Type keyword(s) to search

The Castle Renewal Thread

Elysium1973

Thanks again Hal getting back on those points, that all makes sense. 

madmaverick. Yeah I was thinking the same what a relief everyone can be happy after hearing the news this morning but oh no there's still time for yet more fan drama. You would think most of those still stirring up a fuss would be exhausted by this stage.   

(edited)

I see people already laying it all on NF and suggesting that SK holds out her signing because she fights for the other cast members.

Like I said, people need a viillain and for some people it's always the same villain regardless of facts, logic, or their complete absence of knowledge about the actions or opinions of any of the parties involved in the matter.  Hal, unfortunately I find this blame game terribly annoying more than fascinating at this point because it always follows the same script without fail.  So according to those people, Nathan is the bad guy again because he has to be responsible for getting whatever Stana and all the supporting cast want from the network.  Why do they need agents in the first place?  Just get Nathan! ;)   All the blame as usual, none of the credit.

Actually I don't see anyone blame Nathan. So why you create more drama?

I don't want to create more drama but blame directed at him was some of the first responses to this "news" coming out at that source.  I wish I didn't see it.  I'm tired of seeing it.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

This isn't TWoP, so there is no boards-on-boards rule.

With that said...

There is also no need to bring over tweets and such that have no basis in facts, i.e. no real source, just the thoughts of John and Jane Doe, to cause mass meltdowns and hysteria here. I'd like to think we're all adults. So let's keep the drama elsewhere and be courteous to fellow posters and take all the media with a truckload of salt until things are verified.

Thank you.

• Love 1

Any one but Fillion is replaceable on Castle even if the fans don't like that idea, as for the secondary cast I'd suggest they're even more vulnerable than on other shows which have a genuine ensemble feel to them - Castle doesn't so they're all fair game no matter how well liked. I'd be disappointed if they were gone or replaced but it wouldn't stop me watching the show if Stana had gone that's a different story. 

Oh, I agree. It is called Castle, after all.  :-)  I guess I had hoped that we would get one last season with the whole gang before the show comes to a close.  If it does.  I suppose a new setting/new characters could re-energize the show, which could be a good thing too.    

I prefer discussing what we see on the screen and rarely follow the BTS stuff, so I usually have no clue as the backstage dynamics.  With some shows it's entertaining to hear about things that affect what we get on screen but I get uncomfortable when the internet goes BSC about it.   

• Love 1

However it could have been the network who wanted to get this done quickly and painlessly so they only went for one and plan to go through this again next year. I would not be surprised by that in the least.

My follow-up question has nothing to do with online drama or personalities, but the changing nature of TV viewing. Since short-run, binge-able dramatic seasons on nontraditional outlets like Netflix are not only getting critical acclaim but lively word-of-mouth (or word-of-mouse for the online stuff) action, do you anticipate that networks will be more interested in limiting contracts to single seasons in order to be nimble enough to take advantage of increasing unpredictability of audience tastes and sources?

• Love 1

This is pure conjecture and speculation from me but I wouldn't be surprised if all this was leaked from people associated with the show to drum up interest. Because let's face it. Scandal it ain't. No one gives a crap about this show except pretty much us. 

That's my speculation too. Knowing who CastleTV.net is connected to from the show, that was my very first thought. And for the same reason. Though, after this debacle, I think perhaps ABC Studios should revoke whatever access they've given her to information. Maybe they will. 

Thanks for all you're willing to share, Hal. Much appreciated and fascinating to digest. 

(edited)

I think this is all systemic of this generation of television viewers.  Now EVERYONE with a wifi connection has an outlet for the voices in their head. Sometimes that is a good thing, and sometimes that is a  bad thing.  People are allowed their opinions, but I feel like society has lost objectivity. Plus once something is out there forget it.

Yeah I'm with you on this, there's definitely a lack of objectivity no question and a lot of folks who need to keep what's going on in their heads in there.

