Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Behavioral Gabbing Unit

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, MMC said:

When I still had my previous computer I switched back and forth between using Microsoft edge and Google Chrome. To me it seemed to make little difference in the performance of my computer.

I mostly use Firefox because Chrome has some tics I don't care for. I'm not sure if it makes any difference in overall performance, but Chrome makes the Adobe Flash plug in crash more often.

I think Flash is the primary culprit in more hold ups than any other process.  I keep it in disabled mode, for both FIrefox and Chrome, and turn it on only if I really want to see something.  It's supposed to go away in the not-too-distant future, I believe.

22 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I mostly use Firefox because Chrome has some tics I don't care for. I'm not sure if it makes any difference in overall performance, but Chrome makes the Adobe Flash plug in crash more often.

That is a problem I have quite often myself. I wonder if downloading Firefox would help. I did use it at onetime and had some problems with it. But since my computer is still relatively new it might make a difference this time.

22 minutes ago, JMO said:

I think Flash is the primary culprit in more hold ups than any other process.  I keep it in disabled mode, for both FIrefox and Chrome, and turn it on only if I really want to see something.  It's supposed to go away in the not-too-distant future, I believe.

Maybe I should give that a try, but how do I go about disabling it.

18 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Sorry, Booky! I drifted away for a bit because I finally forced myself out of denial about another show and got to work creating the ending I think it should have, but I'll be returning to my original work as soon as I'm on firm footing with that. Thanks for hanging in there and keeping me motivated. :-)

I get it. I know how life and other interests get in the way. I really want to read more because you are an awesome writer!

• Love 1

MMC, for Chrome, you can type chrome://plugins into your browser, and a menu will come up.  Just click 'disable' for Adobe Flash.  It's been a while since I used Firefox (not ever on current laptop), so I don't remember.  But you can Google it.  It was easy, that much I remember.

5 minutes ago, JMO said:

MMC, for Chrome, you can type chrome://plugins into your browser, and a menu will come up.  Just click 'disable' for Adobe Flash.  It's been a while since I used Firefox (not ever on current laptop), so I don't remember.  But you can Google it.  It was easy, that much I remember.

I have Chrome on my smart phone and tablet. But on my desktop I have the Microsoft edge. But I will try googling it as you suggested.

5 hours ago, MMC said:

Does anyone own or ever used the MacBook by Apple. Not that I could ever afford one, but I find myself wondering if they'd be a lot less problematic than my PC. It is less than a month old and it is already behaving as badly as my old computer was. Of course it might make a difffference were I able to afford one that cost between $2,000 & $3,000 instead of having to settle for one costing between $300 & 400.

I have used Apple for my entire life, starting with a 1992 Apple Powerbook. My dad used it until 2010 and it worked perfectly (just as well as it did in 1992). Although, when we booted it up a couple of months ago after a long period of no use, the screen was fading in and out.

I am a huge Apple person, although I think the difference between Apple and non-Apple computers is getting less and less. After that 1992 Powerbook, I got a Macbook Pro and even after a heavy mug fell about a metre and landed directly on the keyboard/speakers, everything worked perfectly. I rarely if ever have any issues. I find the Macbooks to be very user-friendly, but I have also grown up with them, and I often find I have a hard time using non-Apple products.

It is quite an additional expense though, but I would say the price range is more along the lines of $1100 - $3000 (CAD - no idea what these go for in other countries). The computers themselves can easily last for 10+ years, though. My parents' current iMac is 12 years old, and they're just now looking to replace it because it's too old to be compatible with their new printer/scanner. The computer itself is still fine. Imo, for the long lifespan, the cost isn't too bad.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, MMC said:

Does anyone own or ever used the MacBook by Apple. Not that I could ever afford one, but I find myself wondering if they'd be a lot less problematic than my PC. It is less than a month old and it is already behaving as badly as my old computer was. Of course it might make a difffference were I able to afford one that cost between $2,000 & $3,000 instead of having to settle for one costing between $300 & 400.

funny you should ask. We are House of Mac/Apple here. Have always used some form of MacIntosh computer, going back to 1984. Currently, I use a late 2008 Macbook (hey it still works, why not!) my son has a MacBookPro and so does my daughter though hers is a few years older. Son's, the most recent purchase, was about 1800 at the time, new and that's in Canadian dollars, so like 1.35 US O:-) We also each have iPads, though I generally speaking hate it because I like an actual keyboard. But both kids have iPad minis which they love, and hubby's primary machine is an iPad the new big one.

