Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chili's

I'm the exact opposite--I hate doing stuff outside. Popping in my Jillian Michael's DVD or a tv show and hopping on the elliptical, that I can do.

Do you like RIpped in 30? I'm currently on Day 7 of 30 Day Shred and really like it so far. I was thinking of picking up Body Revolution next, as I have Yoga Meltdown but I don't like it as much as Shred. 

• Love 1
strap on

Hee hee. You said "strap on".

An hour sounds like a lot to start with Pixel. As the song goes, it's not how you start, it's how you finish.

I should clarify. I typically do (when I am working out) 45 minutes on the elliptical, or I do a full BodyPump DVD, which runs about 55 minutes. Although, I rarely do the cooldown so it's really about 45 minutes for me. I was just rounding up to an hour.  I don't adjust my workout time - I adjust the intensity.  So it's always the same time frame, I just work up to working harder a little bit every day.

• Love 1

Pixel's post gets a thumbs up on me just for picking up on "strap on".

I've never been in good shape but I do believe that at the moment I'm in the worst of my life.  I feel pretty much like crap and tired all the time and I know it's mostly because for this whole school year I've basically been a lump.  With the sun coming out and warm weather finally here I've been trying to make a point to get outside and walk, even if just to run errands around town.  It's minimal exercise to be sure, but I think it's important for me to start getting in the habit at least.  

• Love 1
Glory, on 02 Jun 2014 - 4:05 PM, said:

Do you like RIpped in 30? I'm currently on Day 7 of 30 Day Shred and really like it so far. I was thinking of picking up Body Revolution next, as I have Yoga Meltdown but I don't like it as much as Shred. 

I do, I like it a lot. I have another DVD (Extreme Shed and Shred) of hers, but I like the Ripped in 30 better mainly because I find it easier to follow. I may check out that 30 Day Shred. I find I like the way she motivates and encourages. I never watched Biggest Loser, but in this she shows how not to do something which I find just as important as showing how to do something. And it kicks my ass every time. I also appreciate that you don't need a lot of space at all.

Pixel, on 02 Jun 2014 - 4:06 PM, said:

Hee hee. You said "strap on".

I should clarify. I typically do (when I am working out) 45 minutes on the elliptical, or I do a full BodyPump DVD, which runs about 55 minutes. Although, I rarely do the cooldown so it's really about 45 minutes for me. I was just rounding up to an hour.  I don't adjust my workout time - I adjust the intensity.  So it's always the same time frame, I just work up to working harder a little bit every day.

Ahh, gotcha. And I don't do the cool down either. Usually because I'm gasping on the floor thinking: this is cool down enough. I'm not moving until the cool down is over.

• Love 1

Thanks, Toast! I'll add that to my list, then. 

I think Shred is very easy to follow. In fact, after the second or third time I can do it without my glasses on (they just fall off when I'm doing jumping jacks anyway, lol)!I just finished up my workout and then did some Ab Challenge that someone linked me to on facebook. 30 days of ab exercises. I did 20 regular sit-ups today and now I feel like barfing.  

• Love 2

How is a Fitbit different than a regular ole pedometer?

Welp, I did get out and walk 2 1/2 miles this morning, AFTER breakfast, when it was still cool.  Felt fine. I've also been drinking EmergenC, since it has electrolytes in it.  I can doooo thiiiiis.  I can get back into the exercising routine!

LL, a FitBit really isn't that much different - unless you count the social aspect of it and the ability to sync it to other apps. For instance, I have MyFitnessPal synced to my FitBit so I can track my food on there and then view my calorie intake compared to my calorie burn on my FitBit dashboard. I can also hook up with friends to see how many steps they've taken in a day and cheer them on (and try to beat them!).

Another thing that's neat is that the FitBit Flex (wristband) that I have has a sleep mode on it. It tells you how long it took you to fall asleep and how many times you woke up throughout the night - or if you were very restless. And it tells you down to the minute how much sleep you got. I've found that to be very enlightening. 

Here's the FitBit I have, so you can check it out. https://www.fitbit.com/flex

On a completely random note - it looks like I'm going to be in San Diego for a conference (not Comic-Con!) in July. Is that near either of you, LL or KoB

Pixel's post gets a thumbs up on me just for picking up on "strap on".

