Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, Nashville said:

“Any relation to Tony?”  😆

Friend of mine just made that same joke. It's killing me!

Makes it so hard to take this dude seriously when he keeps saying Tommyhawk. Kinda like in high school I went to the make out spot with a guy and he was so nervous and fidgety that he was fiddling around with the steering wheel...big old chevy pickup, like maybe 62? ish? Huge steering wheel like on a bus...he somehow stuck his head in between the spokes(?) and I had to go around to the other side of the truck, behind him and smoosh his ears and try to tug his giant noggin back out of the steering wheel. Hard to take him seriously after that. I learned on my trip home, he apparently died of an overdose quite some time ago. He had some very sketch moments after high school, his father died in a mysterious house fire, people had said they think steering wheel head did it.

Edited by nachomama
6 hours ago, nachomama said:

Friend of mine just made that same joke. It's killing me!

Makes it so hard to take this dude seriously when he keeps saying Tommyhawk. Kinda like in high school I went to the make out spot with a guy and he was so nervous and fidgety that he was fiddling around with the steering wheel...big old chevy pickup, like maybe 62? ish? Huge steering wheel like on a bus...he somehow stuck his head in between the spokes(?) and I had to go around to the other side of the truck, behind him and smoosh his ears and try to tug his giant noggin back out of the steering wheel. Hard to take him seriously after that. I learned on my trip home, he apparently died of an overdose quite some time ago. He had some very sketch moments after high school, his father died in a mysterious house fire, people had said they think steering wheel head did it.

Wow, I don't know if I should laugh or be sad for this one.  

4 hours ago, madmax said:

Wow, I don't know if I should laugh or be sad for this one.  

Go with laugh - it works for me.  The image of Jimmy Joe trying to un-smoosh his head back through the steering wheel and car-dooring his ears in the process?  Jesus and Buddha both want you to laugh at that.  😁

• LOL 2

I laugh, it has honestly been my best "worst" date story for eternity. Even though alllllllllll my stories have some whacky twist, I tell them for the funny. He gave me the best "line" of all time too. We were at his house and obviously he didn't know how to kick off "festivities" so he turned off the lights. We sat there for a while and eventually he says "If I knew where your lips were, I'd kiss you" seriously, rolling on the floor with laughter. It's my go-to if ladies are ever telling their cheesy lines stories. 

Tommy Hawk guy just said "garmits" instead of "grommets" OMG I won't survive today.

Edited by nachomama
I'm stupid as a box of rocks
  • LOL 3

Tommy Hawk is NOT a country bumpkin, this is my boss' brother. I know where and how he was raised, as in education etc. My boss does not speak like this, his parents did not speak like this. But I'm over here picturing him as Jethro Bodine, with a see-ment pond

But reminds me of a story....(here it comes, ha!) We went to visit this lady in South Carolina, sweet woman. She's showing us her house (Very Graceland vibe in the sense that it had been decorated in the 70's and hasn't been touched since) She showed us her son's "stupid" glass collection (it was stubens) and I thought she was making a cute joke. She also started telling us a story about "Aint Ghoolie" (Aunt) and no clue what Ghoolie is supposed to be a nickname for, that's phonetic spelling. She said all the kids used to love to go spend the night at Aint Ghoolie's house, she was just the most fabulous cook and so much fun. Aint Ghoolie was married twice but had no children, both her husbands died young. but she was the best mama to all the cousins etc. The phrase she kept throwing out was "Aint Ghoolie didn't had a place for a man" which I kinda took to mean that in a different time and age maybe Aunt Ghoolie wouldn't have been married to a man, maybe her boat floated in a different direction. So her husbands were a "nuisance" or you got married because you had to? But she said it several times "Aint Ghoolie didn't had a place for a man" Lo and behold Aunt Ghoolie died death certificate explained she was perhaps a hermaphrodite or somehow anatomically incorrect in the downstairs. She "literally" had no "place" for a man. This lady whose telling the story is just laughing at the notion of the poor husbands who just find this out on their wedding night. I loved that woman so much

• LOL 3

Watching Indiana Jones this weekend. First one I do not know what year it’s supposed to be. But obviously the nazis are the bad guys and it’s not after the war but I do not know exactly how much before. So Indiana Jones part 2 comes on right after and it states 1935 and I always assumed it took place after part 1. So how far back was part 1?  Hitler only became fuhrer in 1934 so am I nuts or have I stumbled onto historical inaccuracies? I mean Indiana Jones is real life. 

