Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: I Rode a Hoverboard

Stinger97
  • Start Topic

I must really be getting old and losing my memory. The entire episode i kept on saying that can't be right wasn't that song "Faith" not released until the 90's, I was wrong, it was 1987.

I so want to reach through the television and brush Adams best friends hair. I know she is supposed to be a tomboy, but she looks homeless her hair is so messy.

Edited by Texasmom1970

I must really be getting old and losing my memory. The entire episode i kept on saying that can't be right wasn't that song "Faith" not released until the 90's, I was wrong, it was 1987.

I so want to reach through the television and brbrush Adams best friends hair. I know she is supposed to be a tomboy, but she looks homeless her hair is so messy.

I feel the same way, but in the home video at the end, she really did have pretty wild hair, so maybe it's supposed to be true to the real-life Emmy Mirsky?

Snarky I guess you are right, the real Emmy did have that wild 80's hair. The actress on the show maybe they are trying to show that big 80's hair on her. I guess it's just the mom in me that wants to brush her hair

Edited by Texasmom1970

I loved this one. I usually comment on Troy Gentile's commitment to physical gags, but now Sean Giambrone deserves some kudos for his George Michael. The Teen Wolf story Barry came up with would not have been too bad. Adam could have said a cousin has a van. Or his uncle!

Big Tasty Pork! I really liked Mrs. Kim. And the Emmy friendship is so nice.

Hysterical episode! I loved the chinese restaurant bit. My family also went to chinese once a week or more, it was the only one in town. It might have been called China Garden. Dave Kim is a great part, I would like to see him more, along with Emmy, she's great.

If the Goldbergs are Jewish they certainly go out of their way to violate kosher law.
Pork and shrimp are taboo and meat/cheese should be served on separate plates six hours apart.  Was Adam using  a super 8 to film and then transfer to vhs?  Was this possible to do at home in the 1980’s?
VHS cameras in the early/mid 80’s were limited to Sony beta and were large and expensive.

Given Beverly's controlling ways, you'd think she'd be a little stricter on the Jewish part for her family.

had a video cam in the '80s that had a mini cassette that you fit into a special VHS player tape. Or you connected it to your VCR with a cable and transferred the movie to VHS for permanent keepsies. Our camera was relatively smallmouth but those in the early '80s were enormous, as in! Needing a shoulder support.

Edited by Shermie

Is Beverly Jewish herself, though, or is it just Murray? If she wasn't and she converted when she and Murray married, that could explain why she's so lax about the rules with the family. And Murray doesn't seem incredibly strict about much except losing his pants whenever possible, and sports. 

Considering that Pops last name is Solomon, I"m guessing that they're Jewish ...

I thought it was funny that Adam and Erica came upon the perfect explanation for his lie but didn't seem to realize it.

Adam could have just said that he had been filming himself riding a "hoverboard" prop for a movie he was shooting and the rope came undone.

Interesting.  In my area we had a classic Chinese restaurant around LONG before the timeline of this show--the kind with Polynesian-style pu pu platters and heavy run drinks served from a tacky Tiki bar, with the bulk of the food actually being Cantonese.  The innovation in the 80s wasn't the Chinese Restaurant per se, it was the opening of cheaper competitors as "Chinese Kitchens" (take out joints where it was just a counter, a waiting area, and a takeout/delivery menu--where the owners and employees were often still Cantonese--but leveraged growing awareness of other regions of China by naming the businesses with names like "Hunan Gardens" or "Szechuan Kitchen" and serving a few token spicier dishes).

I imagine like many Jews they aren't religious and they don't keep kosher. 

Only a tiny minority do (I think that change came about around the generation represented by Murray and Bev, as kids I mean).

Apparently, you really can ride a hoverboard: http://www.themarysue.com/leaf-blower-hoverboard/

While we sort of see the bottom side a tiny bit (not much) and I guess there aren't any obvious wheels, I'm skeptical that four leafblowers displace enough air to lift a 150+ pound guy even a few inches (and there's no "dip" to the board when someone steps onto it).

Because it's on such a smooth surface (clean blemishless concrete) I suppose if its not 100% fake, then this is about the thing basically SLIDING. The air may or may not be helping with that, I don't know, but if so it's akin to how a puck float on an air hockey table. Does that really count as a hoverboard? I dunno. Maybe.