Patrick Munn @patmunn  ·  2 hrs 2 hours ago

In short: Castle fans, calm down.

Oh Patrick we're talking Castle fans here, come on.

Patrick Munn ‏@patmunn  1h1 hour ago

@manamitru @CastlesOldHaunt I agree deals not done. It's the recast/culling the cast that is BS. ABC source laughed when I checked if true

Patrick Munn @patmunn

.@manamitru you really think I'm gonna give up a long time source at the studio? Move on.

And to someone tweeting to give up his source.

I wouldn't be surprised if all this was leaked from people associated with the show to drum up interest. Because let's face it. Scandal it ain't. No one gives a crap about this show except pretty much us.

Harsh but true. Fans can forget this, it's all consuming and important to them understandably but that can distort some fans judgement. 

ETA Sorry Wendy I didn't see you post about bringing tweets across about this particular story until after I'd posted.

Edited by verdana
I also think that not so far off into the future you will be singing Network shows go down to 13 episode seasons. I know fans have very little sympathy for writers, but 22-24 episodes is a lot and it's hard to keep things fresh.

That's the norm often over here, 13 episode seasons.  I think it helps keep cast and crew fresher and they suffer less burn out creatively. It can't guarantee quality but it can't hurt either, it seems such a long slog for shows doing a 23-24 episode run with barely a few months off and then back again doing prep work and then you start all over again shooting, such a grind. I can tell by the time they're getting to the end of the season that the actors are often looking tired and starting to phone it in, the writers too. 

Absolutely. Not only do I think it's what Networks are interested in, I know they are. American Crime and Secrets and Lies are examples of that. Those are two examples of single season deals.  I also think that not so far off into the future you will be singing Network shows go down to 13 episode seasons. I know fans have very little sympathy for writers, but 22-24 episodes is a lot and it's hard to keep things fresh.

I've been waiting decades for this.  I watch a lot of British television and appreciate that they make as many episodes as they need to tell the story, although maybe not as much of a fan of having to wait years sometimes between series (seasons). 

Lately I think we are contaminating them with our 42 minute show lengths and 13 episodes season format.  (Thumbs down on how that's affected nuWho, mainly.) 

Any one but Fillion is replaceable on Castle even if the fans don't like that idea, as for the secondary cast I'd suggest they're even more vulnerable than on other shows which have a genuine ensemble feel to them - Castle doesn't so they're all fair game no matter how well liked. I'd be disappointed if they were gone or replaced but it wouldn't stop me watching the show if Stana had gone that's a different story. 

They could replace Castle.  Have him get murdered and then Alexis becomes a cop to get justice. Her last name is Castle too, so the show title works.  People might not watch, but they could try.  

That story is clearly not true, because why would ABC recast Esposito or Ryan? You could easily just write them off and bring on a new detective to work on the team.  People would miss them, but it would be less distracting than a recast.  Same with Lanie and Gates.  Martha and Alexis are the only ones that can't be replaced by another character, but they are used so little these days why would they bother? Just write them off.

Absolutely. Not only do I think it's what Networks are interested in, I know they are. American Crime and Secrets and Lies are examples of that. Those are two examples of single season deals.  I also think that not so far off into the future you will be singing Network shows go down to 13 episode seasons. I know fans have very little sympathy for writers, but 22-24 episodes is a lot and it's hard to keep things fresh.

We're American Crime and Secrets and Lies just renewed? 

• Love 1

Yes they will both be different stories. American Crime is like FXs American Horror story. Secrets and Lies will follow a different case.

Okay, that makes sense.  I was wondering what the hell Secrets and Lies would do next year.

I don't get all the fuss about American Crime though, all the characters are so unlikable.  That can work on a show like Scandal because they started off likeable, and because there's so much craziness going on.  But on American Crime they started off unlikable. Even the victims.  And I just find it boring.

