Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

50 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

If you fast forward through the commercials, the episode runs about 45 minutes long. 

I haven't timed it, but with the interminable stupid commercials which take forever to get past even with FF, I'd say no more than 35-40 minutes tops.

2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I still refuse to participate in any live posting threads - ever.

Without the hilarious commentary there, I see no reason to watch this at all.

7 hours ago, Nashville said:

Who would’ve thought we’d miss Carl and his pudding this much...?

Everything is relative, isn't it?

• Love 1

I'll watch it, it won't be appointment anymore. meh

So now my washing machine is backing up in my kitchen. What have I done to anger the gods? The city still hasn't come to dig up their water main, is it conflicting with my drainage? Everything else seems to drain ok, the bathtub etc.

Do ya'll normally try new things? Most regular places I go, I have my "thing" and I don't stray. New places obvs everything is new and I'll try stuff. I just had a cuban sammich from Jimmy John and I'll go back to my italian. Not that I order from there very often. Today lunch slipped through the cracks and I needed something delivered that doesn't go through uber eats, or grub hub/door dash etc.

As a child I only ever ate chicken fried steak wherever we went. We ate out very little, we were 30 miles from any town so no fast food and when we did go, we ate real food. I was very picky as a child, no tomatoes, no avocadoes, no shrimp, no mushrooms (all things I love now) I think a lot of it was fresh fruits and veg, we lived in New Mexico and Utah, strawberries and tomatoes had to be picked still unripe adn then they ripened during transport but weren't good or sweet. Seafood wasn't great either because all frozen. I still hate bananas, apricots, sweet potatoes. I want to be very adventurous and try things but there's always 1 damn thing, like chocolate raspberry something, don't screw up chocolate with no damn raspberries. I don't wanna be that person that's all "hold the mango chutney/sweet potato puree/banana gastric" or whatever thang.

I hate marshmallows but I like a roasted marshmallow but I don't want the guts, just the charred husk. and I mean charred, I want that puppy cajun. So I roast a marshmallow squeeze out the gooey inside (hurl) if I could roast it again, I would. Does that make me a serial killer?

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, nachomama said:

We ate out very little, we were 30 miles from any town so no fast food and when we did go, we ate real food.

Eating out was unthinkable, unheard of when I was kid. We never ever did that, but one night when I was in high school my father announced he was going to order out(!!) and we kids could have whatever we wanted!! OMG. What a dilemma. I settled on a small pizza, all dressed but my eyes were way bigger than my stomach so I could only eat a bit of it, but the rest got saved for another day. Heaven.

I wouldn't eat any veggies except potatoes and peas but strangely we did have lobster, shrimp and smelts once in a while since, although we lived very far inland, my parents came from the Maritimes. We were the only kids I knew who ever had lobster, even though it was one small lobster for 5 people. 😂 My  mother would dredge the smelts in cornmeal and fry them all crispy. I can still remember how good they were.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

My father once didn’t speak to his sister for 20 years because of eating out. My father, grandma and sister (goodone, she was like 7) they went to visit my aunt. Apparently her house was so filthy my sister didn’t eat for 3-4 days. My father wasn’t going to let her starve so grandma and he went to Shreveport and went shoppinh and they got a burger so my sister would eat. My aunt was so mad, “how dare he go out to eat and not take them?” My aunt had 6 kids and an alcoholic unemployed husband. So they didn’t speak for 20 years. 

I didn’t eat when I was at goodones cuz there were too many cats etc. I’ve been sick ever since I got home. On the upside I think I’ve lost some weight. 

• Love 1

Back in the late ‘60s, as far as my father was concerned there was one outside-the-home dining option: the Shoney’s drive-in restaurant down near the union hall.  Dad always had either the steak sandwich or - if he was feeling REALLY adventurous - the fried shrimp.  My initial staple order was the Big Boy (equivalent to a Big Mac) and fries, although I eventually graduated to the Brawny Lad - Shoney’s-speak for a quarter-pounder with a BIG-ass slab of onion. This might be an option about once a month.

