Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Behavioral Gabbing Unit

• Start Topic

Thought I'd have a relaxing week-end but nope, busy, busy, busy.

I did discover a new thrift store, bought some cute shoes for fall, bought an old-school camera case that I'm now using as a purse, a like-brand new chambray shirt, several vintage silk men's ties I will fashion into belts with some needle and thread, and few other goodies.

I also decided to take a look at a new market that opened up not far from me. Wow! I was like a kid in a candy store. I thought I'd spend around twenty bucks but spent around fifty. I also discovered there is a thing called pumpkin spice cheddar cheese spread-only in Wisconsin.

Did anyone watch the Emmy's last night? The In Memoriam part feature Anton (sniff).

• Love 1

wheee! the first pie pumpkins arrived today (I work at a grocery store) Reasonably priced too, I took 4 home with me to convert into pumpkin puree for pie and dog biscuits tomorrow. Or maybe Wednesday. Dog is excited, he knows what pumpkin means in this house :)

• Love 4
1 minute ago, ReidFan said:

wheee! the first pie pumpkins arrived today (I work at a grocery store) Reasonably priced too, I took 4 home with me to convert into pumpkin puree for pie and dog biscuits tomorrow. Or maybe Wednesday. Dog is excited, he knows what pumpkin means in this house :)

Got some goat cheese for a steal yesterday, going to use it to make some goat cheese chip dip.

• Love 1

I'm feeling smug - 7 jars of crab apple and chilli jelly and 8 jars of crab apple and mint jelly done and labelled. This weekend I'm trying crab apple and rosemary jelly. People know I like making preserves and keep bringing me apples and berries! I love autumn!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

I'm feeling smug - 7 jars of crab apple and chilli jelly and 8 jars of crab apple and mint jelly done and labelled. This weekend I'm trying crab apple and rosemary jelly. People know I like making preserves and keep bringing me apples and berries! I love autumn!

Hmm..sounds interesting. Never had it :)

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

7 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

Isn't it the best? Can't wait for it to get cooler so I can start baking. 

Pretty much having all home-cooked meals this week, no take-out!

We seriously need to start a Meals Up in Thirty thread. I want your recipes!

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 2

I tried to take a photo of my apple and mint jelly but my phone and laptop aren't talking at the moment! However, my jelly came out looking just like this:=

56AxkfR.jpg

Lovely with cheese - or cold meats if you are a flesh eater. Or just on toast or muffins. And the crab apples are from the hedgerows - so free food!

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

I tried to take a photo of my apple and mint jelly but my phone and laptop aren't talking at the moment! However, my jelly came out looking just like this:=

56AxkfR.jpg

Lovely with cheese - or cold meats if you are a flesh eater. Or just on toast or muffins. And the crab apples are from the hedgerows - so free food!

Would be lovely with the goat cheese I bought.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

@secnarf- there is "egalitarianism" and "humanism" that get used as "alternate" terms to feminism, and I've seen "meninism" used too. Those who actually do advocate for men's rights do tend to call themselves simply "men's rights advocates" or MRAs. I'm not sure if that helps.

Thank you! "Meninism" sounds about right :)

On 9/19/2016 at 5:32 PM, FanOfDorks said:

49f120803b7f19967e5cf6aecc9ec187.jpg

I want this or the pyjamas set.

I don't often wear T-shirts and I don't wear pajamas to bed. But I wouldn't mind this embroidered on a pillow or on a kitchen magnet.

Edited by Bookish Jen

Oh, yes. Everyone tells me that Asturias is beautiful! I've seen pictures and it looks like they're absolutely right. I haven't had the chance yet, but one day I am going to visit. Thank you!

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Lebanna said:

I also meant to ask - which accent do people do when they try to do yours? I'm guessing it's Galicia? But I suppose it could also be Cantabria? 

You got it right! it's Galicia. People always sound similar to them.

Edited by smoker
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, senin said:

Do  you really livein Asturias, smoker??

I'm feeling really envious now, it's sooooo beautiful. 

I spent some days there last summer and I liked it so much. I will be going back soon, there's so much to see and enjoy. 

And the food is sooo good!!

yes, it's a wonderful place to live, you can tell I'm biased  xD

• Love 1

It has almost anything you could ask for: beautiful scenery, mountains, sea, beautiful beaches, lakes, nice people, good food, nice buildings and towns to visit... 

Only problem is the weather... if  you want sun and dry weather, try somewhere else. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, senin said:

It has almost anything you could ask for: beautiful scenery, mountains, sea, beautiful beaches, lakes, nice people, good food, nice buildings and towns to visit... 

Only problem is the weather... if  you want sun and dry weather, try somewhere else. 

you're right, we are a bit unsetled in that front hehe

10 hours ago, zannej said:

I'm bored so I looked at the article about Angelina and Brad. It's a shame, but a link on the page led me to this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-baby-from-labryinth_us_5783f13fe4b01edea78f071b?

So, the guy who was the baby in Labyrinth grew up to be a puppeteer and makes goblins and other stuff. Pretty awesome.

Pretty cool. I'll have to tell my sister this. She just rented Labyrinth and watched it with her kids.

And Bowie was one sexy mofo!

• Love 1

I also geek out because the choreographer for the dance was Cheryl McFadden who later changed her name to Gates McFadden and played Dr. Beverly Crusher on ST:TNG. She also once had a very small role in The Muppets Take Manhattan.

I actually met the guy who did the CGI owl for Labyrinth. His daughter is one of my sister's best friends.

