Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chili's

Yes Trish, Clone Club Originals is inspired by Orphan Black.  And Trending on Twitter is my team as well, and it's just what I aim for in life now.

I apologize for mentioning cart escalators in grocery stores. I had no idea it'd become the topic du jour here. So, let's talk about Jennifer Lawrence's boobs going on the internet this weekend instead! To use a term from the summer bomb Sex Tape "Nobody understands The Cloud! It's a F'in mystery!"

No, no! You're not on my shit list! I just saw that thing and it reminded me of how you had a List which was inspired by Ryan Howard's List. Have you already forgotten Chili's and The Office, King of Birds?

ETA: We have lines of decency here? That is a change. ;)

Edited by Too Late Kev

Yay for Sarah Silverman. I can't decide if she's brilliant or pedestrian. I guess it depends on my mood.

Does anyone know about putting in hardwood flooring? Specifically stair treads? We want to put in bamboo, and the custom stair treads are $140 each.  Can we just do a stair nose or is that dangerous?

Edited by Pixel

No hardwood flooring knowledge. We had hardwood floors put in an addition that had to match a current hardwood floor, but the builders did everything. I'd never heard of a stair nose until just now, and then I Googled it to see what the heck it was. What are your stairs currently?

Edited by Too Late Kev

Did you catch his name, stewedsquash? If so, you've probably already Googled to see if he's on the sexual predator list or something. If you're not already a sort of cautious (read: paranoid) person like I am, you might want to become one for a while. Don't leave your garage door hanging open because you'll be back down there in a while, don't be the kind of person whose doors and windows are always unlocked and/or hanging open, etc.

I've never heard anyone say you can't put throw rugs in a washer; I certainly do it (although probably not as often as I should). TWSS on the last part.

In other news, I get to see french toast and smrou today in a previously tv meetup. :) We'll get to meet a few other previously tv folks, too.

• Love 1

Rant forthcoming.

Grocery shopping yesterday (not at the store with the escalators). An ENTIRE AISLE is now all decked out in Halloween crap. And, a mini display near the bakery section for Halloween themed cookies.

I'm sorry - it is a secondary holiday and they blow it out of proportion.  There is NO need for TWO months of Halloween crap. Can we not live our lives just on "regular" and not have to be bothered with all the ancillary shit?

I know certain factions who flove this misbegotten indulgence but the fact is - it's all forced. There was never this amount of build up when I was a kid, and I don't really recall any overkill like this until the last 5-10 years.  It needs to end, pronto.

• Love 1

My stairs are oak, but I replaced a cracked one with plywood. The new tread I bought to replace an old one cost $20. But it's super-ugly. That's all I know about stair treads.

Years ago, we had a guy deliver firewood for the wood stove, and he was so creepy that the second he left, my partner and i looked at each other and said: "he's going to come back and rape me." So she went over to the neighbors' house and told them what happened, and asked them to keep an eye out for creepy dudes skulking around, and not to open the door ofr this particular guy if he showed up. Luckily, he never did come back. But it was really weird and spooky just how badly we both felt after he was here. He didn't even do anything particularly disgusting, there was just something about him that struck both of us as alarming. And neither of us were at all uneasy with any of the other guys we encountered, so it was definitely this one guy radiating something. But he never did come back or cause us any trouble, so who knows? Hopefully, this wshing machine guy doesn't come back, but I gree with Kev that it's smart to take precautions.

RE front loaders and throw rugs, I have a front loading washer and I would wash a throw rug in it if I had any. I do throw in pretty heavy quilts, and haven't had any problems. My maching is almost 10 years old, and doesn't seem to have any issues, so I figure it's okay.

Did the guy say why not to put rugs in there? Are they too heavy? Too much dust? What?

One thing that puzzles me about my front loading machine is that it doesn't have a lint trap. My previous machines always did, and woe to anyone who didn't clean it out after every load. I asked a friend with a front loading washer and he said theirs doesn't have a lint trap either. I don't understand why the hoses don't get clogged and schmutz doesn't wind up in the motor, causing it to seize. That's what happened to my previous machine when the lint trap broke and we tried running it without one.

ETA: I love Halloween, but I agree with the rant anyway! I refuse to acknowledge the holiday until at least 10/1. And I wish all holidays would get less marketing.

Edited by possibilities
My husband wants me to shut up about it so I decided to put it on all of you.

Your husband needs to read the Gift of Fear.  Your guts were telling you something, and ladies' guts are pretty good indicators of danger!

