Type keyword(s) to search

Dig - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Lovemy, I can see how the driver's death & her breakdown may have been shown to humanize her. But it would have helped if they had characterized her first. None of us even care about her, we've been given no reason to.

Something else I just realized. Before seeing the ep I thought maybe we would learn something about Emma's actual father rather than Peter as her father substitute. Now that I've seen the ep the title is even more gag

inducing because the "father" turns out to be Peter. They really should have left out the sexual overtones of his meeting her and that swim in the pond. It was unnecessary and makes his relationship just creepy.

Unless Peter sexually molested his own daughter and that's why she killed herself. But did they/do they really want to go there?

Edited by kat165
  • Love 3

Unless Peter sexually molested his own daughter and that's why she killed herself. But did they/do they really want to go there?

That phone message she sent him -- that he plays back from time to time even now -- showed a young woman full of life and vibrancy.  Hearing that, it made no sense to me to learn later that she committed suicide.  I wonder if she actually did? 

I'm finding a lot of unintentional humor in this series and I think Anne Heche is in on it. I find her pretty hilarious. This plot is byzantine at best, but I appreciate that they had the kernal of a good story: rebuilding the temple to bring on the end of the world. This is a pretty good example of overdoing it though. I think a more direct, more focused narrative could have been developed.

• Love 3

This plot is byzantine at best, but I appreciate that they had the kernal of a good story: rebuilding the temple to bring on the end of the world. This is a pretty good example of overdoing it though. I think a more direct, more focused narrative could have been developed.

Agree completely.  The rebuilding of the temple and the apocalyptic prophecies would have provided more than enough compelling material without needing to pile on all the side plots.  

Really? This would be more suspenseful if I understood any of the rules.

I hope the Essene guy takes Avram and Red to Euro Disney.

Well animal sacrifice is all over the bible, so it is something I'm assuming...they certainly don't have temple pets :-)

kikaha, your comment is part of the reason I'd like to think that we will learn more about his actual daughter rather than have her be one of those soap opera elements. I don't remember the phone messages from his daughter so I can't really comment on them. But it's not unusual for someone to seem cheerful/happy before they off themselves. Deciding to finally go through with it can be a huge relief which can temporarily lighten a person up. Sad to say.

But I too wonder if she really committed suicide, if she's actually dead. But he did see her body in the morgue. We didn't see her, but that might not even matter. He probably can't understand why she did it just like he can't figure out why Emma was murdered.

Captanne, if he really did molest her that makes this whole storyline even creepier than it is. I do hope there is some sort of payoff as to why Peter has connected Emma's death with his daughter's.

Ganesh, I can see why you're finding Heche to be the comic relief. Sort of gives her a reason for being there. And I can see the humor in it too. What little storyline she's given is so bad it's funny.

A more focused narrative would be a blessed relief!

Yeah, but I think Heche knows she's got not much to work with and is just letting it rip. I mean, she was positively gleeful with the "I just gave him a ride" line. 

• Love 1
(edited)

kat165, if he really molested his daughter (and I'm not implying that but riffing off your suggestion), then I'm OUT.

First of all, it would be so secondary to the main plot (I would think) and would be so fucking distracting because it's so heinous (and would undermine the "hero" character they are attempting to create) -- the bad writing would be the *epic*, not the chest plate.

Second of all, why?  Why would that be a character trait?  How does that advance his character?  

But, the idea caught my eye because I'm almost as distracted by the "naked swimming with his daughter-clone" and the stoopid song.  (Jesus, didn't the writers realize that Paul Williams wrote that for the Muppets in the 70s?) It was written for children -- does that mean they are saying marijuana makes you like children's songs?  Or that an adult woman such as his daughter was really infantilized?  Or that she had a learning disability -- because, for a group of high people to randomly think that song is cute is one thing (it is*), but for a writing/production/creative team to think that song, in particular, is the one to choose to represent the daughter's deep, inner rainbow?  Have you HEARD the lyrics?  They are for children.  Sweet, yes, but sending a message about his daughter that is remotely meaningful?  No.  