• Love 2

Remember the book I told you about several weeks ago about criminal biker culture here in Wisconsin? Here is my review:
https://thebookselfblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/24/book-review-you-gotta-be-dirty-the-outlaws-motorcycle-club-in-around-wisconsin-by-michael-grogan/

And several months ago I wrote an essay and sent it to a rather well-known publication. Well, it looks like I'm in the running of the many submissions this publication received to possibly get published. I was just emailed a copy of a contract I need to sign and send back promising my essay is original and not published already (other than a blog or very obscure publication, etc.) There is no guarantee my essay will actually get published, but it's pretty cool I got this far. I almost forgot I wrote the essay for I wrote it and sent it to the publisher back in June and now it's almost October. I'm going to read the contract over tonight and will probably sent it back on Monday. Wish me luck!!!!!

• Love 5

Everytime I think of Nirvana I think of the Weird Al versions of their songs. I particularly like the one that goes "What is this song all about, can't figure any lyrics out. How do the words, to it go. I wish you'd tell me. I dunno. Dunno Dunno Duuuunnooooo" LOL.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, zannej said:

Everytime I think of Nirvana I think of the Weird Al versions of their songs. I particularly like the one that goes "What is this song all about, can't figure any lyrics out. How do the words, to it go. I wish you'd tell me. I dunno. Dunno Dunno Duuuunnooooo" LOL.

huge Weird Al fan here.... I have five or six of his albums (yeah, vinyl and no turntable to play them on at the moment) but we've downloaded most of our favourites anyway. He did a couple of specials on the Canadian version of MTV called MuchMusic years ago and seems to have a special place in his heart for Toronto. One of hubby's coworkers did security for him on one trip to Toronto and says the guy is just the nicest person ever. He stayed in the same hotel the Backstreet Boys happened to be in......lol....and made all kinds of funny jokes with hubby's coworker about how much easier it was to wrangle him than it would be those five ----and the 'millions' of girls following them.

I love Weird Al, stuff like Yoda and Eat It from years ago to the more current ones like You're Pitiful and Canadian Idiot and how he can make his parodies speak to current issues is just awesome. 

• Love 4

Because I am Martha Stewart's bitch, I watched "Martha Bakes" last night on the PBS Create channel. She had a show devoted to pumpkin-related baked goods, so naturally I thought of all of you. This lead me to our idea of "Meals Up in Thirty," which made me think of our own little cookbook. The "Meals Up in Thirty" chapter would be devoted to main dishes, appetizers, sides, salads, breakfast/brunch dishes, soups and stews, and sandwiches. I thought our cookbook's baking session could be called the "BAU-Baking Analysis Unit." We could devote a chapter of several dishes you could make with your children called "Killing It in the Kitchen With Kids" (Hmm, how wholesome, Booky). We could also have a section on drinks, both non-alcoholic and alcoholic called "Name Your Poison." And each recipe could have a cute little story behind the story-why you like and make the dish (old family recipe, significant other's favorite, ethnic dish, etc). These little stories could be called, you guessed it, "Profiling the Palate."

Clearly, I need to get a life.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

Because I am Martha Stewart's bitch, I watched "Martha Bakes" last night on the PBS Create channel. She had a show devoted to pumpkin-related baked goods, so naturally I thought of all of you. This lead me to our idea of "Meals Up in Thirty," which made me think of our own little cookbook. The "Meals Up in Thirty" chapter would be devoted to main dishes, appetizers, sides, salads, breakfast/brunch dishes, soups and stews, and sandwiches. I thought our cookbook's baking session could be called the "BAU-Baking Analysis Unit." We could devote a chapter of several dishes you could make with your children called "Killing It in the Kitchen With Kids" (Hmm, how wholesome, Booky). We could also have a section on drinks, both non-alcoholic and alcoholic called "Name Your Poison." And each recipe could have a cute little story behind the story-why you like and make the dish (old family recipe, significant other's favorite, ethnic dish, etc). These little stories could be called, you guessed it, "Profiling the Palate."

Clearly, I need to get a life.

I hope you don't mind, but I thought we could devote a thread to this!

• Love 5

I am thrilled, needless to say. I thought I could also share some of my recipes homemade bath and beauty products. We could call it "Pretty Ricky Recipes for Your Gorgeous, Girlish Matters." 

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

I would totally buy that to go with my collection of unused cookbooks and get everyone in my family a copy for Christmas.

• Love 2

Because I know all of you have been waiting with bated breath here it is:

Sugar Mint Cookies

Ingredients

1 cup butter
½ cup of sugar
2 cups of flour
¼ tsp of salt
½ tsp peppermint extract
2 tbs crushed dry mint leaves or 4 tbs of crushed fresh mint leaves-you can also use Andes mint candies cut up into morsels
Additional sugar

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and ½ cup of sugar. Add the flour, salt, extract and mint and mix well. Chill in the fridge for about a half an hour or so. Set oven to 350 degrees.

After dough is chilled, form dough into 1 inch balls and roll in additional sugar. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press down with your thumb. Bake 12-15 minutes. Let cool on a rack once they are done.

Enjoy eating them the way Matthew enjoys directing, Halloween and mismatched socks!

Profiling the Palate
Finding this recipe was sweet serendipity. I don’t often read the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel but when I do I always read the Food section. I found this recipe and thought it would be a great addition to my baking repertoire, and it is. My friends and family love my sugar mint cookies and I often give these cookies as gifts. I also make them for potlucks, bake sales and cookie exchanges.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 2