Of course I just wish this show would end before it gets even more pathetic - but that's just me. And when's the last time it got $12M viewers? Season six. Wasn't their last outing like 8 something with a 1.4 share? Pretty tragic.

I just hope they do a short 13 episode season like they did on The Mentalist and not drag this shit show out over 23 incredibly painful episodes. Please, ABC/TPTB let this show end with a little class.

I wouldn't hold my breath, Elysium, especially when you consider Fox has also renewed Bones - also tired now - for S11. Maybe syndication supplements some of the costs and the networks are fine with some revenue rather than none, so here we are.

Very happy about TPW. But wasn't the other guy that THR announced yesterday (from season 1) confirmed by Hal? Or was it just not definite yet? I'm not questioning your reliability, Hal, you just seemed like the other guy was who you thought it was going to be too.

Very happy about TPW. But wasn't the other guy that THR announced yesterday (from season 1) confirmed by Hal? Or was it just not definite yet? I'm not questioning your reliability, Hal, you just seemed like the other guy was who you thought it was going to be too.

I think the fact that TPW has been announced as showrunner should be enough to call into question any source that confirmed Barry Schindel as the showrunner...

Wasn't their last outing like 8 something with a 1.4 share? Pretty tragic.

It's not tragic. It's pretty much par for the course, especially for the time slot. It's tragic compared to previous seasons, I suppose, but we're not comparing ratings to previous ratings. The ratings that matter are compared to other shows on the air at present. I mean, if you wanted to compare it to something to make it seem tragic, Numb3ers in 2010 (a middle of the road, later-in-life crime procedural) was pulling a 5.5. And it still got cancelled. It's all relative.

Hmmm. I like TPW (and so does Stana if I recall, if that has/had any bearing on her contract negotiations), so I don't mind him as a showrunner. I

'm all sorts of confused with all the speculation now, though. I just wish ABC would decide something, release a statement, and be done. I'm tired of all the twitter confirmed stuff, and the TVLine/Deadline/Hollywood Reporter/Entertainment Weekly scoops, plus anyone with an internet connection being able to stir up drama.

• Love 1

The fact that The Hollywood Reporter (not exactly a random blogger) mentioned Barry Schindel's name suggests his name was considered. It's surprising they would get something like that so wrong.  I noticed that that Patrick Munn guy from TVWise said oon Twitter that Stana has an "agreement in principle." Whatever that means.  But he also said Dara Creasey was probably going to be showrunner and doesn't want to acknowledge he was wrong about that.

But I agree with McManda.  I don't think anything's official until we get confirmation from ABC.  That's clearly not going to happen until the upfronts though so we're clearly in for a few more days of drama and speculation. It's a shame, cause normally talking about a show is fun.

The worst case scenario for next season is they clear house like the Practice did in their last season and get rid of everyone except Nathan, then spend the whole year prepping for a new spin off.  After thinking about that, whatever actually happens will sound good.

(edited)

Hmm I was about ready to go off to bed but come back for one last look and it's Old Man Winter now helming the show...okay that makes sense and he would have been the one if they were going in house was most likely to get the job but I was already getting used to the idea of Schindel LOL. I dread to think what the next bit of gossip will bring tomorrow morning.

Edited by verdana
I'm guessing Schindel passed on the money in the 11th hour. Schindel was actually the second choice.

Was TPW the first choice? Or did their first choice pass, too?

You think that's still a possibility all because the press pulled the trigger on Schindel's deal making and then it didn't?

I think KaveDweller was being mostly facetious.

I'm fairly certain that things will be just fine, but until ABC says so, I'm going to be cautious. Kind of a hope for the best, prepare for the worst kind of thing, I think.

I noticed that that Patrick Munn guy from TVWise said oon Twitter that Stana has an "agreement in principle." Whatever that means.

It sounds to me that it's like what hal has been saying. She's got an agreement in place, but that still needs to be literally signed by her, for anything to be official. But it's essentially official, like a verbal agreement instead of a signed contract at this point.

