Type keyword(s) to search

Robert Goren: Batshit Crazy Or Merely Eccentric Badass?

He no longer could get into the head of witnesses or perps without stuttering...pausing, speaking hesitantly...could not look them straight in the face, or play them. And that...was and continues to be so sad.

In S6-8, definitely.

But IMO, Bobby did just fine in S10! He got nose to nose with the guy in "Rispetto", was all over the sexual abuse guy in "The Consoler" who killed his co-worker and, IMO, was having almost fun in "Icarus" with the dramaturg (sp) and the producer!

Let's face it, too. VDO was a lot younger when he started. I think that was a factor. But I do think he regained some enthusiasm and savvy by the end of the show's run.

Oh, and VDO's kid is cute.

Yeah, I can't recall if it's for the next Spiderman movie or that horrid Fantastic Four one.

Neither, per IMDB. It's for a TV Series based on Daredevil. I think this is for Netflix. I recall BizBuzz posted about it sometime ago along with a movie he'll be appearing in, too.

Kingpin is a MAJOR drug dealer/bad guy. So Bobby D'Onofrio will be playing a villain. And yeah, Kingpin is a LARGE, bald man.

Ahhh, I see! I bet VDO is thrilled to play a bad guy. So it does look like he's perfect for the role. Thanks for the heads up, GHScorpiosRule!

• Love 1

But IMO, Bobby did just fine in S10! He got nose to nose with the guy in "Rispetto"

I enjoyed Rispetto because of the fashion angle but that was an off episode. First there was Jay Mohr's acting. Then there was that confession. It was like a Cold Case confession where the suspect just spills all the information without much coercion. VDO was drawing the truth out of him but there were all of these weird pauses that didn't make it feel like he was getting carried away. I kept thinking that at any point the suspect could have stopped incriminating himself further but because of the demands of the script he just kept going.

• Love 1

Well, in Jay Mohr's defense, he was channeling batshit Charlie Sheen and his Tiger Blood. "Rispetto" wasn't even supposed to be the premiere. I remember when TVLine said it was going to be (likely to cash in on said Charlie Sheen meltdown). It was simply altered to throw in a few welcome back lines to G/E, and boom.

I don't recall which episode was meant to be the real premiere, though.

So I got sucked into an old movie this afternoon, if you can call 1991 old.  I am watching, minding my own business when who should grace my screen with his presence, but Vincent, young and handsome.  Oh my.

The movie was Dying Young.

So I got sucked into an old movie this afternoon, if you can call 1991 old.  I am watching, minding my own business when who should grace my screen with his presence, but Vincent, young and handsome.  Oh my.

The movie was Dying Young.

Wasn't that with Julia Roberts? Never saw it but I remember old movie ads for it! Wow! Never knew he was in it!  :-)

Yes, with Julia and a very young Campbell Scott.  It took me a few seconds to realize who he was.  Remember, he was with Julia in Mystic Pizza a few years before. 

I do remember "Mystic Pizza", now that you mention it! I did see that.  :-) (And, going through my collection, forgotten I owned it! <Forehead slap>)

Thinking of Goren throughout the show, have we EVER seen the man drive? (Okay, technically, he did, in Siren Call, to pick up Eames from her therapy appointment.) But I mean, have we ever seen him behind the wheel, driving the SUV or even a car?

If not, it seems a bit weird. Maybe the show liked having Eames use driving as some sort of power play or something...  (And Ross drove himself and Goren in Blind Spot.)

• Love 1

Speaking of the above blog, there's a link at the right side to pictures of the Daredevil cast at the New York Comic Con back on the 11th. I guess Netflix must be really promoting this. Still not used to bald VDO, but he looked like he was having fun, when they all weren't being mobbed!

And the mobs are why I'd never go to a Comic Con, be it San Diego or New York.

• Love 1

Out of all the Law & Order franchises and characters Bobby Goren was my favorite.  He had this brilliance about him that could connect (or pull out the confession) from the suspect.  When I watch the reruns I'm always happy when they have him in them.  I loved the way he went about it.  I thought Eames was the perfect partner for him.  I liked Benson & Stabler (well more Stabler) but Eames and Goren fit so well together.  Maybe Goren is the character because of Vincent but I think both the character and actor were so perfect together it's hard to tell which one is more outstanding - at least for me it is.

