Type keyword(s) to search

The Castle Renewal Thread

Elysium1973

(edited)

MilMar has now tweeted confirmation they are leaving:

@AndrewWMarlowe: To the #Castle fandom: Thank you for seven amazing seasons. It's been an honor. We loved every second of it. http://t.co/Ob1qKfhGCt

@TerriEdda: We'd like to thank the #Castle fans for seven seasons of loyalty, love & passion. We treasured each minute of it. http://t.co/k0ooIQMWYY

It just occurred to me that we (thankfully) weren't subjected to any post-finale interviews from these two after the episode aired. If I wasn't already pretty certain they were gone, that was a big clue to me. 

Can't say I'm at all sorry to see them go. I had a chance to talk to Marlowe a few years ago at an event and enjoyed the interaction at the time. But they've both fallen off my good graces list since then.  

Edited by S55

MilMar has now tweeted confirmation they are leaving:

@AndrewWMarlowe: To the #Castle fandom: Thank you for seven amazing seasons. It's been an honor. We loved every second of it. http://t.co/Ob1qKfhGCt

@TerriEdda: We'd like to thank the #Castle fans for seven seasons of loyalty, love & passion. We treasured each minute of it. http://t.co/k0ooIQMWYY

This answers my question in the episode thread, it was written as their goodbye, rather than a show goodbye as they would have known leads had agreed at that point and S8 would be a given.

This is rather cheeky but this video sums up my feelings at the moment, they have both been creatively redundant for at least 2 seasons in my opinion and after the #respecttheprocess BS I can't say I'm sorry to see them go.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hello to Stana for Season 8, Goodbye hopefully to State Senator Beckett for S8!!  Also hopefully goodbye to stupid fandom drama!!  Although I'm sure some fans will still spin this re-signing into something full of triumphant drama, truth aside. ;)

Always confident that she would re-sign, because if she'd wanted to walk, would have been clear months ago.  Also appears to be the move that still makes the most sense for her career right now.  Curious to know why negotiations took longer than NF's and what she wanted, if we ever find out.  Maybe taking things to the last minute was her agent's negotiation tactic?  I thought the delay was just them haggling over the nitty gritty, not so much lack of intent to re-sign.

So there's no news of any 'recasting' of the supporting cast then? ;) 

And it appears to be a 1 year deal for both NF and SK?  Never say never, but I do think next season will be the last and I hope that is communicated to the writers well ahead of time if that's the case.

Goodbye to Milmar.  Goodbye to their public love tweets on twitter.  I hope they don't decide to return midseason if their new show fails in development. ;)  The new guys should be free to run the show unfettered.

Edited by madmaverick

How long till the hysteria starts over whether it's the final season? ;)

I presume it's a normal 20+ episode order.  Do we know yet?

I did think Milmar would stay till the end, but I guess developing a new show takes precedence at this point in Castle's lifespan.  Many a show creator has left before the end for pastures anew.  And creatively, I think they need new inspiration.

(edited)
This is rather cheeky but this video sums up my feelings at the moment, they have both been creatively redundant for at least 2 seasons in my opinion and after the #respecttheprocess BS I can't say I'm sorry to see them go.

Heh, good choice, I was tapping my feet to that one! Yeah I'm pleased, not going to deny it. They've had a good run but the creative well had run dry a while back. I can't forget the #respect the process fiasco over the Always deleted scene, pulling the rug out last season over the wedding that never was, Marlowe admitting he wanted to take Beckett down a peg and the "mythology" this season. It was time to call it a day give someone new a spin at the wheel. 

Goodbye to Milmar.  Goodbye to their public love tweets on twitter.  I hope they don't decide to return midseason if their new show fails in development. ;)  The new guys should be free to run the show unfettered.

Whatever they end up doing, I wish them both good health and happiness, thanks for (some) of the memories but don't come back! 

How long till the hysteria starts over whether it's the final season? ;)

Oh not long, that's why they should confirm the situation if possible to avoid future hysteria and stupidity.  

Stana Katic Confirmed to Return to ‘Castle’ Season 8 at Variety 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

ABC may have no plans to make the next season of Castle its last but I get the feeling the leads might feel differently.  Otherwise, why just sign a 1 year deal that took so long to negotiate even?  If anyone's decided to go after next year already, then I hope it's made clear to TPTB as soon as possible.