ABC Renews ‘Castle,’ ‘Nashville,’ Marvel Duo, Shonda Rhimes TGIT Trio & More at Variety.

Still up in the air is Stana Katic‘s status for the eighth season of “Castle,” which has locked down her male lead Nathan Fillion. The eight season will see a shift in showrunner, as David Amann will be stepping away from the show, replaced by Terence Paul Winter. The new showrunner has served as a producer on “Castle” and has written episodes on the crime procedural.

Chad Gomez Creasey ‏@chadgcreasey  2 hrs2 hours ago
Chad Gomez Creasey retweeted Michael Ausiello
Huge congrats to @OldManWinter14! #Castle is in good hands for Season 8.

The first choice wasn't available.

That's fair. I guess I just still don't get what anyone is worried about. Even if I didn't know things...it all seems pretty par for the course.

No this guy is a tool bag. Because when NF's was announced it wasn't signed. None of this shit will get signed until production starts if even then. The whole problem is that NF'S never should have been announced. So now everyone is on pins and needles waiting to hear about Stana as if she's in some different position as NF which I can't stress anymore that's she is not. 

The first choice was Shonda Rhimes, right? ABC thinks they can actually make TGIM a thing?  (kidding!)

It may be par for the course, but the media sure is acting like it isn't.

What I am actually more curious about is why Amann left/was let go.  I know it's typical for showrunners to change late in a show's life, but it seems weird that they'd bring him in last year, just to make another change this year.

• Love 1

No this guy is a tool bag. Because when NF's was announced it wasn't signed. None of this shit will get signed until production starts if even then. The whole problem is that NF'S never should have been announced. So now everyone is on pins and needles waiting to hear about Stana as if she's in some different position as NF which I can't stress anymore that's she is not.

I guess these sites/gossips are good at their jobs, then? Because I think that's why they're doing what they're doing. They know the Castle fans are clamoring for news, so they release whatever they can whenever they can, even if it's not finalized.

It sounds like you're Nathan and Stana are in the same spot - both have agreed to deals but may or may not have actually signed them. But because they can't spin it as drama, they've chosen to pretend that Nathan's is more finalized than Stana's ... because saying Stana might not sign/hasn't yet signed/getting to break the news that she has signed will get them the clicks that they want.

If it were me, I'd be annoyed if I had to come back into town in my time off to sign something, so I get having a verbal agreement until everyone comes back in July. Especially if I were Stana, going off and getting married and being out of the country and all that. (And yes, fax machines exist. [Though I'm not sure why.] But finding one while she's filming might not be the easiest thing, and even if it were, it still seems like a hassle if they've all but closed the deal anyway.)

(edited)

Yes but from what I have read here they are connected to Marlowe and Terri. While I know there is no big love fest between you peeps here and those too...I don't think they are the ones spinning this bad press. Say what you will about their writing, but they have zero interest in making the hand that feeds them, and the actors looking like a bunch of ass clowns.

FWIW, the administrator of that fansite is very close with the Devers as well. 

As for the shortened TV seasons, I welcome that. I believe it only helps tighten writing and storylines and makes the product better overall. Cable started that trend (though admittedly they probably saw how well it worked overseas for British TV and decided to try it here) and, IMO, produce better shows for it.

I have no doubt making 22-24 episodes of TV is very hard. Other showrunners have said this many times (Shonda and the Kings of TGW come to mind). Which is why we're seeing more fall premieres then midseason premieres (and now summer-only shows with shortened episode orders). The landscape is changing and I welcome it. Though I wonder how long the networks will take to move in that direction since it feels like they maybe make more revenue off a traditional September-May TV season? Hal, am I wrong in that presumption? 

Am I the only one trying to read what Chad's plans are for the future from that tweets of congrats to TPW? lol 

Edited by S55
  • Love 1

I honestly have zero idea what happened with Amann. I would like to say that it was normal...but with the way Marlowe took over all press is sort of a flag. 

