Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

@icemiser69 - I fully expected my reunions to be exactly as you describe, but I was pleasantly surprised:

1. Skipped the 10-year.  Most of the (very few) people I had any knowledge of after graduation were still fuckups trying to assemble something resembling a sane life, which didn’t really endear me to the prospect of seeing the same thing x200.
  2. Wife sorta nudged me into attending the 15-year - a “small” reunion, pretty informal - so I went, and was more than a little surprised to find out MANY more people remembered me fondly than I ever expected (personally I’d always considered myself pretty much invisible in HS, but apparently not).  About all of the old clique walls had pretty much cracked into nothingness, many of the former HS wallflower types had emerged from their cocoons into GREAT personalities, and most of the formerly jerk-ish “golden children” had been shell-shocked enough by real life for their superior shells to crack and let in some humanity.
  3. The 20-year was pretty great; we were all in our late 30s by now, everybody was pretty comfortable in their own skins, and none of the old distinctions seemed to matter any more.  One lady had dropped about half her former body weight, she looked like a fucking rock star ( which NOBODY was shy about telling her), and we wore off half the surface of the Country Club’s dance floor that night.  😄 
  4. We didn’t do a 25, but the 30 was pretty laid back; this was the first post-Facebook reunion, and a fair number of the previous reunions’ MIAs showed up - including a few of the former top-cliquers, who I think showed up expecting all the old HS crap to have been carefully preserved in glass bubbles in their absence.  They were, ahhh, somewhat surprised to find otherwise. 😉 When after a few drinks some started in on some of the old “cuts”, people just started walking away from them, and stayed away - their negativity was avoided by former friends and victims alike.  They didn’t stay too long. 😄 
  5. Folks wanted a 35, but the reunion committee never got in gear - so some of us put together a by-god 37th on our own, and had a pretty complete turnout. 🙂   Funny thing, though; most of the Negative Nancies from the 30th didn’t show up (maybe they were taking a break from FB that year?), but the ones who did were much more pleasant and sociable the second time around.  Maybe it just took a bit for the culture shock to seep in, or maybe they were actually relieved they didn’t have to keep playing out those tired old HS roles any more - I don’t know which.

Last time we decided to keep them going every 5 years on the 0/5 breaks, because age mortality has already started its creep; between the 20-30 and the 30-37 gaps, the size of our “In Remembrance” Wall has doubled each time. 😞   In any case, I’m looking forward to the 40th; age considerations aside, we’re a pretty damn fun bunch nowadays. 🙂 

Edited by Nashville
Cleanup

This is one of the weird child hood incidents but my mother's "gossiping" is what made me remember it. One time my mother actually did go down the street to visit her friend. I guess I decided she had been gone long enough and I went to go get her. I started running down the street and I guess I got into a groove, started my "Chariots of Fire" running montage lookin up at the trees listening to the wind and WHAM! I smacked into a parked truck in a driveway. That's what happens when you are lookin up at the trees and not where you're going. So I dusted myself off, took a look around and no one saw me so I walked the rest of the way. My mother says, "we really do need to get your eyes checked if you can't see a truck".

• LOL 2

My father being an extremely cheap man tried to heat our house with firewood only one year. We had a big wood stove and it had a fan that blew the heat out. You had to leave your door open if you wanted heat in your room although basically it was super hot in the living room and mostly freezing everywhere else. I didn't realize that for an entire year I smelled like a campfire. Anywho, one day I'm out on the enclose porchy type thing and gathering the firewood to bring in for the night. I slipped on an icy rock and basically took a tree branch in an ass cheek. In the spring when everything cleared and there was no more firewood I also found my wallet and drivers license that had been missing for several months.

