Type keyword(s) to search

The Castle Renewal Thread

Elysium1973

Crossing fingers for Agent Carter renewal. If Dara is leaving then kinda disappointing cause 2 Creaseys on the eps are better than 1, so if there's a next season, then well have TPW, Hanning and hopefully they gets some new fresh writers that can take up the slack.

(edited)

I'm really surprised they renewed Agent Carter, but not disappointed. And I'm only glad Galavant made the cut because I want to know what happens next! (Except I find that when it comes down to it, I don't really care. It was nice brain fluff though, so ... what happens next?! LOL)

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1
(edited)

"The procedural starring Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic will be back for its eighth season after the duo both inked new deals to return. Produced in-house by ABC Studios, Castle has been a sturdy performer for ABC on Mondays at 10 p.m. and still pulls 12.7 million viewers on a weekly basis. Rumors about the future of the series have swirled of late, with sources telling THR that the veteran drama from Andrew Marlowe could return for an abbreviated final season. While it's unclear if season eight will be Castle's last one thing is certain: showrunner David Amann, who took over for Marlowe in season seven, has exited. Procedural vet Barry Schindel (CAA), who returns to the drama after a brief run in 2009 and whose credits include Numbers, Intelligence, Unforgettable and Law & Order, will replace Amann and take over as showrunner."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/abc-renews-shonda-rhimes-trio-794331

Edited by FlickerToAFlame

Do you have a source for that? TVLine's renewal article had no details. But I mean, I guess it could be worse. Those were all pretty solid procedurals.

Do you have a source for that? TVLine's renewal article had no details. But I mean, I guess it could be worse. Those were all pretty solid procedurals.

Sorry, link added. Forgot to include it in my excitement. Hope it's true!

I thought I heard shouts of joy and saw some confetti rain from the sky. Now everyone can relax!  :-)

Barry Schindel as showrunner too. I approve!

Since he was involved with L&O, maybe we'll get the "chung-chung" between scenes! Okay, I kid...

(edited)

Now everyone can relax!  :-)

Well ... there's still Stana's contract. And people speculating now that it's not a full season pickup. Always drama. ;)

But I'm content for now. It's happened basically like I thought it would.

Sorry, link added. Forgot to include it in my excitement. Hope it's true!

Ooh ... didn't see that edit in my excitement. Two points:

- Rumors about the future of the series have swirled of late, with sources telling THR that the veteran drama from Andrew Marlowe could return for an abbreviated final season.

... is this new information or old speculation? and ...

- The procedural starring Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic will be back for its eighth season after the duo both inked new deals to return.

... is this actually true? I was pretty sure she'd sign again, but an official, no more worries announcement would be nice.

Edited by McManda

Forever was basically cancelled 3 episodes in.

Yeah, that writing on the wall was evident pretty early on. But ABC ended up saving Agent Carter and Galavant, so I could see how there might have been some hope.

(edited)

Forever was basically cancelled 3 episodes in.

That's why when it got the back 9 extension it was a bit of a surprise because the writing was on the wall even before that came.

Deadline is still saying she hasn't re-signed, only THR has stated at this point. *shrugs*

Edited by Nadine

Thanks for your insights Hal, find them Spot On and you tell us as much as you can with out completely ratting out your sources ☺  Much Appreciated

• Love 1

It is days like this that I hate ABC.  They cancel quality shows and keep garbage on the air.  At least Castle and Nashville made it through, but I sure will miss Forever.

It's because they didn't have anything else on the shelf at the time.

Definitely understandable in that regard (my mistake!). Is it my imagination or did ABC pick up more dramas this time around? I feel like they've got at least an extra one this time.

(edited)

Marvel.

Hahaha... oh, that's fair. :) I also feel like the limited series (Galavant, Agent Carter) also have a little more leeway because they're only a few episodes instead of a season commitment.

Any comments from the cast/crew? They often mention they find out on twitter after the news breaks. I wonder if that's true this time around.

Edited by McManda

Probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway: id's that why she felt comfortable enough to go to Croatia and get married/take a mini-moon/film a movie in an "exotic location"? I know if it were me I would want to wrap things up before I left the county so I wouldn't have to worry about anything (especially if I were getting married ... I'd just want to relax!). I thought the timing was weird, especially because her future was supposedly up in the air.

Hal, I kinda of want to be you. Your job sounds interesting and totally what is want if I worked in the industry. (I never wanted to act!)

The image with a camel gave me a good laugh there halwideman. Thanks again for all the info you're thrown our way about the renewals.

Any chance Barry can get John Terlesky back since he's now free from Revenge?

