Type keyword(s) to search

Actors in Other Roles: Not Everyone Stayed in Sunnydale

• Start Topic

Checking the four pages, I didn't see a thread for this. If anyone has a better title, feel free to get it changed.

Last night I saw K. Todd Freeman (Mr.Trick) playing a librarian on Elementary. I didn't recognize him (who knew people could change over 15 years), but I knew the voice.

Edited by Loandbehold
  • Love 1

It always amazes me how many people I recognize outside of the Buffyverse. Just off the top of my head:

Buffy's roommate Kathy keeps popping up in commercials lately, like cleaning products and what not.  Parker (the Poophead) is on State of Affairs with Katherine Heigl and I have noticed the actor in a few things but can't really recall what (yeah, I tend to immediately dislike whatever roles he plays--I wonder why lol). Kal Penn is one of the guys drinking with Buffy in Beer Bad (is this before Harold and Kumar?).  Amy Adams is Tara's cousin in the episode where her dad comes to retrieve her (she's also a meteor freak of the week early on in Smallville BTW). Felicia Day (she's awesome) is one of the potentials that gets killed early on. Wentworth Miller (Prison Break) is one of the guys on the swim team in "Go Fish".  Riley's wife is the slutty neighbor to Reese Witherspoons character in Just Like Heaven.  

• Love 1

I want to preface this by saying that while I never hated Dawn, I was always more or less indifferent to Michelle Trachtenberg as an actress, mainly because of the writing. But she's surprisingly effective as a stealth psycho in Zugzwang, the episode of Criminal Minds that's airing on ION right now.

I actually kind of liked Dawn, but IMO MT did a horrible job on Six Feet Under.  She was supposed to be a diva-ish singer, but IMO played it more like a whiny brat (much like Dawn haha).

Felicia Day (she's awesome) is one of the potentials that gets killed early on.

Not to be all nitpicky but Vi (Felicia's character) actually survives the show. She's really kicking ass in the final fight.

As we just had a discussion of what Joey "Clayne" Crawford has gotten up to since his portrayal of Rodney Munson in Inca Mummy Girl, I note that Gil Birmingham, who was the Incan guard in that episode, has an apparently meaty role in Yellowstone, presumably as a Native American.  (I'm only up to the opening credits of the pilot, but he's more prominently billed than he was in IMG, that's for sure.)

(edited)
On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2015 at 3:31 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I want to preface this by saying that while I never hated Dawn, I was always more or less indifferent to Michelle Trachtenberg as an actress, mainly because of the writing. But she's surprisingly effective as a stealth psycho in Zugzwang, the episode of Criminal Minds that's airing on ION right now.

Oh god yeah, her malevolent cleverness as to how she kill's herself and Reid's girlfriend, for once the BAU aren't smart enough to find a way out. 

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2015 at 1:59 AM, Liser78 said:

my bad! season 7 doesn't get a lot of rewatches.  I, for some reason thought she went down after buffy got wounded in the final fight but it was the girl with the freckles and brown hair.  oops

Amanda, my favourite of the Potentials, awwwww! She looks really different these days, she looks like Kay Perry. 

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2015 at 12:05 PM, joelene said:

Not to be all nitpicky but Vi (Felicia's character) actually survives the show. She's really kicking ass in the final fight.

Love Felicia, especially in The Guild and Dollhouse but EVERYONE must see her as Penny in Dr Horrible. 

Really enjoyed watching ED in True Lies this week although disturbing what happened to her on set, a very Faith like thing. 

Edited by Joe Hellandback
True Lies
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

It is crazy to me that David Boreanaz has turned out to be the most successful actor of the Buffyverse, with twenty years of series leads under his belt

Seriously.   He's young enough that if Seal Team keeps running (and there's probably enough Pentagon $$$ to keep the propaganda going), he might break the credited-cast record, which is 27 years, AFAIK.  (Held by Michael Landon and Harry Morgan.)  David Boreanaz, the star of stars?  Who'd have thought it?