Not a red one, but definitely something up.

I thought it was odd how Marlowe was always around even when Amann was supposedly in charge, there was never a period when I felt Amann was actually in control. AM was meant to be taking a back seat role right to develop new projects let Amann do the showrunning stuff or so I gathered unless that was a load of PR bullshit. If so he had a funny way of showing it because Marlowe continued to give interviews either alone or with Amann from the get go. It's going to be interesting to see if the same thing happens with TPW. 

Hahahaha. Would be funny with her in charge.

If Shonda was in charge I could see Beckett pregnant with Espo's baby, Castle having an affair with Gates and Alexis killed off in a car crash along with Martha. 

If so he had a funny way of showing it because Marlowe continued to give interviews either alone or with Amann from the get go. It's going to be interesting to see if the same thing happens with TPW. 

Marlowe gave interviews with Amann at the beginning of the season, but then he pulled back and Amann was doing them all solo.  We know he was still in the writers' room, but Amann was the front man.  But then a few weeks ago suddenly Amann was nowhere around.  That's what made me think he was forced out or something.  If he was just walking away you'd think they let him continue through the rest of the season.

The interesting part will be who (if anyone) does post-finale interviews, Marlowe or Winter.

(edited)

The media is acting bat shit crazy and playing into the fandom for clicks and giggles.

No kidding! Similar to those in the media following Dempsey's departure on Grey's.  I assume many were laughing at the fan drama, but, boyhowdy, they were milking it for clicks.

Edited by pennben

But if Amann was forced out then the question is why? I know the guy wasn't popular around here, but he wasn't all that much different that Marlowe. He spoke the same. Nothing really changed in the final cut of the episodes. Did people just not like him?

What I want most from TPW that I think he could actually do is:

- less gimmicky theme of the week

- most focus on the relationships and less time on exposition

-- subset to this, maybe more overt romance with Castle/Beckett, but not super necessary

- turn the lights on

• Love 1
(edited)

Way to keep fueling the speculation Jon

Jon_Huertas: Wow!!! Congrats to @OldManWinter14 on becoming #Castle ‘s new show runner!!!  Well deserved.  Hope we get 2 be on the ride with u! So proud!

It's someone else who was on Castle and left.

I figure it's probably someone from the 1st 4 seasons. I know Jose Molina is doing Agent Carter, Alexi Hawley latest shows just got cancelled while Rene Echevarria apparently was doing Teen Wolf but his last credit were in '14. Laurie Zaks is exec producing a show that got picked up. Moira Kirkland might still be with Hawaii Five-0. I can't think of anyone else that left that were higher up in the producing level.

Edited by turnitwayup

Way to keep fueling the speculation Jon

That Tweet makes me think he is trying to drum up support to use as some kind of negotiating tactic.  Especially if it true that Seamus knows the person behind that CastleTV.net  site.  Maybe that's what was behind Seamus's "End of an Era" post last week too.  I wonder if ABC has actually started negotiating with them yet or if they are waiting for Stana's deal to officially close? I can see them getting annoyed by that, but it kind of sucks to has it all out on Twitter.

But if Amann was forced out then the question is why? I know the guy wasn't popular around here, but he wasn't all that much different that Marlowe. He spoke the same. Nothing really changed in the final cut of the episodes. Did people just not like him?

What I want most from TPW that I think he could actually do is:

- less gimmicky theme of the week

- most focus on the relationships and less time on exposition

-- subset to this, maybe more overt romance with Castle/Beckett, but not super necessary

- turn the lights on

That's why I'm so curious about Amann, I can't think of why he'd be forced out.  Maybe he got an offer for another show, but you'd think we'd have heard by now.

I agree with your whole list of improvements.