The second one (Temple of Doom) takes place before the first one (Raiders of the Lost Ark). Probably about a year before. Last Crusade takes place in 1938. 

Temple of Doom is my favorite, which is not a popular opinion. Last Crusade is my least favorite and I don't even acknowledge the next one. 

5 hours ago, Superclam said:

The second one (Temple of Doom) takes place before the first one (Raiders of the Lost Ark). Probably about a year before. Last Crusade takes place in 1938. 

Temple of Doom is my favorite, which is not a popular opinion. Last Crusade is my least favorite and I don't even acknowledge the next one. 

I remember when Temple of Doom came out, they were very insistent that it was before Raiders so that fans could still think he ended up with Marion.  Guess they gave up on that for Last Crusade.

I put Last Crusade slightly above Temple of Doom.  Raiders is first, obviously.  And that's how I rate ALL of the Indiana Jones movies, all three of them.  😉

• Love 1

I gathered that it took place before once I googled after work. But to my childhood mind I would never have known that. But yeah if willie came first then how did they fall apart enough for him to go get romantic with Karen Allen in the original recipe? And what the hell happened to short round???! 

• Love 1

Why do I make everything so hard? I went to MacDonalds to get a drink, didnt want to use a card for just a $2 charge so I gave the girl $20, I thought I had change, I didnt. I don't usually try to do that to people, in fact, 99% of the time I do not have cash on me. The girls handed me $2.86 back. I said I gave her a $20 and gave her everything back. She said she thought I gave her a $5, I was like nope a 20 is all I had on me. She handed me back a bunch of bills which I thought was $17 so I was waiting for her to give me back the .86. She looked at me like I was stupid. I said I should have .86 she said she gave me $18. I knew that put me ahead, as in I wouldn't be paying tax on my transaction but it wouldn't add up in her drawer at the end of the night. She said "give me a dollar back" so I did, again expecting her to give me .86 and once again she looked at me like I was stupid. So I just said, "never mind, don't worry about it" and drove away. Wasn't worried about .86, still not right but I aint holding up the line and I'm not trying to Karen the girl. I hear her trying to explain and I can't tell if she's just annoyed with me or about to cry. Once again, I am not trying to get anyone in trouble or make anyone's day any harder than it normally is. I explained to the kid now handing me my drink "I'm not fighting over this, shoulda been $17.86 change but It's not worth the time or effort, thanks" and moved along. I don't think she did it on purpose, I think she was multitasking, and I certainly wasn't trying to scam her. I'm positive I only had a $20 because I never have cash. oi vey!

When I was 12 ish I started working at the concession stand for the little league baseball. My dad was the umpire, I had to be there anyway might as well get some free nachos. The lady taught me to never put the bill in the drawer until they walk away. Most people were buying popcorn, a coke, nachos or pickles, we didn't have much it was usually a couple dollars. We did not charge tax, it was straight up .50, 1.00 or 1.50. Most people weren't handing me $20 but if they did, she taught me set it to the side. COUNT THE CHANGE BACKWARDS...if you gave me $5 and it was .50? I did .50-.75- $1-2-3-4-5. I get it, nobody has to do that anymore. We didn't even have a register it was just a box. if you had to do the math you could use a scratch pad. BUT in the off chance that somebody said "oh that was a $10" versus what I thought they gave me, the bill was still sitting there..hadn't put it away.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, nachomama said:

I think she was multitasking, and I certainly wasn't trying to scam her. I'm positive I only had a $20 because I never have cash. oi vey!

I’m amazed she didn’t call ‘Rick’ over, I love this film 😁

• Love 1
13 hours ago, nachomama said:

Most people weren't handing me $20 but if they did, she taught me set it to the side. COUNT THE CHANGE BACKWARDS...if you gave me $5 and it was .50? I did .50-.75- $1-2-3-4-5. I get it, nobody has to do that anymore. We didn't even have a register it was just a box. if you had to do the math you could use a scratch pad. BUT in the off chance that somebody said "oh that was a $10" versus what I thought they gave me, the bill was still sitting there..hadn't put it away.

When I used to work retail, in the deli/bakery of a grocery store where you could pay for those purchases right there, that's what I was taught.  Put the bill on the top of the register tray and count the change backwards.  Same thing when I worked with my mom at her craft shows.  You count the change backwards.  That way, less chance of a screw up.

