Type keyword(s) to search

The Castle Renewal Thread

Elysium1973

Thanks halwideman, I forgot the Exec part there for story editor for TPW. He was in that position at the beginning of the show's run well (2010-11), Story Editor (2009-10) and then moved to the Producing categories 2011-12 onwards.

Just checked Hanning was showrunner on Hope & Faith and Courting Alex (also creator of the latter).

But I am all for fresh blood if it means keeping the cast intact and fresh storylines, etc.

ETA: whoops turnitwayup answered the above already.

Edited by Nadine

ETA: So glad this isn't a Shonda show right about now.

Yep, this is why I hate season finale time. Pretty sure my Grey's days are over. Which is unfortunate, because after a silly/stupid season or two it had picked up back into being interesting. Except Shonda isn't coming back from what she did tonight, and I'm pretty sure she's just lost aaaaaalllloooootttttt of goodwill. I saw a spoiler on tumblr by accident (the perks of working late, I guess) and I was halfway through my DVR'd episode and I just turned it off. I didn't even see the end. I wonder if they'll even pick it up for another season now.

But on the upside, that Grey's episode makes all the mess on Castle look like candy, so there's that.

Nothing in the above article is true.

Nothing meaning the tibit about Bowman or Dara Creasey (that would be so weird) being tapped as showrunner or nothing meaning Stana's negotiations aren't going better than last week and S8 is still a far off dream?

I know, I know. But after that Grey's episode (it wasn't even the finale!), I had to ask.

Edited by McManda

Story Editor is just a title bump. And also very low on the food chain.

Staff Writer

Story Editor

Exec Story Editor

Co-Producer

Producer

Supervising Producer

Where does Consulting Producer fit in there? That's what Christine Roum has been listed as this season. 

Where does Consulting Producer fit in there? That's what Christine Roum has been listed as this season.

Wiki says that a consulting prod barely works on the show or specialized in subjects to help other writers. The Creaseys are at supervising prod level this season so I guess they might be at co-exec prod next season.

Thanks for the explanation halwideman!

The other one who has a producing credit (Supervising Producer same as the Creaseys) is Jim Adler. So if all three stay around they'd be the obvious choices to move up another notch in the producing credits.

Tonight's Shonda Rhimes main event illustrates why I won't go anywhere near her shows.  But it does show in no uncertain terms that networks can kill off main characters and still go on.

RIP Beckett? ;-).

Edited by TVWithPity

So  do you think the poor supporting cast has to wait until Stana's contract is signed before the network talks to them? Or did they get a call once Nathan's deal was done?  I kind of feel bad for them either way, but I guess that's Hollywood.  I hope they at least talked to Nathan and Stana and had a sense of how contract negotiations were going.

Tonight's Shonda Rhimes main event illustrates why I won't go anywhere near her shows.  But it does show in no uncertain terms that networks can kill off main characters and still go on.

RIP Beckett? ;-).

It's a little early to see the impact this will have on Grey's.  But if you look at ER, that show lost all of it's original cast after a few years and still went on for 15 seasons. Hospital shows like ER and Grey's are very different than Castle, in that they have so many cast members that it's easy to gradually swap people out.  Castle has been all Castle and Beckett for 7 years and you can't change that as easily.

If it did go on without Beckett, I would hope the ratings completely tank to get ABC to see how foolish they were to try.  And maybe to get Stana some more credit for the show's success than she may get now (in mainstream media anyway).

• Love 2

This doesn't really open up any new territory in Grey's, though. We've seen them have to deal with the loss of a main character (or one of their own) at least 4 times before ... and not always to death. George died, Izzie walked out, Cristina moved on, Mark and Lexie died (almost at the same time). This is nothing new. It's lazy writing and a complete cop out and the people that have watched the show from the beginning (me included) are going to feel cheated and let down. This was a shock factor decision, possibly spurred by some anger on Shonda's part. It's like somethine set her off and she thought "hey, let me prove to them that they're all replaceable!". It's too soon to see how it affects Grey's. The show can survive (storywise), but I'm not sure the loyal viewership will let it. This wasn't George. This wasn't even Mark and Lexie. And I'm not sure people are going to get over over. Definitely not quickly, if at all.

You want a jump the shark moment? This was it.

Castle doesn't have the same sort of luxury. It needs Beckett to keep going, from a viewership perspective for sure, and from a storyline perspective more than Grey's does. Beckett isn't as replaceable as a Grey's character. Tonight's Grey's solidified to me that if the worst happens and Stana doesn't sign and the show kills Beckett - I'm out. I'm out faster than I was out of tonight's Grey's. (And I didn't even finish that episode.)

I don't think I'll ever forgive Shonda for what she did tonight, and it hurts the most because it completely taints the rest of the series. And not even from here on out, but the previous episodes, too. Because I'll always watch them and know what happens. The same would be true with Castle. I'd rather they just end it than do something so completely awful.

