Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Behavioral Gabbing Unit

• Start Topic

On 12/14/2016 at 7:18 AM, secnarf said:

Alan Thicke died yesterday, too. 

I can't wait for this year to be over. 

Me, too. Far too many people of note died this year; I just can't take it.

I truly believe 2016 has been one of the worst years of my life. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm being a drama queen.

• Love 1

It's been a tough year for a lot of people I know (and for me, too). I just hope it won't be worse next year. But, if it is, this is one of the places I will probably come to be cheered up and try to cheer you all up. This is a fun place to be, and I enjoy you guys. I'm hopeful for a Happy New Year for all.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, normasm said:

It's been a tough year for a lot of people I know (and for me, too). I just hope it won't be worse next year. But, if it is, this is one of the places I will probably come to be cheered up and try to cheer you all up. This is a fun place to be, and I enjoy you guys. I'm hopeful for a Happy New Year for all.

This is one place where I truly feel treasured and valued for my ideas, opinions, mix-ed up emotions, sensitive feelings and odd ball sense of humor, and not just when it comes to my on-line life. I feel like you people "get me." I've also been spending time on the PTV-Current Events and Political threads, which has given me a place to vent my spleen.

I wish nothing but true joy in the upcoming year to everyone here. I'm sending all of you hugs, kisses, sugar mint cookies and mismatched socks. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, normasm said:

I hope someone makes you sugar mint cookies and gives you hugs, kisses, and mismatched socks!

Awww, you are so sweet. I thought AG would have been that person but alas, he was not. Hmm, maybe I'll find.that person in 2017.

2017 has to be the year of healing and self-care. My depression and anxiety amped up to 11 this year. I truly believe I experienced a nervous breakdown. Everything went to shit in 2016, my hygiene, my concentration, my emotions, my ability to handle my work. I just couldn't do anything whether it came to my finances, running errands, or household chores. 

I'm going to get back to my depression support group in the new year and learn more about mental health issues. I hope this helps me heal.

• Love 2

My mother used to say that leap years bring bad luck. I know it's just a superstition, but in your case, Bookie, it has obviously been a bad year, Well,  it's coming to an end now, you've made a wise decision already (going back to support group) and I really hope 2017 will be much better for you. 

I'm sending all the love, energy and good wishes for you, across the Atlantic. It will take a while until they get there, but they will arrive before the end of the year, I hope. 

• Love 4

I think your mother is right, Senin; leap years have been difficult for me. 2008 was rough for that's when the recession began. And 2012 through parts of 2013 were pretty rough due to two major set setbacks when it came to my writing life. I'm hoping 2017 is much better, not just for me, but for a lot of people I know and adore, both in my real life and on-line.

I do believe once I get back to my support group and learn more about mental health issues I will be able to deal with my demons and get back on track mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually, financially, etc. I may have some set backs and have to make certain amends, but I do hope I come out stronger in the end.

And thank you so much for all the good vibes everyone. I can't begin to tell you how much they mean to me.

• Love 3

My mother died in Leap Year 1996, 20 years ago. I have a love/hate relationship with leap years. She actually died on February 29th, so, that's about as "leap year" as one can get! For my sisters and me, the "new year", especially in Leap Year, is March the 1st.

Booky, you and folks like you (friends, family, nice remote souls) are the reason I never blow off New Year's Day, because, no matter how awful the previous year might have been, hope can take over for a time, and we can think about each other and hope and work for the best. I wish you so much strength, which it doesn't sound like you need, but, when yours flags a bit, think about those of us who are pulling for you to be OK! Go, girl!

My brother and sister also died on Feb 29, however I tend to take that out on the month of February rather than leap years on the whole. I keep thinking how glad I will be to see the end of 2016, which has been quite a memorable year in both good and bad ways, and quite life-altering - but then I worry about January every time I turn on the news, and I want it to stay 2016 for a while longer. And frankly, I'm looking forward to 2020.

Essentially what I get from that is that life just keeps coming, with both good and bad. In some ways 2017 will be better than 2016, and in some ways it will probably be worse. All we can do is try to make the good outweigh the bad, but that has to start with taking care of ourselves.

• Love 1

Normasm and Secnarf, so sorry about the loss of your loved ones. How heart breaking. Yea, leap year should just be leaped over, leaped over into utter joy.

2016 wasn't a complete lost. I learned to to speak mind, especially when it comes to politics and social issues. I continue to cultivate my creative side. My book review blog is doing well and now I'm working fan fiction, which is a new challenge for me.

I continue to be Martha Stewart's bitch. I'm getting back into crafting and can't wait to make new jewelry and various bath and beauty products. And I am seriously kicking butt in the kitchen. So far I've made some cinnamon sugar cookies, my zesty pretzels and chocolate chip cake. Tomorrow I'm going to make a pot of French onion soup.

