Type keyword(s) to search

Robert Goren: Batshit Crazy Or Merely Eccentric Badass?

39 minutes ago, Maherjunkie said:

Not believable in Depths.  The intractable feminist in me was annoyed the father was that big on having a son.  You have a healthy child, ya nit.

Oh, I can understand what you mean. But the snooty rich always seem to be the types in film/TV that "want a boy". Funny, because when the actor in "Depths" was the dolt husband in "Ill-Bred" who was having an affair, the husband of the woman he was screwing, I recall, was all sorts of gleeful (as he thought the kid was his) and was telling G/E...how he wanted a boy.

So at least that seemed consistent if completely chauvinistic.

To be fair, Freddy Weller only existed to play the snooty guy who wanted to hide his family's past. He had, what, two or three scenes? There was more time spent on Kelli Giddish's character and her ex. And the Chilly guy.

Speaking of which, the actor playing Chilly, Eric Sheffer Stevens, also showed up again in the episode "The Last Street In Manhattan", the guy who got named CEO when the victim died.

I do think (to bring it back to Bobby here) that VDO seemed to have a bit of fun at the end on the boat, riling the guy. Between shoving the guy and playing keep away with the radio. (Also thought VDO actually looked good in that one.)

• Love 1
On 3/16/2017 at 3:13 PM, mumbleram said:

Both? His bat shit crazy, eccentric personality is what makes him so sexy!

That seems to be a popular opinion around the 'net, @mumbleram. :-)  It's weird. I liked Goren's quirkiness, but Nichols' quirkiness drove me insane.

7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I couldn't find a media thread but this podcast illustrates that every part of Gores including his voice and manner isa character choice. Talking about CI is at the 31 minute mark but his voice is so not Goren I find it delightful.

I watched a video - maybe on YT? - some time ago about this and forgot to mention it. But, yeah, VDO seemed to take great interest in "building" who Robert Goren was from the ground up. I think it's really cool! And it does sound like he was given the freedom in the "design", so that's good, too.

Makes me wonder if TPTB or Jeff Goldblum did the same for Zack Nichols, because he was also quirky, albeit a different quirky from Goren...

Hey! There was a new little promo on ION late night (during CI, no less) just now. He even uttered their slogan. It was basically VDO standing in a holiday-themed background saying, "Happy Holidays from ION television. Positively entertaining."

I see the late night airings end after early Saturday morning. Not sure if the show is headed for another hiatus or what. But still, nice yet corny surprise.

• Love 1

Once again we watch “Enemy Within,” wherein nurse Rick Zainer is convicted of manslaughter mainly on the evidence of a sheet carrying the apparent evidence that he had had sex with Kit Sternman, widow of a banker killed in a fire, and with the banker’s son Edward, who is gay. The detectives charge that Zainer had sex with Edward to obtain his semen, which he put on the sheet to frame Edward for sleeping with his stepmother. 

Does it never occur to anyone that these two people could have had sex, or masturbated, in this sheet at different times? All Zainer would have had to do would have asked them to prove that the DNA got there at the same time and he’d have gotten off, I think. I’m no lawyer, but am I onto something here?

Just caught the tail end of "Phantom", the episode with Michael Emerson as the fake economist who kills an ex-con and tries to also kill the con's sister, his mistress, Cookie/Charlotte.

I still like the part where Goren shoves Rankin into the wall and growls, "Clear." Bobby rarely got tough, but it worked here. Probably fed by his disgust at what this guy was going to do to his kids. Also noticed at the very end, after Goren emptied the gun, where he really did look stressed/was perspiring, etc. Nice to know even Bobby isn't impervious to nerves after being held at the end of a shotgun!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Sigmagirl said:

Does it never occur to anyone that these two people could have had sex, or masturbated, in this sheet at different times? All Zainer would have had to do would have asked them to prove that the DNA got there at the same time and he’d have gotten off, I think. I’m no lawyer, but am I onto something here?

I'm no DNA expert, but perhaps the "age" of the stain could be indicated? If so, that would basically reinforce the case. And Zamer basically got cocky and admitted to it, saying what he did wasn't illegal.