I find that mine, being the oldest machine in the house, is also the slowest and doesn't run some of the newer games that are out but I'm not caring as long as I can use my social media, my browser, my writing program and my Photoshop which I desperately do not want to upgrade because I'm really used to the version I have. I have always been an Apple User, we all have iPhones too and I just couldn't bear the thought of using something other than Apple.

• Love 3
On July 28, 2016 at 0:00 PM, MMC said:

My daughter has a Mac book and swears it is the best thing ever and that she'll never use anything else.   My laptop is a mid-priced Dell that's two years old and I have no problems with it.  Do you have up-to-date anti-virus software?  We use Norton and it has kept us operational for years.

18 hours ago, ReidFan said:

funny you should ask. We are House of Mac/Apple here. Have always used some form of MacIntosh computer, going back to 1984. Currently, I use a late 2008 Macbook (hey it still works, why not!) my son has a MacBookPro and so does my daughter though hers is a few years older. Son's, the most recent purchase, was about 1800 at the time, new and that's in Canadian dollars, so like 1.35 US O:-) We also each have iPads, though I generally speaking hate it because I like an actual keyboard. But both kids have iPad minis which they love, and hubby's primary machine is an iPad the new big one.

I find that mine, being the oldest machine in the house, is also the slowest and doesn't run some of the newer games that are out but I'm not caring as long as I can use my social media, my browser, my writing program and my Photoshop which I desperately do not want to upgrade because I'm really used to the version I have. I have always been an Apple User, we all have iPhones too and I just couldn't bear the thought of using something other than Apple.

I mostly use my iPad when I'm surfing online, visiting sites like this.  It's a 2nd gen, and I've dropped it so many times that one wrong move and the entire screen will fall out.  But it keeps on keeping on.  I never wanna be without an iPad.  I bought my husband an iPad Air for Father's Day and he loves it as well.  His iPad was 1st gen and could no longer accept software updates (which ticks me off but I digress). We also have an LG tablet which is a big bowl of OK to use but hasn't given us any problems.

MMC, give a tablet a try.  You might really like it.  I have google docs on mine and can even write a paper for class in a pinch.

So I was finally able to find the Adobe flash player and disable it. I don't want to get too excited but I am already seeing some improvement in my computer's performance. Now I didn't see Java so I am thinking maybe I don't have it.

Droogie I have  a Kindle which I regret getting. But I also have an HP tablet which I like a lot better than my Kindle. For one thing I much prefer using its virtual keyboard than my Kindle's. But I also have the option of using a regular keyboard with it. Or I can simple dictate what I want to post. That does have its drawbacks though. Other drawbacks is it take practically forever to turn on and it doesn't have a very long battery life.

I have an ancient laptop that has seen better days, must invest in a new one shortly. I don't need one with a lot of bells and whistles, considering I only use mine for MS office (mainly Word) and the Internet. I'm very fortunate to have access to my alma mater's computer lab where I can use software I don't often use like Photoshop or scan photos.

Anyway, onto another topic. It looks like I'll be starting a new project later this month helping with a major league organizational project. Certain particulars are being finalized before I start my month long training. This project should last several months.

However, I am looking for better employment and putting out my feelers and connecting with my networks.

9 hours ago, Droogie said:

Is anyone genuinely fluent in Spanish?  I need a small-ish favor.

sorry for the delay Droogie, I was so worried about TG's suspension I didn't check anything else. If you still need any help, here I am.

Edited by smoker
2 hours ago, smoker said:

sorry for the delay Droogie, I was so worried about TG's suspension I didn't check anything else. If you still need any help, here I am.

OH gosh, thank you!  And I forgot to recheck this thread!  But I figured it out; thanks anyway.  ?

• Love 1

I was having problems with a corrupted font on my computer and I couldn't find it until I ran CHKDSK (had to reboot and let it run for several hours). Still having some issues with my PC bc I need a new hard drive. Diagnostics say my hard drive is suffering from "old age". As in, that is literally what it says about the problem. My hard drive is senile!

On a side note, remember I vented awhile back about my friend dating the bitch who was abusive to him and the kids and her kid burned the house down? She was continuing to be a nasty useless piece of shit and my friend finally had enough of it. She was accusing him of cheating on her with other girls constantly (nevermind that the bitch quit her job and spent her entire last paycheck at a strip club and then kept going on and on about the hot men at the strip club in front of him-- but if he even said a girl was cute she would flip her shit). An update on them: the 3-year-old (who just turned 4) has had constant respiratory problems since the fire. I also found out that her stupid bitch mother didn't actually get her out of the house. As soon as my friend got the window out of the way, bitch climbed out and left her child in the burning house. My friend had to reach in and get her out. I might have mentioned that the boy (who is now 7) has been diagnosed with autism and bipolar disorder. The good news is my friend FINALLY dumped the bitch! He's already got a new girlfriend-- which, we give him sideeye for since it's too soon and he barely knows the girl and she seems a bit melodramatic. At least the new girl is really good and attentive with her kids, can have an intelligent conversation, and knows how to interact with other people. With the bitch out of the picture, my friend is going to see if there is any way he can rebuild his house so he can move back in. It's pretty much unanimous that everyone is happy that my friend finally dumped the bitch. In some ways I feel bad for her bc she's still a human being and she doesn't know what she's going to do without him to support her lazy ass, but, she brought this on herself.

