Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

Wow, thanks for the info. I have never been in anything resembling fandom for music stars, I just enjoy their work. But I guess it's not so surprising that some fandoms can get just as toxic as fandoms for other media. Sad, but not surprising.

Yeah.  Had its benefits though.  I met one of my best friends on the Madonna site.  She has been a fan of her since 1983 and has every album, been to multiple concerts, and even met her.  She's sent me some pictures of her poster collection of her as well.

But even that my friend the big Madonna fan joined a Lady Gaga fan group or something like that and they turned their back on her when they saw how big a Madonna fan she was.  It's all very petty.  And one fan group is not any better than the other really.

Keeping a clear had about it though the fan sites can be enjoyable 

• Useful 1

When I was little Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' video for "Don't Come Around Here No More" scared the bejesus out of me especially with the cake cannibalism scenes near the end.  Then in the early 90's "Mary Jane's Last Dance" came out and it's still one of my favorite music videos. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

Then in the early 90's "Mary Jane's Last Dance" came out and it's still one of my favorite music videos.

What an appropriate song for the 20th of April! Or is that a coincidence?

I love this sing but Bryan don't.  Let me Take You Dancing from 1979.  Bryan was just 19 and got angry his voice was sped up on the track.  I found it see how long it lasts before it gets taken down

Wish Bryan would embrace it more.  its my fave song of his 

Gods, Dolores O’Riordan had a gorgeous voice.  This is the Bad Wolves cover of "Zombie" she was set to record on at the time of her death:

Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We? got played over and over in my apartment, and then No Need to Argue came out and we played the hell out of that, too.

The (utterly fantastic) series Derry Girls used "Dreams" to great effect.  (And creator Lisa McGee states "Ode to My Family" as her favorite Cranberries song.)

• Like 4

So, completed CCR discog. Thought that I'd like them more, but apart of their singles that are well known (like Susie Q, Proud Mary, Fortunate Son, Bad Moon Rising etc.), there was nothing much that I liked in their albums. Good thing that most of their songs were under three minutes.

As always, subjective assessment of each album:

1. Creedance Clearwater Revival (1968) - 5/10 [Best song Walk on the Water]

2. Bayou Country (1969) - 5.8/10 [Best song Proud Mary]

3. Green River Remastered (1969) - 4.4/10 [Best songs Wrote a Song for Everyone; Bad Moon Rising]

4. Willy and the Poor Boys (1969) - 5/10 [Best song Effigy]

5. Cosmo's Factory (1970) - 5.5/10 [Best songs Run Through the Jungle; I Heard it Through the Grapevine]

6. Pendulum (1970) - 5/10 [Best songs Have You Every Seen the Rain; It's Just A Thought]

7. Mardi Gras (1972) - 5/10 [Best songs What Are You Gonna Do; Sail Away; Sweet Hitchhiker]

• Like 2

I thought I heard all Madonna songs from the 80's and 90s but this one played on 90s on 9 today.

I know her behavior can be a bit cringy these days but I'm reminded looking at that pic and hearing her bedroom like voice why I always think of her as a sex goddess.

I liked the song though.  Actually her voice sounded a little like Cher there imo 

• Love 1
On 3/12/2023 at 3:47 PM, BlueSkies said:

I thought I heard all Madonna songs from the 80's and 90s but this one played on 90s on 9 today.

I liked the song though.  Actually her voice sounded a little like Cher there imo 

I remember "Rescue Me" because it was on her "Immaculate Collection" album late 90' from the early 90's and was on the radio a lot when it originally came out. My father (I'll be nice and call him that here) had given me a Sony CD player as one of the gifts he got me for Xmas of 91' I think it was. He and my Mom were divorced so it was kind of a gift to out show her in a way. The CD's he gave me with it were in the Christian music genre like Petra and Whiteheart not knowing what I really listened to at home.....😄

CD's were still pretty expensive back then and the local library had a lot of current music of the time available to check out. When my Mom and I would go a few times a month when it was time to return stuff she'd recheck out stuff for me then I'd check it out again. I think they had a policy that things could only be checked out so many times in a row. Madonna's "Immaculate Collection" CD was one we did that with for a quite awhile. My Mom and Nana never really cared what I listened to. I probably did start listening to some stuff too early but it never influenced me in a bad way. I would listen to that CD a lot though over the years because all the songs on it were ones I liked. The library stuff for music kind of stopped when I discovered that Columbia House and BMG would send out stuff if you sent one of their mailings back to them with the penny they'd include. They were sending those offers to a kid so I might have taken them up on it more than once....🤷‍♀️

