Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

(edited)
20 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Didn't they kill off the character that Batemen portrayed?  Shot during a bank robbery, I believe

They didn't kill him though! Oh, no, no nononono of course not. Pa climbed a mountain and built an altar and jeebus himself saved/cured young James. Pa grew this beard that looked like a squirrel died on his face, omg it was epic. Laura once ran away because she thought she killed her baby brother Frederick because she wished he wasnt so annoying and getting all the attention, she climbed a mountain and god took the form of Ernest Borgnine and he helped her realize she didn't kill him. And, and and one time Carrie feel asleep and dreamed giant strawberries. Somebody in the writers room was gettin high.

If you love LHotP there's a tiktok dude whom I adore

@mrstoneauthor he's FANTASTIC. He recreates scenes and his Harriet Oleson is spot on. Caroline comes in to sell her eggs and Mrs. Oleson poo poos something or other, Caroline gives her a piece of her mind and then Harriett shouts "NEEEELLLLLLLLLS" and he nails it. He rates the prairie dresses, well he rates all kind of cinematic couture and does watch-alongs with other retro tv shows. He rates the prairie hunks, etc etc

Edited by nachomama
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Shingles.

I just had my first Shingles shot.  So far I am feeling okay.   Has anyone else her gotten the shots?  Have any of you had any issues after getting the shots.

Had it about two years ago. I don't recall any side effects.

• Useful 1

There's a very active thread on here where we make fun of all those things about Little House. I'm a big fan of the show, but it's ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, nachomama said:

Pa climbed a mountain and built an altar and jeebus himself saved/cured young James.

Known lovingly as the "Schlong of Healing." 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

There's a very active thread on here where we make fun of all those things about Little House. I'm a big fan of the show, but it's ridiculous. 

Known lovingly as the "Schlong of Healing." 

When this was TWoP I was a member of the LH club. "Pa Ma and the Mime that raped Sylvia" was the name of the thread. It was good times but yes there was some ridiculousness going on with Mimes and Mlines and baby battering rams etc. When I visited France my aunt said they LOOOOOVE Little house and also The Dukes of Hazard which I find very odd, the french people love our prairie bonnets and our short shorts.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
3 minutes ago, nachomama said:

When this was TWoP I was a member of the LH club. "Pa Ma and the Mime that raped Sylvia" was the name of the thread. It was good times but yes there was some ridiculousness going on with Mimes and Mlines and baby battering rams etc. When I visited France my aunt said they LOOOOOVE Little house and also The Dukes of Hazard which I find very odd, the french people love our prairie bonnets and our short shorts.

Here's a present for you:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140330095600/http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/topic/1870765-little-house-on-the-prairie-pa-ma-and-that-mime-that-raped-sylvia/

• Useful 1
(edited)

Yes, I'm not sure of the appeal with Jerry Lewis either but yeah he's big in France.

I knew they had an archive of the old threads, I actually met many of those people, we went to St. Louis and Mansfield to go see Laura and Almanzo's house, It was fun and not even one serial killer in the bunch.

Edited by nachomama
  • Useful 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, nachomama said:

When I visited France my aunt said they LOOOOOVE Little house and also The Dukes of Hazard which I find very odd, the french people love our prairie bonnets and our short shorts.

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

In general, aren't they big fans of Jerry Lewis?

I think The Kids In the Hall put it best: “If the French can worship Jerry Lewis and the Turks can invent the croissant, ANYTHING can happen in this crazy crazy world.”

Edited by Nashville
Typo
  • LOL 1
On 7/8/2021 at 7:43 AM, icemiser69 said:

Shingles.

I just had my first Shingles shot.  So far I am feeling okay.   Has anyone else her gotten the shots?  Have any of you had any issues after getting the shots.

I got mine a while back, I think pre pandemic. No side effects that I can remember.

