Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I can hear the guffaws already, the acting is terrible, it’s got the most pathetic fight scene in cinematic history........American Graffiti 

I can't recall much of it, but I do remember I loved that movie!

No one is guffawing. Hey, I'm the person who really enjoyed 'Waterworld', remember? (well - it was FUN!) Unlike the pretentious drips on IMDB, who will give the worst, dreariest, boring, crappola movie 10/10 because of the sheep-like "Emperor's New Clothes syndrome, (e.g., "The Shape of Water"??) I don't care about anything else if I like the movie.

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Airplane was a very good movie.  I don't think it holds up all that well today.

I don't know about that. Will the line, "Have you ever seen a grown man naked?" or the scene in the disco ever be not funny?

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

On another subject entirely, I have a huge chipmunk problem

What are they doing that makes you want to drive them away? I could understand if it were squirrels, which ruin and destroy everything (I did find a way to keep them from digging up my flowerpots) but chipmunks are the cutest little buggers ever.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

No one is guffawing. Hey, I'm the person who really enjoyed 'Waterworld', remember?

“No one” may be stretching things a bit, but I share your pain with regards to Waterworld 😄

2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Unlike the pretentious drips on IMDB, who will give the worst, dreariest, boring, crappola movie 10/10 because of the sheep-like "Emperor's New Clothes syndrome

Don’t get me started on critics, a lower form of life I’ve yet to encounter, I truly wish all ‘critics’ were pinned to the floor, and a steamroller driven over them, very slowly, from toe on upwards.

“I don't know about that. Will the line, "Have you ever seen a grown man naked?" or the scene in the disco ever be not funny?”

For me, it never will, just look al Laurel & Hardy, they’re fast approaching a hundred years of making us laugh, yet laugh I still do to this day.

Edited by OoohMaggie
2 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

For me, it never will, just look al Laurel & Hardy, they’re fast approaching a hundred years of making us laugh, yet laugh I still do to this day.

Well, I'm glad they're making you laugh. Laughter is so important. It seems lots of grown men still laugh at the Three Stooges. It's something that women cannot understand. 😄

Each to his own. It would be pretty boring if everyone liked the same thing. I cackled like a lunatic at "Sixteen Candles".

One night my husband and I were flipping channels and landed on the inane, vulgar "Dumb and Dumber". "What is this stupidity?" I asked, but we ended up watching it all, laughing our heads off. At the end we asked each other, "What the hell did we just watch?"

4 hours ago, Nashville said:

if you had any idea how many times a WEEK I use the phrase “Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue”

I use that too. 😆

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Given all of the horrible real world crap going on today, I can't imagine that line ever being used in a film again.

There was horrible crap going on in those days too but we still had comedies and comedians because people had a sense of humour, unlike now when everything and anything - unless you're mocking Nazis -  WILL offend someone or some entity, somewhere on the planet and maybe even on other planets.

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

“Ever been in a Turkish prison?”

"Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?" 😆

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Well, I'm glad they're making you laugh. Laughter is so important. It seems lots of grown men still laugh at the Three Stooges. It's something that women cannot understand. 😄

I don’t believe that for a second 😂

Stan & Olly, the Stooges, the Marx Bros, to this day they’ve never been bettered.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

That's my point.  Having a conversation now in this era is like walking on eggshells.  It won't end well.  Misspeak in anyway, and unfortunately there is no going back.  It seems like some are looking for any reason to be offended.

Sorry. I misunderstood. Of course you are absolutely right. "Protect the easily offended: Ban everything."

49 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

Stan & Olly, the Stooges, the Marx Bros, to this day they’ve never been bettered.

Not a big slapstick fan, although I loved all that when I was a kid.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Starz Encore is airing Young Frankenstein tomorrow morning.  I haven't seen it.

You, sir (ma'am?) are in for a treat. 

The Producers, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein and High Anxiety are all comedy classics. 

• Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Not a big slapstick fan 😱although I loved all that when I was a kid.

That makes sense, for I’ve never really grown up, it has it’s downfalls but the positives far outweigh those 😁

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 1
(edited)

I didn't get a chance to watch Young Frankenstein.  I was outside all morning trying to figure out how to stabilize my hibiscus.  

Maybe it’s just me , but  🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 3
On 6/19/2020 at 6:21 PM, icemiser69 said:

Starz Encore is airing Young Frankenstein tomorrow morning.  I haven't seen it.

