Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

I highly recommend the Stuber movie. Seriously my love for Kumail Nanjiani knows no bounds. It's funny and smart it blows holes in buddy/cop plot cliches. The funniest line of the whole thing is at the end, no spoilers.

and I'm excited to go watch "The Art of Self Defense" which I also think will be off kilter and whacky.

So, I’d gotten annual leave approved about a month ago to take off work the day of my birthday.  No big plans or anything; I’m just drowning in use-or-lose leave, at this point a summer vacation is a dream which has dissolved into nothingness, and I’ve only had three days off work this year to date.

So of COURSE a co-worker has to fuck up their work assignment so egregiously they get pulled off the job, and a team of us get pulled in to try to clean up their mess and still make deadline.  Which means not only did my already-approved leave for Friday get cancelled - now i’m having to work through the weekend.

Happy fucking birthday to me.  😑

Habby Birday!

Petting dogs is going well, I natured yesterday, swimming in the pool and whatnot. Didn't even evaporate in the sun like usual! The dog has taken to knocking politely on the door at precisely 7 pm to come in and sniff around for snacks. This is the dog that absolutely won't come in for my friend even when there's a hurricane and she's bribing the dog with hamburger and other tasty treats. the dog now knocks for me and strolls in nonchalantly. and my annual lock myself out has already happened. except it was the garage door code not working. I had the correct code and just wasn't gonna open under any circumstances, luckily there's a side door that I unlocked but has many things stacked against it. she just didn't want the ladder to fall and hit her car so I'm opening the door, shoving golf clubs etc aside and hanging on to the ladder to not scratch the car. I do not get paid enough.

• LOL 2
On 7/20/2019 at 9:11 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Well, when you consider what else people are paying to see ("African Queen" "reinvention" starring Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt, anyone? 

Wat???

• Love 1
On 7/20/2019 at 9:11 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Well, when you consider what else people are paying to see ("African Queen" "reinvention" starring Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt, anyone?

BLASPHEMY!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I know. I'm sorry to have to share this sad, sad news. It seems Hollywood has a new edict, and that is to include that noted thespian, The Rockhead, in every upcoming movie.

The African Queen is one of my favorite movies - I even have the colourized version -  and this is, indeed, "blasphemy."

Anyone who will pay for this - I'm so sorry, Humphrey and Katharine - will no doubt flock to see "Ricky's Further Adventures" which by comparison is probably a cinematic triumph. 

The movie will be a period piece set during the Great Depression, and apparently takes inspiration from Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn’s The African Queen.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/dwayne-johnson/255863/dwayne-the-rock-johnson-upcoming-movies-list

My decision to never again set foot in a movie theater is a sound one, IMO.

• LOL 1
19 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I know. I'm sorry to have to share this sad, sad news. It seems Hollywood has a new edict, and that is to include that noted thespian, The Rockhead, in every upcoming movie.

The African Queen is one of my favorite movies - I even have the colourized version -  and this is, indeed, "blasphemy."

Anyone who will pay for this - I'm so sorry, Humphrey and Katharine - will no doubt flock to see "Ricky's Further Adventures" which by comparison is probably a cinematic triumph. 

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/dwayne-johnson/255863/dwayne-the-rock-johnson-upcoming-movies-list

My decision to never again set foot in a movie theater is a sound one, IMO.

The original African Queen was in color.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Gobi said:

The original African Queen was in color.

I never saw it in colour until I got the copy I have now. Or maybe I"m thinking of "Casablanca". My memory is unreliable at best. Whatever. Doesn't matter.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, peach said:

Ok, well, GRIMES in theaters doesn't sound so bad now.  

Everything truly is relative, isn't it? When you think about the Rockhead "reinventing" - via smirks and flexing - an iconic Humphrey Bogart role (and doing so shamelessly) the Grimes Chronicles don't sound nearly so bad. "Kathleen... or is it Katharine..?" Fuck you, Dwayne. I really shouldn't be so hard on him. He just wants the money and the stardom and probably never saw the original movie - "Where's the CGI? Where are the muscles? Look at my muscles!" Fuck you anyway.

2 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Even though it takes inspiration from the original, its still,

That's where I found it, but was too traumatized and revolted to post that vid. Oh, Mr. Allnutt. I weep.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I never saw it in colour until I got the copy I have now. Or maybe I"m thinking of "Casablanca". My memory is unreliable at best. Whatever. Doesn't matter.

