Type keyword(s) to search

Actors in Other Roles: Not Everyone Stayed in Sunnydale

• Start Topic

On 8/23/2020 at 12:08 AM, whiporee said:

If you want a mindfuck, seeing Giles playing a total asshole on Teddy Lasso is unpleasant. 
His character is also named Rupert, which throws one off a smidge. 

Agh, no!  Not so much at being put off by ASH showing range, but the idea that now I might have to check Ted Lasso out, after all.  And I saw parts of the original one-hour promotional film that NBC aired to publicize the start of their Premiere League coverage, a few years back…and that was some of the most awful, unfunny dreck I've ever seen.

(The "joke" is that Lasso has been hired to coach an English soccer team, despite his only experience being in American-style football.  And not only is Lasso hugely stupid, he has less soccer knowledge than the average ten-year-old American.  Like there was this bit where one of the players makes a classic sliding tackle and Lasso "corrects" him by doing an NFL-style chest-to-chest slam.  Hilarious!  Except not.)

There was ONE good joke in the whole bit, and rather than leave you to search it out, I hereby present it.  Lasso's assistant is helping Lasso familiarize himself with the EPL teams by showing him the team's logos and giving brief descriptions, with Lasso comparing the English clubs to NFL squads as a mnemonic device.  

Thus:

ASSISTANT (holds up card with Manchester United logo):  Manchester United.  The richest and most famous club in the League.  Everybody either loves them or hates them.

LASSO (nods, comprehending):  The Dallas Cowboys.

ASSISTANT (holds up card with Liverpool logo):  Liverpool.  Used to be really good, but hasn't won anything in forever.

LASSO (nods more emphatically):  Again, the Dallas Cowboys.

Heh.  

(Even if the joke is now out of date, in light of Liverpool's championship this season.  Congratulations, Big Red!  Even if you did ruin a perfectly good joke in the process.)

Edited by Halting Hex

I think you'll like it. It's like all Lawrence comedies -- it's a got a gooshy warm center. The central conceit is he's been brought in to ruin the club after a messy divorce. Ted is a very likeable character -- all of them are likable characters -- and the fact that he doesn't know soccer is the point. But he does know how to coach a team. Like I said, funny stuff, warm center. Good watch. 

And ASH plays a true ass. But he's only been in one episode so far, so don't make him a reason to watch. 

One wonders if Clea (out and proud nowadays) was sneaking a glance or two at Katherine's cleavage.  (Despite her "marriage" to Charlie Hunnam, Katherine might not have minded, but we only have stories about Charlie, and not all "beards" work in both directions, so we shouldn't jump to conclusions.)

"I didn't jump.  I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were."  Yeah, yeah, whatever, Buffy…

On 11/2/2020 at 11:48 AM, lembergwatcher said:

Nicky filming Wanton Want in California.

121407005_10158560543085320_8353854042157627517_o.jpg

Nice to see him working, I was thinking about him during the Johnny Depp trial which made his hellraising days seem pretty tame. 

On 11/5/2020 at 12:01 PM, lembergwatcher said:

Taken probably during the shooting of Bye Bye Love.

123751990_3119186281521449_7820397283149099491_n.jpg

If Tara and Faith got together and adopted little Dawnie. 

• LOL 1

Eliza Dushku, Amber Benson & Lindsay Crouse in Bye Bye Love, 1995.

byebyelove_0017.thumb.jpg.38d1b4a663ae9d04a30d1ac5d8f6c460.jpg

byebyelove_0037.thumb.jpg.d6b3737817e5b9dfe068971cf195ac42.jpg

cambo_14.thumb.jpg.bc8abf833a3e8829ee00e00dccd5e0ce.jpg

327598788_Randy-Quaid-26-Amber-Benson-in-Bye-Bye-Love-Premium-Photograph-and-Poster-1002138__39581.1432428820_1280_1280.jpg.83533efb0bf747e3560bd947c3bab22a.jpg

00711b14.thumb.jpg.bf4a65287559cfcb350f4d23f0558f3b.jpg

byebyelove_0045.thumb.jpg.e1af942a99f3f721061a40b13baf210f.jpg

byebyelove_0208.thumb.jpg.5aab8444e3e519ce724b3a6b4ee8152e.jpg

byebyelove_0238.thumb.jpg.bb15624987b622d067c1c220e665444e.jpg

h1rnr6ubxji51.thumb.jpg.3215f7c7fda56a9147ebcff7bbb7688c.jpg

screenshot1s.png.9233d78b08781a7540ff7ba40003e526.png

tumblr_pra85wmxrM1wpqdbjo8_r1_500.jpg.24c57dd4db263510b52980bcc0306ae8.jpg

unnamed.jpg.3eb88b7b02a93271d7c92f73e83e32e8.jpg

Btw, Lindsay Crouse starred in ABC Afterschool Specials' 13x5 I Want to Go Home playing Louise Sanders, the divorsed mom who kidnapped her own kids. Her son Tommy was portrayed by Seth Green. In Bye Bye Love she portrays Grace Damico, also a divorcee, who has two children - daughter and son. Daughter Meg is played by none other than Amber Benson. 

So I loved Leonard Roberts as Forrest (even when I didn't like Forrest very much) and I was pleased to see him in the cast of Heroes, a few years later.  (It was a little annoying that he was announced as part of the cast before the show premiered, and his character didn't appear until episode 6, but he got there eventually.)

