Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

So, today finished up Garbage discography. Was more or less decent, whole lot better than most of the bands that I did a discography dive this year anyway. Probably, the penultimate album of theirs was the weakest, but still had some head-banging songs in it. Sorry, it appears that the one before that was the weakest. Still, fifth and sixth were the weakest.

Songs that stood out the most: Queer, Dog New Tricks, Sleep Together, Deadwood, Medication (Acoustic), Androgyny, Cup of Coffee, Why Do You Love Me, Blood for Poppies, Not Your Kind of People, Amends, Waiting for God, Flipping the Bird, Destroying Angels.

As always, subjective scores of each album:

1. Garbage (1995) [20th Anniversary Edition] - 7.5/10

2. Version 2.0 (1998) [20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition] - 7.7/10

3. Beautiful Garbage (2001) - 8.5/10

4. Bleed Like Me (2005) - 6.4/10

5. Not Your Kind of People (2012) [Deluxe Version] - 5.3/10

6. Strange Little Birds (2016) - 5.5/10

7. No Gods No Masters (2021) - 7.4/10

Average score: 6.9/10

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Listening to the late Vytautas Kernagis (singable poetry performer) discography. Has various genre songs (from folk to jazz). Currently on the third album 'Povo Link...' (Towards Being a Peacock). This was the most beautiful song in the entire album. Approximate lyrics:

Tree growing in the yard,
Bird up in a tree.
How beautiful it sings,
That Five-Lipped Bird.

One foot in Varėna,
Other in Klaipėda.
While cap somewhere
Lost up in the sky.

Maybe up in the sky,
Maybe down in the well.
Maybe here and there
As a birdie you live.

Oh, why is the day so white?
Oh, why is the night so cold?
Why should I be here -
Morning, day and night?

Let us hide in the bushes
And wait for the night.
Maybe we'll receive a message
From the moon and from the star.

Maybe up in the sky,
Maybe down in the well.
Maybe here and there
As a birdie you live.

Maybe up in the sky,
Maybe down in the well.
Maybe here and there
As a birdie you live.

If the crucian carp could walk,
He'd be a swell mister!
He'd knock at the window,
All yellow that he is.

"I got cold", – he'd say.
Such rain everywhere.
"Top of the day!" – he'd great,
Do you speak Lithuanian?

Maybe up in the sky,
Maybe down in the well.
Maybe here and there
As a birdie you live.

Maybe up in the sky,
Maybe down in the well.
Maybe here and there
As a birdie you live

Maybe up in the sky,
Maybe down in the well.
Maybe here and there
As a birdie you live, Hey!

P.S. Wow, after the new site's change, kinda hard to find old topics. Or is it just me?

• Like 2

Back in the day there was a station Kiss FM here that played old school r&b.  That's where I came across Alexander O'Neal.  One of my favorites.  I recall even one night they played all his songs for a good hour.  

But yeah I recall a family gathering in Jan 2011 that I didnt care for and went home and listened to his music to chill.  Same deal yesterday.  Not the best family outing.  Put on Alexander to chill

• Hugs 1
On 12/21/2022 at 5:11 PM, Rushmoras said:

Listening to the late Vytautas Kernagis (singable poetry performer) discography. Has various genre songs (from folk to jazz). Currently on the third album 'Povo Link...' (Towards Being a Peacock). This was the most beautiful song in the entire album. Approximate lyrics:

P.S. Wow, after the new site's change, kinda hard to find old topics. Or is it just me?

Maybe not hard to find, but it takes me some time to get used to.

Also, that was a nice song. Listening to something I can't understand at all reminds me of my love for Natalia Oreiro from years and years ago. I don't understand a word, but I swear I knew some songs by heart (although I'm sure that every Spanish speaker would be horrified by my pronunciation).

Many songs still hold up, IMO.

Edited by JustHereForFood
  • Like 1
On 1/1/2023 at 4:15 PM, BlueSkies said:

Back in the day there was a station Kiss FM here that played old school r&b.  That's where I came across Alexander O'Neal.  One of my favorites.  I recall even one night they played all his songs for a good hour.  

I don't think I knew who he was before seeing him on Celebrity Big Brother in the UK. I used to be part of a group online who'd watch it live in particular ways or later on and chat in a free chatroom using Chatango I think it was.

20 hours ago, Jaded said:

I don't think I knew who he was before seeing him on Celebrity Big Brother in the UK. I used to be part of a group online who'd watch it live in particular ways or later on and chat in a free chatroom using Chatango I think it was.

I never watched it but I read he got thrown off it lol.   

I cant comment on that but still love his voice/music 

Edited by BlueSkies

So, finally, ended Rolling Stones discog. And it made me realize that I freaking hate straight up blues. So many songs I fast-forwarded in their catalogue, because of the genre. Its... wow...