• Love 3

Earrings and bath and beauty projects, you say...? Like for instance, THESE beauties?? Gorgeous and fun purple/blue earrings, and clean and green-smelling handmade soaps that ROCK! All Bookish Jen originals. 

QD7k1r7.jpg

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Franky said:

Earrings and bath and beauty projects, you say...? Like for instance, THESE beauties?? Gorgeous and fun purple/blue earrings, and clean and green-smelling handmade soaps that ROCK! All Bookish Jen originals. 

QD7k1r7.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I kind of wanted to post the pic myself but I thought it might come across as too braggy.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, normasm said:

Oooh, Booky, french onion soup! (My daddy used to make it!) And while I'm talking to Martha Stewart's bitch, have you seen Martha and Snoop Dog's House Party, or whatever it's called?

I have three go-to soups I make every winter, French onion, chicken soup and vegetarian vegetable with an available protein like lentils or quinoa.

And sadly I don't have cable so I haven't seen Martha and Snoop's show. Bummer.

• Love 1

We had a horrible year in 2015. Knee surgery for both my husband and  me and then we lost both his parents within 6 weeks of each other. So we thought 2016 could not possibly be as bad but there were some difficult things for the family and we lost our sweet kitty, Callie the Serial Killer Cat . But like I did for so many years with Criminal Minds, I find myself saying, "next year has got to be better." I think we have to remain as optimistic as we possibly can just for our own spirits and will to go on. Right now I'm awfully grateful I live in the south and am not experiencing the kind of cold and ice and snow our two kids who are still northerners are experiencing. I'm grateful for my job which is only part time. While I'd love to have more money, the time off at my age feels pretty good. I'm paid well enough for the hours that I do work. I have enough to get by. I just hope my husband and I can retire while we're still able to get around and enjoy ourselves. Even if it's only a year or two, and then we die, that would be okay. I know that sounds morbid, but he has worked his butt off for our entire marriage. Even when he taught, he'd take grad courses during his breaks and take on all the freelance writing he could handle. I'd like for him to have a chance to relax and do what he'd like to do. The only way I can get that man to relax is to get him on a cruise ship. Anyway, I hope that we get through the next year with some idea of what direction our future will take. 

And I hope all of you will have a wonderful new year. I wish you good health, safe travels, good health for your pets, great job opportunities and the love of friends and family. 

• Love 9

Here is my mom's recipe for chocolate chip cake. I made this over the week-end.

Chocolate Chip Cake

1 cup diced dates, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 1/2  cup boiling water

Mix the above and let cool.

Cream together ½ C butter and 1 C sugar

Add 2 eggs and mix well and add to the above cooled mixture.

Add 1 ½ C + 3 Tablespoon sifted flour,  ¼ t salt,  ¾ t baking soda

Mix well and pour into oblong pan (approx. 9” x 12”)

Before baking, top with one 12 oz. chocolate chips and ½ C chopped nuts (I didn't add nuts)

and1/2 C sugar

Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 35 minutes.

We were enjoying her, and I told my husband her story. he was kinda shocked, but it is still kinda nice to watch her do her thing, probably knowing she wouldn't be around for her 15 minutes of fame. She showed a simple grace. Last night, when she won (and I don't know if it's her last win), she was so amazed she won, she seemed completely gobsmacked, taking several beats on camera to seemingly catch her breath. I hope she enjoyed this so much, and the rest of her time.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

Here is my mom's recipe for chocolate chip cake. I made this over the week-end.

Chocolate Chip Cake

1 cup diced dates, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 1/2  cup boiling water

Mix the above and let cool.

Cream together ½ C butter and 1 C sugar

Add 2 eggs and mix well and add to the above cooled mixture.

Add 1 ½ C + 3 Tablespoon sifted flour,  ¼ t salt,  ¾ t baking soda

Mix well and pour into oblong pan (approx. 9” x 12”)

Before baking, top with one 12 oz. chocolate chips and ½ C chopped nuts (I didn't add nuts)

and1/2 C sugar

Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 35 minutes.

This is intriguing and looks good.  What do the dates bring to the cake?  Like, moist-ness? (gah, I hate the word "moist.") Like adding zucchini?  Oh, wait -- that's the sweetness?  I'm so confused.  My brain is a cup of coffee short.

And you top the cake with chocolate chips, nuts and sugar before baking?  (I'd probably definitely add the nuts -- I'm a pecanoholic.)

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Droogie said:

This is intriguing and looks good.  What do the dates bring to the cake?  Like, moist-ness? (gah, I hate the word "moist.") Like adding zucchini?  Oh, wait -- that's the sweetness?  I'm so confused.  My brain is a cup of coffee short.

And you top the cake with chocolate chips, nuts and sugar before baking?  (I'd probably definitely add the nuts -- I'm a pecanoholic.)