From Canby:  Vincent Canby of The New York Times offered equal praise, stating that the film "demonstrates once again that there's always room in movies for unbridled amiability when it's governed by intelligence and wit."[11]  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Muppet_Movie

Can you imagine if she'd been singing Annie's, "The Sun'll Come Out Tomorrow"?  

It's not deep, it's comically out of place.

*Paul Williams wrote some GREAT songs.  Rainbow Connection was for the Muppet Movie.  The Muppet Movie is simplistic.  I love me some Muppets and I am the first to recommend Jim Hensen's team and, God knows, Farscape.  But, Hensen knew his audience.  The Farscape audience was one thing, the Muppet Movie was quite another.

It's just gross, all the way around. 

[/rant off]

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

I don't think Peter molested his daughter.  Peter drew away from Emma -- this beautiful young woman who looked ready to fulfill most men's fantasy with him -- precisely because she reminded him of her. 

I do think Emma did not just encounter Peter by chance.  (Even in that very first scene, she didn't look disturbed to see a stranger pointing a gun in her direction.)  I think she chose him, after learning lots about him.  I think she purposely mimicked his daughter, as another way to get to him.  Too many coincidences otherwise. 

While the show is far from perfect, I definitely want to see the answers to the various mysteries it has raised. 

• Love 5

Captanne, I agree with you completely. But I'm going to stick it out until the end even if this is true, which I hope it's not. I like kikaha's point which turns it completely around and makes sense and I'm ok with that. In fact, that's so much better! Thanks, kikaha.

That's part of the problem with this show, Captanne, that ultimately I don't really care either. I'm barely engaged. Which is disappointing as it could have been so much better. I'm willing to see how it all pans out though.

I want to see how the separate plot lines merge. That's about it. And I feel bad for the girl stuck in the compound. Well, she was rescued. The actor always seems to play off beat characters. Ann Heche has been pretty hilarious throughout. 

I thought the funniest part was when the cabdriver said to Lynn (Heche) about Peter, "Does he want a ride?" And Lynn said, "I already gave him a ride."

Who was he and why was she so upset when he died?

He wasn't a cabdriver and that wasn't a cab; it seemed to me that was a government provided car for her official use and he was her regular driver.  I'm thinking the banter with the driver, and the distress over his death, were meant to humanize her character.

• Love 2

He wasn't a cabdriver and that wasn't a cab; it seemed to me that was a government provided car for her official use and he was her regular driver.  I'm thinking the banter with the driver, and the distress over his death, were meant to humanize her character.

Yes, I think it was meant to humanize Lynn. This is from tvfanatic.com, and I think they put it well:

I wish Lynn's most substantial installment to date wasn't one in which she started out with a tumble in the hay and a bit of fun with her driver and bodyguard only to learn how very alone she really is in the world and feeling responsible for her bodyguard's death.

She pushed it by going to the embassy despite Narvad's suggestion they do something different and seeing them both dragged from the car brought up those terrible Homeland memories. Lynn has been there for Peter and she saved his ass more than once.

They never defined what they were to each other, but it was safe for her to assume if she suffered an attack like that she might be able to count on him to pay her a visit sometime before the wee hours of the night. She couldn't. Instead she was left to break down in her kitchen alone, believing herself responsible for Narvad's death.

It was the greatest performance we've seen from Anne Heche so far and even though the end result put an end to their non-romantic affair, I'm glad we got to see her do something other than prop up Jason Isaacs.

• Love 1

Finally caught up. Add me to the chase eye-rollers. Comical! Except not funny. Run Chasey 'Khalid' Chasington, run! Fortunately you can FF through them.