They're remaking that with the Rock as Rick, Brie Larson as Ilsa, Mr. T as Sam, Jason Statham as Captain Renault, Pauly Shore as the Peter Lorre character, and Seth Rogan as the Sidney Greenstreet character.

• LOL 3
23 minutes ago, Gobi said:

They're remaking that with the Rock as Rick, Brie Larson as Ilsa, Mr. T as Sam, Jason Statham as Captain Renault, Pauly Shore as the Peter Lorre character, and Seth Rogan as the Sidney Greenstreet character.

"I'd pay a dollar for that!"

Not really.

• LOL 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Gobi said:

No room for Diesel? who's also appearing in Fast & Furious 84 with Statham and Dwayne

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

No room for Diesel? who's also in F&F 84 with Statham and Dwayne

He can play the German officer. They'll call him Von Diesel.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

So today I had to say goodbye to the bestest buddy I’ve ever had in my life.  The tumor they removed from my Boston’s neck 2-1/2 weeks ago turned out to be a malign lymphoma, and it came back out of nowhere with a vengeance; in the course of about 48 hours he went from just fine, to struggling for every breath.  God needs to spend some time in Hell himself for what He sent down on a poor defenseless little puppy who never wanted to do anything but love on his people and play with them.

But my Sammi is at rest now; sleep sweet, my little man.

Sammi_sleep.jpg.thumb.JPG.4530d46b5f767e9885dba1e94dbf1559.JPG

7 hours ago, Nashville said:

Sorry to hear that Nashville, one of the old AMC forum members lost hers a week ago to the big 'C', she sounded devastated. I heartily agree with the man himself spending awhile down south with Big Red, in my case if you substitute beloved Mother for beloved friend, my sentiments match. Hope your back with the good times soon.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Nashville said:

So sorry, Nashville, it's so hard to lose our furbabies.

Cancer is still a killer even though they have made great strides in prolonging life. I don't know if I've mentioned it in this thread but I have an incurable blood cancer called Waldenstrom Macroglobulinemia and have had to have chemo twice in the past 4 years and I fear the cancer is active once more. I'm scheduled for a PET scan on Tuesday and will know the results Wednesday. Of course, I'm hoping the symptoms I've seen will turn out to nothing. I probably shouldn't have said anything but I find the more I talk about it the better I can deal.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I probably shouldn't have said anything but I find the more I talk about it the better I can deal.

If we can talk about utter nonsense such as these TV shows, we can certainly talk about something important, especially if it helps, so fill your boots, there's always private messaging if that's better, with as many or as few people as you'd like.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 5

AngelKitty - I'm sure many of us have been touched by this dread illness in one way or another. Wishing you good results. Feel free to vent as you wish. I have found that being allowed to say whatever you like does ease the burden, even if only a little. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Nashville said:

Oh, hell. I'm so sorry, Nashville. 🙁

I hope that knowing your sweet Sammi had such a loving home, and the same home, for all these years and then a merciful release - which is our final act of kindness to our pets but is such torture to us- can comfort you a bit. I did animal rescue for many years and what Sammi had is something not too many pets get. 

• Love 2

I am so sorry to hear about that Nashville, short illness means you don't get much time to adjust to the notion but he got as many happy healthy days as possible. Truly sucky.

On 7/26/2019 at 8:47 AM, AngelKitty said:

I probably shouldn't have said anything but I find the more I talk about it the better I can deal.

Fire away, if it's helpful to talk about it with relative strangers, more power to you. I know it's much harder to talk to people about my sister, who know her or know me. It's too heavy. We care and we listen but I'm sure it's much harder for your family to hear.

As far as I know I'm a fairly decent person...I think I'm only an asshole to 1. And trust me, he started it. So my boss comes in this morning, pissy as usual and then he turns around and I swear I had that moment in the movies where it goes into super slo-mo like Jim Carrey in Ace Venture...oh sweet jesus my boss got stung by a bee right in the eye!!!!!!!!!!! He looks like Sloth in the Goonies! I shit you not. OMG OMG OMG I so desperately want to sneak a picture because he is all lopsided and it chuffs the fuck outta me. I'm sure I'd get fired if I got got sneaking a pic but this is seriously so good.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, nachomama said:

Fire away, if it's helpful to talk about it with relative strangers, more power to you. I know it's much harder to talk to people about my sister, who know her or know me.

The thing is, people in your life often won't let you talk about your feelings of grief and despair. They dearly want to say something to make your loss not so terrible and/or they don't want you to cry. I understand that. It's normal and it comes from love, but it makes it so hard for the person grieving.  It's so much easier to pour that out to an impartial listener, who WILL let you talk. Sometimes just being allowed to get it out eases the terrible burden a little. 