Let's just remember that I didn't write that, I copied it from possibilities post to me from last week.  I feel the real need to mention this.

it looks like I'm going to be in San Diego for a conference (not Comic-Con!) in July

San Diego is about a 3 hr drive for me, and it takes me 40 min to haul ass NW up to LL's house.  But- what other convention could be in San Diego in July?

I've done 30 Day Shred before and liked that one, I'd recommend it!  Perhaps I should try out one of these others you all are talking about for the summer, I like exercising outside but its getting too hot already.

And I'd second the recommendation to eat something a little while before you work out, like an hour or two before.  I've gone to a workout class after work without having an afternoon snack a few times and am always really shaky when its over. 

I will admit to being pretty verklempt, last night.  It's nice y'all are here today.

I feel the same way. It's sad and not sad at the same time.

I want to know how that flex thing measures sleep, because I could really use something to figure out WTF is wrong with my sleep. Going to a sleep clinic is just not practical right now, but I am really curious. I tried to read the product website, but they don't really give details. I have a heart rate monitor, but I'm wondering if this thingamajig does more than that. I am betting I have sleep apnea, but I'm really not sure. it's like I can fall asleep but not stay asleep. Or I can't fall asleep but then once i do I have trouble waking up. Or I sleep and feel no more rested than if I didn't. Or i can fall asleep during the day but even if I resist the urge to daysleep, I am wakeful at night . Or whatever. it's always something. I was never a great sleeper, but I did used to sleep. For the past... I don't know how  long... several months, I guess, it's like no matter what I do, it feels like I never sleep more than one unrefreshing hour at a time. Sometimes in the morning I can't tell if I slept except if I remember I had a dream. It's annoying as hell and making me a very cranky, useless person.

I am not going to start exercising any time soon. But sometimes I like to think about running on a treadmill. I don't know why, but I really, really get into it. I know people say it's boring, but when I imagine it, it feels like meditation but really exciting.

RE the mechanical wings, i agree they're not as cool as a jetpack (what is?), but that was still pretty cool., despite that the people who filmed the flight managed to block the camera so you couldn't see the landing.

I wonder what birds think of us. Do they feel sorry for us? Do they laugh?

I didn't write that, I copied it from possibilities post to me from last week.  I feel the real need to mention this.

I take full responsibility for my previous statements.

• Love 1
(edited)
On a completely random note - it looks like I'm going to be in San Diego for a conference (not Comic-Con!) in July.

When are you going to be there, Glory?

I could really use something to figure out WTF is wrong with my sleep.

Have you asked your doctor? I wonder if there's an easy way to monitor your sleep from home.

ETA: Heh.  This looks relevant to our work-out discussion.

Edited by LiberryLady

I'll be in San Diego July 13- 18th (maybe the 19th - not sure yet) for this http://www.esri.com/events/user-conference

I've never been able to attend before, so I'm super excited. I'm such a nerd. 

Possibilties, basically you tap the monitor twice to turn it into sleep mode. Then twice again once you wake up. In the morning you have results. So last night I went to sleep at 10:08 pm and woke up this morning at 6:02 am. According to FitBit I didn't wake up during the night but I had 35 minutes of restlessness over 17 different times and it took me 13 minutes to fall asleep in the first place. 

I don't know how it does it, but it'es pretty cool. 

(edited)
I want to know how that flex thing measures sleep

Things like the Fitbit, BodyMedia, BodyBugg (I have BodyMedia) measure your sleep through movement. At first I was skeptical, but I read a comparison someone did wearing an EEG monitor and doing a sleep study and wearing the BodyMedia and Fitbit  and even though they weren't measuring brainwaves, they gave essentially the same results that the real sleep study equipment did.  I can tell you from wearing mine for several months that I believe it was accurate. The nights that showed my sleep efficiency at less than 60% I felt like shit the next day.

I was on WW for one day and woke up today 3 lbs lighter. In the interest of full disclosure - my weight fluctuates very rapidly. Tomorrow I could be up 5lbs and then back down 2 the next day. But today, I am down 3.