Had to stop in the office today, so I had to put on hard pants.  Couldn't figure out why I couldn't get them down easy when I went to the restroom.  Oh yeah, I have to unbutton these...

10 hours ago, madmax said:

Had to stop in the office today, so I had to put on hard pants.  Couldn't figure out why I couldn't get them down easy when I went to the restroom.  Oh yeah, I have to unbutton these...

haha! I mock your hard pants.

When I watched Dune I was considering how long it might take to go potty with the suits. I know the suits "recycle" so I guess you just kind "go" in the suit which isn't ideal but I was wondering the configuration of the "suit"

Edited by nachomama
  • LOL 2

My friend Marcy was at the Cowboys game on Sunday. shame. I've mocked her for eons about the fact that she...as a native american...is a cowboys fan. Even her mother laughs because I'm all "Marcy! cowboys and indians? which are you?". Her whole family is so bizarre, her mom is a cardinals fan, which makes sense it's the closest geographical team. Her dad was a 49ers fan. Her sister is dolphins (because they were "cute") when she was a kid. Niece is Patriots....people, you're all over the map, what gives?

In record breaking time, my niece has been kicked out of rehab. sigh. send her back to jail, just don't let her jerk her kids around any more. (she refused to take what they prescribed for her) Not methadone, she's not currently strung out, I'm sure it's nothing addictive and I don't think her refusal is not based on any holier than thou "I'm a recovering addict and I don't put anything artificial in my body" I think it's pure stubbornness and refusal to follow the rules. She doesn't want help, she thinks she cured herself and is only doing this because its court mandated. It's court mandated for a reason.

panic of the day, my last paycheck showed $0 and the deducted $542 for something. I was like "what??????????" havent' been able to get anyone to call me back, duh thanksgiving. Now they tell me when my supervisor put in my vacation time he bumped me from "full" time to "part" time and that means my benefits are no longer "covered" so full premiums out of my pocket which is more than I actually get paid. I believe it was an accident, I believe it can be corrected. but holy smokes!

I went down a rabbit hole this weekend, first I wanted to check Eagles tickets then I saw Alison Krauss and Robert Plant were playing with the Eagles and hot diggity I would run over my own grandmother to go see that in Hyde Park in London in June. Not going to happen but schoogly moogly I wanna. I think I will venture the alison/robert thing in atlanta without the eagles. that is doable. I've seen alison Krauss maybe 3 times? I did have the album they did several years ago. I'm more alison than robert plant but you know you support your people.

39 minutes ago, nachomama said:

If you could...any time, anywhere who would you want to see in concert or whatever? Would you have wanted to be at original woodstock? Live Aid? any person or group who tops your lists? from all time?

Hendrix

Zeppelin

Black Flag

the Who in the 60s

Probably 100 more if I thought about it. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, nachomama said:

If you could...any time, anywhere who would you want to see in concert or whatever? Would you have wanted to be at original woodstock? Live Aid? any person or group who tops your lists? from all time?

Concerts I wished I'd seen: 

Led Zeppelin right after Led Zeppelin II or III

Black Sabbath with Dio (saw them with Ozzy)

Soundgarden with Chris Cornell

Stone Temple Pilots with Scott Weiland

Alice in Chains with Layne Staley

Silverchair after their first album

AC/DC with Bon Scott

• Love 1

Autograph? hell I'd tell my mom to sleep with them, all of them. Just for royalties. :D

I'd like to see any of those before they were any of those, they may have been the Beatles but they werent' THE BEATLES yet. Elvis before he was Elvis

I may have stumbled over Kurt Cobain. My aunt and uncle lived in Seattle and between my junior and senior year my mom sent me to spend the summer with them. They lived on 14th st which was blocks from "broadway" which was apparently the cool street in Seattle. I did not know this of course but when I met cousins of a similar age on my aunt's side she gushed that omg going to broadway was where all the cool people were. When my aunt didn't take me to work with her I would stroll down there. I think also "Say Anything" was filming all around Seattle that summer and I coulda been stalking John Cusack. 6-7 years later they were filming "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil", here (horrible movie) I walked out of my apartment with my laundry basket and this car drove by and in my head I was thinking "is that guy in one of my classes? he seems familiar" and then nearly dropped my laundry, it was friggin John Cusack. Perhaps he's been stalking me?

