Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Several years ago when I was walking around the block, a lady stopped me as she was driving by and asked me I had seen her new puppy.  Apparently, she had let her puppy out and when the puppy heard fireworks, ran off.  I assume she eventually found her puppy.

From what I've heard and seen, many humans (you know - the species with the big brains) aren't smart enough to properly care for guppies, let alone dogs. I hope the puppy found a better home.

If it doesn't offend people now, wait ten minutes.

Twenty minutes at the most.

• Love 2
On 7/4/2020 at 1:48 PM, OoohMaggie said:

Well I’m glad about that,  I thought that ‘The Sound Of Silence‘ by Disturbed was fantastic, i’ll certainly check out  your other suggestions.

Love this version. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If it doesn't offend people now, wait ten minutes.

It was only ‘comedy’offence, we’re cool with our American allies, we do however have an issue with the usual suspects, the French 😆

21 hours ago, Superclam said:

It's interesting, because they're illegal in this state.

😱 OMG, who doesn’t love fireworks? Who and why brought that in? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

😱 OMG, who doesn’t love fireworks? Who and why brought that in? 

I'm assuming it's for safety reasons. It's silly because you can drive a few hours to Pennsylvania where fireworks are legal and cigarettes are cheaper. (You have to go to a special store for beer, though.) 

Also, in NJ and Oregon you can't pump your own gas. No idea why. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

I'm assuming it's for safety reasons.

No doubt. People can't be trusted not to blow their faces or fingers off, or let little children get too close. They must be protected from themselves.

2 hours ago, Superclam said:

Also, in NJ and Oregon you can't pump your own gas. No idea why. 

I wish it was like that here. Standing in freezing winds of January pumping my own gas is not one of my favorite things.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Me.  I shouldn't have to listen to fireworks for three solid hours, disturbing me and my pets when I am trying to sleep.   I am not alone in not liking all of that loud noise.

100% with you on the noise, and I can barely see them from my window, so I just get explosions every 5 minutes from 9-11. It looks like rain tonight, so maybe it'll be quiet. 

• Love 2

I think people went bananas with their own fireworks shows this year because most public shows were cancelled. I don't have pets but I know critters freak out when the sky starts exploding so I wish people could chill with that but hopefully we are done for now.

I watched Hamilton and I liked it but then it depressed me. It's not like it doesn't tackle "big issues" of the times, it's not "about" slavery but there are a few mentions. but hot damn does it drive home the fact that white male privilege always wins. We know that many founding fathers owned slaves, Washington and Jefferson among them. Alexander Hamilton didn't "own" them but did sell slaves for his in-laws and is there no man on this planet that can keep it in their pants? It's stupid of me to get mad that Hamilton was blackmailed about an affair when I went into the play knowing he'd had at least an "emotional" affair with his sister in law. So I know he's a got a love triangle but then I'm angry that he fell into a trap with a hussy? He so completely threw his wife under a bus by publicly announcing his affair in order to not lose his job. sigh. So I liked it and yet I hated it.

5 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

In these uncertain times I am surprised that people would waste their money on fireworks.  And yes, most house pets don't react well to fireworks.

Yeah I'm not doing too much extraordinary spending, you never know when the shoes gonna drop. I think people have just had so much "nothing" that they need really big "booms" so I guess if you're not out at Target throwing stuff on the ground or punching a cop I guess you need excitement and that's fireworks.

We think my supervisor from the work-from-home job may have covid. He had gone to the site to help someone fix a computer and she's been exposed and he wasn't feeling well. He was getting the test yesterday. He's young and healthy I don't really fear for him but healthy people have died. But we have been working from home since March so we haven't been exposed.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

How is WW going for you?

Not bad, thanks for asking. Early on in this pandemic work-from-home thing, I decided that I would NOT let it be an excuse to go off my diet and eat and drink whatever I want, although I certainly get the urge to do just that. I'm sitting around a lot more, but I'm taking a long walk everyday and working out with weights, so I've only put on maybe 2 pounds. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, nachomama said:

Yeah I'm not doing too much extraordinary spending, you never know when the shoes gonna drop. I think people have just had so much "nothing" that they need really big "booms" so I guess if you're not out at Target throwing stuff on the ground or punching a cop I guess you need excitement and that's fireworks.

