Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: True Believer

The return of Preacher James brings an ominous new energy to the town, especially for Bellamy who seems to have a strange and unnerving connection to him. Now a detainee at the government facility, Margaret keeps to herself but her reputation precedes her and the other returned definitely take notice. Then the unthinkable happens to Henry which shakes everybody's faith to their core.

No big surprise -- Pastor James is performing miracles, except the only miracle is that he somehow has control of the Resurrected queue order ?  Did Pastor James just take over Pastor Tom's old church (his original church before he left and started the Church of the Resurrected) ?  Because how does a stranger with no money and no home suddenly take over a church ?  How did he even know that church didn't have a preacher ?  Did the bossy old bitty from the church committee have flyers advertising the open paster position scattered around town ?

And if Mrs. Henderson's husband just died 2 days ago, why isn't she at the funeral home, you know, for the viewing ? 

Marty's vision about the crop mark in the ground and the insects charging out of the ground was a dream, but somehow he is sharing these dreams with Pastor James.

Rachel was driving around for 3 days after killing Janine and only now decided to come back to Arcadia.  And she admitted to Maggie that she basically murdered Janine, but that's no big deal since no one really dies in this town.

For some reason, the Federal Resurrected Facility has turned into Orange is the New Black -- and Bitchy Grandma is the Chapman. And now they are talking prison break.  What other shows are they going to ripoff ideas from ?

I know killing Henry is supposed to be some master stroke of storytelling, but in a town where no one stays dead, it just comes off as lazy.  Pastor Tom should be back anytime now with Janine.

And for good measure, now we have magic and ghosts/spirits -- Lucille's watch suddenly stopped when Henry died (magic !!) and Marty saw a vision of Henry when he died (Ghosts !!).   When are the sparkly vampires and werewolves going to show up ?  Or witches maybe ?

Aha -- they were cicadas !!!

Pastor James: "I need one of you to kill me, I'll be back with Henry in about an hour".  Is Pastor James the Lenscrafters of Resurrections ? Why didn't he have to die to get Mr. Henderson resurrected.  Then Blam !!! -- Fred kills him.  Which I thought was funny that Fred was so nonchalant about it -- Bellamy was all no, no, no on the idea but Fred just pulled the trigger.

It's been hours, lets go look for him.  And then Fred and Bellamy proceed to drive all over town looking for Henry or Pastor James.  Did they check the Factory ??

BG is unphased by Henry's death -- until she's alone and Randy the sympathetic former prison guard overhears her crying.  Awwwwe !!!!!  BG is a big old softie at heart, with a outer shell made of cast iron.

Sometime during the last 3-4 days, they managed to have a funeral and burial for Pastor Tom -- all off screen.  You would think that Tom would get more than that from this show, which makes me think he'll be back soon too.  Is Deputy Carl still on the loose ?  Did Fred even bother to look for the killer ?

Ta-daa !!!! Henry's back and Pastor James too !!!   As soon as Bellamy stated that Henry was NEVER coming back (how would he know that ?) and Lucille bought into the premise, that Henry would be knocking on the front door.

At least Fred called and let BG know that Henry was back.

Are Bellamy and Pastor James going to make out in that car -- parked at the end of a empty road, miles from no where ?  Let the erotic slash fanfic begin !!!

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4

Fred has always been kind of a quirky character.  You never know what he's going to do.  I didn't used to like him because he did mean things but they basically changed his character and have made him a lot more tolerable.  Now tonight they even had him say that he was sorry for trying to take Jacob away (a slight touch of the Continuity Fairy's wand, perhaps?) and then he just shot the stupid reverend while Bellamy was saying no way are we going to shoot you.  That was fun and made me laugh.

How come that gov't stooge/guard/whatever he is sits idly by while that meek woman's glasses were stolen, yet he takes the time to bring Bitchy Grandma a sandwich and stands outside her room listening to her cry, as if he cares about her feelings?  For that matter, why are they treating the Returned like prisoners?  It was like the Shawshank Redemption in there.  There should be some kind of recourse if there are troublemakers stealing other Returneds' belongings, and if there is stealing going on, that is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

• Love 2

Fred shooting Pastor James so nonchalantly was easily the funniest moment of the series. Fred has become one of the best characters on the show (who am I kidding, he's the only one who was ever given a personality. Quite a few, in fact).

I'm not sure if that scene was supposed to be funny, but I gave me a good laugh. 

• Love 1

Margaret said she knew Preacher James when she was a little girl, but his gravestone said he died in 1934 and she hadn't been born yet.

Sure she had.  Margaret died a little bit before Jacob, IIRC.  He died in 1982, so say she died around 1980.

Didn't she say she was 53 at the time?  1980 - 53 = 1927.  She would have probably been around 7 at the time of the flood - plenty of time to form memories.

What year was the factory fire?  Was it also 1934?  Margaret was 10 that year, so she could have even been born as early as 1924 (meaning she would have died in 1977 or 78.)  Jacob would have been 4 at the time and could certainly have memories of his grandma.

Regardless, Margaret was certainly alive in 1934!  Maybe we tend to forget how many years have passed since the late 70's/early 80's?  (I know I sure do!)