• Love 2

Out of all the Law & Order franchises and characters Bobby Goren was my favorite.  He had this brilliance about him that could connect (or pull out the confession) from the suspect.  When I watch the reruns I'm always happy when they have him in them.  I loved the way he went about it.  I thought Eames was the perfect partner for him.  I liked Benson & Stabler (well more Stabler) but Eames and Goren fit so well together.  Maybe Goren is the character because of Vincent but I think both the character and actor were so perfect together it's hard to tell which one is more outstanding - at least for me it is.

Hi, @Crucial, and welcome to the thread! (At least I don't recall seeing you visit before!)  Needless to say, you have good taste and I agree with all that you've said, including that Eames was a good (loyal!) partner to Bobby. I think they/he were/was CI. The whole Sherlock/Watson deal as has been mentioned here.  :-)

Got any particular favorite scenes or episodes?

Thanks WendyCR74 for the welcome :)  That was my first time posting. I'm more partial to the first season being my favorite.  I loved to watch him interrogate the suspect.  His actions/mannerisms were so great.  To see him invade the personal space of the suspect and then see him tilt his head to the side.

Thanks WendyCR74 for the welcome :)  That was my first time posting. I'm more partial to the first season being my favorite.  I loved to watch him interrogate the suspect.  His actions/mannerisms were so great.  To see him invade the personal space of the suspect and then see him tilt his head to the side.

I really enjoyed Season 1, too, @Crucial !  :-)  Ion will be back to the second half of that season on the 27th. I liked him with the rapist guy in "Homo Homini Lupus" in that season and in "Jones" with the sleazy coke-addict lawyer who killed his petite girlfriends and tried to hit on Alex.  :-)

• Love 1

I really enjoyed Season 1, too, @Crucial !  :-)  Ion will be back to the second half of that season on the 27th. I liked him with the rapist guy in "Homo Homini Lupus" in that season and in "Jones" with the sleazy coke-addict lawyer who killed his petite girlfriends and tried to hit on Alex.  :-)

Oh yes, the sleazy coke addicted lawyer.  He was really great with him.  It may sound mean but I loved when he was going on about his size and then plops his big shoe on the table.  I'm glad Ion will be back to the second half of the season.  I love long marathons and USA gives maybe 2 or 3 at a time.

Oh yes, the sleazy coke addicted lawyer.  He was really great with him.  It may sound mean but I loved when he was going on about his size and then plops his big shoe on the table.  I'm glad Ion will be back to the second half of the season.  I love long marathons and USA gives maybe 2 or 3 at a time.

Ah, @Crucial , I can see we'll get along fine! If you read the Season 1 thread, that scene where Bobby boasts about his size 13 shoe and belittles Talbot about being short/tiny has been said by me often to be a favorite scene of mine, too! I loved Bobby's evil glee there.

Also liked when, in that same interrogation, he threw his trusty binder on the table with a gusty sigh of disgust when Talbot kept trying to BS Bobby.

• Love 1

@WendyCR72  I loved his handling on Homo Homini Lupus.  Getting the rapist but his handling of the victim.  Bobbie/Vincent did a great job with the scene. I came more aware of this seeing it today.  Bobbie's hugging of her was perfect.  Ahhh I love this character so so much.

I'm thinking now at all the shows I watch and the only other character I really, really like is Elliot Stabler on L&O SVU.  Maybe I like flawed characters on shows but I think both of these characters have a connection to nail all those criminals who will do harm, such violent harm.  So give me a Bobbie Goren and Elliot, they will take care of business all day long.

• Love 1

@WendyCR72  I loved his handling on Homo Homini Lupus.  Getting the rapist but his handling of the victim.  Bobbie/Vincent did a great job with the scene. I came more aware of this seeing it today.  Bobbie's hugging of her was perfect.  Ahhh I love this character so so much.