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Good news.   It is NOT an African Queen remake.   It is “inspired” by the Disney ride.  

Uh huh!

thPAS8YOIU.jpg

I suppose a Disney ride is more suited to Dwayne's talents and old Bogey can stop spinning.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

No, it's not actually a "remake" but I can not unread the words "African Queen" in any connection with The Rock(head) or unhear him saying, "We can be like Humphrey Bogart and 'Kathleen' (not sure if that was a stupid joke or he's really that clueless but fear it's the latter).Hepburn"  

2 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I suppose a Disney ride is more suited to Dwayne's talents 🤣 and old Bogey can stop spinning.

"Dwayne Johnson is the biggest movie star there is now." -  Richard Lawson, Vanity Fair     

I don't know if Mr. Lawson said that in a state of depression or elation. But yeah, speaking strictly in terms of mass, he is the biggest.

I'd rather Negan yelling about his ballsack any day.

• LOL 3

The Rock is good for blow-em-up stuff, he can be entertaining. He's meh and definitely been oversaturated lately.

I set up my phone to record my boss coming to get jobs off the corner of the desk and the sumbitch turned his face the wrong way! The swelling has gone down but he still has a significant droop to his eye. AGAIN I'm generally a nice person and do not find glee in other's suffering but seriously this one brings me so much joy.

OOOOh oooh, I met a girl named Kitty yesterday who offered up the fact that she was indeed named after Miss Kitty on Gunsmoke...questions sprang into my mind which are not appropriate. she could sense this so she did say "yes my parents named me after a whore" and I laughed and said I was going to be more polite and say prostitute or working girl. So then we launched into a discussion over whether or not Miss Kitty was indeed supposed to be a madam and you don't become a madam without ever having been in the business. My boss's mom (83) of course immediately said "oh no she was not a prostitute, she was Matt Dillons' girlfriend, she was the saloon owner" to which I replied, you don't think the dancing girls go upstairs with the cowboys and she laughed and said "that makes her a business owner and entrepenuer". Kitty did say her parents were leaning in that direction, she was an early female business owner not the prostitution side which inspired them. but we got a big hoot over the conversation but that is the question...Was Miss Kitty a prostitute?/brothel owner?

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, nachomama said:

Was Miss Kitty a prostitute?/brothel owner?

No - Miss Kitty was a saloon owner, which was an entirely different type of business.  A brothel’s primary revenue flow was straightforward cash for sex.  A saloon’s, on the other hand, was much more multifaceted; it might serve as a hotel, a late-night diner, an alcohol bar AND package store, and entertainment venue for gambling (of which the House got a cut), singing, dancing, etc.  Saloons generally did have saloon girls, but:

1. It was probably roughly even odds whether a particular saloon girl engaged in prostitution; many were the Old West equivalent of a Hooters girl, and hired for pretty much the same purpose - an attractive lure to get men in the door and drinking.
  2. Although many (most?) of the saloon girls might supplement their income horizontally, they were a sideline revenue stream to the saloon - not the primary, as was the case with a brothel.  Alcohol and gambling tended to generate far larger sums for a saloon, with far fewer complications.
  • Love 2

Coincidentally, I am watching Deadwood and I suspect that show depicts the old west a bit more accurately so yes, I believe Miss Kitty did, in her early life practice prostitution and most likely does profit from at least some of her saloon girls' horizontal activities.

• Love 3
(edited)

I knew angelkitty was my favorite.

Once upon a time my father never watched any tv shows actually set in the 20th century. I'm not sure what cable channel it was but long before tvland there was something that ran Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Rifleman, Wagon Train, the one with the Dynasty chick and the bionic man(Green Valley? Big Valley? How deep is my valley?)....we had to watch this stuff over and over. He was forever pointing to the tv, "you know who that is, right?" pointing out Palmer Courtland from "All My Children" or Wayne Newton when he was a teenager. I honestly swore off all westerns. I was like Scarlett O'Hara "As god is my witness I shall never watch another western as long as I live" for some reason I got sucked into Deadwood. I didn't love the Deadwood movie, I thought it should have more bang. LONG LIVE ELLSWORTH!

Everything was trash to my dad, we would watch tv in the living room and he would be in his room watching Wheel of Fortune* and calling out the puzzles and we would switch the tv to Alf or Fresh Prince and he always told us how dumb we were for not knowing the puzzles. One of us had to sit lookout and the other had the remote and if he came down the hall we switched it real quick. Kept the volume super low. To this day people ask why I don't turn up the volume on my tv.