Edited by Pixel
  • Love 1

Thanks for the info, Glory and Pixel. that's pretty cool.

LL, I should ask my doc, but I've kind of given up on him for anything outside his particular areas of interest. He's absolutely great for certain things but tends to dismiss or zone out over anything that's not on his usual list of things he cares about. This is the kind of thing I've found him useless for. But I should in theory ask him, or find someone else. I keep thinking it will clear up on its own. Basically, it started when i had pneumonia last fall. At first, I couldn't sleep because I couldn't breathe. But my breathing is OK now. I feel like my body sort of forgot how to sleep or something. I don't know.

I kind of like the 21 days poster. I would have thought it took longer, though!

I think this sums it up.  (you gotta scroll down a little bit to the comic)

RE: the cartoon, I have to confess that one of the worst things I ever did as a kid was throw a water balloon out of a high rise window, aiming for the bald head of a man in a business suit walking toward the entrance to the building. I hit my target perfectly. At the time I thought I was awesome, but it didn't take long for it to be pointed out to me that the man was probably totally freaked out wondering what the hell had hit him. But I am not a bird. I think birds get more moral leeway in this area.

I bequeath a completely unofficial Calvin & Hobbes Decree of Awesome to possibilities for throwing a water balloon on the bald headed man. Hi^5 forty-some years later.

Glory- you draw maps? For work or for fun? If you're one of these people creating gerrymandered districts, I shall boo you.  Speaking of- today is a voting day here in LA, they expect less than 20% of the voters to vote. Pathetic, huh?

I draw maps for work. I teach people how to draw maps for fun. LOL I don't do district mapping, though. Mostly I do emergency management maps for use by various local governments. It's pretty fun! 

I draw maps for work. I teach people how to draw maps for fun. LOL I don't do district mapping, though. Mostly I do emergency management maps for use by various local governments. It's pretty fun! 

That is so cool, Glory.

• Love 1

That is a very cool job, Glory.

I caved and ate some chips and dip instead of a decent dinner. My 3 lb loss will undoubtedly be wiped out tomorrow morning. 

Did you guys hear about the 12 year olds stabbing their friend in the name of Slenderman in Wisconsin?  My daughter is a huge fan of creepypasta and the Slenderman thing.  She doesn't seem inclined to stab her friends, though, so yay for that.

(edited)

That is a very cool job, Glory.

I caved and ate some chips and dip instead of a decent dinner. My 3 lb loss will undoubtedly be wiped out tomorrow morning. 

Did you guys hear about the 12 year olds stabbing their friend in the name of Slenderman in Wisconsin?  My daughter is a huge fan of creepypasta and the Slenderman thing.  She doesn't seem inclined to stab her friends, though, so yay for that.

I held firm and did not snack last night mainly because I didn't have any regular milk to go with the chocolate chip cookies. And my legs were rather achy. Also, I have not lost any weight. Well, I was 146 before I exercised yesterday and then I was 147 when I put on my pjs. So...yeah, weight fluctuates. Today is a new day, and you can only move forward. You can't change what you ate last night and no good comes in feeling bad about it.  Speaking of chips and dip, I've been wanting a dip so I'm making bean nachos tonight except I drain and rinse the beans and add half a cup or more of water. It's a pretty good dip, easy to make, cheap, and good for you. I don't have any avocado or tomato right now, so it's going to be very simple. I've made this chicken and salsa recipe; sometimes, I just make the salsa because it's so good on it's own in Tostitos scoops.

SB was talking about Slenderman a few years ago, but never really got into it. I showed him the article on CNN and he was a little incredulous: "Slenderman's not real and it's just a joke anyway." Right now he's on a Simpson LEGO kick and Minecraft, but I explained it's why we like to know what he's watching on the Internet. He also got his first orthodontic appliance to fix his over bite by pushing his lower jaw forward. He's drooling a lot, has difficulty speaking and eating. He'll get used to it, but he is not happy. I was thinking it would be good because you can't see it, really, but all the slurping and sibilant sounds really give it away.

ETA: I had to a not in there. SB is not happy with is appliance. Not happy at all.

Edited by frenchtoast
Also, I have not lost any weight. Well, I was 146 before I exercised yesterday and then I was 147 when I put on my pjs. So...yeah, weight fluctuates.