With my stimulus money, no vacation and no summer camp, I have more $$ than I usually do this time of year. But like you said, I'm not 100% that I'll have a job in 6 months, so I'm not going crazy and buying something I really don't need. 

Like you said, people have nothing to do. Bars and restaurants aren't really open yet, so people who are still working have extra $$. I've heard there's a surplus of fireworks given that big events aren't buying them, so they're going for cheap. The good news is that I didn't hear a single one last night. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

In these uncertain times I am surprised that people would waste their money on fireworks.  And yes, most house pets don't react well to fireworks.

Surely it’s about live and let live, we can’t live our lives worrying about everyone and everything that doesn’t like or enjoy something, as long as things are done in moderation. My cousin’s dog hides under the stairs on November 5th for an hour or so, but one hour per year is just something that I’m afraid it has to deal with, like it or not. 

• Love 1

I do has a question for the englishy type person. We have 4th of July and Canada has a Canada day and I think virtually all countries that were once under rule of Britain we all go "yay no more britain" but what do you celebrate?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, nachomama said:

"yay no more britain" but what do you celebrate?

NOTHING, any more. All holidays and celebrations have just turned into sleazy, grasping advertising blitzes. Now Halloween and Christmas (oh, sorry. I mean "The Holiday) overlap so badly you need to put out pumpkins and tacky plastic Santas at the same time. Here in Canada the only holiday that has not become nothing but buy buy buy is Thanksgiving.

So, pretty much this my feeling:

holdiday.jpg

• LOL 1
On 7/6/2020 at 5:56 AM, icemiser69 said:

One of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes is The Obsolete Man.

I watched a few episodes over the weekend on Decades, and that one was my favorite one.

That’s one of my favorites as well - right up there with “Time Enough At Last” (also featuring Burgess Meredith) and “An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge”.

On 7/6/2020 at 8:31 AM, OoohMaggie said:

😱 OMG, who doesn’t love fireworks? 

My dogs.  One of them is now petrified at the notion of going out after dark, to the point of “accidents” in the house.

• Love 3

So, I took off work last week - had to, actually.  A couple of weeks ago I realized (a) I hadn’t taken a single day of annual leave this year to date, and (b) between...

1. My normal use-or-lose annual leave accrual;
  2. An additional annual leave balance I got restored when my scheduled annual leave got cancelled December before last due to the federal government shutdown (which would expire this year if I didn’t use it);
  3. Some additional annual leave hours I’ve received over the past few years as performance awards;

...I had over six weeks worth of annual leave I had to burn off over the next six months.  I think you can guess how well THAT little news tidbit went over with the boss.

In any case, I had my first time off this year.  We aren’t doing any vacation traveling this year, of course, so I had all kinds of plans for things around the homestead that needed doing.  Yessiree, the upcoming week was going to be a banner gettin-stuff-done kind of week...

At least, that’s what I was thinking when I got off work Friday before last.  My first order of business after I clocked out Friday was to mow the lawn - and while I’m taking a shower afterwards, my wife comes into the bathroom and says, “Your sister needs you.”

Turns out that literally about a half-hour after I clocked out, my nephew and his girlfriend were in his pickup when they got T-boned at a road crossing by a motorcycle.  The Ninja was originally clocked at about 120mph (in a 45mph zone) by a cop sitting in a parking lot; when the cop pulled out of the parking lot and hit his lights, the cop said THEN the motorcyclist punched it - so the Ninja was doing something in the neighborhood of 140mph when it topped a rise and came upon my nephew’s Dodge Ram pulling out from a side street.