Shoney’s carried our family through to the ‘70s, but pretty much got left by the wayside when my father discovered that which would be his one true love forever after - Red Lobster.

😄 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

We used to have a Shoney's here. OMG my dad loved some Red Lobster! We used to drive to my grandma's from Farmington, NM to Hobbs, NM (about 8 hours) and since we were little and my dad worked swing shifts we just left in the middle of the night. That way the kids sleep and you wake up at grandma's house. On the way back he'd stop in Albuquerque and we sat in the parking lot until Red Lobster opened. One time we went to Red Lobster and there was a girl named Ruth with us and she was at least 2 years older than me. I was maybe 10. When the waitress came around and asked if we'd like shrimp cocktail, Ruth replied "I'm not old enough to drink". Even I laughed, I thought shrimp were the bugs of the sea (they are and don't care anymore, I'll eat em all) but I knew a shrimp cocktail wasn't a cocktail.

We were devout to Western Sizzlin, that's where I got most of my chicken fried steaks. We did have sort of a fancy steak place, Culpepper County Cattle Co.I don't know if it was a chain. We had some nice mexican food places. I never had chinese food until I was 18 years old! My very first was in Seattle, omg soooooooo good. And whilst on my trip to Seattle we ventured up to Canada, Victoria British Columbia, I swear to everything holy I had the very best shrimp in my entire life, some chinese place in china town, my mouth has never forgotten.

I kinda discovered when I moved to the south that maybe my dad wasn't the very best cook as far as seafood went. He was renowned for bbq (made his own sauce, and still my favorite) he would cook for all the company picnics. And his fish fry. If we went fishing obviously we had fresh fish but generally was mostly frozen, perch. I think my dad overcooked it. I love some seafood now and I was very meh on his. He did beans (not like baked beans, kinda chili beans) cole slaw, french fries and corn meal breaded fish. I don't really love the cornmeal breading and I now believe he overcooked it. I mostly do pan fried but fish doesn't have to cook long, shrimp too, NO RUBBER! He may have cooked steaks more well done than I liked as well. My dad made "cornbread" too but it's not like anything I've ever known since. His was just cornmeal and water, smooshed into a patty and fried. Cornbread here is like an actual bread or muffin or biscuit, there are eggs, flour, cornmeal etc, some sweeter than others but I hated those hockey pucks my dad made. I wonder if that came from my dad's poor-itudeness as a child?

My father did have a dream to open a bbq restaurant. He could have done really well, I think. "George's OMC" Go ahead, ask me.

Edited by nachomama
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, nachomama said:

I kinda discovered when I moved to the south that maybe my dad wasn't the very best cook as far as seafood went. He was renowned for bbq (made his own sauce, and still my favorite) he would cook for all the company picnics. And his fish fry. If we went fishing obviously we had fresh fish but generally was mostly frozen, perch. I think my dad overcooked it. I love some seafood now and I was very meh on his. He did beans (not like baked beans, kinda chili beans) cole slaw, french fries and corn meal breaded fish. I don't really love the cornmeal breading and I now believe he overcooked it. I mostly do pan fried but fish doesn't have to cook long, shrimp too, NO RUBBER! He may have cooked steaks more well done than I liked as well. My dad made "cornbread" too but it's not like anything I've ever known since. His was just cornmeal and water, smooshed into a patty and fried. Cornbread here is like an actual bread or muffin or biscuit, there are eggs, flour, cornmeal etc, some sweeter than others but I hated those hockey pucks my dad made. I wonder if that came from my dad's poor-itudeness as a child?

For me, steak was a punishment as a child. My parents would broil it to a temperature I would call "grey," so it was tough and flavorless. I never knew why steak was considered good food. Later on, I'd occasionally have it in restaurants and then I understood. But I still have steak once every few years at best. 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Superclam said:

For me, steak was a punishment as a child. My parents would broil it to a temperature I would call "grey," so it was tough and flavorless.

Ha! On the rare occasions we had steak, it was that 1/4" thick minute steak. Both that, and pork chops were fried to a consistancy that would challenge the jaw power of a hyena. Seriously. I never knew why people enjoyed eating this stuff until I grew up and got out in the world. My poor mother did her best but when you're poor you can't indulge in the choicest cuts.