I know certain factions who flove this misbegotten indulgence but the fact is - it's all forced.

Excuse me, but who put the stick up your butt?  Looks like you need Kevin Bacon to help you understand that this is The Mooooost Wonderfuuuul Tiiiime of the Yeeeear!!!

I love the Halloween crafts.  And decorations.  And the crazy costumes.  I love the way it gets dark earlier, and the leaves skitter along the sidewalk. I love the smell of jack-o-lanterns.  I love how it's a wild, dark, funny holiday, instead of prissy like Christmas.  And the CANDY... omigod, a holiday all about CANDY.  I love candy!  

I love Halloween so much, I literally leave some of my Halloween decorations up year-round.  So the Halloween store decorations are NEVER too early for me!

With the gas can guys, if you were up reading, it's possible yours was the only house with a light on, but...I don't think decent guys always "get" that we don't know they're decent guys. So they aren't thinking, "Would a woman be freaked out about what I'm doing if she didn't actually know me and my decent intent?" It's all, "Dum de dum dum, I need gas, it's 2 AM, hey, there's a light!" Bless your neighbor's heart for coming to your rescue.

And honestly, for at least a little while, be the person who locks the door!

Also, stewedsquash, weren't we kindred spirits right away, all of us? I think we were. :)

I remember feeling that way at first back on TWoP's Chilis. I think it was because there'd be times I'd check in and they were talking about music or something else I didn't know anything about. Eventually I realized that, like with any group conversation, there'd be times I had something to contribute and times I didn't. :)

It's nice to get new blood, but since some people have changed names from TWoP anyway, I'm sometimes confused about who's new and who isn't, plus names run all together for me. I'm terrible at names. Anyone else horrible with names?

I love fall but I don't really love Halloween.  It's fine and all, and I sure liked it a lot as a kid, but coming up with/making costumes is a stressful thing for me (luckily none of my friends have halloween parties so it's not something I've had to deal with since college).  So much pressure to be creative and crafty, of which I am neither!  I enjoy candy, though.  But I don't need to see tons of it every time I go to the supermarket for two months.  I'm too weak-willed for that.

But I do love fall.  After having 85-90+ degree weather for the first week back at school I'm really eager for it to cool off.  Tuesday (the first day of school) my classroom was 89 degrees.  It got a little cooler after that, but I don't think my room was under 83 degrees all week.  I'm looking forward to being able to wear pants (I stuck to skirts all week since they're cooler) without sweating like crazy.  

About 2 am, I was up reading and there was a knock at the door. I peeked out and saw three men with a gas can on the porch. I called my neighbor who lived at the top of the field and told him three men were on my porch and I was alone with the boys. He came down, I could see the men saying "they called someone". Turns out they were painters leaving a job late at night and had really run out of gas.

I'd be pretty freaked out if strangers knocked on my door at 2 am, too.  Even though I don't ever tend to assume people mean me harm (because in general they don't!) there are times to be cautious and calling a neighbor seems like a very smart move in that case.  

^^ Ha, yeah I felt a spirit but also I always feel like I am crashing y'alls cool party! I feel like Mindy's title Are You Guys Out Having Fun Without Me. No worries, I just think I am out of the loop with some of the stuff.

Hey I often feel like that and I've been posting at least occasionally in Chili's since the thread first opened over on TWoP. Edited by smrou
Looks like you need Kevin Bacon to help you understand

Huh? Kevin Bacon to ... make me dance footloose? Once again, LL is too obtuse. Probably due to rabid Halloweenism-itis infecting your brain.

I love the Halloween crafts.  And decorations.  And the crazy costumes.  I love the way it gets dark earlier <snip>

Strike 1, 2, 3 and YER OUT on "the way it gets dark earlier."  No One likes less daylight. Daylight is good. Daylight til 8pm is SUMMER, and summer is awesome.

I like Halloween, but I don't want to see stuff (except at the craft store) in late August-early September.  It's already quickly getting darker and colder (the leaves have been turning yellow and falling for two weeks now), and by the time Halloween gets here, it's really winter, no matter what the calendar says.

The only time I like it dark early in the evening is when it is warm outside,and that doesn't happen up here.  When I travel outside of Alaska, one of the things I enjoy most is being outside at night when it's warm; it's such an unusual situation for me.

Yearbook ads?  Wow, now I really feel old. I've never heard of such a thing.

