)

I think that's great if they keep those division of responsibilities but the problem comes when you have two bosses with one or both of them trying to encroach into each others supposed areas of control.   

Don't know if this is PR speak, but hopes for much real change definitely going down.  And I guess AM/TM may be writing 7.02.  Darn, I was really hoping for TPW's writing to help get the show out of its hole.  7.02 will likely be where the climatic resolution comes in and I did not want AM writing Caskett for that moment.

http://www.givememyremote.com/remote/2014/07/15/abc-at-tca-paul-lee-on-the-castle-showrunner-change/

Yeah any hopes of true change I think are failing fast, my initial euphoria has well and truly worn off.  Sounds like it's a Marlowe solo effort for 7.02 which is disappointing because he hasn't got a clue how to write decent emotional scenes for this couple - at least not recently. Like you I figure we'll get our Caskett reunion at that point. I'm already preparing myself that we might get a scenario similar to their dip into the Hudson when the much anticipated rescue occurred off screen and instead we saw them exchanging polite smiles and drinking coffee afterwards.

The slapping - even once would be too much for me but yeah may be it's a guy thing. I hope the deleted scene is worth it too, it would be nice to have a few more seconds committed to the old memory banks of them looking as if they both desperately want each other as I doubt we will ever see that level of heat again between them. I adored the combination of love and passion they conveyed for each other which is why that moment in Always is so special despite the choppy editing and poor lighting, that was one milestone moment they didn't screw up amazingly, I'll give MilMar credit for that.

• Love 3

Castle and Beckett act like a couple that's been married for 40 years! No, I'm lying. My parents have been married for 41 and they don't act like castle/Beckett, Castle acts like the worse fear Beckett had about being w. him .. like he'd lose interest once he'd slept w. her. No I don't want them having sex on every single surface but I'd like them to act like they want to. lol. Seriously. 

3XK needs to be wrapped up in S7, that's another story arc that's (almost) outlived it's entertainment value for me. And I'm sure by the end of the season I'll be begging for it to be put down.  You can only be a super evil genius serial killer staying one step ahead of the game for so long before it gets very boring. 

Yeah unfortunately that's exactly what he's turned into - the guy who loses interest once he gets the gal. I don't believe that's what I'm meant to be thinking obviously but that's just how it comes across.

• Love 1
(edited)

It appears from the Paul Lee TCA comments that Marlowe still has a big role in the show and he must have written 7x2 since Paul Lee said that he has read one of his episodes. It presents that Amann has been assigned by ABC as really more of a babysitter in order to watch over the direction of the show. Hopefully, this means no Castle love child will show up in S7 before the wedding or no baby from Beckett's college days that she put up for adoption will come forward after all these years or worse Beckett won't have 3XK's baby in the S7 finale.  Amann's job will be to put the kibosh on these kind of stories in order to save S8.

Edited by VinceW

I don't think Amann is a babysitter whatsoever. I think it is what it has been presented as: Another schlub to deal with the day to day while Marlowe branches out, potentially.

As a matter of fact, it's how the "other show" has operated for years, especially when Hart Hanson went to work on The Finder, his other Fox show. Once that went belly up, he resumed co-operations with Stephen Nathan. But now, once again, Hart Hanson has Backstrom in the pipeline, so Stephen Nathan is now de facto show runner, although Hart Hanson still has a say.

I think the same applies here, even though Marlowe has no IMMEDIATE new show on hand.

On a side note, with all the talk of lack of photoshoots or whatever for Castle before, it's sort of amusing to note Bones has released its Comic Con pic for SDCC '14 - and is an unreleased pic from Season...5.

So clearly pic stuff really is all about the money, honey. So Castle recycles for the same reason, I've no doubt!

Castle EPs Talk Finale Twist: 'Fans Are Going to Be Happy It Wasn't a Dream'

We’re looking to open up some really interesting aspects of storytelling for the Castle character, who hasn’t been as deeply explored as Beckett over the past six years — and we’re really excited by that opportunity.”

At least they know that the character the show is named after has been short changed on the story arcs in the past. This is the most interesting thing about this article. I'm not into Amann or Marlowe paying me lip service anymore. I'll watch and see what I like or don't like. 

My goodness! Nathan Fillion does comedy well but the man can do dramatic just as well and for his talents to have been wasted for six fucking season is a shame to the TV Gods! You wait 6 seasons to make the show about the character the show is names after?! SMH. 

(edited)
'Fans Are Going to Be Happy It Wasn't a Dream'

Marlowe's really out of touch with his audience isn't he? Lots of people were hoping it was a dream.  But other than that, I do kind of like what they're saying.  Not as much as a I would have liked them to just get freaking married in the finale, but better than some scenarios I can think of.  At least considering what they could do after that awful ending.