One Madonna song that's been stuck in my head for a few days is this one.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 3

I've never seen the Slam Dunk anime nor am I interested in sports anime, but this opening theme song from the classic '90s show is just emotional and heart-pounding enough that makes me wanna watch it. Even though I understand none of its Japanese lyrics, I still feel like there's this heartfelt and endearing feeling to the music, a kind of indescribable feel-good wholesomeness that's often attributed to those mawkish '90s shounen/shoujo anime where the characters would overcome whatever hardships that life throws at them.

Edited by MagnusHex
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, Jaded said:

I remember "Rescue Me" because it was on her "Immaculate Collection" album late 90' from the early 90's and was on the radio a lot when it originally came out. My father (I'll be nice and call him that here) had given me a Sony CD player as one of the gifts he got me for Xmas of 91' I think it was. He and my Mom were divorced so it was kind of a gift to out show her in a way. The CD's he gave me with it were in the Christian music genre like Petra and Whiteheart not knowing what I really listened to at home.....😄

CD's were still pretty expensive back then and the local library had a lot of current music of the time available to check out. When my Mom and I would go a few times a month when it was time to return stuff she'd recheck out stuff for me then I'd check it out again. I think they had a policy that things could only be checked out so many times in a row. Madonna's "Immaculate Collection" CD was one we did that with for a quite awhile. My Mom and Nana never really cared what I listened to. I probably did start listening to some stuff too early but it never influenced me in a bad way. I would listen to that CD a lot though over the years because all the songs on it were ones I liked. The library stuff for music kind of stopped when I discovered that Columbia House and BMG would send out stuff if you sent one of their mailings back to them with the penny they'd include. They were sending those offers to a kid so I might have taken them up on it more than once....🤷‍♀️

One Madonna song that's been stuck in my head for a few days is this one.

Yeah in the early 90s I did that with Ernest Scared Stupid at the local library.  Loved that movie lol.  

I of course knew who Madonna was back then but it wasn't until 1998 when Ray of Light came out I got interested in her.  Sometime in early 1998 MTV dedicated a whole weekend to her: music videos, old interviews, old concert shows, and what not.  All hosted by Kurt Loder.  It didn't take me go out and buy her albums then (though I had no car at that age) but it did make me think she was real cool.

I never actually listened to the Immaculate Collection so that makes sense.  I guess I had figured over time most songs on it I heard  

• Like 1
On 3/16/2023 at 9:24 AM, Rushmoras said:

I love P!nk, and was really happy when she came out with that song.  It's a shame how few protest songs there are compared to their heyday.

• Like 3

This one too. I had forgotten it was a song they did though. Oops. After having not watched these videos in years I'm just now noticing how cute their drummer was....👀

• Like 1

Well, finished up P!nk discography. Got to say that, despite some of the album ratings that I've given, her music is in the list of artists that I actually liked since starting this discog nonsense lol.

Subjective assessment:

1. Can't Take Me Home Expanded Edition (2000) - 4.7/10

2. M!ssundaztood Expanded Edition (2001) - 5.3/10

3. Try This (2003) - 4.7/10

4. I'm Not Dead (2006) - 6.9/10

5. Funhouse Expanded Edition (2008) - 7.1/10

6. The Truth About Love (2012) - 7.1/10

7. Beautiful Trauma (2017) - 5.4/10

8. Hurts 2B Human (2019) - 6.9/10

9. Trustfall (2023) - 6.2/10

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Like 1

I remember when I was in middle school our whole class had to sing this song.

While I can definitely appreciate the message of it more in today's world the song itself I dont care much for.  

• Like 1

I read a lot of negative comments on how The Real Adventures was far inferior to the original Jonny Quest, but that brilliant and heart-pounding theme song above was the only recollection I have of any JQ media. This intro had also done its job of making a Saturday morning cartoon look exciting for me, making me almost wanting to check out the show. Almost, if not for its reputation.

Still, what an amazingly badass intro for a cartoon. I really like how all the surrounding lines turn into a fingerprint at the end, which feels suitable since this is, presumably, a show with espionage and spy intrigue. Easily one of the best and most memorable cartoon intros I've ever seen.

• Like 1