Maybe the yearbook ads are supposed to be for local businesses? They get good publicity while congratulating the class of '14? I think most kids would be mortified if their parents took out a page to express their love. But what do I know. Maybe I'm just not sentimental enough for today's youth.

My washer is a Frigidaire Gallery (my decison-making went like this: Energy Star model, cheapest one sold locally). I almost didn't buy it because it always annoyed me when my grandparents called any and every refrigerator a "frigidaire"... but it really was the cheapest energy star washing machine sold locally, so I put money over peevishness. I've been quite happy with it, had no problems. I hope there really isn't a lint trap, and not that I'm just too stupid to find it. After almost 10 years of use, though, I"m pretty sure I'd know if there was one and I just wasn't noticing.

LL, that clip made me want to see Guardians of the Galaxy even more.

I'm a night owl, but I still like sunlight. I can sleep through the sunshine if I need to, but when it's dark too much or too long, I get glum. I imagine, though, that southern California sun might be a different animal than northern Massachusetts sun.

If anyone showed up on my doorstep in the middle of the night with a gas can, I'd think arson. It makes much more sense that they'd be looking for fuel, but I don't like unexpected visitors.

There's a family of ravens living in the neighborhood and they are making so much noise lately! They are funny birds, and I like to watch them, but today I have my curtains drawn because my eyes hurt, and I can still hear them carrying on outside. I really love it. But if it was foggy, it would probably feel like Poe.

One night, just after I broke up with my ex boyfriend, I had fallen asleep on the couch (granted it was my new bed, this time it was unintentional though) and was woken up buy this really loud knocking, it was about 11:30.. I didn't move, just hoped they would go away whoever they were.

It turned out they were the cops and wanted to know the whereabouts of my car that morning.. I guess they thought it was involved in a robbery or something. They scared the hell out of me though.

Where halloween is concerned, growing up it was never a thing here. It has become more popular in about the last 5 years where I guess shops have realised they can SELL MORE STUFF! It mostly reminds me of cheap candy and I hope, now that I live in suburbia, I don't get any trick or treaters.

I'm loving that we're getting sun later in the day. Today it wasn't dark by 6PM.. that's a new late :D

I don't like Halloween. Sorry. I like fall. And fall decorations. And big cozy sweaters and apple cider and Thanksgiving and all that jazz. But I'm meh on Halloween. 

Things are not going well with Lexi dog. Guts hates her. She crashed through the screen door like a cartoon this morning and now there is a French Bulldog shaped hole in it. Guts wants to bring her back to her foster home. Between that and the fighting between her and Dozer I do not want to admit he might be right and this might not be the best fit for her. 

I'm feeling pretty miserable about it this Monday morning. Bah. 

Hugs, Glory. That's a tough place to be on Monday. How long have you had her, it doesn't seem that long. But sometimes, it's just not right and there's no way of knowing until you get the dog home. If you'd like some good news? I have an interview on Wednesday. Yay!

Haha! I'll tell Guts he's on his own. It's me and the dogs!

No, I think he was just grumpy yesterday morning about the screen. He was in a much better mood last night. We took the door to get re-screened and splurged on the heavy duty pet screen. Hopefully, she won't be able to force her way through that one. 

Speaking of holidays, though, is it too early to put out my fall decorations? Do I have to wait until September 20th or something? 

It wouldn't occur to me that mums had any kind of a season except for "if you find them in the stores, you can certainly put them out." And with something like decorating, your opinion (and the opinions of others in your household, maybe) is the only one that matters.

• Love 1

Ha, Kev! You are certainly correct! I just love fall so much. I'd keep fall year round if I could! I'm going to make cinnamon raisin scones tonight. I feel that is a suitably fall food. 

I'm also the same way with Christmas decorations. I put my trees (yes, plural) up the day after Thanksgiving as I feel that is the day it becomes socially acceptable. LOL

Must be a Chicago thing, Glory, because we put our tree up the day after Thanksgiving as well.  

Sorry to hear about your doggy adjustment issues.  It sucks to get attached and then not be able to keep her.

I usually don't put up a Christmas tree at my house.  At my parents' house for a long time we put the Christmas tree up the day after Thanksgiving because it was the only time to have everyone there to decorate it (having come into town for Thanksgiving).  Now that my sisters both live in MA again that's not really necessary.  Back when we were young and lived with my parents we never used to do the tree that early.  

I also don't put up any fall decorations.  Basically I just don't have my shit together enough to decorate for different seasons.  If I did put up fall decorations they would certainly be there until at least spring.  

