Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

Week 3 - #Arrow had 2.6mil viewers L+SD, and added 1.4 mil viewers L+7. Total = 4.0 mil viewers. 53% increase.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/10/26/broadcast-live-7-ratings-week-3-2015-16/480276/

It says week 3 but they wouldn't have L+7 numbers yet, would they? So I'm guessing this is for 401. Still awesome though.

Edit: It's week 3 of the 2015/2016 season so yeah. These numbers are for 401.

Edited by Guest

It says week 3 but they wouldn't have L+7 numbers yet, would they? So I'm guessing this is for 401. Still awesome though.

Edit: It's week 3 of the 2015/2016 season so yeah. These numbers are for 401.

Week 3 (5th Oct - 11th Oct 2015)

Based on 401...

15 TV Shows That Are Way Up or Way Down in the Ratings This Fall
by JEAN BENTLEY Mon., Oct. 26, 2015 8:30 AM PDT
http://www.eonline.com/news/709346/15-tv-shows-that-are-way-up-or-way-down-in-the-ratings-this-fall

UP: ARROW
The CW's ratings are always lower than its bigger network rivals, so the fact that Arrow's season four premiere actually ticked up a tenth of a point from its 2014 season three debut is a pretty big bulls-eye.

Arrow ranked third in the Daily Top Five Nielsen Twitter TV ratings. For posterity again:

Unique audience (000): 599
Impressions (000): 2196
Unique authors (000): 10
Tweets (000): 38

Compared to last week's episode, "Restoration":

Unique audience (000): 569
Impressions (000): 1914
Unique authors (000): 9
Tweets (000): 40

So, up in audience, impressions and authors, slightly down in tweets. Regarding that decent jump in Impressions, it may be meaningful that a number of relatively known actors, directors and writers jumped on board to livetweet a Lexi Alexander directed episode, with many noting that they rarely watched/had never previously watched the show.  (Also, although he missed "Restoration," William Shatner was back on board to snark about Hoodie, and he has 2.26 million followers.)

• Love 1

Lexi Alexander herself was also live tweeting during the East Coast and West Coast airings of the episode, so that most likely boosted the Twitter ratings.

I'm glad this season is doing well in the ratings. Overall, it's so much better than season 3 in terms of tone and balance. It's great that people are tuning in and sticking around.

Edited by lemotomato

"Beyond Redemption," 0.9 in the demo, 2.64 overall.

Since we had some discussion of the impact of the World Series on the demo/ratings, for comparison:

Episode 304, "The Magician," October 29, 1.0 in the demo, 2.49 overall (against a World Series game; it did worse in total viewers than the episodes before and after)

Episode 204, "Crucible,", October 30, .8 in the demo, 2.37 overall (against a controversial World Series game; this episode was considerably lower in the demo/total viewers than other season 2A episodes, and was almost certainly an outlier)

Episode 104, "An Innocent Man," October 31, 1.0 in the demo, 3.05 overall (I just checked, and this one wasn't against a World Series game - the 2012 World Series ended October 28. It did worse in total viewers and the demo than the episodes right before and after. Halloween may have been a factor.)

Episode 103, "The Lone Gunman," October 24 (first game of the 2012 World Series), 1.1 in the demo, 3.51 overall.

• Love 2

For context, the WS game last night was game 2 in a best of 7 series. The WS game that went up against 3x04 was game 6, with the Giants up 3 games to 2, so it was a potential championship clincher. More people are likely to be invested in the game in that situation.

I think Arrow having a low rating in the 18-25 is the reason Roy is gone and Thea is getting a new love interest(again). The network is trying to boost Arrow's Young numbers. And it's also why flashbacks are blink and miss short so far.

Quarks, do you (or anyone else) know how Hulu Plus viewings affect the ratings?

I'm not quarks, but I'll take a stab at it.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong people)

They don't affect the ratings. I believe they collect data on who watches on various platforms such as Hulu, Netflix, and the CW app. I heard they also track data on what you ff on those platforms. But the only thing that counts toward actual ratings are live viewing and DVR viewing.

LBR, they have more data on more things than we can probably even imagine. Ratings are used to determine advertisement stuff. But I highly doubt that's all show runners look at nowadays.

• Love 1

Cross-posting this here for archival purposes (in case we ever need to find it again)...