Same with Debbie and guy's escape--a chase ends one of two ways. Though with Debbie and guy, as was mentioned above I have no idea why they brought the kid with them. What do they care about him? Especially the boyfriend. Even if they did care they should have just got good and away first, to say Albuquerque, with cultists not then interested in chasing them probably. Then met with the FBI there and tried to organize a proper rescue effort afterwards. If FBI not interested, then forget about it.

I guess the reason is they signed Lauren Ambrose on and they have to use her.

Depending on the situation, it only matters if a chase succeeds, or not. It only matters if Debbie escapes. Spending episode minutes showing her failing to escape and being chained in a room doesn't move the plot along. Unless that cultist she was talking to later has a change of heart.

Likewise the incompetent Khalid chases didn't matter unless they caught him. Him being shot in the leg didn't matter. The part where they patched him up in the hospital and he hobbled out against the protestation of the doctor (trope!) didn't matter. He might as well have stubbed his toe while digging out the mosaic, and not been chased. Unless the purpose was to show that our heroes are incompetent at chasing.

I also didn't get the 'sacrifice' part of Khalid's suicide. And they buried the stone near him, so that...er, I lost track at that point. Meaning the sacrifice of suicide was part of a ruse that forwarded their cause? The actor is listed in ten episodes in IMDB which no, please.

The incoherence is reminiscent of The Event which of course set the standard for variations of pointless running-around. Isaacs was great in Case Histories but has also been in the similarly, well differently, incoherent Awake which had great promise but fizzled away. He is like that other Jason--O'Mara, who continues to land roles in junky TV shows like Terra Nova aka The Event, Cretaceous-style.

The location scenery is terrific--we don't get enough of that in the US. It's nice to see somewhere that isn't Vancouver pretending to be somewhere else. In The Event LA pretended to be Atlanta, Oklahoma, Murmansk, Romania. Gack. Here we get glimpses of real Croatia and Israel. It's also interesting how carefully the plot steers clear of the intractable real-world problems surrounding Jerusalem, in favor of a DaVinci Code-style puzzle solving caper. An homage to Rube Goldberg.

Did they say the reason for the demonstration? There was a crack about being demoted to traffic cop in Gaza, that's probably as close as we'll get to reality.

This show has WAY too many commercial breaks and commercials within the breaks. There can't be more than 30 minutes of program time. As if it isn't hard enough to follow as it is!

What did the wink signify and why did Peter go off on the guy when he winked?

I really don't get why Peter is melting down over everything. Maybe I missed the part where he uncovered enough evidence (that major world-altering events were in the works) to justify his inability to remain rational and exercise some smidge of self-control, but since he can't possibly know all we know... how does he know it's a massive conspiracy and not just a couple of whack-jobs?

And NOW, after all THAT, Golan decides that they are buddies and calls him partner? Yeah.. being sent into a panic about my child is exactly how I would realize that the person who did it is someone I can trust and want to work with!

Maybe Golan was as tired of Anne Heche as I am and seeing her get socked in the jaw made him feel all warm and fuzzy towards Peter! ;)

I guess they needed a reason to get him back to the states where he can hook up with Debbie. ... NO, I don't mean THAT kind of hook-up!

How many more episodes are there? Cause I dont' know if I can retain interest much longer... not with 50 minutes of commercials per hour and the actual show feeling rushed and spotty in the little remaining time per episode.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 4

I think the wink was just to say 'You're right, I didn't kill Emma, but I'm confessing and there's nothing you can do about it, so you're screwed and everyone thinks you're crazy. Hah ha.'

Debbie and her boyfriend were so stupid for not going to the FBI right away. "Let's just stay in this motel for a few hours..." Yea, cause that always ends well in other shows.

I was surprised Josh 2.0 wasn't creepy this episode. Maybe he is just a brainwashed kid, but what a coincidence that he gets a devil toy.

So Emma's alive! I wasn't really expecting that. She looks pretty beat up, so I'm guessing she escaped from her captors, who faked her death. I wonder why they kept her alive at all?