At 140mph you’re moving a shade better than 200 feet per second, and it was right around 200 feet from the top of the rise to the cross street; plenty of time to stop if you’re going the speed limit, but not at 3x the speed limit.  Figure in the motorcyclist lost about 2/3 of a second for simple reactIon time, and he didn’t have a chance; a Kawasaki Ninja weighs about 500 pounds (1/4 ton) wet, and there was simply zero opportunity to change the inertia of that mass at that speed in the 1/3 of a second he had left.  The rider tried to lay it down, but that was simply a change in attitude; the bike flat broadsided the truck’s driver-side (left) door at full speed.

To say the rider was killed instantly is an understatement; he was destroyed - scattered in 4 or 5 primary pieces across the asphalt.  My nephew’s girlfriend was sitting on the truck’s passenger (right) side opposite the point of impact and was largely unhurt, other than a minor concussion and some bruises.  It took Rescue over an hour to extricate my nephew from the wreck; the bike impacted so hard it was merged into the truck, and in the end they basically had to cut off the truck’s entire left side to get at him.  Nephew had to be LifeFlighted to Vanderbilt Medical Center (the nearest Level 1 trauma center) and undergo surgery to fix a broken left femur (thighbone), some broken toes and a dislocated left elbow - but he survived.

The surgery went well (they had to put a titanium rod in the femur), and my nephew  is expected to make a full recovery; he is going to be several months on walking appliances, though - which is how I came to spend my first week off this year at my nephew’s house, helping my brother-in-law convert them deck stairs to a handicap access ramp to the house.  Fun stuff, eh?

Dayum. The thing about motorcycles is they are so inherently dangerous to begin with, if you pile on anything, you're done for.

I was coming to complain about my toe, no clue what I did to it, but hurts like a mofo. But I guess that's kinda no big deal compared to getting wedged into a truck. If I kicked something wouldn't I remember? No I didn't have that much to drink, now I'm beginning to suspect I got bit by something because it seems to be travelling. Yesterday it felt "jammed" and now it's swollen and burning and seems to have moved further down to a joint. Is there a "toe-vid 19?"

• LOL 2
7 hours ago, Nashville said:

It took Rescue over an hour to extricate my nephew from the wreck; the bike impacted so hard it was merged into the truck, and in the end they basically had to cut off the truck’s entire left side to get at him.  Nephew had to be LifeFlighted to Vanderbilt Medical Center (the nearest Level 1 trauma center) and undergo surgery to fix a broken left femur (thighbone), some broken toes and a dislocated left elbow - but he survived.

I'm sorry to hear your nephew and his g/f had to be injured and traumatized because some bozo wanted to play Evel Kneival. How fortunate they were in a truck and not a small car.

2 hours ago, nachomama said:

Yesterday it felt "jammed" and now it's swollen and burning and seems to have moved further down to a joint.

Check out symptoms for "gout".

On 7/7/2020 at 8:05 PM, Superclam said:

And that is the key. Who determines what is moderate?

One of the most important words in English law is ‘Reasonable’.  What does the average person consider reasonable? Whether that be in regards to behaviour, beliefs, responses or actions. Enjoying fireworks for an hour or two once a year would fall within reasonable, one or two nights every week would not, depending obviously upon where you were and how much annoyance was being experienced by others.

On 7/7/2020 at 8:32 PM, nachomama said:

I do has a question for the englishy type person.

As an “Englishy type person” The only time of the year we celebrate with fireworks is the 5th of November, known as bonfire night, or more correctly Guy Fawkes night (please search it’s too long to explain)

We do celebrate other dates, mainly to do with the 1st and 2nd world wars, they’re more acts of remembrance and respect, there are certainly no fireworks involved.

If it were confined to the week of 4th of July I pretty much let it go. But damn they were setting them off weeks in advance, still setting them off now. It's less and, I get it, people really need something to do with their time.*  but I live where the rednecks shoot off their guns to celebrate. Somebody put a hole in my roof! Don't know when it was but I got all concerned because all of a sudden there's a big leak in my entry way. Roofer comes to check and says I have a perfectly round hole, probably the bullet lodge in it and later fell out. He shoved some tin up under the shingles and poof my roof was repaired. But still WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN YOU IDJUT! Fire a gun in the air and that bullet is coming down somewhere. Stay the fuck away from my house.