I never ever weigh myself more than once a day, and I always do it immediately after getting out of my morning shower.  If you weigh in the morning one day and in the evening the next, it will register that you weigh probably 3 lbs more even if you actually are losing weight.  I've had evening weights as much as 5-7 lbs higher than morning, and back down in the AM. Evening weights are bullshit. I never do that anymore.  When we were starting Biggest Loser here at work I purposely went to the first weigh in immediately after lunch to hedge my bets as much as I could.

Sometimes I'll weigh myself before a workout and then after you to see how much I sweated out. Scales are such a mind fuck.

I wanted to eat all the things last night, but managed to stay in my calories. Tonight is game night, though, so it will be difficult.

Scales are such a mind fuck.

True story. I try to remind myself that inches matter more than pounds, but years of conditioning are hard to battle.

Sometimes I'll weigh myself before a workout and then after you to see how much I sweated out. Scales are such a mind fuck.

I wanted to eat all the things last night, but managed to stay in my calories. Tonight is game night, though, so it will be difficult.

I'll weigh myself before and after a workout and I almost always weigh more after the workout. So, scales are not my best friend. Strangley, I've found the lower number at night before taking my shower, which makes no sense. But whatever as long as the long term trend is downward. On a program I did a few years ago they only had you weigh in once a week, but I want to see progress now, dammit, so I'm too fond of hopping on.

I did not exercise as much today as I have the past two because I have a school even to attend and I didn't want to get sweaty. I did get some in, so there's that.

I'm hoping to see Maleficent this weekend, but SB is saying he doesn't want to go. So, he might be left at home.

On a program I did a few years ago they only had you weigh in once a week, but I want to see progress now, dammit, so I'm too fond of hopping on.

I have an obsession with jumping on the scale every day. It's when I don't do this that I start the slippery slope uphill.  I also find that I'm heavier after a workout. I attribute it to muscle fatigue making you hold yourself differently.

Just thought I would let y'all know about that thread and hope you find some helpful hints in your goals!

Thanks, Squash! I might go check that out.  

I think I've heard good things about Maleficent.  We saw A Million Ways to Die in the West last weekend and really liked it, but we are also Family Guy fans.

Million Ways to Die in the West seems like one of those movies that I would laugh at because it is silly and absurd but not one that I'd spend all that much money on. In other words, I'll wait till it's on sale digitally and do that instead. Also, Liam Neeson is awesome.

On the other hand, my 11 year old son is so excited about the Transformers movie coming out in August because DINOBOTS! Mr. Toast and I? Not so much. Hopefully, a family friend, who seems equally excited, will take him.

I actually don't weigh myself at home.  I have a card where I record what I weigh when I go to the doctor, but I mostly go by how my clothes fit.

Three days in a row of gettin' out and walking 2 1/2 miles!  And I've been drinking (water) like a fish, and my dizziness is pretty much gone.

On the other hand, my 11 year old son is so excited about the Transformers movie coming out in August because DINOBOTS! Mr. Toast and I? Not so much.

Ugh.  I saw the preview in the theater last weekend, and poked the LiberryLord and whispered, "That looks ... LOUD." 

That story about two kids trying to beat a third to death was really chilling.

I think maps are cool. Glory's job is cool! I love maps.

I wonder, if they operate by detecting restlessness, if the fitness/sleep devices would confuse sleep with something like meditation, where you sit or lie very still. I've found that meditation can substitute for some sleep, but it's not a 100% interchangeable experience.

Which is cooler: jetpacks, or teleportation?

http://time.com/2800071/teleportation-quantum-entanglement/

I wonder, if they operate by detecting restlessness, if the fitness/sleep devices would confuse sleep with something like meditation, where you sit or lie very still. I've found that meditation can substitute for some sleep, but it's not a 100% interchangeable experience.

I'm sure they probably do get confused, but some of them have altimeters so they can tell what position you are likely in, and I can honestly tell you my BodyMedia was extremely accurate in knowing when I was napping or sleeping, and never confused just sitting still with sleep.