And I always thought the show made a mistake killing "D.L." off at the start of Season Two.  Well, Roberts also has some thoughts on that, and on his overall experience on Heroes, which he's written about in an essay in Variety.

(Short version:  racism.  And on-screen wife Ali Larter REALLY preferred doing romantic scenes with Adrian Pasdar as opposed to with Roberts, if you know what Roberts is pretty near explicitly saying about Larter.)

One footnote:  Larter's character was also killed off, at the end of Season Two.  However, she then returned as her previously-unmentioned-identical twin for the second half of Season Three (S3 was extended, but split into two parts) and, IIRC, the final Season 4, as well.  That…did not happen for Roberts.  Just saying.

heros-07.jpg

• Useful 1
On 12/26/2020 at 6:40 AM, Halting Hex said:

So I loved Leonard Roberts as Forrest (even when I didn't like Forrest very much) and I was pleased to see him in the cast of Heroes, a few years later.  (It was a little annoying that he was announced as part of the cast before the show premiered, and his character didn't appear until episode 6, but he got there eventually.)

And I always thought the show made a mistake killing "D.L." off at the start of Season Two.  Well, Roberts also has some thoughts on that, and on his overall experience on Heroes, which he's written about in an essay in Variety.

(Short version:  racism.  And on-screen wife Ali Larter REALLY preferred doing romantic scenes with Adrian Pasdar as opposed to with Roberts, if you know what Roberts is pretty near explicitly saying about Larter.)

One footnote:  Larter's character was also killed off, at the end of Season Two.  However, she then returned as her previously-unmentioned-identical twin for the second half of Season Three (S3 was extended, but split into two parts) and, IIRC, the final Season 4, as well.  That…did not happen for Roberts.  Just saying.

heros-07.jpg

He writes very well but I don't buy it, Larter was the pinup girl (along with Hadyn) and heroes rapidly killed off many characters regardless of colour. He says himself he and Larter weren't popular couple. 

So lets have a rundown of the cast this year;

SMG; prepping for Other People's Houses and doing the voice for Teela in MOTU

AH; 2 movies and one ep of tv

NB; 3 movies on the go and more importantly staying out of trouble. 

ASH; busy year, 8 eps of TV, 3 movies and provided the voice for Giles on Robot Chicken

ED; No roles since 2017? Maybe just enjoying married life and starting a family?

MT; ditto, no roles for 2 years?

KS; appearing in romantic comedy film Before/During/After

MB; 4 movie roles and a tv ep guest spot. 

JM; very busy on TV, including returning to his recurring role on Hawaii 50.

DB; Seal Team into its' 4th season, he really has the Midas touch.  

AD; busy on Sabrina and Legacies.

JAR; busy on Council of Dads and coming out. 

AA; couple of movie shorts and a tv ep

CC; no credits this year at all? 

AB; nor her although she seems to be writing away. 

Joss himself having quit the TV series The Nevers and got a lot of criticism towards his behaviour lately. But we shall see. 

So a mixed bag really, most getting by quite alright, a few missing in action. 

Edited by Joe Hellandback
  • Love 1

Seth Green, Amber Benson, Eric Balfour, Channon Roe, Christopher Wiehl, Clea DuVall, John Patrick WhiteNicole Bilderback & Paige Moss in Can't Hardly Wait, 1998.

Nine actors who starred in both Buffy and the aforementioned movie.

kfe3l5fk8mh21.jpg

1n0sf92okl151.jpg

eric.jpg

channon.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

1091ktqnrkd51.jpg

unnamed.jpg

nicole.jpg

Paige-Moss-dating-3.jpg

Per TVLine: * Charisma Carpenter (Veronica Mars, Angel) will guest-star on an upcoming episode of The CW’s Dynasty, TVLine has learned exclusively. She will play Heather, a former babysitter of Fallon’s who makes a surprise return — and drops a huge bombshell on the Carringtons. Expect to see her in Episode 17, airing Friday, July 8 at 9/8c

Huh.  I lost the CW here a couple of years back (they switched it to one of those "decimal channels" [10.2] and DirecTV won't cover them…it's like back when they didn't do ANY local channels and I had to watch the first 10 eps of S6 with only a lousy over-air picture), so it's always a shock when I'm reminded that the Dynasty reboot is still chugging along.  (I believe this is season 5.)

More power to the lovely Elizabeth Gillies (Fallon).  (Gillies was in Victorious! with Ariana Grande, who was in Scream Queens with Emma Roberts, who was in Scream 4 with various people who were in Scream 2 with SMG.)

So nowadays my voyeurism fetish not only extends to Buffy reactors (it's a classic, after all, deserves to be shared) and music reactors (hey, look, it's acceptable racism!  We watch black folks learn to appreciate white music!  Rudyard Kipling would be proud!) but also movie reactors. (Because I don't waste enough time already…)

And one of them was watching Can't Buy Me Love (the early Patrick Dempsey rom-com originally titled "Boy Rents Girl") and I'm quite surprised to teen that Dempsey's kid brother is played by a pre-teen Seth Green.  Amusing to watch Seth be "big" in his acting as "Chucky" when he grew up to affect such a stoic style later on.  But kids will be kids.  So even Oz was once a "look at me!" camera hog, huh?