(edited)

The TV Wise guy is also saying a ABC rep told him it was a 13 ep order.  And the idea of a spinoff in Dec aiming for the 2016-7 season is from his sources, not network PRs. 

If they could only sign the leads (or SK) to 13 eps, then there's very little chance I'd say that they'd be willing to come back for more than that. 

But let's wait for actual confirmation.

Edited by madmaverick
(edited)
ABC may have no plans to make the next season of Castle its last but I get the feeling the leads might feel differently.  Otherwise, why just sign a 1 year deal that took so long to negotiate even?  If anyone's decided to go after next year already, then I hope it's made clear to TPTB as soon as possible.

Talk is cheap from Paul Lee, he can say anything he wants at this stage. I'm skeptical too that the leads want to go on for two or three more years, it's taken them this long to agree a one year deal how do they think they'll get an extension that easily out of them? Hal said they might do just that so time will tell. Fans might have to go through all this again next season. Jesus. 

Thanks for the info madmaverick, here's the link to that article.

Castle’ Scoop: Stana Katic Inks New Deal For Season 8, Series To End After Next Season? by Patrick Munn

Edited by verdana
(edited)

All Paul Lee's statement means is that the network presently has no plans to cancel Castle and to me that means the ball is in the court of the show. While not a great confirmation it's nice to know the network has their back (for now).

I had to laugh because I found out about Stana signing from a text from my mother. Apparently she was more concerned than I was (she knows I love the show), even though she doesn't watch it.

But thank Jesus that all this drama is over and I can have a calm summer...

... except now I have to be worried about Castle turning into a political thriller. Crap.

Edited by McManda
(edited)

TV Wise has now backtracked as his ABC rep/source has changed their tune in regards to 13 episodes , they have changed it to TBD.

It will be more than 13 episodes, that I know for sure.

When do ABC announce stuff like this nowadays? I presume as it more than 13 eps and he's changed to TBD means less than the usual amount (you don't have to answer that part).

It's been so long since the last show I watched ended on ABC and that was a clusterfuck at end. Oh Alias how I miss you.

Edited by Brit Babe

Do they even have "plans" in place yet?  Guess we'll see in time whether TPW/AH are Marlowe/Amann kind of planners, or, hopefully of a different order.

But if it's a final season, then the Beckett trajectory should be pretty clear.  Captain + end with pregnancy.  

Looks like Bowman is still EP next season so we won't be saying goodbye to dim lighting and kisses in the dark unfortunately.  

She's going to suddenly get to do high art as Beckett. But whatever at least she finally shut her fans up.

Hey, some of her fans are already going on about how she took so long to re-sign because she was protective of her character and wanted to wait until she was sure her character was in good hands with the new showrunners. ;)  People believe what they want to believe.  

I imagine it was a basic courtesy and mutual congratulatory call on re-signing/promotions.  Hardly anything will be set in stone yet for the characters.

So it looks like neither NF nor SK are EPs for next season.  Never thought either were interested in that degree of involvement/creative control. 

(edited)

Does becoming EP also add a sort of prestige for an actor on a TV show?  Some leads do get that title somewhere down the line even if not at the beginning.

Final terms still not nailed down?  Guess they have some more time to haggle as long as the main terms are agreed upon.

Edited by madmaverick

It's different for every show.

Most of the time it means nothing. It usually only means something when they are an EP from the beginning and helped create the story.

Doesn't it mean more money? It's really all about money.

Over on The Good Wife, people are convinced Juliana Margules's producer credit gives her the power to refuse doing scenes with Kalinda. I can't imagine what people would say about Nathan/Stana if they get a producer credit and people don't like an episode.

p.s. those people convinced about The Good Wife, would be right. I have no idea what happened but JM doesn't like AP. It happens a lot in TV.

People just make a bigger deal out of it, I mean, I'm sure all of us don't like our co-workers.

No one seems to have any idea what happened, which is quite amazing in this day and age.  Then again, no one seems to have any concrete idea about whether any issues between NF and SK bts are real or imagined either.  But as producer, would JM really be able to dictate to the showrunners and other EPs that she didn't want to do scenes with another actor?  Wouldn't she get called out for that degree of unprofessionalism?  Or be afraid of bad press from someone leaking her demand to the media?  It's really a shame that the entire relationship between Alicia/Kalinda was ruined, rendered non-existent for whatever reason.  That was one of the best bits of the show and no personal issues should have been allowed to supersede that. 