I'm thinking now at all the shows I watch and the only other character I really, really like is Elliot Stabler on L&O SVU.  Maybe I like flawed characters on shows but I think both of these characters have a connection to nail all those criminals who will do harm, such violent harm.  So give me a Bobbie Goren and Elliot, they will take care of business all day long.

Oh, Bobby was great in "Homo Homini Lupus", from holding the gun (something Bobby RARELY did, ever!) to the perp's head and asking, "Are you going to answer that [the phone]?" to the "She. Got. YOU!" bit at the end. Totally simmering with rage but also lethally controlled.

• Love 1

If you (universally speaking) can tolerate The View (I can't, but maybe I'll YT it or something and fast forward), VDO has said on his FB page that he will be on there tomorrow, no doubt to promote Daredevil.

ETA: And I liked one of the comments: Someone said, "So Bobby Goren will meet up with Nicol(l)e Wallace tomorrow!" (Which happens to be the name of one of the women, albeit with an extra L in her name.)

If you (universally speaking) can tolerate The View (I can't, but maybe I'll YT it or something and fast forward), VDO has said on his FB page that he will be on there tomorrow, no doubt to promote Daredevil.

ETA: And I liked one of the comments: Someone said, "So Bobby Goren will meet up with Nicol(l)e Wallace tomorrow!" (Which happens to be the name of one of the women, albeit with an extra L in her name.)

Yes, there he is on the programming guide.  Thanks for the heads up!  >grits teeth, records View<  I just haven't seen any fresh VDO is soooo long.

Edited, after watching:  Well, he didn't have a lot of time but he was beautiful and charming and wonderful, as anticipated.  Got a funny look on his face when Rosie Perez told him "You're going to have a stellar career," but she added "forever and ever and ever," so, umm, okay?

Earlier, Whoopi Goldberg said she was disappointed he wasn't there when she did her Criminal Intent and he said, "Oh, were you with Jeff Goldblum?" and she asked him to repeat that and then she just said, "I'll tell you later."  I think she forgot Chris Noth's name.

Oh, and it wasn't promoting Kingpin, but his new movie with Liam Neeson.  That's going to be delicious.

Edited by candall

Yes, there he is on the programming guide.  Thanks for the heads up!  >grits teeth, records View<  I just haven't seen any fresh VDO is soooo long.

Edited, after watching:  Well, he didn't have a lot of time but he was beautiful and charming and wonderful, as anticipated.  Got a funny look on his face when Rosie Perez told him "You're going to have a stellar career," but she added "forever and ever and ever," so, umm, okay?

Earlier, Whoopi Goldberg said she was disappointed he wasn't there when she did her Criminal Intent and he said, "Oh, were you with Jeff Goldblum?" and she asked him to repeat that and then she just said, "I'll tell you later."  I think she forgot Chris Noth's name.

Oh, and it wasn't promoting Kingpin, but his new movie with Liam Neeson.  That's going to be delicious.

A movie with Liam Neeson, you say? SOLD!  :-)

And thanks SO much for the rundown. Poor VDO. It sounded annoying, but at least it sounds like he was gracious about it all. How ironic he was on screen with Nicol(l)e Wallace.  :-)

Still, thanks for enduring the pain of The View with the details so others don't have to. (I may still YT this if just to see how VDO deals with the idiocy. Can't believe Whoopi Goldberg forgot Chris Noth since it was one of his episodes that she appeared in.)

• Love 1

I won't have time but for anyone who may, VDO is having a Twitter Q&A st 4:00 p.m. ET./1:00 p.m. PT. It was on his Facebook page with the hashtag AskFisk. So it may be Daredevil related...or not!

So "Silencer" was on USA in the middle of the night, and it still mystifies me why Peter the Interpreter was needed for anything since things went nowhere with Alex and Bobby knew rudimentary sign language. Oh, well. At least VDO seemed to sign much better than his Mandarin currently is on Daredevil. LOL.

And my untrained ear thought Bobby's German was passable.

I know it makes Bobby look like a know it all, but I guess I figure he was exposed to many things when being in the service.