(edited)

TPW might be the show runner, but I have very serious doubts that MilMar are going to be that far away. hal would know better than me, but so far MilMar haven't been able to get their last two pilots off the ground. It would be different if they a show that was waiting to be unleaded on Pilot season, but I don't see any evidence of that. So my personal feeling is that TPW will be more like "head writer" while Marlowe is still making the overarching creative decision. Do you think Marlowe would go for TPW breaking them up, or one of them dying, or any other fundamental change to the narrative? No bloody way. On paper they're "gone", but MilMar has been TPW's boss for many years. I don't expect them to never step back in. And maybe that's good or maybe it's bad.

The other thing that really has me concerned (and hal can back me up) is that all actors are assholes. Yes, even precious Stana and lovable fluffy Fillion. And then there are actors who are truly evil - but that's another thread. My point is that you can guarantee that part of their new deals was time off (much more time off) and money of course. And a whole bunch of pendatic bullshit like Nathan's trainer, etc. and I'm sure Stana had some dopey thing in hers too. That said, if they really are going to drag this show through 20 something more episodes you'd better get prepared for more of Det/ME/Student/International Spy Alexis solving crimes with her dad while Kate wears baggy shirts and has a pretend phone call. And, of course, your Ryan/Espo/Laine/Martha/Tori/Gates/LT/Royal the Dog focused episodes which I'll be sure to tune out for.

The way around this is 13 good, solid episodes. Or as well as they can do at this point.

I think after the finale I'm going to stop watching altogether and come here to see just how bad the episode is before I watch (from people I respect like verdana. That should save me a lot of wasted time.

Edited by Elysium1973

Confirmation bias anyone? Nice to see everyone's opinions here are respected. Sorry but that just made me laugh.

FWIW, my opinion is I'm thrilled the show's renewed and hope it's for as many episodes as possible. It entertains me, even on its worst days.

Agreed that there seems to be little chance of a change in direction if Marlowe is still involved. If TPW is allowed to guide this massive ship on his own, and do it even half as well as his best written episodes, I'll be happy.

• Love 1

But long running shows also have higher costs and there's more pressure to make budget cuts, and that could come with culling the cast as well.

What higher costs? Outside of the cast salaries and general inflation?

The basic sets are built. The writers seem to come and go, so I guess they are sorta temps/contract workers?

Maybe the showrunner could rein in on things like putting fresh flowers in the apartment every shooting day, or buying dozens of coats for a character on a civil service wage?

(edited)
so far MilMar haven't been able to get their last two pilots off the ground. It would be different if they a show that was waiting to be unleaded on Pilot season, but I don't see any evidence of that. So my personal feeling is that TPW will be more like "head writer" while Marlowe is still making the overarching creative decision.

Do ABC owe MilMar one more chance at creating a new project for the network before they cut them loose? Because that's the only reason I can understand both continuing to hang around taking a back seat for developing other projects when both of their previous efforts haven't even made to the pilot stage.  So far their ideas have not been presumed attractive enough to get off the ground with the network and I can see them continuing to milk Castle for as long as they can. 

The way around this is 13 good, solid episodes. Or as well as they can do at this point.

I'd prefer a shorter season because it just might help them plan the season better and cut down on the filler and aimless plotting but it doesn't seem to be likely that's going to happen  If they more likely get a full order then I can envisage a repeat of this season but with reduced screen time for Stana and Nathan.  Even if they know it is the last season I don't see it will make any difference to their approach, they'll continue to pad things out as much as they can and probably cram any really good stuff into the last two or three episodes. 

Penny Johnson Jerald @btwprod  ·  2h 2 hours ago

So excited for @OldManWinter14! Congrats!

laurie zaks ‏@lzakshorn  3 hrs3 hours ago

Congratulations @OldManWinter14 new #Castle show runner. Brilliant choice. I'm so proud and happy for you. 10 more years ! #Castle.

All the cast and even former crew are starting to tweet congratulations to TPW so he's clearly the one. 