(edited)
For what it's worth though in regards to Castle, they agreed to do another year when they didn't have to. People should be able to draw their own conclusions from that, I know I have.

I have, too.  (On the other hand, AP said that she knew she was ready to leave in S4.)

I don't know why I'm so invested in these two people lol

It's because we're watching a mystery show and a love story! ;)

It was the chemistry that hooked me in the pilot, and if it wasn't for that, I would never have stuck with a crime procedural into S8!

Edited by madmaverick

People just make a bigger deal out of it, I mean, I'm sure all of us don't like our co-workers.

Well, yeah, I hate several of my co-workers. But I don't refuse to be in the same room as them. I do my job then go home and bitch about them to friends/family.

The casting of the leads on this show truly is lightning in a bottle. Wow, did Marlowe and ABC get lucky. Sometimes I try to imagine different actors that have bounced around on several ABC shows in those two parts (like Alyssa Milano or someone like Evangeline Lily as Beckett. Or one of the Desperate Housewives guys as Castle) and it just doesn't work in my head.

I know Nathan was basically a lock from the beginning but I wonder who else could have been Beckett.

I'm curious to know who was in that mix of 150 or so actresses that they auditioned for the roll of Beckett.    Several  made the cut and did the screen test with Nathan that was the famous interrogation room scene from the pilot.  "Mr. Castle, you've got quite a rap sheet for a best selling author"..."Boys will be boys". 

(edited)

Bridget Moynahan and Gabrielle Union were offered it.

Interesting. They're both gorgeous, but I'm not too familiar with their work.

I hope someday we get to see Stana's audition. I kind of remember seeing a really quick clip of it (she was just introducing herself for the take) but I don't remember where. That would be great for the final season DVDs.

Edited by FlickerToAFlame

Bridget Moynahan and Gabrielle Union were offered it.

Thanks for that interesting tidbit, Hal.  I know of both actresses although I'm not too familiar with their work.  Just from appearances, actually could have been interesting matchups though I don't know if the romantic chemistry would have been as strong.

I would love to see that moment where Stana asked Nathan to cut off her shirt and he did and the producers walked it.  But obviously never caught on tape!  

Don't know how many actors auditioned for Martha and Alexis but they chose well there too.  Familial chemistry was instant.  

(edited)

TEFPublicity ‏@TEFPublicity  4 hrs4 hours ago

Congratulations to our Extraordinary star @seamusdever for signing on for Season Eight of #Castle!

So he wasn't replaced after all by the nasty network and he's signed up no surprise there.  

Jon Huertas @Jon_Huertas  ·  6 hrs 6 hours ago

Some of u had questions about Castle season 8   -  dubsmashapp

https://instagram.com/p/2meQIjnLKa/

Jon also announces his return. 

Edited by verdana
(edited)

I'm surprised they may end up becoming EP on the show since like madmaverick I assumed it meant more work with automatically having some form of creative control but I've learned something new.

Castle TV.net ‏@CastleTV  5 hrs5 hours ago
Thanks to everyone who wrote to ABC over the past week in support of the #Castle cast.

You mean thanks to all the fans you unnecessarily riled up with your scaremongering story about Seamus and Jon which meant the network got a lot of hate it could have done without. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
(edited)
She's not going to suddenly get to do high art as Beckett. But whatever at least she finally shut her fans up.

You think? Heh not that crowd, although she could have at least turned the volume down by stopping those endless and irritating goodbye tweets a few even had me going at one point they were that doom laden. I hope this experience will finally put to bed ideas that Stana's tweets mean anything remotely significant which so many fans read into in order to gauge her "mood" or what's happening on the show. 

Secondly, I'm sure they bullshitted her. Not say Beckett won't get good story, but that's the most important part of being a showrunner. Making the actors feel special and validated. Sort of like running an American Kindergarten.