What about the woman who was obsessed with her ex and then Bobby, the episode where Fisher Stevens killed himself on the ferry boat? That woman was creepy as hell. And I think she started to get to Bobby just a tad.

Just watched that show: "You cared about me, Robert! I saw it."

Regretfully: "I didn't mean for you to see it."

He was wonderful there.

• Love 1

Jones was actually on WE last night, and like Alex I was wanting to wash off the slime. Griffin Dunne usually plays nice guys, so seeing him as such a sleazy pervert was all kinds of weird. Bobby's "theory" about petite women and why Talbott liked them even made me laugh.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 2

Jones was actually on WE last night, and like Alex I was wanting to wash off the slime. Griffin Dunne usually plays nice guys, so seeing him as such a sleazy pervert was all kinds of weird. Bobby's "theory" about petite women and why Talbott liked them even made me laugh.

The only nice guy role I recall Dunne from (I think it was him) was the dreadful Madonna movie, Who's That Girl. He played another sort of sleazy lizard type on CI again in S6 (a Logan/Wheeler episode) as a recording exec or something in "Country Crossover", too.

My laptop is bitching, wiseguy.

Kind of figured. I just had some fun with it!

Since this is the VDO/Bobby thread, I'll say I found Bobby having almost-feelings for Nelda Carson in "Semi-Detached" (on now on WE) disappointing. Sure, she was wacky (which is a siren call for him), but she was such a drip.

I've been watching a lot of CIs lately and one little character touch I loved at the time and ever since but have never seen mentioned is that Bobby carried a switchblade.  He's a cop so no one would take it away from him, and he's connected so he would know where to get one, but every time he whips it out to open a package or offer up a section of fresh fruit to a suspect I melt.  I've always carried a pocket knife but I'd love to have a switchblade.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 1

I've been watching a lot of CIs lately and one little character touch I loved at the time and ever since but have never seen mentioned is that Bobby carried a switchblade.  He's a cop so no one would take it away from him, and he's connected so he would know where to get one, but every time he whips it out to open a package or offer up a section of fresh fruit to a suspect I melt.  I've always carried a pocket knife but I'd love to have a switchblade.

Welcome to the forum, Totale! I never thought about the switchblade. Good eye, though! I did always wonder why he seemed so attached to his binder, too.  :-)

The binder was definitely there all the time, but for males of a certain age (I'm a couple of years older than VDO) there could be nothing conferring more coolth than brandishing a switchblade. Once you notice it (mostly in year 1-4) you'll notice how often and effortlessly he deploys it, and as I said the best part of all is that no one ever mentions it.

The binder was definitely there all the time, but for males of a certain age (I'm a couple of years older than VDO) there could be nothing conferring more coolth than brandishing a switchblade. Once you notice it (mostly in year 1-4) you'll notice how often and effortlessly he deploys it, and as I said the best part of all is that no one ever mentions it.

Probably part of his tools. :-) I did notice he also used it in "Rocket Man" in S6 when investigating the female astronaut's death when searching the female suspect's car and finding her stalking kit.

So I wonder how bummed VDO was last night when Sylvester Stallone failed to snag an Oscar last night. He was really rooting for the guy on Twitter and Facebook the other day.

Cool that he is a fan just like anyone else.

You know, Bobby really should have been called the "Blonde Woman Psycho Whisperer". "Please Note...", a.k.a. the episode with the world's longest title ever, aired today and the crazy mom killing other parents on a freaking nursery school waiting list would have fit right in with both Nelda Carson and Nicole. And all three were blonde and crazy.

And they all seemed to gravitate to Bobby.

I guess we all have to have a talent.  :-P

As an aside, I loved VDO's/Bobby's face - like "aww, man, why me?!" - when he had to pose as someone looking to hook up with that father who swung the other way on the sly. "Bigfoot" was a good moniker, though. Certainly fit Bobby, size 13 and all!

10 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

One of the few redeeming qualities of that ep in my opinion..

I didn't think it was too bad. But everyone involved in that one was basically just different shades of despicable. And Paige's hubby was dumb. Funny how he turned up in "Depths" in S7 as the snooty murderous treasure hunter that Goren shoved in the water at the end.