Also, I think "new mythology" is the new "organic."  

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 1

Adds Marlowe: “And when the fans see what we are doing, they’re going to be happy that it’s not a dream. We did what we did for a reason — to open up some new mythology, to have some really fun storytelling coming up. Those fans who are less-than-thrilled should reserve judgement until they see the first few shows of the season.”

Where did I hear that before ? Yeah lets just wait and see how the season starts and go from there.

We’re looking to open up some really interesting aspects of storytelling for the Castle character, who hasn’t been as deeply explored as Beckett over the past six years — and we’re really excited by that opportunity

You don't say. Castle's character has been neglected all this time ? Who whispered that into your ear ?  I'm really looking forward to that one BUT only if it's more than the Spydaddy crap they fed us over the last two seasons.

(edited)

Amnan sounds exactly like Marlowe. 

For starters, and to put a final nail in any scurrilous speculation, Amann was not promoted to showrunner in the name of “undoing” any perceived problems with the May finale, which left bride Beckett discovering the fiery wreckage of her groom’s car.

Heh "scurrilous speculation", the fact that's the very first thing up as an intro to the interview shows they know how bad the critical fall out was from that craptastic finale. 

The only interesting bit in that lot of reassuring spin for the fans was that they seem to be planning to make it a more Castle centric season and rectify the chronic neglect of his character which (a) I find highly amusing given that Castle is the title character of the show and yet only now are they going to spend time on him and (b) I'll believe it when I see it. Marlowe promised similar back in S5 and I'm still waiting.  Oh I did get the "Jordan" incident and then they forgot all about it or may be that was their version of serious character development, hard to know now when it comes to this show. 

Seems there are "questions" that are going to be raised for Caskett to explore which feels like them laying the groundwork for stalling on the wedding with said questions needing no doubt to be answered before they can tie the knot. 

CASTLE: Andrew Marlowe and David Amann on Their Job Shifts at GMMR

So basically no real change. Oh well it was nice to foolishly dream for a while.

“We’re hoping to set something up with ABC,” Marlowe said. “We had a project we sold last year, Terri [Edda Miller, Marlowe's frequent co-writer/producing partner] and I, that because of the challenges of CASTLE last season, we had to roll to this development year. So in a few months, I could probably do that and this at the same time. The last couple of years, CASTLE has been all-consuming. I love it, I just want a little bit less of it.” 

Sounds like that "Marlowe" detective show may have been picked they discussed in Austin and is now ready for development. If that keeps him away from doing interviews in the coming months along with his passive aggressive wife then I'm all for it. 

On Wednesday, July 16, Castle is filming off of Wickland Rd in Calabasas, CA.

http://www.onlocationvacations.com/2014/07/16/castle-season-7-begins-filming-in-los-angeles-on-july-16/

I didn't keep a track of filming locations for 6.23 but what's the betting that's the crash site.  I recall them filming at some ranch during the final days. 

Edited by verdana

Hacklowe talking about how all consuming Castle has been this season is really depressing. I mean, what exactly is he busy doing? Making sure there wasn't a pay off after talking about a wedding ad nausem for the back nine episodes? Presiding over gems like Law and Boreder or Time Will Tell? Helping Luke make sure that all Fillion's costumes make him look like a 90 year old manatee? I honestly mean it. What the hell is this man so busy doing?.

You guys will know when the unaired footage from Always gets out. It's very clear what's going on - simply because it's the rest of the scene in Always. In Always we see her lead him to the bedroom. It's a reverse shot of that action that ends with him laying her down on the bed and climbing on top of her. God it was good.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hacklowe talking about how all consuming Castle has been this season is really depressing. I mean, what exactly is he busy doing? Making sure there wasn't a pay off after talking about a wedding ad nausem for the back nine episodes? Presiding over gems like Law and Boreder or Time Will Tell? Helping Luke make sure that all Fillion's costumes make him look like a 90 year old manatee? I honestly mean it. What the hell is this man so busy doing?.

No idea but all that supposed hard work sure as hell isn't showing up on screen that often when it comes to the overall quality of the show if anything it's getting worse each season.  If I could see where his all consuming passion was for this show then I'd say yeah mate you deserve a break and put your feet up a bit but I don't see it. 

Edited by verdana

Read a comment in the TVLine interview .. someone saying that Nathan's hissy fit payed off. 4 day work weeks and he finally gets the story focused back on him. lol. IF true, he should have done it 3 seasons ago. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah I saw that too, it's gained currency with some folks obviously.  Although I haven't been following his career that long in comparison to some Nathan has never struck me as the hissy fit kind. Seems like a team player. And if he wants a 4 day week you would think he'd be thrilled not to get extra work so this gossip suggesting he demanded a great focus on Castle sounds even more bizarre. 