• Useful 1

I've never really attempted to watch soccer but great googly moogly baseball always bored me. My father was an umpire, oh dear lord the number of hours I had to sit around and wait for him. People keep telling me that seeing a professional live game is different, there's a rush from the people or whatever, nope. Again, this is not "professional" but we did go see the Albuquerque Dukes when I was a kid, I think they were a farm team for the Dodgers at the time. It's the closest to any professional sporting event I've ever attended. If you don't get to buy the hot dogs or beer then it's not fun. and obvs, my dad wasn't buying us jack. Our little league field was within walking distance of our house so I'd just go home when I got bored. For a hot minute I worked in the concession stand, I got free nachos and coke. the fridgey thing where we stored the cokes was on crack because it basically froze the cokes, I loved it, a coke slushy on a hot day.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, nachomama said:

People keep telling me that seeing a professional live game is different, there's a rush from the people or whatever, nope. 

People told me that, too, so I went and it was still the most boring thing since watching paint dry.  Our office used to sponsor an annual day at the ballpark and I went once, then weaseled my way out of all the other times.  1) Baseball is boring as shit and 2) the Pirates are even worse.

Now hockey, I will go to a hockey game any time.  It's fast paced, exciting and, aside from the commercial breaks, nowhere near as long as a baseball game.  I've sat in seats all over the building, including box suites (when I won free tickets) and F level when I was 8 months pregnant (LOTS of steps) and every time it was great.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Back in the day when I was a kid, I went to a pro wresting event (WWF/WWE) with the neighbors.  Their son was so excited that he got to touch Bob Backlund on the shoulder.   That was before the Wrestlemania era, back in The Sgt. Slaughter, Iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff, days.   That is as close as I have ever gotten to any pro sports events.  

I have a PSL and season tickets for two seats at Nissan Stadium for the Tennessee Titans home games (NFL), and my oldest daughter and I catch every Nashville Predators (NHL) and Nashville Sounds (AAA minor league baseball) game we can.  We’ve discussed getting season tickets for the Predators as well, but haven’t pulled the trigger on that yet.

People keep telling me that seeing a professional live game is different, there's a rush from the people or whatever, nope.

Depends on the team (frequently) and the crowd (definitely).  At the Titans games, for example: the 100 sections are the “rich people” seats; I’ve sat there before, and those folks are dull as dirt.  My PSL seats are up in the 300s - the “cheap seats” - and we have a party pretty much every freakin game.  😎

the fridgey thing where we stored the cokes was on crack because it basically froze the cokes, I loved it, a coke slushy on a hot day.

Yummmmmm.

• Love 2

I feel like I would like live hockey. There's enough action and even if I have no idea what's happening I can scream about stuff. But once again my enjoyment is based on how much crap I can buy. Like if the company is giving us tickets AND a stipend I pretty much do not care what I'm watching. I want a drink or terrible food. (Not food that's terrible but food that's terrible for you...nachos, hot dogs, just pure garbage) but if I'm paying for it, I'm way too cognizent that it's garbage. If it's free garbage? Pile it on. And I'm talking balloons, hats, stupid stuff it is not fun unless there's swag. I have lived behind the baseball stadium here for 20 friggin years. I have never once been to a game. I could walk home to pee, I sit in my back yard for the free fireworks...have never been to a game. Because it is HOT, H-O-T hawwwwwwwwt. Stifling hot and humid, nope nope nope. We used to be the Sand Gnats and now we are the "Bananas"  and people tell me it's very fun now, they have the unlimited food night and apparently the banana guy is just super duper fun. They get grannies out of the audience to do the banana dance and all kinds of participation stuff, it's definitely more popular than it ever was when they were the Sand Gnats but guess what? it's still HOT.

• Love 1
(edited)
53 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

You have to pay attention when attending games.  Back in my high school days, there was a kid that went to a hockey game.  He wasn't paying attention and took a puck to the mouth.  He lost quite a few teeth.

The pro rinks are a lot better now about heavy duty plexiglass back guards and nets for the high ones now.  Pucks can still come off the ice, but they’re not getting out of the rink unless they’re going straight up - and then its return is a gravity drop vs. coming off a hockey stick at lightspeed.  