I'm quite sure they did since they can't possibly have any detailed ideas story wise at this early stage. However, I get the vibe she's not been that thrilled with what they've done with Beckett this season after prior years of having the focus much more on her and I wouldn't be surprised if she was asking the question forget Caskett what about my character? I can't blame her for that. Whether the answer was worth anything or not is another matter, she seems to have accepted whatever reassurances they've provided or may be she's just keen on preserving her status with her fans as the only one who really gives a shit about this show. 

Oh wow just noticed that the X files is on Monday nights too. 

Edited by verdana

But if it's a final season, then the Beckett trajectory should be pretty clear.  Captain + end with pregnancy.  

Looks like Bowman is still EP next season so we won't be saying goodbye to dim lighting and kisses in the dark unfortunately.  

Yes to the predicted Beckett trajectory and definitely at the end, lets not suffer through a season of baby making please...just a sweet, touching announcement at the end and to see Castle's thrilled reaction will do for me. 

Pity about Bowman, although it was dark in the finale too with the key kissing moments in silhouette heh so may be he's not completely to blame but I could still do without his particular of directing and I see Luke is still there, that's another one I could do with them replacing get someone in with some fresh ideas on how to dress their leading man.  

It's always been the chemistry between them that's kept me watching, Marlowe was very lucky he hit pay dirt with the casting. 

(edited)
She's not going to suddenly get to do high art as Beckett. But whatever at least she finally shut her fans up.

You think? Heh not that crowd, although she could have at least turned the volume down by stopping those endless and irritating goodbye tweets a few even had me going at one point they were that doom laden.

I would’ve had no issue with goodbye tweets if I believed they amounted to something. Like that she was really undecided or hovering on the brink of quitting. But everything, not just information from Hal, points to it being a PR play from the start – from media, network, studio, actors etc. Like, really? It just all came together before the Upfronts – MilMar quitting, Stana signing, poor recast outcasts signing and everything is sunshine and roses? Please.

So it kinda ruins the “feels” of it all, but the pics by themselves were nice :)

Speaking about feels, caught up on the latest fandom spins, and it turns out that the paradigms have shifted since yesterday. Apparently now Stana is not the helpless victim sacrificed along with the boys by powerful evil Fillion to the ruthless Hollywood machine. Turns out she’s been the most powerful player all along, implementing her “art over money” concept into picking the new showrunners, making sure that the future of Beckett and the show is bright and artistically fulfilling, looking out for the boys, and only then signing the contract. ABC was intimidated by her stance, producers cowered in fear of losing her and in the end had to satisfy her demands of “making art”;) So looks like next season we’re going to get some artsy version of Castle, unless of course TPTB deceive her, probably again because of Fillion’s foul play, and we gonna hear cries about shattered dreams and broken promises (that are assumed to have been given). But today Stana saved the show, while NF was just happy to sign ASAP for the money, perks and due to the lack of decent offers or any professional future at all. That’s about it I think. The equal pay issue seems to have been relocated to the back burner for now, guess in the face of all the art over money happening it’s too mundane a topic to focus on. It’s good to see how Marlowe’s subtext training is paying off for this fandom, all voids and cavities get immediately filled and refilled with meaning and “facts” :).

Edited by Gant
  • Love 7
Amanda Johns @ajohns366  ·  17m 17 minutes ago

To our amazing Castle fans: thanks for a great year! I'm sure S8 will cont. to be fantastic, but I will be moving on. TY for watching!

And another writer goes. 

(edited)

Had to refresh my memory, but I did like her two episodes.  They may be falling short in the women writers' department (along with directors ;)) so I hope we'll see some coming in.

Are there budget cuts for S8?  

Like I was wondering in the episode thread, should we start a place to discuss S8 and what we would like to see in the new era of the show? 

Edited by madmaverick
(edited)
However, I get the vibe she's not been that thrilled with what they've done with Beckett this season after prior years of having the focus much more on her and I wouldn't be surprised if she was asking the question forget Caskett what about my character? I can't blame her for that. Whether the answer was worth anything or not is another matter, she seems to have accepted whatever reassurances they've provided or may be she's just keen on preserving her status with her fans as the only one who really gives a shit about this show. 

Oh wow just noticed that the X files is on Monday nights too. 

The show's been the Beckett show for 6 seasons +, season 7 was suppose to be Castle's season - we got 3/4 episodes (7x01/7x02/7x20/7x23) all of which have "wrapped up" things up for him, not satisfactorily by any means.