• LOL 3
39 minutes ago, madmax said:

Soundgarden with Chris Cornell

Saw them twice, once on Louder than Love (opening for Danzig) and once on Badmotorfinger. 

39 minutes ago, madmax said:

AC/DC with Bon Scott

This definitely goes on my list! 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

I was born six years later, I could have been ‘The Real’ JPM’s half brother 💰💰damn, knowing my luck she would have gotten off with Pete Best 😔

That would make you the most rare bastard! A real collectors item.

• LOL 2
On 11/29/2021 at 7:57 AM, nachomama said:

panic of the day, my last paycheck showed $0 and the deducted $542 for something. I was like "what??????????" havent' been able to get anyone to call me back, duh thanksgiving. Now they tell me when my supervisor put in my vacation time he bumped me from "full" time to "part" time and that means my benefits are no longer "covered" so full premiums out of my pocket which is more than I actually get paid. I believe it was an accident, I believe it can be corrected. but holy smokes!

We’re you able to get this straightened out?  If not, a call to your state’s Dept. of Labor might be in order.  While right-to-work states grant a LOT of leeway to employers in terms of how much they can unilaterally jerk around job specifics on their employees, I think Federal labor laws may come into play if the employer’s shenanigans result in the employee’s paycheck going into the red and/or earning less than minimum wage; that’s too close of a shout back to the days of work camps and company stores which were designed to create a de facto form of indentured servitude.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

I love your positivity 😁

You know me, a veritable plethora of positivity. Actually now that I think about it, you'd be much much rarer if you were a Brian Jones bastard. Work on that.

Supposedly paycheck is fixed. We'll see tomorrow when I go log in to see what my direct deposit is supposed to be. I fully believe it was an accident.  I don't know if a "computer" or a people saw 21 hours (in a week) and put that in as "pay period" which is 2 weeks. I did vent that someone owes me $28 for a late fee on a credit card. I'd rather get that than have my property taxes bounce.

• Love 2

My direct deposit shows my paycheck as $72.08 which is at least a step in the right direction. Im not in the negative. I didn't think it would be corrected for this one because the time card was submitted last saturday. Now, if they issue a correction, or how long that takes I dunno.

Plus somthing bit me. When I got home from work last night I placed my hand on the rail of my porch and there was a big ouch. Something flew (or fell) but I didn't see what (spider, bee etc) I think it's too cold for bees but I don't know what critters are out and about at the moment. I watched it and it didnt' really swell and I'm not dead so I ruled out the scarier spiders

12 hours ago, Superclam said:

I was wondering where that was going, but I really enjoyed that! 

What is it they say about the simple things in life? Synthesisers- Pah,

Its amazing how effective a little bell can be

• Love 2

I thought it was going in a “squeal little piggy” direction. 
ok eagles tickets anywhere else but here run from $129-$149 low end. Here? Lowest $265 wtf?! Too rich for my blood. For something that is not exactly the greatest love of my life. I was going to give it a shot because I’ve never seen anyone/thing that is “legendary” I’ve been to big-ish concerts. First ever show was indigo girls, then hootie and the blowfish. Ive seen Alison krauss 3-4 times in different incantations. The down from the mountain tour, her own band. I’ve seen the dixie chicks probly 3 times. I was at the infamous first show back after the big London kerfluffle that was in Greenville sc and we had our tickets way before the incident. I do not know if there’s anybody I’d be willing to pay $300 to see. 

• Love 2

The only concert I’ve ever been to was Paper Lace in 1970 something, obviously dragged there by Mother. I did take her to see Il Divo and Andre Rieu, paid for front row seats on both occasions, just over $1000 for two tickets each time 🤢. The face value was about $100 per ticket, which is why all touts 💩 should be hung by the neck outside of the venues 💀

I haven't been to a show since 2019. Iron Maiden at the arena in Brooklyn was over $150!! Prices are ridiculous. 

I saw OM in December 2019, and tickets were about $35. No seats, but a much better viewing experience and slightly cheaper beer. 

14 hours ago, nachomama said:

I do not know if there’s anybody I’d be willing to pay $300 to see. 

They'd have to resurrect someone for me to shell out that much to see someone in concert.

Truthfully, there are very few commercial artists I'd want to go see in concert right now.  We did just go to see Delta Rae in a small venue here, tickets were $25, which isn't bad.