In one way or another I been busting my ass all my life. As a wee tiny child I took a bath and we had a little gas heater in the wall. I bent over to dry off my feet and sizzled my derriere. I was branded with little stripes from the grate. I had a bar code on my ass for several years.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I used to accuse my mother of not ever being a child. There are maybe 3 pics of her under the age of 10 and she never seemed to have any memories. She recalled pestering her brother, he was 4 years older and if he ever wanted to do things with his friends their parents would say "take your sister along" and he would have to bribe her with candy to shut up and not embarrass him. She also would go to other people's houses and eat their snacks. My grandmother had only healthy things, vegetables grown in her own garden. If my grandmother could have purchased stock in carrots she would have been a millionaire. She served some kind of carrot with every meal. Great believer in the carrot/raisin salad (yucko!) or cooked carrots or carrots in the salad or slaw featuring carrots. Carrots, carrots, carrots. anywho if my mom wanted soda or chips she went to a neighbors and made the kids go ask for snacks. My mother had a similar story to my smacking into the truck, she said by 11-12 they took her to get glasses and remembers noticing leaves on trees for the first time. She could see the trees, big green globs but not the individual leaves. She thought I really couldn't see the truck.

I have either a cute or a creepy picture of my mother and her brother kissing. They were trying to do fancy "movie" kissing, sort of a theatrical embrace, of course no tongue but just what little kids interpreted as romantic movie style of the 40's. I also have a really excellent picture of my mother at about 7-8 swimming with the family and there's some kind of waterfall or splashy thing near her and they got her just at the right moment of the water hitting her and sort of a mouth open shriek of joy. Pictures were usually not candid like that back in the day.

I decided to reopen and investigate the Amityville horror case.  How can you fire a 35 caliber rifle 8 times and not one person, even the person on the highest floor, who was shot last not wake up?  Everyone was in bed, facedown.  The parents were shot first, four times.  How did that not wake the whole house?  No there was not a silencer used.  

Plus I watched part of Gymkata.  Those eighties movies were astonishingly stupid yet fantastic. 

1 hour ago, Mu Shu said:

Plus I watched part of Gymkata.  Those eighties movies were astonishingly stupid yet fantastic. 

Oh, geez - Gymkata, one of the most mind-numbingly stupid-ass wastes of 35mm film ever created.  But yeah - the “maze town” was off the rails to be sure.

• Love 1

Is Cold Case the one with the blonde lady? She always freaked me out, I don't know if it was the blonde hair that just didn't seem right, like she always looked sickly to me. Too Pale or too something.

There's one specific cable channel dedicated to detective shows from the 80's -90's, my sister subscribes to it. Like pays an extra $40 for her cable just for the one channel. I told her how nuts that was. Can't guarantee Cold Case is on that channel but it's got NYPD blue, endless SVU's and the like, Equalizer, she likes the pre NYPD blue that the NYPD blue guy was on. ha that's helpful. I could google it but you know that would take effort.

I recently watched Breakin 2 electric boogaloo and it is as awful as it ever was. I believe I've only seen breakin 1 once but umpteen times for Numero dos. I have since googled the headliners to see what they're up to. I believe Lucinda Dicky married well cuz I don't think she retired on boogaloo money. Turbo I think Quinones continued dancing, did some choreography for movies etc. had a bunch of kids and mentored youth. pretty good guy. turbo aka boogaloo shrimp gained a little weight. And Ice T went on the gazillion years on SVU

We watched Girls just Wanna Have fun, endlessly as a child of the 80's "tune in Tokyo" and "it's the safest thing you'll ever have between your legs" are still quotes today. We watched EDITED The Blue Lagoon, so we never saw boobies and smexy smexy stuff. We also watched Carrie edited for tv so I never knew what caused the first freak out in the shower. My sister misheard Piper Laurie begging Carrie not to go to the Prom. She says "They're all gonna laugh at you" and my sister heard "Get a little altitude". which really just makes my sister stupid. I was madly in love with Robbie Benson as a child and I never understood why Billie Joe Macallister jumped off the Tallahatchie Bri-idge, watched it in college and I was like WHAT THE FUCK WERE MY PARENTS LETTING ME WATCH? I think it's all fun stuff about installing indoor plumbing and her dumb doll Benjiman. meanwhile Roscoe P. Coltrane from Dukes of Hazzard was getting all jiggy with it.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

H.R. Pufnstuf quiz

Having never heard of it, 6/12,  there was one, maybe two ‘gimmes’ in there though and the kid in the first picture looks really familiar, give me the Banana Splits.