X-Files on Monday nights? Have they decided the timeslot?

p.s. when Nathan's deal was leaked it wasn't even really closed. ABC PR learned their lesson wasn't wasn't going to do the same with Stana. So all this drama was completely stupid and unnecessary. But it got that bullshitter TVwise and everyone else a ton of clicks. 

I think she is worried that her time is going to be up in Hollywood and she will only ever be Beckett. I don't know that, but have surmised it from interviews.

I am glad to see that ABC PR dept well over a decade later are still cocking up, it warms the heart.

I could tell Stana that, her choices outside Castle have been poor to say the least, it's alright to do an indie movie here and there to stay true to your "art over money" roots but she hasn't done anything to put her on the map. The only buzz she generates is in the Castle fandom and at the moment websites see it has clickbait but they just as easily move on to the next thing.

Edited by Brit Babe
  • Love 1

When the truth is, (now that's it all said and done I can say it) they had to lock in Nathan because Stana wanted whatever they were going to give him. So they had to figure his crap out so then they could do hers and then they knew what they could offer the supporting cast.

I was wondering if that was the issue. I think she deserves it though, so good for her.

I also think her choices for non-Castle projects are poor as well, and I'm surprised she couldn't get a small role in a bigger film. She has one the People's choice award twice now, that shows she has a fan base. But maybe the timing hasn't worked out or she has wanted time off in the summer.

It makes sense if she doesn't want to be known only as Beckett, but it also makes sense if she wants a ton of money and sticks with Castle.

• Love 1

Very happy there will be another season, and I'm absolutely expecting it to be the final season, which is fine. 

There are some other shows that should go only one more season, if only to wrap things up:

• Big Bang Theory -- go out while you are still on top and slightly funny
  • Modern Family -- watching just out of habit now.  Kids are getting too old, Claire is too obnoxious, and it just isn't that funny.
  • The Middle -- I still really enjoy it, but with Sue going to college, I can see them losing steam. 

Shows that need to be done NOW:  Grey's Anatomy.  I don't even watch anymore, but am still sick and tired of it.  I just want it to be over.

Not sure it was the talk with the writers that reassured her, or the shit ton of money ;)

Ha, the shit load of money probably, one final guaranteed pay day, screw the artistic principles and good luck to her. 

I think she is worried that her time is going to be up in Hollywood and she will only ever be Beckett. I don't know that, but have surmised it from interviews.

Yeah I can see why given her constant dodgy film choices. I know actors can get fed up if they are associated with one particular role but it's better than nothing - don't complain embrace it. I have no idea what her future holds but what I do know is that she's not getting any younger at least in Hollywood terms and her choices are hardly that commercial but then is she getting any decent offers? Whatever happens I hope she's smart enough to have saved well for her future so if everything does fall away she's financially secure. 

(edited)

Oh yeah hal they probably are but I'm still enjoying it despite that. I love Gillian, she looks better with every passing year.  

The show's been the Beckett show for 6 seasons +, season 7 was suppose to be Castle's season - we got 3/4 episodes (7x01/7x02/7x20/7x23) all of which have "wrapped up" things up for him, not satisfactorily by any means.

Oh I agree it's been Beckett-centric for too long and Katic has had it good (until this season) and they needed to shift some of their focus back to Castle but it's such a shame that when the writers got around to doing so they made a complete hash of it.  I don't understand why they can do such a good job overall with Beckett and her trajectory but mess up so consistently with Castle. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

That's the nice thing about genre movies. Nathan will probably do nicely with SF parts, even if he is not a lead. Besides the comic con circuit, he does live theatre, web series (Con Man/ Assassin Banana/ PGPorn/Neil's Puppet Dreams/ The Guild among others), and voice work.

And of course, he is part of Joss Whedon's stable.

Look at Jewel Staite , who I know from Firefly, but who makes a decent living from romance/made for TV movie roles. Mind you she's been in show business since elementary school. Or Katee Sackhoff or Tricia Helfer- working steadily, rarely top of the bill.

Unfortunately, Stana, in spite of her talent and beauty, does not seem to have networked the way those actors have. I don't think she's done much outside of Castle, nor does she seem to have the connections that make her someone that would be a 'go -to' choice.

It's tough, especially once past the ingenue stage and before the mother-of the bride stage.