Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

You guys know the Kemp brothers of Spandau Ballet" played the murderous, British gangster brothers, the Krays, in the movie of the same name?

No, I can safely say I did not know that. 

12 hours ago, Superclam said:

Spinal Tap was a parody of 80s metal, not so much 70s glam rock. They did such a good job that a lot of people thought they were a real band. Anyone's who has been in a band can relate to at least one gag in Spinal Tap. 

"If I told them once I've told them a hundred times, to put Spinal Tap first and puppet show last.” 🤣🤣🤣

10 hours ago, Superclam said:

Lol, "Shadupa You Face" was a minor hit here in 1979 or so. I remember it was popular in summer camp that year. I have no problem with novelty songs. 

Summer of ‘81 I was working kitchen in a bar to put myself through college and keep gas in my Malibu; that song was in the regular band’s playlist, and boy howdy you ain’t had fun until you’ve seen a bar full of drunk-off-their-ass Nashvillians singing that song along with the band. 😄

10 hours ago, Superclam said:

I've never heard the Ultravox song. I tend to not like that kind of mid 80s "new wave" or whatever you call that Spandau Ballet-esque kind of music. 

Not me; I embraced the hell outta Ultravox, Spandau Ballet, Roxy Music, Human League, English Beat... all that shit.  Mainly, of course, because (a) it was the ‘80s, (b) I was in my 20s,  and (c) if you wanted to get laid by girls who listened to that shit, then YOU listened to that shit. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I like Safety Dance. I hate everything Phil Collins/Genesis related. About 1986, that's all that was played on the radio. 

I tend to not like that 80s music mentioned above. I did come to greatly appreciate The Smiths. I like the Cure. I don't like Depeche Mode beyond the occasional song. 

5 hours ago, Nashville said:

Human League

I love "Fascination." 

I'm also a huge Specials fan. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Nashville said:

(c) if you wanted to get laid by girls who listened to that shit, then YOU listened to that shit. 

I dated a girl who was into Midge Ure, which is a funny name when pronounced with a thick New York accent. 

• LOL 2
(edited)
On 6/26/2020 at 3:38 AM, AngelaHunter said:

They're good, too.

They were pretty decent, it’s just a shame the film took such liberties with what, and when things actually happened. 

On 6/26/2020 at 6:50 AM, Nashville said:

Summer of ‘81 I was working kitchen in a bar to put myself through college and keep gas in my Malibu; that song was in the regular band’s playlist, and boy howdy you ain’t had fun until you’ve seen a bar full of drunk-off-their-ass Nashvillians singing that song along with the band. 😄

😱

Edited by OoohMaggie
(edited)
On 6/26/2020 at 6:50 AM, Nashville said:

and (c) if you wanted to get laid by girls who listened to that shit, then YOU listened to that shit. 

My Barry Manilow period was excruciatingly painful, yet amazingly rewarding at the same time 😜

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 1
18 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Bands don't play no more... 

Too much virus on the dance floor... 

😂.... honestly, I think you’re onto a winner there, you should contact the record label and suggest a re-release, incorporating relevant lyrics like that. I’ll be happy with 20% 💰

• LOL 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

😂.... honestly, I think you’re onto a winner there, you should contact the record label and suggest a re-release, incorporating relevant lyrics like that. I’ll be happy with 20% 💰

I agree. Superclam, I really think you could at least be a YouTube star if you complete this song!😀

2 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

They were pretty decent, it’s just a shame the film took such liberties with what, and when things actually happened. 

Yes. I did look up the Krays after seeing this movie. It could easily have been so much better than it was, but I still enjoyed the Kemps' performances, and of course, Billie Whitelaw is always a treat, IMO.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

I prefer to stay behind the scenes. As the old joke goes, I have a face for radio... 

I get that, but you don't need a face. Just Google a bunch of images that suit the lyrics and voila! You're viral!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I get that, but you don't need a face. Just Google a bunch of images that suit the lyrics and voila! You're viral!

Viral, squared!

I'm a super dork, I bought the neck fan you see advertised on the tv. It's got 2 little fan thingies and you wear around your neck, to cool you down if you're cooking, or maybe hanging out poolside. I brought it to work because holy crap it's hot. When my machine and my boss' machine are both cranking full speed it generates a lot of heat in my office. Last week he set up a floor fan...FOR THE MACHINE. I get it, the machine itself can't overheat but jesus point it my way just a little. It's USB charged so I don't have to have an enormous stash of batteries. and I won't officially "wear" it, it can just sit on my desk.

We were going to watch Hamilton this weekend but it doesn't actually come out until next weekend so we got super drunk on wine and watched "Cats". Like we knew it was going to be so bad that we needed to half drunk to start with. Yes it's weird and it isn't something I'd sit around and watch all day but it's no weirder than the actual show.

• LOL 1
14 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I assure you I have no skills beyond writing a technical report and playing the basslines from the first 4 Black Sabbath records. 

• LOL 3
10 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Back in the 60s, it was all about musical talent, looks didn't matter.  That ship sailed long ago.  Now, it is all about looks, and talent doesn't seem to matter anymore.