And poor Avram losing Red. :( At least the guy didn't kill him. Maybe he can get him back and they go live a quite life on a farm.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 1

So Emma's alive! I wasn't really expecting that. She looks pretty beat up, so I'm guessing she escaped from her captors, who faked her death. I wonder why they kept her alive at all?

She had captors? Didn't they have her body in the morgue and that's where they took the pictures of her dead? (Or at the crime scene?)

I'm going with her being Emma 2.0, although I wouldn't be surprised if they say she was risen from the grave. Has it been 3 days yet?

Edited by slothgirl

She had captors? Didn't they have her body in the morgue and that's where they took the pictures of her dead? (Or at the crime scene?)

That was just a guess on my part, since she looked beat up and asked for Peter's help. The FBI was given photos of her body, but that doesn't mean she was actually dead, or in the morgue. We'll probably find out next week what really happened. I suppose she could have also been given some type of drug that made her appear dead.

Edited by pezgirl7

Hmm speculation time but based off her bruised and battered appearance, are we meant to deduce that Emma was kidnapped and held hostage by someone/some faction who would rather let people believe that she was dead? And that she managed to escape?

My earlier theory about her faking her death and going into hiding has no leg to stand on now with the way she appeared at the end of the episode. Although I'm glad that my earlier suspicions about her still being alive has been proven right.

I'm glad to have her back because she's still the most intriguing character in the show to me but I really really hope that they don't try to rekindle whatever icky dead-daughter doppelgänger incestuous stuff between her and Peter. And I really can't wait to see the look on Det. Cohen's face when he sees her in the flesh!

Edited by lovemytvshows
  • Love 1

Avram seems to me too good at heart to go along with the bad guys' plans.  Till now he's been their  tool, but the Essene who kidnapped him may have opened his eyes to a different path.  Is he really going to let them sacrifice that cute calf, who he is so close to, and has become a pretty sympathetic figure on this show?  

A theory on why Peter melts down so often:  for the past year (?), he's been haunted by his daughter's death.  Then he gets drawn into an international conspiracy, with global ramifications, by a young woman who bears eerie resemblances to that same daughter, and who herself (he thinks) gets killed.  So he is re-experiencing, in a way, the most unthinkable tragedy to befall a parent -- losing a child.  The wounds from his daughter's death are not even close to healed, and now he is reliving them all over again. 

My guess is that Emma alive will end up as his salvation, and maybe even show him the truth about his daughter, or at least closure over it. 

Still enjoying the show, adolescent warts and all. 

• Love 1
And poor Avram losing Red. :( At least the guy didn't kill him. Maybe he can get him back and they go live a quite life on a farm.

I like to think Red just got tired of all the shilly-shallying and though "oh for fuck's sake - I could get there faster if I ditch Avram and walk."  Red just wanted to move things along - I'm right there with him.

A theory on why Peter melts down so often

My theory: he's just very bad at his job.  He's easily side-tracked, confused about what his responsibilities are, and spends way too much time wandering around inside his own head and boffing his boss.  I think his main impediment about figuring out the whole end-the-world plot is that the plotters are so bad at it that it defies induction.

The Albuquerque cult thing is chafing my tits.  The evil reverend is both organized enough to pull off his end-the-world plans (and call Lauren Ambrose right before they can find an FBI guy to talk to her) but dumb enough to let two poorly organized idiots walk out with his home-grown antichrist.  Lauren Ambrose and her boyfriend, smart enough to get away, dumb enough to hole up still in the jurisdiction of the corrupt cop and do nothing until corrupt cop can catch up.  So this whole plot could have been averted by putting a better lock on the back door of the evil lair or by driving one town over before finding a motel.  Or by going straight to any cop except that one guy.  Or by leaving the kid where he was, alerting the FBI immediately, and having them waco the compound.  Rarely have I been so annoyed by something I'm also so bored with.

