Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chili's

I haven't seen it yet, I'm confused about what the hype surrounding it is. I only heard about it about a week or so ago and now my twitter feed is full of stuff about it. Is there something special about it?

What are your mod duties, everyone? I'm curious! 

Guardians was awesome. Though, sometimes all the CGI/Green Screen makes my head hurt a little bit. I really enjoyed Rocket and Groot. I wasn't as impressed by Drax as everyone else seemed to be and I have an irrational hate for Zoe Saldana so I could have done without her. But Chris Pratt was amazing, as was Lee Pace (though I wish he had gotten more to do). 

All in all, I think it's one of those movies that will prove to be infinitely rewatchable. Like the first Avengers. 

It might seem like a crazy mod to poster ratio but we don't all mod the same forums. I happen to mod this one but also others as well. I'm just getting started, have the training wheels on some only learning the duties at this point.

I think it's mostly to keep the peace and keep things active (where possible)

• Love 1

@Glory, infinitely rewatchable--definitely. I would have stayed in my seat and watched it again from the beginning if I could have. SB's birthday is coming up (Labor Day this year, actually) and we were going to steer him to seeing Ghostbusters with his friends and instead we might have a party the weekend earlier and see Guardians again.

Thus far mod duties are pretty easy--I still have to test the "housecleaning" waters as it were--editing topic titles, starting an episode topic, merging duplicate threads etc. I also haven't swung the hammer yet, but it's pretty chill where I've been poking around. We have lovely guides who have been wonderful, too. 

Ugh. Our water heater decided to go out in the middle of the night last night (why do they always do that? Same with furnaces), so I woke up to no hot water.  Fortunately, the gym I'm a member of is just up the street, so I was able to shower there.  I'm at home now, while the old heater is swapped out for a new one.  Fun city!

On the good news front, my niece-in-law (my nephew's wife) gave birth to her second child Saturday night, a healthy girl.  

"Requesting Clyde... requesting Clyde."

For those of you still searching for your new Hateball team name.

ETA: Anyway, there's going to be a Boxcar Children movie. According to IMDb, it comes out August 5th. Unless I hear that it's awful, I'd like to go.

Man, I just watched that trailer. That animation style looks dreadful. Anyhow TooLateKev, let us know if you go.

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 1
When the lady whispers, "Big boys don't cry... big boys don't cry..." I heard it as, "Requesting Clyde... requesting Clyde." I DON'T KNOW, OKAY?

All I know is that part of the song gave me the creeps, big time.

Mod duties? Seems to be just general peacekeeping, like Kalliste said.  So far I'm just feeling it out.  I'm only backup on The Office stuff. It seems like the attitude here at PTV is more just keep the peace and keep things on track, less militant than some other sites.  Although, honestly, I've never really had an issue at any other site I've posted at.  

Would you like me to start some shit so you guys can lay down the law? 

I'm out in the field all day today. It will be fine, and the day will go by fast. I just don't like doing it. I like my desk. 

We were worried about what a jetpack would do to the back of the knees. I don't think I can handle the consequences of one in my fallopian tubes.

Firefox's spell check flags "jetpack" but I don't want to spell it as two words.

Firefox's spell check flags "jetpack" but I don't want to spell it as two words.

I know! Damn you, firefox spellcheck! It's too funny that WLIIA did that skit- not only you guys mention it here, but my sister called me to give me the heads up (she's east coast time so I got a few hours notice -Oh yes, some of my family is aware of the jetpack infatuation)  I watched WLIIA last night. "I didn't want to come anyway"

Our water heater decided to go out in the middle of the night last night

You live in Alaska. Aren't you a tiny bit happy that it happened in August, and not January?

What is the transport that the comedian mimes? A jet pack. I think jet packs are a distraction for some kind of pending doom. Or maybe a super cool surprise.

Stewedsquash ... I can see you're trying. You're the kid on the teeter-totter, standing in the middle, trying to balance it. "Pending doom" over here, or "super cool" over there. 

I think the thing you need to know is : Jetpacks will only be super cool.  Just not in a fallopian tube.

King of Birds:

Our water heater decided to go out in the middle of the night last night

You live in Alaska. Aren't you a tiny bit happy that it happened in August, and not January?

Oh, definitely.  I did say to my mom that at least it wasn't the middle of winter. It was even light and reasonably warm at 5:30am when I had to run up to the gym to shower. 

Fortunately, the plumbing guys were able to come out right away, so we had a new tank by 2pm.  Something else that probably wouldn't have happened in the middle of winter, since heating/plumbing businesses have a lot more emergencies then.

I heard about the earth farts. Not good.