Oh, I've been saying that for so long. Now, success is dependent on having great hair, great teeth and being attractive. I have never watched "America's Got Talent" but saw a short video on YT with Susan Boyle, where Simon Cowel said, after he heard her sing, "I was all prepared to hate you." I guess because she wasn't a generic-looking, conventionally pretty, toothy, busty 20-year old? And they cry and cry!

I hate to think how people like Bob Dylan or Joe Cocker would have fared if their success hinged on being good-looking and getting a thumbs up from the All-Powerful God, Simon. Or Ellen DeGeneres. 😏

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

There are still a lot of good bands, and plenty of crap. A lot of the bands I like now tend to sound like the 60s and 70s bands I like. 

I once saw Right Said Fred live. They lip synched their one song, and then did it again. They didn't even try to pretend. Luckily, I was absolutely hammered. 

Edited by Superclam
  • LOL 2

Frankie goes to Hollywood was essentially telling you not to premature ejaculate. Relax, don't do it. ...when you wanna you know.

and do you think Pearl necklace is truly about pearl necklaces? we know afternoon delight is about a nooner. but some of these I'm not sure.

• LOL 1
On 6/30/2020 at 5:56 PM, Superclam said:

I once saw Right Said Fred live. They lip synched their one song, and then did it again. They didn't even try to pretend. Luckily, I was absolutely hammered. 

I’m trying desperately to think of an occasion where one could have possibly seen RSF live, without being held at gunpoint that is, absolutely hammered doesn’t even come close to a believable excuse 😂

• LOL 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I never understood why anyone had any issue with Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

It was actually banned by the BBC from being broadcast on their pathetic channels, just like ‘Sexual Healing’ by Marvin Gaye, to be fair though, ‘relax’ wouldn’t be something i would have liked to have had to explain to my young teenage child, not that I’ve ever had one.

I wonder what the BBC would make of the great band ‘Pearl Jam’ 😱

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

It was actually banned by the BBC from being broadcast on their pathetic channels, just like ‘Sexual Healing’ by Marvin Gaye, to be fair though, ‘relax’ wouldn’t be something i would have liked to have had to explain to my young teenage child, not that I’ve ever had one that is.

I wonder what the BBC would make of the great band ‘Pearl Jam’ 😱

A few years ago my niece was over and we were watching an ep of "Sex and the City". She told me she'd never seen it. I was surprised then she said she never watches anything when her dad is there, because it's too embarassing, including commercials. I'd never thought about that, but it's true. When I was a kid the whole family could watch every show without worrying about locker-room or bathroom humour or commercials where douches are being waved around or erectile dysfunction being discussed. Sad, it is.

As for explaining, my co-worker told me her very young son came to her in her kitchen and asked, "Mom, what's a Maxi-pad?" I remember during the Bill Clinton kerfuffle thinking that now children have to be prevented from seeing the news, unless you wanted them to get a very early education about extramarital affairs, semen stains and blowjobs. What's a parent to do?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, Nashville said:

Stick it out until the chorus, at least.

There’s a chorus? 😱

I do have to admit it did grow on me,it was quite tuneful, I’m loving the ‘Viking’ look going on.  UTube being what it is, you have to follow link after link, I’ve never heard of Mushroom Head or Rotting Christ before, they all look like an offshoot of the Silent Hill franchise, some weird shit going on there. 
Im pretty sure this type of music has a name, I’d love to know what it is.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

Nooner???

I little lovin' while the sun is shinin' 

24 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

There’s a chorus? 😱

I do have to admit it did grow on me,it was quite tuneful, I’m loving the ‘Viking’ look going on.  UTube being what it is, you have to follow link after link, I’ve never heard of Mushroom Head or Rotting Christ before, they all look like an offshoot of the Silent Hill franchise, some weird shit going on there. 

The chorus was surprisingly melodic. That is closer to what I like. Lately I've been listening to what might be called "stoner metal." To me, they're bands that sound like old Black Sabbath but are still playing. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

There’s a chorus? 😱

Yup! 🙂 The chorus is the main reason I thought of it in relation to the discussion at hand - it seemed relevant:

You just want a pretty face
To sing you a song
A lullaby that turns you on
But it's all so vain
So criminal
Do you really want
A mannequin idol?

4 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I just think of it as metal.  Nu metal, maybe, if you want to get really specific.

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Like a fungus?🍄

You might want to get that checked.  From the coloring it looks to be a bit painful.

Notice you didn’t actually comment on the SONG at all....  😄

• Love 1
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I hate that song with a passion.   I know the words are a reference to sex, but the way it is sung is anything, but sexual.

That's what I love about "Afternoon Delight". It sounds so innocent and sweet until you really listen to the words. But really, isn't an afternoon delight sweet? Well, from what I remember about such things it was, or is. 

Listent to the words of Prince's "Little Red Corvette" if you want explicitly sexual. 😮

2 hours ago, Superclam said:

Or "Darling Nikki" if you really want to go there. 