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 6

At first I couldn't believe it.

Peter and Golan chased someone around the streets of Jerusalem and caught him.  Obviously the guy must be terrible at being chased since he was caught by those two, but a win's a win.

Then the guy confessed to killing Emma Wilson and Peter became convinced that he was falsely confessing.  So the guy probably let himself get captured and just put up enough of an act to make it look good.

So P&G still haven't actual caught someone they were chasing who was actually trying to flee from them.

So they still suck.

• Love 3

It's not every show that would have the closest thing we've got to a female love  interest get socked in the jaw by our hero.  I was deeply disappointed that no one quipped "Moriah?  I hear they call the wind Moriah."

I can't bring myself to care about any of these people.  Red's probably off looking for Eurodisney - it's a better spot to raise the temple or bring about Armegeddon than Jerusalem.  That is what these people are trying to do, isn't it?  

More War Elephants!

• Love 2

Forgot to record this so watched on demand which you have to do in real time. A real chore due to all the ads. Mute and Candy Crush to the rescue.

I too was shocked by the chasers actually catching someone!  So that USB device was planted by the baddies to lead the cops to the patsy, so they'd stop looking for, the murderer I guess. Not sure why Khalid needed to die just so they could find that bit of evidence--they could have planted it somewhere.

Albuquerque is in the middle of NM so no matter what road you are on you should be able to get there in say four hours, tops. If their situation isn't a case for driving straight through, instead of stopping for the night at a hotel on the only road there is, I don't know what is. How convenient for Billingham and his henchmen! Ridiculous.

So Event-like they go around-and-around with kidnappings and hostage trading. Charlie for Josh this time. And Jason Isaacs' character is so slow on the uptake, just like his character was on Awake. Doesn't stop to think for a minute, or god forbid plan, just races off to the next thing. So is always a beat behind, surprised, then outraged, and completely unable to manage his emotions. He reacts like Moe Howard--why you, I oughta!!! Then his boss gets whanged in the head. Plus his complete disregard for her orders to drop the case in the first place and provide security instead. Finally she gives him the boot. So that knocked some temporary sense into her.

It's not only that it's unprofessional, it's that it's so cliché. Taking a wild guess, I think the previews showed this, he 'never showed up at the airport'. Because cough Event cough--nobody assigned to be escorted somewhere ends up there, ever. (Will use cliché for a while instead of trope.) Because escorts are 100% incompetent.

So he's running around rogue, a big doofus who doesn't speak the language. He'll contact Golan and Lynn who will risk their jobs by working with the now-rogue agent, because they'll finally be convinced the big doofus is ON TO SOMETHING BIG.

All I can say is, Red better make it out alive.  She is literally the only character who is competent at her job (looking adorable), and I really don't care if every other character DIAF.  I'm including my beloved Jason Isaacs in that, since he'll pop up on another show sooner rather than later.

• Love 6
So that USB device was planted by the baddies to lead the cops to the patsy, so they'd stop looking for, the murderer I guess.

They could just as easily have come up with a scheme to point to the bartender, since he was a willing patsy anyway, that did not require Khalid's suicide.

And, his death became even more pointless when Emma escaped, presuming she did escape (thanks 100% incompetent escorters/jailers!) and wasn't just let go. The bartender will now get a walk but Khalid stays dead. If I was dead Khalid I'd be pissed.

Belen is an hour drive from Albuquerque, but let's stop in this motel and rest up for a few hours. Just have a group of wackos with cops behind us, no need to rush. Also, what is so outlandish about a religious cult that the FBI wouldn't believe them?

• Love 2

Wait... so... Baddies have several armed men and Debbie has... nothing apparent.

Yet when she says "Show me Charile first" they comply and keep their distance instead of just going over there and grabbing Josh. THEN Debbie reveals she has a bomb made out of vitamin bottles or something (damn it's hard to see on this show!)