Edited by verdana
(edited)

But long running shows also have higher costs and there's more pressure to make budget cuts, and that could come with culling the cast as well.

What higher costs? Outside of the cast salaries and general inflation?

The basic sets are built. The writers seem to come and go, so I guess they are sorta temps/contract workers?

Maybe the showrunner could rein in on things like putting fresh flowers in the apartment every shooting day, or buying dozens of coats for a character on a civil service wage?

It makes sense that an ageing show ends up costing the network. The ratings start to decline in the all important demo, the revenue they can get in from the marketing people must drop accordingly, you're still having to pay the cast and crew and then they'll want a increased wages and more benefits but the revenue stream isn't making up for it any more. I'm not sure how much the book tie ins help cash wise they're probably not as important as fans think, although they got syndication and that's an obvious benefit.

That's why I'm not surprised we've had a lot of new directors on the show this season and it also explains some of the long term crew departures because they can be replaced with someone eager to get their foot in the door and so pay them less. I expect them to do more "bottle" style episodes in future because they're cheaper and any dramatic episodes which in the past would have had big set pieces will have something more low key plus they'll work more in the studio as they try and save costs with location fees etc. 

At this stage since they've renewed it must still make good commercial sense for the network to keep the show going based on the accountants number crunching but I'm sure once that line gets reached where doing the sums it becomes clear they'd be better off putting those resources into something else they'll drop it like a stone. 

Edited by verdana

Both Jon and Seamus should have their heads banged together.

Yeah what's with that? Seems stupid to me tweeting stuff like that out but then there was Stana with her endless "goodbye" instagrams which after a while got increasingly annoying so they're all it playing games in some way or another with the fans by the looks of it. 

It's someone else who was on Castle and left.

Oh, for it to have been Rene Echevarria, I have really liked stuff he has done in the past before Castle. Plus, S1 & S2 are at the core of my Castle love.

My point is that you can guarantee that part of their new deals was time off (much more time off) and money of course.

How much time are you betting they want off now? Fillion's time off has been rather obvious, for example, they are standing at the murder board and then go to see wooden!Tory where Castle disappears, they go back to the murder board and Castle reappears in two scenes later - no explanation. Maybe he gets the shits after listening to Espo’s “Yo!” and has to go to the little boys room. Though, at least it’s nowhere as bad as Danno’s constant disappearances on Hawaii 5-0.

Yeah what's with that? Seems stupid to me tweeting stuff like that out but then there was Stana with her endless "goodbye" instagrams which after a while got increasingly annoying so they're all it playing games in some way or another with the fans by the looks of it. 

I agree, the unnecessary drama created by Stana, Seamus and now it seems Jon has just escalated fan freak-outs.

Maybe he gets the shits after listening to Espo’s “Yo!” and has to go to the little boys room. Though, at least it’s nowhere as bad as Danno’s constant disappearances on Hawaii 5-0.

Ha. I'll be thinking that's exactly what's happening from now on.  I can see it becoming a bigger problem if Elysium's assumptions are correct. Everyone realises the show revolves around the relationship between Castle and Beckett, that's what draws people in and generates the most discussion. They'll have to make changes in their approach to accommodate Stana and Nathan's demands next season and I'm intrigued how they'll disguise it without unsettling the fans, Nathan's reduced screen time is already noticeable and I bet his agent has negotiated even more as will Stana's. 

Echevarria, that would have been exciting news, he seemed to have a good grip on everything. I don't know why he left with Molina at the end of S2, did they have a falling out with Marlowe? 

Wow, I only went off-grid for a day, but Castle managed to deliver lots of drama even with no new episodes ;) Usual high-stakes conspiracy but with a simple touch of human folly, brilliant two-parter material.