Oh, buddy, are YOU in for a treat.

”Would you like a role in the hay?”  😄

On 6/20/2020 at 11:30 AM, icemiser69 said:

I didn't get a chance to watch Young Frankenstein.  I was outside all morning trying to figure out how to stabilize my hibiscus.  

They got pills for that now.  😂

Watch for a repeat broadcast of YF - I promise, it’s worth the wait.

• LOL 2
On 6/20/2020 at 8:32 PM, icemiser69 said:

Where I grew up as a child, a few towns away from there was a nudist colony.  I don't know if it still exists or if it just "petered" out.

Mmmmm......... not getting that  🤔

59 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Peter" is another slang word for dick, although I don't think it's used often anymore.

Well that’s one I’ve never heard before, and as that’s the name of the detested half brother that lives in Ottawa, I’m positively overjoyed 😁

• LOL 3
24 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Meaning, Penis slang in all its forms.

Well, thanks for that, I guess.

Baloney pony

😆

28 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

Well that’s one I’ve never heard before,

Maybe a North American thing.

26 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am glad that we can kid around with each other around here without anyone getting offended.

You'd have to try really hard to offend me. I grew up in a time when absolutely no one gave a shit if your little feefees got hurt.  You could sulk and get over it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

Well that’s one I’ve never heard before, and as that’s the name of the detested half brother that lives in Ottawa, I’m positively overjoyed 😁

You always knew your brother was a dick!

• LOL 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am surprised.  Given your posting history, I would have thought for sure that you would be a connoisseur of all things penis. 

I have to admit, that is The most amazing, and funny thing anyone has ever said to me 🤣, and my posting history? Much like yourself, it is very, very hard for someone to say something that actually offends me, life is waaaay too short for a few words to make a difference. I do have to admit one thing though, that I don’t fully understand whether your comments are genuinely innocent, or deliciously razor sharp 🤔, either way you’re onto a winner!

2 hours ago, nachomama said:

You always knew your brother was a dick!

Half brother, and not until we fell out.

Sometimes I think I am being a smartass, when in reality I end up coming across as a jackass.

When haven’t we all?

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I'm also pretty hard to offend, but I'm easy to offend others! 😝 

It’s also a skill which which I seem to have been blessed , as for ‘Peter’, I’ve honestly never heard of it before, and once being an English schoolboy, I’m pretty sure I’ve heard them all 😁

• LOL 2

and my posting history?

Considering your lust for our dear girl, Maggie, I would be very surprised if you were a connoisseur of all things penii (penal? Penist?) unless it's your own. 😄

Much like yourself, it is very, very hard for someone to say something that actually offends me,

People used to have the great gift of being able to laugh at themselves. I still do, since I can be an enormous ditz, but better to laugh at yourself before someone else does it.

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Some words on that list are so horrible, I would never use them in a million years.

Maybe you would prefer some from the late 18th century? Yes, I looked them up.  Don't ask why but some are rather poetic.

Pleasure Pivot

Tirly-Whirly

Cupid's Kettle Drums

Bower of Bliss

Shaft of Delight

Gaying Instrument

Bowsprit (pretty good one, actually)

Tally-wag

Whistle and Bells

There are many more, some truly hysterically funny, but that's enough.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Considering your lust for our dear girl, Maggie, I would be very surprised if you were a connoisseur of all things penii (penal? Penist?) unless it's your own. 😄

Well far be it for me to blow my own trumpet..........

• LOL 2
(edited)

I once said Tallywhacker in class, it was english and teacher man was talking about sailing or something and said "tallyho" and I followed with tallywhacker.

I played french horn in junior high, although, I should say I "pretended" to play. Whenever we had performances I didn't actually play my instrument because I didn't want to be the one bleeting when we were at rest. So I mimed playing. Also once saw a kid, Nathaniel but we called him "Nutty" for good reason, drink his spit valve. Might be the grossest thing I've ever witnessed.

Edited by nachomama
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Does anyone here know how to play a musical instrument?

I used to play bass guitar at the semi-pro level. I never learned to read music, which is probably why I never got past the semi-pro level. 

Now I just play with myself. 😁

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

Now I just play with myself. 😁

We really are good at beating something to death! I loved those outtakes at the end of "Grumpy Old Men" when Burgess Meredith is throwing out all the euphamisms for sex. Taking the tug boat to tuna town was my favorite.