And when she speeds away, they follow and shoot at her while she's driving even though their high priest is in the car wearing a bomb and the bullets have to go through the back of the car to get to her.

These people are too stupid to mastermind the end of days... who's really behind all this?

It seemed to me that every time Josh 2.0 was coming aound to being less evil, they pushed his hair down on his fivehead. (making him look more like Josh 1) Or did I imagine that?

I missed the part in the last episode where they explained how the bad guy toook Charlie hostage while Debbie was in the building.. where was Josh at that point? Why wasn't Charlie with either Debbie or Josh? Damn.. you can't let your ex-boyfriends wander around on their own, girl!

That was a lot of trouble to push down on something to get the fire going. DId they really need the breastplate for that? Couldn't they have Indy'ed it with a bag of sand (oh wait, that didn't work out well for Indy)

So they actually did launch this entire murder investigation off PHOTOS of someone who looked dead, without a body? Have they never heard of makeup, hoaxes, or photoshop? Guess I need to see episode 1 again... nah, I don't care that much.

I miss Red too... I hope she's ok.

I'd like to name her Lucy.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 3

I missed the part in the last episode where they explained how the bad guy toook Charlie hostage while Debbie was in the building.. where was Josh at that point? Why wasn't Charlie with either Debbie or Josh? Damn.. you can't let your ex-boyfriends wander around on their own, girl!

Charlie was asleep in the motel when Debbie noticed Josh was gone. She found him by the vending machines, and that's when the NM people showed up, and Debbie and Josh drove off in the police car.

So Cohen's boyfriend isn't a fellow police officer, right? I remember someone here saying he was. Seems like he's an engineer with the water department or something.

I'm still trying to figure out why some group would want to target Peter and get him involved in any of this. I don't see the point. However I'm still enjoying the show. It's more entertaining than most of the shows out there, and there aren't enough mysteries on TV.

Oh, I also don't understand why Peter didn't just show Emma to Lynn when she came to Golan's house. That would have proved that he wasn't crazy.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 1

Charlie was asleep in the motel when Debbie noticed Josh was gone. She found him by the vending machines, and that's when the NM people showed up, and Debbie and Josh drove off in the police car.

So Cohen's boyfriend isn't a fellow police officer, right? I remember someone here saying he was. Seems like he's an engineer with the water department or something.

I'm still trying to figure out why some group would want to target Peter and get him involved in any of this. I don't see the point. However I'm still enjoying the show. It's more entertaining than most of the shows out there, and there aren't enough mysteries on TV.

Thanks.. I remember that now.

I'm guessing Golan's BF is gong to turn out to be a bad guy who was tryign to get close to Golan because they have ESP and knew he'd play a role at some point ;)

Targeting Peter. I think the Essene probably tried to involve him so that he would help stop the other dudes. The guy who rescued him tonight looked Essene'ish.

I meant targeting Peter from the very beginning. Emma said someone he knew was feeding her captors info about him, and she was given instructions to get close to him and give him the stone. What would have been the point in all that? I don't trust Emma 100% right now. She could still be working with the bad guys and just playing Peter, again, to get close to him.

I thought the Essene who saved Peter in the park was the same one who took Red, but who knows.

• Love 2

I think Emma's story is partly true.  She was hired to play a role, to get close to Peter, and to slip the stone in his pocket.  I suspect she's still playing that role, though.  She really escaped from chains and what were almost surely armed, heavily trained guards?  She just happened to appear at Peter's apartment, seconds before he was getting deported out of the country? 

My guess is Emma works with the Essenes, and that they are the good guys in this story.  The ones trying to stop the prophecy, that is about to throw the world into chaos and upheaval.  They set up Emma to drag him into the conspiracy.  They saved him in the park this past episode.  One question is, why did they choose Peter as their unwitting agent? 

