Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Nashville said:

“No dark orgasms in the classroom...”

(my crowd was in high school at the time)

Interesting. I've got "this land is my land, this land aint your land, I've got a shotgun and you aint got one. You better get off, before I blow your head off, this land was made for me not you" IF that aint the national anthem I don't know what is.

I was a very disturbed child...while I didn't know all the "things" I knew enough to be dangerous. I had heard the joke "What's the dirtiest thing ever said on television?" and the answer is - Mrs. Cleaver to her husband: "Ward, you were a little hard on the beaver last night."

But I didn't get it. "Beaver" didn't strike me as the titular word there. So my understanding of that joke was that Ward was molesting his kid. So I took it in a whole different direction. I'm not sure why I survived childhood being that dumb.

• LOL 4

We voted, pink and black were our colors. We wanted to have "18 and life" as our song but the mentors denied us because it has the word "suicide" in it. So we picked "Bad to the bone" hahahhahahahhahaha we were frikkin morons.

I do have all my yearbooks, I was on the yearbook staff. We have some terrible terrible yearbooks. There were some truly talented artists in my school but for some reason we had this kid draw us some weird little dude. It's kinda like the olympic mascot from Atlanta "Izzy" just a blue blob and Izzy is short for "whatisit?" which is the ultimate nothing. So our little dude was the same, a blob with eyes. but yet we coulda had some great stuff

• Useful 1
On 7/15/2020 at 3:16 PM, icemiser69 said:

A lot of people seem to crap on Styx.  I never understood why. 

The first I ever heard of Styx was in the very late 70’s, very early 80’s?  When they released the worlds first laser etched single, ‘The Best Of Times’. A good investment for the future I thought, after just checking online, I’m wondering just where I should spend my $5 profit after 40 years. It’s probably doing as well as my shares are at the moment though 😭

• LOL 1
On 7/14/2020 at 8:48 PM, nachomama said:

My father was a Tennessee Ernie Ford, Jim Reeves and Hank Williams kinda dude.

My Mother loved Reeves and Hank Snow, I love Hank Williams, senior obviously, ‘I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry’ was my jukebox favourite when travelling in the US 🥰

• Love 2
On 7/15/2020 at 7:57 PM, icemiser69 said:

The Wall, is a great album, but damn when it first came out back in the day, it received way too much airplay.

“If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

Those lyrics will resonate with most people in England who had to endure ‘school dinners’ in the 70’s, the whole song pretty much summed up school life here around that time and later, it had quite the following amongst us ‘kids’. 😒

• Love 1

It was a huge hit! You heard it blasting out of every car that year. 

While I remember some of the songs from the year I graduated high school, I don't believe we had a class song. My high school wasn't centralized, so there were a lot of people from all over. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Similar here.  If you don't eat your vegetables,🥦 you won't get any dessert.🍨

That’s exactly what it was in my junior school, “if you don’t eat your greens”, greens being dark leaves of some unspecified vegetable, boiled into submission in that morning’s dishwashing water.They were served with an ice cream scoop of mashed potato, no milk or butter involved but plenty of dark grey lumps 🤮

• LOL 1
16 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Is the virus stopping your class from having a reunion?

Yup.  This year was supposed to be our 40 year reunion.  Originally had it scheduled for June, then pushed back to September, then cancelled outright.

28 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I have some hard soda that I  bought three years ago, but ended up having all sorts of stomach trouble which meant I couldn't drink the stuff for the past three years.  Do you think it is still good, or should I toss it?

It probably still works, but will be flat. Unless you're committed to it, I say pour it down the sink and drink something else. 

29 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Never any interest in going, huh?

If you wait much longer, all you will have to talk about at a reunion is grandchildren and hemorrhoid cream.

Nah, we have a pretty active facebook group, so I stay caught up that way. No need to put on a suit and spend $150. 

• Useful 1

We were supposed to have one and I vaguely wanted to go since this was going to be my year of travel...anywho I've never attended one and I think they only get a few attendees and even have to combine 5 years at a time because we were such a small town. But the people I want to see still live there so seeing anyone else would just be a bonus.