• LOL 1

The early 80’s were a good time, VCR machines were becoming affordable and oh the joy of being able watch a movie in your living room whenever YOU wanted to. As a ‘just’ teenage boy it was obviously the whole range of hack and slash video nasties.

• Love 1

It's absurdly wrong how much I loved "Land of the Lost". I enjoyed the giant strawberries, I adored the baby dinosaur. I adored Chaka. Sleestacks were spooky. I laughed and laughed when I googled years later and the brother "Will" went by only 1 name like he's Cher or something. and it's ...WESLEY. HAHAHA

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

How do they keep track of who has died?  A lot of times when people graduate from high school, many people travel to parts unknown and don't keep in touch with their past.

There's a few of those, but fewer than you might think.  Keep in mind, though, we all went to school and graduated together - which means many of those who did move on still have family in the area, or they (or their family) still keep in touch with locals who are/were close friends.  

Also, Facebook helps out tremendously in that respect; even if they never attend a reunion, about 80% of our MIAs were resolved through FB.

• Useful 1

12/13 on the birds. I got the first 7 or so easy, then the last ones were hard. 

9 hours ago, nachomama said:

It's absurdly wrong how much I loved "Land of the Lost". I enjoyed the giant strawberries, I adored the baby dinosaur. I adored Chaka. Sleestacks were spooky. I laughed and laughed when I googled years later and the brother "Will" went by only 1 name like he's Cher or something. and it's ...WESLEY. HAHAHA

No love for Ta and Sa? 

About 3rd grade or so, I wore a Sleestak box costume for Halloween. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

How well do you know your cartoon birds?

11 / 13, but one correct answer was  a lucky guess. Good old Foghorn, we don’t see enough, I say we don’t see enough of the old Rooster, he sounds better than Elpha though 🐔🐔

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

In retrospect how good were the cartoons? Scooby was the same plot over and over. Roadrunner, same. Captain Caveman? anyone....he's literally just a hairy guy yelling Captain Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaveman. Harlen Globetrotters cartoon, always down by like 97 points and then boom come back and win second half. There was some really dumb ones, something about music, Master Blaster? Like a rock band got sent to some weird cartoon universe and the bad guy wanted to eliminate all music? anyone? am I on drugs?

I apparently had all the vitamin D I need for a year, yesterday. And that's not a euphamism for anything. Went to brunch and sat outside because it was so pleasant. Well I'm beet red today.

8 hours ago, nachomama said:

In retrospect how good were the cartoons? Scooby was the same plot over and over. Roadrunner, same. Captain Caveman? anyone....he's literally just a hairy guy yelling Captain Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaveman. Harlen Globetrotters cartoon, always down by like 97 points and then boom come back and win second half. There was some really dumb ones, something about music, Master Blaster? Like a rock band got sent to some weird cartoon universe and the bad guy wanted to eliminate all music? anyone? am I on drugs?

I apparently had all the vitamin D I need for a year, yesterday. And that's not a euphamism for anything. Went to brunch and sat outside because it was so pleasant. Well I'm beet red today.

I agree.  Let’s watch some good cartoons like Fat Albert. 

I tried watching re-runs of other long ago shows that I loved, loved, loved. Dukes of Hazard, dear god it's terrible.

Ooo, just remembered another terrible 80's flick that I loved! Night of the Comet anybody who was outside or more precisely not enclosed in metal went poof to dust. These 2 sisters survived because 1 slept in a shed when she fought with their stepmother, the other hooked up with her boyfriend in a movie theater, they find a random truck driver and everyone else turned to Zombies. Montage in a high end shopping mall...secret government facility that has turned evil. Juliette Lewis' dad was in it.

It's on record that my sister is an idiot. Currently finding all these "lost" friends on facebook and found a former hook up. Apparently he has some kind of cancer and has about 6 months to live. So she's crying and really loves the phrase "here's mud in yer eye" because she was going to use it in her epic poem at church and now she's raising a toast (on facebook) to this dude. I googled him. In 2009 and 2010 he was charged TWICE with kidnapping his girlfriend.  After the 2009 incident he kidnapped her again to drag her to a notary to sign papers dropping the charges. He beat her with a golf club. Before that he was charged with raping someone with a baseball bat. He was never a good guy, he gave her venereal diseases. But she's so sad at his loss.