*have also never watched one second of Wheel of Fortune since I left home.

Edited by nachomama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, nachomama said:

Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Rifleman, Wagon Train, the one with the Dynasty chick and the bionic man(Green Valley? Big Valley?

It was Big Valley. My mom liked the westerns and we watched all of those in real-time. When westerns became less popular she switched to police or detective shows which I now generally avoid unless they have a supernatural element. My dad was the one that watched The Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Star Trek, The Man from Uncle with me and those are my favorite genres to this day.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, nachomama said:

"yes my parents named me after a whore" and I laughed and said I was going to be more polite and say prostitute or working girl.

If she wanted to be a little more genteel and historically accurate, she could say "soiled dove". 😀

Someone wrote a review of "Gunsmoke" on IMDB, and noted how bizarre it was that the marshall's girlfriend was the town madam.

I still watch some of the Westerns, now on MeTV. A lot of them hold up really well, like the 1/2 hr "Gunsmoke" which was much darker than the hour-long version, The Big Valley (if you can ever catch one of the eps with always-great James Whitmore, called "The Death Merchant", watch it. ) Wagon Train, the early one with Ward Bond, and a few others.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

Coincidentally, I am watching Deadwood and I suspect that show depicts the old west a bit more accurately so yes, I believe Miss Kitty did, in her early life practice prostitution and most likely does profit from at least some of her saloon girls' horizontal activities.

Back in the day I can assure you everybody pretty much took it for granted Matt Dillon and Miss Kitty were bumping boots, but it was assumed all the fun stuff was happening offscreen.  Kinda like Ricky and Lucy.  ;> 

• LOL 2

I had my CT scan yesterday and I'll find out the results this afternoon. I find myself thinking of what I'm going to say on my Facebook page. Of course, I'll call my close relatives - one cousin who babysat me and one cousin (once removed) who I babysat and my brother. I know I probably should be positive, but if I imagine the worst and I'm wrong, then good news is even better. If I'm right, well then, I'll be more prepared. Quite frankly I remember how it was before and I'm 99% sure it's back. The good thing is that I know it's treatable

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, AngelKitty said:

I had my CT scan yesterday and I'll find out the results this afternoon. I find myself thinking of what I'm going to say on my Facebook page.

Don’t say shit.  Always works for me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I won't if there's nothing, but I use Facebook to keep in touch with family and friends who are far away. I only have 161 friends and most I acquired at my 40th High School Reunion in 2013. Everyone was very supportive of me when I first became sick in 2015 and again in 2017 so they will be now.

• Love 3

I'm far, far, far too young to have watched Gunsmoke live. I told someone the other day my mom died 29 years ago and I'm only 27. I'm reliving my childhood all over again because the dudes in the press room have a tv and they play tvland all day. I hear Andy Griffith, Bonanza, mash all the time. Some poor kid used to work here and we were going over everybodys that was dead on Bonanza....everybody....dead.

Here's a trivia and NO GOOGLING! You naughty cheater faces. What was the Professor's name on Gilligans Island. NO GOOGLE. BAD. OR the Skippers. Not the actor the actual character. OR Mary Anne's last name. I'll know a google face if I see it

• LOL 1
(edited)
19 minutes ago, nachomama said:

I'm far, far, far too young to have watched Gunsmoke live. I told someone the other day my mom died 29 years ago and I'm only 27. I'm reliving my childhood all over again because the dudes in the press room have a tv and they play tvland all day. I hear Andy Griffith, Bonanza, mash all the time. Some poor kid used to work here and we were going over everybodys that was dead on Bonanza....everybody....dead.

Here's a trivia and NO GOOGLING! You naughty cheater faces. What was the Professor's name on Gilligans Island. NO GOOGLE. BAD. OR the Skippers. Not the actor the actual character. OR Mary Anne's last name. I'll know a google face if I see it

Can’t be sure of the spellings because I’ve only heard them, but - Professor Roy Hinkle, Jonas Grumby, and Mary Ann Summers.  Every castaway’s name was reported in a news bulletin in the pilot episode, except Gilligan.

Edited by Nashville
Typo
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, AngelKitty said:

Good news from my scan! Cancer is not back! I am doing my happy dance! Thank you for letting me vent.😍

Congratulations you cancer-free cat, you!  🎉🍾

• Love 2