So, Wednesday we had a "team" meeting, we all call in and then put ourselves on mute, team leader gives us talking points yada yada and for the 3rd meeting in a row, same chick, just won't stfu. She doesn't mute herself and there is no talking point that she does not have a comment or question. One of the leaders, honest to pete, I think was thisclose to just telling her "STFU if you just let me speak I will get to your question". Thursday we are just in our chat place and we have several new people on our team. So whenever they take a break they post "break" or "bathroom", this is not something our team has ever done. so Yappy McHappy posts "are we supposed to be announcing our breaks? was there something in the meeting I missed"? and no one answered for a few minutes. So a couple minutes later I posted "No, we are just co-dependent" which I don't think is particularly offensive, to her or anyone, really. And I usually throw in a random joke every day, I pick on our team leader (he can't cook so he always has uber eats delivered so I always ask "did you bring some for us?") and I poke fun at myself. I do no make fun of others because we are online and people may misconstrue what I say. So I thought I was pretty harmless. 15 minutes later she posts "some people are so nosey and speak when no one is speaking to them" clearly speaking to me. My team leader posted "relax, killa" and I suppose had a chat with her, no one ever said anything to me. I just keep the chat window closed, watch for pop ups but I won't be "chatting" anytime soon. I think she is one of the dumber people on our team, before we started work that day we had to "acknowledge" an email that we agreed to the terms of the meeting the day before and everybody had to walk her through how to find the email, then how to acknowledge the email. I didn't participate in any of that. So she can't say I had been picking on her all day or whatever. I think the things I say are harmless and pointed at myself ( or TeamLeader)  I don't think I'm an asshole 24/7 but if anyone is offended by what I say I'm not out trying to hurt people. Another girl on our team posted a comment along the lines of "I'm so proud of myself for not asking for vgh this week (voluntary go home...she asks EVERY FUCKING DAY) and I brought my score up and I brought my points down" We get 12 points, .5 off if you're late clocking in, 1 point if you're absent. late breaks, etc. SHE WAS AT 11.5. You take can earn or take off points by good attendance or making up time, other stuff. so she brought her points down to 10. Our QC scores are supposed to be a minimum of 94, it's kinda hard to score below 98 although I've gotten a 92 when some old lady just really had me off my game and I just couldn't get back on track with her. But usually the scoring is really, really easy. 94 is not difficult to mainting...her score was 70. So she was posting a congratulations to herself FOR DOING THE ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM BASICS OF HER JOB,  showing up and skating by on her scores. When she posted that I clapped just like everyone else. I didn't point out that it's literally the minimum amount of effort possible.

Anyway Yappy McHappy really pissed me off, if I had an official response it would be "suck my dick and choke on it, I yield my time" but since that would get me fired then I just removed myself from the situation. I might have taken it too personally but I don't think I'm just a jerk for jerks sake allll the time.

• LOL 1
23 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

So, they just won't move it to a future date, whenever people are able to have larger gatherings again?

Sure, we’re definitely doing it next year; most of the venues around here aren’t yet taking bookings that far in advance, though, so we just have to wait until closer to schedule.

BTW, do you usually have good attendance for your reunions?

yep - generally somewhere around 50%.  Most of the gap are people who dropped off the map, who nobody knows how to get in touch with any more - which doesn’t necessarily mean they choose not to attend.  Facebook and its ability to expand our hunt for MIAs accounted for nearly a doubling of attendance between our 25th and our 30th reunions.

As I have said far too many times before, I would never attend one, and from what I understand through the grapevine, attendance for most of them were around 20% or so, but they were being touted as a successes, it seems like a low turnout to me. 

Never say never. 🙂  
I’d suggest giving a “trial” attendance to one reunion; at worst your suspicions will be confirmed, while at best you might be pleasantly surprised.  Afterwards the decision of whether or not to attend any more will be an informed one, at least.