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2015 at 9:58 PM, ByTor said:

I actually kind of liked Dawn, but IMO MT did a horrible job on Six Feet Under.  She was supposed to be a diva-ish singer, but IMO played it more like a whiny brat (much like Dawn haha).

No I LOVED MT as Celeste, a character who was a million miles away from Dawnie/Harriet the Spy/Penny Gadget/The Ice Princess, seducing her gay bodyguard and then dumping him with a casual 'Ciao baby!'. I think with that and Eurotrip she deliberately was saying 'Look I can play things other than adorable moppets'. 

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2015 at 12:44 AM, Bubbles said:

Michelle Trachtenberg did a decent job of bringing the crazy as Georgina Sparks on Gossip Girl.

The ONLY eps I ever watched, it was a terrible show but Georgina made it a joy whenever she appeared.  

Edited by Joe Hellandback
15 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Seriously.   He's young enough that if Seal Team keeps running (and there's probably enough Pentagon $$$ to keep the propaganda going), he might break the credited-cast record, which is 27 years, AFAIK.  (Held by Michael Landon and Harry Morgan.)  David Boreanaz, the star of stars?  Who'd have thought it?

Already recommissioned for season 2, he has had a pretty amazingly successful TV career BUT he never broke into movies as SMG/AH did. Frankly I think AH is the most successful with 9 seasons of HIMYM, 2 American Pie movies and Fool Us in Vegas. 

12 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Three, actually.

My mistake, actually 4!

11 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Sarah and Aly broke into movies around the height of Buffy's popularity, but let's be honest, did they have that many big movie roles post-Buffy? Sarah had The Grudge, Aly had American Wedding, that's it. Everything else was smaller projects that barely had an impact on pop culture. Neither of them became a bankable movie star and now they've pretty much disappeared into oblivion. If you ask people in their teens and early twenties who Sarah Michelle Gellar is, I'm sure many don't even know her. David's been a presence on tv screens for 20 consecutive years, I think, in the end, he is the most successful one of them all. 

SMG's post Buffy movies grossed half a billion dollars, Grudge 1&2, Scream 2, Scooby Doo 1&2, Cruel Intentions, unfortunately Southland Tales seems to have stalled her career even though she was the best thing in it.  

8 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Scream 2, Scooby Doo 1, Cruel Intentions - they all came out while Buffy was still on the air. Not post-Buffy roles. 

Southland Tales didn't seem to have any impact on the careers of the other people in the movie - Dwayne Johnson, Justin Timberlake, Mandy Moore....

The Grudge/Scooby Doo are hardly  movies that  people still talk about.

True and true, that's the baffling thing!

Aging a little around the eyes, but still hanging in there at 47.  (Alyson [44] looks amazing on Penn & Teller: F.U., she could pass for Willow in grad school.)  I was a bit depressed to see Jill Hennessy (who'd stayed looking mighty fine for a number of years all over TV) suddenly start looking her age (48) on Yellowstone, but CC's still bathing in virgin blood or whatever she needs to do, I see. ;)

Why, yes, I am that shallow. So it goes.

• Love 1
On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 9:11 AM, nosleepforme said:

There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that Charisma Carpenter looks very young and fit for her age. Generally, all the women on Buffy still look really good, I think, Eliza (of course, being the youngest), SMG, Emma Caulfield, Amber Benson, Kristine Sutherland. So much for our sexist society that writes women off the minute they reach a certain age.

It's the men that haven't actually aged that well. Nick Brendon looks rough (due to his alcoholism I assume), James is showing his age, same as Anthony Head and Alexis Denisof. David and Seth hang in there. 

True, the ET photo shoot showed how gorgeous everyone still is but not so much a problem for the guys, that's Hollywood/human nature.  

Okay, let's see what everyone was doing this year?

SMG; Quiet year, voice work on Robot Chicken and seems to be concentrating on her family and business at the moment. 

ASH; busy year, staring in 2 series, The Split and Girlfriends and the drama Vanity Fair.