My power went out the other night so I ordered from Pizza Hut. My brother took my order and put it in the system. He added some notes:

tumblr_obzknuzi6n1qhfuqwo2_r1_540.png

I have a game when I order online. I always order as a new customer and give some random weird name. Like one time I was Chari Zard, another time I was Zoid Berg, and some names it censored and just put "customer". LOL. They start taking bets on whether or not it was me who placed the order when a strange name comes in.

• Love 3
On 8/16/2016 at 11:16 PM, zannej said:

My power went out the other night so I ordered from Pizza Hut. My brother took my order and put it in the system. He added some notes:

tumblr_obzknuzi6n1qhfuqwo2_r1_540.png

I have a game when I order online. I always order as a new customer and give some random weird name. Like one time I was Chari Zard, another time I was Zoid Berg, and some names it censored and just put "customer". LOL. They start taking bets on whether or not it was me who placed the order when a strange name comes in.

Somehow this receipt seems more appropriate for Papa John's.

• Love 2

Okay, I finally have some good news. Someone affiliated with a Wisconsin publisher just emailed me asking me I'd like to review a book about the Outlaws Motorcycle Club here in Wisconsin. I should receive the book within a few weeks.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 4
Just now, ReidFan said:

the Outlaws!

wear a disguise, Booky :) you don't wanna piss off that  crowd   :)

Yep, kind of ironic how one of the most piss poor eps of CM is connected to something pretty positive in my universe.

But what disguise should I wear?

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:52 PM, ReidFan said:

not black leather anyway..........

I'm more a black cashmere kind of girl.

But I do have to admit to my "Born to Be Mild" tramp stamp.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 1

Please excuse my venting... Some of you may remember about my friend who had the house fire because his bitch girlfriend wasn't watching the kid. I found out the other day that when my friend tore the window off for her to get out, she didn't even get her 3-year-old out of the house. She jumped out and left the kid and my friend had to climb up and rescue the child.

Since that time, the dumb twunt quit her job, spent her entire last paycheck at a strip club, and has done absolutely nothing around the house but bitch and accuse my friend of cheating on her (nevermind that she is the one who cheated on him in the past and he's never cheated on her) and was treating him like shit. So, he finally decided to kick her to the curb. The daughter, who just turned 4, is still having respiratory problems from the fire and has been staying with my friend's grandparents. For several days the twunt kept coming by and telling my friend "You're going to take me back!" and he told her "Not a chance in hell." When she found out that he's already moved on and found a new girlfriend, she then threatened to call DCFS to make false allegations against the girl to get her kids taken away.

The twunt moved in to a place that has a black mold infestation that she deemed unfit for her son (who is her favorite, but she still abuses/neglects him) to live in so the son is staying with another relative-- but because she wants to hurt my friend, she went to his grandparents' house (while my friend was at work) and threatened to call the cops if they didn't let her take the daughter and took her back to the place with black mold. She then told my friend that he would never see his daughter again. Apparently, for some unknown reason, my friend's name was not put on the birth certificate and the only way he can prove that he is the father is if he gets a DNA test and/or the twunt applies for child support. I'm worried that the child may suffer irreparable harm from black mold (and/or the mother's abuse and neglect). When my friend was still in a neck brace and cast and couldn't feed himself, the twunt got mad at him and refused to feed him AND the daughter (because she knew him going without food wasn't enough to upset him too much and she wanted to use their daughter to hurt him).

I'm worried that she may harm the daughter to get at my friend.

14 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

:-(  not a police matter? This sounds just awful!

on on the bright side I have happily learned a new word today!!!

Unfortunately, it is a civil matter and would require a lawyer and/or intervention from DCFS. I'm really hoping that my friend doesn't procrastinate. I know he can't afford a lawyer, but I'm hoping he can find someone who will do pro bono work or at least appeal to DCFS to intervene for the safety of the daughter.

How is child abuse and neglect not a criminal matter?

