Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Behavioral Gabbing Unit

• Start Topic

Happy election day (also known as thank-goodness-the-campaigning-is-finally-over day)!!!

I have a 'quote of the day' app on my phone, and today's quote is:

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter" - Winston Churchill

That quote makes me laugh every time. Perhaps I am just in an overly optimistic mood.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Bookish Jen said:

Today I grieve; tomorrow I get back to work.

Precisely. Feeling fortunate I have today off. Warm furry blanket, warm lemon-ginger tea, and warm peanut butter and banana toast are what's on tap. And grieving in concert with my fellow Americans, like you. 

Well, according to my phone, I got 4h 48min of sleep last night, and my sleep quality was only 68% - apparently I slept quite restlessly. Wonder why - I haven't gotten over feeling stunned.

Got to work for 7:30am, and had a very hectic day, including a widespread power loss, and I was also on my own, since the other person is away. It's a hospital so there are back-up generators, but they're there for things like ventilators, and the outage still caused quite a few problems. Of course it couldn't have happened last week when our unit was dead quiet.

And now I have more work to do now that I am home.

I'm exhausted. Not sure I'll be able to stay awake tonight for CM.

• Love 2

Everyone I encountered today has on their 'public' face at first. The man at the bank, the market cashier... they all ask me how I'm doing and I'm honest and say "Pretty shitty, actually. How 'bout you?" And their facade falls and we commiserate for long minutes, speaking the same language. 

Being able to look someone in the eye and discuss your feelings about what happened helps, it really does. There's still the swirl of mystery though as to what comes next, and it's really scary.

13 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Fuck stunned, I'm drunk.

That is all.

"Fuck Stunned. I'm Drunk."

The latest release from Spencer, Hold My Earrings.

6 hours ago, zannej said:

This has been one very bizarre year thus far. Next thing you know, cats are going to take over.

tumblr_ogf0q6X5iB1qhfuqwo1_1280.jpg

According to the original Mr. Scratch, my cat Pokey Jones, cats have already taken over.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 1

Well, to answer my own question, we won't have Robert Vaughn.

http://tvline.com/2016/11/11/robert-vaughn-dead-man-from-uncle-died/

Robert Vaughn was so ridiculously suave, but had such a fantastic humour about it that you simply couldn't hate him for it. I was a massive fan of The Man From U.N.C.L.E as a kid (thirty-odd years after the show was made - I was a huge fan of the 'classics' - the original Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, Outer Limits and The Addams Family). Will someone please wrap Nichelle Nichols and David McCallum up in bubble-wrap until 2017, please? I simply can't lose them too. I feel like all my childhood idols are dying.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lebanna said:

Will someone please wrap Nichelle Nichols and David McCallum up in bubble-wrap until 2017, please? I simply can't lose them too. I feel like all my childhood idols are dying.

As someone who is still holding out hope for a Simon & Garfunkel reunion tour (hey, I can dream!), I am pretty worried about the two of them.

But yes, I would be crushed about David McCallum especially.

Such a sad week.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

The Kardashians?

::Ducks rotting fruit::

Kasaba coming your way...

Going back through the Man From UNCLE YouTube stuff reminded me of how much of an Illya vibe I got from Matthew, especially early on. I really wanted MGG to play Illya in whatever movie came about, but, oh well.

• Love 2

I had a weird experience in a store today. Anyone here work retail that might be able to answer some questions on store protocol when you have limited stock and more than one customer wanting the same item?

There was a sale on a chair I wanted to get. I found one up on a shelf but I couldn't get it down without help. So, my friend stood by the box while I found an employee and asked for assistance. I was told that the forklift operator was getting something down for another customer and would come help me in a few minutes. A few minutes later, the forklift came around to the aisle I was in and I heard him say "Here's one!" and he took the chair down. I was about to thank him when another employee loaded it onto the cart of another customer (who had been looking for the chair but not found it yet). Then the forklift operator asked me what I needed and I told him it was the chair he just gave to the other customer. He called out to a supervisor and asked for assistance (at that point I thought there were more in stock-- there had been 7 listed). The supervisor that came up was rather rude.

The forklift operator called out to the customer with the last box and told him that I'd been waiting on that box. Guy just kept walking away.

To compound the situation, there was a woman there who had purchased 6 chairs (already gone to the register and paid for them) and had already pulled 4 chairs to the front and was looking for the other two. She was right there as the customer was walking off with the chair I'd found. The supervisor wouldn't even look her in the eye or speak to her. He addressed the man that was with her and said "She's going to have to get a refund then."

When the forklift operator said "Wait" and told the guy who was walking off with the box that the other lady had already paid for it, the guy flipped us all off and kept walking.