AH; busy year, appearing in 2 tv series 'Fancy Nancy' and 'Pure' and couple of TV movies as well as also guesting on Robot Chicken

NB; 3 movies and a couple of eps of Dark Web, seems to have sorted himself out recently.

CC; 3 movies, (I often think that satellite movie channels are like panto, providing work for all actors at some time)

MT; Robot Chicken and cartoon Human Kind Of but all voice work.

JM; A couple of movies and seeing great success with Marvel's Runaways

DB; seems to have the magic touch, headlining a third successful series with SEAL team.  

ED; nothing but she probably had a busy year getting married and suing people. 

MB; busy, 4 movies and 2 recurring roles in TV series. 

SG; loads of voice work and a couple of movies plus Robot Chicken, when does he sleep?

Have they announced that already?  Seems a bit early.  

I never could get into it (I watched one episode with NB, and that's all) just because I couldn't suspend disbelief that there were that many serial killers out there to investigate. Now I guess the ex-Buffy stars will have to be stranded in the Bermuda Triangle for NCIS to go rescue them or something.  (Another long-running CBS series where I just don't buy the premise, David McCallum or no David McCallum.  But JMO.)

4 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Now I guess the ex-Buffy stars will have to be stranded in the Bermuda Triangle for NCIS to go rescue them or something.  

There's still Supernatural, who, in the past has had Julia Benz, Charisma Carpenter, James Marsters, Amy Acker and Harry Groener (and probably others) as "one-shot" guest stars and Felicia Day in a recurring role.

Alyson Hannigan and her daughter Saty competed on Master Chef Junior. Alexis Denisof and their other daughter were in attendance. Aly and Saty competed against Lil Rel of Get Out fame and his daughter. "I'm TS- mother-fuckin' A. We handle shit....Consider this situation fucking handled." Alyson, Saty, and Family were incredibly cute and endearing. I posted the video link. The Aly parts start around 29 minutes in. 

Edited by Melancholy
4 hours ago, illdoc said:

There's still Supernatural, who, in the past has had Julia Benz, Charisma Carpenter, James Marsters, Amy Acker and Harry Groener (and probably others) as "one-shot" guest stars and Felicia Day in a recurring role.

Amy was in the 3rd episode ever, and Amber Benson was on in the 2nd season, playing a (relatively gentle) vampire.  Sorry I missed CC; I faded away after Season 5, where we spent all year waiting for The Apocalypse That Wasn't (I loved the S4 finale and then the next season I was like "well? Get ON with it!" all year long) and ended with creator Eric Kripke leaving the series.  (Kripke has most recently done Timeless with Shawn Ryan, who was returning to his Angel sci-fantasy roots after getting all gritty with The Shield.)

Rather amazed that Jared & Jensen & company have soldiered on for (at least) another nine seasons after losing Kripke and seemingly exhausting the premise;  I guess I'll have a job of work to do if/when I ever try to catch up.  But it's very cool that there's still a piece of The WB banging on.

Can't imagine what Aly and her daughter together will be like; I think I'll have to feed the cat before watching, just in case I faint from an overdose of the cute.  Thanks for the link, Melancholy!

ETA: Oops, that's a link to the "showdown" portion, which is after Aly/Saty have done the majority of their appearance.  (Although they're still cute watching Lil Rel and Brittni getting judged.)  This is the start of Aly/Saty v Rel/Brittni segment.  Enjoy.

ETAA:  Goodness, what is up with Gordon Ramsay's hair?  It rather resembles a surfboard, and must have taken nearly an equivalent amount of wax to get it that way.  I just got through watching Trump speak to the Clemson Tigers at the White House (remember, I'm in South Carolina now; this was news…) and I'm honestly not sure which was more of a hair-don't.  Should we blame Gordon's coif on Hellmouth activity?