Here, Topsy lets everyone see the previous 30 days of Twitter activity:

3 different searches:

http://topsy.com/analytics?q1=Felicity%20Smoak&q2=Oliver%20Queen&q3=Laurel%20Lance&via=Topsy

http://topsy.com/analytics?q1=%23Arrow%20Felicity&q2=%23Arrow%20Oliver&q3=%23Arrow%20Laurel&via=Topsy

http://topsy.com/analytics?q1=%23FelicitySmoak&q2=%23OliverQueen&q3=%23LaurelLance&via=Topsy

Those spikes are the days Arrow aired. If you hover over the points, you can see the most popular tweet of that day.

Quarks, do you (or anyone else) know how Hulu Plus viewings affect the ratings?

Hulu Plus and Hulu have no effect on Nielsen ratings at all. They are, however, another source of revenue for the show, paid out per episode viewed. 

Hulu also collects viewing statistics. However, and this is a big however, I don't know if Arrow gets those stats as part of the licensing arrangement or not - Hulu is a Disney/Fox/NBC/Comcast thing, not a WB or CBS thing.

• Love 2

Hulu Plus and Hulu have no effect on Nielsen ratings at all. They are, however, another source of revenue for the show, paid out per episode viewed. 

Hulu also collects viewing statistics. However, and this is a big however, I don't know if Arrow gets those stats as part of the licensing arrangement or not - Hulu is a Disney/Fox/NBC/Comcast thing, not a WB or CBS thing.

So if they get a payout per view, they would care whether the episode is viewed, at least?  

So if they get a payout per view, they would care whether the episode is viewed, at least?  

Yep, and they would also have information on how many times a specific episode was viewed (info that can also get listed on residual reports), if not necessarily by how many different people.  For instance, a 10 view payout could be ten different people or one person watching that episode on Hulu ten times.

With Amazon/iTunes/Google Play the payout is per unit sold.

And what should it tell them about Thea? She is even lower.

I'm sure the show runners look at multiple sources of information for how characters resonate with the audience, so things like Q factors would be considered as well among others.  No one source is definitive. 

I believe it's all US DVRs, adjusted for Miami-based Bahamas viewers, which is a privacy issue we should probably be discussing on another site, but moving on. The Live Plus does not include multiplatform - that is, a network's webpage, Amazon/iTunes/Google Play, since multiplatform views do not affect broadcast ad buys.

Speaking of multiplatform, I think that this morning's announcement from CBS, that the new Star Trek is only going to get released on their proprietary CBS All Access player, is yet another indication of what we've all discussed here: the growing importance of multiplatform revenue, and the thus ridiculous (sorry, oh corporate entertainment overlords, but it is ridiculous) insistence on continuing to set the budgets of shows like Arrow on the ad buy budget. 

• Love 5

I actually thought with the Constantine fans, the numbers would be higher too.  Perhaps, there was an anti-Laurel hesitation among some subset of fans, but I seriously doubt that affected ratings.  I also don't think that the leak kept anyone from watching live. Maybe the numbers are what the numbers are at this point, and they are definitely holding steady and good...just nowhere near Flash.  I will be curious to see next week if there is any bump from a Felicity-centric episode.  And obviously, they will get a big bump from the Flash crossover.  But then these EPs will likely do what they always do, and quickly go back to sturm and drang and doom and gloom in episode 9 and not retain any new (or lapsed) viewers.  Which is too bad because the first part of this season has been not-so-depressing (exception graveside foreshadowing) - and the extra Flash viewers really should check it out. 

Don't the ratings always tend to adjust up? With the exception of last week. 

I dunno... I think it's a bit too early to draw conclusions just yet. Last week there was a lot of about-facing (not here, in other places) when the adjusted ratings in the afternoon showed that there was no audience bump. 

• Love 1

Don't the ratings always tend to adjust up? With the exception of last week. 

I dunno... I think it's a bit too early to draw conclusions just yet. Last week there was a lot of about-facing (not here, in other places) when the adjusted ratings in the afternoon showed that there was no audience bump. 

Actually, ratings haven't adjusted up once this season, the only time the ratings were adjusted were last week, where Arrow adjusted down after the Chicago Sports pre-emption ratings were removed in the Finals.

Is it possible that Arrow could adjust up?  Sure but I wouldn't say it's probable.  

Edited by Morrigan2575