*My recent endeavor...homemade sushi! It actually didn't suck! We made the sticky rice. We have some crab, avocado, cucumbers, seaweed wrap. got those lil matte thingys.  and we rolled. Our rice-to-stuffing ratio was off but hot diggity it tasted like sushi. I made a spicy sauce, I couldn't find that pickled ginger stuff but, oh well. We didn't want to mess with raw tuna or what have you so we went crab and then we will do some tempura shrimp later since that was successful. We also made pound cake. When I was a kid I hated anything brown, as in the crust of bread or the ends of meatloaf or pound cake. Since I'm a grown up I now know that the corners of the pound cake are the very best thing.

• Love 1
On 7/7/2020 at 8:48 PM, icemiser69 said:

But it isn't about live and let live.  At least not here for a very long time.   There are a lot of people with a screw you attitude that only care about themselves, their wants, their needs, and don't give a damn about anyone else.  They have no mental capacity to have a civil conversation.  They walk around with blinders on doing whatever they want without thinking of anyone else.

Three hours of non-stop fireworks from 8:00pm thru 11:00pm is too much, and no one should have to put up with that much noise for that long.   The people that set them off for three solid hours jut don't give a shit.  It is all about them.

I understand your opinion, I have to admit that three hours of fireworks doesn’t strike me as being particularly excessive, as long as it’s not night after night. Three hours once a year? I can say honestly that I would find it very difficult to find a problem with that.

On 7/8/2020 at 8:22 AM, Nashville said:

Turns out that literally about a half-hour after I clocked out, my nephew and his girlfriend were in his pickup when they got T-boned at a road crossing by a motorcycle.  

Sorry to hear that, I hope all turns out well 🙏

• Love 2
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

One of the most important words in English law is ‘Reasonable’.  What does the average person consider reasonable? Whether that be in regards to behaviour, beliefs, responses or actions. Enjoying fireworks for an hour or two once a year would fall within reasonable, one or two nights every week would not, depending obviously upon where you were and how much annoyance was being experienced by others.

I'm playing Devil's Advocate because I generally agree with you, but who gets to determine what's reasonable? Often a very vocal minority gets to decide. In a city, how loud do you get to play your music, and until how late? 

20 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

I understand your opinion, I have to admit that three hours of fireworks doesn’t strike me as being particularly excessive, as long as it’s not night after night. Three hours once a year? I can say honestly that I would find it very difficult to find a problem with that.

This wouldn't bother me personally. People with pets? Small children? People with PTSD? That might affect them differently. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, nachomama said:

*My recent endeavor...homemade sushi! It actually didn't suck! We made the sticky rice. We have some crab, avocado, cucumbers, seaweed wrap. got those lil matte thingys.  and we rolled. Our rice-to-stuffing ratio was off but hot diggity it tasted like sushi. I made a spicy sauce, I couldn't find that pickled ginger stuff but, oh well. We didn't want to mess with raw tuna or what have you so we went crab and then we will do some tempura shrimp later since that was successful. We also made pound cake. When I was a kid I hated anything brown, as in the crust of bread or the ends of meatloaf or pound cake. Since I'm a grown up I now know that the corners of the pound cake are the very best thing.

That is impressive. Chefs in Japan train for years just on the rice alone. I was wondering where you got fresh tuna in New Mexico, but then I read your post more carefully. 

Now I want sushi! 

18 minutes ago, Superclam said:

That is impressive. Chefs in Japan train for years just on the rice alone. I was wondering where you got fresh tuna in New Mexico, but then I read your post more carefully. 

Now I want sushi! 

I will clarify, it was edible. Pretty sure elsewhere we'd get laughed at. some stayed together enough to make it to your mouth, some did  not. I bought the seaweed online, picked up at the store so it was hard for me to gauge how much I needed or how big the sheets were. I didn't have enough. At the store where I used to work we had a sushi guy and I pretty much just watched him for years. How he sliced the veggies, etc. we did laugh at my cucumber being a little crooked. I think a secret to the sushi rice is that you're supposed to put a little rice wine vinegar on the rice after it's cooked. We went very sparingly because I was thinking it would be overwhelming but I added more later. And I did stick my boobs in the rice. I was reaching for something and at the end of the night there was a lot of rice flying when I unhinged my bra.