Back in the day, though...?  When I was about six years old I had an aunt and uncle who really wanted kids but hadn’t yet had any of their own, so they’d “borrow” my sister and me a lot and do movies, parks, etc.  My uncle was a diehard ice hockey fan, and he liked to take me to the Dixie Flyers games (a AAA minor league franchise) in Nashville.  They played at Municipal Auditorium downtown - and this was in the ‘60s; no plexiglass backguard, and the seat backs for the audience at Municipal were metal uprights with a couple of horizontal wooden slats.  
Anyway... at one game a puck came off the ice at about 100 mph, missed me by about 3-4 inches, and positively  disintegrated the wood slat across the top of the seat back beside me - and I do mean disintegrated, as in POW!!! and half of that wood slat was gone - turned into powder, not even splinters. Scared the hell out of Uncle Shelby, but 6yo me thought it was the coolest thing I’d ever seen. I don’t remember where that puck is now, but I held onto it for 20 years - It’s probably still sitting around my dad’s house, somewhere.  😄

Edited by Nashville
Typo
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Back in the day when I was a kid, I went to a pro wresting event (WWF/WWE) with the neighbors.  Their son was so excited that he got to touch Bob Backlund on the shoulder.   That was before the Wrestlemania era, back in The Sgt. Slaughter, Iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff, days.   That is as close as I have ever gotten to any pro sports events.  

This was my era, too.  Tito Santana, the late great Rowdy Roddy Piper and Mr. Wonderful, who just passed away.  My brother actually took me and his girlfriend to a match, but he got a little drunk and started a fight (he wasn't actually being a jerk, he was standing up for someone else) and so we had to leave before the main event.  I put it so far out of my mind out of embarrassment that I don't even remember who was fighting.

• Love 2

My husband, BIL and son went to a Pens game before the plexiglass all around.  We were sitting about midway up when a puck came straight at us.  I put my body in front of my son, my BIL put his body in front of me, all the while Mr. Max was completely oblivious.  It hit about two rows up, right into the knee of the guy sitting behind us.  The ushers helped him out.  

I've only ever been ice skating once in my life. I have no idea how ice skating/hockey is a big deal in Nashville. Every year here they turn the civic center into a skating rink for the month of December. My friends were visiting and we gave it a shot, we called it Navajos on ice. I only made it around the rink once because my ankles were killing me. There were tiny little kids whizzing by us and we were pretty much hugging the rail, but I did not fall. We laughed the whole time so it was worth it. But I have no idea how anyone learns to skate with that limited amount of time.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, nachomama said:

I've only ever been ice skating once in my life. 

Same here and I don't think I managed to stand up without help, let alone move on the ice.  

I am in awe of the figure skaters and hockey players to be able to balance on that thin blade, on and off the ice.

Yesterday I googled some of the places we lived when I was a kid. My dad worked for El Paso Natural Gas Co and it was a lot like being in the military, they moved you every couple of years and they provided housing so you moved into an identical house in a different place when you moved. They were always remote, usually about 30 miles to any town. When I was 3 we lived in Montezuma Creek, Utah. I had no idea how small or how remote this actually was. The current population is 335, holy cow! My sister graduated from high school while we lived there and she had to go to Blanding, Utah and it was 37 miles away. Maybe this is why my family is nuts?! I remember it was 90 miles to go to the grocery store from there. We would buy in bulk and shop once a month. We'd have fresh fruits or vegetables for about a week and after that everything was canned or frozen. We would get dry ice from the stores to get home and then my genius parents let us "play with it" when we got home. As in, if you stick a fork onto dry ice it squeals. If you run water on it, it smokes (everyone knows that) but if you suck the smoke with a straw it tastes like root beer, plus you kill a lot of brain cells because it isnt a good idea to INHALE CARBON DIOXIDE. So yeah, that explains a lot about why I'm a whackadoodle.

• LOL 2
(edited)
On 7/15/2021 at 7:14 AM, nachomama said:

I've only ever been ice skating once in my life. I have no idea how ice skating/hockey is a big deal in Nashville.