At the very least, your friend should keep documentation and have a file open at the police department. Someone I used to work with did that for her on-again-off-again boyfriend. Any time he'd lose his temper and send threatening texts, or anything like that, she'd just go to the police department and have them add it to the file. He has never really done anything illegal yet, but if anything happens to her, they'll have plenty of evidence.

• Love 1
On 8/25/2016 at 7:04 PM, secnarf said:

How is child abuse and neglect not a criminal matter?

At the very least, your friend should keep documentation and have a file open at the police department. Someone I used to work with did that for her on-again-off-again boyfriend. Any time he'd lose his temper and send threatening texts, or anything like that, she'd just go to the police department and have them add it to the file. He has never really done anything illegal yet, but if anything happens to her, they'll have plenty of evidence.

Because DCFS where I live absolutely sucks. I called them on this abusive bitch numerous times and they don't care if she beats her kids so long as there are no visible marks. They don't do anything about mental abuse since it doesn't leave physical marks. They only seem to care if the abuse is severe enough to leave marks and/or sexual. This is a really assbackwards place. They still have corporal punishment in school and the schools have liability immunity-- meaning that even if they do actual physical damage (bruises, broken bones etc) they are immune from prosecution and civil lawsuits. Whenever someone sues, it always gets thrown out under the immunity clause. People around here think it is their "God given right to beat (their) kids". There was a guy who was beating his wife and her kids for years. Cops got called numerous times. DCFS did nothing. Guy raped a few kids and then they finally threw his ass in jail.

My friend would have to prove that there is a danger to his child and get someone to actually go check-- and getting someone to check is not easy bc people around here don't give a fuck. There is also a problem since there is no court-ordered custody agreement.

On 8/25/2016 at 7:28 PM, Franky said:

All it would take is one phone call to the cops. They have to investigate. Then it's a case. 

I wish that were true. The cops around here don't really do much. They will respond to car accidents, but not do much about robberies, break-ins, etc. They really don't seem to care. Most of them are morbidly obese and hate having to get out of their cars. Basically, they like to try to bust people selling drugs (at night) and harass black people by pulling them over for no reason. That said, I've tried to get my friend to see if some of the cops who like him can do something. He's made a few friends in the police force, but I don't know how much they can do. I've been trying to stress to him just how bad black mold is and how dangerous it is to his kid, but he doesn't seem to get it. He seems to think he can just wait until his ex formally files for child support-- but she has no income so she doesn't have $ to do that and he won't give her any money. I'm beyond frustrated about this.

Zannej, this twunt sounds absolutely horrible. Too bad the DCFS in your community is so bad or lazy or something. Your friend's ex's children deserve so much better than this horrid female as their mother. Abuse isn't just physical and leaves bruises and blood that can be seen. Abuse can also be mental and emotional, which will leave scars on these poor children well into adulthood. I hope these children have someone in their corner willing to stand up and give them all the love, support and compassion they so richly deserve. I thank you for doing your part, Zannej. It really does take a village to raise a child.

• Love 2

Glad the week-end is here and I finally have a chance to relax. We started on a new project at work, one that entails a huge buyout transition of various products and services. I, along with five other employees, are currently in a nearly month long training program, which includes learning new procedures, product lines, rules and regulations, software systems, etc. Yikes! I'm learning a lot but by the end of the day I am beat.

And I'm sure many of you heard of the horrific murder of the two nuns in Mississippi. One of the nuns was from Wisconsin and a member of the order that founded my alma mater, Alverno College, here in Milwaukee (my mom is also a grad). Our hearts are heavy with grief.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/us/2-nuns-are-killed-in-mississippi-the-sweetest-people-to-ever-draw-a-breath.html?_r=0

• Love 1

The very first thing he has to do is to claim or prove paternity.  With that, he'll have a right to speak to his daughter's doctor, who might be able to help him make a case about her health.  For something like that, child welfare is more likely to listen to a professional, who is a mandated reporter, than to a parent or a neighbor.  For abuse, they may pay attention to a witness, but for health- or education- related things, it's more impactful to have the report come from a professional.  Emotional abuse is an actual entity, but much harder to prove, and usually also requires a professional opinion.  It's not often the thing that gets a case opened, but it serves as supportive evidence in court.

• Love 2

Thanks guys. From what I understand, it will cost $300 to $500 to get a paternity test (unless he can find some group that does it for free). He said that the twunt is using their child like a weapon. Was saying he could see the child if they met up and rather than just let him spend time with the kid, she stuck around and trash-talked his new girlfriend. They got into a shouting match in front of the kids and the new got upset because she doesn't believe in shouting in front of children. Anyway, the twunt kept harassing them so now he had to get a temporary restraining order. Now she's trying to get me involved. She called to say she has his favorite dog (we suspect she stole the dog while he was at work) and doesn't want to give the dog back to him, but wanted me to take the dog to care take care of. The dog is an absolute sweetheart, but I have 5 dogs already and two of them have medical issues that require a lot of care. Plus, my friend wants his dog.