No one asked me if the deal closed. They asked if she signed. Those are two completely different concepts ;)

You guys have nothing to worry about.

Tease :)

Actors are weird.

Most don't care about what is going on back home. Because they way they see it is the it's the studio's problem to come up with a deal they want.

I had one actor traveling by camel once (for 3 weeks) and it was hard for the rep to get a hold of them. The actor obviously gave zero fucks to be available for their negotiation.

I'm sure you can't say, but I am dying to know what actor was travelling somewhere on a camel.  Who does that?  But anyway it must be nice to be in a position where you can just wait around for someone to offer to pay you for something.  I knew I picked the wrong field.  (Not that I could act if I wanted to).

With the renewal announced, I'm kind of curious to know if any other writers are leaving and if Marlowe will still have any presence.  That will probably take longer to come out.

(edited)

THR just edited their story about both deals being done and Barry being showrunner. Guessing they jumped the gun there or more like someone at ABC gave them a call. Hehe.

Edited by Nadine

Hurrah! 

Thank Christ for that, everyone can stop worrying now and relax and enjoy the finale properly. 

Sad about Forever, even though I never got into it but I heard some good things about the writing unfortunately it seemed doomed from the start, I hope some of the writers from there defect across to Castle.

What I like about Schindel being named showrunner is his previous credit of Numbers -- strong procedural, but equally strong on the family dynamic.

That sounds promising but seems that Marlowe is still going to be around next season so I can't see what's going to change in terms of storytelling style to any huge degree. 

A few questions for Hal, you mentioned before S8 will be the last but I note THR says it's unclear do you still think that's the case?  And do think Marlowe will stick around? 

Nice to see things settled at last, at least for the most part.

Glad that Stana's deal appears to have closed.  Yay for Caskett S8!  Will we ever know what was the sticking point, if any, and whether she got what she wanted? And I'm assuming Castle will be back for the entire 20+ episodes?  Also curious if it's the last season for sure and if Marlowe is really out.  Hal, do share what you can, thanks!

Count me in with those who are pleased about Barry Schindel becoming showrunner.  Anyone associated with S1 of Castle is good with me.  Why did he leave?  I'm cautious about a change in showrunner being any real big changes for the show, but even small improvements would be good at this point.  I liked Schindel's episodes in S1 so good to have him on the writing staff.  As for Dara Creasey (and possibly others?) leaving, not too surprised because I think you're going to have writers wanting to leave for a show with a longer potential lifespan left, if that was part of the reason.  Hopefully we can still hold on to the strong writers on the staff and attract some good ones from just cancelled shows in need of a job immediately.

(edited)

I've looked at the episodes Schindel either wrote or co-produced (thanks IMDB) and I loved a lot of them, I agree madmaverick that any small improvements would be welcome indeed.

Castle (TV Series) (executive producer - 9 episodes)
- A Death in the Family (2009) ... (executive producer) (story)
- Little Girl Lost (2009) ... (executive producer)
- Ghosts (2009) ... (executive producer)
- Home Is Where the Heart Stops (2009) ... (executive producer)
- Always Buy Retail (2009) ... (executive producer)
- A Chill Goes Through Her Veins (2009) ... (executive producer)
- Hell Hath No Fury (2009) ... (executive producer)
- Hedge Fund Homeboys (2009) ... (executive producer)
- Nanny McDead (2009) ... (executive producer) (written by)

What a lot of those episodes had were some lovely little character driven moments between Castle and Beckett (Nanny McDead and Home is Where the Heart Stops spring to mind) of the kind that are sorely lacking and if Schindel can use his influence there it would be great. Pity Marlowe sullied the 2009 episode he wrote with the negation of her "one and done" comment just for kicks. 

Edited by verdana
(edited)

Glad that Stana's deal appears to have closed.  Yay for Caskett S8!  Will we ever know what was the sticking point, if any, and whether she got what she wanted? 

Whatever the sticking point was (unless there wasn't one and she was just enjoying the tease for some strange reason) I hope she's got what she wanted or at least the important issues ironed out, guess she must have done otherwise why sign up? Unless the alternative options open to her were so unappealing that signing on was the sensible choice especially if it's only for one more season. 

What's going to interest me (besides any changes to the writing) about S8 is how much screen time Castle and Beckett will share together because this season felt like a test run for the future and letting the actors have more time off which seems something they would want at this stage. 

Seamus, Tamala etc must be breathing a huge sigh of relief no job hunting for them!  

Edited by verdana
(edited)

Thanks for the info kfc.