Edited by smrou

I don't put up a ton of stuff for fall, and it's usually a fall/Halloween combo (I just put away the Halloween stuff after October 31).  I do put up a few things, and I redress my fashion dolls for the season, as well.

I also put up my Christmas decorations right after Thanksgiving (usually on Saturday).  If I lived somewhere it wasn't so miserably dark in December, I'd probably wait a bit longer, but it's nice having all the bright lights/decorations during that time of year. I usually only put up a small (4 1/2 foot) tree, though, since my living room is so tiny. And again, I redress my dolls for the holidays, and have a couple of doll-sized trees as well.

This year, I really want to get rid of my huge "entertainment center" and get a smaller TV stand (and a larger TV) before the holidays.  The one I have now takes up so much room, but it still only holds a 37" TV.  It's a nice piece of furniture, but no longer practical with the advent of slim TVs.

Fall and ... Christmas decorations? On September 10?  You're all evil. Like a Hobbit.

Sorry, but up here, it is fall.  Leaves are falling and turning yellow.  It's dark when I leave for work. It hasn't hit freezing yet, but that's just because it's been raining pretty much constantly the last week.  Once it clears up, it will definitely be getting close to freezing at night. Which reminds me that my remote start isn't working, so I need to take the car in and get that looked at.

I don't have fall decorations, but do have some Halloween ones and will probably put those up in early October.

The tree goes up at my parents the weekend after Thanksgiving, since we're around to help decorate.  For my own place, I'll put up the Christmas decorations pretty early too, but haven't put up a normal Christmas tree at any point while I've lived on my own.  I did buy a little rosemary tree last year and had that up, may do that again this year!

Ha, Kev! You are certainly correct! I just love fall so much. I'd keep fall year round if I could! I'm going to make cinnamon raisin scones tonight. I feel that is a suitably fall food.

Mmm those scones sound good.. I wonder if I could find something that was only cinnamon scones :D I might take a look at it.

I don't have a tree.. my last place was waaaay too tiny for that. Now that I'm living in a house we might, maybe.. I'm not much of a christmas person really. The bf can do that if he wants to :P

A month to go from New York to Anchorage. I'd do that trip in the future, because ... hell, the way airlines are, flying the same route would seem like a month.  (My rant on airline flights is for the future, not for right now)  But let me be quick-- you know that scene in Silence of the Lambs, when Dr Lecter is wrapped up and has a mask on and bound to a shipping dolly, says to the woman Senator "love your suit" -- ? Remember?

That's the future of being an airline passenger.

But a cruise ship passenger gets to walk the Lido deck, at least.

Kalliste, do you have a World Market near you? The last couple times I tried to make scones from scratch they were... not good. So, now I splurge and buy the pre-mixed bags at World Market. Just add water, stir, and bake. They're really tasty. 

That would be one cold cruise, King of Birds. Not my idea of a vacation, but that's because I deal with that for 7 months a year already.  

Glory, I wish we had a World Market up here.  I always hit one up whenever I travel to an area that has one reasonably close by.  Same with Trader Joe's.  I will definitely be going to both when I go to Arizona next month.

I think the Alaska/NY cruise sounds kind of cool (figuratively as well as obviously literally). But unless my life drastically changes (like winning a gazillion dollars and then waiting until my kids are older), I wouldn't take a trip like that. And of course, I'd want the most cozy warm clothes ever and I don't think I'd be out on deck for long periods of time.

Thank you for the Joycian tale of cakepops, stewedsquash!

Trader Joe's has some good stuff, but its not like you can live life entirely with the minimal selection they have. Plus, they have some good doggie treats.

And let's not talk of what Glory is doing to Lexi. Poor thing, in a sweater-vest.

I didn't know what Joycean was, either! :) I don't think I'd heard it as a word before this, but now I'll hear it 3 times in the next day -- that's how those things go. I think there's a word for that, too. I remember the first time I heard the word "tarmac," and thought, "That's not a word!" Sure enough, it was, and I heard it 3 times in the next couple of days.

And let's not talk of what Glory is doing to Lexi. Poor thing, in a sweater-vest.

I'll have you know it was NOT a vest. But a Fido Fleece. Very chic. 

She's doing good, SS. It's been a week since the last dog fight so that is good. I've got one of those countdowns like factory workers have in my kitchen, "It has been _____ days since the last incident at this facility."  LOL

Guts agreed to stop threatening to send her back. I think he's falling for her. She's started to crawl into his lap at night and he's smitten. 

• Love 1