As always, subjective assessment of each album:

1. The Rolling Stones (1964) - 4,2/10 (Can I Get a Witness; Walk the Dog)

2. 12 X 5 (1964) - 6.7/10 (Time is on My Side; It's All Over Now; Congratulations; If You Need Me; Suzie Q)

3. The Rolling Stones, Now! (1965) - 7.5/10 (Heart of Stone; Down the Road Apiece; Off the Hook; Little Red Rose; Surprise, Surprise)

4. Out of Our Heads (1965) - 6.7/10 (The Last Time; Good Times; (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction; Cry To Me; Play with Fire; The Spider and the Fly; One More Try)

5. December's Children (And Everbody's) (1965) - 5.0/10 (The Singer Not The Song; I'm Free; Gotta Getaway)

6. Aftermath (1966) - 6.4/10 (Paint It Black; Under My Thumb; I'm Waiting)

7. Between the Buttons (1967) - 6.7/10 (Let's Spend The Night Together; Ruby Tuesday; My Obsession; Complicated)

8. Their Satanic Majesties Request (50th Anniversary Special Edition) (1967) - 5.0/10 (2000 Man; She's A Rainbow; On With the Show)

9. Beggars Banquet (50th Anniversary Special Edition) (1968) - 7.0/10 (Sympathy for the Devil; Street Fighting Man; Stray Cat Blues; Factory Girl; Salt of the Earth)

10. Let it Bleed (50th Anniversary Special Edition) (1969) - 6.7/10 (Give Me Shelter; Midnight Rambler; Monkey Man; You Can't Always Get What You Want)

11. Sticky Fingers (1971) - 7.0/10 (Sway, Bitch, I Got The Blues; Sister Morphine; Moonlight Mile)

12. Exile On Main Street (2010 Remaster) (1972) - 6.7/10 (Shake Your Hips; Tumbling Dice; Torn and Frayed; Loving Cup; Happy; All Down the Line; Stop Breaking Down; Shine A Light; Soul Survivors)

13. Goats Head Soup (2009 Remaster) (1973) - 8.0/10 (Dancing With Mr. D; Coming Down Again; Angie; Can You Hear the Music)

14. It's Only Rock N' Roll (1974) - 5.0/10 (Luxury; If You Really Want To Be My Friend; Fingerprint Style)

15. Black And Blue (1976) - 6.2/10 (Hand of Faith; Memory Motel; Fool to Cry; Crazy Mama)

16. Some Girls (1978) - 5.0/10 (Miss You; Before they Make Me Run; Beast of Burden)

17. Emotional Rescue (1980) - 6.0/10 (Send It To Me; Indian Girl; Where The Boys Go; Down in the Hole; She's So Cold)

18. Tattoo You (2009 Remaster) (1981) - 5.5/10 (Start Me Up; Worried About You; Tops; Waiting On A Friend)

19. Undercover (1983) - 5.0/10 (Too Much Blood; Too Tough; It Must Be Hell)

20. Dirty Work (1986) - 6.4/10 (One Hit (To the Body); Harlem Shuffle; Winning Ugly; Back to Zero; Sleep Tonight)

21. Steel Wheels (1989) - 6.7/10 (Terrifying; Hearts for Sale; Blinded By Love; Rock And A Hard Place; Almost hear you sigh; Continental Drift)

22. Voodoo Lounge (2009 Remaster) (1994) - 7.3/10 (Love is strong; Out of tears; Brand new car; Sweethearts together; Blinded by rainbows; Baby break it down)

23. Bridges to Babylon (1997) - 6.9/10 (Anybody seen my baby?; Already over me; Gunface; Always suffering; Too tight)

24. A Bigger Bang (2009 Remaster) (2005) - 6.9/10 (It wont take long; Rain fall down; Streets of love; Biggest mistake; Laugh, I nearly died; Sweet neo con)

25. Blue And Loansome (2016) - 4.2/10 (Blue and loansome; Everybody knows about my good thing; Hate to see you go)

• Like 1

I love this song and video. Near the end of the interview below the music video Freddie mentions that" he shall be doing it even when he's in a wheelchair." to the interviewer in regards to the band/music. I got a twinge of sadness right after I heard him say it.

• Like 4

On 1/1/2023 at 6:39 PM, JustHereForFood said:

Maybe not hard to find, but it takes me some time to get used to.

Also, that was a nice song. Listening to something I can't understand at all reminds me of my love for Natalia Oreiro from years and years ago. I don't understand a word, but I swear I knew some songs by heart (although I'm sure that every Spanish speaker would be horrified by my pronunciation).

Many songs still hold up, IMO.

I didn't even know this thread existed. I'm always sharing music on another forum. I just found this under pop culture. 

• Like 3
On 1/15/2023 at 3:08 AM, Annber03 said:

I loved watching that video came out and would dance around my Nana's den when it would. It made me want to take jazz lessons then her other video for "Opposites Attract" made me want to take tap. It also checked my love of felines box.

I've always regretted not going with jazz because I probably would have stuck with it. I loved the way tap shoes sounded when people danced in them which was a silly kid thought up reason for wanting to go with tap over jazz. Those boring beginner tap classes for kids my age at the time bored me a lot. I was also frustrate because at every class it was the same boring beginner steps without really progressing to anything even a little bit harder. I remember being in those classes hearing the Fine Young Cannibals song "She Drives Me Crazy" blasting from the Jazz class next-door wishing I was there instead. 

• Like 2