Edited by AngelaHunter
Can't spell anymore
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Pork was always a tough sell when I was a kid because I guess there had been some kind of "outbreak" where everybody cooked the devil out of all pork. I don't think you have to be as careful now but once upon a time they were absolutely scared shitless to not cook pork to beyond burnt. dry, dry, dry. We didn't do breaded pork chops or "smothered" (gravy) so, yeah exciting days.

The only salmon we ever had was out of a can, and my mom made salmon patties. gross! hated those but I love the hell out of some fresh salmon now. Little bit of butter and some sage, maybe a parmeson crust. Yummy yummy in my tummy

• Love 2
On 10/17/2019 at 11:07 AM, AngelaHunter said:

Ha! On the rare occasions we had steak, it was that 1/4" thick minute steak

Hadn’t heard of “minute steaks” in quite a while! So-called because they were pounded so thin they’d burn if you cooked them for more than a minute on each side.  😄 

On 10/17/2019 at 11:24 AM, nachomama said:

Pork was always a tough sell when I was a kid because I guess there had been some kind of "outbreak" where everybody cooked the devil out of all pork.

Back in (I think) the mid-to-late ‘70s there was a big trichinosis scare related primarily to undercooked pork, and what pigs being raised for consumption was being fed.  Trichinosis is caused by a parasitic roundworm which can live in any meat-eating mammal, and it wasn’t uncommon for a commercially raised pig’s diet to consist primarily of byproducts from other meat processing plants (pork, beef, etc.) - so pigs eating trichinosis-contaminated meat byproducts were keeping the parasite in the food chain.  Around about 1980 the federal government passed tighter restrictions on what market-destined pigs could be fed, though, and I believe trichinosis infections virtually disappeared as a result.  Some folks never shook off the scare, though.

I don't think you have to be as careful now but once upon a time they were absolutely scared shitless to not cook pork to beyond burnt. dry, dry, dry. 

The “scare” alarmed my grandmother to the point she overcooked ALL pork, which ticked off my grandfather more than a bit - he raised his own hogs, and he liked his pork chops rare.  🙂

Speaking of which - anybody else’s grandparents ever use one of those big cast-metal pressure cookers?  Those damn things are where I first learned the true force inherent in steam power.

Edited by Nashville
overcooked, not overlooked - damn autocorrect
  • Love 3

My mom used to use one of those. She used to make her own noodles. I used to love to help her. I got to slice the dough and then you hung them on every surface possible. first put a paper towel then hang noodles in the bathroom, kitchen, on lamps, the freezer you name it, noodles as far as the eye could see. She would only do it like once a year so those damn noodles had to last. I guess they're what posed as "dumplings" in my house?? But I do recall once the chicken and dumplins essploded all over the kitchen. Pot go BOOM!

Once my mom made a jello "poke" cake. you poke holes in your cake then you pour jello in the holes. I don't like jello, it's unnatural, I don't like my food to wobble. anywho for some reason she told me go pour the jello so I did, allll the jello. No one said "pour only enough to fill the holes" so I basically drenched the cake. What do I care? I din't want no damn jello anyway and I'm 8 who lets an 8 year old pour molten jello?

I remember having to eat liver, blech. My mom made me eat "2 more bites" but we liked braunschweiger (liverwurst) she just didn't call it liverwurst, ha! My dad had frog legs once, they sneaked it to my sister and I told her that her chicken had knees. My dad ate tripe. blech. My dad ate a lot of stuff that's just gross. I was pretty good at vegetables, I didn't hate spinach or broccoli. Loved corn and carrots. Didn't do lima beans, black eyed peas or stuff like that. I used to like to help my grandma snap green beans on the porch and then you cooked them allllll day with ham hocks. I even liked my moms cabbage and potatoes. it was never corned beef and cabbage.