Apparently Patrick Dempsey was getting a little difficult behind the scenes, wanting to be a racecar driver or something. So Shonda being Shonda said "screw your more than a year of remaining contract" and killed him off in the most "screw you" way possible, in a car and at the hands of people who talk back to women in a leadership position. There's definitely symbolism in how he died. And Shonda likes to teach her lessons.

Edited by FlickerToAFlame

Are those rumours founded? And also, that seems like a great way to make it so people don't want to work for you in the future. Who knows what might set her off and make you the next shocking example death.

Castle fandom likes its drama, but I guess the GA fandom drama's got to be a million times worse right now.   And any real or imagined (mostly imagined, imo) bts drama on Castle would pale alongside the rumoured GA bts stuff.  Never watched GA, never could get into Shonda's shows for some reason even though I gave all their pilots a try.  For fans who do watch GA, I'm curious, do fans also believe that the romantic leads love/hate each other?  I just wonder if that's a feature of fandom for all shows with a strong romantic pairing.  It must suck to be them right now if they've shipped this onscreen couple for so long, but when you have long running series without a set end date, I guess you are always going to get actors who get tired of the grind and want out at some point, no matter the incentives.  And when actors want out, it can be hard to find a graceful end to a love story.

Guess the character death goes to show no one is indispensable to a show.  The showrunner and the network are always the bosses and they are willing to show it, which isn't a surprising fact.

I saw a headline about the "marital strain" on Bones.  Never watched that show either, but that's the kind of thing (along with character death of one half of a couple) I never hope to see between Caskett if that's what happens when the writers can't think of story in season 10!  

Edited by madmaverick
I don't think there's any kind of love fest between MilMar and Fillion. The network decided who's going to sell and a 2009 Fillion was hot to trot. 

Moved this over from Elysium's post on the media thread. I don't see any huge creative love in there either especially between Fillion and Marlowe. I saw a quote floating around a while ago supposedly from Marlowe back in 2009 explaining why he chose Fillion and I remember at the time thinking the character you describe is nothing like the Castle I see on my screen these days - he's completely changed and not for the better and I wonder what happened there.

I listen to Fillion talk about Joss Whedon and I can feel the warmth and respect in their relationship when it comes to their various collaborations but with Marlowe and Fillion despite their years working together I don't get that vibe at all from the few things I've heard. I'm not saying they hate each other and I certainly don't believe some of the rumours flying around that suggest Fillion is responsible for making demands to get rid of MilMar/Amann etc. It's all up in the air right now as to what Marlowe's plans are but I doubt that Fillion will be that cut up about it if he departs as long as the studio has made appropriate replacements. 

I saw a headline about the "marital strain" on Bones.  Never watched that show either, but that's the kind of thing (along with character death of one half of a couple) I never hope to see between Caskett if that's what happens when the writers can't think of story in season 10!

Isn't Bones on it's tenth season? I think so. They hooked up towards the end of S6 so that's a few years of happy coupledom and then you start the arguments and angst up. That's what Castle fans will have to look forward to if the show gets past 8 seasons and probably even before that. When you consider what's happened in the past when the writers have tried to inject confusion, insecurity and secrecy into their relationship to cause "organic" problems for them to tackle it's been a mess and caused a lot of upset and arguments with fans.

Like you I sincerely hope they never get there and choose to end the show on Castle and Beckett blissfully happy with a baby because they're just not very good at writing this couple tackling these sort of issues in a remotely believable way given their supposed maturity levels. I end up usually disliking both of them as characters by the time they're done.  In any case ongoing martial strife is hardly my definition of light and frothy Monday night viewing so I can do without it on Castle thanks. 

Edited by verdana

As for Shonda, I don't watch that show but wow that's one way to deal with a perceived problem, I'm glad I've never got emotionally invested in anything she does because it seems like you're living on a roller coaster of emotions wondering what's going to happen next. I feel sorry for those fans left in shock and upset by what's happened. 

Events like this make me relieved that we've got play it safe and dull MilMar at the helm. Heh. 

Some are comparing it to Castle and how anyone can be disposed of but I don't see it that way, this show cannot survive without both leads because that's all they concentrate on. There is no ensemble cast to take the focus off Fillion and Katic week in week out so if one of them leaves you're in a shit load of trouble.

Edited by verdana

I don't think there's any kind of love fest between MilMar and Fillion. The network decided who's going to sell and a 2009 Fillion was hot to trot.

Was he a big commodity in 2009, though? He had a recurring role on Desperate Housewives for a season (half a season?) and had done Dr. Horrible, which at the time was internet only (at a time where people were still driving to the video store and renting DVDs). He definitely has more name appeal now than before Castle, IMO, especially outside the sci-fi realm. I really don't think they cast him just because they thought he had the star power. I mean, of the main cast, yeah, sure, ans especially next to the then-unknown Stana Katic, but it's not like he was George Clooney or something.