I have some hard soda that I  bought three years ago, but ended up having all sorts of stomach trouble which meant I couldn't drink the stuff for the past three years.  Do you think it is still good, or should I toss it?

Toss it; unlike wine, hard cider doesn’t get any better with age.

(The same applies to Zima, btw - and y’all can discuss amongst yourselves whether you REALLY want to ask me how I know that....)

Never any interest in going, huh?

If you wait much longer, all you will have to talk about at a reunion is grandchildren and hemorrhoid cream.

You might be surprised - keep in mind (a) there’s usually a bar and (b) y’all got the goods on each other going back years....  😉

• Useful 1
13 minutes ago, Nashville said:

(The same applies to Zima, btw - and y’all can discuss amongst yourselves whether you REALLY want to ask me how I know that....)

Since I don't really know any of you, I can admit it: I liked Zima. Must be at least 20 years since I've had one. 

• LOL 2
(edited)
45 minutes ago, Superclam said:

Since I don't really know any of you, I can admit it: I liked Zima. Must be at least 20 years since I've had one. 

Well... there is Zima, and then there is 15-year-old Zima - and trust me, there’s a difference. 😳🤢🤮

Edited by Nashville
Emoji attack!
  • LOL 2

I don't know about sham-pag-nee, my father had atrocious taste in booze, he once brought home pink champagne and I was like "are you 12?" and I was probably 12, I knew that was crap. We also drank zima in high school/college. I thought it tasted a bit like fresca, my mom liked fresca and I was this many years old when I realized fresca was supposed to be grapefruit flavored. In 600 years that wouldn't have been my guess for what it's "supposed" to taste like. I guess my parents both had some odd taste buds. My mother also liked peanut butter and miracle whip on crackers. *hurl*

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

What about champagne?  It has never been opened.  It just has been lying on it's side in the back of the refrigerator for at least a couple of decades.

I'm afraid you need to throw it out.

3 hours ago, nachomama said:

I don't know about sham-pag-nee, my father had atrocious taste in booze, he once brought home pink champagne and I was like "are you 12?" and I was probably 12, I knew that was crap. We also drank zima in high school/college. I thought it tasted a bit like fresca, my mom liked fresca and I was this many years old when I realized fresca was supposed to be grapefruit flavored. In 600 years that wouldn't have been my guess for what it's "supposed" to taste like. I guess my parents both had some odd taste buds. My mother also liked peanut butter and miracle whip on crackers. *hurl*

I knew Fresca was supposed to taste like grapefruit, but to me it tasted like saccharine. When I was a kid, we weren't allowed to have diet soda. We could very rarely have regular soda, but we were allowed as much Hawaiian Punch and Hi-C as we wanted. I only realized later that it was just soda without bubbles.  

• Love 1

I have never had champagne before, can anything bad happen if I try and drink it?

You can try it but you won't like it very much as champagne doesn't age the way fine wines do. You willl probably get flat, bad-tasting vinegar. I LOVE champagne and it's the only alcohol I can guzzle. A guy I worked with would invite us over. He was diabetic, so would use one of his needles to inject brandy into a strawberry and put the strawberries in the glasses of champagne. I do admit I got quite a buzz on.

I have always hated the taste of wine. 

It's an acquired taste. I never liked wine until I met my husband, probably because until then the only wine I'd had was cheap plonk from a corner store. I'm no connossieur, but I do dearly love a good Bordeaux or a delicious Cabernet Sauvignon. 🍷

• Useful 1

I LOVE champagne. I don't have it often, but when I do, I can't stop drinking it. So I don't have it often. 

Wine I can do without. I don't mind a cold, white wine once in a while. Red wine tastes like salad dressing to me. I have a wealthy friend whose father is a bit of a wine snob. He gave me a taste of some fancy, expensive red wine, and I was like "tastes like salad dressing." 

Beer? Yes. 