• Love 1

Fred [over Henry's body]: I tried to have his son taken away. I did that.

Fred's next line in my head: Until the writers reinvented my character.

[several scene's later Fred shoots the pastor.]

Me [Erasing line in my head]: Or not.

...Rachel was driving around for 3 days after killing Janine and only now decided to come back to Arcadia.  And she admitted to Maggie that she murdered Janine, but that's no big deal since no one really dies in this town....

Did she? Rachel also told Maggie she wasn't afraid of Janine anymore, that she wasn't going to let her hurt her again--or something like that. I thought maybe Rachel doesn't think she killed Janine--just knocked her out like they do on TV, ya know, where nobody ever has a concussion or brain damage. But I really don't remember what happened.
  • Love 1

Fred shooting Pastor James so nonchalantly was easily the funniest moment of the series..

Definitely.  I didn't strike as bad, because PJ wanted to be shot.

When Rachel asked Maggie where she was going to live, I suggested Pastor Tom's.  It's not like anyone is using it now!

I'm going to miss making fun of this mess when it goes off the air.

(Tonight came a moment I've been dreading since this show started -- my wife asked why all these people can come back, but not her sisters.  It didn't last long, but with a show called Resurrection, I expected it to come.)

• Love 1

I'm not sure if that scene was supposed to be funny, but I gave me a good laugh. 

It was freakin hilarious. They should have just gone ahead and treated it as funny, because the show has become such a hot mess now anyway, might as well turn it into a comedy. Well, I mean an intentional comedy. 

I finally watched last night and caught in one of the  ads that there are only "two more episodes". Since there is no chance  this will be renewed, that must mean we are not getting any kind of a wrap up. This really annoys me. Networks should allow a series like this to film a finale so everyone who wasted time watching it doesn't feel cheated,

Of course, the writers are probably glad they don't have to wrap this up since it seems clear they have no idea where they are going.

I am sure this must have been brought up here before, but what stuck me last night after Henry's little trip to the beyond and back is why the hell no one asks about it? I mean isn't what happens when  you die one of the great mysteries of all time? Is there a heaven? Are your depared loved ones really there to greet you?  There is controversy about the people who have clinically "died" and claim to have seen these things. Many scientists insist it is just games your mind plays on you when you are near death. . Yet here you have a town freakin full of people who were definitely dead and buried yet no one even asks?

Yeah, that's belivable.

Edited by chlban
  • Love 1

I am sure this must have been brought up here before, but what stuck me last night after Henry's little trip to the beyond and back is why the hell no one asks about it? I mean isn't what happens when  you die one of the great mysteries of all time?

I think they skimmed it once -- that people aren't aware of any time passing between their death and their return.  That lets them off the hook for any sort of after-life.

I think they skimmed it once -- that people aren't aware of any time passing between their death and their return.  That lets them off the hook for any sort of after-life.

That's what makes Pastor James even more out of the ordinary than the average Resurrected -- obviously there is something going on if he is able to be resurrected with the person of his choice (he died saying he would come back with Henry and he did) at the location of his choice (since they didn't show up in China or somewhere else) at the time of his choice (within hours of dying, not 70 or so years after his first death).

Which means he's interacting with the powers at be that are in charge of the Resurrection process -- while he's dead.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
So why did Pastor James say he couldn't bring Pastor Tom back?

Who knows ?  But shouldn't he be able to bring everybody that has died back now that he has proven he is connected to what's going on -- including the Resurrected that died of the virus ?

And how did he bring Mrs. Henderson's husband back without dying first (since he said he can't kill himself) ?

• Love 1

It was freakin hilarious. They should have just gone ahead and treated it as funny, because the show has become such a hot mess now anyway, might as well turn it into a comedy. Well, I mean an intentional comedy. 

I finally watched last night and caught in one of the  ads that there are only "two more episodes". Since there is no chance  this will be renewed, that must mean we are not getting any kind of a wrap up. This really annoys me. Networks should allow a series like this to film a finale so everyone who wasted time watching it doesn't feel cheated,

Of course, the writers are probably glad they don't have to wrap this up since it seems clear they have no idea where they are going.

I am sure this must have been brought up here before, but what stuck me last night after Henry's little trip to the beyond and back is why the hell no one asks about it? I mean isn't what happens when  you die one of the great mysteries of all time? Is there a heaven? Are your depared loved ones really there to greet you?  There is controversy about the people who have clinically "died" and claim to have seen these things. Many scientists insist it is just games your mind plays on you when you are near death. . Yet here you have a town freakin full of people who were definitely dead and buried yet no one even asks?

Yeah, that's belivable.

I bolded some of the above.

I missed them saying that there are only 2 episodes left.  That's really a bummer if they're not going to be able to give some kind of wrap up.  I don't know if they can do it in 2, even if they had prior warning.  Poo poo.  :(

I think Bitchy Grandma and Jacob talked to each other about not remembering much of anything when they died, and various characters may have brought it up a couple of other times.  It doesn't seem believable that characters who haven't died wouldn't be clamoring to ask the Returned what it was like, though.