Cakepops.  Cross 'em off the to-do list. Thanks to LiberryLady, she dropped by, with 10 cakepops, using nutella frosting. Mmm.

I attended a high school graduation last night (my best friend's kid) and I realized I don't even remember my own graduation. I wasn't drunk, I wasn't alien-abducted, it was only 30+ years ago... shouldn't it have stuck with me even a little bit? I vaguely recall the whole "move the tassel to the side" thing.  I guess I wasn't impressed?

• Love 2
(edited)

KoB, my graduation was in '02 and all I remember is that it was about 90 degrees out and all I wanted to do desperately was take off the hot, scratchy robe we had to wear. I remember Guts driving me back to my parents house and us jumping in the pool afterwards! 

OH! And my friend wrote his entire commencement speech stoned. I remember that. 

Edited by Glory

Oy! I just binge watched all of season two of Orange is the New Black. What a great show. I wish I had spaced it out. Before it came out I told myself I was going to watch one a week and savor it. Nope.  

I don't remember much about any of my graduations.  Although I hold 3 college degrees, I also never attended any graduation ceremony for any of them.  I might go for my Master's though. I go to Northwestern, and one year Stephen Colbert did the commencement speech. if I get a speaker like that, I'll go.

I got my master's at Northwestern! But I just went to the journalism school ceremony, not the big one that everyone attends. But hey, Gwen Ifill from PBS was still pretty cool.

Cool, Sharky!  I'm not huge on attending college graduations, because doing all my classes online these days leaves me pretty disconnected from my cohorts and I don't feel that camaraderie that would inspire me to attend.  However, a big name speaker would definitely pique my interest.

Cakepops.  Cross 'em off the to-do list. 

Let me tell you, they were damn fine cake pops.  (Technically, cake balls, since they weren't on a stick, but I included one in case they were crucial to Birdy's experience.)  My own tasty, tasty nutella recipe, too.

Oy! I just binge watched all of season two of Orange is the New Black. What a great show. I wish I had spaced it out. Before it came out I told myself I was going to watch one a week and savor it. Nope.

I have no illusions that I'll be able to stretch out Orange too long -- I watched three the first night, and two the second -- but I'm trying to make it last a leeettle bit. And I haven't seen the episode yet, but I'm cracking up at a screencap of badass Vee's reaction to The Fault in our Stars. (Obviously, don't click if you don't want to be spoiled.)

• Love 2

Of my two graduation ceremonies I attended (high school and college, since I didn't go to any ceremony for my Master's) I don't remember much.  I remember other things about the graduation, but not really much of anything about the ceremony. 

But speaking of graduations, the one for the high school where I teach was on Friday and for the most part it was just fine, but everyone I've talked to has had the same complaint and it's the same one everyone has every year.  It takes too long to get to the students.  Because there are three students who give speeches--class president, salutatorian, and valedictorian--but before those speeches there are "remarks" from too many freaking adults that nobody cares about.  Like a selectman, for example.  Who wants to hear him speak?  And then the chair of the school committee.  And then the superintendent.  And then the principal.  And okay, the superintendent and principal make sense, but why those other two?  And while the superintendent and principal probably should speak during the graduation, maybe we could limit them to something like five minutes apiece?  The ceremony started at 6 PM and at 7 PM we still hadn't reached the student speeches part.  The three students together took less than 20 minutes to speak, but I'm pretty sure the chair of the school committee took about that much time just for herself. 

That was a long rant.  Sorry.

I watched 9 episode on Saturday and the remaining 4 on Sunday morning.  I might have liked to stretch it out, but I knew that would be difficult for me for social media reasons (mostly Tumblr).  But originally my whole weekend was pretty much spoken for and we're in the home stretch at school, which keeps me pretty busy.  So I was kind of worried that I wouldn't really be able to watch for a few weeks.  So when my Saturday unexpectedly opened up I took advantage and just binged. 

(edited)
And I haven't seen the episode yet, but I'm cracking up at a screencap of badass Vee's reaction to The Fault in our Stars. (Obviously, don't click if you don't want to be spoiled.)