• Love 1

Worst hangover I’ve ever had in my life was from champagne.  A buddy and I were hanging out one weekend because our girlfriends were both out of town, we went to the local liquor store, and they were having a fire sale on Andre’s left over from New Year’s - like, a buck a bottle or something like that (keep in mind this was back around 1982 or thereabouts).  We bought a half-case of the crap, and I ended up drinking four-ish bottles in the course of one evening.  Woke up the next morning on my buddy’s couch with a taste in my mouth like I’d been chewing aluminum foil, and a little man in my head swinging a hammer and shouting “DID YOU HAVE A GOOD FUCKING NIGHT!?!?”  NOT recommended.

• LOL 2
15 hours ago, Superclam said:

I knew Fresca was supposed to taste like grapefruit, but to me it tasted like saccharine. When I was a kid, we weren't allowed to have diet soda. We could very rarely have regular soda, but we were allowed as much Hawaiian Punch and Hi-C as we wanted. I only realized later that it was just soda without bubbles.  

That is so funny. On the one hand they say now that diet sodas are terrible for you, the replacements for the sugar are worse than the sugar. But they do studies now where "healthy" fruit juices etc aimed at kids have so much more sugar than just a soda. Everything is corn syrup now. What I especially hate is that when I try to go buy juice and I'm looking for "no sugar added" rather than "sugar free" or even the ones that say "half the sugar" blah, blah every single on has maltodextrin or sucralose which is just the sugar substitute. I'm too lazy to squeeze my own oranges, but why can't I find just juice that nobody put nothing in? not sugar, not corn syrup, not fake sugar??

I've only recently discovered wine I like. I'm definitely not about the bouquet and fancy swirly sniff it and find out if it's oaky or has a fruity finish. Pop some ice cubes in a moscato and I'll go to town like it's kool-aid. Gimme a bottle for $2.50, I'm good.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Nashville said:

and they were having a fire sale on Andre’s left over from New Year’s - like, a buck a bottle

I just looked that up. Right now it's 3.99$ a bottle so you may have overpaid. 😂 I don't know what it is but calling it "champagne" might be a wee bit of a stretch and I think you may be lucky you woke up at all.

• LOL 2
17 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I didn't like the taste of Fresca or Tab.  And don't get me started on New Coke.

I absolutely LOVE Diet Coke. Since it's apparently worse for you than actual Coke, I only have it a few times a year. 

18 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I would like to try Dr. Pepper & Cream Soda, but I can't find it anywhere.  It sounds like an interesting combination.  Yes, it comes in the same can or bottle.

I have never heard of this. I am intrigued. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I don't know what it is but calling it "champagne" might be a wee bit of a stretch

In the same sense Octamom was a wee bit pregnant?  Sure.

7 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

and I think you may be lucky you woke up at all.

Didn’t feel lucky at the time; in fact, I distinctly remember waking up and being horrified to find out I was still alive.

• LOL 2
4 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Didn’t feel lucky at the time; in fact, I distinctly remember waking up and being horrified to find out I was still alive.

Oh, god. I remember feeling exactly that way when, in my foolish youth, I imbibed about 4 or 5 Black Russians. It tasted sweet. What did I know? I prayed for death.

• Love 2

Ok, since we're going with bad drinking experiences, my very first one: I was a late bloomer at 16. I was sleeping at a friend's house while his parents were away. We decided to drink. We didn't want his parents to know we were sneaking liquor, so we took a little from each bottle. A little vodka, a little gin, a little scotch, a little of this, a little of that, a bottle of Budweiser. We went to go bowling but never even made it in. I sat on the curb in front of the bowling alley and hurled for a time period I am not aware of. I vowed to never drink again, which actually lasted a few years. 

• LOL 3
13 minutes ago, Superclam said:

We didn't want his parents to know we were sneaking liquor, so we took a little from each bottle. A little vodka, a little gin, a little scotch, a little of this, a little of that, a bottle of Budweiser. 

I cannot begin to express the hilarious horror I felt upon reading this. 