• Love 2

I have minute steaks in my freezer, if by minute steaks you mean cube steak. I marinate them in teriyaki overnight, freeze, and cook in my Nu Wave oven. Cheap, lean, taste good to me.

i got fired in June. No job yet, but I made it through the first 2 rounds with AT&T, and have a live interview Tuesday. Good job, pays very well, close to home. In the interim, I have been getting into rat hunting with dogs. Thinking of getting a Plummer terrier and forming a new pack. This barn hunt thing has too many rules and hierarchies. They don’t even catch that many.  Lot of small farms around here to hunt. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Nashville said:

anybody else’s grandparents ever use one of those big cast-metal pressure cookers?

My mother had one of those. She would make chicken and Bisquick dumplings in it once in awhile. I loved that! The thing must have weighed 20lbs and I was afraid of it when it started blowing the steam

7 hours ago, nachomama said:

who lets an 8 year old pour molten jello?

Kids then weren't wrapped in cotton batting and the world was not child-proofed. Hurt yourself? So, you'd know better next time. Now I see hulking, six-foot high school students who have no idea that once they leave school, all traffic isn't going to come to a dead stop when they set foot on the road. The Real World is a rough place, kiddies!

2 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

if by minute steaks you mean cube steak.

Nope. As Nashville pointed out, these were so thin they'd burn in a minute. I too like the teryaki marinade with the beef cubes.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I decided to watch "Uncle Buck" for the umpteenth time.   I don't know where all of the music went.  It seems like some of the music is missing, and other songs are no longer sung by the original artists.

Where did you watch it? DVD? HBO type channel? Edited for tv? I think I think when they edit them for tv now their licensing of the music for movies now falls under different writer laws. They don’t wanna pay the original price so they replace or delete.  

I watched “midsommar” this evening, lord that’ll fuck you up. I went in vaguely knowing what it’s about. Nothing will prepare you for the weirdness. 

• Love 1
On 10/18/2019 at 3:13 PM, icemiser69 said:

My parents had a canning pressure cooker.  The cover had to be screwed on in five different spots around the lid.    That thing was unbelievably heavy.

My grandmother had one of those (they called the screw-down things the “doglatches” and latching them shut was “dogging them down”, don’t ask me why) as well as the locking-lid-latch pressure cookers, and they were both regular go-tos of my grandmother’s.  Best stand clear if one cracked, tho - the “explosion” wasn’t necessarily all that volatile, but the resulting steam vent could be a righteous bitch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/20/2019 at 3:14 PM, AngelaHunter said:

I just looked it up. Everytime I see the word "Festival" I can't help thinking of this:

"Come for the Festival, are ya?"

I don’t remember that episode at all, but it looks so interesting that I’m going to search for the whole episode, those repair guys must be top notch, there wasn’t so much as a cracked pane of glass before ‘red hour’, I loved the ‘rock’ bouncing off the guy’s head as if it were made of foam!

I’ve just spent an enjoyable couple of hours watching US Police / public interaction clips on UTube, it’s perversely reassuring to discover that dishonesty, lies, corruption, complete disregard for oaths taken to uphold the law and to serve and protect the public, are not solely confined to the once great British police force. In instances like those viewed, I can honestly say thanks that our Police do not routinely carry firearms. 😩                                                                                                                                                              

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

In these parts, there’s a saying: “When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.”  😛 

My house was on Cops! the magistrate judge lived across the street and he signed a warrant on the back of a cop car and didn't want his own house on tv so it was in front of ours. The case they were pursuing was a dude that set his co-worker on fire. egads!

The judge was also my english teacher, nice guy, originally from Cape Cod, he lost his accent and lordy smokes we still could never understand his wife even 20 years after they'd moved there. He used to read us "Grapes of Wrath" in class and when they were talking about food he'd say "potatoes" like "buh-day-duhs" he owned a "thing" I believe it's a VW vehicle type. Everybody in town knew you could start the thing with no key. just kinda jiggle the switch. So one day he comes out and his car is gone. He's very mad and gets to walking home, it's downhill. He gets home and whoever "borrowed" his car politely left it in his driveway.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, nachomama said:

he owned a "thing" I believe it's a VW vehicle type.