• Love 1

Was he a big commodity in 2009, though? He had a recurring role on Desperate Housewives for a season (half a season?) and had done Dr. Horrible, which at the time was internet only (at a time where people were still driving to the video store and renting DVDs). He definitely has more name appeal now than before Castle, IMO, especially outside the sci-fi realm. I really don't think they cast him just because they thought he had the star power. I mean, of the main cast, yeah, sure, ans especially next to the then-unknown Stana Katic, but it's not like he was George Clooney or something.

Not George Clooney by any means, but he was also in Two Guys, A Girl, And A Pizza Place (later renamed to just Two Guys And A Girl) and he had his soap following from One Life To Live.

And Dr. Horrible, even in 2009, was really making a name for itself online, which is part of the reason, I suspect, it was released on Blu-Ray.

Oh, for sure people knew who he was. He had a decent pre-Castle career. And of the cast, he was the one with the name appeal. But I doubt that that's the only reason they cast him, especially if he doesn't get along with Marlowe (as was suggested). I feel like he was more "oh, yeah, that guy!" and not "omg ... must watch for Nathan Fillion!".

• Love 2

NF is a good working actor.

He's shown himself adept at comedy (Dr. Horrible, Two Guys and a Girl, Outing Riley), at drama (Saving Private Ryan, Firefly, Serenity, Drive) as a leading man (Slither, Waitress, White Noise II), romantic (OLTL, Waitress, White Noise 2, Trucker) and as a member of an ensemble cast (TGG, OLTL, Firefly, DH).

ABC had him under contract so he was handy. And he has a reputation for being easy to work with.

Stana Katic @Stana_Katic  ·  6h 6 hours ago

Thanks 4 all the well wishes! Filming a movie off-grid. Working w/fantastic people in a secret location. Looking 4ward 2 sharing when I can.

I suspect she's now concluded her negotiations, she's doing a movie and I can't see her still wrapped up in sorting out Castle whilst doing this too.  It wouldn't surprise me if the network made an announcement at a convenient time for the publicity.

I suspect she's now concluded her negotiations, she's doing a movie and I can't see her still wrapped up in sorting out Castle whilst doing this too.  It wouldn't surprise me if the network made an announcement at a convenient time for the publicity.

I'm not so sure. Actors, as long as they have cell phones, WiFi, and fax machines can still negotiate while doing other things. I just think - and could be wrong and ABC is indeed waiting for the upfronts - that if SK has resolved everything, TV Line or Deadline would blast it to the skies especially since they didn't hold off on announcing NF re-signing.

From the TV Wise guy (heh):

Patrick Munn
‏@patmunn
@RyanPaulAddison the renewal isn't done, Stana's deal still being worked out. Anything anyone else is saying is premature.

I do hope that the sticking point isn't about the number of episodes Stana will do in a full season because a) I would hate for the Daily Mail to be right about anything, and b) I would hate the idea of Caskett not being in every episode.  I would rather take a shortened season with every cast member on board than a full season without everyone there.

• Love 1

Are both NF and SK now with the same agency?

Nathan moved about a year ago to CAA which is a big one and Katic also changed to Gersh and Gotham if my search on Google is correct. I think where was speculation at the time that the moves were related to them wanting to go somewhere with better negotiating powers prior due to the timing but I don't have a clue if that's true, there could be a number reasons why they moved. 

If Stana signs on for x episodes, they should do only x episodes. Maybe a couple more than x and have the requisite secondary character stories. She has to be in a majority though for the show to end on a high note.

The deciding factor for the network is going to be how many episodes makes financial and business sense for them.   I don't know if it's cost effective for the network if Stana is only willing to do less than the usual number of episodes and you have to factor in her salary, advertising income, Nathan's salary, the salaries of all the other cast and crew, and of course whatever they have available on their books to fill up their schedule.

I believe the agents work at the actors' directives so the actor is always going to be closely involved in negotiations through his/her agent.  

Broadcast TV Buzz: ‘Castle Set To Be Renewed, CBS Eyes Shortened Final Season For ‘CSI’ & More at TV Wise

That leaves the one bubble show that should not be a bubble show: long running procedural Castle. Despite innacurate reports to the contrary, Stana Katic’s deal is not quite set nor is the renewal finalised. That being said, it is within days of happening. While progress on a deal with Stana has been slow, my sources say it will close by Tuesday, paving the way for an official 24 episode pick up by the end of next week.

An official 24 episode pickup is more than they've had since season 5, right? (I think season 4 had 23 episodes, too.)

Is TV Wise legit? It seems odd to me that they've put a timeline on it - "close by Tuesday ... with an official 24 episode pickup by the end of next week". Although, I guess it is May now, so upfronts, finales, and pickups are all happening any day now.

