Type keyword(s) to search

S00.E00: New Year's Ink

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Ugh, I guess it was too much to hope for that we might get a repeat of the Xmas special and only see talented artists who were more focused on the work than on running their mouths off about each other.  Isn't Cee Jay the one who misspelled a word on someone's arm?  Seriously?

Why even have this contest?  Why not just give Josh then $10,000 now?

• Love 1

Why even have this contest?  Why not just give Josh then $10,000 now?

LOL, seriously. I truly hope he loses and loses badly. I guess an offense serious enough to get you booted, isn't serious enough to keep you from being invited back to pick up your consolation prize.  I remember Jay as a hit and miss talent and humongous ass. I don't remember either of the others. Doesn't look like Josh has much competition.

Al Fliction was the designated loudmouth jackass from Season 1.  I think his hook was that he learned to tattoo in prison.  He was one of the first people out in his season after being in the bottom pretty much every week.  Cee Jay, if I'm remembering correctly, was the first person booted in Season 2 after she misspelled a word on a client's arm.  If not for the spelling mistake, she'd be best known for squirting black tattoo ink in her own eye during the first challenge. 

How is this a contest?

• Love 1
  • Explanation of the first challenge
  • Explanation that one random person will get to assign the skulls
  • Interview where a contestant explains that they want the advantage
  • Each person picks a skull, one at a time, while "dramatic" drums play
  • Each person reveals their skulls, one at a time
  • The winner explains that they're glad to have received the advantage

You know, they don't really need to use THIS much filler. There was a lot of tattooing they could have given that screentime to!

• Love 4
You know, they don't really need to use THIS much filler. There was a lot of tattooing they could have given that screentime to!

You're missing key elements.  After each thing that happens, after each word that's said, we need reaction shots:

• Contestant nods head vigorously. 
  • Contestant squints eyes and looks puzzled/upset. 
  • Contestant shakes head in disagreement.

I watched the show in about 10 minutes skipping all the nonsense parts.  It was pretty awesome.  I also enjoyed knowing that I wouldn't be seeing these people on my screen next week.

I think they should lower the prize for these one-off specials.  I want to know how low they can go and still have people like Jay trying to work every angle to get an advantage.

• Love 2
Ugh, I guess it was too much to hope for that we might get a repeat of the Xmas special and only see talented artists who were more focused on the work than on running their mouths off about each other.

IKR?!  The Christmas episode seemed to be more of a fan favorites competing and NYE ep. was the biggest a-holes of their season competing.  UGH I despise each one of these jerks. 

Cee Jay's outburst at the judges was kind of amusing in a train-derailment way

OMG what a sour bitch she was!  And that's with Gentle Jay in the competition!  I just want that hour erased from my memory and only have the warm and fuzzies for the Christmas episode.

"Crack and the Beanstalk" will never not be hilarious, poor girl. Damn, that was atrocious, but Al's was worse so I can't argue with his boot. Cee Jay was so far out of her league it was an embarrassment. Jay continues to be a humongous ass. Josh does excellent flowers but that's about it. IMO

I'm glad Josh won, finally. Now here's hoping he doesn't reappear ever again. I like him, but enough's enough.

Gentle Jay is, and ever shall be, a douchebag.

CeeJay's telling Dave he was wearing too much makeup was worth the price of admission, almost.

I don't remember any of these guys being booted over something "beyond their control" except Josh who doofused himself out of the title recently because he can't read a contract. He was the best OF THOSE FOUR, though, so yay?

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1

I turned this off less than halfway through.  It was like night and day with the Christmas special.  Please, producers!  More talent, less attitude!  More tattooing, less talking!  Is that really too much to ask?

• Love 2

It was like a technically proficient but boring tattooer (Josh), a mediocre guy who can be very inconsistent (Jay), and two people who really need to look for a another line of work.

I actually screamed when they revealed Jay's final piece--it was the worst tattoo of the episode, and I had just suffered through 45 minutes of his ass-hattery. It was at least as bad as the previous Ink Master tattoo that ended up on Tattoo Nightmares.

It was one of the ugliest tattoos I have seen in my life and considering I watch Ink Master, that is saying a lot.  It looked like Arnold Schwarzenegger in drag and he threw in a couple of sad looking streamer for effect.  Instead of worrying about convincing Josh's canvas not to change her placement...maybe he should have focused on doing a tattoo that was actually attractive.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 1

LOL, seriously. I truly hope he loses and loses badly. I guess an offense serious enough to get you booted, isn't serious enough to keep you from being invited back to pick up your consolation prize.  I remember Jay as a hit and miss talent and humongous ass. I don't remember either of the others. Doesn't look like Josh has much competition.

Jay was & is still a crybaby. He doesn't care about winning by being a good artist he cares about playing dirty & tattling. I'm all for giving yourself the easier skull & your opponent the harder one. That's how the game works. But when you hold up a sign & mess with the canvas/client that's not cool. I would not want to win that way. I would want to beat the best by being my best. Same thing goes for his season when he had the nerve to say he would beat both Scott & Sausage if he was in the final. Yeah, in his dreams.

Compared to the Christmas episode, this was so very bad. We went from 4 pretty equal contestants to 2 contestants that made it pretty far despite horrible personalities against 2 nobodies, gee I was so surprised at the outcome.