Yup!  Pretty popular in the ‘70s, as I recall, until DOT got onto them about safety specs - the Things were built to something like small pickup truck specs, but DOT (a) reclassified them as passenger cars then (b) slammed them for not meeting passenger car specs.  VW just said “fuck it” and quit selling them in the U. S.  

A shame, really; the Things were versatile little suckers.  I always kinda wanted one - but you’re right, @nachomama; their security was psychological at best.  How secure is a car from which you can pop the doors loose in under two minutes?  😆

• Love 1
8 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I can honestly say thanks that our Police do not routinely carry firearms. 😩                                         

I know they never needed to , but from what I'm seeing, they better start, PDQ.

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

the Things were built to something like small pickup truck specs,

Hey, I once owned a '70 Chevy Malibu that was like a tank that would plow through snowbanks, no problem. They don't make 'em like that anymore!

• Love 2

I don't know how much security we/he needed, they just "borrowed" his car. We once went on vacation and not only did NOT lock our front door we left it wide open, the screen door was shut but my dad insisted I was the last one out and should have shut and locked the front door but he was wrong because he went back in for something. But nothing was touched. Some dude did once walk into our living room and my mom was sitting there and he just said "Where's the hooch?" but I think he mistook it for a bar.

• LOL 2
17 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

But that puts us all in danger, I’ll take my chances with the knife wielding assholes rather than a power crazed idiot with a warrant card and weapon.

Edited by OoohMaggie
17 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Hey, I once owned a '70 Chevy Malibu that was like a tank that would plow through snowbanks, no problem. They don't make 'em like that anymore!

'69 Pontiac Firebird, strait six, overhead cam, my Opa's first and only new car.  Got it back from several owners in the early 2000s; restored every fucking thing except slight rust and some interior work.  It was to be my niece's sweet sixteen prezzie, BUT: some drunk asshole missed the turn and ended up plowing thru my front bushes, driveway and T-boned that Firebird into a tree.  Total loss.

I'm still not over it.  :~(

2019 wants to go out acting like a dick. First my sister now my boss’ dad. He’s been in ICU since last Tuesday. He had a stroke and bleeding on the brain. They had the big come to Jesus meeting today and they will remove all life support. He’s 83. He’s had a very good life but geez o Pete I hate 2019

I’m making tortilla soup tomorrow. It’s soup! It’s chips n dip! It’s nachos! Could a more perfect food exist? 

They just opened up an aldi here. I’ve been to one in Texas. Don’t know how much I liked it but I’ll give it a try. Maybe they’ll have something new. I need to get back to cooking. Regular routine. Sleeping when I should. Blah blah 

oh my lord! I just sent a text to my boss by accident that I could be so fired for and deservedly so. I mentioned I wasn't sure if his father had passed yet. No updates this morning. That's bad enough but then I said I dropped a bottle of bbq sauce on my foot and it's possibly broken, no foot jobs. IT WAS A JOKE! I even confessed to the bbq sauce thing just ran straight to him and said delete don't read. I'm very flippant about my sister but that's how I deal, I understand that nobody else in the entire universe is as demented on the inside as me. He did delete it unread and laughed at me, but seriously people, I'm an asshole.

Edited by nachomama

I don't give out candy, I don't think kids trick or treat like they used to. We always lived in company housing so you literally knew every single house you went to, no fear, people let their kids roam alone. We were always a big target as well because in New Mexico people live so far apart, if you're not in a town, we were a group of houses (80 houses) all clumped together so parents all bee-lined to us otherwise you drove 2 miles to each house. Now people take their kids to the mall, pay $5 or whatever their kids go do the spooky mall stuff and go business to business. Or trunk or treat at churches, they bring the candy to the kids rather than the kids to the candy. And they call it a Fall Festival not trick or treat/halloween because, jesus, you know.

Halloween usually wasn't very cold for us but my mom grew up in Iowa so she always dressed us up super warm. For some reason my mom had a wig thing. If you couldn't incorporate a hat into your costume then you had to wear this blonde wig she had. We kinda liked the wig for dress up (you could be Sandy from Grease!) but good lord was it hot and itchy at halloween. We steered away from princess characters because we didn't want to be forced to wear the wig. Plus putting a big old jacket on over your princess thing sort of defeated the purpose.