Good lord. At least in old, or older, songs they used clever innuendo and euphemisms when singing about sex or drugs. That one is just nasty.

(edited)
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

IMO, Into the Night

I have never seen that video until this moment, although of course I'd heard the song, "Ode to Pedophilia". It's yet worse in that he's 34 there and looks at least 50. That line, "She's just 16 years old, leave her alone" was actually spoken, Mardones claims, by him to Robert Tepper with whom he was writing songs, about a real 16-year old named Heidi who was "dressed for school in a miniskirt, little stacked heels, adorable, 16-going-on-21." 😒

Or maybe it was the other way around. Who knows what the real story is? I didn't know Benny died this year.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Is there a music video?  Askin' for a friend.

Can I meet this friend? Asking for a friend. 

12 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Good lord. At least in old, or older, songs they used clever innuendo and euphemisms when singing about sex or drugs. That one is just nasty.

Yes, Prince was a musical genius. Lyrically, not so much. 

Remember the 70s disco classics "Push, Push In The Bush" and "Baby, we can do it, take your time, do it right?"

15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

That was a song? 

Different strokes for different folks, dude.  Sorry you’ve gotten too old for rock - but don’t feel bad; I’m sure Kenny G is streaming something from his apartment....  😁

• LOL 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, Superclam said:

The chorus was surprisingly melodic. That is closer to what I like.

Now I get why you’re not a huge Depeche Mode fan.

22 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

You might want to get that checked.  From the coloring it looks to be a bit painful.

It’s cool, I’ve had worse 🙄

18 hours ago, Nashville said:

I just think of it as metal.  Nu metal, maybe, if you want to get really specific.

I think of Metallica as being ‘Metal’ which probably has the hardcore wetting their leather undergarments in amusement 😒

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

I think of Metallica as being ‘Metal’ which probably has the hardcore wetting their leather undergarments in amusement 😒

I would call Metallica metal, hence the name. Metal has a lot of different sub-genres and labels, many of which are determined by lyrical content and/or fashion. 

I've always just liked what I like. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Nashville said:

Yup! 🙂 The chorus is the main reason I thought of it in relation to the discussion at hand - it seemed relevant:

Any other bands / songs you’d recommend in the same style? By that I mean songs with a good tune, and not just screaming vocals.

1 hour ago, Superclam said:

I would call Metallica metal, hence the name. Metal has a lot of different sub-genres and labels,

Well that’s what I mean, every time something changes in a particular genre of music, however slightly, it usually comes with a new name, nobody ‘new’ wants to be associated with the old farts of the previous six months. I just assumed things would have moved on 😊

• Love 1

Aw hell no - Metallica is solidly rock of the ages.

Any other bands / songs you’d recommend in the same style? By that I mean songs with a good tune, and not just screaming vocals.

Oh, there’s truckloads - check out:

• I Prevail
  • Korn
  • Motionless In White
  • Godsmack
  • Bring Me the Horizon
  • Disturbed

...etc., etc. - and those are just the ones I’ve seen in the past year.  😎

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Happy 4th of July to our American friends!

😱, as a Brit I could be really offended by that comment 😆,  but as a proud Englishman, who absolutely loathes anything and everything that has a connection with anything ‘royal’ in regards to my country, I truly believe that kicking those assholes back across the Atlantic was, apart from the Big Mac, the best thing you guys have ever done! 🍔🇺🇸

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Nashville said:

Aw hell no - Metallica is solidly rock of the ages.

Well I’m glad about that,  I thought that ‘The Sound Of Silence‘ by Disturbed was fantastic, i’ll certainly check out  your other suggestions.

• Love 2

as a Brit I could be really offended by that comment

"Happy 4th of July" is now offensive? I mean, I know nearly everything one says or thinks is now going to cause offense to someone/something on the planet, but I figured that was pretty safe!😄

• Love 2
11 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Happy 4th of July to our American friends!

happy-4th-of-july-gifs.gif

Thank you.  In celebration of same, apparently several dozen of my neighbors are simultaneously attempting their own individual one-person recaps of the entire Revolutionary War; at least I assume that’s what they’re trying to do, because it sounds like we’ve been under a fucking artillery barrage for the past two hours and counting.  Can’t walk the dogs outside for shit - literally.  🤬

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Nashville said:

Thank you.  In celebration of same, apparently several dozen of my neighbors are simultaneously attempting their own individual one-person recaps of the entire Revolutionary War; at least I assume that’s what they’re trying to do, because it sounds like we’ve been under a fucking artillery barrage for the past two hours and counting.  Can’t walk the dogs outside for shit - literally.  🤬

Not sure if you are referring to fireworks or "other" but  I was hoping you all could have one peaceful day. Guess not. 😒

• Love 1

There were plenty of fireworks going off here last night, and for the last 2 weeks or so. It's interesting, because they're illegal in this state. They were far enough away that it wasn't too bad, noise-wise. 

We often spend the 4th at my m-i-l's in Michigan, where fireworks are quite legal and sold everywhere. It sounds like WW3 from the 3rd through the 5th.