I'm PEEEEEEELING! Dude I look like such a moron. Face all sunburned and peeling like a tomato. Hellboy might find me hot though.

They made me go watch the "Us" movie last night and I like scary movies although haven't seen one in a theater in a long, long time. I caught a bunch of hell for yelping during a trailer for the "Nun" movie last year. I wasn't paying attention and then the scary one jumped out and it just caught me so they been calling me a chicken but I survived "us". It's good but has a few moments that I don't think were supposed to be funny but took some of the edge off. Not spoilery -- I don't think we are supposed to laugh when one of them is talking. Also some dude shouted "aw hell naw" during one of the pivotal scenes and we all cracked up.

• Love 1
On 3/26/2019 at 7:29 AM, nachomama said:

I tried watching re-runs of other long ago shows that I loved, loved, loved. Dukes of Hazard, dear god it's terrible.

Ooo, just remembered another terrible 80's flick that I loved! Night of the Comet anybody who was outside or more precisely not enclosed in metal went poof to dust. These 2 sisters survived because 1 slept in a shed when she fought with their stepmother, the other hooked up with her boyfriend in a movie theater, they find a random truck driver and everyone else turned to Zombies. Montage in a high end shopping mall...secret government facility that has turned evil. Juliette Lewis' dad was in it.

I remember that one - especially the taut drama surrounding high scores on an arcade video game.  😛

On 3/26/2019 at 7:29 AM, nachomama said:

It's on record that my sister is an idiot. Currently finding all these "lost" friends on facebook and found a former hook up. Apparently he has some kind of cancer and has about 6 months to live. So she's crying and really loves the phrase "here's mud in yer eye" because she was going to use it in her epic poem at church and now she's raising a toast (on facebook) to this dude. I googled him. In 2009 and 2010 he was charged TWICE with kidnapping his girlfriend.  After the 2009 incident he kidnapped her again to drag her to a notary to sign papers dropping the charges. He beat her with a golf club. Before that he was charged with raping someone with a baseball bat. He was never a good guy, he gave her venereal diseases. But she's so sad at his loss.

If you see a guy beating a girl with, say, a nine-iron and you try to pull her out of it - but she fights YOU off saying “No, wait, he’s really not that bad of a guy” - whatcha gonna do?  

Not much you CAN do, except step back out of swinging range.  😞 

26 minutes ago, Nashville said:

I remember that one - especially the taut drama surrounding high scores on an arcade video game.  😛

If you see a guy beating a girl with, say, a nine-iron and you try to pull her out of it - but she fights YOU off saying “No, wait, he’s really not that bad of a guy” - whatcha gonna do?  

Not much you CAN do, except step back out of swinging range.  😞 

Very true. I kinda want to smack my sister with a nine iron (she was not the kidnapee) because she's wasting all her boo-hooing over this asshat and our eldest sister may also only have 6 months to live (she did all the surgery and radiation and is supposedly "all clear" but she isn't gaining weight back) and it doesn't really bother her.

3 hours ago, nachomama said:

Very true. I kinda want to smack my sister with a nine iron (she was not the kidnapee) because she's wasting all her boo-hooing over this asshat and our eldest sister may also only have 6 months to live (she did all the surgery and radiation and is supposedly "all clear" but she isn't gaining weight back) and it doesn't really bother her.

Did she do chemo as well?  Because it can take a while for the body’s digestive system to bounce back from chemo and get working right again - some of that stuff can totally nuke the beneficial bacterial flora which normally resides in the gut.