(edited)

An official 24 episode pickup is more than they've had since season 5, right? (I think season 4 had 23 episodes, too.)

Is TV Wise legit? It seems odd to me that they've put a timeline on it - "close by Tuesday ... with an official 24 episode pickup by the end of next week". Although, I guess it is May now, so upfronts, finales, and pickups are all happening any day now.

Yes, and I think the past couple years were always 22 episode orders, with an episode (or two) added in the middle of the season.

Wasn't TV Wise the one that said the new showrunner was going to be either Rob Bowman or Dara Creasey? Which Creasey, at least said wasn't at all true?  It does seem weird that he wouldn't just say it was going to close this week, but maybe there's some kind of meeting set for Tuesday.

Edited by KaveDweller
(edited)

Yeah it was S5 the last time they had a 24 order, I went and checked back:

S1 - 10

S2 - 24

S3 - 24

S4 - 23 (was 22)

S5 - 24 (was 23)

S6 - 23

S7 - 23 (was 22)

As for the information, I think Hal said they had duff info before on who the showrunners might be so...who knows but it would be great news if they could wrap it up soon. 

Edited by verdana

Nothing meaning the tibit about Bowman or Dara Creasey (that would be so weird) being tapped as showrunner or nothing meaning Stana's negotiations aren't going better than last week and S8 is still a far off dream?

I know, I know. But after that Grey's episode (it wasn't even the finale!), I had to ask.

FYI... Dara Creasey is already on another show, Jane The Virgin. So even if there is a Season 8 of Castle, she won't be part of it.

Too bad about Dana leaving, but good for Jane the Virgin (which is a fantastic show - do check it out).  Any chance she might come back if Castle is renewed?  I know from a friend on another show that was just renewed that some of her colleagues often juggle waiting for a renewal with taking other jobs just in case. 

I tried watching Jane the Virgin ... and didn't really like it. I couldn't get into the telenovela feel. I wanted to like it, but I just didn't.

Has Dara mentioned leaving Castle? She's been pretty vocal about loving her (current) job, so I think it's a little weird for her to leave, unless she was trying to cut her losses if Castle was canceled.

Unless ... could she do both? Writing one or two episodes on both shows?

Renewal and pilot notices have been coming in fast and furious on tvline.com today.  Only slightly embarrassed to say I've been checking it repeatedly for news on Castle.  Just saw they posted two stories about ABC shows - new ones for Fall, and a renewal for Once Upon a Time (Yippee!) Might mean news for us is coming soon...

Make that 3 stories about ABC shows - including the fact that they've ordered 6 dramas to series. Hope that leaves some room...

And Forever's been cancelled (Boo!)

(edited)

Eek! I know these announcements are imminent, but they always make me nervous. I'm more nervous this season than usual, even though I'm fairly confident things will be fine.

... sigh. I hate renewal time.

Also, I'm kind of frustrated that Shonda Rhimes has another show for ABC. I'm mostly disillusioned with her at this point. And I'm just waiting for when they rename ABC to SRN - Shonda Rhimes Network - because that's what it's turning into.

Edited by McManda

Me too, McM - this time of year I keep a running list of which shows I watch and whether they've been renewed, and I've had to make a few painful cuts these past few days.

Ooh, another announcement: ABC cancelled Forever.

Do I stay up and wait for news? Or go to bed and check before I go to work in the morning? Decisions!

(edited)

So Dara's reunited with Josh Reims who was at Mistreses. Is Chad going with her or staying? Thanks kfc for the tidbit.

I'm glad The Family got picked up. Absolutely loved that pilot script.

Edited by Nadine

And ABC says goodbye to Cristela.

Is it bad that I hope the more things that get cancelled at ABC means there's a better chance for Castle to be renewed?

(edited)

So the dramas that are gonesters are Revenge, Resurrection, Forever (and most likely American Crime and Agent Carter).

Edited by Nadine
(edited)

And since "Cristela" and "Castle" share many of the same letters, my heart skipped a beat when I read that.

Hahaha. The photo caught my eye before I read the headline, so no mini heart attack for me.

For what it's worth, last year ABC announced Castle's renewal on May 8th. That was a Thursday, too.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1

ABC usually announces a bunch of stuff at the same time, don't they? I think that happened last year.

But at this point what I really care about is Stana's contract.  Because a renewal without her is worse than a cancellation, IMO.

• Love 1
(edited)

One hurdle at a time, I think. (I still think a renewal is pretty much a given, and that Stana will sign, but that doesn't mean I'm not nervous.)

ABC axed Resurrection, too. I think that's 7 shows they've canceled from last fall?

EDIT:

Yes! Bedtime for me. Castle officially renewed for S8.

Edited by McManda