Yes, the dates add a bit of moistness; sometimes cakes get to be a bit dry. And dates also add a smidge sweetness (but so does the person who makes the cake). And yes, you do top the cake with the chips, nuts and sugar before baking.

• Love 2

My mom told me Carrie Fisher died, and my immediate reaction was "but she was doing better! she was stable!" and then "are you sure? BBC hasn't called it yet! Maybe it's a hoax!"
Even now, six hours later, I find it hard to believe, despite the BBC notification on my phone.

Of all of the celebrity deaths that have happened this year, for some reason hers is one of the ones hitting me the hardest. I really am crushed.

• Love 4

Out-of-hospital CPR has a pretty dismal track record.  Having heard that she'd been 'resuscitated' for fifteen minutes on the plane, I didn't think there was any chance her brain had survived the incident.  I suspect she was 'stable' in a vegetative state, or a state of brain death, as the hospital, and the family, took care of the necessary things.  She was gone the day it happened.  We're only acknowledging it now.

She was an impressive lady, more for her open battle with mental illness than anything else.  She fought it with tenacity, and ferocity, and humor, and she served as a model and an inspiration for many.  RIP, Carrie.  Job well done.

• Love 6

Yes, JMO, she was gone as it unfolded, within minutes. "Stable" simply (can) mean her heart rate is within normal range, or something similar, but the damage to her brain is irreversible and deteriorative, no coming back. It's actually merciful, at least in my opinion, that she had the attack and was essentially gone, but was able to be there for her loved ones to say their goodbyes. It's definitely a comfort when this happens, in my view. This happened to my mother. I think, sometimes, people "hang on" so that their loved ones can say goodbye, and then they go peacefully on. I've seen it happen at least twice.

• Love 4

That was my take. No way could she have survived being oxygen deprived for that long and was probably on life support. So very sad. I have always loved Debbie Reynolds. She's had so much crap in her life, granted much of it due to poor relationship choices she made, but to lose a child, even a grown one, is the worst thing to go through. I'm sorry for Carrie's daughter. I hope she is a strong woman. Carrie had her problems. She may not ever have gotten awards for her acting. She struggled with lots of demons but she was so honest and genuine. I've always loved her. I have some of her books. I wish her peace now and I pray that her daughter does not develop any dependence on substances and that she has a strong support system to help her in the days ahead. 

• Love 6

So incredibly sad to see her leave this mortal coil. Her indelible impression as a pop culture icon and influence as an acerbic and honest author can't be denied or dismissed, ever... her outspoken and genuine strength is what I'll miss most. Her refusal to accept her difficulties as personal failure always rang heroic with me, as did her personification of our glorious, fictional Princess/General Organa.

Thank you Carrie Fisher, for giving us Leia. Thank you even more, for giving us the real you, every chance you got. xo

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Franky said:

So incredibly sad to see her leave this mortal coil. Her indelible impression as a pop culture icon and influence as an acerbic and honest author can't be denied or dismissed, ever... her outspoken and genuine strength is what I'll miss most. Her refusal to accept her difficulties as personal failure always rang heroic with me, as did her personification of our glorious, fictional Princess/General Organa.

Thank you Carrie Fisher, for giving us Leia. Thank you even more, for giving us the real you, every chance you got. xo

Ms. Fisher was also an expert script doctor, polishing them up and making them better. She doctored scripts for movies like "Sister Act" and "The Wedding Singer."

She battled her demons with mental illness and was a strong advocate for those of us who also battle with mental illness.

And then there is this place in my neighborhood; I think will visit it this week-end.
thumbs_storefront-rendering.jpg

http://alderaancoffee.com/

• Love 2
18 hours ago, normasm said:

Yes, JMO, she was gone as it unfolded, within minutes. "Stable" simply (can) mean her heart rate is within normal range, or something similar, but the damage to her brain is irreversible and deteriorative, no coming back. It's actually merciful, at least in my opinion, that she had the attack and was essentially gone, but was able to be there for her loved ones to say their goodbyes. It's definitely a comfort when this happens, in my view. This happened to my mother. I think, sometimes, people "hang on" so that their loved ones can say goodbye, and then they go peacefully on. I've seen it happen at least twice.

My mom and my dad as well, Norm.  Hugs to you.  I knew "stable" meant anything other than something good.  Sorry for her family that all this happened over Christmas and will undoubtedly cast a pall over future holidays.  Carrie Fisher was bomb.  My family and I saw Rogue One on Christmas Day and this was ever-present in the back of my mind while watching it.

I see people die all the time, and this is simply another one, to be honest, but I was a fan.  She will be missed.  And I'm always surprised when the annual list comes out of who died in any given year, but I do think 2016 made a big dent.

• Love 1