She had 2 rounds of chemo, originally scheduled a third but then they decided she didn't need it. Mostly it was radiation and that's what burned her. It was 7 days a week for 11 weeks, brutal and her throat is burned. She cannot taste anything and she lost salivary glands so she has to drink a ton to get anything down. She can't do dairy because it clogs her up so she can't just chug 6 milkshakes a day. She can "feel" anything spicy but not actually taste it. She's eating beans for protein, avocado toast, mashed potatoes but she's weighing in at about 83 pounds. I've sent her the protein powders that athletes use to bulk up and mixing it with soy milk, coconut milk anything non dairy. And she puts a scoop of non dairy ice cream in it. They told her it could take 3 years to get her tastebuds back.

Meh, it is what it is. No one has given us a prognosis, she appears to be free and clear, test wise, I'd just be more comfortable if she could gain some weight. I'd be supremely happy if I could donate the weight personally. I got extra. Anyway, just irritated with idiot sister being all focused on asshat when my cancer sister has never beaten anyone with a golf club, heck she don't even play golf.

I also often wonder if idiot sister grew up in the wild, wild west 1846 cuz she talks like a dumbass. From the "here's mud in yer eye" toast to answering someone who asked about the dude and she's all "he's hurting awful" I expect her to say stuff like "plum tuckered" & "bust up a chifforobe"

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Nah, just what you’re describing halfway reminded me of one of my best friends:

1. About 10 years ago had an occurrence of right-side throat cancer, went through radiation & chemo, beat it, was in remission for 6 years.
  2. A reoccurrence popped up, went through radiation & chemo, beat THAT, was in remission for about 2-1/2 years.
  3. A new occurrence popped up (on the left side of his throat this time) - and unlike the previous bouts, this one would never completely go down.  It would get knocked back severely (like 95% reduction), everybody would think it was going to be gone with the next treatment or two - or three - but that last 5% just kept hanging on, and hanging on, and then it started growing again.  

When the last occurrence started the doc said if it didn’t respond to treatment, he’d have about six months; he lasted a year and a half, long enough to walk his daughter down the aisle in August, and we said goodbye to Rick last September.  So Fuck You Cancer, and here’s one for you, Rick. 🍻

eesh. This is right side and she smoked for about 40 years. She hasn't lost her voice she just kinda sounds like a duck every once in a while. Or constantly like she's got a cold, that's why the no dairy. She had no insurance when this came along, Texas has some kind of grant system that'll pay for treatment but it wouldn't pay for chemo and she got jerked around quite a bit. The doctors refused to see her if she didn't have the $200 for the office visit but the surgery/radiation/you name it was paid for. She paid for most tests and biopsies out of pocket so she did start to have to scrape around for the office visit fees. But seriously, you got $50K (and upwards I'm sure) for the surgery and you can't somehow have that cover the follow up visit????? She will finally quailify for medicare by June.

She sent me a photo of the harness thingy they would strap her into while doing the radiation, sweet jesus, scary. She called it her Freddie Kruger mask. It's a mesh thing molded to her and they literally screwed her down to the table so that they could do the pinpoint radiation. If you were claustrophobic you were fucked. She lost so much weight during the course of treatment by the time it was done she could wiggle around in the thing which isn't good.

9 minutes ago, nachomama said:

Hopefully you've got that all squared away and speaking of, how'd your big burn turn out? Is it gonna be a cool scar that you can say "I got this one in Nam"?

Oh, that - it healed up pretty well:

IMG_3378.thumb.JPG.9b577c8ec550dee46c0b209417c8ef26.JPG

The scar looks a little like a Chinese dragon to me, so I’m thinking of maybe getting it outlined for a tattoo.

P. S.: Would it be out of line to have it breathing fire...? 😆

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, nachomama said:

I think that would be very cool. question about tattoos...if you get sunburned and peel does your tattoo eventually peel?

Nah - sunburn peeling occurs at the outmost epidermal layer of your skin, while tattoo ink is injected down in the deeper dermal skin layers.

5 minutes ago, nachomama said:

I know they fade and I didnt know if that's from skin erosion or not. ha!

Mainly from sun exposure (UV radiation can break down many types of tattoo ink), and age - over time your immune system’s natural “housekeeping” activities will tend to erode the deposited ink to some degree, making it appear faded and “fuzzy”.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

The scar looks a little like a Chinese dragon to me, so I’m thinking of maybe getting it outlined for a tattoo.