• Love 1

Halloween is big in my neighborhood. There's a parade, and then literally hundreds of kids trick-or-treating. It's actually kind of nice to see. Unfortunately, it's supposed to rain this year. 

I'm on Weight Watchers, so it's kind of hard for me, but I don't really have that much of a sweet tooth. Those mini candy bars can be hard to resist, though. 

• Love 1

anything chocolate was always a big plus, m&m's, reeses, snickers, butterfinger, baby ruth. awesome. tootsie pops or bubblegum lollipops were good. didn't love the cheapy hard candies. gummy wasnt big when I was a kid and I know kids love them but gummy is so gross. I don't want any worms or bears. hate hate hate twizzlers. or fruit roll up type things, anything that can be construed as healthy.

I do like candy corn but I like it with popcorn, salty and sweet combined.

I remember my mom making homemade popcorn balls one year for halloween. Omg disaster! My mom burnt the shit out of her hands because she started mixing too early. Do you remember the "make your own" caramel apples? Sheets of flat round caramel and you wrapped it around your own apple?  Tasty but never enough caramel too much apple. I only like green/sour apples. hate red apples.

2 minutes ago, nachomama said:
Edited by nachomama
I'm an idiot
  • Love 2

I didn't like candy apples because it was like getting half an apple up your nose, my face was too small to get a bite properly. I do think I lost a tooth biting into taffy once. I hated getting sticky and lord help me I don't want to touch a sticky child.

My favorite thing in the whole wide world was a cherry tootsie roll. They're very rare. I do like a cherry starburst but something about that cherry was so good.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The absolute best Halloween candy when I was a kid: Krackel bars.  My god, but I was addicted to them.  Nestle’s Crunch ran a close second.

The absolute worst: Smarties.  I mean, even when I was 6-7 years old I knew - if you’re too damn cheap to pony up for genuine SweetTarts at least, then you’re not even really bothering to fucking try.  

Second-worst: the oversized marshmallow-ish orange “circus peanuts”.  Good Lord, but those things would’ve made a circus elephant throw up.

Edited by Nashville
Expansion
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I didn't like smarties either but I absolutely hated candy necklaces. why, oh, why would anyone want something around their neck that gets sticky????? I have a neck phobia anyway, cannot wear turtlenecks or choker type necklances, nothing can touch my neck. Anytime I see something gruesome on tv I grab my neck, have to hold it. Like a movie where somebody's getting a leg sawed off, gotta be holding the neck.

I know the concept of Pez is mostly that it's a toy, I was always annoyed at the candy ratio. Pez wasn't big on my list just for sheer loading factor.

I wonder what the difference is between crunch and krackel?

• Love 1

I know they're both basically rice crispies inside but I wonder if Hershey has more cocoa or more sugar? I've never thought of the difference before, sometimes I'm in the mood for nuts and I like a Mr. Goodbar.  I know, as Americans, our "hershey" chocolate is lesser quality than european chocolate. I'll still eat it all but I don't love European chocolate and I know I'm used to what we get here. When we got those mixed bags of mini chocolate bars, I never liked the "dark" chocolate. We made my mom eat those. She was probably over there laughing at us "oh, no Brer Rabbit don't give me the dark chocolate" and loving it. I also made my mom eat the orange starbursts. anything banana flavored.

Does anyone remember valentines candy that had jellies? OMG GROSSSSSSS! We would seriously bite them and if they had jelly inside, usually orange, I gave it to my mom. Can you imagine all the nasty half eaten stuff I gave my mom? Eventually we never saw jellies anymore and it was all creams, now I just avoid the raspberry. I like cherry, strawberry, I can even tolerate orange!