Anne Heche was supposed to meet Peter at the park at 9pm.  I doubt she betrayed him.  The bad guys probably tapped her phone -- pretty easy, unless she has strong encryption, and even then the ambassador is plotting against her.  Wonder what happened to her?

While the absurdities pile up -- a shame, because the producers/writers could easily have handled them, and made a fantastic series -- I'm still on board to learn the outcomes.   

• Love 1

This show is definitely a guilty pleasure, but It's fun, so I'm sticking with it! Peter is just conveniently rescued by this guy he doesn't know, and as a veteran FBI agent he doesn't ask any questions... He's just happy to make a new friend. Some agent he is. I like Emma a lot, and I didn pick up anything to make me think she's a double agent.

Also, it's the first time I find Lynn even slightly interesting. She's a smart woman! What was she doing with Peter??? He's obviously a wreck, he doesn't seem even remotely invested in her, and his wife knows about them.

No Avram and Red?! That's why I watch the show. Everything in the NM storyline is just people acting stupid to move the plot forward. No one makes a remotely rational decision. The main plotline is more intriguing even though a lot of dumb and repetitive stuff happens there. At least, we didn't have Peter/Golan chasing someone this episode.

The problem with this show is that Peter is the worst. I'm assuming his ex wife is part of the conspiracy and I don't blame her. Because the central mystery is compelling, all the other stupid things that go on would be forgivable if I cared more about him.

• Love 1

I meant targeting Peter from the very beginning.

So did I. They targeted him from the beginning so that he could help stop the apocolypse. They should have found someone more competent to involve!

She really escaped from chains and what were almost surely armed, heavily trained guards? 

why did they choose Peter as their unwitting agent? 

Anne Heche was supposed to meet Peter at the park at 9pm.  I doubt she betrayed him.  The bad guys probably tapped her phone -- pretty easy, unless she has strong encryption, and even then the ambassador is plotting against her.  Wonder what happened to her?

I forgot about the chains! I had to rationalize it by assuming that the guard she managed to take down had keys on him, and everyone else was on a lunch break

They chose Peter because they're as stupid as everyone else on this show. Except Regina Taylor who hasn't done anything totally boneheaded... yet.

Anne Heche being on the side of the doomsday people would be the only good reason her character even exists on this show. So I'm assuming she DID betray him.

Peter is just conveniently rescued by this guy he doesn't know, and as a veteran FBI agent he doesn't ask any questions... He's just happy to make a new friend.

Also, it's the first time I find Lynn even slightly interesting. She's a smart woman! What was she doing with Peter??? He's obviously a wreck, he doesn't seem even remotely invested in her, and his wife knows about them.

Well, to be fair, he hasn't got many friends. ;)

Anee H.. The only reason I can rationalize her being with Peter would be the same reason as Emma... to use him (except for the other side) But why would the BAD guys be trying to "spy" on him?

Does everyone but Peter know he is supposed to be the Essene's destined leader or something?

The problem with this show is that Peter is the worst. I'm assuming his ex wife is part of the conspiracy and I don't blame her. Because the central mystery is compelling, all the other stupid things that go on would be forgivable if I cared more about him.

Ha! I hope we get to meet the ex and she plays some significant role (Bad ass counterpart to Regina Taylor?) Although I fear that she just exists so that we will get a soppy ending where she and Peter reconcile. (and their daughter mysteriously rises from the grave... of course, if they only "know" she is dead from photographs, she's probably not dead either)

Edited by slothgirl

These people are too stupid to mastermind the end of days... who's really behind all this?

That was a lot of trouble to push down on something to get the fire going. DId they really need the breastplate for that? Couldn't they have Indy'ed it with a bag of sand (oh wait, that didn't work out well for Indy)

So they actually did launch this entire murder investigation off PHOTOS of someone who looked dead, without a body? Have they never heard of makeup, hoaxes, or photoshop? Guess I need to see episode 1 again... nah, I don't care that much.

I miss Red too... I hope she's ok.

I'd like to name her Lucy.