Edited by verdana

Well, at least it SOUNDS like Castie/Beckett won't be torn apart by whatever this " new mythology" is. I'd rather the two of them just get married already, but this latest interview at least calmed a few fears for me.

(edited)
We’re looking to open up some really interesting aspects of storytelling for the Castle character, who hasn’t been as deeply explored as Beckett over the past six years — and we’re really excited by that opportunity.

Oh, the irony of not having deeply explored your titular character over the past 6 years... but it's probably lost on AM since he made the remark. ;)

Is that the reason why they can't be married yet, because it turns out Beckett hasn't explored the depths of Castle's character enough? ;)    

I am glad that AM brought up Castle's character for once, if a bit too late, but firmly count me in the "I'll see it when I believe it" camp, and that goes for everything Castle these days.

Problem is, I haven't felt that AM had a good handle on Castle's character (as I like to envisage him) in a long while.  RH and TPW are the ones I trust more with Castle's character especially.  The Castle in No.1Fan & in Still is the Castle I'd like to see more of.   I hope they remember to write a Richard Castle that a strong, attractive woman like Beckett would fall in love with.

I really hope AM's idea of exploring Castle doesn't include any douchebaggery, flight attendants, exploration of why he prefers Scrabble & video games to sex with Beckett 'cause that all left a terrible taste in my mouth. ;)  I'm not too keen on exploring Castle's "walls" (TM Meredith) either if they do in fact exist, as I've always felt he's been reasonably open and honest with Beckett.   And NO secret love child, please!  And preferably, no secret murderous impulses.  I think exploring his sense of guilt/responsibility re 3XK could be interesting, together with his interest in the macabre that's not been fully explained beyond him wanting to know 'the story'.   Exploring his identity as a writer could be interesting. 

I've generally liked the storytelling for Castle re his Dad's storyline, but most everything else has been a miss lately, namely, his storytelling with Alexis as a father (too doormat-y in the whole Pi fiasco; less depth overall since she's been in college and become more bratty), and his storytelling as Beckett's lover (still waiting on that ;)), and husband to be (his support of her in DC was good but we got little meaningful storytelling after).  We haven't had any storytelling about himself as a professional author cum cop follower.  

I thought they did a pretty crappy job when they tried to make Beckett too damaged, and Castle too much of a douchebag, in character arcs in the past, so I hope whatever they have planned, the characters can stay true to the ones we first fell in love with, and characterisation can be done with nuance and depth, instead of superficial, ridiculous melodrama like Beckett's first marriage.

"We have some interesting answers when they come back. Or, at least, more interesting questions.”

And those questions won't be answered until the S7 finale?  Just learning that AM didn't intend for S6 to end with a wedding, and yet plotted the season as he did, showed me again that he doesn't really know how to chart/build a season well.  I hope he remembers some genuine payoff is necessary and not endless frustration, and stops with dumb attempts to keep us wanting more by not giving us what we want. ;)

Marlowe's really out of touch with his audience isn't he? Lots of people were hoping it was a dream. 

I do wonder whether he realises he lost a lot of goodwill with the finale, not only with the ending, but with what he did with Beckett (not to mention the last few subpar seasons), or does he only look at the numbers and believes he's doing well.  I wonder whether he realises a fair number of people were actually happy to see a change in showrunner and hoping for a change in vision, or does he really think people were afraid what the show would be like without him and so he's sought to reassure people multiple times that he's really in charge.

Also, I think "new mythology" is the new "organic."

Heh, too true.  Which will end up smellier, I wonder?  You should suggest this as the title for the 'General Discussion' thread.

AM really needs to be more creative (prefer direct honesty, actually ;)) in his interviews, or perhaps he is saving his (limited?) Castle creative energies for actual writing? ;)  

Also, SO tired of the animosity from different camps that always creeps into Castle comment threads.  Why can't people like both characters and actors, or at least not tear one of them down to build up your favourite?  And I wish people would stop taking things that have never been proven and repeat them ad nauseum as fact because they happen to fit with their own prejudices.  Gotta wonder about the state of education when people so easily believe regurgitate and believe things written without sources on rubbish entertainment sites.  (Side note: love that George Clooney gave the Daily Mail a piece of his mind.)

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1
(edited)

If Castle does have amnesia, to whatever extent, then it's unlikely they'll show his side of things in opening 2 parter because they'll want to keep what he went through a mystery to the audience.  Which would be a pity, because I was hoping that this supposed deeper exploration of Castle's character in S7 could start with his reaction to his tortuous ordeal, and show his fighting back to be with his family.