Though I always did wonder what held up, since he had no lawyer. Gotta love TV.

On 1/10/2018 at 8:48 PM, Sigmagirl said:

I agree that Zainer did himself in by getting cocky. I think if he’d kept his mouth shut and had a better lawyer he’d have gotten off. But so often is the case when under the influence of Bobby G.

I think it was @Xeliou66 and I who discussed this show's issues with lawyers that are absent or just sit there, but yeah. As was said, I love Goren, but I think it could have been fun/fascinating to see G/E go up against the lawyer. Between Eames' street skills and Bobby's intellect, I think the same outcomes could have come about if they argued with the lawyer instead of just trapping the perp. Oh, well!

• Love 1
On 1/10/2018 at 3:12 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I'm no DNA expert, but perhaps the "age" of the stain could be indicated? If so, that would basically reinforce the case. And Zamer basically got cocky and admitted to it, saying what he did wasn't illegal.

Though I always did wonder what held up, since he had no lawyer. Gotta love TV.

Based on all the true crime I have viewed and read they can't determine the age of a stain with any accuracy. 

On a shallow note, "Prisoner" aired a bit earlier. The episode with Corbin Bernsen as the shady warden looking for his kidnapped wife. And I always thought so, but Bobby looked good in that doctor's coat.  :-)

Still liked his little street dance before the house raid, too. VDO always rocked the casual wear.

On 2/8/2018 at 6:34 PM, Sigmagirl said:

Yeah, I loved the little song and dance. I want to know where he got the clothes. Is that what he wears when he’s sitting around his apartment, drinking fancy wine and reading abnormal psychology? ?

For all of his weird quirks, Goren's taste in casual wear leaned toward simple, a la T-shirts/khaki shorts (and in S1, jeans with said T-shirt!).  :-)  Even with the weight gain, he still looked good, although I think he looked great in "Smothered" in S1 in that T-shirt and jeans (after he and Alex were spying on Dale Van Acker in the park!).

• Love 1

I was watching “Homo Homini Lupis” today and I noticed that in the scene where Bobby and Alex are talking to Lucas Colter in the interrogation room, trying to get him to reveal the name of the loan shark, Bobby’s fifth shirt button is undone. It’s covered by his tie except when he bends over the table. Now I can’t stop watching it. ??

On 2/17/2018 at 11:25 PM, Sigmagirl said:

I was watching “Homo Homini Lupis” today and I noticed that in the scene where Bobby and Alex are talking to Lucas Colter in the interrogation room, trying to get him to reveal the name of the loan shark, Bobby’s fifth shirt button is undone. It’s covered by his tie except when he bends over the table. Now I can’t stop watching it. ??

Now I'll have to look the next time that episode is on!

As for Lucas Colter, we have covered him to death, but I still hate that weasel. His greed put his family in danger. I'd like to think his wife and daughters soon left his ass and Maggie took her mother's maiden name or something!

• Love 1

Lucas Colter and his father were scum, Lucas for the way he wouldn’t help get his family back after they had been kidnapped, especially when it was his own fault in the first place, and his dad for the shitty way he treated Lucas. I have a feeling Lucas’ wife ditched him after the kidnapping ordeal.

On 2/20/2018 at 5:36 AM, Xeliou66 said:

Lucas Colter and his father were scum, Lucas for the way he wouldn’t help get his family back after they had been kidnapped, especially when it was his own fault in the first place, and his dad for the shitty way he treated Lucas. I have a feeling Lucas’ wife ditched him after the kidnapping ordeal.

I do hope so.

On another note, "Silencer" from S6 just aired. The episode involving the deaf community where a doctor that performed Cochlear implant operations was murdered.

Obviously, Bobby did fairly well with sign language, so why the need for the interpreter? And as for him, I kind of was confused by him, too. He seemed almost taken aback that G/E were investigating altogether. I get the guy's parents were deaf so he had an affinity, but he didn't think the kid could murder or what? I really don't get why he was so resistant towards the end. Oh, well.

15 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

On another note, "Silencer" from S6 just aired. The episode involving the deaf community where a doctor that performed Cochlear implant operations was murdered.