I'm curious to see, out of the writers who will stick around, expecting Hanning and TPW to stick around (due to their promotions to EP this season), but possibly some of the others may leave (excluding Dara which has already been stated) too. It'll also be interesting to see which writers come in to replace the departing writers.

Edited by Nadine
(edited)

I'm with you, Nadine. I'm most interested in the creative team that returns. The cast can all return, but the quality of storytelling and character arcs also can still remain very status quo to this season. With Dara gone and Milmar heavily rumored to be out, I'm extremely curious what the writers' room makeup will be going into a (likely) final season. 

Edited by S55

Can someone point me in the direction of the news about Dara Creasey leaving?  Thanks.  I've been enjoying Jane the Virgin in its first season even though it's not normally my kind of show.  But outright soapiness can be more engaging than boring COTWs.  It's a show with a lot of heart and it sure knows continuity.

Unless the alternative options open to her were so unappealing that signing on was the sensible choice especially if it's only for one more season.

I've said it before and this applies to both leads: unless they have an offer they can't refuse elsewhere like a part in a big/prestige movie or cable series, it's the sensible choice to sign on for another season for financial reasons at least.  At the end of a long 7 year contract, it doesn't make sense to quit at the moment when you're finally getting some amount of leverage although I think the network's still boss.

Seamus, Tamala etc must be breathing a huge sigh of relief no job hunting for them!

Yeah, for all their possible gripes about their limited opportunities on the show and repetitive lines, I think most of the secondary cast would be happy for the show to go on forever because there's no guarantee they can do better in the competitive world of Hollywood where a regular TV gig is like winning the lottery.  I think it's fairer to all parties concerned if everyone gets a heads up when it is the final season so that they can start the job hunt early with pilot season etc.

Pity Marlowe sullied the 2009 episode he wrote with the negation of her "one and done" comment just for kicks.

Years since Nanny McDead and a long time since I last watched but I still remember so many good, smart character moments from that episode, without which I wouldn't have stuck around on this crime procedural.  Castle recounting his story about the guy in apartment 8B and captivating his audience.  Caskett at the playground giving Beckett an early glimpse of endearing fatherly Castle as a father, and the important "one and done" conversation (ugh, Marlowe!!).  Castle learning that it isn't all fun and games when it comes to murder and victims.  Fun elevator deduction by Castle and Beckett being impressive in interrogation in smart, restrained ways without going all over the top badass.  Lovely conclusion with Castle looking at an old photo of him and Alexis at the park and Alexis telling him that she's glad she didn't have a nanny.  

If Schindel can bring back any of that old quality with consistency next season, I would be very pleased.

I'm with you, Nadine. I'm most interested in the creative team that returns. The cast can all return, but the quality of storytelling and character arcs also can still remain very status quo to this season. With Dara gone and Milmar heavily rumored to be out, I'm extremely curious what the writers' room makeup will be going into a (likely) final season. 

Is Dara going? I didn't know that but yeah it's going to be interesting to see how that writers room shakes out, I'd love to see some significant improvements in the storytelling next season but I'm not going to build my hopes up. 

Thanks KFC.

(edited)

madmaverick. Nanny McDead filled with so many good moments thanks for the reminder, one or two of those kind of reveals during an episode would more than satisfy me these days.

I think it's fairer to all parties concerned if everyone gets a heads up when it is the final season so that they can start the job hunt early with pilot season etc.

Not only for the cast but for the fans too, I hope they make it clear if S8 is to be the last, if the fans know well in advance it might reduce the hysteria down a few notches and halt some of the stupid and embarrassing behaviour I've witnessed over the last few months with fans harassing the cast and crew etc.

Edited by verdana

Jane the Virgin is terrific. Even the shallow characters, like the actor/father, have depth.

And Agent Carter returns. I'm ordering my red hat on eBay immediately!

So now I have six shows to watch compulsively. Castle, JtV, AC, Murdoch Mysteries, Agents of Shield, and Orphan Black.  Good thing I'm retired, that's more than I've watched for years.

(edited)

Flicker, you had my heart rate going up with that headline!  

But seriously?  I'm not familiar with that CastleTV website.  Is that the one where critical opinions of the show aren't really allowed?  So I'm not familiar with how legit their sources may be.  We haven't heard anything along these lines from anywhere else.  Is it just more of the usual negotiation stuff now that they are moving on to deals with the supporting cast?   Castle wouldn't be the first show to have some sort of budget cuts moving onto an eighth season, but I would have thought that meant bumping certain regulars down to recurring rather than any wholesale recasting.  Unless ABC has its mind set on a complete revamp of the whole show for some reason.