• LOL 5
(edited)
15 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

^^

It meant something different back then!

You sure about that?  😆

Which brings up another topic entirely.  Does anyone here know how to play a musical instrument?

I can play a mouth harp and a kazoo - does that count?

In truth, I can play a little on harmonica (badly) and tin whistle (a little better).  Among my post-retirement goals is learning how to play the guitar and/or bass; I’ve wanted to learn how to play for years.  When I was growing up we never had the money for things like music lessons; now I have the money, but my primary deficit is free time.  😞 

Anyone have any interesting hobbies?

Depends on what you consider ‘interesting’, don’t it now? 😄

My primary hobbies at this phase in life would be scuba diving, photography, dragon boating, and music festivals - or were, pre-2020.  🤬

[ETA: Actually I have a ton more hobbies than that, but most are temporarily(?) on the back burner- that whole lack of free time thingie again, donchaknow.]

I always wanted to learn how to play a musical instrument, but I could never learn to read music.  I am pathetically slow when it comes to learning and memory recall.

I’ve simply never had enough free time to seriously focus on an instrument, and the older I get the worse it’s probably going to get.  But I refuse to give up - yet.

Edited by Nashville
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I was listening to my Sirius XM 70s' on 7 this morning and the song Little Willy by Sweet was playing. I don't know what the heck this song is about but it seems to follow the latest theme we have going.

Edited by Iguessnot
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

I was listening to my Sirius XM 70s' on 7 this morning and the song Little Willy by Sweet was playing. I don't know what the heck this song is about but it seems the follow the latest theme we have going.

“...but you can’t push Willy ‘round - Willy won’t go....”. 🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 4

Most things I don't think are filmed, some pilots are shot way back and so new shows might actually have a better shot than normal years. I think most shows maybe finished last season but haven't started a new season yet so returning shows may get pushed back. but who knows?

Yesterday I got a lecture for being too nice. ha! at the call center job we are supposed to be nice, we call comcast customers and generally they're very angry and not happy so we are not allowed to cut them off, if they go off on a rant we just let them roll. Obviously if they start cussing us out we are allowed to end the phone call. That is not my problem, my problem is old people. On the one hand they are the only ones who want to take a survey but they are also just soooo freaking chatty. My questions are...on a scale of 1 to 10 how much do you like your cable tv/internet? They cannot, it is beyond their power to answer with a 1 to 10. They have to tell me how their cousins' brothers' neighbors' dog used to dig up the cable line. Yesterday the guy was chasing a wasp out of his garage, I said I could call him back at a better time. Nope, he's good. then he wanted discounts. I don't do that. I literally just take answers 1 to 10. I do have 1 section I can put in a note or special complaint. So he had to tell me about his adopted special needs kids and maybe his wife could get a discount as part of the educational something offered. We are supposed to just answer "I see" or "I understand" to most statements but if the man goes on for 10 minutes I can't say "I see" 56 times. He was searching for the word "buffering" cuz the kids watch the youtube and sometimes it's so slow to load up and so I asked "buffering?" and just said I'll put it in the notes. So my supervisor who listens in had to direct me that by asking about buffering it seems like I'm trouble shooting or by saying I'll put in the notes that he wants a discount for the wife, I'm being too helpful. I'm literally just trying to steer the man back to the survey while being polite. And it's astonishing that I'm nice at all, considering it's my second job and I do it after I do 10 hours at the day job and they do nothing but berate me and yell at me all day. You'd think I'd have frustrations and no fucks to give. sigh.

Yesterday at the printing job the "son in law" sent a file, that's always a trouble area, if it's a friend or family member because I don't get to talk to them like a customer. I get the info "relayed" to me and clearly they are clueless. What size is a normal sheet of paper? 8.5 x 11 and if you were going to make a tri-fold brochure we have templates for that. He sends me something that is 11.6929 x 8.26 so that's not anywhere close to anything. It's almost too big to fit on my normal paper that I run stuff on 12" so it's very tight on the page but my boss is screaming at me that he doesn't know what ruler I'm measuring with because when I said it doesn't fit he's all "it fits fine and it folds fine" where he would not accept that from a random customer, we make them fix their artwork. Many days I want to actively go attract the coronavirus so I can just get the fuck outta dodge.