• LOL 3

I'm scared of Dr. Pepper and Cream Soda.

One of my earliest drinking forays was Ruinite in the fridge, had been there forever so my neighbor friend and I put some in a cup and we made a "mixed" drink of it with coke. We were not intelligent kids...it was nasty. But we went down to the ditch to taste it. and soon I hear my mother calling me. She wanted to run errands so we hopped in the truck and she grabbed my face and said "why do you smell like alcohol?" again, here comes my intelligence...I told her we were drinking ginger ale. Because it had "ale" in the name, I thought it must taste and smell like beer. She did not buy it. For a brief moment the punishment was going to be having to drink a lot to get sick and never want to do it again. She talked it over with my oldest sister, where she had been caught smoking and had to eat or smoke an entire pack of cigarettes. Some did have the sense to think drinking is a little different with a 9 year old. But already the vileness of red wine and coke had put me off so lesson was learned.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I can't be the only one that remembers New Coke, that was awful.

I remember it. I thought the hype behind it was ridiculous, leading to the inevitable failure. The whole Cola Wars thing was ridiculous. So American. 

• Useful 1
On 7/22/2020 at 3:39 PM, icemiser69 said:

I didn't like the taste of Fresca or Tab.  And don't get me started on New Coke.

I do like ginger ale that is made with pure cane sugar.  It is the one thing that settles my stomach when it becomes inflamed (ulcers).

I would like to try Dr. Pepper & Cream Soda, but I can't find it anywhere.  It sounds like an interesting combination.  Yes, it comes in the same can or bottle.

I purchased the Dr Pepper Cream Soda at Target.

3 hours ago, Superclam said:

Yes, we call it seltzer here, but it's carbonated water or soda water or club soda depending on where you're from. 

Yeah, it's really refreshing on a hot day. I got two - lemon and lime - and mixed them. This what I call an exciting even in my life lately. 😁

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Yeah, it's really refreshing on a hot day. I got two - lemon and lime - and mixed them. This what I call an exciting even in my life lately. 😁

Whoa! Slow it down!! 

My wife gets them in all kinds of flavors. I kind of like the lemon/lime and other citrus flavors. She goes for the weird caffeinated flavors that I can skip. 

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

Whoa! Slow it down!! 

My wife gets them in all kinds of flavors. I kind of like the lemon/lime and other citrus flavors. She goes for the weird caffeinated flavors that I can skip. 

My next big foray will include buying the orange-flavoured kind! Can't wait. I bought a few of these waters before I wised up, and got ones that has aspartame or some crap in them and ended up pouring them down my sink. Why is there sugar in water? Are adults not attracted to anything that is not artifically sweetened?

• Love 2

All the flavors I drink say sugar and sweetener free on the label, and have zero calories. There's LaCroix, Bubly and Polar, to name but a few brands. I don't know what's available near you, you're in Western Canada if I recall?

Usually the flavors I think I'll like end up being not so good. I like Cherry Bubly. I like watermelon the fruit, but not in seltzer form. 

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Superclam said:

I don't know what's available near you, you're in Western Canada if I recall?

Eastern - Quebec, actually.  I just began noticing this stuff on the shelves.

There's LaCroix, Bubly and Polar

I don't know if we have those here. There's lots of things we can't get here if the manufactuer doesn't want to go to the expense of printing French/English labels on their products just for this place.  "Bed Bath & Beyond" won't even ship to us.

• Love 1
On 7/23/2020 at 3:43 PM, icemiser69 said:

I can't be the only one that remembers New Coke, that was awful.

On 7/23/2020 at 5:32 PM, Superclam said:

I remember it. I thought the hype behind it was ridiculous, leading to the inevitable failure. The whole Cola Wars thing was ridiculous. So American. 

New Coke was ghastly. and I have no idea why people like seltzered waters, I just can't. I really can't understand the seltzered beer/wine trend. White Claw, now budweiser has their own thing. Truly I think is one. I DO NOT GET IT. They barely have any flavor, like I specifically wanted to try the cherry one. I dont even get a hint of cherry but then, THEN, it has the abismal seltzery thing going on and for the price they want to charge me if I wanted to get drunk they can shove it.