They didn't need the breast plate to make the fire.  They needed it to make the letters that were displayed when the fire shown through the stones.  Which apparently meant something to the evil rabbi.  And the evil archeologist will get all the leftover stuff.

Are they after the End of Days?  Because with the pace of the plot, it sure seems like the End of Days already.  At least the end of Thursdays.

Red better be OK.  If this doesn't end with her in a petting zoo, I'm going to be upset.  She's at Eurodisney, just keep repeating that.  Of course, if they could resurrect a girl, they should be able to handle a cow.

• Love 3

Dear Show:  Spielberg called.  He wants his Indiana Jones plot back.  Bruce Willis called.  He wants his Fifth Element plot back.  John Le Carre called.  He's not positive, but he's pretty sure one of his plots are on loan too.  And Tom Cruise called.  He said "Go ahead, what the hell.  After 'Going Clear', it won't make any difference anyway."

The thing about prophecy, from the religious zealots' viewpoint, is that it is supposed to happen when it does.  Preventing it or encouraging it is an exercise in futility.  Do they think that God is sitting around, waiting for them to get their marbles in the right slots so that he can move on to the next chapter?  Logically, this entire scheme makes no sense whatsoever.  But that's just me.  I'd probably shrug, andbe first in line to get some sirloin steaks from that red heifer and call it good for the day. 

• Love 1

They didn't need the breast plate to make the fire.  They needed it to make the letters that were displayed when the fire shown through the stones.  

Oh right.. (shows how much attention I'm paying) But they also said something about the weight of the breastplate lowering something.. I thought.. maybe I dreamed it.

The thing about prophecy, from the religious zealots' viewpoint, is that it is supposed to happen when it does.  Preventing it or encouraging it is an exercise in futility.  Do they think that God is sitting around, waiting for them to get their marbles in the right slots so that he can move on to the next chapter?

I'm currently reading a book called "Humans" by Donald Westlake, where God is so fed up with earth, he sends down an angel to influence some specific people to bring ebout the destruction of humanity. I'm still getting introduced to the main players, but so far it's pretty funny (in true Donald Westlake style)

The messenger from God tells the angel sent to earth:

"They've been fruitfull. They've multiplied. There are now 5 billion of the damn things ... he's tired of them. They're too many, too grubby, too willfull, and too prone to error by half"

So far on page 62, this book is better than this show by WAY more than half!

Edited by slothgirl

The thing about prophecy, from the religious zealots' viewpoint, is that it is supposed to happen when it does.  Preventing it or encouraging it is an exercise in futility.

But when is it supposed to happen?  The holy word requires interpretation, and who can know the mind of god?  Zealots frequently disagree on prophecy: whether Jesus was the messiah is an example.  So I don't think there's a logical inconsistency n that score. 

The messenger from God tells the angel sent to earth:

"They've been fruitfull. They've multiplied. There are now 5 billion of the damn things ... he's tired of them. They're too many, too grubby, too willfull, and too prone to error by half"

Earth now has over 7 billion people.  5 billion was in the 1980s.  So either the angel is working a bit slow (by our standards)... we dodged a bullet... or a great catastrophe will reduce world population by over 2 billion sometime in the (probably near) future. 

Earth now has over 7 billion people.  5 billion was in the 1980s.  So either the angel is working a bit slow (by our standards)... we dodged a bullet... or a great catastrophe will reduce world population by over 2 billion sometime in the (probably near) future. 

Or the book I'm quoting was written in the 80's.

;)

(which it was)

I ask myself, "Why am I watching this?"

For me, Jason Isaacs.   And the mental exercise I'm getting trying to ignore the almost universal stupidity of everyone in this show.  From the big things (gaping plot holes such as  international murder investigations without an actual body etc) to the little ones (why is Debbie still driving that FBI land yacht around with Josh in the back seat), I'm in pretty much a state of WTF.

• Love 1