6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Nah, I can't go there.  There is a baby down the street that swings a pretty mean rattle, and I know she can kick my ass, even while wearing a wet saggy diaper.  The baby wearing the wet saggy diaper, not me.  That said, I am not that far away from wearing diapers myself.  Everything else is sagging, so it won't matter if my diaper sags.

That's why I don't go to the beach anymore,  I don't want any of my body parts dragging through the sand.

I’m pretty sure we’re right about the same age - and it’s ok if anything drags, so long as you‘re still able to tell it’s dragging.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

In other news - my wife had surgery Wednesday on her left foot, which means she has to depend upon me to be her primary caregiver for the next few months until her foot is cleared to be weight bearing again.  Poor lady.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 7/9/2020 at 5:05 PM, Superclam said:

I'm playing Devil's Advocate because I generally agree with you, but who gets to determine what's reasonable? Often a very vocal minority gets to decide. In a city, how loud do you get to play your music, and until how late? 

It depends upon whether the problem is dealt with ‘on the street’ or within the legal system, on the street it’s anyone’s guess. But legally 
I absolutely get your point, ‘precedent’ has a great deal to do with that, but to take your comment about music and how loud and how late it can be played. I’m no expert on the subject so please cut me some slack, because the playing of loud music however late is not considered a crime, if reported and legal action is taken, it is dealt with in court on a civil basis by a judge, or justices of the peace, they are appointed to that position because they are deemed to possess the wherewithal to be able to assess what the average person would call reasonable, mainly because they are supposed to come from a background more in tune with the ‘average person’.

More serious offences are generally judged by the jury system in a criminal court, where twelve good and true men and women, hopefully encompassing all elements  of society, can bring their own ideas of what could, would be called reasonable, in respect to whatever charge was laid. 

(edited)
On 7/9/2020 at 5:05 PM, Superclam said:

This wouldn't bother me personally. People with pets? Small children? People with PTSD? That might affect them differently. 

I fully understand that, but where do we draw the line between fairness and unfairness? As I said, live and let live, nobody can expect to have everything go 100% their way all of the time. This is why decent human beings will always get along, with the occasional problem obviously, but get along we will, even if they do savage Maggie’s accent 🤗

Edited by OoohMaggie
On 7/9/2020 at 11:44 PM, icemiser69 said:

Nah, I can't go there.  There is a baby down the street that swings a pretty mean rattle, and I know she can kick my ass, even while wearing a wet saggy diaper.  The baby wearing the wet saggy diaper, not me.  That said, I am not that far away from wearing diapers myself.  Everything else is sagging, so it won't matter if my diaper sags.

🤔

Any help with that will be greatly appreciated 😋

• LOL 1
20 hours ago, Nashville said:

In other news - my wife had surgery Wednesday on her left foot, which means she has to depend upon me to be her primary caregiver for the next few months until her foot is cleared to be weight bearing again.  Poor lady.

@Nashville I wish the best to both of you. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Nashville said:

She's just lucky she's not alone! I'm sure your Florence Nightingale act will be successful.

• Love 1

Wham's "Careless Whisper" reminds me of getting dumped at the middle school dance. One of those afternoon in the school gym dances. Wham in general because that was the first tape I ever bought on my own. Chicago 17 is way up there too. Brian Adams brings up feelings of hate. Oooo Tiffany

"My Sharona" reminds me of sitting in my dad's truck with no power steering and I was bopping along turning the steering wheel back and forth and stood up to really get my groove on and my foot found a fishing hook on the floorboard of the truck, it was some kind of 3-pronger.