I have an interview on Wednesday. This is a trainer position with the part time job, thus it would make it my full time job. I could finally get out of the toxic day job. Definitely more money and already I have benefits such as healthcare (could afford better on the better salary) and paid time off. Already have a 401K but again, more would go into it. So I have to call in about 4 oclock on Wednesday, the interview is supposed to be 30 minutes, of which, I have to do a "presentation" they give me a scenario and I prepare 10 minutes. So I have to explain a "task", explain why the task is important and teach the task then they grade how much "retention" they think my teaching brings. This is absolutely my worst nightmare. I don't care for public speaking and if you'd asked me 3 years ago I would have also said I would never see myself calling random people up to have them reject me repeatedly. I've done rather well, I'm banking on my CPH for my "teaching" task. Literally how to get someone to take your phone call in the 2 seconds before they hang up on you. 95% of the job is failure, no answers or immediate hang ups. If I had to put a finger on why I maybe do slightly better than average, amongst my peers, is "acting". If you act like you want to talk to them, they tend to want to talk to you. I'm reading a script and a very boring one at that. They are annoyed by my call (rightfully) sometimes hostile or suspicious. You have barely a toe in the door to swing them one way or the other. Law of averages, most people answering the phone are older so my "teaching" is thus...acting like you're trying to get $5 out of your grandma. You are polite, ever so slightly ass-kissy. laugh at their jokes. Most americans are inherently polite (we're no Canada, for sure) but if my script says "Can I speak with... or Am I speaking with...?" I add please. I'm reverse psychology-ing them from the get-go. We find it hard to be mean to nice requests. So if I don't sound like a robot and have a tiny bit of enthusiasm and I'm nice it eases them in. After that they're too polite to hang up or say no. For the "presentation" part I"m going to print up fake money and I'll be the grandma, if my callers earn my grandma bucks they can cash them in for treats. It's straight up bribery but they told me "be creative" and if my goal is them remembering why the "task" is important they do well with money and candy. I remember during my training class everybody had to go around and read the script and 1 person played the caller and another the callee so my trainer really hammered this one kid. I noticed that women in the class were natural talkers, men not so much. There were only 3 dudes but they stunk up the script something horrible but I know there's one thing every man can relate to...charming a lady, whether it's grandma or a hotty. If you feel like you gotta turn it on, you turn it on. So it's not so much embarrassment to them to read the script its more like showing off the money. It's a game and give them something they're competing for. Yes this is long winded, lemme know if I sound like a moron.

• Useful 1

I like the flavored seltzers, but I actually like plain seltzer the best. I think it's a family thing, my dad drank gallons of the stuff. 

I've never had a White Claw. There seems to always be an attempt to try to have alcoholic drinks taste like soda. Wine coolers, flavored seltzers, alcho-pop. Aimed at the underage drinking crowd. 

• Love 1

I like the orange and cream kind, it has a faint taste of a Creamsicle.

Yeah! There's an orange/vanilla one I like, probably similar to what you're describing. 

Henry's Hard Soda is really good.

That doesn't appeal to me at all. It's almost like we're all different people who like different things! 🤪

• LOL 2
13 hours ago, nachomama said:

95% of the job is failure, no answers or immediate hang ups.

It must be tough. With the hordes of phone scammers and pests out there today - "My name is Steve Smith and I'm calling from Vindows. Your computer is sending out errors. I can fix it for 9,000$. Just give me remote access to your computer so I can get into your bank account" - I would think most people, like me, no longer answer the phone when it's a weird number, a number they don't recognize and/or no caller ID. I figure if it's legit, they'll leave a message. Surprise - none ever do.

It's almost like we're all different people who like different things! 🤪

If we all liked the same things, there would be no point in discussion boards. At the very least they'd be incredibly boring! 😄

• Love 2