I'm no fan of tats, but just watched a YT vid of cover-ups for scars, birthmarks, etc. I think that's a good idea! I love dragons and think that would be cool.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I'm no fan of tats, but just watched a YT vid of cover-ups for scars, birthmarks, etc. I think that's a good idea! I love dragons and think that would be cool.

My tattoo guy is in town Friday of next week to do a calf piece on me, so I’ll probably be asking him about it then; knowing him, he’d probably love the idea.

I may hold off for a year or two, though, just to see how “permanent” the scar is likely to be. 🙂

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Nashville said:

I may hold off for a year or two, though, just to see how “permanent” the scar is likely to be.

Good idea, but even if it does fade you already have tats so what's one more? You can't go wrong with a dragon. I did a 24" x 18" painting of a dragon for my final art exam. Always loved them.

Here's one that's kind of cool although I prefer the ones that look like real animals. i.e, the Harry Potter type:

dragon80c8b69950e0c8a.jpg

4 hours ago, Nashville said:

tend to erode the deposited ink to some degree, making it appear faded and “fuzzy”.

I heard it's the ones done in pale/pastel colours that fade over time. True?

• Love 2

Yeah I think waiting for the scar is a good idea, I know the skin evolves and I don't think they recommend anything on a fresh scar. The outline and fire breathing could be cool.

I know a lot of women get tattoos after cancer surgery. I wouldn't mind getting a tattoo but I know anything I do I'd hate within a year and you're stuck with it. I don't care for the trendy tattoos or tramp stamps, I'd want something thoroughly original, which you've got because the scar itself is dictating the tat. If I had a unique idea or inspired by something that was truly original and done well I'd be really happy. I do not want a heart, butterfly, flower or some twerp's name. If you're a woman def don't get it on yer boobs. It may end up a different zip code as you age. My niece is pretty stupid and got a flower tattoo to cover stretch marks after she had a baby, then she had another baby, that's a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig flower now.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I heard it's the ones done in pale/pastel colours that fade over time. True?

There’s not a single hard-and-fast rule, because there are too many variables - the type of inks used, the style in which it’s applied, etc.  

That being said - a couple of general rules:

1. The lighter the color, the quicker it’ll fade; white is the worst, with yellow a close second.
  2. Pastel shadings do tend to break down quicker than solid colors; they carry less colored pigment, proportionally speaking, so there’s less coloration to stand up to the ravages of time and exposure. 
  • Love 1

ok, I am at work and I don't want to brag but seriously, there are some dumb fucks in this room. I aint no genius but I'm listening to my "supervisor" read aloud her homework for some history class. She's reading about George Washington, Jefferson, Adams etc. I was not alive for these presidents either and I know that at one time I thought Lincoln and Kennedy were assassinated about 20 years apart so I can't say I was always this bright. But holy shit girl I wanted to shout from the back of the room "Alexander Hamilton was never president! There's like a whole musical that took the world by storm where SPOILER ALERT, HE GETS SHOT" She also has hilarious pronunciations, I know a lot of people pronounce Illinois with the s on the end...Illinoise. She pronounces Arkansas, R'can-sauce, and odometer is oddo-meeeeeter. I'm bored and cranky so I got nothing else to concentrate on.

• LOL 3
On 3/28/2019 at 1:06 PM, Nashville said:

Oh, that - it healed up pretty well:

IMG_3378.thumb.JPG.9b577c8ec550dee46c0b209417c8ef26.JPG

P. S.: Would it be out of line to have it breathing fire...? 😆

I see a seahorse.  Lovely little creatures ...

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I see a seahorse.  Lovely little creatures ...

Gotta love a good Rorschach scar.  😆

Edited by Nashville
Correcting fucking autocorrect
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Hahaha There's a note in the "reunion" website that no one is signing up. If they don't have at least 30 rooms reserved the reunion is cancelled. I'm laughing at my sister, that's what I said, out of classes of less than 100 you're expecting a third to show up? Even with 10 years worth of classes you can't get 30 to sign up? Her stupid plans are going up in smoke.

• LOL 1