I have resigned my mod gig.  I realized pretty quickly that I just wasn't going to be able to put in enough quality time to be good at it, so I'm going back to being one of you normies.  I have to say, though, in my brief time hanging with the big dogs they all seemed to be really cool, funny, nice people. This is a good place to be.

Anyway, there's going to be a Boxcar Children movie. According to IMDb, it comes out August 5th. Unless I hear that it's awful, I'd like to go. Also, D.B. Sweeney is in it as the baker; I loved him in Strange Luck. Any Strange Luck fans?

Ah, man, why did they do that crappy animation?  It didn't need to be animated, and it looks Sims-level.  I surprisingly didn't read them as a kid, but I read some to my own kids. The LiberryLad especially liked them. I'm not going to tell him about this version.

So basically the earth farted upon the sky.  In a big way.

Eep!  Well, that's alarming.

Also, the soundtrack has Hooked on a Feeling, AND Spirit in the Sky, AND I Want You Back!!  Like, the BEST SONGS EVERRRRR!  I think I'd see Saw Eleventy-Nine if it included those tunes on the soundtrack.

Ew. Did anyone else's brain immediately go to how the sicko's behind the Saw movies would use Hooked on a Feeling in a disgusting punny kind of way.

Careful what you wish for LiberryLady

• Love 1
and keeping up with the latest jet pack news.

How did I miss this part of Pixel's post?  Wouldn't it be great if CNN and FoxNews added "jetpack news" to the runner going under the picture. "Sports" ... "US"... "World"..."Syria"..."Iraq"..."Jetpack"

ETA  Even at the beginning of Guardians OTG, Quill was walking on that other planet to get the orb, and he ignited little foot- jetpack boosters to get over the one gap that was too big to step/ jump over.  And we know how much everyone here liked GOTG. Underneath it all- there be jetpacks.

ETA2: Y'all should check out the "Food" thread here. There are lots of polls to partake in. Right now, some heathens have voted for crunchy PB over creamy PB- so please get over there and bring balance to The Force, do something good today.

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 1

I like both peanut butters! I used to only ever buy crunchy and now I only buy smooth.. but I kind of want crunchy right now :P

So, the last few days I was on a work thing where I was stuck with the same people for about 16hrs a day.. I'm not good with being around people for that long and basically wanted to harm everyone by the end of it.

So glad for the weekend.

The important thing re: peanut butter is to buy Jif.  Because Annette Funicello told me that "Choosy moms choose Jif."

I'm not good with being around people for that long and basically wanted to harm everyone by the end of it.

I can remember when my kids were little, at the end of the day when they would be poking around, getting ready for bed,  I would say, "I'm all out of wonderful."  I just needed  to not hear anyone else's voice for a while.

Y'all, I think my TV is gaslighting me. We had to replace the old one, and the new one keeps randomly turning on by itself.  The LiberryLord is all, "A cat stepped on the remote?" "It's turning on for a show to record?" but nope... neither of those were true.  A couple nights ago, as I was at my computer with my back to the tv, it turned on when I was reading about HAUNTED ASYLUMS.  GAH!!!

• Love 1

Yeah, I went for a walk alone at about 7:30am just for some time by myself. There were people around going to work but obviously none of them were interested in making conversation with me.

Sounds like your tv has a sense of humour :P

Yeah, King of Birds just made me waste mucho time-o over in the food thread

You're welcome!  Here's more food related stuff- remember when I linked that kickstarter for the guy making potato salad? He's making a career out of it like he's a Kardashian.

Learning how to boil potatoes

Making t-shirts

Potato guy in a video like he's from Boyhood the movie

edit:

In other news, I am apparently stumbling into a real life episode of The Office, as my team will be participating in a murder mystery (teambonding) dinner!  I hope I get to play Voodoo Mama Juju, witch doctor of the Savannah swamps.

This post is a month old. I wanna know what happened, if you used an accent, if you were the killer, etc.

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 1

And again, King of Birds strikes again, in the wasting mucho time-o

You're online, you click links here, there, wherever. But I'm the one who leads you to "things that waste time"-? Be thankful you're not in the online group devoted to Hateball.

Pinterest and twitter lead me to the most lost hours. Oh, and fanfic when I get on a fanfic-reading spree. "Ooh, I've read this but it's a good one. Let's see what else they've written and re-read all that, too." :/

Edited by Too Late Kev

I've kind of gotten over fanfic. It's gotten harder and harder (that's what she said) to find good quality fic.  Plus, once I stumbled upon a Harry Potter one that was a slash threesome between Harry, Ron, and Hagrid. You can't ever unsee that.  I mean, come on...one of them is a half giant. How's that going to be good for anyone?