Funny thing about that.  Being in the South, ice skating is not an activity deriving a lot of support from the local climate; it rarely gets cold enough to freeze any significant local water bodies - or if they do freeze, it’s not to a thickness sufficient to support a person’s weight - as a few drunk idiots would invariably find out every year, to their family’s sorrow.  Every now and then when I was a kid the City department which oversaw Municipal Auditorium (where the aforementioned Dixie Flyers played) would get a wild hair up their collective asses, ice up the rink in the off-season, and open it up for public skating - but that would only happen once every few years or so; other than that, nothing.

Until the early ‘90s, that is, when the City built a multi-use sports facility in downtown Nashville on some land donated when a hospital shut down.  The facility was called Centennial Sportsplex (it sat right next to Centennial Park) and, among other things, featured TWO ice rinks.  Don’t know who approved THAT gamble, but it worked; the popularity of the rinks was explosive, and this was more than a half-dozen years before the Nashville Predators were even a notion - and when the Preds DID come to town, boy howdy.  There are now two other major rinks besides Centennial, and they all run skating lessons and ice hockey clinics year-round.

All of which I say merely to provide context to the statement that I was in my early 40s before I first ever laced up a set of ice skates; my youngest (about 12 or 13 at the time) wanted to give ice skating a try, and I wasn’t comfortable letting her get out on the ice by herself.  The things we do for our kids....  😆

P. S.: I didn’t break anything, although at times I wasn’t too sure about that.  Got pretty good at it by the end of that summer, though....

Edited by Nashville
Typo
  • Love 1

Well speaking of Ice hockey we are getting a new minor league hockey team. They’re building a new arena and part of it will be for the hockey’s. Hopefully we’ll get better concerts and shows as well. Not til 2022 though. 

• Love 2

Do I ever not have a weird weekend? Went to an Abba tribute show. Now, I thought it was a traveling show, like possibly kinda good. It was a train wreck but at least it was an entertaining trainwreck. Some local girls probably worship the Abba movies and sing it at Karaoke so they decided to stage a show. They could sing better than me but not the greatest harmonizers and really bad acting and speaking as a person with zero rhythm, even I could physically see them trying to stick to choreography and when your "choreography" is just "wytpeepo" dancing, oh dear lord, bless your hearts. They were having fun with it and it was an entertaining level of bad so I chalk it up as a win.

I do already have 1 person I know signing up for season tickets to the hockey. They haven't nailed down a name or even a price but he secured himself the rights to choose, if the tickets are too much for him then he'll pass. The baseball team is $15 and he says if they're $15-20 he'll go for it. I can't imagine as a start-up venture they'd be $50. So I could def see a few games. Hockey won't he hot or have gnats. Plus potential for fighting. He's from New Jersey and knows the hockeys so he's strategized where to sit, how high and in the middle so you don't have to turn your neck too much. I laughed.

• LOL 4

I had a video chat with my niece in prison. I literally refer to her as my prison niece. So weird. Anywho I'm so stupid, you have to test your wifi/internet and my house fails. I have crappy internet. So I drive to free wifi place and fails. Drive to verizon store where you can log into their wifi because they're gonna show you how awesome their service is...fail. Finally figured out you can't be plugged into the car while trying to do this phone call. So I had been in my car driving around to places for like an hour before the call started. I think I'm getting old, I can't program a vcr. So the main topic became her grandson. (My sister was 15 years old than me so my niece is 4 years younger than me and she had a kid at 14....kinda explains a lot about why she's in prison in the first place) So she's got a 29 year old kid with an 11 year old son. The 11 year old was googling how to emancipate himself. sheesh. He doesn't live with his mother, has lived with guardians almost his entire life. They are good people, love him to death. The pandemic has been very hard on him, mom and grandma both went to prison. Mom (my great niece has been in and out of rehab his whole life) is stable-ish at the moment. All he knows is he hasn't been to school in  a year, lives out in the sticks so he has no friends to go play with, can't go to karate or do any of his sports activities and he's tired of people telling him what to do. I laughed but I was also sad for this kid. Prison niece, his grandma, knows a thing or two about anger because he definitely inherited it from her...she just kept repeating "he's an angry kid" and I think there's maybe a year or 2 before this kid is in serious trouble with the law. My niece used to get soooo angry, like super fiery, instantaneous explosions. She fought with my sister once and went outside and punched a fence until her knuckles were all tore up. At 12ish she was fighting neighborhood kids and they were kicking her ass kicked in a big, big way and she came up screaming "that's all you got? I f*ck harder than you hit" it made me laugh because like "bish, you're 12!" but also heart breaking. I have no idea how we have avoided Jerry Springer/ Dr. Phil in my family.

