Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

After posting that CAKE video in the Unpopular Music Opinions thread I've been watching a few more that I hadn't seen in a looooooong time. I don't remember this one having a video made for it though.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I love "Never There". I remember that song being on one of the NOW compilations and getting a lot of radio play back in the day, and I always liked hearing that song :D. 

Such an interesting cover of "I Will Survive", too XD. 

11 hours ago, Jaded said:

After posting that CAKE video in the Unpopular Music Opinions thread I've been watching a few more that I hadn't seen in a looooooong time. I don't remember this one having a video made for it though.

Ah, I remember this video, fun to see it again. I love everyone's reactions to the song. I'm the people bopping along :p. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

And with Compton (2015), I have ended Dr. Dre's discography. Um, I am still of the opinion that the album 2001, which was released way back in 1999, was his best overall. Some good collaborations in the end in the album "Compton" (2015), but, that's just the thing, overall, I find Dre to be average. Where he shines is in the collaborations (even in 2001 album his best songs were collabs). On his own, forgetful.

As always, subjective assessment:

The Chronic (1992) - 5/10
2001 (1999) - 6.1/10
Dr. Dre & Friends (2003) - 5.9/10
Compton (2015) - 6.9/10

Next on, will be probably my own country's artists repertoire. It's time to listen to Aistė Smilgevičiūtė ir grupė Skylė (Aiste Smilgeviciute and Band the Hole) newest album on Spotify, which is basically campfire songs (a drastic change from folk metal).

Started local folk rock/metal again, this time, decided to review the band called Žalvarinis (Made From Brass), and this is, um, real, at lest 19-20th century lyrics from rural folk songs wrapped up in a modern rock/metal format.

Still on my country's artists music. This time, Irena Starošaitė. I heard a couple of her songs many years back (she was kinda popular in 2000s), but never actually listened to her. First album, so far, chanson type music. Pretty good.

I've been on a Kyle Minogue listening spree this weekend since her new work of music just dropped here in the states:

And thinking about it.. her previous flashes of commercial success happened in important milestones in my life (a child in the late 80s and a college student in the early 00s).  My favs from each era..

and

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 9/23/2023 at 8:47 PM, BlueSkies said:

@Jaded

For obvious reasons this song makes me think of you :) 

I really liked that. I should try listening to her stuff again. Sing getting Spotify last year it's made doing things like that easier. 

5 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I've been on a Depeche Mode kick this weekend, well it started Friday. It's so funny sometimes to come back to this thread and see that people have posted songs like this one which is older that I recently listened to too.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I've been on a Depeche Mode kick this weekend, well it started Friday. It's so funny sometimes to come back to this thread and see that people have posted songs like this one which is older that I recently listened to too.

I like it when that happens, too :D. I pretty much just know a lot of Depeche Mode's bigger songs, but I do love all the ones I have heard. I really should delve deeper into their discography sometime. 

Also should give a listen to Kylie's new stuff, too, 'cause I like the few songs I know by her as well. I'll still happily dance around to "Can't Get You Out of My Head" whenever that comes on :D. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 9/25/2023 at 12:19 AM, Annber03 said:

Also should give a listen to Kylie's new stuff, too, 'cause I like the few songs I know by her as well. I'll still happily dance around to "Can't Get You Out of My Head" whenever that comes on :D. 

I think Kylie's current music is better than Madonna's, and I've been a Madonna fangirl since the '80s.  Kylie never really hit it big in the US, but her recent albums Golden and Disco were both fabulous. 

On 9/24/2023 at 6:35 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

I've been on a Kyle Minogue listening spree this weekend since her new work of music just dropped here in the states

Thank you, I didn't realize she had a new album out - I'm off to listen to Tension now!

• Like 1
On 9/30/2023 at 10:59 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I love that movie. I wish it had been more popular when it was released. It came out a weird time though and I've always wondered if things had been different if was an 80's movie instead.

• Applause 1
On 10/2/2023 at 9:54 PM, Jaded said:

I love that movie. I wish it had been more popular when it was released. It came out a weird time though and I've always wondered if things had been different if was an 80's movie instead.

Ditto.  Although I am older than Frank Whaley's character Jim in the movie and never left home 

I kind of got sad when I learned Jennifer didnt really like it.  I think she thought it played up her sex symbol kind of status then.  

• Like 1
On 10/4/2023 at 8:18 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I never saw that movie either.Being a John Hughes movie and having John Candy in it,I don't know how I missed it.

I think it was like one of his last films he wrote.  It was a little before my time but I'm pretty sure it didnt gather much publicity when it came out.  Almost of a feeling like the era of his films was over.

John only had a cameo in it 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, Jaded said:

Me too....

This song always makes me feel a little better when I need it.

tbh honest that song wasn't really my thing.....   but whatever helps or can make you feel better in this crazy world we live in I am all for it!