Also a bit annoyed at Gordon introducing Aly as "an outstanding comedic" actress.  Not that she isn't and not that HIMYM didn't run nine seasons to BtVS's seven, but still.  But it makes sense that, as a chef, Ramsay would give Aly's primary credit as the American Pie movies…although I can't imagine he'd approve of the fate of that particular pie…at least, I'd hope not…

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Halting Hex said:

Amy was in the 3rd episode ever, and Amber Benson was on in the 2nd season, playing a (relatively gentle) vampire.  Sorry I missed CC; I faded away after Season 5, where we spent all year waiting for The Apocalypse That Wasn't (I loved the S4 finale and then the next season I was like "well? Get ON with it!" all year long) and ended with creator Eric Kripke leaving the series.  (Kripke has most recently done Timeless with Shawn Ryan, who was returning to his Angel sci-fantasy roots after getting all gritty with The Shield.)

Rather amazed that Jared & Jensen & company have soldiered on for (at least) another nine seasons after losing Kripke and seemingly exhausting the premise;  I guess I'll have a job of work to do if/when I ever try to catch up.  But it's very cool that there's still a piece of The WB banging on.

Can't imagine what Aly and her daughter together will be like; I think I'll have to feed the cat before watching, just in case I faint from an overdose of the cute.  Thanks for the link, Melancholy!

(ETA-Oops, that's a link to the "showdown" portion, which is after Aly/Saty have done the majority of their appearance.  [Although they're still cute watching Lil Rei and Brittany getting judged.]  This is the start of Aly/Saty v Rei/Brittany segment.  Enjoy.)

Interesting. I didn’t know YouTube would hold my erroneous place when I linked the vid on this board. 

Yeah, if you right-click (or Mac-equivalent) on the vid, one of the options is "copy URL at current time".  (I mean, you think I hit 1723 seconds by skill? As if. [/Cher Horowitz]) You must have activated it by accident.

No harm, though; now people have a choice of whether to start at the beginning of Aly's segment, or cut to the conclusion.  So it's all good.

17 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Sorry I missed CC;

She & James were in the same episode (I think Season 7 "Shut up Dr. Phil"), in case you just want to see the episode (it pretty much independent of the Season 7 storyline, other than one of the "monsters" tracking the boys, so you don't really need to know anything else that's going on in the series). And thanks for the reminder about Amber---I knew there was another "Buffy/Angel" connection that I had forgotten! Actually, there could be more to come---I'm watching (for first time) on Netflix and am only up to Season 9.

Coming next month on FOX:  Proven Innocent, a defense-attorney drama, starring Rachelle "I Got Fired From Twilight over $$" LeFevre, Kelsey Grammer (looking a bit old, IMO) and Vincent "Conner" Kartheiser, with Danny "I Lead Joss Whedon in Emmy™ Awards, 2-1" Strong as creator/XP. 

Wouldn't think this would bring Danny his third statuette, but then I wouldn't have predicted the first two, either. Premiere date is Feb 15th.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:44 PM, Joe Hellandback said:

Just watched the whole ep and laughed my socks off with her there, big smile on my face just writing this. 

Original Buffy looks like she's appearing in quite a controversial play;

https://dailycaller.com/2019/05/23/dean-cain-kristy-swanson-strzok-page-texts-live-show/

Gil Birmingham also has a magic touch, it appears.  (Or, more cynically, Paramount doesn't want to turn loose of the $$$ they sank into Kevin Costner, regardless of the reviews.  [Costner and Wes Bentley are fine.  The daughter—both character and actress—not so much.]) Season 2 of Yellowstone premieres on June 19th.

No wonder John has that lyric in 1776 about "I'm only 41, you know; I still have my libido"! Homina-homina!

Virginia Vestoff never looked like that!

(Damn, I totally missed TCM's annual airing of 1776, didn't I?  I have it on DVD somewhere but I need it on my computer, I suppose.

Is anybody there?

Does anybody care?

Does anybody see what I see?

Yeah, I see them, John.  No wonder you were so bitter about Jefferson wanting to go home to Martha…  [and probably Sally Hemmings, although the musical doesn't cover that])