I hope it's not true of course but looks like I spoke too soon when I thought fandom drama would be over.

Edited by madmaverick
(edited)

I believe it, because that site prides itself on being teacher's pet, and Terri often supplies them info. And they're right that they only post things they can confirm.

My guess is Terri, Seamus, or Jon is the source who can't say anything themselves but are looking for fan support.

I wonder if Jon and Seamus want raises like the leads and are being threatened that they're replaceable.

ETA: it would be easy for the show to have Beckett take a promotion that puts her in a different office with a whole different set of colleagues.

Edited by FlickerToAFlame

ETA: it would be easy for the show to have Beckett take a promotion that puts her in a different office with a whole different set of colleagues.

I almost think this would be worse than SK not signing on for S8.  Castle has the best ensemble cast - any one of them can step up in an episode and it's enjoyable. And Beckett at the FBI was my least favorite storyline.  

Castle Season 8: Senator Beckett.  Just kidding... I hope.

Honestly, mostly anyone is replaceable in a crime procedural except the leads, and even then there are some past examples where leads were replaced when they wanted out.  It's the love story participants that they can't easily replace unless someone is killed off.  Same goes for family characters.  

Wouldn't be surprised if the network was engaging in hardball negotiation tactics.  The bottom line is all that matters to them and they are the boss.  You misjudge your expected raise and you can be told you are replaceable.  It's the reality check the boss can give you.

I'm not familiar with the usual salary curve for actors on long running shows but I assume leads would get a raise to be enticed into re-signing for more years after their original 7 year contract is up, and assumed the supporting cast would get some sort of raise as well, if not to the same extent.  But long running shows also have higher costs and there's more pressure to make budget cuts, and that could come with culling the cast as well.

I think the core 4 do operate like a well-oiled machine by now.  But at the same time, I also think the writers haven't done anything terribly new or interesting with Esposito and Ryan in several seasons.  Like always, they are there to serve the leads and to provide exposition.  In better written episodes, they flavour the show with humour, but in poorer episodes, they are kind of just there.  We had a comfort level with Montgomery and then he was gone.  That was a shock and we had to get used to Gates, but in time we did, and I enjoy her as a character on her own merits.  Whatever plans they have for the show and the characters, a lot depends on the writing to sell me the story.  And good actors, of course.

• Love 1

Yay, more drama! / sarcasm I'm hoping these are just threats, because I'd hate to see anyone recast. I'd agree that would be almost worse than just canceling.

• Love 2
(edited)
Castle TV.net ‏@CastleTV  58 mins58 minutes ago

I know people are skeptical about what I just posted, but most of you know I don't post rumors, that is still 100% true.This is real #Castle

I almost think this would be worse than SK not signing on for S8.  Castle has the best ensemble cast - any one of them can step up in an episode and it's enjoyable. And Beckett at the FBI was my least favorite storyline.

Any one but Fillion is replaceable on Castle even if the fans don't like that idea, as for the secondary cast I'd suggest they're even more vulnerable than on other shows which have a genuine ensemble feel to them - Castle doesn't so they're all fair game no matter how well liked. I'd be disappointed if they were gone or replaced but it wouldn't stop me watching the show if Stana had gone that's a different story. 

Edited by verdana
(edited)

What I don't like about that article is it's trying to stir up and encourage further hysteria and bad behaviour based on what I'm seeing on twitter, I was wondering why there was so many angry posts directed towards the network and now I realise why. Urgh stop it.

Thanks Hal. 

Edited by verdana
(edited)

Ditto the thanks, Hal. 

The hardest part was getting the two stars to WANT to do another year, and that happened back before the holidays.

This was the part I thought was more worrisome.

What I don't like about that article is it's trying to stir up and encourage further hysteria and bad behaviour based on what I'm seeing on twitter, I was wondering why there was so many angry posts directed towards the network and now I realise why. Urgh stop it

Plus what I don't like about it is that there always has to be a villain for some people.  The network and/or the actor (the usual one to get the blame for everything ;)).

People too often forget that they're usually just hearing one side of the story, one angle whenever something is "leaked" to media through anonymous sources. Everyone has their own agenda.  Without knowing all the facts and all the sides to the story, I don't feel comfortable waging any campaign.

Real negotiations take time and compromise.  How long have these negotiations been going on with the supporting cast anyway?  And this "news" comes out... just when I thought we could enjoy the renewal news in peace.

Patrick Munn @patmunn  
Calling bullshit on a report on - untrue. ABC is not talking about recasting. Wait for the fucking upfronts people.

Edited by madmaverick