I prefer 3XK to be the culprit rather than another enemy of dear old Dad 'cause they already did that in Target/Hunt, and 3XK is due for a reappearance after Disciple, though they really stretched the bounds of credibility with what he could do in absentia last time around!  As long as he didn't clone Castle like he did the others....that would really be a disastrous plot.

Still a bit sceptical about these clues that supposedly exist in the finale that we've surprisingly missed, as per Mr. JML.

Edited by madmaverick

Time to eat some crows: I was obviously too optimistic about the background and the potential impact of the showrunner change. Too bad.

The good news: i have an ever growing list of the "should watch" shows, now I'm going to have an extra hour. 

"new mythology is the new organic" - thanks KaveDweller, that was spot on. :)

• Love 2

Marlowe, or was it Amann, said fans would be happy the finale wasn't a dream? Only way that could be a true statement is if Jerry Tyson [or anyone - I'm not picky at this point] orchestrated this whole thing. And by this whole thing? I mean the whole finale. 

• Love 2

There was a weird combinaton of tones in that interview, at once methinks-they-doth-protest-too-much desperation and disdainful condescension. Not encouraging.

As to what is being heralded for S7, I'll believe it when I see it (and that's IF I'm not further discouraged from seeing it). In other words, Show, Don't Tell.

• Love 1
(edited)

And those questions won't be answered until the S7 finale?  Just learning that AM didn't intend for S6 to end with a wedding, and yet plotted the season as he did, showed me again that he doesn't really know how to chart/build a season well.  I hope he remembers some genuine payoff is necessary and not endless frustration, and stops with dumb attempts to keep us wanting more by not giving us what we want. ;)

Marlowe loves frustrating fans, he thinks that's what they really want even if they don't realise they do. Seeing Caskett happy and married without drama and angst of some kind for them to overcome would be dull, they would rather introduce elements which yet again simply delayed things. I'm expecting the "new mythology" to be just as bothersome as the wedding planning was last season.  The only feedback Marlowe cares about are the ratings and as last season was the "most watched season ever" - that's all the validation he needs. 

Nathan is reprising his role as Green Lantern in the upcoming animated movie Justice League: Throne of Atlantis. Link.

Edited by verdana

I think it is just PR.  I'm not sure the actors realize how much bullshit it is, they probably just repeat what they're told to say about it.  But ABC and likely Marlowe know it's bullshit.  Or at least I hope Marlowe knows that because otherwise he doesn't deserve to be EP.

I'm still confused by this most watched season ever thing. Some episodes this season hit demo lows not seen since season one. Is this just PR bullshit or ...?

Yes, it's mostly PR, but remember that demo numbers are subject to ... inflation? I don't know if that's an apt comparison, but numbers that would have gotten a show canceled (even) in 2009 are decent nowadays. There was less competition, especially from cable networks. If a show keeps its demo (or something relatively close), it's doing well.

A network would rather have a workhorse like Castle that can keep decently steady numbers than a flash hit like Under the Dome - where they start out big in the demo and then bleed those numbers away week after week.

If you have been following the Guardians of the Galaxy speculation:

Much has been made of who Nathan Fillion will play. Rumors had suggested the possibility of either Nova or Cosmo, but he is neither. Fillion will be made up as a ‘Monstrous Inmate.’ It will be interesting to see if he is even recognizable in his role.

If he talks he will be recognized.

(edited)

I'm still confused by this most watched season ever thing. Some episodes this season hit demo lows not seen since season one. Is this just PR bullshit or ...? 

The last season was the most watched season regarding the average total L+7 audience. That's the fact.

Correction features:

- total audience isn't a really relevant point, because that's not which makes the money - L+7 total audience is even less important.

- The show started on a high note thanks to the expectations of the proposal, Valkyrie had an almost 16 million total L+7 audience. It was more than a million higher than the number of Watershed. What's more important, the L+7 rating also grew from the typical 0.9-1.0 weekly increase to 1.2. (That much about the "all the numbers are always shrinking, it's natural" apology.)

- Instead of managing to keep this new audience, from the restart in January, both the L+SD and the L+7 numbers started to slide all across the table. The bad thing was that the L+7 numbers shrinked on their own too, and lost that extra 0.2 ratings what they appealed in the beginning of the season. To translate it to IRL: people who decided to watch the show at least on DVR in September, didn't find it worth to record in May.

- Thanks to the spike in the beginning of the season, the yearly average on that one field was the highest despite the later decrease, but the statistical row of the quarters gives a better picture. Check the bottom table on this page, it shows how the numbers went down:

Jimmy Ryan's Castle S6 Statistics

Edited by halaciHU