I was kind of an asshole even as a kid, half eaten candy and I just confessed to my late sister fairly recently that when we used to have pickled okra in the fridge I would pull one out, lick it and stick it back in the jar!!!!! I hated the okra, too slimey, but I liked the brine and the hairy texture of the outside. That is truly a bizarre admission. It didn't bother her because she didn't eat the okra either but holy crap, my parents were eating all the stuff I licked!!!! We laughed and laughed. I hate bananas as well but I loved my grandma's nanner puddin. But I spit out all the nanners! I was just eating vanilla pudding! OMG what a dumbass.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Holy shit, trick or treating is over and I'm exhausted. The kids have POUNDS of candy. 

I just got home from the memorial service and holy crap my neighborhood is crawling with kids. I swear in the last few years we’ve gotten hardly any. And I thought I’d be safe getting home after 8. The city puts out guidelines to take the kids between 5:30 and 7:30 and I know the bigger kids go later but usually it’s very dwindled after 8. The only candy I’ve got is a snickers blizzard and they’ll pry that out of my cold dead hands. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/31/2019 at 10:29 AM, Superclam said:

Same thing, one is Nestle, the other is Hershey's. 

23 hours ago, nachomama said:

I know they're both basically rice crispies inside but I wonder if Hershey has more cocoa or more sugar?

Don’t know if there’s any appreciable difference nowadays, but back when I was a kid the chocolate in Krackels was both darker and sweeter - chocolatey-er, for lack of a better term.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

A great candy bar and a great movie (Looking for Mr. Goodbar).

There was a movie back in the seventies that was on my mind recently.  Anyone remember, "The Reincarnation of Peter Proud"?

I remember the title, but I couldn't tell you a thing about it. 

19 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

He also used to buy those milk carton shaped boxes of Whoppers (malted milk balls).

One of my least favorite candies. Chocolate covered vomit balls. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Superclam said:
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I had a neighbor who used to love those Circus Peanuts.  He used to leave them out until they got stale, he liked them that way.

He also used to buy those milk carton shaped boxes of Whoppers (malted milk balls).

One of my least favorite candies. Chocolate covered vomit balls. 

My old boss used to love stale circus peanuts, he liked for them to get hard n chewy.  he also likes peeps and mallomars. all things that are illegal to me. blech blech

My dad liked those malted milk balls, I called em moth balls. nasty nasty nasty.

I do need to stop by the store on my way home from work and pick up my half price Halloween candy. anything chocolate, I do usually get some candy corns for the popcorn mix I make and maybe some peppermint patties. I love me a peppermint patty. I like stale cheezy poofs. up to a point. chewy but not greasy.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If you haven't read the book, it's amazingly good. Couldn't put it down.

12 hours ago, nachomama said:

My dad liked those malted milk balls, I called em moth balls. nasty nasty nasty.

Damn. First and last time I had one of those I think I was  in high school. Just reading the name of them brought it all back. Nasty indeed. Yuck.

I don't know what "Circus Peanuts" are but they sound less than tasty.

Edited to add: Wait! Suddenly a memory from the distant past hit me and I do recall those "Peanuts." Ewwww. Horrible things.

peanutsQtL._SX355_.jpg

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

My grandfather’s favorite.

20 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

There was a movie back in the seventies that was on my mind recently.  Anyone remember, "The Reincarnation of Peter Proud"?

Yup - Michael Sarrazin (sp?) runs across a woman who can’t help but keep killing her dead husband.  😁

Funny thing about Michael Sarrazin; in the early/mid-70s he was one of the hottest leading men working in Hollywood - right up until about 1976 and Gumball Rally, after which his career appeared to fall off a pretty tall cliff.  Prior to today I hadn’t heard anything out of - or even thought of - Michael Sarrazin In over 30 years, give or take.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I should never doubt myself. I went to get my cheap Halloween candy and I purchased terrible things. Everybody got the good stuff. I got peanut butter snickers. Which aren’t horrible but they aren’t the best thing I ever put in my mouth. And then the tragedy occurred ... I should never follow the instincts of uhhh how do I put this? Wives? Perhaps millennial chicks? I purchased white claw ... and it’s sucks. Hahaha I wanted the cherry one and couldn’t find it so I bought a variety pack. Double bad. Luckily I have a friend who can finish it. Maybe I’ll make a sparkly sangria out of it. 

• Love 1