I'm going to the Great Wolf Lodge! Am I dork or what? They have a sale on 8/4 where you can get rooms as low as $84 so I went online last night at midnight and booked us a "cabin" room. Cuz I'm 5. You have an "adult" side with a queen bed and I'm sure fairly swanky and then a cabin or a cave the kids can sleep in. Guess what? I'm sleeping in the cave. What a maroon. The room originally goes for $399 (didn't get $84 but 4 people and the cave, ha!) water park included. You have to book it today but you can stay (Mon-Thurs, only) (holidays are blacked out too) until Dec 6 I think. In case any of you are dorks like me.

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, nachomama said:

You have an "adult" side with a queen bed and I'm sure fairly swanky and then a cabin or a cave the kids can sleep in. Guess what? I'm sleeping in the cave.

Pictures required!

• LOL 2
22 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Pictures required!

What happens in the cave, stays in the cave. It's the law of the wolf pack. Also amongst "resort fee" charges are "wolf ears" for the kids...BISH! YOU DON'T GIVE ME WOLF EARS IMA USE MY MORE BETTER TO EAT YOU WITH TEETH

I got a whole daggone childhood to make up for here! When we travelled it was road trip only and we slept in the truck. My dad and grandma (mom was wise to bail on these trips) had a bed in the camper but my sister slept in the front seat of the truck, I slept on the fold down "bed" thing in the back seat (no padding/mattress) and we didn't eat out or get treats. Was just a cooler full of lunch meat, kool aid and grapes or whatever fruit. and some stupid chips. We drove from New Mexico to Calgary, Canada. I won't knock the Calgary Stampede as an adult but guess what? 5 year old me did NOT give 2 poops for that stupid rodeo. If I dont' get to touch the horsies and they don't eat a carrot from my hand, what good are the horsies?

• LOL 3

I've been to all those places throughout the Great Lakes & Poconos areas: Kalahari, Splash Lagoon, Dorney Park and Great Wolf Lodge. Kalahari has the best water slides, but Great Wolf has more varied activities. And yes, there are a few pairs of wolf ears around my house. 

The best part for grown-ups? Alcohol is sold liberally in all the parks. I slammed a few tall-boys of Goose Island and then floated down the Lazy River in a drunken haze. 

9 hours ago, nachomama said:

I got a whole daggone childhood to make up for here! When we travelled it was road trip only and we slept in the truck. My dad and grandma (mom was wise to bail on these trips) had a bed in the camper but my sister slept in the front seat of the truck, I slept on the fold down "bed" thing in the back seat (no padding/mattress) and we didn't eat out or get treats. Was just a cooler full of lunch meat, kool aid and grapes or whatever fruit. and some stupid chips. We drove from New Mexico to Calgary, Canada. I won't knock the Calgary Stampede as an adult but guess what? 5 year old me did NOT give 2 poops for that stupid rodeo. If I dont' get to touch the horsies and they don't eat a carrot from my hand, what good are the horsies?