I made arrangements to go pick the dog up tomorrow and bring her to my friend or foster her until he can take her back. Right now he's busy taking care of his ex's dogs and is having problems with space. He can't spend as much time with them since he works full time.

Zannej, can we please retire the term "twunt"? I know the person in question is probably deserving of a derisive name, but inventing a misogynist slur out of two other misogynist slurs only makes other people echo it like 6 year olds. It's offensive to me, and I can just hear it being picked up and spreading like wildfire so that everyone who doesn't like something a woman has done will call her that. If you think I'm being "politically correct" go ahead. I just think we're better when we don't invent nasty names to call people, and actually do something.

• Love 4
On 8/28/2016 at 8:20 AM, normasm said:

Zannej, can we please retire the term "twunt"? I know the person in question is probably deserving of a derisive name, but inventing a misogynist slur out of two other misogynist slurs only makes other people echo it like 6 year olds. It's offensive to me, and I can just hear it being picked up and spreading like wildfire so that everyone who doesn't like something a woman has done will call her that. If you think I'm being "politically correct" go ahead. I just think we're better when we don't invent nasty names to call people, and actually do something.

I agree even though I used it in my response. We should find a term or come up with one that doesn't malign a woman's body part (and women as a whole) and one that calls out both men and women who are truly detestable in action, word and deed. My personal term would be Trump, but that is way too political, and we should probably be apolitical here.

Maybe in this corner of our world we should call these people.....

UNSUBS!

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 1

Sometimes, if you just click back into the reply box, it reappears.  And sometimes, it doesn't.  Like this afternoon, when I lost all my comments on a grant application.  Argh!

• Love 1
15 hours ago, JMO said:

Sometimes, if you just click back into the reply box, it reappears.  And sometimes, it doesn't.  Like this afternoon, when I lost all my comments on a grant application.  Argh!

I feel for you. I once lost a folder for my book blog in some type of computer glitch, and nearly had a meltdown. 

RE: the pumpkin pie/pumpkin spice everything:

anyone wanting the recipe, just ask, I will PM it to you  but you have to promise to use the ingredients as listed :)

OMG, pumpkin spice toilet paper? really?!

and hubby has just requested my best in the world butter tarts too. (also made with secret Canadian ingredient) he went out for lunch with a colleague the other day and they stopped off for butter tarts from some bakery. And hubby gave it the big raspberry and thumbs down, says mine are way better. (I don't even LIKE them, too sweet for me.) So, I'm off to the grocery store for ingredients. 

(and back in the Spencer thread, I have a couple more Matthew & fall colours photos to share later)

11 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

RE: the pumpkin pie/pumpkin spice everything:

anyone wanting the recipe, just ask, I will PM it to you  but you have to promise to use the ingredients as listed :)

OMG, pumpkin spice toilet paper? really?!

and hubby has just requested my best in the world butter tarts too. (also made with secret Canadian ingredient) he went out for lunch with a colleague the other day and they stopped off for butter tarts from some bakery. And hubby gave it the big raspberry and thumbs down, says mine are way better. (I don't even LIKE them, too sweet for me.) So, I'm off to the grocery store for ingredients. 

(and back in the Spencer thread, I have a couple more Matthew & fall colours photos to share later)

My friend Rian said this recipe for pumpkin spice cornbread if you are interested.
http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/09/pumpkin-cornbread/

And I just found a recipe for cinnamon sugar cookies I will try at a later date.

Squee!

• Love 1

LOL. No, Booky, NO.. *enough* with the pumpkin spice *everything* LOL  pumpkin spice deodorant, pumpkin spice toothpaste, pumpkin spice spaghetti sauce.  my son just complained his employer was thinking about a pumpkin spice poutine. lord have  mercy *massive eye roll*

ixnay on the umpkinpay icespay :)

• Love 2

So it IS true then -- we will pumpkin spice anything!  I can't even imagine a pumpkin spice cornbread.  I'll try anything once but I can't see it standing up to soup beans (country girl here) or any of the things I generally make when I make cornbread (I do love my cornbread recipe). 

• Love 1

Random pumpkin rumination:

Cornbread with collard greens! And, I don't like sweet cornbread but pumpkin cornbread actually sounds good.

We put canned pumpkin (not pie filling) in our dog's food, for fiber and vitamins.

I love the pumpkin spice everything guinea pigs from last year. Funny!