A lot of information to swallow, disappointed with TPW as a showrunner due to reasons already mentioned here. Love him as a writer, the only one I can depend on to still deliver at worst mild entertainment and continuity, but usually something more special than all the other Castle writers. But showrunner? Any hopes for some creative change seem to be dashed (never say never of course). Also color me tired of these more and more obvious games media, network and some of the cast play with fans. I thought this recasting "leak" was the new low, I can't see it as anything other than Seamus and Jon generating hysteria for leverage in negotiations, and can't respect that. Sure, contract negotiations never bring out the best in people, and secondary cast especially needs all the support they can get, I understand that. Still. Maybe I'm just tired of all these fandom hysterics and crazy speculation since SK started posting her goodbye pics and then NF's supposed (don't know what to believe anymore) signing was leaked, how long we've been living this? A month? Feels like a year.

Anyway, I hope they're gonna wrap it up real soon for everyone's nerves sake.

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree, the unnecessary drama created by Stana, Seamus and now it seems Jon has just escalated fan freak-outs.

I don't understand is what are they trying to achieve exactly? Generate support from their fans? Strange because all they do is confuse and worry them needlessly about exactly what's going on which further adds to all the fuss swirling around and if it's directed at the network I still don't get it. They hold all the cards as far as I can see so stirring things up publicly in some attempt to strengthen their negotiating position makes them look misguided and poorly advised. It's the first time I've ever watched negotiations play out on a show that I watch and it's left a rather bad taste. 

What I get from the likes of Hal or Elysuim is that if fans really knew everything that goes on BTS with some of their favourite actors they'd have their eyes opened more than somewhat, a case of the more you know the more you don't want to know. Ignorance really is bliss. Castle isn't some big deal to the network, these actors aren't A listers, it may be unkind but the likes of Jon, Seamus etc should realise they're expendable at the end of the day and they're all on to a good thing by the looks of it. 

Gant's right this saga feels like it's been dragging on forever.  Hope ABC can make some formal announcement soon and Seamus, Jon and the rest of them perhaps might like to go on a sabbatical away from twitter whilst they're tying up the loose ends.

Edited by verdana
(edited)
Robert Hanning @RobHanning  ·  8h 8 hours ago

Yes. In the same meeting where we decide how much to pay ourselves and determine who will win the World Series  Robert Hanning added,

raine0885 @raine0885

@RobHanning does the writers vote for who will be the show runner of #castle ?

LOL the questions some fans ask, I usually don't like Hanning's habit of making sarcastic put downs to fans but I smiled at this one. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

I don't get the argument that all actors are automatically assholes for asking for things in their contract. I mean, they are people so they obviously have flaws and all that, but the contract just seems like business to me. If I was in a position to work fewer hours for more money I would take it, especially if I had a job where I had been working 60 or more hours a week.

I'd still rather have one more season of the show with reduced screen time for Stana/Nathan than end it now. I'm not ready for it to be over and I think we can still get good Caskett moments with less screen time for them. I don't mind a couple episodes like the plane one if the others make up for it.

If Jon/Seamus keep up their Twittet behavior, I may agree they are assholes though. Maybe ABC is try to screw them over and they are fighting back, but getting the fans upset seems unnecessary. And honestly, I would still watch without them.

Because when NF's was announced it wasn't signed. None of this shit will get signed until production starts if even then. The whole problem is that NF'S never should have been announced.

Not to press you too much, but why do you think they announced Nathan signing on for S8? It did seem a little out of left field to be honest, I thought they could have waited for and included it in the renewal notice.

I don't understand is what are they trying to achieve exactly? Generate support from their fans? Strange because all they do is confuse and worry them needlessly about exactly what's going on which further adds to all the fuss swirling around and if it's directed at the network I still don't get it.

I'm unsure as to what they were trying to achieve too. The problem with the Castle fandom is that it is mainly concentrated on tumblr and twitter, meaning the most the fan reaction you seem to get is #crying or #myunicorncantleave. This fandom could not organise a piss up in a brewery, let alone any coordinated fan campaign of years gone by.