I remember one hellish trip to Florida when I was about 11 or so. We drove from NYC, and my father had this weird plan where we would leave at 2AM to get there in 2 days. My parents bought soda (Pathmark brand, of course) and froze the cans for some reason, so of course they exploded. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, nachomama said:

I went online last night at midnight and booked us a "cabin" room. Cuz I'm 5. You have an "adult" side with a queen bed and I'm sure fairly swanky and then a cabin or a cave the kids can sleep in. Guess what? I'm sleeping in the cave. What a maroon.

We got a cabin one year! It had video games and a separate TV in the cabin part. Great Wolf really caters to the kids, so I kind of wish I could be a fly on the wall and see you there without children. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Superclam said:

We got a cabin one year! It had video games and a separate TV in the cabin part. Great Wolf really caters to the kids, so I kind of wish I could be a fly on the wall and see you there without children. 

I know the lagoons etc cater to various ages of the kids and I was like "yeah we won't be wandering childless around the lily pond, we don't wanna look like creepy weirdos". I pretty much wanna sail down the lazy river and drink as well.

I can't even imagine if any of our childhood vacations was actually about us kids. My dad and grandma just liked to take road trips. In my childhood we never went to any children's thing...not Disney... nothing. They liked historic stuff like forts and national parks (translation FREE) IF we came to a museum or site we generally just looked at it, didn't pay to go in. But the capitol building of whatever state, that just let you wander in, boom boring as hell but we went. My father wasn't paying a dime to occupy us and I didn't care about Old Faithful, it stunk like rotting eggs. Didn't even "go off" while we were there. I think we went to the Royal Gorge and my sister and I started walking across and got so freaked out that we crawled. I'm sure somebody's home video shows 2 hysterical kids looking like they're on hallucinogenic drugs. We also "locked" ourselves in a campground bathroom, (it wasn't locked it was just too heavy for us to open, so we're banging and screaming like we've been murdered and kidnapped. (Some random dude came and opened the door for us and we're just 2 idiot kids freaking out.)

• LOL 3

When I was a kid, we had 2 pretty good vacations, until asshole step-father #1 lost his job and refused to find another one.

We went to Canada one year and because I was such a nerd, I dug all the museums and such.  But their Sea World, Marineland, was totally awesome.  Another year, we did DC with a side trip to see cousins in NC. (Long side trip)  Again, the museums were totally awesome.

Other than a few weekends here and there, the only big vacation we've done as a family was a trip to Florida when the kids were small.  My BIL's aunt had a timeshare that we bought off of her for the week so it coincided with my SIL & her family's annual trip.  It was really great, other than the obligatory trip to Disney.  

Mr. Max cannot stand to be idle, so a vacation is hell for him.

I haven't officially been to disneyworld although we drove to Orlando in college and went to universal studios etc. I went to Las Vegas with some friends and we strolled most of the casinos on the strip but I wanted to get to the mirage I think, they have the aquarium thing you can walk under, the fish are all swimming above you. We didn't make it there. I nearly lost my mind because my friends wasted like 97,000 hours in the M&M museum. THEY'RE M&M'S FOR PITY SAKE. Yes you could buy fancy ones and get them personalized etc. They announced on every floor that you can make all your purchases at once, like hit all the floors and just one checkout but my dipshit friends kept waiting in line on each floor. HOW MUCH M&M CRAP DO YOU NEED???????? We went to the jousty show at Medieval times and on one hand cheesy entertainment but I did learn to like tomato soup. I hated it all my life, would never touch it. But I think I paid $45 for the medieval show (who knows how much it is now) and for me that was big money so you got like a cornish game hen, 2 potato wedges, a brocoli spear or two and tomato soup and like an apple tart. You better believe I was eating all of it. And the tomato soup was creamy something and maybe had cheese in it? it changed my mind on tomato soup.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, nachomama said:

I haven't officially been to disneyworld although we drove to Orlando in college and went to universal studios etc. 

I don't think you're missing much, but I was never a huge Disney person.  Plus I have 2 boys and at that time, it was nothing but Princesses.  A total waste of time and money.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Not much has changed, now I scoop cat shit out of a cat box.