Another issue was that they had included the floor model in their inventory listing-- so there were really only 6 chairs to begin with. The Floor model was damaged. I inquired about getting the floor model for an additional discount since it was damaged and the supervisor rudely said that he could make more money sending it back to claims and wouldn't lower the price. After searching the store and realizing that they had inventoried the floor model I started discussing just buying the floor model anyway and the supervisor (who walked up when I was on another aisle) butted in and told me he wouldn't sell me the floor model and that he was going to return it. At least the guy who ran the forklift apologized to me on the way out.

So, my question is: If a customer already paid for the items, wouldn't they have to let her take the last boxed one instead of giving it to that guy?

And, had the other lady not purchased the chair already and it was just between the customer who was standing next to the box with their hand on it vs the customer who was looking for it, who would get it?

I shouldn't let this bug me, but it just irked the hell out of me to have that experience.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, zannej said:

I had a weird experience in a store today. Anyone here work retail that might be able to answer some questions on store protocol when you have limited stock and more than one customer wanting the same item?

There was a sale on a chair I wanted to get. I found one up on a shelf but I couldn't get it down without help. So, my friend stood by the box while I found an employee and asked for assistance. I was told that the forklift operator was getting something down for another customer and would come help me in a few minutes. A few minutes later, the forklift came around to the aisle I was in and I heard him say "Here's one!" and he took the chair down. I was about to thank him when another employee loaded it onto the cart of another customer (who had been looking for the chair but not found it yet). Then the forklift operator asked me what I needed and I told him it was the chair he just gave to the other customer. He called out to a supervisor and asked for assistance (at that point I thought there were more in stock-- there had been 7 listed). The supervisor that came up was rather rude.

The forklift operator called out to the customer with the last box and told him that I'd been waiting on that box. Guy just kept walking away.

To compound the situation, there was a woman there who had purchased 6 chairs (already gone to the register and paid for them) and had already pulled 4 chairs to the front and was looking for the other two. She was right there as the customer was walking off with the chair I'd found. The supervisor wouldn't even look her in the eye or speak to her. He addressed the man that was with her and said "She's going to have to get a refund then."

When the forklift operator said "Wait" and told the guy who was walking off with the box that the other lady had already paid for it, the guy flipped us all off and kept walking.

Another issue was that they had included the floor model in their inventory listing-- so there were really only 6 chairs to begin with. The Floor model was damaged. I inquired about getting the floor model for an additional discount since it was damaged and the supervisor rudely said that he could make more money sending it back to claims and wouldn't lower the price. After searching the store and realizing that they had inventoried the floor model I started discussing just buying the floor model anyway and the supervisor (who walked up when I was on another aisle) butted in and told me he wouldn't sell me the floor model and that he was going to return it. At least the guy who ran the forklift apologized to me on the way out.

So, my question is: If a customer already paid for the items, wouldn't they have to let her take the last boxed one instead of giving it to that guy?

And, had the other lady not purchased the chair already and it was just between the customer who was standing next to the box with their hand on it vs the customer who was looking for it, who would get it?

I shouldn't let this bug me, but it just irked the hell out of me to have that experience.

Yes, this is odd. You think they'd want to make a sale even if they have to give you a small discount. However, they might be following store protocol, which often comes from the "suits" above. Does this store have customer hotline you can call to find out more?

Good luck!

53 minutes ago, zannej said:

Hey there, I PMed you on Twitter. I am so sorry that happened to you.

• Love 1

The upside is, I called another store that had the chair in stock and told them what happened so they set one aside for me (even though they aren't really supposed to) and had it on a cart waiting for me when I arrived. They were extremely nice to me there.

• Love 3

About the loss of Leonard Cohen, I felt so sad when I heard the news. My way of saying goodbye, has been, of course, listening to his songs. I think I hadn't listened to his music so much for years, I have even discovered some songs I had never heard. Such beautiful lyrics and music. And although he said of himself that he couldn't sing, I love his very personal voice. 

Editing to add something I forgot: when I was looking for some of his songs in Youtube, I found some versions of "Take this waltz" sung by Spanish (flamenco) singers. I didn't know them, and they are beautiful. So thank you, Mr Cohen!! 

Edited by senin
  • Love 1

I'll miss Leonard, but he was ready to go. When his friend and muse Marianne was dying this summer, he wrote her that beautiful letter telling her he wasn't far behind her and if she stretched out her hand, "I think you can reach mine."

• Love 2

Thanks for sharing that, JMO, he was a mensch.

I love this quote: “I have a deep tribal sense,” he said. “I grew up in a synagogue that my ancestors built. I sat in the third row. My family was decent. They were good people, they were handshake people. So I never had a sense of rebellion.”

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I was really sad when I heard this :(

Aw, I can't really be sad when one has had such an accomplished life that spanned 95 years, and was surrounded by respect and love. We should all hope to go out that way, since we all have to. He was a cool guy.

• Love 4