• LOL 1
(edited)
On 6/24/2020 at 12:48 PM, icemiser69 said:

I always wanted to learn how to play a musical instrument, but I could never learn to read music. 

I never progressed to anything so technical, when I was about 9 or 10, we had a tryout in the school music class, to determine who was suited to which type of instrument, which basically meant that those who could purse their lips sufficiently were allocated a brass instrument, mine being a trumpet.

My illustrious musical career lasted as long as it took me to lift a trumpet off the table by the mouthpiece, which amazingly, who knew? slid out of said trumpet, resulting in a major dent in the trumpet’s bell as it hit the concrete floor. Louis Armstrong, count yourself lucky dude 🙄

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Superclam said:

I freakin' love the Sweet. So underrated. So is Slade.

I can only pray that you guys never had to endure the fashion that went with the ‘Glam Rock’ era, it’s a period that I blame for the mental scarring I experienced way before I became a teenager, the Bay City Rollers have a lot to answer for 😱

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

I can only pray that you guys never had to endure the fashion that went with the ‘Glam Rock’ era, it’s a period that I blame for the mental scarring I experienced way before I became a teenager, the Bay City Rollers have a lot to answer for 😱

I was a bit young for that, but I remember the Bay City Rollers. I like glam rock, and the fashion to me is more of period costumes than actual clothing. The 70s in general have a lot to answer to. 

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

I know who they are, but glam rock makes me want to watch "this is Spinal Tap" which I don't think I've ever seen all the way through and for the longest, longest time I didn't actually "get" because I thought they were a real band. I thought it was a real documentary and I didn't understand that knobs don't go to 11. I didn't understand why it was supposed to be funny.

• LOL 1
29 minutes ago, nachomama said:

I know who they are, but glam rock makes me want to watch "this is Spinal Tap" which I don't think I've ever seen all the way through and for the longest, longest time I didn't actually "get" because I thought they were a real band. I thought it was a real documentary and I didn't understand that knobs don't go to 11. I didn't understand why it was supposed to be funny.

Spinal Tap was a parody of 80s metal, not so much 70s glam rock. They did such a good job that a lot of people thought they were a real band. Anyone's who has been in a band can relate to at least one gag in Spinal Tap. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Spinal Tap was a parody of 80s metal, not so much 70s glam rock. They did such a good job that a lot of people thought they were a real band. Anyone's who has been in a band can relate to at least one gag in Spinal Tap. 

see? I'm just tooooooo young to get it. I was born in 2005 donchaknow

• LOL 1
(edited)
21 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I agree with you on Sweet.  As for Slade?  Not so much.  The song, Run Runaway, gets on my nerves.  That said, I wouldn't mind if it was 1984 again.  The year that song was released.

Still, Barry Manilow's, Copacabana, has to be one of the worst songs in the history of music.  The Beach Boys',  Kokomo is another song that causes me to run screaming into the night, and not in a good way.

To be fair, "Run Runaway" is about 12 years after their peak. I like their earlier stuff better. Noddy Holder is one of my favorite singers. But, everyone likes the music they like. 

I don't mind "Copacabana" for the silly schlock it is, but "Kokomo" is an abomination. "We Built This City on Rock n Roll" may be the lowest point in modern music, IMO. 

Edited by Superclam
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Superclam said:

"We Built This City on Rock n Roll" may be the lowest point in modern music, IMO. 

I hope this abomination never made it more than 20 miles across the Atlantic,

but it actually made No1 in the U.K charts, keeping unbelievably, this great song at No2, the greatest travesty in U.K pop history 😭

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 2

Lol, "Shadupa You Face" was a minor hit here in 1979 or so. I remember it was popular in summer camp that year. I have no problem with novelty songs. 

I've never heard the Ultravox song. I tend to not like that kind of mid 80s "new wave" or whatever you call that Spandau Ballet-esque kind of music. 

22 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I've never heard the Ultravox song. I tend to not like that kind of mid 80s "new wave" or whatever you call that Spandau Ballet-esque kind of music. 

HOW DARE YOU! SPANDAU BALLET IS MY FATHER.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
52 minutes ago, Superclam said:

I think It was late 80, early 81, I’m still so traumatised by the event it’s a bit hazy, they were ‘New Romantics’. I was 15 at the time so that period was ‘my’ time and apart from the 50’s, early 60’s, that was the best musical period for me, not withstanding that Italian dick 🙄

Edited by OoohMaggie