That's the only sand I see now as well.  Like I said, Mr. Max cannot stand to be idle, so a vacation for him is hell.  But there I times I really do want to put him thru hell...

• Love 1
On 8/5/2021 at 2:19 PM, nachomama said:

I haven't officially been to disneyworld although we drove to Orlando in college and went to universal studios etc. 

I’ve never been to Disney World either - but I coded a sizable chunk of the control systems that ran EPCOT Center when it first opened.  😎

• Useful 1

Were your senior pictures in color? No, B&W. 

Did you have to raise money to help with the creation of your yearbooks, and if so, how was that money raised? We didn't have to, but there were advertisements & space you could buy. People bought space for them & their friends. 

Did you dress up for your yearbook picture? If a Black Sabbath t-shirt & old denim jacket are considered "dressing up," then yes! 

Final question.  Was there a picture or pictures in your yearbook that you thought were totally inappropriate to be in your yearbook. One kid went as a penis for Halloween - dressed all in pink, wore a pink hat and tied two balls to his feet. Other than that, not really. 

10 hours ago, Nashville said:

I’ve never been to Disney World either - but I coded a sizable chunk of the control systems that ran EPCOT Center when it first opened.  😎

In October 2001, right after 9/11, me & 2 friends went to Disney & Universal in Florida. No kids then. Honestly, we had a pretty great time. 

• Love 3

Were your senior pictures in color?

B&W

Did you have to raise money to help with the creation of your yearbooks, and if so, how was that money raised?

Nope; paid for with ads + what the students paid for the annuals.

One thing about the ads: yeah, everybody was annoyed at half the yearbook being taken up by them at the time – but when you look back at your annual now, a lot of those businesses were little mom-and-pop local places that haven’t been around for years. And it’s kind of nice to look back at them now and remember them.

Did you dress up for your yearbook picture?

Sophomore and junior pics, no; senior pics, yes.   They loaded up the entire senior class onto a few school buses and drove us to the photo studio they’d contracted for the senior photo shoot.   They wanted all the photos to be uniform - bust shots (head and shoulders), girls in drapes, guys in tux jackets and shirts -  and the studio rigged up each student before their shot, so we had guys wandering around wearing tux jackets and ruffle shirts over jeans and sneakers. 😄

Final question.  Was there a picture or pictures in your yearbook that you thought were totally inappropriate to be in your yearbook.

No - but then again, my tolerance levels might be higher than some.  😁

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Were your senior pictures in color?

Did you have to raise money to help with the creation of your yearbooks, and if so, how was that money raised?

Did you dress up for your yearbook picture?

Final question.  Was there a picture or pictures in your yearbook that you thought were totally inappropriate to be in your yearbook.

Senior pictures were in color. 

We didn't have to raise money, like @Nashville, what we paid for the books + the ad space sold covered the cost of printing.  

I didn't REALLY dress up, but I dressed nicer than usual.

I don't remember any inappropriate pictures.  

Funny story about my yearbook, I was looking thru mine a couple years ago and couldn't find myself.  Turned out I was looking under my married name.  😳

4 hours ago, Superclam said:

Did you dress up for your yearbook picture? If a Black Sabbath t-shirt & old denim jacket are considered "dressing up," then yes! 

THAT would have been awesome.  I forgot about school pictures one day and sent my son to school in an AC/DC Back in Black shirt.  It is still everyone's favorite school picture of him and even though he's about 16 years older now, I still have it on my desk.  BTW, he went full on Johnny Cash for his senior picture, black shirt, black tie, black suit.  😄

• Love 1

Senior pictures in color, semi-casual. I was on the yearbook staff for the last 2 years of high school. So i took a good many of the photos that went in the yearbook...some of them very bad. My photography teacher was in charge of all "group" photos, ie band, football teams, cheerleading squads. But us photo students could take the action shots of the games and the random pics from around school. I took a hilariously funny photo for the "queen of courts" it's like homecoming queen but for basketball. She was a ho and she's super out of focus. There literally was not one single shot I took of her that was in focus. hahaha To be fair I am blind and we had to take the picture inside the building under flourescent lights and my contact lenses didn't like that. Generally we'd go pose them in the courtyard with nice sunlight but the weather was bad that day. She kept insisting she was a virgin (everybody knew that wasn't true) so we had decided that she was like Superman, with her glasses on, she was a virgin, take the glasses off, boom she's a ho. So my photo of her was without glasses, thus fuzzy, thus ho. Although it doesn't make much sense since I was the blind one...anyway.....