Obviously, Bobby did fairly well with sign language, so why the need for the interpreter?

The in story reason was that "fairly well" wasn't good enough to do full interviews and understand all the nuances, avoid miscommunications, etc. I'm sure that it was really for the viewers to avoid having a lot of scenes including the climax being Goren and the perp signing at each other (with subtitles probably). I'm sure VDO and the rest of the cast and crew would have pulled it off brilliantly, but I could never see the network going for it. The other story purpose was to give us a character with a foot in both worlds although...

And as for him, I kind of was confused by him, too. He seemed almost taken aback that G/E were investigating altogether. I get the guy's parents were deaf so he had an affinity, but he didn't think the kid could murder or what? I really don't get why he was so resistant towards the end. Oh, well.

Yeah I don't think they quite pulled it off. The interrogation scene was great and eveybody's motivations made sense. It was classic L&O. But traditionally the franchise has always gone with the idea that while cops may understand the perspectives of various communities, in the end they are cops first and will do their duty even when the criminal is someone they sympathize with (the weakest SVU seasons perhaps excepted) so it didn't really make sense and just seemed like sloppy writing. Unless there was an earlier draft where he had a deeper connection or emotional involvement in this specific issue it just comes off as excessive and unnecessary.

3 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I'm sure that it was really for the viewers to avoid having a lot of scenes including the climax being Goren and the perp signing at each other (with subtitles probably). I'm sure VDO and the rest of the cast and crew would have pulled it off brilliantly, but I could never see the network going for it.

Maybe had the show aired in this era, it would have happened, as shows, good or bad, have become more gimmicky. But since you mention it, I would have loved to see this concept, too. It would have been different!

In real life, if this had happened, Bobby would have had to testify about interviewing the witness using sign language, and the defense attorney would have asked “And are you a certified sign language interpreter, Detective Goren?” and he either would have had to say “yes,” which is just too much to believe, or “no,” at which the judge would say “Case dismissed.” Chung-CHUNG.

• Love 2
On 2/23/2018 at 12:53 PM, Sigmagirl said:

In real life, if this had happened, Bobby would have had to testify about interviewing the witness using sign language, and the defense attorney would have asked “And are you a certified sign language interpreter, Detective Goren?” and he either would have had to say “yes,” which is just too much to believe, or “no,” at which the judge would say “Case dismissed.” Chung-CHUNG.

Okay, that makes sense. But my confusion about the interpreter and his later hostility, as @wknt3 and I have mentioned, still makes little sense to me!  :-)

On 8/14/2018 at 10:55 AM, biakbiak said:

Vincent is on Dax Shepard’s podcast. He doesn’t have great things to say about CI, saying it’s one of the worst decisions of his life. It’s probabl about the 1 hour mark (it’s a long podcast).

https://overcast.fm/+L15PDbTC8

Yeah, I heard how "unhealthy" he found it. He did admit to having a lot of shit going on with himself, as everyone figured out once the alternating in S5 began. I can understand his feelings, at least with all he explained.

Between being on the set 16 hours a day, sometimes 6 days a week, and having the gobs of dialogue he had to learn, being in every scene - and having to know it two days ahead, as he explained, I can see why it wore him down. Me, I still love Goren and the show, but I guess it's easy to when one doesn't have to work on it like that, with barely a day or two off. Actually, in re-listening, I respect he is so honest about it all, being miserable and admitting to being a dick, admitting to just breaking down in S4 (which many figured out), and S5 being a blur, etc. I find it ironic and interesting that he took the job to be home and to see his wife since movies kept him away, and yet the confines of this series ironically made it so he hardly was ever home and never saw his loved ones. So the negative feelings make sense to me.

Add in the show not giving him any time off to go to a family funeral, and yeah. I get it.

He may not have liked that period, but it's a good thing he never disparaged those he worked with (the snippet of him briefly mentioning the set friendships at the only ones he had at the time) and did do a final season, so I have respect that, for all the negativity, he was willing to return at all to do S10 in hindsight. He was free of it. Listening to that podcast a few weeks ago, it made me surprised he did return.

So maybe USA coughed up enough money or he and KE really did do it for the fans. Nice thought, anyway.