I also thought the challenges and tattoos were pretty boring. There was nothing different or special from a normal episode. Even the NewYears tattoos were pretty generic. I've seen the pin up in martini glass in the standard flash sheets at several shops.

This was so disappointing.  It was like a worst of Ink Master episode.  Monty and Phoenix780 nailed the pacing of this episode.  Damn you, Ink master, for lulling me into a false optimism with the Christmas episode.  

Al Fliction and CJ were both total also rans.  Neither showed any real talent.  Although CJ did show some self knowledge when she said she needed to go home and become a better tattooer.  

While the winning tattoo wasn't great, the woman in the martini glass was so ugly.  Her limbs were misshapen and there was so much shading on her legs they looked hairy.  Sure, it was no skull dripping blue goo, but it was certainly bad. 

I tuned into watch but as soon as I saw Josh and heard his usual "I'm the best and they should just give me the money now" I turned the channel. I just couldn't watch that crap for another hour. After reading the posts I'm tempted to watch it On Demand but since they stopped the use of FFing I really don't want to sit through it all.

I guess we're done with holiday competitions for awhile unless they try to make something out of MLK's birthday.

• Love 1
That strategy back fired on him...the client was irritated by him and didn't appreciate him trying to influence her.   Jay's client could not be flattered by the tattoo he created...she strikes me as someone who would be rather vain.

When Josh said he knew Jay would have an ugly tattoo as soon as he started taking pictures of the canvas's face and body for the pin up...I really hope he was knocking Jay's skills and not the lady's appearance.  It is really not cool to make fun of the way a client looks ( I am going to give him credit and say he was talking about his opponent's abilities).

I think we all agree that we never want to see these four people on our television screens ever again.

The Christmas special was so good and this was a load of @#&%.

Instead of bringing back horrible personalities they should do an Ink Master all stars with only the winners of the previous seasons, so we could actually see some nice tattoos.

• Love 2

The thing that bothers me about Josh talking the client out of the rib placement is that it was all about making it easier for him. I have no problem talking a client out of poor placement or design or if the design is not possible in the time constraint. All these are just regular parts of good customer service to give the best tattoo and should happen in any interaction. Josh never comes across as concerned for the canvas, just making sure he gets ahead

• Love 1

They also didn't comment on how close Josh put the flower tattoo to the other tattoo on her arm.  They always showed it from an angle that showed as little as possible of the pre-existing tattoo.  I wonder how they looked next to each other.  I forget what she originally said she wanted, other than the placement.  Gentle Jackass Jay was such tool, however, he helped swing the woman toward doing what Josh wanted.  I would be very happy if GJ never darkened my TV again.  

Psycho Jay is still one of the biggest pieces of shit to ever appear on this show.  And given the amount of violent, unbalanced mouthy assholes that have been on... that's saying a LOT that he's one of the worst. I said it in his season--if I was a woman I'd be afraid to even be in the same room as him. And even as a man, I'd never turn my back on him.

Although CJ did show some self knowledge when she said she needed to go home and become a better tattooer.  .

Psssst.  Ink Master casting agents/recruiters who might be reading this board.  By casting whiny weak annoying women each season on this show, you wind up embarrassing YOURSELVES even more than the women.  Haven't you noticed by now all the misogyny accusations tossed out at you?  I mean think about it.  When the likes of Tattoo Boobies and this annoying graceless Cee Jay person are your choices so you don't have "nothing but cock" in your one-off reunion specials?  You should see it as a sign for next season that maybe you should start casting some women who actually know what the fuck they're doing.  You know. Like "Face Off" does. Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

The thing that bothers me about Josh talking the client out of the rib placement is that it was all about making it easier for him. I have no problem talking a client out of poor placement or design or if the design is not possible in the time constraint. All these are just regular parts of good customer service to give the best tattoo and should happen in any interaction. Josh never comes across as concerned for the canvas, just making sure he gets ahead

What bothered me is that this last season was ALL ABOUT Josh talking people out of rib tattoos. He's clearly very good at that, but I no longer find it surprising or interesting to watch it happen.

The thing is, the rib tattoo Josh finally did in the past turned out great, so it's not that he can't do them. He's just hedging his bets, which I admire his skill at doing.  Having said that, if I was stupid enough to go on this show to be a canvas and I wanted a rib tattoo, nobody would be talking me out of it.  

• Love 1

I love how the judging criteria for these specials was based on TWO - count em, TWO! - artistic qualities, not just one. Here's a news flash, assholes: EVERY fucking tattoo you put on someone's skin should hit the mark for EVERY criteria. "Well the face is jacked, the skin is destroyed, the color sucks, but hey - the placement is terrific!" If you're a goddamned ink "MASTER" you should be able to consistently achieve - or come damn close to - every one of those effing goals.

Sorry for the outburst. I don't think I'll be watching the next iteration of this show, and that's one of the things that has bothered me most. That and all the camera time devoted to misogyny and repetitive petty bickering.

Edited by Dewey Decimate
  • Love 5

I like Josh but talk about an uneven playing field.  Al Fliction and CeeJay were clearly cannon fodder.  Gentle Jay's last tattoo was beyond hideous - - there was absolutely nothing pretty or attractive about it.  Josh's final tattoo would have been so much better if he had made the fireworks stand out more.

I'd much rather see the final 3 from each season going against each other in the hopes that we would see quality tattooing (a la the Christmas special) and less drama.