• Love 2

Ew, the same thing happened to me.  It was a fanfic with Snape giving Harry an angry handjob. The Harry Potter fandom is the freakiest of all fandoms.

Eww...

Also YAY for Poorly Drawn Lines @KingOfBirds I love it's complete randomness

Ew, the same thing happened to me.  It was a fanfic with Snape giving Harry an angry handjob. The Harry Potter fandom is the freakiest of all fandoms.

I don't usually post to say this, but I literally laughed my ass off. Literally. It's on the floor behind me now. I am assless.
  • Love 1

This post is a month old. I wanna know what happened, if you used an accent, if you were the killer, etc.

Remember this quote from "Murder"?

Dwight: Frankly, I'm not surprised. A lot of the evidence seemed to be based on puns.

That was basically the same for us too!  Ours was a case set in the 1920s, involving murdered mafia don Lou Zar**.  Other characters names included Scott Free, Jenna Cide, Amanda Lay, and so on.  I was assigned the role of Trish Fish, Lou Zar's longtime assistant (AND more than his assistant, if you know what I mean).

It actually ran pretty well and was surprisingly fun.  The game was led by two actors who also took on roles of characters, but would stop the proceedings from time to time (act breaks) and ask people questions so everyone could hear specific clues.  Everybody had a notebook with dividers, which contained pages with bio info and clues.  At each act break you could look at the next section, so no one had all the information from the get-go.  We were also told to pair up with another teammate to share info and turn in one sheet at the end solving the case.  This was convenient as one coworker, now called Doug E. Fresh Graves, and I had already discussed hanging out during this game so we paired up.  We also solved the case!  Which realistically had less to do with our gumshoe skills and more to do with us each have one of the really important clues in our notebooks, so that was kind of a fluke, but I think that also made us get more into it than either of us initially planned.  The whole thing, from being assigned roles to talking to the other players to turning in a solution to the case took around an hour and a half, I was concerned based on the initial schedule we were given that it was going to be several hours, which seemed like a long time for this activity.

**Groaning at that? It gets worse!

• Love 1

Not my chicken. I blame it all on Trish. Or, people are still getting caught up in the Angry Handjob post.

Stewedsquash was saying I lead people into "time sucks."  Well, nothing quite compares to watching 1970s-80s music videos.  Thanks so much LiberryLady for that!

I seem to have missed several days of posts here. Not sure how that happened.

I wonder if we could market a peanut butter for the computer age, and call it Gif.

That Korean potato salad looks like dessert! I really thought it was vanilla ice cream with lemon garnish. Very impressed it is actually potato. I think the rest of my cooking would feel sloppy and under-dressed beside that.

I think that murder mystery game is probably a lot of fun if the people get into it, which is actually true of most games. But it would depend on the crowd, because if people aren't into it, it will just feel silly. I have had what I thought would be fun activities at parties, and when the crowd is uptight and unwilling to loosen up and dive into the activity, it doesn't matter what you have planned, it's going to be miserable. I don't really have a crowd of people locally anymore, who I can rely on to be fun at parties, so I haven't hosted one in a while.

I'll just cluck now, in case no one has anything to say for a while after my post.

Cluck.

Whelp, it's no murder mystery but I played an awesome drinking game at Gen Con called Iron & Ale in which you are all dwarves that challenge one another to things like wrestling matches and boasting contests. Losers drink.

The game was hysterical and sold out at the convention. A great time was had by all.

If I played Hateball, my team name would be "potpourri of randomness."

I am going on a mini-road trip on Thursday (8/21). It's just to see a doctor, about 170 miles round trip. But I want to sing in the car. Suggestions for songs? The person doing the driving is a good sport.

• Love 1

I was going to change my Hateball names, but I just couldn't think of anything better.  I decided I still like Beefsquatches.  I was still going to change Pumpkin Kings, but my imagination just isn't cooperating.  I've got another week, though, so maybe something will spark an idea.

I have the pre-vacation blues.  This always happens after I schedule a trip and get the reservations made, but it's still too far off to get excited about (still have about 8 weeks).  Plus it's now dark in the morning when I get up (and for another 45 minutes after I get up), which just underlines the fact that Winter Is Coming.

• Love 1
(edited)

I like the Glee soundtracks for car-singing. And Queen. But the Glee soundtracks are just a bunch of compilations of pop songs so they make for good car-singing. 

Guess what! We got a new dog! Dozer has a sister! My FB peeps have seen this, but meet Lexi! She's awesome! (I hope this pic works)

LexiAdoptionDay%21.jpg

Dozer is still getting used to her. But he initiated play twice yesterday so I'm calling it a good sign. Now, if he would stop being such a turd about his food that would be ideal, but feeding them separately ain't no thang. 

Edited by Glory
  • Love 1