It's not really much of a spoiler. :)

Smrou, I will never understand why those complaints aren't addressed and the ceremony altered. We have the same issue, and in a small town we also often have combined band/choir concerts with the elementary school and middle school, and awards ceremonies for all three schools combined. It's EXCRUCIATING. Everyone is there just for their own kid - come on!  And I have to sit through 3 hours of other people's kids getting awards. 3 HOURS! An hour and a half would be acceptable for that sort of thing. To make matters worse, they treat it like the fricking Oscars. Instead of having each recipient come get their award and shake hands and walk off, they have to do a 10 minute intro on each person, allow them to say a little something, and then move on. It's truly awful. My own kids, who get awards, have refused to go the last two years because it drives even them insane.  A few years ago my daughter burst into tears during hour 3 on stage because she just couldn't take it anymore.

Edited by Pixel

So.... We're putting in a new paver patio to replace our old, crumbly one. I'm excited and terrified we're going to fuck up this DIY.

Yesterday, Guts started pulling up the old pavers and I almost wanted to back out. I need that Amy Poehler gif. "It's happening!"

Anyone ever done this before? Tell me it's not hard because doing this DIY means saving so much money.

• Love 1

I haven't done that particular DIY project, but I've done others. I find some wind up being harder than I expect, but most of the time it's easy once you get going. It really boils down to doing the research to know what you're up against (TWSS) and making sure you have the tools and supplies needed. Then, confidence!! It sounds to me like what you're doing would be very do-able. I've wanted to do something similar here, but haven't had to guts to ask the landlord's permission (or to go ahead with out asking). Take before and after photos and post so we can see!

(edited)

I haven't done that specific DIY project, Glory, but I've done other ones.  I've never regretted it, but I'll tell ya... I always, always seem to end up with some small part of the the project that takes a ridiculously long time to finish. For example, I once spent an HOUR AND HALF on one stupid little nut under my sink.  (That... sounds TWSS-ish.) But, y'know... saving money!  Woo!!

You guys, the LiberryLord and I had the stupidest argument we've ever had last night, in almost thirty years of marriage.  We don't argue that often, and we don't get yell-y, but every once in a while we have a fight over the most ridiculous thing.  Last night?  Are you ready?  We had an argument over...

Emily Blunt's eye makeup in the movie in Edge of Tomorrow.

I AM NOT KIDDING.

We saw the movie; it was entertaining, but last night in bed I complained that "action hero" Blunt was wearing eye makeup into battle.  "It's unrealistic!  Why would she do that? And it stays on even after she's fighting!"  One thing led to another, and pretty soon the LiberryLord told me to "C'mon, just let it GO," and I was accusing him of "mansplaining."  And although we apologized this morning after a frosty night, we actually started getting revved up AGAIN over it and had to decide to just not discuss Emily Blunt's makeup anymore!

Edited by LiberryLady
  • Love 3

I'm dying about "mainsplaining." We had that fight over Heroes of Cosplay and why there weren't any chubby heroes showcased on the show. Instead, it was all super sexy women with fake boobs. Uh - not all cosplayers look like that! 

The pavers and gravel and sand are being delivered tomorrow. However, the perfectly clear skies we were supposed to have the last two days have instead been lots of rain and thunderstorms. So only about 1/3 of the old patio has been dug up. We were going to start leveling tomorrow, but I think everything is going to be pushed back a day.

Bah. 

• Love 1
We had that fight over Heroes of Cosplay and why there weren't any chubby heroes showcased on the show. Instead, it was all super sexy women with fake boobs. Uh - not all cosplayers look like that!

THANK YOU. Because it's not just about the chubby heroes or action hero makeup, right?  It's a symbol of a  bigger issue!

• Love 1
It's not EYE MAKEUP.  It's futuristic eye glare stuff, like football players use.

Yes, because "futuristic eye glare stuff" is indistinguishable from the eye makeup used by an underwear model in a JC Penny catalog.  [/eyeroll]

• Love 1

A little shameless self promotion -- I don't know if any of you (besides smrou, I saw your post) listen to the Extra Hot Great podcast, but I would encourage you to listen to this week's episode (#33) as I submitted the Game Time!

• Love 1
(edited)

You submitted that Game Time? Well done!  As you already know (since you saw my post), I thought it was a great one.

Edited by smrou
  • Love 1