We accidently got a shot of some dude climbing the bleachers whilst picking his underwear out of his ass. And someone took a picture of my sister picking her nose. She always insisted she was scratching her nose. Little did I know that for 30 years she was harboring murderous thoughts about my photography teacher. She thought my teacher took the picture or that my teacher vindictively put the photo in the yearbook. It was before I was on the yearbook staff so I can't guarantee some other student didn't put it in there to be mean but I know Mrs. Hall did not. The photo is NOT of my sister. It's a classroom picture and she's in the background. I don't think anyone taking the picture or even putting it in the yearbook even noticed her  until later. She's in the background. Last year when we were trying to have her committed they asked 4 question. 1. Do you want to kill yourself 2 Have you made a plan to do so? 3 Do you want to kill others? 4 Have you made a plan to do so? She failed the questions (as in not crazy enough to be put away for safety reasons) 1 yes 2 "not really, I don't want to hurt myself, like I don't want to shoot myself, cut myself etc." 3 yes Mrs. Hall 4. I wanted to take a gun to school and kill her.....in 1987 <-- 30 years ago doesn't count as a murder plot. I was flabbergasted.

Oddly we didn't have ads in our yearbooks. I don't know how our rinky dink town managed to publish a yearbook with no ads. Yes we paid about $20 for the yearbooks and they were the smallest possible pages you could get. They sucked mightily as well. Just terrible, terrible execution, content...everything and yes I include my own efforts.

• Useful 1

I know I talk too much anyway but my senior photo, I purchased a peach colored sweater, like really saved up for this damn sweater. And my friend Elizabeth's mom was a Mary Kay rep. So went to Liz's for makeup and hair. Oh dear sweet mother of Pete, my gawd what that woman did to me. Mimi from the Drew Carey show had not yet been invented but I got enough blue eye shadow to cover Cleveland and some serious rouge and lip liner. I wiped most of it off but I'm still a clown. She also did prom make up.......my hair is seven miles high and when I showed a group photo of us 4 girls to my mom. My mom lifted her glasses and yanked the thing up close to her eyeballs and then held it very far away and exclaimed "who are these huzzies?!" We look like saloon girls,  big hair and poofy 80's dresses but my lord that woman was a menace with a makeup brush

• LOL 5

I have a question, what were the most common names amongst the people you grew up with? Beyond the classics, Elizabeth, Mary, Sarah, Mike, David, Christopher. This might date us cuz names are kinda fashionable, in the 80's lots of Heathers. We had at least 5 Michelle's. Brian's were popular. There arent too many Ruth's, Brenda, Karen those have fallen on hard times. For some reason when I hit college there were lots of Leslie's both male and female. I'm from a weird state where names are unusual. There was a whole family that names all the kids Mar-something. Marsylvia, Marsherri. like they gave them a regular name but felt like it needed to be prefixed with a Mar, I have no idea why.

Jennifer, Michael, Steven, David, Andrew, Michelle. I knew plenty of those. 

In high school, there were 2-3 Dylans and 2 Zoes. Both of those were names I hadn't heard up until then. 

Now it's a lot of Sophias, and in my neighborhood, Tenzin. 

1 hour ago, nachomama said:

I have a question, what were the most common names amongst the people you grew up with?

Diana/Dianne, Julia, Lisa, Lori; Mark, Michael, Steven, William.

1 hour ago, nachomama said:

There arent too many Ruth's, Brenda, Karen those have fallen on hard times.

Don’t expect Karen to make a major comeback any time soon.

Or Kyle, for that matter.