One sunny day we were sitting in the grass near my house and we were singing some Depeche Mode "People are People" and my friend Crystal was placing twigs in my hair because I had enough mousse in my hair to freeze dry my lovely super curly perm...so I dunno what the hell I looked like, a wig made of leaves? Anywho a gold station wagon drove by us and turned around and came back. We were sort of laughing thinking he had to come back for a better view of my twig hair... he gets out and he's wearing overalls, drops his straps and exposes himself to us. We run screaming, me losing most of my beautiful leaves along the way. So Depeche Mode reminds me of a dude waggling his junk at us. Good times.

I chopped off all my hair yesterday, it was getting so hot. I haven't had a haircut in like a year, it was just a mess that I had to tie up in a ponytail in order to not have sweaty hair on my forehead and neck all day so why not. chop chop

• Love 1
7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

What song or songs instantly teleports you back to your childhood memories?🎸

Depends on whether you mean as a chronological memory association marker, or as representative of my internal dialogue/mental state at the time.

If the former, then the Doors’ “Riders On the Storm” (https://youtu.be/iv8GW1GaoIc

If the latter, then Drowning Pool’s “Bodies” (https://youtu.be/04F4xlWSFh0)

• Love 2
5 hours ago, nachomama said:

I chopped off all my hair yesterday, it was getting so hot. I haven't had a haircut in like a year, it was just a mess that I had to tie up in a ponytail in order to not have sweaty hair on my forehead and neck all day so why not. chop chop

Same here; my hair had gotten past my shoulders - which, for an old man who’s gone mostly gray, is a rather interesting look.  The old lady actually liked the look, but when driving my Wrangler open-air I was getting tired of being beat to death by my own hair.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Same here; my hair had gotten past my shoulders - which, for an old man who’s gone mostly gray, is a rather interesting look.  The old lady actually liked the look, but when driving my Wrangler open-air I was getting tired of being beat to death by my own hair.

ZACTLY! My hair was always in my eyes

Music wise, anything Lawrence Welk-ian reminds me of my mom. She loved some Liberace and Lawrence Welk. Why? I'll never know. And apparently my mom was the person who always misunderstood lyrics. She loved to sing Mairzy doats and doazy doats and little lamzie divey. Which is a built in joke but my mom would forever scream at us about something she thought she heard, bad word in a song and we'd show her the real words. We were watching the MoTown 25 where Michael Jackson moonwalked on tv for the first time and my mother starts screaming that some girls' boob popped out on tv. We had to back the tape up several times and it was Randy Jackson, a boy, who had on a wife beater tank top and yes his nipples were showing but he's a dude. So she called Janets wardrobe malfunction like 10 years too early. The point of the story is my mother never got anything right.

My father was a Tennessee Ernie Ford, Jim Reeves and Hank Williams kinda dude. Hank Jr he couldn't stand because he was just leeching on his dad's name and he hated anyone who redid a Hank Williams song. He liked Patsy Cline and she did "Your cheating heart" and he couldn't stand to listen to it but he liked Patsy. Patsy is the only one I've been able to overcome my automatic "have to hate it because my dad liked it" person. He hated Dolly Parton, not sure where he stood on Loretta Lynn.

We were not allowed to have posters and music stuff. I got an Alabama record one year and Crystal Gayle but we weren't allowed Michael Jackson posters or Madonna, I did buy my Wham tape but that was my money. My sister got the soundtrack to Grease but I think they thought because it was set in the 50's that it was wholesome. Clearly my parents were idjits because they never listened to the damn thing. I remember my sister telling me there were bad words and I argued with her. Pussy wagon was one (which made no sense to me, why would cats need a car?) Shit and tit were in there and I do remember watching the movie and wondering why John Tabolta was running around with saran wrap. I learned much later that apparently if you were lacking a condom in the olden times you wrapped it up on cling film. I laughed and laughed and laughed. speaking of misheard lyrics in "beauty school dropout" I thought the line was "Mr. McTermsin flunked shampoo" which was actually "missed your midterms and flunked shampoo" OoooOooo another one, we loved Sha-na-na, I guess they had a show and we'd go to bed but then my mom would wake us up for Sha-na-na. I apparently adored Bowser. I was a weird kid.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

People Are Strange, is probably my favorite.

The words ring so true to this day. People ARE strange when you're a stranger and places do look funny when you're alone.

7 hours ago, Nashville said:

If the former, then the Doors’ “Riders On the Storm”

Fun fact (if you didn't know it already): That song influenced the creation of the 1986 Movie, "The Hitcher", one of the scariest movies I ever saw. John Ryder. Get it? Do ya, huh?

R.I.P. Rutger Hauer. You were one of a kind!

• Love 3

Songs that remind me of specific times:

"Brother Louie" reminds me of being in a car with my family when I was about 5. 

"All Shook Up" reminds me of driving to Florida with my family when I was about 9 or so. 

"Double Dutch Bus", "Electric Avenue" and "Mr. Roboto" remind me of summer camp at 13 & 14. 

I could go on for hours... 

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Superclam said:

"Double Dutch Bus", "Electric Avenue" and "Mr. Roboto" remind me of summer camp at 13 & 14. 

I could go on for hours... 

Electric Avenue reminds me of watching Friday night videos, we had no MTV and our only access was to watch late nights on Friday nights, loved me some Eddie Grant and they used to play B-52's Rock Lobster. And Mr. Roboto reminds me of my dad, not because he listened to anything remotely rock and roll but because he had been in the Navy and went to Japan so was always saying to us "Domo Arigato, Ichi ban debi chan" which means "thank you very much, number 1 fat boy"

Funky town reminds me of going to day camp at my grandma's house when we would visit in the summer. There was essentially nothing fun to do at my grandma's house, no toys, no kids so they'd send us to the local elementary school that had a half day where you could do crafts or slide around on the scooter things in the gym, sometimes get out that parachute thing where you'd toss it up and run under it. I remember them blasting Funky Town while we glued popsicle sticks together.

Long car rides wouldn't be music it's Paul Harvey's "and that's the rest of the story" my dad listened to that.

Edited by nachomama
  • Love 1

'Nother one, in kindergarden the kids on the bus taught me "We don't need sex education, we don't need no birth control" so I thought those were the words.

I also remember seeing a poster for the local football team, Bloomfield Bobcats and whoever their opponent was and the bobcat was stomping on the other dudes helmet. And the caption was "Another one bites the dust" and I remember being so confused. I had no idea what that particular turn of phrase meant and it seemed quite stupid to me. I knew it was a song, I kinda hated the song, just didn't know what it meant. I also didn't know what it meant on "Gimme a Break" (Nell Carter sitcom) when the daughter yelled at her "Get a life" another phrase I'd never heard before, it seemed real dumb but it became very popular. I really wasn't very bright, was I?

• LOL 1

A lot of people seem to crap on Styx.  I never understood why.  Granted, some of their music is a bit unique.  Still, I like a wide variety of music and Styx is a band that I do like.

They can be a little sappy or cheesy at times, but I like a lot of their songs. To be fair, Queen can be totally sappy or cheesy at times, and people suddenly worship them. I think we're all old enough to remember when Queen were as unpopular as can be. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

A lot of people seem to crap on Styx.  I never understood why.  Granted, some of their music is a bit unique.  Still, I like a wide variety of music and Styx is a band that I do like.

I liked Styx in general , but they did catch a LOT of shit for Kilroy Was Here - and not undeservedly so, because it was a blatant (and musically inferior) attempt to cash in on the “theme album” concept which had been such a success  for Pink Floyd’s The Wall

7 hours ago, nachomama said:

'Nother one, in kindergarden the kids on the bus taught me "We don't need sex education, we don't need no birth control" so I thought those were the words.

“No dark orgasms in the classroom...”

(my crowd was in high school at the time)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

“No dark orgasms in the classroom...”

(my crowd was in high school at the time)

What I learned in 7th grade, from giggling and whispers in the coat room, was the word "horny" which according to my classmates meant you were "ready". Read for what, it took me quite a few years more to find out. Yeah, we couldn't look up explicit sex anywhere in those days, something for which I am glad.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1